Astraea Lake (part 9 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 8 Untitled Document

Momomi staggered slightly, wincing as the buckets lacerated her hands. I’m not cut out for this. I’m totally not cut out for this. This is menial physical labour, for Christ’s sake! I should have people to do this stuff. She sighed and struggled on, biting her lip. But isn’t it just a little pathetic that I can barely make this distance, while Amiki was able to get all the way in a third of the time and double back to help Olesa? What kind of girl is she, anyway? It isn’t ladylike at all…well, Kaname would be the same, but she has a reason. Who is Amiki, anyway? I always focused on Olesa, but I don’t know much about her. Was I looking in the wrong place? No, Olesa would have covered Amiki’s tracks for her, such as they would be. Like Kaname and I. Come to that, I wonder whether Kaname would help me with this? She smiled at her own thoughts. Yeah, right. Don’t get too wishful, Momomi. If she did it, it’d be to emphasise her supremacy. I’d definitely refuse to let her help me. Well, probably, but my body’s hurting. Water’s so heavy; it’s just not fair.

“Hey, hurry it up already,” Amiki said, watching her struggle. “You’re hopeless, aren’t you?”

“Well… forgive me…” Momomi muttered. “Someone bruised me in every conceivable place just recently, you see.”

“Hey, I pulled the punches. You’d be in a hospital otherwise.”

“A great thing to say after the fact,” Momomi noted caustically.

“Whatever.”

Momomi staggered on, finally reaching the other two. She dropped the buckets without ceremony, splashing some of the water across the floor. She was already sweating heavily.

“Idiot. Mop that up.”

“You don’t have to tell me.” She started to mop up after herself, cursing Kariya in a variety of inventive ways.

They fell to work, starting to mop the floor first because that was easy. Supposedly. Momomi sighed. I’m sure actual cleaners don’t have to use buckets like this. They must have it better organised. But our school is obscure about punishments. Why do I want to stay here again?

“I’ll cover the left section, you can do the right,” Amiki said to Olesa. “Is that fine?”

“That’s fine.”

“Your grip is wrong,” Amiki chided. “Spread your hands a bit more, and hold it further up the shaft. That way you won’t have to bend your back to reach the floor.”

“Right.”

“Here, I’ll show you. Like that.” Amiki leaned over, moving Olesa’s hands slightly, then stepping back and picking up her own mop again.

“Thanks,” Olesa said, getting to work again. Momomi tried to imitate her new position as surreptitiously as possible.

“I can’t believe that Kariya, though,” Amiki continued. “Making us do this.”

Too hard for you? That’s what Momomi would have said. But she was saving her breath, it would be too obviously hypocritical, and somehow, she didn’t feel comfortable with saying that right now.

Olesa shrugged. “It’s to be expected. That’s the way this school is.”

“That doesn’t make it right,” Amiki said. “You shouldn’t be doing this. It’s as simple as that. Why don’t we have normal punishments?”

“It can’t be helped.”

“Understood,” Amiki said. She looked around, checking the hall. “The Sister’s gone and there’s no sign of anyone else. How about you take a break and let me work for now?”

“What the hell?” Momomi said. “Do I get to do that?”

“Of course not. You’re not Perez-sa-”

“Amiki!” Olesa said with uncharacteristic sharpness.

“You’re not Perez-san,” Amiki finished. “I’m definitely not pampering you.”

“Thanks, Amiki. But there’s no need to go that far.”

“Understood.”

Momomi carried on with her work, staring thoughtfully at the two. Amiki was definitely behaving weirdly. She’d always known that the girl was just a dumb lackey to Olesa, but to go this far was astounding.

“The punishment makes sense exactly because it’s difficult for me, though,” Olesa commented analytically. “The student body is overwhelmingly upper class or upper middle class in makeup. We have no practical skills. This is an exercise in tedium and perspective targeted at our weaknesses. It’s also demeaning. Perfect.”

“I suppose so,” Amiki replied. “What irks me most of all is that we know the Etoiles were basically behind it. Being punished by the Serané and Kariya is almost outrageous.”

“Well, we can aspire to that position. All the same, you have a point. Third daughter, indeed. She is… strange, though. I don’t understand her.”

“What’s there to understand? She’s just a airhead in love.”

“That’s what’s strange,” Olesa said. “She’s from that family, but to fall in love with another girl? No matter the pedigree, it’s an odd thing.”

“Yeah,” Amiki said slowly, scratching her nose. “I guess it is.”

“Aren’t you the one crushing on Amane?” Momomi said, feeling obliged to speak up for the first time. She wasn’t quite sure why. Probably just the hypocrisy of the thing.

“Don’t give me that crap. It’s one thing to start a mad rumour, but believing your own mad rumour is just insane.”

“Well, she hasn’t answered. And doesn’t that go for your babble about me and Kaname?”

“It would not be necessary to like Amane to use Amane,” Olesa noted. “I’m surprised you’d forget so fundamental a fact.”

“Well, it’s a feeling I have. I’m inclined to trust my feelings.”

“Trust me,” Olesa said. “There are many reasons aside from an obscure theory about Amane to explain why I hate you.”

Amiki yawned hugely. “That’s another thing about these punishments, though. They don’t properly punish brats like Kaname who’ve probably washed floors all their lives anyway.”

“Shut up,” Momomi said.

“Oh? Something wrong?”

“You’ve no right to say something like that. That’s what’s wrong. We’re the brats, not her.”

“We are not permitted to be brats, and you know it,” Olesa said. “Exceptional privilege is brought at the price of our freedom. You are the only one obnoxious enough to try and retain both.”

“Well, it’s impossible. I know that. I’ve decided I want freedom more, that’s all.”

“Your family has always behaved with shocking irresponsibility.” Olesa frowned. “I suppose this is expected from bad blood.”

“Bad blood? What does that even mean? And I don’t care what you say. I don’t intend to walk the path my parents laid out for me just to please them.”

“You have no idea what it means to be a noble,” Olesa said, her grip on her mop tightening. “Just doing what you like because it pleases you and you’re rich anyway, it’s an indulgence only you can afford.”

Momomi stopped too, turning and facing her. “I didn’t ask to be rich! But now I intend to do what I please, because I can. I may end up poor, but I’ll make it my responsibility!”

“This conversation ends here,” Amiki said, stepping between them and facing Momomi. “Or I’ll open some of those bruises. Understand?”

“What got into you?” Momomi demanded. “Kaname cut you that badly?”

“Say what you like,” Amiki spat.

They returned to their work in a tense atmosphere. Momomi fumed. That bitch Olesa. What kind of freak is she? Duty this and responsibility that… it makes me sick! What the hell does it have to do with her? How do aristocrats even make sense in the modern age? We’re just relics, nothing more than that. But some people take it way too seriously. And Amiki acting like her fricking knight-errant or something. Makes me sick.

Olesa was looking moody as well, insofar as any emotions showed on her mask-like face. She washed the floor in a methodical silence, facing downwards and affecting ignorance of the other two. Amiki gave Momomi a glare that neatly conveyed enough killing intent to intimidate an army corps before turning to her friend again. “You know what the worst thing is? It’s not like they’ll stop giving us homework. At the end of it, I’ll be amazed if we have any leisure time at all.”

“Quite,” Olesa murmured.

“It’s troublesome…” Amiki stretched idly, leaning on her mop. “I have to do that history essay, I left it until late again. Who cares about what a bunch of Europeans did anyway?”

That reminds me Momomi said. I forgot to write that one, as well. It’s no good if my zeal to stay here means I don’t do the work they’re oh-so-keen on.

“Me too,” Olesa said. “I can help.” She spoke as if each word was a physical effort, her eyes far away, further into her shell than Momomi had ever seen before. And that was saying something. Olesa had more layers than an onion, and they ran just as deep. She was somewhere in the centre right now.

“Thanks,” Amiki replied, giving up. Evidently, she, too, had noticed the exodus of Olesa’s consciousness.

Thoughts within thoughts. She’s like me, in a way, Momomi thought. But it’s not that Olesa actively deceives. She is, by her own nature, enigmatic and silent. Why is that? We’re aristocrats, we’re extroverted, arrogant, social, out-going, or we can fake it so well as to pass. But she’s something else. And Amiki…she’s even more stupidly loyal than I thought. Would Kaname go so far? Stupid, again, I’m not like Olesa, I don’t need her. But that’s got nothing to do with wants, either.

They carried on in an echoing, awkward silence for ten minutes by Momomi’s watch, simply working. Occasionally Amiki would say something and Olesa would make a token response, and that would be that. Those exchanged were generally followed by Amiki’s trademarked yakuza stare, the one where she indicated that Momomi was an eyesore and would be much improved by the amputation of several limbs. It was not exactly a congenial atmosphere, in short.

“I’m back!”

There was a moment’s echoing silence. “Welcome back,” Momomi said sarcastically.

“Jeez, what happened to you guys?” Kaname asked, picking up her mop and spinning it idly. “Were you the ones who had to spend fifteen minutes being briefed on the finer points of our Lord in all his divine radiance, glory, benevolence and all-round obnoxious superiority?”

“It doesn’t sound like any of it stuck,” Momomi muttered.

“Well, of course not.” Kaname said got back to work. “The whole thing’s a bit silly, if you ask me.”

“Why do you intend an exclusive Catholic school, if that’s the case?” Amiki asked.

“I thought we’d be praying and stuff all the time, and holding Bible class, instead of doing actual work. Besides, I never thought this place had a very serious attitude about religion.”

“Why did you think that, then?” Momomi said dutifully.

“I’m glad you asked, actually,” Kaname said. “Well, on our open day we walked into an empty classroom. It was supposed to be empty, I should say. It actually had two girls in it, frenching. I was glad mother wasn’t there, circumstantially. And somewhat traumatised myself. I was only eleven, remember?”

“That’s just typical of our school,” Amiki sighed.

Momomi sighed too, for a rather different reason. She’d heard that story about fifty times before, and it got a little better each time. That probably had something to do with Kaname’s own mental development. No doubt in years to come she’d talk about how they walked in on two girls doing… this and that… Momomi blushed at the thought. Looks like I’m not very mature, either, she thought, biting her lip. Kaname talking about that stuff would just be way too weird.

“But it’s a moot point, anyway,” Kaname said. “We all know the main religion around here is Etoilism.”

“And after today’s punishment?” Momomi wondered out loud. “That’s theocracy, right?” She was just tired and bored enough to go along with Kaname’s flights of fancy, she decided.

“Exactly. This school is theocratically ruled by the Etoiles, who are some kind of fricking deities incarnate around here… or perhaps it’s a dictatorship of an absolute oligarchy who use a personality cult to enforce their position. On the other hand, we do vote for them and they serve a limited term. So, really, the whole thing’s just your average democracy.”

“You’re remarkably sanguine under the circumstances.” Amiki said. “Didn’t you just get into trouble for rambling on like this?”

“Well, even the Sisters aren’t going to care if I go on about the Etoiles. They’re just not so keen on the Jesus thing.”

“Well, there’s definitely a personality cult around the Etoiles,” Olesa murmured, to Momomi’s surprise.

“Right,” Kaname said, encouraged. “And always a pair, so always a certain kind of cult. And the students really have unnatural power in this school, which they somehow make into a selling point.”

“And the Etoiles fit into that,” Momomi said, catching on.

“Really, it’s just a kind of pseudo-meritocratic egotism,” Kaname said. “It’s accepted insofar as everyone wants to be Etoile some day, and there’s a pretence that it’s a merit selective thing. But, more honestly than in the student council elections, it’s run as a popularity contest, and the Etoiles conduct themselves appropriately. It’s a pandering to adolescent wish fantasy, don’t you think? To be special, like a star.”

“Incisive analysis, Kenjou-san,” Serané said. “If a little rambling.”

“Shit. How long have they been here?”

“Since theocracy,” Momomi said.

“And you didn’t tell me?”

“It was funnier this way,” Amiki commented earnestly.

“Well, it’s fine,” Kariya shrugged.

“It is?” Amiki said, sounding disappointed.

“Is she wrong?”

“Kariya,” Serané chided. “Is that the proper thing to say?”

“Yes, yes. Well, it is, actually. Honesty is good, remember?”

“If I can forestall the next round of the Kariya-Serané Show,” Momomi said hurriedly.

“Oh, that’s rich…” Amiki said under her breath.

“Are you just passing through, or what?” Momomi said. “I need to talk to you afterwards, but you can be hard to find.”

“Etoiles only get time alone if they know how to be hard to find,” Kariya snapped. “It’s part of the job. You’d better get used to it.”

“But we’ll be overseeing you for some time,” Serané said. “So you can relax for now, we won’t run off. We’ll call you when you’re taking your break. In the meantime, we’ll be talking to Tomori-san. She’s a very patient woman, I’m impressed.”

“She’s a psychotic stalker, that’s what she is,” Kaname muttered.

“Is that a way to talk about your senpai, Kenjou?” Kariya demanded.

“No, Etoile-sama.”

“Correct. You can have a break when you’ve finished with the Church, before moving onto the tower.”

“Wonderful,” Kaname sighed, defeated.

But, when I look at things…Momomi mused. Kaname really is good with people. No, that’s not exactly it. She’s rambling, incoherent and absolutely bizarre when she’s around anyone but me. That might be her way of dealing with apprehension and social awkwardness. Well, it is awkward, and it must be especially bad for her. But she a knack for getting a conversation going, even under the most adverse circumstances. Even if it’s only everyone bashing her for whatever stupid thing she’s said last. It’s a bizarre talent. On the other hand, I’m a perfect conversationalist, and I definitely don’t say weird things. But I… somehow, it doesn’t translate. The difference is…she uses her talent, I suppose, but I don’t use mine. I haven’t talked with Amiki and Olesa, about anything. But even though she’s still bruised everywhere, even though she says she hates Olesa and Amiki so much, she’s the one talking. I say that I’m forgiving them, but it’s just for the plan. On the other hand, if we got on well won’t that make things smoother? Has Kaname realised that? Momomi sniggered. Or I’m reading too much into things again and she’s just saying damnfool things for the sake of it. That’s something I like about her. She’s smart and dumb at the same time.

“What’s up? You’re zoning out on me,” Kaname said, prodding her with the mop. “Don’t slack off.”

“I know, already,” Momomi said, smiling at her. The blue-haired girl looked a little bemused and turned away, which was even more weirdly delightful. Sometimes it was nice to forget where Kaname came from and what she wanted and just enjoy who the girl was. She was an idiot, after all.

“Weird girl,” Kaname said, sounding unnerved.

Momomi giggled, cocking her head slightly, then got back to work. Amiki quirked her eyebrows and carried on too.

Olesa watched them for a moment, stopping. Then she lowered her mop. “I’m going to start work on the clock tower. I need some time alone to think.”

“Hey, you can’t do that,” Momomi complained. “That’s not fair.”

“Why?” Olesa asked. “I thought you didn’t want to work there. I’ll be saving you effort.”

“You’re only going to slack off if you’re unescorted. You should stay here where I can see you.”

“I’ll go with her,” Amiki said. “We’re only getting in each other’s way, like this. It makes sense, doesn’t it?”

“So you can both slack off together?” Kaname snorted.

“That goes for you, too,” Amiki retorted, sounding annoyed.

“Well, I’m going. The rest is up to you. How about you, Kiyashiki-san, if you’re so worried about this?”

“And leave these two alone together?”

“That’s my line with you two,” Kaname snorted. “Like anything would happen then. You’d just get caught up in some complex debate and scheme strange things. That won’t clean the floors.”

“Well, you two are the ones who will get into a big fight and dirty the floor again,” Momomi snapped. “You’re definitely less productive…”

Olesa rolled her eyes. “This isn’t very useful. Kenjou-san?”

“Alright, if you insist,” Kaname said. “But don’t expect me to go easy on you. No, except the reverse. I don’t like you.”

“That’s fine. I’ll tolerate your obnoxious personality in turn.” She left, Kaname muttering on her heels.

Momomi watched them go, feeling slightly annoyed. Things were more fun when Kaname was around, and now she had to be all alone with Amiki. Words that might in other circumstances been romantic were in this instance purely and totally concerned with the fact that it might be difficult for both to leave the room in one peace. Amiki might break her into little bits, or she might crush the girl’s spirit like the louse it was.

“So, how are you feeling without the crutch of that violent maniac?” Amiki asked.

“Hmm? Well, there’s another one right here, so it’s fine.” Momomi brushed a lock of her hair back with calculated carelessness. “But don’t get any funny ideas. You two are working under me, for now.”

“Arrogant, aren’t you? Well, how about I take your precious, flimsy evidence from your pockets after I’ve opened your skull?”

“Are you sure you want to risk Olesa? Try it, if you like. Kaname and her are in the same position. Is it okay to leave them?”

Amiki snorted. “She can look after herself. If Kaname’s too careless, neither of you will walk away. Trust me on that.”

“Why are you so loyal to her, anyway? It’s quite pathetic to watch.” Momomi asked as casually as she could manage. But it was definitely something she was wondering about. Before she could drive a wedge between their relationship, she had to understand it.

“There are those who are clueless, like you. Then there are those who know their place in the world. That’s me.”

Unexpected from her. I don’t fully understand. “Well, do you belong in that place?” Momomi carried on mopping, speaking almost conversationally. “It doesn’t look like Olesa cares much for your presence. Doesn’t annoy you that she’ll never pay any attention to you, however much you work for it?”

Amiki sniggered sardonically. “Not really. Being by her, being useful to her, that’s all I need to do.”

Such a ridiculous attitude. True love, or true idiocy? Isn’t that a tautology, when I think about it? Well…I like a challenge. Momomi smiled serenely and carried on.

“We told you,” Kaname said. “No slacking off. You’ve done atrociously little work as it is. I’m not your pet like Amiki, I won’t wipe your arse for you.”

“Let me give you some advice, Kenjou-san. Be careful around Kiyashiki.”

“Yeah, right.” Kaname stepped up the stairs one at a time, washing them neatly as they went. “I’m not stupid enough to accept the words of an enemy.”

“Perhaps I am your enemy,” Olesa agreed, “but that doesn’t mean I don’t have some observations to make about the one you call your friend.”

Kaname laughed sardonically and ignored her.

“I know Kiyashiki, because she’s like me,” Olesa said. “I don’t expect you to believe me, either. But I’ll say it anyway, because I don’t like it when people are used.”

“That’s hypocritical, to say the least.”

“Perhaps,” Olesa conceded. “But I can’t work on her level. She said it herself. She’s a greater liar than I am, that’s what she said. That’s because I don’t have the audacity to work on people’s emotions. I use the mind alone, and that’s easy to break from.”

“You sure are noisy all of a sudden.”

Olesa continued in her clipped monotone as if nothing had interrupted her flow. “As you can tell already, Kiyashiki is deft at blackmail, but more than that… people are attracted to her on some level. Perhaps you thought yourself special for agreeing to help her. Am I right?”

“The only thing I consider myself on that is mad, to agree to do such a bothersome thing,” Kaname said automatically. “Besides, it’s better than being blackmailed.”

“I have been consciously forced into this,” Olesa said. “But you’re doing this of your free will. I concede that as far as it goes, but she can still lead you on…”

“It would take someone a lot more convincing than Momomi to lead me on, don’t worry about that,” Kaname said. “You won’t do either.”

“I know Kiyashiki-san better than you, that’s all. No, you know her better but I understand her.”

“You, who hasn’t spent five minutes in her presence but as a random and ineffectual antagonist?”

“Why, aren’t you two enemies?” Olesa said. “It’s the same. But you’d be an idiot to trust her words at face value. She’s an aristocrat, trained to take everything she can and give nothing back. It’s a habit she’s picked up from her father.”

“I’m used to that. It goes for everyone around here.”

“Kiyashiki is different, she lives in a world of one. I met her a few times before she came here. She wouldn’t remember me. But she’s always apart. Hasn’t she told you? About a past in a family she hates, a life dedicated only to herself?”

“What do you know about that?” Kaname asked suspiciously.

“Everything. I know my enemies. But from that environment, she has no inhibitions. She makes her own life, which sounds romantic at first, but it’s not.” Olesa closed her eyes. “Haven’t you noticed? She doesn’t care about anyone around her. Everyone’s a tool to her. Are you naïve enough to think that you’re somehow special, different?”

“I know all that,” Kaname said. “Of course she’d regard stupid people like you as capital to be expended. But I told, I am different, because I’m not stupid enough to be pulled around on strings like you guys.”

“On the contrary. Yours are the tightest strings of all.”

Kaname laughed. “You’re really so very open about trying hopelessly to get at me.”

“You can stop me whenever you like,” Olesa replied.

“Carry on,” Kaname challenged. “It’s entertaining.”

“Kiyashiki’s using you and everyone else, in the purest sense of the word,” Olesa said. “We all know that. But we all go along with it, which is her gift. I’m not telling you to stop helping her or colluding with her. But do be careful not to get to close to her.”

“And why would that be?”

“Her and I alike, seek control. She does that through people’s emotions, just like her father. She’ll try to get close to all of us. Especially you. She’ll enjoy the attention. But it’s not sincere, because her mind’s always elsewhere and alone. Hasn’t she told you all this, as well? How well she can wear a mask and pull you into a haze of deceit?”

“The fact that she has appears to be a pretty good argument against her being that convoluted a planner.”

“It’s natural,” Olesa said. “She obtains your trust by revealing part of her nature. She admitted herself that’s she’s completely untrustworthy, but you trust her, don’t you?”

“Of course not. You really don’t know me very well, do you? I trust her as far as I can throw her, and I know why, too.”

“I know you well enough to know that you deceive yourself and others quite wilfully,” Olesa said. “You’re willing to say anything rather than compromise your image. But your actions show otherwise. You ran in to save her, for a start.”

“I ran in to spite you. No more, no less.”

“Well, say that if you like. I’ll leave it to you to honesty decide what way your heart lies. But if you trust her, you should wonder why. Why would she ever sincerely associate with someone like you? Someone she must regard as sincerely below her.”

“You’re just acting as if Momomi’s just like you, but she’s different. More so than you could believe.” Kaname set to work on the landing walls. Olesa was vaguely annoying, but amusing to listen to. It’s all so ridiculous… trust? I’m Kaname Kenjou. I haven’t made that stupid mistake in years… “She appreciates my achievements. She can see further than you bastards.” Even so, she took pride in saying that. Well, it’s to be expected. Even I need a little outside validation, but I’m not making a habit of it.

“Of course,” Olesa said. “She would flatter you. A lot, I suspect.”

“Yeah, yeah. And she’s manipulating me with every thought, word, blush and breath she ever utters. I don’t ascribe her with that level of omniscience.”

“All the same, you’ll come to think stupid things around her,” Olesa said. “Stuff like you’re alike, kindred spirits, working together. That out of everyone in this school she spurns, you’re somehow different. That you know she’s different from everyone in this school you spurn. That you feel good around her, even if you’re arguing, and that she understands you on some level. That she cares for you in little ways, and you her. That you’ll protect her. You can’t feel these things and still say you’re safe and alone.”

“I don’t think anything stupid like that. She’s an enemy worth fighting, no more and no less.”

“You can say that for a thousand years, if you like. But your heart must know the intrinsic truth. She’s got closer to you than you’ve allowed anyone to go for years, and you don’t know how she did it. I wouldn’t be too surprised if you laid bare your own soul, and no doubt she was there to listen and comfort you.”

“What do you know about me?”

“Nothing but guesses,” Olesa replied. “Make of my words what you will. But be more honest with yourself than you are with me. Those things certainly don’t fool her. She knows the power she has over you and how to use it to a nicety, I can assure you of that.”

“Even if I felt such things, which I don’t, there’s no need for her to use them,” Kaname said. “I’m doing everything she needs right now.”

“Right now, for now. In future, she’ll go far further. Someone like her can’t be happy on the fringes of the school’s life.” Olesa shrugged. “It might not be a bad thing. But she’ll move inwards and she’ll use you if she can. Surrounded by people who you have to humour, abusing your talents pointlessly to impress, limiting your behaviour to what’s acceptable, not what you want to do… those are all things that come with the social integration you run from. Most important comes the possibility of involvement. Which means hurt, betrayal and suffering.”

“I’m not as fragile as that. I’m not afraid of a couple of bratty teenagers. And you’re wrong. Momomi wouldn’t do anything-”

“What? What wouldn’t she do? You know Momomi better than anyone. What are her inhibitions?”

“She’s not a bad person,” Kaname said lamely. “She’s not like me, or you, or Amiki. She’s definitely different!”

“That’s what she’d definitely want you to say. But does that sweet sincerity really sound like you?”

“I know what I know. I’m not weak enough to fall over myself because of your words.”

“Just be careful of where the future will take you, with her,” Olesa said. “Even if you’re right, Kiyashiki won’t remain static forever. She won’t be the girl you know and can be comfortable with in the confines of your room. She’ll be walking out into the light and she’ll expect you to follow. Can you do that? Can you do anything but hold her back?”

“I’m not afraid of things like that,” Kaname muttered. “Sorry if you find that disappointing.”

“But she won’t be yours, either,” Olesa said. “Now you can call her yours and yours alone but she’s already making other acquaintances, which will become friends, regardless of the circumstances of their meeting. The Etoiles, Tomori, even Amiki and I… she’ll spare words for all of us, joke with us and converse with us in a way you thought was specially reserved for you. As she rises, she won’t be at your level any more. That doesn’t mean you won’t be used for as long as you’re useful.”

“I can keep up with her.”

“Really? Then why are you working for her and her alone, as a tool? You don’t have an agenda of your own. You just follow her lead. That’s not a relationship of equals. You’re just like Amiki.”

Kaname laughed sarcastically. “Don’t compare me to that lackey of yours.”

“A useful sidekick who can do the physical work,” Olesa said. “Of course, you can coach her on her tests too. Aren’t you lucky?”

“I can stop whenever I like.”

“Will you? Until you do, she’ll have you where she wants you.”

“Again, I’m not mislead that easily.”

Olesa shrugged again. “Say what you like. These are just warnings. But she’ll definitely try and drag you closer. She’ll smile and act friendly and sweet, she’ll hold you and listen to you and confide in you and comfort you… but those things aren’t reserved for you. You aren’t special, Kenjou. You’re the closest target, that’s all.”

“You don’t know her at all.”

“Well, you do. Wouldn’t she prefer to have others to cover her back? How about Otori? Wouldn’t she do better?”

“This isn’t a job application process,” Kaname said, fists clenching at the mere mention of Amane. “It isn’t like that at all!”

“What is it, then? Friendship? I thought you didn’t do friends, Kenjou, but Kiyashiki probably likes the word. Be careful what she does with it. You’d do well to remember who she is before you trust her smile again.”

“You’re shameless.”

“And remember who you are, too.” Olesa turned away. “Can you stand to be second to her? Can you accept a place amongst however many others? Do you want everything or nothing? What do you want from Momomi Kiyashiki? If you can’t tell me that, I don’t know why you’re helping her at all. Well?”

“I’ve no need to tell you,” Kaname said.

“Then ask yourself what she wants and what you want. Don’t come crying to me when they don’t match.”

Kaname watched her walk up the clock tower stairs without stopping her. Ludicrous… such a ludicrous girl. But. But. It doesn’t matter. Right? We’re just enemies, we both accept that. We won’t get closer to each other. Never again. I won’t let myself be betrayed ever again.

Why does an enemy have such a sweet smile, and a perfect mask I can’t pierce? It’s so beautiful I sometimes wonder whether I want to let myself be betrayed. But, I can trust her.

I think.

Onwards to Part 10


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction