Astraea Lake (part 7 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 6 Untitled Document

Momomi winced, raising one hand to try and shield her face. The other was still tightly clutching her mobile phone, as if her life depended on it. If this continued to happen, her life probably would depend on it.

“Stupid bitch!” Amiki exclaimed, looking annoyed. “Fight back, why don’t you?”

There’s no point. I can’t fight. I’m weak, not strong like Kaname. It can’t be helped any more. But… it hurts. Momomi took a deep breath. I just have to hold on. If I don’t fight back, she’ll get bored sooner and go away. Then I can go find Kaname and Shion. They’d better be waiting up.

Olesa watched her, frowning slightly as Amiki continued unabated. “You have no spine at all,” Amiki said, hoisting Momomi up by the collar. “Clever words, that’s all you have, but nothing to back it up. I hate people like you.” She was slapped repeatedly then thrown against the tree again. Amiki tripped her and she fell hard, sprawling across the ground and protecting her face with her free hand. She struggled to rise, holding her phone in the other as if it was her last hold on sanity.

“Check her pockets,” Olesa ordered quietly.

Shit. Momomi tried to fight back for the first time, raising both hands and flailing ineffectively at Amiki, but the girl caught both her arms and gestured for one of the other girls to move in and frisk her. Out came a handkerchief, a spare pen, her purse and, of course, her phone.

Olesa’s face twitched instantly, but she schooled her expression. “Give me that,” she said, pointing to the mobile.

“That’s a good idea,” Amiki agreed, grabbing it and holding it up. “Looks quite expensive. And it’s completely wasted on this asocial little girl.”

“Give that back!” Momomi struggled impotently, landing a kick on Amiki’s shin.

“You want it?” Amiki sounded amused. She held it above Momomi’s head, letting the brown-haired girl struggle foolishly. “What’s so important? Who’re you gonna call? Her girlfriend? Yeah, right… she’s not here to rescue you now, you know.”

“You bastards!” That was what someone screamed. It wasn’t anything to do with fear or shock or panic. It was the kind of scream that made other people afraid, shocked and panicked. It wasn’t a war cry, exactly, because that implied values beyond hatred; rather, it was the essence of a war cry congealed into a thick, throaty shout that echoed in the mind long after the actual words had come to rest. That would be how Kaname would put it, anyway. I’m more worried about the fact that she’s going to bring the whole school running here.

Amiki dropped the phone and started to move towards Kaname, but she didn’t have more than a second to react before the taller girl jumped, practically landing on top of her and knocking her off-balance. She punched Kaname several times in the face but the girl didn’t even notice, kicking Amiki repeatedly in the legs then knocking her over with a single punch to the nose. “You bastards!” she screamed. “I’m going to slaughter you all!”

“No need,” Momomi gasped, falling to her knees. “But could you find my phone?”

“So you did come after all.” Amiki stood and faced down the ragged blue-haired girl. “Have to look after your girlfriend, don’t you?” She turned to the others. “Come on, it’s four on one!”

“You made my day,” Kaname said hoarsely, throwing herself forwards without a moment’s thought.

“No, this isn’t strictly necessary,” Momomi muttered, throwing her hands over her head as Kaname slammed into the first girl, sending her staggering backwards to trip on a prone Momomi. She tried to move away before the girl could take it out on her, scrabbling across the floor for her phone. If someone treads on it…

Kaname, overhead, fought like a human whirlwind, offering no quarter at all and fighting without inhibition or restraint. Ultimately, that was her edge. She was faster and stronger than any of them while there were four of them and she was alone. But they hesitated, punching badly and getting in each other’s way, hating to approach her and her promise of pain. Kaname fought without caring or even noticing that she was hurt. It wasn’t important. It didn’t matter how badly she got hurt. The important thing was that she hurt them and hurt them and hurt them, far more than they were hurting her, never giving them a chance to think or breathe, always fighting on using instincts alone and any methods. She punched, kicked, scratched, pulled their hair, tripped them; she would have bitten them if there had been any chance for that. She didn’t need to be elegant. She just had to win. That was what fighting meant, and a bunch of rich schoolgirls would never know that simple fact.

Momomi crawled across the floor, hoping no one would notice her. She looked up at the wrong moment and caught a bloodied Kaname headbutt Amiki, sending the girl staggering back. Another of the girls grabbed Kaname from behind, but she simply threw her head backwards instead, then twisted and tore the girl off, kicking her in the knee until she folded over. The others were hitting her, Amiki ran at her and hit her in the waist, knocking her over, but Kaname kicked and twisted like a snake, punching again and again until the girl was forced to let go. She rose to her feet again, the other girls visibly taking a step back as she raised her hands again. But Amiki came up from behind, pulling her into a chokehold and yet another struggle. That bitch is impressive. But Kaname… she’s amazing. She’s being hurt so much, but it’s like she doesn’t even notice. She’s unstoppable. But.. why? Why she’s going so far?

That was when she noticed Olesa, kneeling down to pick up the phone. She yelped and threw herself forwards, landing on top of the girl and knocking them other. They struggled furiously, scratching at each other and rolling across the ground. Momomi managed to tear the phone free of her grasp but Olesa grabbed her before she could escape, pushing her down again and slamming her palm repeatedly into the ground. “You bitch,” Momomi whispered, dropping the phone and fighting back with both hands. She managed to get a grip on Olesa’s hair, pulling it hard, but the girl replied by scratching her face with surprisingly vicious nails. This is so inelegant. That would be Momomi’s thoughts looking back. But in the meantime, she wasn’t thinking at all, only reacting.

Kaname charged one girl down, punching her repeatedly in the stomach, following through with a full-on blow to the solar plexus then slamming her into a tree by the neck. The girl collapsed, whimpering, but Amiki threw herself at Kaname again, throwing her in turn into the tree. She grabbed the back of Kaname’s head and slammed it forwards, only for Kaname to turn and punch back, forcing her to retreat to give space. “Bitch!” Kaname spat, turning a horribly bruised face and running headlong at Akimi. By now, the other girls were too injured and too intimidated to fight. They were alone. She threw a straight punch at Amiki’s face, but somehow the girl found the reflexes to move sideways, dodging the attack and driving her own fist in Kaname’s stomach. She gasped for breath, but fought back anyway, throwing her extended arm sideways and elbowing Amiki in the forehead, then turning and kicking at her shin. The girl stepped back, face bloody, and raised her fists as Kaname surged forwards again. This time, though, Kaname threw herself forwards, rugby-tackling the girl before she could move away. Amiki punched her repeatedly in the head, but Kaname pressed forwards, headbutting Amiki again and reaching in to throttle the girl into submission. However, she herself got punched in the neck, winding her and giving Amiki a second to slip free. They both moved clear and stood, facing each other again.

Somehow, Momomi ended up on her back, kicking blindly at Olesa, who was doing something similar in retaliation. The net effect was that of two babies having a temper tantrum, only the babies in this instance were the size of teenage girls. A particularly hard blow pushed them both clear, then their brains re-engaged and they both scrambled up, searching for the phone. But Momomi was far worse off, her legs almost folding under her. She could only watch in impotence as Olesa reached for the phone.

A foot slid down in front of it, blocking Olesa’s part. “Looking for this?” Shion said pleasantly, leaning down and picking it up.

Olesa looked up at the senpai apprehensively.

“My, my. No, this is Kiyashiki-san’s phone. But you’re a very graceful girl for picking it up, Perez-san.”

“Interesting,” Amiki said, breathing deeply. “I’ll ask you one more time. Where did you learn to fight like that?”

“I’ll return that question,” Kaname retorted, eyes still livid. “But I’ll ask your corpse!” The two girls charged again.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” a voice screamed.

Both girls slid to a halt instantly, looking around. Red hair, the colour of still-moist blood, pale skin, red eyes and aquiline features, all shocking against the restraint of Miator’s black. That was what they saw in an instant, to their considerable discomfort. “Kariya-sama,” they chorused.

“Don’t you dare Kariya-sama me under these circumstances!” the Etoile shouted, red in the face.

“Sorry, Kariya-sama.”

“All of you are disgraces!” Kariya continued, apparently without breath. “I’m disgusted beyond belief by your behaviour. Is this Spica’s idea of discipline?”

“I can explain everything, Etoile-sama,” Shion said, cut to the quick by the comment about Spica. “This is a simple case, and evidence we have right here will prove-”

“Do I look like I care for an explanation?” Kariya demanded.

“No, Etoile-sama.” Shion wilted under her gaze.

Kariya snorted, folding her arms and looking scornfully at them all, one by one. “All I see is two groups of students brawling like commoners. How dare you lower yourselves like this!”

“Well, forgive me,” Kaname muttered through swollen cheeks. “Not all of us have lofty upbringings.”

Kariya cut her dead with a glare. “You have no right to speak! You may think your background excuses everything, Kenjou, but you’re wrong! You are expected to follow and exeed our standards, precisely because you are unusual here!”

“This is my fault,” Momomi tried. “Kaname was just defending me. It’s not her fault.”

Kariya turned and roasted with her gaze, opening her mouth for a moment, only to turn her attention on the gathering crowd. “Go away!” she shouted. “This isn’t theatre!”

The girls dispersed as if they’d been strafed by a flame-thrower.

Serané emerged from the trees like a guardian angel. “Kariya, shall we leave it here for now?”

“Why should we be so soft?” Kariya asked. “They deserve far more than this, and I intend to give them it. Only pain and fear serves with this kind of person.”

Serané smiled sweetly, cocking her head.“Well, perhaps. But they’ve been hurt rather a lot. I think we should take them to the infirmary in the meantime. Ishii-san, Tou-san, Sai-san, can you gather some students and deal with it?”

“Yes, Etoile-sama.” The sixth-years hurried after the crowd, which had reformed a healthy distance from Kariya.

“I see,” Kariya murmurred, looking satisfied. “We can let them heal first. Then we can punish them terribly.”

“Exactly,” Serané replied, somewhat uncertainly. “I’m sure we can get to the bottom of this in the time, as well.”

“I suppose so. I don’t know who started what, or why, but I can promise you this.” She smiled. “By the time I’m finished with you you’ll wish that I’d merely given you a second set of bruises.”

“Now, now, Kariya, I think they’re sufficiently chastened.”

The red-head snorted. “There’s no such thing. Look at these two, Kenjou and Rivera. Habitual criminals.”

“I don’t think they’re actually criminals, Kariya.”

“Can’t we convict them for assault? We should be able to.”

“I don’t think we have to, though, Kariya,” Serané said.

“Hmm,” Kariya said, as if testing the concept. “I suppose so. No, that’s probably for the best, the police aren’t very efficent. But they’ll be punished horribly. Funny timing, though, Kiyashiki. Having fun now you’re leaving?”

“I’m-”

“Kiyashiki-san’s departure is not cast in iron, Kariya.” Serané walked forwards, touching her partner lightly on the shoulder. “I don’t think it has anything to do with this.”

“I should hope so.” But Kariya looked mollified nonetheless. “In any case, shall we leave this to the others?”

“That sounds like a wonderful idea, Kariya.”

“Alright, let’s go, Shizuru.”

Kaname looked around, trying to find whoever the hell had responded to that name, only to see that Kariya had already stalked off, Serané happily in tow. “Wait, wait, wait. Shizuru?

“I think she meant Serané.” Momomi shrugged. “Who knows with her?”

“Probably Kariya’s ham-fisted attempt to translate or at least capture the spirit of the name Serané,” Shion suggested. “It’s the kind of endearing diminutive-”

“Thank you, I’ve stopped caring.” Kaname sighed deeply, cursing all downright weird student leaders.

“Totally,” Momomi said. “You should try not to sound too much like a dictionary.”

“I’m trying to work out who does it better,” Shion mused. “Kariya and Serané, or you two. Either part could pass for some kind of comic double act.”

“So I’m not the only one who’s noticed that those two talk and act like the school’s most famous couple.” Amiki looked pointedly between the two of them. “The dumb fighter and the ladylike thinker.”

Kaname laughed sarcastically. “Doesn’t that go for you and your girl too?”

“At least we have communication,” Momomi continued. “Olesa doesn’t say a thing.”

“There’s no need for her to speak.” Amiki stretched carelessly. “Of course.”

“Well, there will be soon enough.” Shion smiled happily at her. There was just a hint of irony there, though… “This will all be dragged out into the light.”

“Whatever,” Amiki said. “I’m not the one who laid three girls out in an assault, or the one who’s leaving in a few days.”

“I told you. I’m not going anywhere.”

“After this? Let’s face it, you didn’t exactly come out smelling of roses,” Amiki said. “What were you babbling about earlier, anyway?”

“Just guesswork,” Momomi said. “I don’t know why you follow Olesa, but you should be careful.”

“You really don’t know anything, do you?” Amiki said.

“Yes, it does seem that way,” Shion said.

“Eh?”

Before the blonde could say any more, they were arrested by a swarm of enthusiastic students.

“Looks like I screwed up.”

“Eh?”

“I said I screwed up,” Kaname said loudly. She leaned back on her bed looked at the ceiling. “I’ve made things very difficult for you.”

“It’s fine,” Momomi assured her. “You protected me. I’m glad of that.” She glanced sidelong at her companion, who was a mess of bandages. “Though you haven’t learned any more self-preservation.”

“That Amiki,” Kaname said with a hint of embaressment. “She’s not normal. No way. She can fight like I can… that means she’s something far different from you aristocrats.”

“I’d thought you’d have noticed that after the fifth time she blackened your eye,” Momomi said. “Shion knows, but we don’t.”

“That useless girl.” Kaname scowled irritably, her free hand curling into a fist. “Does she ever do anything at all?”

“She retrieved the most important thing,” Momomi said, holding up her phone. “Though it didn’t go quite as well as I’d hoped.”

“What do you mean?”

“I managed to make Olesa commit herself out loud,” Momomi explained. “I said a load of things. I’ve no idea whether any of it was actually true, but I annoyed her enough for this.”

“I see.” Kaname closed her eyes. “That’s quite useful. A sneaky method, as expected of you.”

“Well, like I said, things aren’t ideal.” Momomi paused for a moment. “But my position’s workable, I think. By the way, what we do know is that Olesa and Amiki are both from Spain. I suspect Amiki’s just an adopted name, not her real one.”

“Yes, yes. But what’s their relationship? That’s something I’m curious about.”

“I’ve no idea,” Momomi said. “It’s something we’ll work out later. But not now.”

Her phone beeped. She looked at the display and smiled. “Aha. So we begin.”

“Sorry?” Kaname said.

“Shion’s being useful. I presume this is Olesa’s number. God knows how she got it. Well, we have a lot to talk about.” She punched in the number and raised the phone to her ear.

Hello, Kiyashiki-san.” Olesa’s voice as impassive and accentless as always.

“We’ll cut to the chase, shall we?” Momomi said. “Only half an hour till we have to face them all, right?”

Understood.”

“Now, I’m seriously pissed off, and I could just throw Amiki into trouble again. But that’s too easy. This time, I can get you. You know why.”

My record is considerably more robust than yours, Kiyashiki-san.”

“That won’t help,” Momomi said. “This is enough. You know that. Even if you could talk your way out, I doubt your sidekicks will be as loyal and blind as Amiki.”

Her name is Rivera-san.”

“So you do care a little about her… just a little. But how about what I said earlier? Was I on the money? Because you can keep Amane or becoming an Etoile, I’d hold your coat if you wanted to chase after her or the title-”

That isn’t within the terms of the discussion. You said it yourself, we have little time. What do you want?”

“Why would I want anything? Aren’t you the one who wants something here?”

If I had nothing you didn’t have, we would not be having this conversation.”

“Smart girl,” Momomi said. “Alright, we’ll talk.”

This is about your purported departure, is it not?”

“You’re sharp. As I should expect of you, you aren’t stupid. In any case, you’re right. My parents want me to leave. I don’t want to leave. That’s the situation.”

Without money or parental consent you stand no chance.”

“Don’t worry about that stuff. That’s my area. I want you and Amiki at my disposal for this, though. We can use you for something. Making tea, perhaps.”

And in return?”

“We’ll creatively reinterpret the truth of the affair in the forest. You and I alike will come out as victims of circumstance. Kaname and Amiki… Rivera-san, will come out as well as can be managed. As for the rest… do you even care?”

I suspect they’re finished with me. There’s no point in making pointless sacrifices.”

“Right. So, my silence on your actions in return for your help. How does that sound?”

That’s not good enough. Even after this, you’ll still be able to blackmail me at your leisure. The deletion of the evidence- that has to be a condition of my involvement.”

“You’re not exactly in a position to dictate terms, Perez-san,” Momomi chided. “I’m not the one who has been a very bad girl.”

While I would be damaged, your evidence is slim. I would not be kicked out of this school, but you stand to be. That would please me greatly, indeed I would do my best to facilitate it. Unless you satisfy my terms. I’m not so stupid as to be blackmailed and then exposed at your leisure.”

“Smart girl, but my evidence’s value will decay with time anyway. It’d just make me suspicious.”

It would not be difficult to paint that as me silencing you. I could do that.”

“Very well,” Momomi said. “Compromise. I’ll give you my phone after it’s certain I’ll still be at school. You can delete anything you find compromising. Agreed?”

Olesa hesitated for a beat. “That will be satisfactory.”

“So now it’s time for creative writing,” Momomi murmurred, tapping a finger against her chin. “We have a chance meeting in the forest, and argue. I bait Ami… Rivera-san. I’m stressed out from this whole leaving school thing, which is true enough. She snaps.”

That’s best. We don’t have much room to manoeuvre. But make the insults credible.”

“Will do, trust me, I’m not short of ideas. Kaname intervenes, but she’s a little overzealous. Hence the massive punch-up. That simple no mention of the unprovoked bullying or your ringleader role. Aren’t I nice?”

You are pragmatic.”

“How about your end?”

Rivera-san will make it clear to my so-called sidekicks. Don’t worry about that.”

“Perfect. I’m glad we can do business, even if I do hate your guts. Now we just thresh out the details.” Momomi leaned back and stretched in a catlike manner, ignoring the pain in her limbs. She loved this game.

Kaname watched her, trying to relax and feel less uneasy. She hadn’t caused any permanent problems. Besides… whatever was going on, she still had no intention of forgiving either Olesa or Amiki. They’d hurt her Momomi, and they’d come to regret that. Picking on a weak, defenceless girl at a time like this… unforgivable. But, with effort, she said nothing until Momomi was finished.

“There.” The girl folded up her phone with a satisfied sigh. “That’s good business.”

“I never knew you were intro this negotiations stuff. I’ve got no time for it, myself.”

“Well, it’s pretty easy when you can anticipate what the other person’s going to do,” Momomi replied with affected modesty. “I can deal on the same level as Olesa, so it’s simple enough.”

“I don’t know how you can bear to, after earlier,” Kaname said. “She hurt you so much, not to mention me rather a lot as well. I’m still furious about that. She’s our enemy, goddamnit! She’s a maniacal, inexplicable egotistic bitch who sets her lackeys on us for no decent reason!”

“It’s fine,” Momomi said.

“What?”

“Well, I think I’d do the same thing in her place,” Momomi said. “Don’t get me wrong, mind. I’d do a lot better. But if I really cared about that stuff… Olesa would be my rival.”

“That doesn’t mean I’m going to forgive her this way round. Amiki wouldn’t either.”

“We’re comparable as pairs, aren’t we?” Momomi looked at Kaname thoughtfully. “Or at least allies of convenience.”

“So what happens when you get to stay? You said you might take more interest in ‘that stuff’, as you put it.”

“Well, I agree with what you want,” Momomi said. “In that situation, it would be necessary to take on Olesa, and beat her. I think she knows that too.”

Kaname sighed and nodded. “I understand. But remember, I’m not Amiki. I’m not your lackey or anything weird like that. Once your position here is guaranteed, once I’ve put one over your father, things are going back to the way they were before. I hope you understand that.”

“I know,” Momomi assured her. “I wouldn’t forget that. And I wouldn’t look down on you. It’s not like I’m too happy with you saving my ass like that earlier.”

“What are you talking about? I just brought you a lot of trouble.” She flicked a finger discontentedly. “After you told me not to fight, too. Its not like I need your permission or anything, but this hasn’t done us any favours. I won’t do anything else, though, my pride demands this much.”

“No, it’s given me several valuable chances. I was able to blackmail Olesa. And we have a cast iron reason to talk to both Serané and Kariya. It’s not an ideal situation, but a chance is a chance.”

“Yeah, right,” Kaname muttered. “Kariya just wants to get off on punishing me excessively again.”

“Probably,” Momomi agreed, smiling thinly. “But… I do want to thank you. I didn’t know you cared so much for me, as you really gave it your all. I can admire that.”

“That wasn’t for you,” Kaname said angrily. “I just hate people like that, picking on soft targets. Besides, I have my own axe to grind with them.”

Momomi giggled. “I know. I was just teasing you.”

“You’re in a good mood,” Kaname said sourly.

“I don’t know why. I feel terrible. Everything aches. But… I guess, for the first time, I’m beginning to think we really can do it. You’re an inspiration.”

“Of course,” Kaname said, sounding completely assured. “There’s nothing the two of us can’t do. I don’t have to like you to admit that.”

“Likewise.”

“Oh, yeah,” Kaname said. “I have this.” She pulled her special plans out of her pocket, noting how ragged they’d become. Well, her blazer was damaged too. She’d need to get a new one, again. The suppliers would not be happy.

“What’s that?” Momomi asked.

“I’ve been working out what we need to do in order to maximise our chances,” Kaname said meditatively. “It’s just like warfare. Everything’s about dividing the enemy and striking where it’s least expected.”

“How so?” Momomi leaned back, smiling with interest.

“Well, first of all, you need to phone your father right away, and apologise,” Kaname said.

“What? Why the hell would I do that?”

“If you can’t see that, you must really hate him,” Kaname said. “A man like him is the sort of person you should find easy to manipulate. If he’s convinced you’re challenging his authority and want to stay, he’ll just become intractable.”

“That’s fine as far as it goes. But the thing is, I am challenging his authority and I do want to stay.”

“You, of all people, aren’t bound by the truth,” Kaname pointed out. “All you have to do is phone up, say you’re sorry, and that you need a little time to think. You didn’t mean to lose your temper. Right? And speak in Italian or whatever, too.”

“But…” Momomi began.

“But what?” Kaname said.

“I can’t just say I’m going home,” Momomi said. “That won’t work at all!”

“That’s not what we’re doing. Apology, not retraction.”

“And… well… you know… there’s such a thing as pride,” Momomi finished lamely. “Don’t you, of all people, know about that?”

Kaname chuckled this time. “Alright, whatever. If your pride is worth more than continuing to be in this room, that’s fine.”

“You don’t have to put it that way,” Momomi said, puffing out her cheeks indignantly. “I get it, already.”

“This is my role,” Kaname said thoughtfully, raising a hand and looking at the ceiling.

“Hmm?”

“I say the things you don’t want to hear,” she continued. “You say the things that I don’t want to hear. Something like that?”

Momomi cocked her head, considering. “I suppose so. It helps that we’re willing to consider almost anything, between us. There’s a lot to be said for a life without inhibitions.”

“Naturally. That’s the difference between a strong foe and a weak one, you know. It’s why I find this place so laughable. You aristocrats are so preoccupied with manners and politeness and titles… you can never go all out.”

“If you really think that, you’re just fooled by the smokescreen,” Momomi said. “Serané’s kind is the exception, not the rule, and even they have steel in them. We’re a savage and calculating bunch. We just hide it.”

“Then how about here? It’s a hopeless dreamworld. One that you’re clinging to, actually.”

“Well, it’s a dreamworld with interesting people in it,” Momomi said, looking sidelong at her friend. “But it’s a dreamworld because of that life. We’ve discussed this before, really, but we try to escape from dreary destinies. I mean, take Serané and Kariya. The perfect couple, provided you don’t take your Catholicism too seriously. But when they leave here they’ll probably be separated forever.”

“I find that hard to believe. Neither of them would just lay down and die in life like that.”

“I hope so. But it always comes to that battle. Between parents and children. You’re lucky, perhaps the one think you’re lucky in, Kaname, is that you’ll never have to fight that battle. Not in the same way.”

“I suppose so,” Kaname said. “Well, it’s a freedom won at the expense of a home life.”

“In some ways, it’s Serané I feel for. For us, even being disinherited is tolerable… but she actually cares about her family.”

“Don’t expect me to feel too sorry for her, not when you look at what they’ve given her,” Kaname replied cynically. She folded up the rest of her plan. “Well, we can talk about the rest later. I’m tired now.”

Momomi looked at Kaname for a few moments before she spoke again. “How did you learn to fight like that?”

“Like what?” Kaname replied. “It’s just street fighting with a bit of martial arts thrown in.”

“Not that,” Momomi said. “You fight hard and you don’t care about your own pain. You don’t give up, you don’t slow down, you don’t hold back… what am I trying to say? I guess, that you have conviction.”

“Conviction?”

“When you’re ready to fight, you’ll fight to end,” Momomi said. “You’re strong emotionally and physically. I… envy that.”

Kaname snorted. “You shouldn’t be too impressed by that. It’s nothing to do with any kind of strength. Just my father, too many street fights and repetitive action.”

“I know. I know it’s not something I should envy. But…”

“But?”

“Even though I’m grateful- because I’m grateful- if that happens again,” Momomi said. “Leave it be. You don’t have to intervene for me.”

Kaname glanced at her for a second. “I thought so,” she grunted. “I was getting in the way.”

“That’s not it. That’s not it at all.”

“Then what?”

“It’s just… it’s just that…”

Kaname snorted again, closing her eyes.

“It’s just that you’re going to get hurt again, you jerk!”

Kaname, blinked turning to look at the brown-haired girl.

Momomi glowered back, looking flustered and irritated with herself and Kaname alike. “You really can’t look after yourself, and you’re too stupid to be able to control yourself in a fight. You’re really clueless. You fought even though it was four on one! Even for you, that’s just way too dumb. And even though you’re strong and your body heals fast, one day you’re going to push yourself too far, and be hurt permanently. One day you’ll just scream and run in the stupid way you do and lose. So… so… you shouldn’t try and do cool things like protect me any more. It’s just too reckless. I don’t mind being hurt, I know I can’t fight and I’m good at not fighting. So don’t worry about me or Olesa or vengeance or whatever. Worry about yourself instead. That’s what’s important.”

Kaname laughed out loud, closing her eyes and smiling.

“What’s so funny?” Momomi demanded.

“Nothing. But neither of us are very honest.”

“What are you suggesting?”

“Nothing.” She flicked an errant strand of blue hair out of her eyes. “But thanks for your concern. I’ll bear your advice in mind.”

“Good. You’d better.”

“That doesn’t mean I intend to follow it,” Kaname said sharply. “If Olesa’s the foe… I’d rather but cut a thousand times than let you be hurt. You’re right, I don’t care how badly I’m injured. I’ll use this body marked by fighting to protect you from the battles you’ve never learned to fight. You’d better get used to that, it’s what Kaname Kenjou’s decided.”

“Idiot,” Momomi said. “That’s just what you always do, only caring about your own feelings.”

“Perhaps it is selfish,” Kaname said. “Perhaps you’d like it if I held back. But I’m not at the point where I can restrain myself. I don’t care enough. I can’t see that changing.”

“I’ll teach you,” Momomi muttered.

“What?”

“I’ll teach you the reasons why you should protect yourself, not just me,” Momomi said. “Heck, I’ll smack it into your thick skull with a hammer if I have to! But I’m not going to let you do just anything with yourself. That’s what Momomi Kiyashiki’s decided.”

“I guess we really are eternal enemies,” Kaname said.

“You’re right. But…” She frowned to herself. It’s kinda nice, to have an enemy like this.

Kaname, for her part, turned over and faced the wall, thoughtful and uneasy in the sudden silence.

Onwards to Part 8


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction