Astraea Lake (part 69 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 68 Untitled Document

Koike feels like a plot device, but I think she's necessary. Hopefully she'll develop a bit in what time we have left.


“Good morning, you two.” Shion smiled pleasantly at them. “As ever, you’re the last to arrive… what is it that holds you up every day?”

Kaname snorted. She smiles quite a lot, actually. I wonder how many of them are real. “Momomi was slow out of bed.”

“Today! Just for today!” Momomi grumbled, sitting down. “Two nights in three she’s far lazier than me. It’s strange. It’s like she saves up extra sleep than blows it every few days.”

“That makes a little more sense than you,” Kaname. “You go to sleep at a decent time, until such time as you’re reading a new book… at which point you’ll be up hours and hours. That’s just plain unhealthy.”

“Books are different. Books are books.” Momomi spoke authoritatively, as if this would resolve the matter. “Besides, there’s a lot to be said for reading in the dead of night…”

“Yeah. It enhances the suspense and fear factor.” Kaname leaned back, frowning thoughtfully. “But all the same, you take things too far.”

“And I don’t read horror…”

“But Kenjou-kun does?” Shion inquired. “That suits her image, doesn’t it?”

Amiki chuckled. “Totally. As for me-”

“Action thrillers,” Momomi replied. “And Olesa would read very long, heavy sci-fi books. Am I wrong?”

“Alicia reads a little romance, too,” Olesa commented indifferently.

“Olesa!”

“Though she doesn’t like to talk about it.”

Kaname sighed. “Why am I not surprised? And you, Shion?”

“Detective novels. That’s obvious, isn’t it?”

“Oh, yeah…”

“And you, Amane-san?” Momomi asked.

Amane shrugged. “Not much.”

“Really?”

“It wasn’t an encouraged activity.”

“I see… but you must have some idea, right?”

“Not particularly.”

“So basically romance as well,” Kaname remarked. “Considering she’s in denial.”

Amane spared her an annoyed glance. “That isn’t logical.”

“Well, forgive me for that…”

Momomi tapped her finger pointedly against the table. “Yes, yes. But you know, I was just thinking…”

“Really?” Amiki asked. “Oh, the excitement.”

“About you two.” Momomi leaned forwards, grinning. “The ambience is completely different. You’d have said ‘ojou-sama’ or nothing, before.”

“So, what? Aren’t people allowed to change now?” Amiki huffed. “You two are bad examples, aren’t you? You used to bite each other’s throats out on a regular basis while moping around and getting into fights with us. Now you’re all lovey-dovey.”

“Hardly.” Momomi shrugged. “Besides, we still argue a lot, don’t we?”

“More fool you two,” Amiki muttered, folding her arms. “What happened to relationships being harmonious?”

“The real world came calling,” Kaname replied.

“In any case, that was a compliment,” Momomi said. “Not that you could recognise one if it sexually assaulted you, of course. You’re a lot more amiable now.”

“Oh, really? Well, you’re still as annoying and whiny as the day we met, you can be assured of that.”

“That’s enough, Alicia. It isn’t important.”

“But it’s just so annoying, coming from her…”

“In any case, we’ll leave things here, shall we?” Shion asked. “Rivera-chan is very sensitive… as is Kenjou-kun, of course.”

“Hey! Why does she get to be a ‘chan’? I’m not the only violent tomboy here!”

“Do you really want an answer to that?” Amiki queried, looking amused.

“It most be strange, though,” Amane began. Everyone looked at her. “When only one person uses your real name, I mean.”

Amiki shrugged. “A little. But only a little. Names are supposed to be very important, but they aren’t really. I’ll answer to either freely now, and if I wanted a third one, it would be very easy to achieve.”

“Provided you have no pride or scruples, of course.” Kaname ate a lump of rice, chewing it decisively and swallowing. “It suits you very well.”

“Yeah, as if you’re a saint. You’d do it if there was ever a reason.”

“Ohtori-san makes an interesting point, though,” Shion said. “What should we call you? We’re used to Amiki, but-”

“Just Amiki is fine.”

“Really?”

The brown haired girl grinned decisively. “Naturally. Only one person’s allowed to call me Alicia. That’s fine, isn’t it?”

“If you say so.” Shion shrugged easily. “But you’ve all changed by quite a bit. It’s interesting to watch.”

“You talk about it as if it doesn’t concern you,” Kaname noted.

“Well, does it? As far as I can tell I am the one who has said the same…”

“Not really.” Momomi folded her arms, grinning. “You have friends now, for a start.”

“How mean. You’re always so unkind to me, that hasn’t changed at all.” Shion laughed. “In any case, I always had my little birds, you know. You’re not the end of all things to me, however much you’d like that.”

“If you gave us that much attention, I’d be slightly scared, to say the least,” Amiki replied evenly. “But still, Kaname has a point. You’re not someone who’s stood still while we changed, to say the least.”

“Oh? I’m flattered.” Shion touched her lips thoughtfully. “I think. It’s hard to tell with you guys.”

“Naturally. We aren’t your cutesy fanclub, after all.” Momomi smirked. “But on this note, how’s Isae getting on?”

“Oh? She’s still good… though she could be better. She came down with a cold on Saturday, which annoyed her greatly. She says you should only get ill on schooldays, that’s only fair.” Shion smiled. “And she’s been very interested to hear all about you, I can assure you. She thinks you’re funny.”

“Traitor.” Kaname scowled. “How much did you tell her?”

“Hmm… well, they used to say that Isae and I were functionally interchangeable, you know. So I told her everything.” Shion leaned forwards, pushing up her hair with an idle hand. “I don’t know why you’re worried, though. She also said you sound very romantic.”

“Spy! Infiltrator!” Kaname glared. “That’s just low, to go behind us like that…”

“What’s the problem? Is there anything to be ashamed about?” Shion inquired.

Kaname shrugged, catching a deadly glare from the seat next to her. “Of course not. But still, it’s pretty weird, making it something to talk about…”

“Well, this is the kind of gossip Isae’s most interested in,” Shion said. “Her own life is pretty constrained.”

“In any case, she accepts this stuff?” Amiki asked. “That’s surprising.”

“Well, she isn’t someone who can despise anyone… she’s always been that way.” Shion looked down for a moment. “That hasn’t changed, apparently.”

“Well, that goes for anyone who’s your roommate, right?” Kaname asked, smiling slightly. “If they can stand your presence at all, that is.”

“More abuse,” Shion noted, smiling and meeting her eyes. “Sometimes I have no idea why I stick around, I really don’t.”

“You know you like it really,” Olesa replied, as deadpan as ever. But her lips twitched slightly. “It must make a chance from your fanclub.”

“Well, that’s for sure! Those girls have manners and such things none of you have ever troubled yourselves about.” Shion shook her head in feigned despair. “I guess I’m still here because I’m hoping against all evidence that I can improve you all. You need it.”

Momomi chuckled. “If you say. But if you ask me which of your two groups need more help, it wouldn’t be us.”

Amane sighed, shaking her head. “You’re all still strange.”

“Come on, haven’t you got used to it by now?” Kaname asked. “It’s not like you have anything to compare us too, after all…”

“My lack of attachments now does not preclude attachments in the past, you know.”

“Even if you say that, you don’t have the right to tell anyone that they’re strange. Especially not for things like this.”

“Can we get back to teasing Shion now?” Amiki asked sarcastically. “That’s a lot more fun.”

“In any case,” Shion said hastily, “Isae likes to hear about you all. And she’s very interested in the play, as well.” Shion glanced at them. “On that note, I need to thank you all for your hard work yesterday. I’m indebted to you.”

“It’s fine,” Momomi replied. “You don’t need to thank us.”

“I know. I just thought I would for once, so don’t get used to it.”

“Tch…” Momomi sighed theatrically. “You yourself are hardly the best example of traditional good manners, now are you?”

“Well, that’s simple. When in Rome, do as Romans do… is what they say.” Shion winked. “Particularly appropriate to you. But I want to feel like I fit in, so I try to be a little abrasive.”

“And you have an excuse handy for every occasion.” Amiki leaned back, closing her eyes. “That’s a characteristic we all share, as well.”

“Where were you two, anyway?” Kaname asked. “Handling the snacks?”

“We’re working on the staging, costume, sound and lighting,” Amiki explained. “It’s a monstrous amount of work, thank you very much. You guys are just going to take it for granted, of course, but we have to arrange everything ourselves. It’s not like we have the kind of support the upper-school play receives, after all. You never know, though. Perhaps we’ll be able to take their leavings.”

“Well, at least you don’t have to deal with all the annoying people,” Kaname replied. “Having to work and get on with a bunch of people you barely know and don’t particularly like is annoying.”

“Well, I pity the people who are paired with you.” Amiki sniffed. “But we’re hardly at ease, either. Today we have to talk to people from Lulim… Lulim, for God’s sake! I don’t know anything about them, except they have a doofy school uniform! What do we have in common?”

“Lesbianism?” Momomi suggested bluntly. “It seems to be a common trait here.”

“Even if you say that, I’ve heard malicious rumours that Lulim is heterosexual.” Olesa closed her eyes, again speaking in that annoyingly diffuse way of hers.

“Yeah, well, that aside, it’s still difficult.” Amiki closed her eyes. “While you three are slacking off this evening we have to go with Shion and talk to some Minomoto and a couple of others she’s dug up from somewhere about costumes.”

“Isn’t this supposed to be an all-Spica production?” Kaname asked suspiciously.

“This is just delegation, or sub-contraction, if you will,” Shion explained, shrugging. “Nothing major. But, to be honest, Lulim dominates at such things. Those students who elect to go to Spica aren’t generally interested in mere domestic pastimes, after all.”

“Oh? So there’s something we aren’t good at?” Kaname asked. “This would be the first time you’ve admitted that, wouldn’t it?”

“Hardly. But it only makes sense, to go to the best.” Shion closed her eyes. “My birdies talk to Lulim birdies who all say that this Minomoto-san is very gifted. I’ve talked to her briefly, and she appears to be someone we can do business with. Though she is a little eccentric, I must admit.”

“You’re hardly one to say that,” Kaname remarked. “Stalker-senpai.”

“I resent that accusation. But at least I’m not into cosplay.”

Momomi’s brow wrinkled. “Cosplay?”

“Exactly,” Amiki sighed. “Shion’s right on this one. Surprisingly.”

Shion’s brow twitched. “Surprisingly?”

Kaname groaned. “Well, yet more maniacs. Everyone I met yesterday were pretty manic as well. One way or the other, in different forms and with different signs, but still… everyone involved with this bloody play is mad.”

“I think that’s because only an idiot would voluntarily give up this much time for something that’s only semi-official in the first place.” Amiki chewed on some egg. “O’course, that goes for both of us as well. Tells you something, doesn’t it?”

“Well, our enthusiasm is good enough, and it’s a chance to meet new people.” Shion’s lips twitched into an enigmatic smile. “Have any of you made any friends yet?”

“Well, Nagasawa-san was sane, if superior. I guess she’s not friend material, though.” Momomi rubbed her eyes, yawning. “And Murai was just way too young and over-enthusiastic.”

“Her? Oh, she’s one of my little friends. That’s why she took part, I suppose.”

“Honestly, you don’t patronise them much, now do you?” Kaname closed her eyes. “It gets bloody annoying after a while.”

“It’s only because I like them,” Shion explained. “Diminutisation is a habit of mine. Rather like me talking you Kenjou-kun, Kenjou-kun.”

“Yeah, well, that’s annoying too…”

“Hardly. It’s hilarious.” Amiki lowered her chopsticks and checked her watch, then leaned back on in her seat. “You’re just over-defensive.”

“I’m glad you agree, Rivera-chan.” Shion looked across the room, narrowly avoiding the Kenjou Death Glare. “But I’m fond of Murai. She is a very enthusiastic girl, with a commendable girl.”

“No doubt you’ll have the pleasure of watching that youthful innocence slowly shredded as the years pass.” Olesa flicked a hair off her brilliant white blazer. “That’s why I try not to take an interest in such things, really.”

“Now that’s cynical… and this is me saying that.” Kaname rubbed her forehead irritably. “That’s cast-iron proof that this world is going mad.”

“Going mad?” Amiki asked. “I wish I could be so sanguine. It’s been that way ever since we met.”

“We’ll see about that, though. If everything goes well for her, nothing so dramatic will occur.” Shion glanced at them. “Of course, I’m expecting you to work hard as responsible senpais to prevent such nasty things, no?”

Kaname put her chopsticks aside, then stuck her hands in her pockets. “Don’t look at me. Isn’t that your job?”

“Exactly. We’re still young and busy ourselves, we don’t have that kind of time, you know.” Momomi folded her arms. “Especially me, as I’m relatively new to this school myself.”

“Good attitudes. I’m glad you aren’t the kind of people we cite to prove that the room helper system is unnecessary…”

“The thing is, of course, that we’re normal Spicans.” Amiki smirked. “The kind of people who join because they despise the idea of room helpers.”

Shion rested her head on her hands, sighing. “There’s probably a grain of truth in that, of course, which makes me sad. Well, Miator’s traditions in general and that one in particular are completely outdated…”

“Is it possible to transfer schools?” Olesa mused. “Joining Miator in third year would be optimal, after all.”

“I think you need a very, very good reason before that happens,” Shion observed. “Thank god.”

“That’s too bad. I wouldn’t mind having a girl to my chores for me, after all.”

“Don’t you have Ami…” Kaname grinned, “Alicia-chan for that?”

“You want to die?” Amiki asked seriously. “Listening to you molest my birth name with your tongue is extremely painful.”

“Now that wasn’t sexual at all…” Momomi muttered.

“By and large, I have more important things for Amiki to do than common cleaning.” Olesa shrugged. “Homework. Gaming. And other pastimes of that kind. That’s obvious, isn’t it?”

“If you say so… at which point, I have to wonder why she’s a servant.” Kaname rolled her eyes. “Well, far be it from a mere commoner to question the ways of the Perez family, I’m sure.”

“It works, so that’s enough,” Amiki explained. “Traditions should be adapted to a modern world, after all. That’s the purpose of this conversation, because Miator doesn’t do that.”

“Well, we’ll eagerly await the day when roommates become video-game partners,” Shion replied, smiling. “They could become the new Lulim that way.”

“I’m sure you’ll be encouraging them to do that soon,” Kaname observed. “It’s your idea of sabotage, after all.”

“Please. I wouldn’t do something so uncivilised. It’s more fun if I have a decent opponent, after all. And however you look at it, Lulim aren’t opposition material. I’m quite like you in that respect.”

“What are you talking about?” Kaname asked defensively. “You sure say some unnecessary things…”

“Kiyashiki-san,” Amane murmured.

The brown-haired girl jumped. “Yes?”

“I was wondering what you were looking at.”

Kaname glared at her rival, before glancing at Momomi. She did look a little distracted. It’s certainly annoying if Amane, of all people beats me to it. “Are you alright?” she asked roughly. “Spacing out like that is bad for you.”

“It’s nothing,” Momomi replied, glancing at them and smiling slightly. “There’s no need to be too dramatic about things, after all.”

“Ah…”

“Then pay attention, if there’s nothing wrong,” Kaname complained. “It’s not encouraging if we’re so boring that you can’t be bothered to even pretend to listen to us.”

“Oh, you’re just too sensitive. But I was just thinking about that girl.”

Kaname’s brow wrinkled as she looked around. “That girl?”

“Asayo Koike-san,” Amane said blandly.

“Yeah, her. She’s a strange one.” Momomi shrugged. “Well, it looks like she’s with friends now, so I don’t have to worry about it.”

“From what I know of her, there’s no reason for you to concern yourself with her,” Kaname said. “She’s a pretty annoying girl.”

“Mm. Well, we appear in more than a few scenes together, that’s all.” Momomi glanced at the other three. “Do you know anything about?”

Amiki shrugged. “She’s not a fangirl or ditz… but the other kind of girl who attends here. Our kind.”

“But she doesn’t bother us so we don’t bother her,” Olesa observed. “That’s all. For you, too, that should be sufficient.”

“I guess so,” Momomi replied. “How about you, Shion? Anything I should know?”

Shion shrugged. “I know rather more than I consider it reasonable to say. This school has a lot of secrets, and I’m good at digging them up. No, Amane-san?”

“Ah.”

Momomi pouted. “That’s mean. Spill the dirt, already.”

“Why are you so interested? She’s just another girl.”

“She’s another very annoying girl. It only makes sense, doesn’t it?” Momomi sighed. “They always seem t get involved with me in the end…”

Shion chuckled. “Well, there’s no danger of that. Beyond her narrow circle, Koike-san isn’t particularly forceful. She’s someone who could well be known as Spica’s ice princess, for various reasons.”

“After Amane’s nickname?” Kaname sighed. “The people in this school need to be more inventive, seriously. Just as long as she doesn’t bother me, though, whatever.”

“She’s talented, though. Koike is someone, alongside you four, who I consider worth my time. I hope you don’t consider yourselves unique in that respect.” Shion closed her eyes and shrugged, smiling wanly. “Of course, Koike-san doesn’t consider me worth her time.”

“So why is she the play, then?” Momomi inquired. “Isn’t that a bother for her?”

“Who knows? I’m hardly a friend of hers, Kiyashiki-san.” She opened one eye. “But Kenjou-kun is right. It isn’t an important matter.”

“I see.” Momomi scratched her forehead. “I was just curious, that’s all.”

“That’s what you said the first time you confessed to Kaname, and look where it got you,” Amiki teased.

“Is she bothering you, though?” Kaname demanded. “If she is, I’ll tell her to stop. Bitches like that need a lot of warning.”

“People like me, you mean?” Momomi shrugged. “But they’re right. It isn’t an important matter, just something of curiosity. Let’s leave it at that.”

“And on that note, we don’t have very much time.” Shion checked her watch. “We’d better get to our lessons. They won’t stop for our convenience, sadly.”

Kaname stood, shouldering her bag. “Let’s go, Momomi.”

The brown-haired girl nodded, standing herself. But her gaze wandered to Koike as the girl walked out.

Thanks in large part to that, Kaname spent the next few lessons in a dark mood. I’m beginning to suspect that she’s going off again. I wouldn’t expect it from someone like Momomi, but I’ve worked it out by now. Momomi regards most decent people as pests and the unfriendly and unpleasant kind fascinating challenges…Olesa, Amane and even myself were probably all something like that to her, in the past. Probably her kind of egoism. She likes to regard herself as different, someone who can reach the sort of person that others can’t, through a combination of perception, patience and bloody-minded persistence. And who am I to call her wrong when she thinks that? It worked on Amane to some degree, on Olesa considerably more, and possibly on me. Though as far as I’m concerned, I didn’t just sit there and let her do all the moving, unlike those two. I have my pride, of course. But still, some people enjoy adopting little lost puppies or broken birds and nursing them back to health. Momomi is the only person I’ve ever known who really gets a kick out of cautiously approaching rabid animals with a long stick in one hand and a bone in the other. Kaname rubbed her eyes tiredly. Maybe I shouldn’t have got up so early after all. But still, I’m not sure whether to be glad or annoyed by her sudden interest, if that is what is going on. On one hand, the novelty might drag her away from Amane, at least, which would suit me just fine. On the other, she may simply spend more time on her snake charming, and if she’s going to make a habit of this we’ll soon have problems. As always, she does superfluous things and leaves me wondering how to fix it. At least my feud with Amane is simple and clean. She looked cautiously across the classroom at a girl she’d never bothered to notice before. So I guess I should stop it, somehow. But I can’t just tell Momomi. That’ll only make her obstinate. I guess I’ll have to go straight to the source…and besides, this is another matter of pride. However you look at it, Momomi and Shion have better awareness of the people around them than I do. Which is just embarrassing, considering Momomi is the transfer student. Amiki and Olesa too. Being the one with the facts for once could be fun. Kaname smirked. Of course, my methods may be a little simpler than theirs are. But that’s all to the good. I’ve got no patience with complicated things.

So when the morning lessons finally ended she walked forwards and stopped in front of the girl’s desk. “Asayo Koike, no?”

“That’s right. Shouldn’t you know, Kenjou? We’ve only been in the same class for a year and a half.” Koike’s lips curled into a smile. “Of course, for someone like you, any length of time makes no difference at all.”

Yeah. I don’t like her, not at all. Kaname scowled. “Come with me.”

“Oh?” Koike giggled. “Inviting me out on a date, is it? I would, Kenjou, but I can’t let you betray Kiyashiki-san. Or should that be Phareli-san?”

But she doesn’t want me to like her, that’s the point. So I’ll bear with it, if only to spite her. “You’re noisy. Just come.” Well… mostly.

Yuho glanced between them, looking puzzled. “What are you doing, Kenjou? If you think I’ll let you do whatever you like with her-”

“It’s fine, Yuho,” Koike replied confidently. “Just a talk, is it, Kenjou?”

“That’s right.”

“Then that’s fine. I’ll catch up with you guys, later.” Koike waved. “After all, how could I resist such a polite invitation?”

Yuho glared, plainly unhappy, then shrugged. “Whatever. Just watch out. She is the violent hooligan, after all.”

“Yes, yes.”

Kaname just snorted, turning on her heels. “Hurry it up.”

“I’m coming,” Koike replied cheerfully. She was silent for a while, until they’d moved away from most people along the corridors, then she spoke again. “Well, this is exciting, isn’t it? The introvert Kenjou talking to innocent me? I’m flattered, I suppose.”

“Don’t be.” Kaname stuck her hands in her pockets, already regretting her impulsive decision. Shion and Momomi make this crap look so easy. Well, it isn’t hard, but it is a bother.

“So what’s up? Lose a bet with Kiyashiki? Or did Tomori-senpai put you up to this?” Koike shook her head. “But Tomori-senpai would send Kiyashiki-san or Rivera-san, if it was her. They’re more eloquent than you.”

“You sue take a great interest in us, don’t you?”

“There are people, and then there are people who watch people, but who watches the watchers?” Koike smirked. “The answer is me. But I’ve had a particular reason to watch you all in recent times. In any case, send Tomori-senpai my compliments. But if she was the one, tell her not to bother.”

“So I’m a pawn, now?” Kaname inquired irritably. “I’m afraid to say that I’m nothing so easy to fit into your world-view. You’re not important enough for anything so organised to occur.”

“Well, obviously I’m important to someone, aren’t I?” Koike chuckled. “You’re talking to me, after all.”

“I’m flattered you think I flatter you so much merely by talking to you.”

“If it makes you overcome your antisocial tendencies, it must be important. But don’t tell me yet, I haven’t finished guessing.” Koike closed her eyes for a moment, then opened them, smiling arrogantly. “Amane-chan, perhaps?”

“Do you really think I’d take orders from her?” Kaname snorted. “Don’t joke around. Besides, do you think she’d even notice and care about you?”

“Well, I’m a little better off in that respect than you are.” Koike smirked. “Of course, I’m not her rival. I was surprised, though, when I found just who it was who managed to get to her.”

“Whatever. You’re still talking fantasy.”

“Well, if it really was Amane-chan, it would probably be Kiyashiki-san who would put you up to it.” Koike shrugged as they stepped out into the open. “But I’ve played a guessing game for long enough, haven’t I? If you’re the one to call me out, shouldn’t you do most of the talking?”

“If you’d shut up for a few seconds, I’ll begin.” Kaname glared at her. “You’re obnoxiously talkative.”

“Oh, really?” Koike smiled as if that had been high praise. “You seemed awkward, Kenjou, so I thought I’d break the ice and put you at your ease. Apparently I succeeded.”

Kaname fumed silently for a moment, before collecting herself again. That’s what she wants. “Well, what I actually have to say is simple and to the point. If you bother Momomi, I’ll make you suffer for that. At that damn play or anywhere else, I expect you to civil. I hear you weren’t yesterday.” That was a bluff, of course, but a good one.

“Hmm. It does appear that Kiyashiki-san is overstating the situation,” Koike mused. “And your over-protective boyfriend act is very cute. But I don’t think I take orders from you, so I’m sure I’ll treat her just as I please.”

Kaname snorted. “Well, she hardly needs protection. But it’s something I intend to say anyway. I certainly don’t trust you.”

“Well, if it came to physical conflict, you’d definitely have the conflict,” Koike continued thoughtfully. “Unless I had my bow to hand, but that’s slightly illegal. Of course, I could then get you in significant trouble. But provided it’s not an expulsion offence, you probably won’t care, and I’ll still be in pain. That’s your logic, right?”

“If it comes to that, yes. But isn’t it obvious that it shouldn’t?” Kaname folded her eyes, looking down at the other girl. “If you have to talk to her, cut out your smart-ass crap. Otherwise stay away from her. What do you lose?”

“It’s the principle of the thing, isn’t it, Kenjou? I’m sure you understand that.” Koike glanced back at her. “Now that you’ve challenged me like this, I don’t have any choice but to bother Kiyashiki-san as much possible. Do you really think I’d take orders from you?”

“No. But I can provide useful advice.”

“Hmm. Well, I’m not convinced. So what have you gained from this exchange?”

“Fair warning,” Kaname grunted. “If you annoy her now, I won’t need any kind of prelude.”

“Wow. Surprisingly honourable, Kenjou. I thought you’d bash my brains out from behind with your bokken.”

“I’m always straight-forwards. You’re the sneaky one.” Kaname folded her arms, walking away. “But I’ve warned you. That’s all.”

“Say, Kenjou, is this really alright?” Koike asked.

Kaname stopped and turned her head. “What are you muttering about?”

“Well, if you’re going to be overprotective… not that I understand why you’d want to protect her, but that’s not the point…” Koike shook out her hair slightly, smiling and looking up assertively. “Shouldn’t you begin with Amane-chan? Isn’t she the bigger problem here?”

“That’s not your business,” Kaname muttered stiffly.

“Well, you’ve sorta made it my business, to talk to me like this all of a sudden.” Koike smirked. “Something like that? But however I look at it, I’m not the problem here. You can keep Kiyashiki-san. But Amane-chan thinks differently.”

“Amane-chan, is it?” Kaname snorted. “Don’t you people normally call her ‘sama’?”

“No, actually, we’re not creeps. But she’s Amane-chan to me, though I’m more polite to her face. I have my reasons. You have a really casual attitude, though, Kenjou. Isn’t she the girl who beat you at everything?”

“As if you aren’t way beneath me in that same everything,” Kaname replied.

“That’s got nothing to do with it. It’s Amane who is your rival, and she’s definitely more outstanding.” Koike closed her eyes. “In terms of birth, money, manners and upbringing alone, isn’t she far more suited to the Phareli child? Compared to a penniless commoner like you…”

“As if Momomi cares about that crap. She doesn’t have time for any of that family tradition nonsense.”

“Hmm? How romantic. But I wonder how long such a teenage rebellion will last.” Koike put a hand on her hip, cocking her head. “How serious are you about Kiyashiki-san, Kenjou?”

Kaname flushed, turning away. Just walk away. You don’t have to listen to this. No, it would be stupid to listen to this. “What are you getting at?”

“Oh, I’m just wondering. But certainly, rebellion is fine now, within the comfort of Astraea… there’s no impact on her life.” Koike closed her eyes. “But when she grows up, what then? What happens when she realises she won’t be able to live in the manner she’s become accustomed to?”

“You appear to mistake Momomi for someone like you,” Kaname snapped. “She’s a lot stronger than that. She knows what she’s choosing, and she’ll see it through. That’s who she is, not that you’d know.”

“Ah, a touching lover’s faith.” Koike chuckled. “But I think you’re the deluded one here. We’ve seen it before, deviant children running back to the nest when they realise love won’t help them survive in real life at all.”

“And some of them make it, too. If you deny that, you’d the stupid one.” Kaname glared. “Momomi will go as far as she needs to. Besides, deviant? That kind of language is just beyond pathetic.”

“Oh, really? Well, the truth hurts… especially in a place like this, with a pretence of faith…” Koike laughed out loud. “Okay, even for me that’s too much. You’re right, of course, but it isn’t the point. Sentiment and pride alone won’t sustain anyone. Kiyashiki-san may make it or cave, but that isn’t the point.”

I should walk away. “She’ll make it. That’s something you wouldn’t know about it.” Kaname glared. “I’m the only one here who knows what real life is like, after all. And she’s strong enough for it.”

“Oh? Is that so?” Koike asked politely. “Thanks for a thirteen year-old’s partisan view. But it isn’t the point. From her perspective, she can suffer and struggle with a life like that, or someone can deliver her into the lap of luxury like Amane-chan. So what does she gain?”

“What does Amane have to do with it? As if her parents would let it be…”

“Well, no. Actually, the Ohtori family has by and large given up on her, so she has a larger than usual amount of autonomy without power. She isn’t in serious consideration for high positions.” Koike smirked. “Only a family like the Ohtori could dismiss someone so talented so easily, but that’s how it is. She’s better placed than most.”

“Better placed to be auctioned off. Besides, it’s also something a lot simpler than your theory.” Kaname stepped forwards. “She doesn’t like Amane. Though no doubt you left that out of your theoretical calculations.”

“Well, I’m talking in hypothetical terms, after all.” Koike shrugged. “You’re only a young, so the odds of your relationship holding out that long are zero. But it’s nice to talk about, isn’t it?”

“I said this before, but you talk way too much. Especially when you end up changing your point completely…”

“Hardly. My point still stands. If it was for me, at least, I would definitely feel more threatened by Amane-chan. She’s like you, but with genuine blue blood and also- dare I say it- less rough edges.” Koike chuckled. “Well, I can only speak for myself, Kenjou, but I’d sooner fall for her, not you.”

“Like I said, your theories are very cute. But that’s all they are, theories.” Kaname folded her arms. “I’m the one Momomi likes. That’s all.”

“Such boldness, to be talking about a fickle teenage love.” Koike shrugged. “Well, it’s your choice. But while you’re talking here, doesn’t it worry you that they’re riding out there?”

Kaname scowled. “I trust Momomi.”

“Again, that’s touching. I’m glad to hear it.” Koike glanced sideways at Kaname. “But that doesn’t mean it feels good, now does it?”

“Of course it doesn’t bother me.”

“Really? Well, that’s fine.” Koike turned away, looking out over the forest. “But still, it’s an annoying situation, isn’t it? Momomi stands between the two of you, even though you hate each other. You like Kiyashiki, Kiyashiki likes you, and don’t you think that Amane-chan likes your precious Momomi as well?”

“She doesn’t stand a chance. So she can feel what she likes, whatever she feels.”

“So you don’t disagree with me on that. But it’s still true. This halfway has to be very unsatisfactory for you. Shouldn’t Kiyashiki-san take your feelings into consideration a little more? You’re her girlfriend, after all.”

“Am I supposed to take you seriously?” Kaname asked acidly. “This time yesterday, after all, I could barely remember your name.”

“More fool you. But this situation doesn’t advantage you at all, however I look at it. Your important Kiyashiki-san spends so much time with Amane-chan, and more to the point, Amane has chance after chance to work on Momomi. You say you trust her, but time changes everything, and can you really be naïve enough to say these things last forever? What if you have an argument? Won’t she come crying to Amane?”

“I’m not that paranoid, jealous or pathetic,” Kaname retorted. “Unlike you, I know Momomi has rights. She can be friends with whoever she likes.”

“The maturity card from you? Amusing. But what do you gain, Kenjou?” Koike turned, smiling. “Nothing. So shouldn’t you tear it all down? A decisive contest between you and Amane, with Kiyashiki-san as the prize. Isn’t that a fight you should win?”

“Get real. I have better things to do.” Kaname turned on her heel, walking back towards the school as the bell rang.

“Oh? Well, that’s fine, but if you ever want to take Amane-chan on…” Koike smiled as Kaname looked back. “I’ll back you up, Kenjou. And I know quite a lot about Amane.”

“Why would I trust you to help me, even if I was interested?” Kaname snorted. “Don’t screw with me. I’m not that easy to manipulate.”

“Well, there’s one good reason.” Koike raised a finger happily. “I like Amane-chan.”

Onwards to Part 70


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction