Astraea Lake (part 70 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 69 Untitled Document

Very sorry I'm late. I bring you Chikaru by way of apology, but don't get used to her. I know that if she stays here too long, she'll turn into a dark and manipulative character. The rot's already setting in. I mean, isn't she just too nice to everyone to be true?


“So we’re here again, are we?” Momomi observed, smiling awkwardly. “As ever, Eida-san is something of a perfectionist.”

“There’s a lot to improve on. Don’t have any misapprehensions about that.”

“Oh? Does that go for you, Koike-san?”

“Of course.” Koike snorted. “This is an art-form that takes effort and time. Even for you two, it’s impossible to simply turn up with the lines half-learned and fake it. People like me can tell the difference, undoubtedly.”

“Your tastes haven’t changed,” Amane observed quietly. “I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised.”

“No. You shouldn’t.”

Momomi glanced between them, then shrugged. “Well, I take your point. But you don’t have to take me so seriously, either. It was a casual complaint.”

“It’s a waste of breath, in short. That’s reason enough to shut you up.”

“And I’m sure you yourself never say anything unnecessary, after all…”

Amane scowled. “This conversation, too, is unnecessary, is it not?”

“Hmm. I suppose so. But unlike pointless whining, this serves a purpose.” Koike glanced at her innocently. “It’s important that Phareli-san knows how I feel about this, after all.”

“Well, I can assure you, that is unnecessary as well.” Momomi smiled pleasantly. “Shall we just get on with it?”

“If you like,” Koike replied, leaning back in her seat. “It’s all the same to me.”

“Ah.”

“Then, Koike-”

“I know. You two don’t have to tell me any time.” Koike closed her eyes. “I’m taking a moment to get into character, thank you. I appreciate you two don’t have that integrity, but some of us actually try to act.”

“Getting into character?” Momomi scoffed. “Aren’t you the natural Malvolio? Just read the lines as yourself, and it’ll be the best performance of that role I’ll have ever seen.”

“That wasn’t necessary, especially from someone who ostensibly wants to get on with things.”

“Well, your sarcasm wasn’t necessary either!”

“And your instruction was?” Koike queried. “Only it wasn’t, of course, that’s the whole point. Besides, comparing me to Malvolio was fairly low. For a start, I’d rather commit seppuku than run around crushing on you.”

“That suits me just fine. My reaction, if nothing else, would match Olivia’s quite nicely…”

“Is the final word that important?” Amane rubbed the bridge of her nose irritably. “It’s very tiring of you both.”

Well, however I look at it, my relationship with these two is pretty strained in these moments. I’m just glad, so glad, that we’re only together in a few scenes. Anything else would just be unfortunate. Momomi looked up briefly as Koike began, vaguely annoyed by her skill and intensity. It’s like she has no redeeming features, except perhaps her dramatics. She’s loud, stubborn, cunning, manipulative, careless, antisocial, obstructionistic and thoroughly impolite. She’s also irritatingly knowing, pretty openly dislikes me and likes being mysterious and annoying. I barely know her, but I can’t help but be irritated to heck by her. She’s just damnably, unbelievably obnoxious, it’s almost more than I can bear…Momomi sighed quietly. In others words, she’s not unlike me, I suppose. The face I show to the world at large, in any case. I’m pretty sure I’m not as annoying or lazy, though. But that’s not important. I’m still stuck with her. And if she really is someone like me, someone who is truly a manipulator rather than someone who pretends to that personality, it will be very troublesome. Quite apart from anything else, she was gathering intelligence on me before I remembered she existed. And if it comes to it, that gives her quite the advantage. I’m barely getting a feel for who she is, but I’m sure she knows everything about me. That’s another disadvantage of becoming known, I suppose. I should tell it to Kaname, just to be fair. What does she want, though? That’s the most important question. Is she just someone with a cool, disinterested attitude who is too proud to get on with someone like me? Or does she actually have some reason to trouble me? Either way, she isn’t telling…

“Oi, Phareli! What did I just say? Focus and put some effort in, already. I dislike it when you insult an enterprise through being so damn lazy.”

“Isn’t that my line?” Momomi retorted. “There doesn’t appear to be a lot that you take seriously.”

“Unlike you, I know when it’s time to make a token effort. That’s more than you’ve done.”

“Well, I’m very sorry I’m not meeting your high standards.” Momomi looked down at her script again, biting her lip. “And it’s Kiyashiki. Not Phareli.”

“The disowned child who disowns her family… so which came first? The chicken or the egg?”

“That’s enough, Koike.”

“Oh? That’s enough, is it?” Koike asked, smiling unpleasantly. “That’s interesting. But as she’s not doing any work in the first instance, I might as well satisfy my curiosity.”

“Too bad. I won’t tell you.”

“Either way, I find it hilarious that you so openly run from your family,” Koike noted. “That’s a classic kind of distancing device, isn’t it? Suppressing the past may work wonderfully for you, but it’s lazy in the extreme. And it won’t fix anything either.”

“What’s there to be fixed? I don’t like my family, that’s all. People like me do exist, you know.”

“Oh, it’s effective enough. But it doesn’t befit the fearless, defiant girl you’re made out to be. Reclaiming your past is more effective than running away from it.” Koike chuckled. “Of course, I’m no rebel, so this little speculation of mine is merely theoretical.”

“Mainly theoretical, and far too over-complicated,” Momomi noted. “I’d rather be associated with my mother than my father. That’s all there is to it, there’s no dramatic statement there.”

“Really? How boring.” Koike shrugged. “In any case, Phareli, can’t you just start again? And show a little passion this time around.”

“And you say I do unnecessary things…” Momomi looked down at her script, sighing again. “Give me my veil: come, throw it o'er my face…And Amane, of course, is no help at all. I’m sure they know each other. For once, Amane knows something about someone, even if it’s only superficial. But she’s just sitting here, being annoyed by both of us without taking a side or really protesting. That’s her sort of response. She can be very frustrating at times, especially when other people are around.

“Still no good,” Koike complained. “I’ve no idea how you got this part, you know. I wouldn’t say you’re good enough for it. But I suppose it’s what I said before, knowing a certain senpai is useful…”

“That’s enough,” Amane said. “The audition was fair, whatever you make of that. She got her part and you got yours.”

Koike snorted, shrugging languorously. “Of course. This has nothing to do with my abilities, and me though. She’s just not good enough, that’s all. Isn’t it frustrating, Ohtori-san? You’re definitely going to be held back by someone like her.”

“That’s impossible, considering my own lack of experience.”

“Well, you’re just the natural genius, aren’t you?” Koike pointed out. “Of course your schooling in oratory probably helped, but really it comes down to that. I must admit, that’s rather obnoxious of you.”

“Aren’t you the obnoxious one here?” Momomi demanded irritably. “For someone who complains about people who say unnecessary things, you sure take your time insulting others.”

“Hmm? Perhaps. Well, it depends on your perspective. If it’s merely a matter of results, naturally we should just practise.” Koike glanced at her, eyes bored. “But it’s moderately interesting to argue with you both like this, don’t you think?”

“You missed your calling,” Amane said. “You should have joined the debating society.”

“And aren’t you missing your calling right now?” Koike sighed, shaking her head in feigned regret. “It’s very strange, isn’t it? Now, of all times, you decide to take an interest in a play. Unlike before, when-”

“It was a whim. There’s no deeper meaning to it.”

“So I can’t say it’s because of someone you wanted meet again, then?” Koike asked playfully. “That’s too bad. Perhaps it’s someone who you’ve only recently met motivating you.”

“Like I said, it was a whim. Don’t overanalyse that.”

“If you say so, Ohtori-san. But you’re hardly a whimsical person, now are you? On the contrary, you’re trained to consider your every word and action…”

Momomi slapped her leg with her script, scowling. “Oh, come on. Are we practising this or not?”

“Even if I was taught to be perfect, I can still have whims. Don’t mistake that.”

“I, of all people, should know that…”

“Stop ignoring me!” Momomi glared at them both. “Whatever cute argument you can have, it can keep. I’m bored already.”

“Do you want to, all of a sudden?” Koike asked. “I will if you’re willing. But listening to you half-read your lines isn’t interesting enough to keep me awake, so I do this instead.”

Momomi gritted her teeth, incensed. “As if you’re any better, so one more time.” This time she actually concentrated, attempting a somewhat sarcastic passion into her words.

To her surprise, Koike leaned back and closed her eyes again without saying a word. Amane took up her lines and they ran through the rest of the scene.

“Well?” Momomi demanded. “How was that? Have I met your agonisingly high standards?”

“That was acceptable. You still have a way to go, but at least you were trying for once. Ohtori-san was better, but that’s to be expected of the genius.” Her inflection was derisive, not praising.

Amane just blinked impassively. “Then why don’t you begin again?”

“I will.” Koike opened her eyes and turned to the appropriate page, beginning to read again.

Momomi sighed slightly. I’m not sure how to deal with her, which is undoubtedly her intention. Going to the third-years and complaining is just far too weak and pathetic. For similar reasons, I don’t want to go to Shion. She’d only take it as a favour and make me do something else for her. Amane’s no good either, thanks to her general indifference. But it’s not like I’m going to let this girl say and do everything she likes, either. I’m not that kind. I can’t repeat the phone trick, because she doesn’t have anything incriminating to say…well, she’s a complete mystery. I don’t even know what she wants. Under those circumstances, it’s natural that she can get away with this. She comes across as so confident as to be perfect; but that’s a façade, I know that, because I do something similar. I just need to discover her weaknesses and-

“Well, how was that?”

“Fine,” Momomi replied absently. “I’m sure it was very good, a lot better than anything I could do, naturally.”

“Oh, come on.” Koike looked at her with extremely irritated with eyes. “You have a horribly short attention span. Sarcasm doesn’t help, either.”

“How much attention am I supposed to pay? It’s not even my lines! You do your thing and it sounds fine to me. Or are you just picking a fight for the sake of picking a fight, or what?”

“Wrong. How am I supposed to improve when you’re like that?” Koike leaned forwards irritably. “God, it pisses me off. Why did you even go for this? It’s not like you pay attention.”

“Mostly because you keep distracting me. Besides, how much attention do you pay?” Momomi gave her a hostile stare. “When you’ve done your part, you just lean back and stop listening.”

“I’m listening, idiot. I even close my eyes, because your voice is all that matters right now.”

“If you are listening, you sure aren’t constructive about it. What advice did you have to give me? I have a long way to go? That’s hardly helpful.”

“If you were pressing me, the most general observation would be like you’re anyone else reading Shakespeare,” Koike retorted. “You’re too conscious of the archaic language, and too melodramatic, with an unnecessary flair. Be more subdued, already, and less like the umpteenth actor who thinks that reading Shakespeare automatically makes them an artist.”

“Now, you see, that’s actually helpful. Even if you say you want to improve, though, you didn’t tell me that unto just now. That’s no better attitude than mine.”

“Tch. I didn’t know whether someone as delicate and noisy as you could take any kind of criticism. I don’t want you to cry on me.”

“I can take constructive criticism, thank you very much. Pointless insults also bounce straight off, so you can use whatever you have. It’s fine.”

“Then I will, and so I won’t let you slack off any more. We’ll see if you come to regret what you wished for as time passes.”

“As if you have anything you could say to bother me.”

Koike snorted. “You’re very proud. As if that’s a surprise. But for your part, you’re even worse. Did you actually pay enough attention to give me any constructive criticism?”

“Not really. I didn’t think it was necessary, considering the fact that you aren’t taking this seriously at all.” Momomi folded her arms. “Insulting us both and arguing all the time is pointless. I’m not going to expend energy worrying about someone with that attitude.”

“Oh? But you’d like my advice? That’s pretty hypocritical.” Koike scowled. “If it’s something like that, I won’t expend effort on someone who isn’t providing any effort themselves, either. If this is how you’re treating it, there’s no point in me even bothering to turn up.”

“That’s my line.”

“Then it’s obvious, isn’t it?” Amane glanced between them, crimson eyes impassive. “Kiyashiki-san can pay attention and Koike-san can stop insulting us. That’s all, isn’t it?”

“And you still swoop into a conversation as it pleases you, and dictates on something that has nothing to do with you,” Koike observed.

“Of course it’s to do with me. I’m a part of this play.” Amane shrugged. “Though this is me. It doesn’t really matter to me whether we go or stay.”

Momomi snorted. “Well, that’s nice to know. Now we’re all indifferent…”

“However, it probably matters to Koike-san. Am I wrong?”

“Of course. Who’d be interested in a crappy junior production like this anyway?” Koike folded her arms. “I have nothing to do with the time, that’s all. Though anything would be better than this.”

“But you’re here. So why not make it good?”

“You sure like to oversimplify things, don’t you?”

“You still overcomplicate things, Koike.” Amane glanced at Momomi. “But this is something that matters to someone like her. She takes it seriously, so you shouldn’t be offended if she wants you to do the same.”

“What are you talking about?” Koike demanded huffily, looking away. “I told you, this doesn’t interest me at all. It’s just boring.”

“If it’s so important to her, then what’s the point in being so confrontational?” Momomi asked, giving Amane an annoyed look. “That’s a very convenient excuse, but I don’t see it all.”

“She doesn’t like either me or you. So it’s natural. Am I wrong?”

“Disliking you is a strong concept. I’d rather say that you are both very irritating.” Koike glared. “Something you’ll both no doubt say of me, so I’m sure you can understand.”

Amane shrugged. “I don’t dislike you.”

“If it’s you, Ohtori-san, I could kill your mother and you probably wouldn’t bother to dislike me…”

“That’s an irrelevant example, irrespective of factuality. You’re dodging the point.” Amane crossed her arms, leaning back comfortably in her chair. “We all want this play to be a success, don’t we?”

“That’s a very convenient truth.” Koike snorted irritably. “It doesn’t mean we like each other, though.”

“So? How about it?” Momomi inquired icily. “If you take this so seriously, and are so bothered by my indifference, isn’t it obvious that you should agree with her? I’m the one who’s allowed to be indifferent. Otherwise you’d just me a hypocrite.”

“Tch.” Koike gave her an unpleasant look. “Fine. This is what I wanted in the first place, you know.”

“Koike-san…” Amane began.

“I got it. You don’t have to say it again.” Koike picked up her script, and started to read again.

“My, my. Are we all friends now?”

Momomi glanced up at Shion. “Hardly.” Then her gaze shifted sideways, to a black-haired girl standing next to her. “Who is she?”

“Now, Kiyashiki-san, that’s very rude of you,” Shion chided. She turned to the other girl. “This is Kiyashiki-san, one of my acquaintances in the second year, Koike-san from the same year, and of course Ohtori-san. They play Olivia, Malvolio and Viola respectively.”

The black-haired girl nodded politely. “It’s a pleasure to meet you all. I’m Chikaru Minamoto, helping Shion-san with a few things. So I’m afraid you may see my around from time to time.” She cocked her head, smiling. “So let’s get on well, okay?”

Momomi sighed, rubbing the back of her forehead. “I see. Nice to meet you.”

Amane murmured something inaudible while Koike grunted. “Tch. The moment we actually get down to some serious work you interrupt us with something superfluous.”

“Well, there’s only a few minutes left. You spent most of that time arguing.” Shion shook her head. “That was very disappointing. Eida-san wanted your blood, and if you’d gone on another two minutes she’d have shouted at you at some expense to my pride.”

“Well, whatever. The situation’s resolved, isn’t it?” Koike asked. “Your pride has nothing to do with it.”

“Well, I wouldn’t go that far. That said, I’m not sure why you are here.”

“These three are what you might call problem children,” Shion explained. “They’re talented, but have difficult personalities.”

“Oi!” Koike snapped.

“Don’t talk about us as if we aren’t there!”

“They’re just spirited, aren’t they?” Chikaru said innocently. “I’m sure you wouldn’t like to be teaching anyone who wasn’t like that.”

Shion looked down, smirking. “Well, that’s true enough, I suppose.”

“Or it would be, as if you ever taught us anything at all.” Momomi looked up at them again. “So, why are you here talking, anyway? Just to disrupt our flow?”

“Don’t embarrass your senpai, Kiyashiki-san.” Shion chuckled. “Or I will tell Chikaru all your dirty secrets.”

“However she dragged you here, run away now!” Momomi instructed. “She’s the stalker senpai who assembles computer files on students and trapped me into taking part in this damned play! I can take it, but there’s no point in someone from Lulim getting involved.”

“Is that true?” Chikaru smiled. “My, what an interesting hobby. Files, you say? Do you include body measurements in that?”

“No, actually. Even for me, that data would be… difficult to obtain. In a proper manner.”

“It’s easier than you’d think, actually. I’ll show you later.”

“That would be much appreciated.”

Momomi buried her head in her hands. Oh, great. This one’s even crazier than Shion. Just my luck.

“But Shion-san’s told me quite a bit about you all,” Chikaru said. “I was very interested, so it’s a pleasure to meet you in person. As I thought, Spica has interesting students.”

“Well, if you ask me,” Momomi said, “Lulim is far more interesting…”

“Why, thank you. But we’re fairly ordinary girls, I’m afraid.”

By what kind of standard is that judged? Wealth, I could accept. Sanity somewhat less. Momomi looked around. Amane had her eyes closed and was probably asleep, dreaming of horses, while Koike had also retreated into her shell. If she was going to talk, it’d be on her own. Alternately, she could take a similar stance and wait for Shion to go away…

“Chikaru-san will be helping us substantially with the costume design and making, as well as other backstage work, so we’re indebted to her.” Shion put a hand on her hip, looking down assertively. “She’s also a talented actress, so we’ll be sure to take her advice whenever she can spare the time. I hope you’ll be good and not give her any trouble.”

“My, I feel a little flattered… I’m afraid I’m not so special as all that. I just thought I’d help a little, and I only dabble in drama in any case.”

“You know, false modesty gets kind of boring.”

“Kiyashiki-san, that’s rude.”

Momomi glared. “Well, I’m not someone who you can order around, you know. Who are you to tell me to be good?”

“Well, I can understand Kiyashiki-san’s attitude, so-”

“No.” Shion raised a finger, shaking it gently. “I do like them to say what they please, but there are limits. In Kiyashiki-san’s case, though, I suppose she has some reason to be so arrogant. I’ll have to excuse my kohai’s rudeness with something of an explanation…”

“Are you blackmailing me again?”

“Not at all. Nothing in your recent past merits blackmail, after all, now does it, Kiyashiki-san? You’re a good girl, after all.”

“Of course. That doesn’t mean you wouldn’t misrepresent me.” Momomi looked up hopefully at the Lulim girl. Sadly, she was looking between the two of them with a casual spectator’s interest rather than any concern. Damn detached girl…can’t she say something? This would be a good time for her to stop liking Shion.

“Perish the thought, Kiyashiki-san. As ever, you are very uncharitable.” Shion raised her fingers and waved briefly. “In any case, I’d better get on with seeing the other groups. But as writer, you’ll be seeing Chikaru-san more than most. So try to be more courteous in future.”

“It isn’t a problem. My tone may have been too humble, after all.” Chikaru smiled at Momomi. “Well, I’ll look forwards to our next meeting.”

Momomi knew when to lose with grace. “Of course. I have a few ideas for costuming myself.”

Chikaru nodded, her gaze drifting sideways. “But I was surprised when I heard from Shion-san, Ohtori-san. You don’t normally take part in activities such as this one, do you?”

“Ah.” Amane glanced at her warily.

“She’s a very good actress, if not the most eloquent conversationalist,” Shion observed.

“I see. I’m glad. It’s good to have several interests, I think, and a lot of people will be enthusiastic about Ohtori-san acting in a play.”

“It’s quite convenient, actually,” Momomi remarked. “Her talents aside, the similarity of appearance between her and Kaname is very noticeable, don’t you think? That’ll make your job easier.”

“That’s probably true,” Chikaru agreed. “I’ve heard a lot about Kenjou-san, as well…” She smiled knowingly, making Momomi blush despite herself. “She also sounds like an interesting person.”

“Then we shall go and talk to her,” Shion said deftly, walking Chikaru away. “Work hard, you three.”

“Actually, now I feel stupid about criticising your work ethic.” Koike snorted quietly. “Your senpai is even worse.”

“Yeah, well, that’s how she does things. You know what gets me, though? I’ve known her for a few weeks now, and I’m ‘Kiyashiki-san’. So why the hell is this girl Shion was being sarcastic and distant about this morning has reached first name terms?”

“Because she’s more likeable than you?”

“By agreeing with everyone, yeah. Personally, I find her creepy.” Momomi sighed. “But Shion’s easy to please. Anyone who takes an interest in what she does and listens to her for long enough is someone she likes.”

“Sounds like people everywhere. Isn’t that right, Ohtori-san?”

“Ah…”

“But someone from Lulim? It’s a strange thing to me, considering this is supposed to be the Spica play.” Momomi shrugged. “If it means less work for us, all the better, I suppose.”

“What does that have to do with anything? Slacking off again?”

“I’m just making polite conversation. Though I appreciate that’s a foreign concept to someone like you, who only deals in rudeness.”

“I can be perfectly polite, but I see no reason in being so with you,” Koike noted.

“Then remind me, what exactly did I do to you to annoy you so much?” Momomi asked. “If I know what it is, I can do it again.”

“Tch. Wouldn’t you like to know?”

“Is it that again?” Amane asked quietly.

“You wish. It’s just her attitude that annoys me. Phareli-san rebels in a fashionable way while retaining the same sense of entitlement that she had before… this play has been a good example of that. Of course, the nepotism of this school lets her get away with that.”

“You do go on about the same things, don’t you?” Momomi complained. “While, I completely dislike your hostile attitude, so it’s fine, isn’t it?”

“Naturally.”

“Quite.”

Amane sighed. “You’re being very tiring.”

Momomi looked up and prepared a sarcastic reply before another of Hirai’s stammered announcements interrupted her. Honestly, what is the sense in having the shy girl read everything out? It makes me wonder what Eida and Shion are here for. Perhaps this is their idea of improvement for the poor girl’s character…

“Uhm… Ohtori-san and Koike-san will be working together on Act 2 Scene 2… Kiyashiki-san with Uemura-san and Nagasawa-san… Nagai-san and Kenjou-san on Act 3 Scene 3…”

Momomi stood, brushing herself off. “Well, I’ll see you two later.”

Amane just nodded briefly.

“Tch.” Koike sighed. “I’m getting tired of this bloody carousel… well, enjoy yourself, or whatever.”

“Bye.” Momomi turned and walked away, snorting irritably. Still really annoying. Well, I’m sure Amane can enjoy her company. But when do I get to the good scenes with Kaname, already? That’s the good thing about having her play Sebastian, she wins in the end. Though that’s not apparently enough for her…oh, well. She doesn’t look like she’s doing too badly, either.

“Good evening, Kiyashiki-san,” Nagasawa said pleasantly, smiling at her. “Are you well?”

“I’m good, thank you,” Momomi replied automatically. “And you?”

“Fine. This is Uemura Junna, a first year.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Momomi said. “I’m Momomi Kiyashiki.”

Uemura smiled. “Hi. Shion-senpai talks a lot about you, actually… I was very impressed by your acting before.”

“Oh, she does, does she?” So she makes up for playing informant to us by selling information about us to others. Or is she talking about us as one would a pet project? Either way, I’m beginning to take Koike’s point…is any first year here free of her pervasive taint? “Good things, I hope.”

“Yep. She says you’re smart and beautiful, but stubborn.”

“Oh? Really?” Momomi asked pleasantly. I guess this one half of Shion’s secret. If you know a lot of people who talk to you, even on a superficial level, it’s much to your advantage. I’m in difficulty now because I don’t know Koike, for example. But if I knew a lot of people… “Well, she talks about you all as well. She’s an interesting person, isn’t she?”

“Yep.”

When the break finally came, Momomi decided to remain where she was, chatting to Uemura and Nagasawa. The conversation was shallow, but it was something. And if a certain someone wants influence, there are worse ways to do it than to emulate Shion. She doesn’t have much in the way of friends, but she has so many acquaintances. I wonder, though, what would she have done if Isae was still here? Momomi shrugged to herself. Oh, well. It’s a moot point.

“Yo,” Kaname muttered, sitting down.

“Ah, it’s the other one!” Uemura said enthusiastically.

Kaname raised her eyebrows. “The other one? What the hell do you mean, the other one?”

“She means the other one in relation to me, not Amane,” Momomi said hastily. “So it’s nothing to get upset about, okay?”

“Who said anything about Amane?” Kaname muttered. “I’m not second to you either, you know.”

“I didn’t mean that, just that Shion-senpai always talks about you together,” Uemura explained breathlessly. “She says you are the talented, handsome but unbalanced one.”

“I am not unbalanced! Trust her to say what she likes with no regards for the facts…”

“Now, now, Kaname,” Momomi chided. “Don’t take it so seriously.”

“I’m not. It’s still annoying, though.” Kaname folded her arms. “How have you been getting on?”

“We’ll been doing really well,” Uemura replied happily. “Shion-senpai even said so earlier.”

“Of course,” Nagasawa agreed. “How about you, Kenjou-san?”

“It went alright. I have the most mind-numbingly dull part ever, though.”

“Just wait until your scenes with me,” Momomi noted. “Then things pick up.”

“I should think so,” Kaname agreed. “Though I still have half a fear about a last minute change of script. However I look at it, I’m playing the guy, and this school prefers the alternative ending.”

“I don’t think that’s in danger. As long as I have strength, anyway.” Momomi smiled. “This is what Shakespeare wrote. Everything else is for fanfiction, right?”

“Fanfiction? Of Shakespeare? Do people write that?”

“I don’t know. Probably.”

“Well, thanks for letting me know.” Kaname rubbed her eyes. “Now my mind is traumatised by the thought of slash boys lo-”

Momomi kicked her on the shin in a friendly fashion. Uemura looked between them, blinking innocently.

Kaname coughed slightly. “In any case, the great Ohtori-sama isn’t gracing us with her presence for once?”

“Hmm. Apparently not. I hadn’t really noticed.” Momomi looked around distractedly.

“Well, that’s no surprise. Her contribution to any conversation is generally her superior silence, so there’s no reason for you to miss her.”

“I think I saw her leaving the room with Koike-san,” Nagasawa noted. “I’m sure they’ll be back shortly.”

“With her?” Momomi asked sceptically. “They really didn’t seem to get on at all.”

Nagasawa shrugged. “Perhaps that’s what they are talking about.”

“Whatever. It doesn’t matter,” Kaname said shortly. She folded her arms, scowling deeply. “Who cares whether those two are coming or going, anyway?”

“It’s fine,” Momomi agreed. “I’ll ask Amane-san about it tomorrow.”

“No point. Forget it.”

Momomi giggled. “Well, I have to talk to her about something, you know.”

“I still don’t know why you have to talk to her about anything, actually…” Kaname shook her head. “Or Koike, for that matter. I know what you are like. You want to learn more about her, don’t you?”

“Mostly so I can use that information against her,” Momomi replied. “What does that have to do with you?”

“Don’t bother. She isn’t worth the effort.”

Nagasawa coughed. “This discussion can wait for another time, can’t it?”

“Do you really think that?” Momomi asked, looking at Kaname’s eyes.

The blue-haired girl looked away, scowling at the floor. “Of course.”

“Well, now you have me curious.”

Onwards to Part 71


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction