Yaya's Voice (part 3 of 13)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Asakust

Back to Part 2 Untitled Document

Italic – for thoughts.

Italic and underline – for Yaya’s written lines.

Bold – for shouting.

Underline – for Yaya’s mouthed lines.

----------

Tsubomi: What’s wrong with you?!

I had chosen to wear my orange sundress today, since I rarely get the chance to wear it. I had brushed my hair and checked my appearance on my mirror about five times over, and I was glad to see that the yellow sandals and yellow purse I went well with my dress. Not that I’m trying to impress anyone but a girl has got to look her best after all. I left my room soon after, hoping to see Yaya-sempai waiting for me outside… but sadly it seemed that she’s running late.

How rude… she asked me out of a date. She should have been early!’ I cursed inwardly but immediately shrugged it off. I stood by outside the dorm’s entrance and enjoyed the morning breeze. I found myself thinking and recalling the events that lead me here…

Yesterday… Yaya-sempai asked me to go out with her today. I thought that maybe Yaya-sempai was jealous of Hikari-sempai? You can really blame me or the rumors, I know that Hikari-sempai is going out with Ootori-sama. And although Yaya-sempai is always encouraging Hikari-sempai I wonder if Yaya-sempai also likes Ootori-sama. And there was also that rumor that Yaya was turned down by Ootori-sama after they had walked out of the cafeteria yesterday. I wonder if any of it was true… As I waited for Yaya-sempai at the front gates of the dorm, I began to recall what I’ve observed of her for the past few days.

Yaya-sempai would be nowhere insight. I know all to well that Hikari-sempai was worried. Not that I was worried about her or Yaya-sempai, but she was the choir’s ace after all so she should really show more dedication else a lot of the junior choir members might catch her bad habit. Hikari-sempai told me that she hadn’t seen Yaya-sempai for days. I had been wondering what had happened between them again… Come to think of it, they never did tell anyone what happened between them the first time.

The day before yesterday, Hikari-sempai told me that Yaya-chan was back but unfortunately had lost her voice. I guess that could explain why she was missing. But still she could have just told us, we would have understood. But I guess that Yaya-sempai is just like that. Not that I know her very well!... We’re not exactly close or anything, we’re just in the same club that’s all!

I’ve decided to give her a piece of my mind as soon as I find her… Which I unfortunately I had to cancel, seeing that she was following Ootori-sama out of the cafeteria. There were a lot of talks about the first years about it. Mostly speculative talks and made up rumors about Yaya-sempai’s long absence. Some of which are a little too lewd and embarrassing to repeat. A lot of students tried to follow them, probably to confirm any of the rumors.

At our practice yesterday, Hikari-sempai had mentioned that Yaya-sempai didn’t return to class after lunch break. Luckily our leader wasn’t feeling well and decided to call of the practice. Hikari-sempai decided to look for Yaya-sempai or Ootori-sama to ask either about their talk. I had decided to go back to the dorms after I grab some juice at the cafeteria. I would never have guessed who I’d run into there…

I was snapped back into reality when I felt someone blowing air on my neck…

IYAAAAAAAAA!!!” I jumped and screamed loudly then turned almost to attack whoever it was that did it. I wasn’t surprised to say the least to learn that it was Yaya-sempai, laughing quite heartily even though all you hear was the sound of her breathing or should I say the sound of her trying to breathe. ‘Speak of the devil…’

Yaya-sempai! Why did you do that?!” I asked rather angrily. Though that made my heart skip a beat and seeing her in her bold casual clothes; which consisted of a loose red top a white vest, a black belt bag that she hung loosely on her waist, a tight fitting blue denim shorts, a pair of red sneakers and a red baseball hat with her long black hair tied into a pony tail hanging out of the hat’s back hole. I found her pretty dressed like that. But… I’d never admit that to her.

She slowly recovered from her laughing fit and wrote on her notebook: ‘Because without my voice, I have to find more creative ways to tease you.’ She giggled as she showed it to me.

“You should grow up and not do it at all. Besides I’m already coming with you as a favor.” I lectured her like I usually do, even though Yaya-sempai doesn’t really listen to me. I looked at her and was surprised to see a soft smile on her face.

You’re right. I apologize. I won’t do it anymore.’ She wrote and showed me. Who would have thought that Yaya-sempai could be reasonable… but then again… The Yaya-sempai I know is a trickster and a tease, she could be planning something, I should probably be more careful.

“Anyway… where are we going?” I picked up my purse, which I had accidentally dropped when she blew air on my neck.

Yaya-sempai just nodded and opened her notebook which revealed a note that said that she had a 10 a.m. appointment with a doctor at one of the city’s hospital.

Eh?! Why didn’t you ask Hikari-sempai then? I mean she’s worried about you! You know!”

But she just smiled and flipped a few pages. ‘That’s exactly why I asked you instead. I know she’ll get even more worried about me if she knows what’s wrong.’

Her response surprised me, I mean how did she know that I was going to ask her that? But then I just thought of it as one of Yaya-sempai’s qualities as a friend. Not counting the days she was avoiding everyone of course. That was very thoughtless of her.

“But still she’s your best friend isn’t she? I’m sure she’d want to know.” I argued. “I mean we could probably ask her to come with us.”

But then sempai frowned, and wrote; ‘She’s going out with Ootori-sama today. I’d really not want to ruin their plans.’ I didn’t have any response for that one. Just a sad and disappointed nod as we walked towards the nearest train station. She walked quietly beside me almost tripping and bumping her head on a few lamp posts.

About an hour later, we arrived at the Hospital. Though it was a wonder how we got there in time and in one piece seeing that Yaya-sempai was behaving very oddly the whole way here. If anything, I feel like the reason she asked me to come is to snap her out of the daze she’s in every now and again. I almost lost her at the train a while ago. I had to put my arm around hers just so that I don’t loose her before we got here.

She didn’t have to wait long for the doctor to see her. The nurse asked me to wait in the lobby. But Yaya-sempai looked a little uneasy when I let go of her arm. Not that I blame her… Not after how I saw her yesterday…

I found Yaya-sempai was sulking on one of the cafeteria’s corner tables. It was one of the tables that were almost hidden from view, covered by some indoor plants and big soft sofa like diner bench chairs. I approached her fully intent on lecturing her to shape up. But as I got closer, I noticed that her left wrist was wrapped in a slightly blood soaked bandage. Her eyes were closed, I had almost thought that she had fainted and needed medical assistance. But as I got closer, her eyes flew open and looked at me. I felt a bit angry, but I didn’t really know why and I think that I didn’t hide it the least. But to my surprise she didn’t look like she was the least bit worried or threatened by my presence, this is so unlike her. Instead she smiled as she flipped her notebook open and wrote:

Tsubomi-chan, are you doing anything tomorrow?’ I read the note, and more or less confirmed that Yaya-sempai really did loose her voice. But I had to be sure, so I thought I’d do something that would make her talk.

She just watched me with a curious gaze as I sat beside her. I looked at her straight in the eye. She looked nervous by my standards and was about to write something again when… I placed my hands on her sides and began tickling her. She gasped and laughed, twitching and struggled to break free from my hold. I kept it up for a nearly a minute, but she didn’t let out a sound other than the sound of her breathing. When she had recovered from laughing she then wrote: ‘what the hell was that for?!’

Hahaha… I’m sorry Yaya-sempai. I just wanted to confirm if it was true that you lost your voice.” I apologized but couldn’t hold my laughter. She just looked at me and sighed before leaning on the table all depressed. I guess I went a little too far.

She closed her eyes for a while. I had a chance to take a good look at her. She looked a little skinnier than I could remember; I wonder if she had been skipping meals as well. Her uniform seemed dirty, like she had fallen on her back. And lastly the bloodied bandaged… I had wondered where or how she got that injury. Don’t tell me she almost committed … ‘suicide?’

“Yaya-sempai! You didn’t?!” grabbed her hand pointing at the injury. But she just looked at me with an almost lifeless stare, before flipping her notebook open and wrote: ‘Didn’t what?’

I initially thought that she was playing dumb, like she usually does. I acted on instinct and said “You didn’t try to commit suicide didn’t you?” I had almost yelled that out. But it was a good thing that not many students were in the cafeteria.

Her eyes just looked at me and blinked in confusion. For a moment I noticed her eyes fall on her bandaged wrist, her eyes widened a little seemingly realizing what I mean. She then opened her notebook and wrote; ‘I got scratched running away from Ootori…’ I found it odd why Yaya-sempai called Ootori-sama… Ootori. She used to call her Amane, without any honorific… Like a close friend… or rival.

I read on as she continued trying to hold my tongue long enough for her to write down what she wants to. ‘…but that seems like a good idea right now…’ I cringed at that, I felt angrily... but I didn’t know to whom I was angry… Yaya-sempai wasn’t like herself. I was about to yell when I saw her hands move continuing to write. ‘… would anyone miss me? When I’m gone?’ I was shocked to say anything.

Why is she so depressed? Is it so bad that she wants to die? Who else is involved? I bet each of these questions will only raise more questions after them. And as I looked at her it didn’t seem like the right time to ask.

I composed myself and tried to not look too concerned. “I’m not doing anything tomorrow. What did you have in mind?” I tried not to look at her, I turned my attention to check if there were eavesdroppers listening in our conversation. Thankfully there were none. Coz I screamed when I saw…

Let’s go on a date!’ was her readied response. The page had drawings of characters that I assumed to be of me and her walking hand in hand shaded and colored with different colored pens emphasizing her words even more. She was smiling quite widely. But it looked like it was forced to me. But I dared not bring it up. After I recovered from the shock, I agreed… slightly reluctant and maybe even a little regretful.

Yaya-sempai is a really difficult person to understand… One moment you’re so concerned that she’s depressed, next thing you know she’s asking you out on a date. I mean, Yaya-sempai is cool and talented and all that… She’s quite a beauty as well, though Hikari-sempai is much more cute and responsible. I mean… I don’t know anymore… maybe I’m kind of disappointed that this was just a hospital trip.

My thoughts were thankfully interrupted when Yaya-sempai took my hand and urged me to follow her. I had my doubts about this, I offered that she should go in alone, after all she deserves the right to keep whatever it is she has secret from everyone if she wants. But had it been any other day I think Yaya-chan wouldn’t even ask me to be here with here. She writes in her notebook; ‘I’m a bit afraid th...’

I can’t help but feel a little touched. ‘Does she trust me that much?... at least enough to tell me that she’s afraid of something.’ I thought. I mean who would have guessed that Yaya-sempai who’s only close friend is Hikari-sempai would ask me instead of her best friend. I didn’t wait for her to finish, she had lowered herself enough right? I closed the notebook and smiled. “Let’s go.” I said as I took her hand.

Yaya-sempai looked at me with a confused sad gaze for a few seconds. Her lips move and I could tell that she said; my name… and thank you, for some reason before letting out a genuine soft smile and nods.

We entered the room where the doctor was waiting for Yaya-sempai. I apologized for the both of us for taking up her time. But the doctor seemed nice enough and said that she didn’t mind. She then asked us to sit down before she began telling us the news of Yaya-sempai’s condition. Sempai was shaking; I could see and feel her shaking. I placed a hand on hers which clutched the ends of her denim shorts and held her hand tight. I could see a tiny smile crept up her lip when I did. Which made me feel… happy.

“Nanto, Yaya-san all the tests say…” The doctor paused and looked at the report sheets about twice over. Sempai had her eyes closed; I could only guess what was on her mind.

“…that your throat is fine.” She finished. The doctor sounded rather confused and surprised.

Without thinking I reacted… “How could that be?!” I stood from my seat and yelled at the doctor. “If her throat is fine then why can’t she speak!?”

The room went silent for a while. The doctor pondered a bit. I turned to look at sempai. She looked disappointed but not as shocked as I was, probably almost expecting the results but hoping something else was wrong.

“My personal opinion would be that she had suffered some kind of mental or emotional trauma that had led her to subconsciously desire not to talk anymore… But that’s only my opinion. I have to be honest I’m as shocked as you are miss.” She addressed me, rather professionally. I fell back onto my seat after. I felt loss and sorry for Yaya-sempai.

“I can recommend a psychiatrist if you want.” I turned to Yaya, and saw her shaking her head.

“Why not sempai?” I was curious as to why she didn’t want see one.

She slowly opens her notebook, with the same lost, depressed look in her eyes. But instead the doctor answered. “Well I can understand… Psychiatrists are quite expensive. And it’s not even sure if they can really help you.” I doubted her words, I know what she said was by fact true… but I doubt that Yaya-sempai didn’t want to see a Psychiatrist for a different reason. And at that point I just didn’t want to press her anything against her will.

“I see…” At that point there was nothing left to do but thank the doctor for her time, pay the doctor’s fee and leave the hospital.

We were on our way to the train station when, Yaya-sempai suddenly lets go of my hand.

“Yaya-sempai, you’ll get lost if you don’t hold on to me!” I playfully lectured her, trying to sound as much as I normally do.

She looks at me and smiles. She flips thru the pages of her book searching for a page, when she finds it she holds onto my hand again and show’s me the colorful page yesterday. It says: Let’s go on a date!’ once again… I am shocked. I looked at her questioningly.

She looked serious, her amber eyes looked sad but I could tell that she wanted to cheer up somehow. She looked almost pleading like a little puppy, I didn’t really have to think about it to long.

I smiled and took her hand again. “Let’s go then!”

I was more than happy to see Yaya-sempai beamed at my response.

We enjoyed a slow stroll around the entertainment streets of the city, Yaya-sempai would occasionally pull me into random shops every now and again.

One such shop was frilly dress shop where I had the displeasure of being sempai’s dress up doll. She had forced me into a few sundresses, one of which was a pink one laced with a few red frills around the neck, shoulders and skirt ends. Yaya-sempai forbade me to look in the mirror while she inspected me in the pink and red dress.

“Yaya-sempai…” I sounded almost begging to get out of here. I was very embarrassed I know that people do these things on dates but… I mean… sempai and I aren’t like that. I then saw Sempai’s look brighten like she had gotten an idea, she walks a way for a bit and looks for something. I was very tempted to look in the mirror behind me but I felt like she was going to look back at anytime and didn’t dare. She returns with a small red purse and a red lacy ribbon on her hands and tied it on my hair. She looks at me and straightens up the dress. I noticed that she was smiling almost like she had forgotten her troubles. I have to say that her smile is infectious and I couldn’t help but smile myself.

She then motions for me to look at the mirror; I noted that she was about write something. I turned and looked at myself and almost didn’t recognize me. “Is that me?” I asked rather dumbfounded. I don’t mean to brag but I know that I’m pretty… but wow… I… I’m…

You’re cute!’ was what she wrote…

“Just cute?” I asked without masking the disappointment in my voice.

But she just shook her head and tapped the note again, with a big smile on her face. That’s when I realized that “cute” was Yaya-sempai’s complement to beauty. I blushed as I recall Yaya-sempai always teasing Hikari-sempai about being cute in anything… ‘I wonder if I can ever be that cute.’

I then watched her pick up the clothes that I was wearing in here before she walked to the cashier and write something on her notebook. The lady nods with a smile after seeing the note. I walked up to sempai wondering what it was that she told her.

“Yaya-sempai. What did you… tell… her?” I was shocked to see that she was holding a credit card with the note.

With a smile she showed me the note that said: ‘My friend will be wearing the dress on the way out.’

“You’re buying this dress?!!” I yelled, and managed to embarrass myself to a few customers. But Yaya-sempai just waved at them to mind their own businesses.

She nods and writes: ‘Because you’re so cute in that!’ I blushed brightly as soon as I saw the words you and cute.

I began wondering if Yaya-sempai was… ‘No way! That couldn’t be true… right?! I’m sure that she’s just trying to repay me for accompanying her to the doctor… Yeah that’s it… haha…’ I somehow managed to disappoint myself. I didn’t notice the cashier walk up behind me and take off the price clips that made sure the item can’t be stolen. I watch as Yaya-sempai pay for my new dress. It must have cost her quite a lot. I heard that her family is rich and all but…

She walks up to me, carrying the shop’s bag where my clothes and bag are now in. I was about to take them but she surprised me by taking my arm and escorting me out of the shop. We began walking around again… I felt a little embarrassed to be wearing this out here, and even more embarrassed that Yaya-sempai was walking around holding onto me like we were… lovers.

She leads me into a nice café. I was about to seat opposite of her but I saw her pointing on the seat beside her. And for some reason… I found myself sitting beside her, finding it almost impossible to say no to her. She held an arm around my waist bringing me closer to her seat and that was when the waitress decided to come over. She was blushing and looked almost envious, when she noticed Yaya-sempai’s arm was around me. “Welcome to Linden Baum. My name is Mai and I’ll be you’re waitress for today. Are you ready to order?” she asked trying to sound very polite and cheerful, despite the awkward situation.

I ordered a sandwich and a strawberry float while sempai pointed at pasta dish and a mango parfait. The blushing waitress quickly went away to get our orders. I turned to Yaya-sempai, and she had her eyes closed while resting her head on my shoulder.

“Yaya-sempai?...” I shook her a little but I soon realized that she had fallen asleep on my shoulder.

That was fast…’ I thought about waking her, but quickly decided that it was ok. I mean, she’s been thru a lot… even though I don’t know what had happened to her I felt that she’s trying to deal with it on her own. I kind of had a new found respect for Yaya-sempai. I allowed her to take a short nap while we wait for the food to be served.

As I was watching Sempai’s sleeping face, I couldn’t help but blush at the thoughts that crossed my mind. I had almost slapped myself just to regain composure. But just as I thought I was getting used to this… Yaya-sempai suddenly shifted and her head fell and laid on my lap. I swear I thought I was going to scream when I felt her hair tickle my legs. But that wasn’t my only problem; some of the other customers were beginning to stare at me. ‘This is so embarrassing…’

And just for a second I thought I heard Hikari-sempai calling Yaya-sempai. I looked around, but didn’t see her so I had assumed that my mind was playing tricks on me… Maybe the food was taking too long.

Minutes later the waitress returned with our order, blushing even harder after seeing where Sempai’s head was now. She quickly but carefully placing our orders in front of us and said to me: “Please take your time and call me if you need anything else.”

The “take your time” sounded malicious to me…’ I thought. I pinched myself hoping that this was a big embarrassing dream. ‘… Guess it’s not.’

She winked and quickly made her way to another table to attend to other customers. Having her leave made me a bit relieved somehow. I shook sempai’s shoulder trying to wake her up. “Sempai. Sempai!”

Her eyes slowly opened and she looked at me, still lying on my lap. ‘Tsu-bo-mi’ I saw her spell my name with her lips. I just smiled.

“The food is here sempai. Let’s eat.” She nodded and yawn before trying to get off my lap.

“Itadakimasu!” I said as I clasped my hands together before I began eating.

In the middle of the meal, sempai suddenly took one of my sandwiches and ate it. “Ah! Sempai! That was mean.”

She just smiled and rolled some of her pasta onto her fork and held it out for me to eat. ‘She’s… She’s… She’s going to feed me!’

She open’s her mouth; I could almost hear her pronouncing “Aaaaah……” for me, making me open my mouth.

I was embarrassed, but I kind of liked it somehow. I could feel my heart beating faster. I opened my mouth and allowed the food’s entry. The tasty white sauce, mixed with some cheese and bits fish filled my mouth tingling my taste buds. I was better than the sandwich I ordered.

“That was delicious!” I told her. She smiled and offered me another fork roll of pasta. We shared the rest of our meal. It was embarrassing for me, but for some reason Yaya-sempai didn’t seem the least bit embarrassed.

Sempai paid using her credit card for both our meals, I tried to pay my share but she had hidden my wallet. I’m guessing she did it while I was changing into this pink dress. I felt angry at her for doing so, but I also felt flattered that she bothered doing so just to make sure she would be paying for both of us.

We then continued our stroll around town. Yaya-sempai insisted that we watch a movie. I agreed not knowing that she had chosen a horror move until we were inside. I was screaming and holding onto her the whole movie… I'm sure she chose a scary movie on purpose... After that she dragged me into a game center saying that it could help make me forget about the horror movie. We played a few games, most of which I lost against her. But only because I wasn't fully comfortable with what I was wearing, at least not yet.

When she got tired of wining, we continued exploring for more shops. I found myself being dragged into a art supply shop. Where I found myself watching the owner carve something out of a piece of wood while I waited for Sempai to get what she wanted. I was surprised to see her bring a sketchpad, a box of colored pencils, a big box of expensive oil paint a few different brushes, an easel and a few ready canvases. The owner stopped his carving and proceeded to calculate the total amount of her purchase.

“Sempai… isn’t that a little too much?” I asked rather surprised with the sheer amount of items she decided to buy. “How are we going to carry all this?”

“Don’t worry little miss. We can deliver it to you later for a little fee.” The owner smiled, seemingly happy to see that Yaya-sempai was quite a buyer. “You can also call us if you ever need more supplies.” He hand’s Yaya-sempai a business card.

Sempai just nods and happily pays for all the items. The owner then takes our dorm’s address and sempai’s contact details just incase. He then packs them and sets them aside. “I’ll have them sent as soon as one of my delivery men gets back from the last order.”

I thanked him for Yaya-sempai, before being unnecessarily dragged out of the shop with her arm wrapped around mine. We ended up in a instrument shop where Yaya-sempai astonished me by playing “Cannon” on a violin. I swear my jaw dropped so low I thought I dislocated it. When she ended there was a big applause from all the customers. Yaya-sempai bowed gracefully, and replaced the instrument on it’s stand.

“Sempai… where did you learn that?” I had to ask. She wrote that she had violin and piano lessons, before she transferred to Spica. ‘She plays the Piano too?!’ I felt faint… Yaya-sempai’s talents are just too much. How can one person have so many talents but not have any dedication to them… ‘It’s so unfair…’

After the instrument shop, we started heading back to the train station. We stopped only for some iced tea to refresh ourselves before slightly long train ride back to Astrea Hill. The train was almost empty when we rode. I swore I saw a few Spica students from Yaya-sempai’s year level. They glanced at us just when Yaya-sempai decided to use my lap as a pillow again. I was blushing yet again. I kept my head down trying not to make eye contact with the few people that were there.

The train arrived at Astrea Hill. I was more that glad Yaya-sempai woke up before anyone had the chance to actually see her lie on me up close. We allowed everyone else to disembark first, knowing that the train won’t be leaving soon.

Yaya then tapped my shoulder and showed me a note: ‘I had a good time!’

“M… m… me too…” I had trouble saying it… but I’m glad I did. She smiled and offered me her arm. I blushed as I took it and allowed her to lead me out of the train.

We were silent as we walked towards the dorm. Or maybe I should say I was silent, Yaya-sempai really had no choice in the matter. That twenty minute walk to the dorms seemed like seconds for once. We reached the dorm’s entrance and I was disappointed that my day with her has to end already. I had unconsciously stared at sempai the whole way, if she noticed she either didn’t mind or she didn’t care… or so I thought.

She grinned as she wrote: ‘Let’s do this again sometime!’

I blushed and nodded.

With both hands she gently cupped the sides of my face, and then the next thing that happened surprised me more than anything that happened today…

to be continued.

Author’s Notes: Yep Mai Tokiha makes her cameo from Mai-Hime again. and know that the café is the name of the café she works in, at least in the anime. I had trouble with writing this XD I felt lazy for a while. And to those wondering if Yaya is that talented. ;; I don’t really know. But I’d like to think she is.

Now for an Omake!:

Yaya: Eh?! There were rumors!?!

Tsubomi: Yeah! A whole lot of them!

Yaya: Like what?

Tsubomi: there’s this one where given a 2 week suspension for breaking some rule. Which a lot of us found probable knowing you…

Yaya: Shut up… what else?

Tsubomi: there was also one where, you ran away and eloped with someone…

Yaya: Unlikely… anything else?

Tsubomi: well there was where Ootori-sama had been keeping you in her room as her love slave, which could explain why no one could find you for the last few days… But this one was fairly new, and sprang up only after they saw you following Ootori-sama

Yaya: (gasps, eyes wide opened.) …WAAA?!! … Girls these days are such perverts…

Tsubomi: you just insulted the both of us as well. Yaya-sempai…

Yaya: (sweat drops) …

Amane: That last one sounded interesting…

Yaya: (gulp)

Hikari: (gasp blush)

Tsubomi: (gasp)

Amane: (grin)

Omake End

Onwards to Part 4


Back to Yaya's Voice Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction