Astraea Lake (part 71 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 70 Untitled Document

Confession: this fic is now so long not even I can keep track of what went down on paper and what stayed in my head. On that note, does the story of Amane's roommate sound familiar to everyone? I can't for the life of me remember whether or not that made it from grey matter to words on the page.


Momomi glanced at herself in the mirror, frowning at her loose necktie. I’m getting sloppy. Now, more than ever before, I have to look good.

Before she could do anything, Kaname drew it tighter. “Like that, right?”

“Very good,” Momomi agreed, touching the tie idly. “Like that, you could almost pass for normal.”

“And you’re still a vain perfectionist,” Kaname retorted, stepping back and inspecting her own reflection. “Even so. Ready for battle, right?”

“Ready for battle, indeed… everything has to be military with you.” Momomi smiled. “But still, you’re finally taking pride in your appearance, are you?”

“Not really. I’m just going through the motions because you’d complain to me if I didn’t.”

“So you want to look good for me? That’s very sweet, Kaname.”

“That’s not what I said, but fine.” Kaname prodded her on the cheek. “How about you? You always dressed well, even before. Just who are you trying to impress?”

“Oh, I don’t know…” Momomi mused. “God?”

“God? I doubt that’ll help you much.”

“Well, you can die at any time, right?” Momomi pointed out. “So you should be well turned-out at all times. Quite apart from the embarrassment of dying in penguin underpants or suchlike, on the off-chances that God really does exist I want to be looking my best for Saint Peter. My hope is that I’ll look beautiful and innocent enough to get by without him looking at my actual record.”

“Oh? Innocent, is it? Even now, you’re anything but that… have you ever been innocent, I wonder?”

“It’s a child thing. Everyone thinks children are innocent.” Momomi stretched idly, flicking a lock of brown hair away from her eyes. “As we said before, the truth is that children can be ignorant, but they’re never innocent. That’s not the point, though. I’ll go to Peter and do my cutest pout and hope for the best.”

“And when you’re too old for that? What are you going to do? Seduce him?”

“That’s a pretty good idea,” Momomi said. “If there is a God, though, I want to die young. Old people can’t really use either method.”

“You’re presuming a very gullible God, aren’t you? And if he can’t be fooled?”

“Then a long life would be best. As long as possible. In fact, if they invented immortality in my lifetime, that would suit me just fine.”

Kaname laughed. “I’ve always wondered about that, actually. What would the guy do if we invented immortality, anyway? I mean, we’ve already got disease, the creation of the world and world history covered.”

“If he exists, end the world. If he doesn’t… I don’t know. What is the Roman Catholic Church’s position on immortality?”

“I don’t know. But I don’t think they have one.”

“I suppose it’s not strictly necessary just yet,” Momomi observed wryly. “In any case, though, that’s why I’m always well-dressed.”

“Bullshit,” Kaname replied affectionately.

“Naturally. I learned from you, after all.”

“Oh, really? Well, you’re ten years too early to beat me at my own game.”

“Probably, yeah. I can’t say that’s something I’m ashamed of, though…” Momomi stood on her tiptoes, leaning forwards and kissing Kaname on the cheek. “But I’ll live with it, I’m sure.”

Kaname looked away. “Hey, hey. Don’t get too excited early in the morning.”

“On the contrary, there isn’t much time when you’ll let me get excited, what with your ever-present apprehension of others.” Momomi stood book, shaking her head. “Everyone knows we’re together and this has to be one of the most tolerant environments on the planet. If not here, where?”

“I don’t know. Amsterdam?” Kaname turned towards the door. “Come on. If we don’t get going, we’ll be late again.”

Momomi sighed, walking after her. “Seriously, though. Your shyness is a little strange, isn’t it? Normally you don’t care what other people think.”

“Well, yeah,” Kaname admitted. “That’s different. That’s normal, but… how do I say this…”

“Everything else adds to your tough girl image, but you don’t want to kiss your girlfriend in front of others?” Momomi teased. “That’s a very cute attitude.”

“That’s not it at all!” Kaname replied distractedly. “But it’s still strange, isn’t it? Even for a normal couple, private life should be private, right? And let’s face it, people don’t always take kindly to people like us…”

“Not here, though. That’s hardly the point. The main danger around here is that girls will take photos.”

“Unpleasant mental images ensue.” Kaname shook her head. “But here’s different, though, isn’t it? Precisely because it’s tolerant. You can’t do the same kind of thing in other circumstances, so I’m fine with just keeping things private.”

“Surely we should enjoy this freedom while we can precisely because this is unique?” Momomi sighed, shaking her head. “I get that the Sisters don’t want us all over each other in school time, but you won’t even hold my hand.”

“You’re such a girl. Don’t I give you enough attention already?” Kaname shook her head. “Whenever you’re around to receive it, anyway. Sometimes you’re flying off with Amane.”

“So enjoy the time I do give you, as my one and only girlfriend,” Momomi said, taking Kaname’s arm. “What’s wrong with that?”

“Stop it, already.” Kaname frowned, looking rigidly ahead. “It’s just strange…”

Momomi sighed, stepping away and sticking her hands in her pockets. “You’re still a surprising prude. It’s very upsetting.”

“I’m sorry,” Kaname muttered. “I’m just not confident enough yet…”

Momomi brightened at that admission. “Oh, really? You should learn fast, you know. If you don’t let me play around, I get all tense, and we never get any work done in our revision lunchtimes.”

“Oh, come on. That’s not my fault.” Kaname sighed. “You need to learn some more discipline, you know.”

“Even if you say that so firmly, you don’t do much to help matters, now do you?” Momomi teased. “You should just loosen up a little.”

“You should tighten up a lot. Either way, we’re both compensating for each other.” Kaname chuckled. “We should just agree to meet in the middle.”

“Momoland will not compromise unless progress is made on the affection in public issue,” Momomi noted. “Until then, the heavy bombing campaigns will continue.”

“Well, I’m not compromising either. Can’t you at least be more reasonable about this?”

“Never! Victory or death! We won’t stop until Kanada’s last city has fallen,” Momomi teased. “That’s why you should be scared. Day by day, your defence weakens.”

“As ever, you’re persistent to the point of psychosis.” Kaname smiled dryly. “That’s pretty troublesome.”

“You know you like it really. And that goes for a lot of things I do.”

“Arrogant girl.”

“Well, am I wrong?”

“Not really. That doesn’t mean it’s polite to say it, though. That’s something I should say.”

“But you never will, so I have to compliment enough for both of us.” Momomi grinned. “You’re cute that way.”

“Oh, stop playing around,” Kaname scoffed lightly.

“I don’t play around. I’m always deadly serious.”

“Hmm. Perhaps that’s the problem, then.”

Momomi stopped for a moment, looking round the canteen. “Say, Kaname. I have a great idea.”

“Yeah?”

“How about we queue and get our food normally, without rowing and making a scene, for once in our lives?”

“I like the way you think.”

Momomi chuckled. “That could only be an innovation for people like us…” She joined the queue, glancing back at her girlfriend at smiling. “A neutral topic, then. Hmm.”

“Is there such a thing, with us?” Kaname mused. “Sounds pretty unlikely to me.”

“We should try something a little more neutral before we discuss complicated things like that,” Momomi teased. “How about, I don’t know, rabbits?”

“Rabbits?”

“Right. Rabbits are cute and fluffy and harmless and innocent. Am I wrong?”

“Well, I’d dispute innocent. The phrase ‘going at it like rabbits’ has entered our lexicon, after all.” Kaname smirked. “And that kind of metaphor is particularly appropriate for you.”

“Touché. Well, cute, fluffy, harmless and promiscuous. Rabbits are good, right? Everyone likes rabbits.”

“You miss some key points, though. They crap everywhere, kick things and have really irritating noses.” Kaname folded her arms. “Personally, I can’t stand the little hairballs. But maybe that’s just me.”

“Yeah. Yep, that’s probably just you.”

“How about money? Money is definitely a firm positive regardless of circumstances.”

“A lot of people would disagree with you, you know,” Momomi teased. “They say too much money is a stressful burden and also the root of all evil.”

“Yeah, but the people who say that don’t have any money. It’s just rationalisation.” Kaname chuckled. “I’m more honest. I want to be filthily, horribly, obnoxiously rich when I grow up. Not that I have a huge chance of doing so, but it’s the ideal that counts.”

“The fact that money can’t buy happiness is a cliché, I know, but you’re simplifying things.” Momomi shook her head. “I know my father, after all. So I wouldn’t have time for anyone who spent so much time on making money that they didn’t have enough time to spend with me.”

“Well, obviously,” Kaname replied. “A stupid attitude is a stupid attitude, regardless of the cause. And if amassing money becomes it’s own end, instead of the means to an end, you’ve screwed up. But that’s not what I said. Money, in itself, isn’t something you can have too much of. If you were just given it, say.”

“Except, perhaps, the money that was given me by my mother, which you completely objected to.” Momomi shook her head. “But I’d disagree there again. It’s impossible to separate money from its source, and if it was just handed to you, you won’t develop as a person, either. That’s what you say, right?”

“I suppose so,” Kaname confessed. “Well, money is still something you want a lot of in most circumstances.”

“And rabbits have high approval ratings, but not one hundred percent.”

“Yeah, whatever. I’d still prefer a nice pair of rabbit-skin gloves.”

On that note, they took their breakfasts, walked over to their table, and sat down. “Good morning, everyone,” Momomi said, smiling.

“Good morning, both of you.” Shion shook her head. “As ever, you’re fashionably late. I suppose I’ll have to get used to it.”

“It has nothing to with fashion and everything to do with them being lazy bastards,” Amiki complained.

“No Amane?” Momomi queried, looking between them.

“No, I haven’t seen her.” Shion shrugged. “Perhaps she’s ill.”

“We saw her earlier,” Amiki said. “She ordered her breakfast and left, like she did before. Perhaps she’s worried Starbright is coming down with stubbed toe or whatever it is these horses catch when they want attention.”

“You saw her?” Shion asked. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“You didn’t ask.”

“No, actually. I did ask. I very distinctly remember asking, and you just shrugged.”

“You did?” Amiki frowned. “Oh, right. I guess I wasn’t paying any attention. Sorry.”

Shion rubbed her forehead. “You four are infuriating, really. Never has so much been owed by so few to me, but are you grateful? Not at all.”

“We’re paying back your favours,” Momomi replied. “It’s a zero sum situation, isn’t it?”

“I guess I started in the wrong place. Good Christian morals to begin with… you all lack that.”

“And you don’t?” Kaname asked sarcastically.

Amiki smirked. “Come to that, what about-”

“Making an exception of the homosexual thing.” Shion shrugged. “Perhaps I’m a bad person, but if you ask me God has better things to do than worry about who’s doing who in what position and with what. That’s irrelevant, though. You’re all very cold and calculating.” She chuckled. “Which is to say, rather too close to my nature for comfort, too.”

“Well, quite. In any case, mind, it’s strange with Amane.” Momomi frowned. “Did any of you upset her or something?”

“She probably just got bored of us and gave up.” Kaname shrugged. “It’s not like she ever really took part, so you can hardly blame her. But you can’t blame us, either. She just wasn’t talkative.”

“Perhaps we should have been more inclusive…” Momomi mused, sounding upset. “But it was difficult, we’re so used to talking like this.”

“Ohtori-san prefers listening to talking. You should know that well.” Olesa shrugged without looking up from her reading. “She has a short attention span, though. That’s all there is to it.”

Amiki nodded. “Besides, trying to meet her standards is all but impossible. If all it took was effort, everyone would be her friend.” She looked at Momomi, eyes glittering with amusement. “You’re not so special in that respect, after all.”

“Shut up. That’s got nothing to do with it.” Momomi glared irritably. “It’s just be inconvenient if we have upset her somehow, that’s all. Her fangirls would make us pay for that.”

“Well, you can angst with her later, or whatever. It’s not like you won’t be seeing her.”

“Kaname!” Momomi complained. “You should be more sympathetic. You don’t have to take pot-shots at her all the time.”

“Well, I doubt she’d care whether you came or went,” Kaname replied. “She’s too damned impassive. That’s what pisses me off the most.”

“I’m sure she cares more than that. She just tries to be tough, like you.”

“It’s not like I planned my tough girl act from the start. I did it because I had no other choice.” Kaname snorted. “But Amane has more chances than I ever had, day after day. So that kind of excuse doesn’t cut much ice with me.”

Amiki shook her head slowly. “With you, though, I’m almost sure you’d continue to be a tough girl no matter how popular you were. By now, at least, that’s who you are.”

“It’s unusual for you to think you know about me to say that kind of thing,” Kaname said.

“Oh, I know you quite well. You’re not unlike me. It’s logical enough.” Amiki leaned forwards. “But the truth isn’t very convenient for your argument, I suppose.”

“Never mind,” Shion said firmly. “We’ve gone far enough on that subject. But for all we know, Ohtori-san is down with a headache and wanted to eat in her room. We shouldn’t read into things too much just yet.”

“Fine… whatever.” Momomi sighed and cast around for another topic of conversation. Her eyes settled on Olesa. “Say, what are you reading?”

“A prospectus on a Spanish private school,” Olesa replied bluntly.

“What?” Momomi leaned forwards. “You mean you’re serious about leaving the school?”

“I’m considering all my options. Nothing is decided yet.”

“What’s wrong with just staying here, though?” Momomi demanded. “Even if it’s for your mother, you can’t always bend at the waist for her, right? You have to have a life as well. You can’t just keep sacrificing yourself over and over. And Amiki too! Isn’t that irresponsible?”

“I’m touched.” Olesa looked up, smiling. “However, this is a selfish choice of mine. Selfish, because I know it will burden you three.”

“Eh… what?” Momomi flushed. “I just dislike the principle-”

“If you say so. But this isn’t that principle.”

“We came here for a lot of reasons, but one of them was so we didn’t burden Olesa’s mother,” Amiki explained. “In any case, I’m not someone you should worry about. My place is wherever Olesa is, after all.”

“That’s either romantic, creepy, or just plain depressing, depending on who you ask.” Kaname leaned back, biting into a bacon roll. “I’m leaning on depressing, of course.”

“In any case, give me one good reason why you should go?” Momomi demanded. “Aren’t you settled in here? Surely there has to be something even you two like about this place?”

“Of course. That’s not the problem, though. Spain is a long way away, and I intend to be a Spaniard.” Olesa shrugged. “They have better gay rights, for a start.”

“And how many private schools will be as accommodating as this school?”

“Very few. But I’ll manage it.”

Momomi shook her head. “It just looks irresponsible to me. There’s nothing wrong with this school, so why go elsewhere? It’ll be a big disruption, you’ll have to make new friends and the stuff you are learning will be totally different too. So what’s the point?”

“As I said, it’s mostly so I can live life in the country I’ll remain at for the rest of my life.” Olesa looked amused. “In any case, you’re far more sensitive and worried about this than I’d expected. I appreciate that sentiment, so bear in mind that I am merely exploring various possibilities. Nothing is set in stone as of yet.”

“Even if you say that, it’s a silly idea,” Momomi muttered. “And if that’s what I think, I’ll be sure to tell you. That’s all…”

“It’s fine, isn’t it?” Shion asked. “This is Perez-san’s choice to make. And Rivera-san too, of course. We’ll support them regardless, so why make such a fuss?”

Momomi pouted. “I told you, I just think it’d be a bad idea. Besides, it’ll be troublesome if I have to find more people who think like us after they’re gone. Right, Kaname?”

“Actually, I agree with Shion for once.” Kaname looked at the ceiling. “They’re going to do whatever they think best anyway. Right?”

“Naturally,” Amiki agreed. “Do we ever do anything else?”

“So just let it be. Anything else is an annoying waste of breath.”

Momomi sighed. “Whatever you say, it annoys me. But it’s not like any of you are giving my a choice.”

The bell rang and they stood, shrugging on their bags and leaving the canteen. Momomi walked towards History in a glum silence. Why are they so casual about this? As if it doesn’t even matter! She huffed her cheeks irritably. Not just Olesa, I’d expect that of her, but Amiki too. And not just them, but Shion and Kaname as well. We’re friends, aren’t we? After all this time, I’d think so. But they’re all talking about those two going half the world away as if it’s a trivial little thing. How about Isae? Shouldn’t Shion, of all people, know about this? And when Kaname has so few friends in the first place, shouldn’t she look after the ones she has? If we’re talking like this, it makes me feel like it’s all hollow. I don’t like that at all. Am I the only one who even cares?

“Good morning, Kiyashiki-senpai.”

Momomi blinked, glancing at Uemura as they passed each other in the corridor. “Good morning…”

The first-year smiled at her as they passed each other. Momomi just shook his head in bemused surprise. They’re very forwards. I’m sure even Kaname wasn’t that cheeky when she was that age. Or the others, for that matter…except for Shion. She’s a nonconformist within the system, or something. A rebel with a cause. I wonder what she was like, actually? The rebellious and innocent Shion, before she grew into herself. Would Isae recognise her if they met again? How much would they change? Momomi sighed. I was no different with Luigia, and even if we write we’re more distant now. There’s no doubt about that. With those two, it would be the same, except we don’t even have that much in common in the first place. That thing which I call our friendship to myself, but never to anyone else, what is it? Just because we’re similar people, and also because she made me curious, and her stubbornness annoyed me. I pressed hard, but she just let things be. When I think about it, she’s never really done much herself, except tell me I was being a fool with Kaname. And that didn’t cost her much, after all. Perhaps she still doesn’t value such a friendship. She walked into her History classroom, sitting down. On the other hand, one of the only things we have in common is Shion. She made us do the school play together, and has kept us meeting every morning. When I think about it, Shion might well be as much an instigator as I was. But if that’s the case, why is she so quick to let go? Doesn’t she want to at least argue, or protest? It doesn’t make any sense to me at all.

Momomi rested her head on her hand, staring at the board. Or am I the strange one, for protesting so much? What did I expect, with people like us? We all have plans, agendas and the self-confidence to take our own actions. To think that our little ephemeral alliance could last forever is hopelessly naïve. Even if Olesa stays here for now, something has to go wrong in the end. Because for all five of us, the self is a concept that’s more important than anything else. That includes friendship. I’ve always accepted that, because that’s the person I am and that’s the people I’m used to dealing with. But it’s annoying now, all of a sudden. The friends I’ve made, even if they’re strange friends, even if there’s only five of us, they’re important to me, because they’re probably my first real friends. But that goes for Kaname as well, doesn’t it? So why am I the weak one here? Momomi frowned in a melancholy way, feeling uncharacteristically tired. Perhaps I’m just sensitive. But things really will be very different if those two leave…

A few hours of tedium later, Momomi snatched up her bag and headed outside, remembering another troubling development. She ran a hand through her hair as she ran towards the stables, holding it out of her eyes. Damnit. My life was so peaceful and simple… for all of three days. Between the play and my apparent tendency to attract chaos and strange people wherever I go, things are getting very interesting. Of course, it doesn’t help that I’m a chaotic, strange person. And increasingly I’m becoming proactive in finding equally weird people, I suppose. But it’s still troublesome. No one told me that having friends was so much work. She slowed to a walk as she reached the paddock, stepping into the stables. Amane wasn’t in sight, so she shrugged off her blazer and switched it for a riding jacket, tying up her hair with the ribbon. Well, not even Amane can be here all the time. Sometimes I forget that, of course. Either a teacher’s holding her behind, or she simply runs too fast. Momomi leaned on Sol’s stall, patting her horse on the neck. There was an appreciative whinny. “Dou, dou… you’re a good girl, aren’t you? Did you miss me?” She chuckled. “This must be why Amane prefers horses. You don’t run off to Spain or disappear, now do you? Well, I guess I’d achieve the same effect if I locked my friends in little jail cells and took them out for brief walks every day.” She rubbed Sol’s nose. “But Amane can get away with this because you’re not human, right? Isn’t that sweet of her?” Momomi smirked. “Oh, well. It beats living in the wild, I’m sure. Your healthcare and dietary provision is better than what most humans on this planet receive, I guess.” Sol blinked slowly at her, flicking her ears. “Well, either way, social commentary and conversation isn’t a horse’s strong point, am I wrong?”

There was still no sign of Amane, so Momomi stepped away and started to fill the horses’ troughs with hay. She’ll be sure to thank me for that. I think the well-being of the horses is more important than her own health. Certainly, if you believe the rumour about her dragging herself down here to check on them with a high fever…that was before my time, of course. But from what I know of her, I could well believe it. A few minutes later, though, all the horses were eating happily, and there was still no sign of Amane. Momomi frowned, nonplussed. This is unusual. Something must have happened, I suppose. Shall I just take Sol out anyway? Or shall I take Sol for a quick walk and then do Starbright as well? Come to that, they all must feel neglected now that she’s doing the play. If she’s not even able to spend the time when they should have her full attention with her, that’d probably be bad for her. They need to get exercise everyday, after all, and some of the more casual riders are scandalous about that. Momomi smirked at the thought. I’m starting to think like her, actually. When we first met, I just barely knew a stirrup from a riding crop. Now, thanks to some very detailed lecturing from a certain fanatic in the field, I’m a lot more informed. Is that a good thing or not? She began to fit Sol’s saddle, picking up the heavy leather and lifting it into place. “Now, stand still, like a good girl. We’ll ride out soon.” The horse was a little skittish. They tended to be, when Amane wasn’t around. Amane was a rider that inspired confidence merely by her presence. This possibly has something to do with horse pheromones. After so long near them, she’s probably assimilated them, after all. It’s only natural.

“Ah. So you’re here.”

Momomi looked up, seeing Amane framed in the doorway. “Of course. You’re late, you know. We only have fifteen minutes left of break.”

“I see.” Amane walked forwards, standing next to Starbright’s stall and petting the horse idly.

“I’ve fed them all, so there’s nothing to worry about,” Momomi explained. “Just saddle up and we can go out.”

“I won’t be riding right now.”

Momomi blinked. “Say what?”

“What I said is what I said,” Amane replied impassively.

“But why?” Momomi shook her head irritably. “To say that isn’t like you is to make the understatement of the century. Besides, Starbright needs to stretch his legs, right?”

“I’ll make it up later. Right now, I can’t face the crowds. It’s too troublesome.”

Momomi looked at her with concerned eyes, trying to ignore an excited Sol who was anticipating her ride outside. “Are you alright? Even if it annoys you, that isn’t like you.”

“I’m fine.”

“And you didn’t eat with us this morning, either. What’s up? Did we annoy you about something?”

“Nothing’s wrong.”

Momomi snorted. “If you say that while giving up a chance to ride Starbright, there’s no way I’m ever going to believe you. I’m not stupid. If you have a problem, tell me. Anything else is just plain annoying.”

“It has nothing to do with you.” Amane glanced at her briefly. “I’m just… tired. And I need to think.”

“So think aloud,” Momomi reasoned. “This is irritating.” She closed her eyes, considering what could have set this out. “Is this about yesterday? It’s not like I’m proud of getting into so many arguments with Koike, but she was extremely belligerent.”

“That’s not it at all.”

“Hmm… does it have something to do with her, though? You left together in the break, didn’t you?”

Amane looked away, making no reply.

Momomi stared at her. “Koike? Seriously? You mean you can’t handle that second-rate sociopath? Just ignore her. She’s just jealous of us, after all.”

“It’s not anything so simple. Jealousy does come into it, though.” Amane sighed. “I should apologise to you. This is something that has troubled you.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Though the fault still lies with her…” Amane closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them, glancing at her briefly. “Asayo is a problem.”

“Asayo? You mean Koike?” Momomi frowned. “How is she a problem? You dealt with her well last time.”

“Well, more specifically, my problem.” Amane rubbed her forehead, sighing tiredly. “This isn’t something I should tell you about, if you didn’t know already. That was something I agreed on.”

“Oh, jeez. Stop being so bloody evasive. If you don’t, I’ll just get Kaname to intimidate Koike until we get the full story. She owes me that much.”

“I won’t tell you.”

“Then-”

“But it is troublesome. And tiring, for that matter.” Amane leaned against the stall, staring at Starbright. “But Asayo should be more reasonable, for now. She isn’t a bad person. She just lets her passion run away with her.”

“Is that all?” Momomi demanded. “She was insulting me for half an hour straight while we were working together there! And she didn’t treat you any more gently, either. That isn’t what I’d call a good person.”

“Ah. Well, you probably aren’t a good person either. By all accounts.”

“Why are you defending her so much, anyway? Do you two know each other?”

Amane nodded briefly. “That’s correct. Though we’ve drifted apart in recent times.”

Momomi blinked, trying to get her head around the concept of Amane knowing someone else. “Is that right?”

“Yes.”

“I see… so she’s just jealous of me, right?” Momomi shook her head. “If that’s the case, there’s no problem. Just tell her to stop, if you’re the one she wants to please.”

“Ah. I did that.”

“Then why are you sulking? What did she say to you, anyway?”

Amane looked at her briefly. “It’s nothing important.”

“The hell it is! You didn’t turn up for breakfast and now you’re sulking!” Momomi folded her arms, fuming. “That’s easily important enough to tell me, so get on with it.”

“It has nothing to do with you.” Amane looked away, frowning. “That’s all there is to say.”

Momomi stared at her for a moment, eyes narrowed. “Oh? Is that right?”

“That is correct. For your part, she’ll treat you better. That’s the only thing that matters to you.”

“What kind of attitude is that? You have problems as well, you know, and if you think you can deal with them by being cool and alone you’re being an idiot. It’s pretty damn obvious she’s upset you somehow, so spill it, already!” Momomi glared at Amane, who looked back with blank crimson eyes. “I’m worried about you as well, you know.”

“Ah.” Amane shrugged. “I didn’t ask for that, you know.”

Momomi gritted her teeth. “Well, worry is something you receive, whether you ask for it or not. Get used to that!” She took hold of Sol’s reigns. “I’m taking her out. See you later.”

“Bye.”

Momomi walked her horse out into the light; face locked in a deep scowl as her eyes swept over the people watching her. A moment later, she mounted and began to ride. Amane remained in the shadows of the stables.

Onwards to Part 72


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction