Astraea Lake (part 54 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 53 Untitled Document

“I remember now. This is why I like hanging around with you guys.” Amiki cocked her head, smirking slightly. “You’re a real life, walking soap opera. Is Momomi cheating on Kaname with the school idol? Find out next week on Astraea Hill!”

“Oh, please. That was spontaneous action on her part, and platonic as well. There’s nothing between us!”

“More importantly, I didn’t even know there was anything for Kiyashiki-san to cheat on,” Shion remarked, smiling.

“Well, that too.” Momomi folded her arms. “But do these two care? They’ll say anything they like, just for the hell of it.”

“Well, sometimes I wonder, but you two always let me down,” Amiki remarked, closing her eyes and shrugging. “Kaname’s hyper-possessive personality is something, though.”

“I’d just like to clarify that we aren’t here for your entertainment,” Momomi retorted. “And, if it comes to that, why don’t you two do anything interesting? You’re in the same position as us, after all.”

“We’ve said what needs to be said,” Olesa replied.

“Implying we haven’t?” Momomi sighed. “We’re much the same, and that’s the way it is. That’s all there is. The problem is people like you who keep looking out for a more theatrical ending…”

“Whatever. If that helps you sleep at night.” Amiki glanced at her. “But tell me, how are your study dates going?”

“Study dates? We’re working very hard towards the scholarship exams, you know!”

“Of course. Together.”

“Oh, come on.” Momomi rolled her eyes. “So if any two people work on something together, that’s automatically a date, is it?”

“No, not that.” Amiki gave her a casual look. “But if you two work on something together, it is automatically a date. That’s how you act.”

“What are you talking about?”

“If you don’t know, more fool you. Am I wrong, Tomori-senpai?”

“I don’t like to take sides,” Shion replied innocently. “But she does have a point, Kiyashiki-san. You two always have a good atmosphere.”

“Oh, come on. I’m thick-skinned but you lot are trying to piss me off now! Just shut up!” Momomi glowered, then glanced at Kaname for moral support. Unfortunately, the girl was trapped in a reverie. “Honestly,” she muttered, looking away.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” Amiki replied. “But still, that’s just how it appears to people. It’s not like we’re the only ones thinking this way.”

“Which is why the whole school, more or less, has taken this to be a love rivalry between Kenjou-kun and Ohtori-san over Kiyashiki-san.” Shion laughed. “That’s the wonderful thing about rumours, it doesn’t have to relate to reality.”

“That’s not wonderful, that’s just bloody annoying,” Momomi muttered.

Shion smiled. “Of course, they also say that there’s no smoke without fire.”

“Shut up.”

“We’d better begin. We’ll be spending some time together again, under various circumstances, after all.” Olesa walked away in the direction of the cupboard, followed by the others. Except for Shion, of course, who merely sat on one of the benches and watched with an indulgent smile on her face.

“In any case, how is the intelligence gathering on Amane going?” Amiki asked. “Hmm… intelligence gathering… now there’s a euphemism in the making. I was gathering intelligence on Amane’s topography… something like that?”

“Shut up.” Momomi rolled her eyes. “She’s still bloody confusing and spontaneous. Basically, she likes forcing the conversation one way or the other in order to get me to say things, but if I try and do that to her she simply won’t answer my questions. That’s a little unfair, to say the least.”

“Well, at least she’s showing an interest in you.” Amiki passed Olesa a bucket and mop. “If she was really bored with you, she wouldn’t bother.”

“Under the circumstances, that’s of limited consolation,” Momomi complained. “Besides, I’m almost sure she’s been put up to this by a certain someone.”

Olesa shouldered her mop. “If you mean me, I’ve made her aware of the situation between you two as I understand it. That’s all.”

“Really?”

“Of course.”

“Hmm.” Momomi gave her a suspicious glare, then turned away and headed for the fountain. “Well, whatever. It’s still very annoying of her. Come to that, can’t you just ask Olesa? She knows more than me, I do know that.”

“It’s more interesting when I ask you, you know,” Amiki replied. “Besides, not even Olesa knows a lot about Amane.”

Olesa nodded briefly. “I talk to her. No more. I’m not the one who said so proudly that she’d unravel all the secrets of the ice prince.”

“Yeah, well, I’m starting to wonder whether even Amane knows who Amane is,” Momomi retorted. “She’s chaotic, to say the least. But I’ve still learned a few things. For a start, she shares your flair for deadpan humour.”

“I’m always serious.”

“See? Things like that are exactly what I mean.”

Olesa just shrugged and stepped ahead, beginning to fill her bucket. Momomi glanced behind her and frowned at Kaname, who looked far away again. She hadn’t said a thing in the longest time, and it was starting to get worrying. “Hey, are you alright? You look a little broody.”

“I’m fine,” Kaname remarked absently.

“Oh-ho. That’s bad news, Momomi.” Amiki looked back over her shoulder as she filled her own buckets. “Looks like she wasn’t happy with you kissing her rival.”

“I didn’t kiss anyone. If you’re going to spin rumours, at least get some of the facts right.”

“Hardly the point. Well, its not that’s a good reason for her to resent you anyway, under the circumstances. But Kenjou’s like that.”

“Whatever,” Kaname retorted. “I’m fine. Talking to you guys would be a waste of my time anyway.”

“Well, excuse me,” Amiki said. “But that’s okay. I can appreciate that you’re lovesick, so feel free to take your time.”

“Shut up. You’re annoying.”

Momomi frowned. As Kaname’s retorts go, that was on the weak side. But I thought we’d sorted everything out in lunchtime.

Kaname glanced at her for a moment, then looked away.

Amiki closed her eyes and rubbed her head impatiently. “My, my. Looks like the truth hurts. Oh, well. Have it your way.”

“Can you two give it a rest for a moment?” Momomi asked. “It’s like you’re both pushing an agenda, and it’s getting annoying.”

“Yes, well, that hasn’t unduly affected Kaname’s robust personality,” Amiki remarked. “Until now, that is.”

“Let’s leave it here for now,” Olesa stated.

“Okay.”

Momomi walked back to the Church, feeling uncomfortable. If Olesa’s the one calling a cease-fire, you know something is wrong. She glanced worriedly at Kaname, only to find the girl looking at her. But she turned away instantly, embarrassed. Momomi sighed. Well, now I know what’s even worse than her yelling at me for no real reason. Her walking around in a funk without saying anything. Just my luck, isn’t it? I explained, already! “So, the same as usual?”

“Of course,” Olesa replied. They both got to work, wetting their mops and washing the floor.

Momomi lost herself in the simple motions for a few moments, marvelling at how much they’d both improved. “You know… after several weeks of this, we can pass ourselves off as almost normal at cleaning things. I just noticed that.”

“One part of a commoner’s life down, only several hundred more to go,” Amiki remarked. “I don’t want to blunt your enthusiasm, but you still have some way to go.”

“Well, be fair. As far as I can tell, even normal girls my age are pretty hopeless,” Momomi replied. “So don’t expect too much of us.”

“Yes, well, that’s a matter of an age gap.” Amiki wetted her mop again, wringing out the dirt. “This time even thirty years ago, I’m sure things would have been different. But parents are more indulgent.”

“You should be careful, Rivera-san,” Shion warned. “You’re starting to sound like one of the Sisters.”

“Well, it looks that way to me. It seems like kids my age do a lot less work than they used to. I mean, don’t get me wrong. I tank rush with the rest of my generation and spam forums all I like, but it still annoys me how carefree people are now. It’s not practical.”

“On tank rushing and forum spamming… well, speak for yourself,” Momomi observed. “But you hardly have a balanced pool of data. This is a boarding school for the hyper-rich. Of course we’re all like that.”

“I suppose so,” Amiki admitted. “But still, more than just here, that’s the impression I get from this age. Perhaps I’m wrong.”

“Well, there’s one thing you’re forgetting,” Shion replied.

“Oh? What’s that, then?”

“Rising divorce rates. The children of broken families have to do more chores, so this generation is probably even more practical at their age than any for a few decades.” Shion smiled. “Just my guess. But I’m sure there’s something in it.”

“I’m surrounded by such positive people,” Momomi grumbled. She glanced at Kaname, but her friend wasn’t really paying any attention at all. That made her lips tighten with worry. Honestly, this is the kind of topic she’d normally eat up. She loves bashing us rich kids. What the hell is up with her?

“Let’s leave destructive cynicism to the half-dead, shall we?” Olesa remarked. “It’s their prerogative.”

Momomi chuckled. “Well, that’s nice of you. Didn’t anyone tell you to respect your elders?”

Olesa just shrugged. “I respect those who deserve it. Not those who feel entitled.”

“As expected of an egotist like you.”

“Hey, hey,” Amiki interrupted. “Are you telling us that you’re any different?”

Momomi smiled. “Not really, I suppose. But still, you could be more polite.”

“It doesn’t really matter, does it?” Amiki asked.

“No. I suppose not.”

“That’s another good one,” Shion remarked. “My father’s very hot on age discrimination. And when I say that, I mean he wants to be able to hire and fire who he damn well pleases. In his words, age isn’t like religion, it will affect your work.”

“Free market capitalism at its finest.” Momomi rolled her eyes. “Such a loving thing.”

“Well, we have to be practical. But to be honest, I suspect my father’s bold ideological stand is mostly because he likes seeing fresh faces around the office and firing people before they can ask for too many pay rises.”

“So that’s where you get your ruthless streak,” Amiki observed.

“In any case, that’s about your father,” Momomi commented. “What do you think?”

Shion shrugged. “Well, I’m not keen on discrimination against the young, but I don’t mind discrimination against the old. If I become an experienced employee I’ll be against it outright. If I become an employer I’ll sound more like my father. Issues like this are impossible to separate from cold pragmatism, if you ask me.”

Momomi sighed. “The concept of idealism and morality are completely lost on you, aren’t they?”

“Those are just retrospective justifications, if you ask me,” Shion said. “As far as I’m concerned, most people really think like me. I’m just more honest. Just examine the existence of class-based voting.”

“I’m not one of them myself, but people do have principles, you know.” Momomi gave her friend yet another worried look. She looks so absent…“You can’t ignore that just because it’s cool to be cynical.”

Shion shrugged and smiled. “I hope you’re right, Kiyashiki-san. But really, none of us know much about the world. We’re just guessing with confidence.”

“In any case, you know what gets me?” Momomi asked, speaking a little louder than was strictly necessary. “Discrimination based on sexuality. I mean, what the hell does that have to do with how good a worker you’ll be?”

“Precisely none,” Shion agreed.

“But Japanese law doesn’t address that at all!” Momomi snapped. “On the contrary, it isn’t talked about at all. Italy isn’t much better, but attitudes are different. And we’re the happy hosts of the Roman Catholic Church, who believe in armour-piercing sperm and the importance of choking Africa to death with excessive population growth!”

“Not so loud, please,” Amiki remarked. “This is a Catholic school.”

“You’re as irreverent as Kenjou-kun,” Shion observed. “But your research is good, if nothing else.”

“She cares about these things.” Kaname was looking elsewhere, but at least she’d spoken.

Momomi nodded. “Well, of course I do. And that’s not just a matter of pragmatic self-interest, either. It makes me so mad; to think that I’ll grow up persecuted if I express who I am. That’s why I’m glad this school, at least, is a bastion of sensible morality.”

“For once, you have a point,” Amiki commented. “However, people won’t change even if we wish them too. Once you’re out of here, you should probably keep our head down.”

“I hate that kind of attitude.” Momomi folded her arms. “If everyone does that, nothing will ever change, you know. We have to be proactive.”

“Perhaps, but you don’t want to starve, do you?” Amiki replied bluntly. “The way I see it, you can fight young and suffer, or play quietly until you’re important enough to be safer. Isn’t that just sensible?”

“Sensible, yes, but I shouldn’t have to do that,” Momomi retorted. “If I start thinking and acting like that, it’s an acknowledgement of their false position in the first place.”

“This must be what idealism looks like,” Shion murmured.

“You can say that while you’re here, but you do have to be practical,” Amiki observed. “Or, hell, move if it bothers you so much. Go to the UK or somewhere like that, it’s not like you’ll have language problems.”

“That’s not the point.” Momomi folded her arms. “As far as I’m concerned, this country is my home country now. I’ll do it here.”

“You aren’t very realistic, are you?” Amiki rolled her eyes. “Words are easier than actions, you know.”

But Olesa glanced at her thoughtfully, for the first time in a while. “Don’t compromise, fight and take everything… that’s what you’re referring to, isn’t it?”

“Right.” Momomi nodded. “Maybe that’s stupid, but it’s how I want to live my life. I don’t want to be in some London suburb wondering whether I’d have become accustomed to sushi if I’d kept at it. And I don’t want to be with a cushy job and a nice apartment here, wondering whether I could have done so much more. I won’t compromise, I’ll… well, I’ll be myself.”

“Those are the words of the daughter who rebelled against her father.” Shion closed her eyes. “They’re a little inspiring, actually.”

“And a little disturbing.” Kaname looked at Momomi, smiling slightly. “Someone who takes everything at any cost can trample over others, can’t they? Idealists are willing to sacrifice people for the cause.”

“Well, I’m not a terrorist or anything,” Momomi replied. “Don’t make me sound too evil. I’m just… intense, that’s all.”

“It’s alright.” Kaname turned away again. “I like that about you.”

Momomi blinked. “Well… good.”

Amiki rolled her eyes. “Hate to interrupt the love-fest, but we still have a Church to clean.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Momomi snorted cynically. “You were taking part until two seconds ago, so it’s not like you can talk.”

Shion closed her eyes. “It’s an interesting subject, though. Kiyashiki-san is an unconditional idealist. Rivera-san is a pragmatist. How about you two?”

Olesa closed her eyes. “I’ll do whatever’s necessary to achieve what I want to achieve. I’ve always been that way.”

“Tch. As calculating as ever,” Momomi complained. “And people say I’m manipulative. I don’t manipulate myself, at least.”

“You do, more often than you’d think. But I hadn’t finished.” Olesa glanced at her. “But more recently, I’m beginning to understand that I have to live for myself as well. And that includes being able to live with myself.”

Shion nodded. “That’s a fairly balanced approach. And you, Kenjou-kun?”

Kaname snorted. “I’ll do whatever makes sense to me at the time. Do you need anything more?”

Shion chuckled. “No, I suppose not.”

“And you?” Momomi asked.

“Me?” Shion smiled innocently. “Oh, my principle is enlightened self-interest.”

Momomi made a face. “Great. Whatever that entails…”

Eventually, untidily and as noisily as the Spica Debating Society’s rowdier moments, they managed to finish cleaning the Church for a day. Kaname started to join in again but she still drifted off at abrupt intervals, looking past them and letting their conversation wash over her. That worried Momomi, but still. If Kaname wasn’t happy about something, Kaname would tell you. Most likely she needed some time to think, something Momomi was familiar with. It wasn’t like she’d chosen to be together with them all right now, after all. At least she’d shown up. Best to sit her out rather than worrying too much, probably. So she looked away and tried to put her friend out of mind, but still it gnawed at her nerves. Honestly, what have I done now? She’s so troublesome sometimes…

“In any case, Kenjou, let’s go,” Amiki remarked. “I’ll kick your ass again today. Or more likely, watch Kariya drill you. Hurry up and get better, already. I need to put you in your place.”

“I can’t go today,” Kaname replied absently. “I’ve got something to take care of.”

“What? Something?” Amiki groaned. “You’d better not be chickening out on me, Kenjou. I still owe you.”

“Just for tonight. Tell Kariya for me.”

“Tell her yourself. She’s dedicated and expects everyone else in the club to be dedicated. She won’t teach anyone who doesn’t make the evening meet on a regular basis, you know.”

“Well, I’ve been commandeered by her lover-girl to take care of something or other,” Kaname explained, sticking her hands in her pockets. “It’s not like I’m happy about this, either, you know. But it’s not like I have a choice.”

Amiki rolled her eyes. “Fine. Whatever. But what does Serané want with you anyway? Is she telling you off again?”

“Nope. I just need to help her in the greenhouse. That’s all.”

“Hmm… but doesn’t she have sixth years for that?” Amiki frowned. “So why you? I bet you don’t know one side of the trowel from another.”

“I do,” Kaname retorted. “You stab people with the pointy end.”

“For what it’s worth, my suspicion is that Serané-sama has come up with a pretext for a discreet lecture,” Shion observed. “It’s how she operates. As opposed to Kariya-sama, who does not place much stock in discretion, especially in matters of discipline.”

“Of course, now that you know, it won’t exactly be a discreet matter for much longer, now will it?” Momomi noted.

“Now, Kiyashiki-san. Information is power, you know. And like power, it’s not smart to spread it around without careful consideration.”

“In any case, that explains everything.” Amiki smirked. “Well, enjoy that. I’ll be sparring away happily.”

“Whatever.” Kaname closed her eyes and walked away. “I’ll see you guys later. Oh, that reminds me… Momomi, can you meet me by the lake after you’ve done your think with Olesa?”

“The lake?” Momomi’s brow wrinkled. “Why not our room?”

“Just trust me. It has to be the lake.” Kaname walked off without another word.

Amiki smirked some more, then turned away. “That girl… I won’t get to pummel her for today, now will I? Well, see you two around. Later, Olesa.”

“I’d better take my leave as well.” Shion bowed her head briefly. “Good luck, Kiyashiki-san.”

Momomi stared after her. “Good luck?”

“Presumably she has no faith in our scriptwriting abilities,” Olesa observed.

Momomi was silent for a few moments as they walked towards the library, frowning and deep in thought. Then she spoke again. “Just what was all that about?”

“Something between you and Kenjou.” Olesa shrugged in complete indifference. “Nothing relevant to me.”

“Honestly, you could be more considerate, you know.” Momomi pouted. “This is the sort of thing friends discuss, you know. She’s been acting oddly recently and it’s starting to worry me.”

“I wouldn’t waste too much effort on worrying. Kenjou is a robust personality. Besides, it sounds like if there’s anything she is worried about, she has it well in hand.”

“You’re right.” Momomi frowned. “I suppose that’s it, too. She probably has something more to say about the Amane thing. Though why it has to be the lake, I’ve got no idea…”

“Perhaps she intends to propose a watersports club,” Olesa suggested, with just a hint of irony.

“Don’t say that, you’ll make it so. That’s hardly out of character for her.” Momomi frowned. “Actually, that’s not even such a bad idea. We have a huge, beautiful lake but we don’t make good use of it at all. It just sits there looking pretty. Getting some activities on there would be a good plan.”

“I suppose rowing and so on are considered men’s sports.” Olesa closed her eyes. “Our football and rugby teams, for example, are hardly proactive. But everything elegant, from archery to tea ceremony, is practised here.”

“That would annoy Kaname as well. All the more reason to change things, she’d say, or something like that. But it’s not like there’s no precedent.” Momomi shrugged. “Kendo, for example. Running at people with a sword is hardly ladylike.”

“Actually, it is somewhat consistent to the tradition of the female samurai aristocracy of ages gone by,” Olesa said. “Kariya and her like spring from there, in some cases, or at the very least pretend to that heritage.”

“Well, I know. If you’re going to get technical, the tanto and the naginata were more common women’s arms.”

“Of course. Kariya prefers the sword, though. Certainly, kendo has a larger pool of support here than many other clubs, but much of that is based on Kariya’s preference and skill. It makes others desire to be involved.” Olesa looked out over the forest. “That may well end when she leaves.”

“You have a point. But still, that proves in itself we can do male-dominated sports if it’s cool to do so.” Momomi frowned. “Wait, why are we talking about this? This doesn’t have anything to do with anything!”

Olesa just chuckled softly. “You do have a short attention span. That’s not my fault.”

Momomi puffed out her cheeks exaggeratedly and said nothing. It’s fun to act like a child around Olesa. If only Amane did that with Kaname, my life would be a lot easier. Somehow, though, I think you’d have to pay Amane before she pouted. Well, not even that. It’s not like she needs the money.

They entered the oppressive silence of the library, picking their way through the shelves. Of course, when she said oppressive silence, she meant it was mostly that. You could generally see and hear a couple making out if you walked around for long enough, but that wasn’t relevant. Dismissing her flippant thoughts, Momomi sat opposite Olesa and searched through her bag for what she’d done so far. “So we’ll carry on from where we left off?”

Olesa just nodded. She watched as Momomi placed her books on the table, then got to work in silence. They stayed like that for a few minutes, highlighting bits of text, checking words in the dictionary and saying nothing but clipped questions and answers. But after a while, Momomi noticed that her companion had stopped writing and was tapping her pen against the desk. “What’s up? Stuck with a word?”

Olesa just shook her head.

“Whatever.” Momomi shrugged and got back to work, then spotted Olesa looking at her absently. This has been a bad day for that. “What’s up now?”

Olesa frowned, looking uncertain for a moment, then put her pen down. “Can I ask you a personal question, Kiyashiki-san?”

Momomi frowned. “Of course. You know all about me anyway.”

“Who’s the most important person in the world to you?”

Momomi blinked. “What brought this on?”

“I’ve been thinking.”

As if that’s an answer…Momomi sighed. “You don’t make things easy for me, do you?” She closed her eyes for a moment, thinking. Well, I hate my father, Araldo’s okay, I dislike my mother at times and like her in others, I like my sister, and then…well…”Probably Kaname. Though if I say that, it makes me sound like a failure of a child.”

Olesa shook her head. “The love between two equals is stronger than family. Many western societies, at least, work along those lines. It isn’t unusual.”

“Yeah, well, I’m thirteen and she doesn’t even like me back. That makes me feel rather less noble. I suspect I’m just being an over-dramatic teenager.”

“No. I understand.”

Momomi frowned. “But still… well, don’t tell anyone I said that. Least of all her. It’s embarrassing.”

“She already knows, I think. And she thinks the same thing about you.”

Momomi blushed and decided to change the subject. “Whatever. But why did you ask all of a sudden? There must have been a reason, right?”

Olesa shook her head awkwardly. “It was just a point of curiosity. That’s all.”

Momomi leaned forwards. “The hell it was. Come on, tell me… no, wait. Who is your most important person?”

To her surprise, Olesa blushed deeply and said nothing.

“Aha.” Momomi leaned back again, smirking. “So that’s what this is about.”

Olesa looked down at the table, fingers tracing little circles on the desk. “Don’t get any funny ideas. It’s just something I’ve been thinking about. But for someone like me, my raison d’être is my mother. There isn’t any doubt about that.”

“Hmm. I wonder… is a raison d’être the same thing as a most important person?” Momomi smiled when her friend’s eyes flickered uncertainly. “Well, I’m just thinking out loud. But it sounds to me like things would be pretty awkward, if the two weren’t one and the same. That’s the sort of dilemma that makes you question your path in life.”

“Some things may be transient, and some things are life goals,” Olesa replied, looking down at her play. “The two are completely separate.” Her eyes weren’t moving.

“Well, it could be argued that if they are different, that’s indication that you need to rethink your path. It’s not like you need to be wedded to a single goal forever.”

“Someone like that would be a very fickle person.” Olesa’s voice was quiet.

“But I’m not someone who’d make that argument. It’s too complicated.” Momomi smiled. “Take everything, want for nothing. But just because you have something to achieve at the end of the day, that doesn’t preclude you from enjoying your life day by day.”

Olesa frowned. “It’d be irresponsible to become distracted and forget what you have to do. I hate people like that.”

“Of course. But you can still do both. Hell, having a good source of relaxation and fulfilment will help you with any goal.” Momomi smirked. “That’s what I think, anyway.”

“And what happens when they contradict each other?” Olesa asked, looking at her. “Suppose that for the sake of the reason to live you have to leave here. But you know that your important person wants to stay here.”

Momomi frowned. “That’s a different question. But I’d ask first, which does the person want do? The one in-between. Her opinions are important too.”

“I’d disagree on that, but never mind.” Olesa closed her eyes. “She wants to stay, but she also wants to go. Because she knows her mother is unhappy when she’s here, but her friend is happy here. And she herself would miss either, whichever she chose.”

“That’s a tough choice, but it isn’t one I can be expected to answer.” Momomi folded her arms. “If you ask me, she’s taking herself too seriously. She should talk to the mother and… friend, so you say, and explain the situation. Let them decide. She shouldn’t take it upon herself to determine things on her own.”

Olesa smiled. “She’s been doing that for a very long time, you know. She’s very used to it.”

“The problem is that if the two are good to her, they’ll let her decide anyway. But that’s not the point. She should still ask them first. Then she can decide.”

Olesa laughed. “How… paradoxical. But I do take your point.”

“There’s one thing I don’t understand. Why now?”

“Before, I used to think that for everything gained, something must be lost. I used to believe that sacrificing my mother’s feelings was necessary for my mother’s greater good.” Olesa sighed. “Your shounen hero ideals has made my life a lot more complicated.”

Momomi blinked. “My what what?”

“Don’t worry. Something Amane told me about. On top of that, you’ve given us… never mind. Something important.” Olesa stretched. “I don’t even know why I’m mentioning this to you anyway. Its not like you can tell me the answer, I know everything about this and I’m as smart as you and I’m not sure of the right decision to make.”

She’s really opened up, for once. The old Olesa would sooner spit in my eye than confide in me…Momomi smiled gently. “Sometimes people need to think aloud with someone standing near them.”

“Right. Well, I’ll bear that in mind the next time you’re in a hissy fit over Kaname.” Olesa closed her eyes again. “In any case. Shall we carry on?”

“Sure,” Momomi replied. She knew when it’d be stupid to push her luck.

As she’d expected, Olesa had rapidly retreated into her shell again, and business had returned to normal. But they’d worked productively and well together, finishing the first act with a couple of minutes to spare. Momomi nodded and set her pen aside. “Well, that’ll do for now, won’t it?”

“Of course.” Olesa didn’t look up; it was like she was being even colder than usual to compensate for the thaw.

Momomi started to return her books to her bag. “In any case, I’d better get going, if I’m going to make that random meeting with Kaname. I hope she survived an hour with Serané…”

Olesa just nodded vaguely, returning her own books to her bag.

Momomi snorted and stood, brushing herself off and turning away. “See you later.”

“If I was you, I’d turn up five minutes late.”

Momomi stopped and frowned. “What? Why?”

“Punishment.”

Momomi snorted and rolled her eyes. “Yeah, that’s very convincing…”

“There’s a form, you know. Social expectations should be fulfilled, and a man should wait.”

Momomi walked off without another word, shaking her head at Olesa’s madness. She stayed like that until she was halfway down the path to the library, when something clicked in her head. Then she panicked.

Onwards to Part 55


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction