Astraea Lake (part 51 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 50 Untitled Document

And now Momomi is being troublingly introspective. Someone should tell these two to stop thinking so much...


Momomi stepped into the stables, and was surprised to see Amane waiting there. “Good morning.”

“Good morning.” Amane glanced at her. “You’re late.”

“Sorry. I got caught up in something on the way here.”

“Ah. With Kenjou?”

“Pretty much,” Momomi replied, shrugging off her blazer and swapping it for a riding jacket. “But not so much a row this time. Just me making sure she isn’t being too stupid, pretty much.”

“Ah.” Amane closed her eyes for a moment, pulling something out of her jacket pocket. A long red ribbon. “Use this.”

“Sorry?”

“It’s better than using your necktie.”

“Oh. I see.” Momomi blinked. “Is this a present, or something?”

“Yes, but not from me.” Amane looked distracted for a moment. “It was a first year’s idea… what’s her name… mousy brown hair, glasses… in any case, she saw you yesterday, and gave me this in the evening, to give to you.”

Momomi took the ribbon, frowning at it. “Why?”

“I’m not sure. Probably to get me to accept a present, even indirectly.” Amane frowned. “She’s smart and bold, that one.” She sounded vaguely offended by those facts.

Momomi gave her a cunning look. “Do you like her?”

Amane just shook her head, then went to ease Starbright out of his stall.

Momomi opened her own door and lead out Sol, who had already been prepared. “Do you get a lot of presents, then?”

Amane nodded again.

“That must be pretty good. I wish I got random people to give me presents… now that’s what I call a talent.”

“It’s annoying. I can’t accept any of them.”

“Because you can’t show any interest in them? That’s so harsh.” Momomi frowned. “Couldn’t you at least feign one, every once in a while? Hope’s a wonderful thing.”

“I could do that.”

Momomi scratched her cheek. “Is that my job? You can tell me, I won’t be offended.”

“Nope.”

“Hmm…” Momomi shrugged, trying her hair up with the ribbon. “But that girl must be pretty smart, if she saw me, found this and gave it to you all in one day. That’s some serious dedication. You have amazing fans.”

“Ah.”

“Hardly seems fair, really.”

Amane shrugged. “I don’t understand them at all.”

Before Momomi could reply, the blue-haired girl mounted her horse and rode out. Momomi sighed and followed, keeping a careful grip on Sol’s reigns. Even if she could manage trotting around, she wouldn’t like to go faster than that. Forget the jumps Amane practised…

“How was Kenjou?”

Momomi looked up. She’s surprisingly talkative today. “She skipped breakfast. That was irresponsible of her. Apparently, she took a walk in the morning and lost track of time. I’m not sure whether I’m supposed to believe that or not, but it’s fine, I suppose.”

“Ah.”

“She was a little pale, actually. And of course she has to skip the chance to eat now, thanks to her damn stubbornness… there’s no helping that girl sometimes, you know? It’s very frustrating.”

Amane nodded. “I see.”

Oh, come on. You’re the one who brought it up! “Well, it can’t be helped. Kaname is Kaname.”

“And how are things between you?”

Momomi frowned. “She’s still… well, she isn’t happy that I’m spending time with you, still. She’s very possessive like that.”

“That must be troublesome for you.”

“It is, I suppose.” Momomi sighed. “But like I said to her, at least I know she cares.”

“Ah.”

“Even if that’s only as a friend, that’s better than nothing, I suppose. I should thank you.”

“No need,” Amane replied vaguely. “Anything else?”

Momomi decided not to mention Kaname’s little theory. That would just embarrass me. “She was being Kaname, basically. It’s not like there’s been any permanent damage to our relationship, so you don’t have to worry, if that’s what it is.”

“Ah.”

Momomi looked around, noting that there were a few more people watching than yesterday. It was strange for her, to be watched like that, but she could pull it off. She was a Phareli, after all. While there were times when she hated that fact, it did mean she’d become accustomed to the fact that the world could- perhaps should- revolve around her. All those maids, after all. I’m sure they’re present for the sense of power and control they bring as much as their actual services. Maybe I’m wrong. Momomi sighed, remembering what Shion had set her to do and working out how to go about it. “But you know, my days are suddenly very timetabled.”

“Oh?”

“I see you in the mornings, lessons, you again, lessons, then at lunchtime I go off with Kaname and study for the scholarship exams.”

“Why?”

“Well, with my parents… things are awkward, to say the least. But you probably know that already.”

“Ah.”

“As far as I’m concerned, I don’t want to depend on them at all. But such grand things aren’t possible for a girl as young as me, now are they?” Momomi shrugged. “So I just do what I can.”

“What would you do for university, like that?”

Momomi shifted uncomfortably. “I’m not sure, really. I guess I’d have to work as much as possible.”

“Reconciliation would be useful.”

“Useful, perhaps. I’m not sure about possible. My father, and I… our personal differences are pretty huge.” Momomi frowned. “Well, it’s not like you want to hear about this. I’m sorry. I shouldn’t burden you with my problems.”

“It’s fine,” Amane replied loosely. “I may end up like that eventually, after all.”

“Really? Well, I suppose so…”

“But, even then, my father would not enjoy hating me. Even if that became necessary.”

“I like to think that about him, but sometimes it’s hard to tell.” Momomi glanced at the other rider, deciding she’d given enough away for now. “So, how about you? What’s your relationship with your parents like?”

“Ah.” Amane shrugged. “Reasonable. Better with my mother. To the head of the family, I am sufficient for my role. That’s all.”

“You? Merely sufficient? You must have hellish standards in your family…”

“We do.”

“Well, in any case… I’ve lost my thread. That’s right. And then I have lessons, and after that I go clean the Church with Kaname, Amiki and Olesa. Our punishment, you see. After that, Kaname goes and hits people with wooden swords or whatever it is they do in kendo, and I have to translate Shakespeare into Japanese. Oh, and did I mention I’m working with Olesa, who argues with me on about every single point?”

Amane obligingly raised her eyebrows slightly. “Shakespeare? Is that another punishment?”

Momomi giggled, but only a little. As ever, Amane had been completely deadpan. You can tell why Olesa and her get on so well. They probably practise their poker faces together. Actually, they probably practise playing poker together…”Not exactly,” she managed. “We set to work by Shion… Tomori-senpai. She wants us to translate Twelfth Night for a Spica lower school performance.”

“Ah.” Amane gave her a cautious look.

As ever, she’s smart. “But honestly, it’s a bother. I barely have any time for homework any more.”

“Why did you accept?”

Payment for services rendered. “Well, even if I’m moaning, the project is interesting. And she is a friend of mine, so I’m doing her a favour, too.”

“Ah.”

“I still find it… ironic, that neither of the two translators are actually native-born Japanese speakers. Well, my mother taught me, but it’s not like I ever used it much. And with Olesa, well, I don’t even know.”

“You’re both linguistically exceptional. It makes sense.”

“Well, I wouldn’t go that far… but you would know about Olesa, wouldn’t you?”

Amane nodded. “She’s talked about it. A little.”

“What did she say?”

“Why?”

“Just curious. Oh, well. It’s not important.” Momomi looked at their audience again. “But I’m not sure whether or not to be glad that she’s helping me. I’m sure we don’t even save time because we argue over every point, but I suppose that makes for a better final product. I never knew how hard this interpretation stuff was until I tried it…”

“Momomi.”

Momomi blinked and looked back, giving Amane a puzzled look. “Yes?”

“I don’t understand. Why Kenjou?”

“In what sense?”

“Why do you like Kenjou? Out of everything I’ve heard about you, it’s the one thing I don’t understand.”

“Well, that’s a pretty general question, isn’t it?” Momomi smiled wistfully. “It’s not like I even know myself, you know. I didn’t exactly choose to fall in love with my best friend…”

“Oh?” Amane frowned. “As I’d expected, love is a difficult concept.”

“Well, love’s a strong word,” Momomi murmured. “This might be a crush or something, I don’t really know what each feels like…”

“That’s not the point. Kenjou is… I don’t know.” Amane frowned. “I do not understand Kenjou.”

“You don’t understand a lot of things, apparently,” Momomi remarked lightly.

Amane looked around the paddock thoughtfully. “Of course. But while Kenjou may be an interesting person, her outwards posture is hostile to all, so very few people ever know what she is like. In that sense, I find it… strange, that she should find my own isolationistic mindset so offensive.”

“I think you’re over-analysing these things. Kaname’s attitude to you, and my feelings for her. Neither of them are things you need to worry about or take too seriously.”

“Together they have quite the impact on your behaviour, and hers,” Amane observed. “So I’d like to understand, if nothing else.”

“Well, why I like Kaname… I’m not sure where to start, really.” Momomi spotted her friend, leaning against a tree in the distance, but that short blue hair was unmistakable. “Well, that’s one thing, I suppose. She’s always so guarded, always trying to be so cool, so that if you can see through her attitudes and pouts it’s actually really endearing. When she’s leaning against the tree and folding her arms like that, it actually shows her vulnerability. Even someone like her has that side of her, and she’s more sensitive than most in many things. But she doesn’t want to show that. She’s… complex.”

Amane frowned. “I’m not sure I follow. But perhaps that’s the point.”

“Well, yeah. That was kinda embarrassing.” Momomi smiled slightly. “It’s not something to think too much about. It’s just her qualities that make her good to me or for me, not necessarily a good person.”

Amane frowned. “You are strange people.”

Momomi laughed. “Didn’t we have that conversation yesterday, as well?”

“Ah.”

Momomi waved at Kaname, smirking as the girl turned away. She probably doesn’t even want me to catch her looking at me. “Well, I like her. Even if it’s a problem.”

“What are your intentions with her? Do you still have hopes?”

“Not really. That would just be foolish. I don’t went to press and wreak our friendship, or hope and wreak my nerves. This is the way things are.” Momomi shrugged. “I’m mature enough to deal with the hand I’m dealt with.”

“You’re here.”

Momomi winced. “Well, yeah, but its not intentionally to make her jealous. I just need to leave a little space, and also… well… teach her that I can’t be with her all the time.”

“I wonder.”

“You wonder what?” Momomi challenged. “There’s nothing to wonder about, you know.”

“If it was just for that, anyone would do. I’m someone who would naturally incense Kenjou and make her jealous. That’s why you’re using me.”

Momomi frowned. “Well, you’re useful for other things too, you know. Your popularity, for a start. Besides, you’re also a little interesting in your own right.”

Amane made a noise that might have been a chuckle. “That’s not why.”

“You sound very certain.”

“I am certain.”

“How?”

Amane shrugged. “You are someone who is too proud and independent, and too interested in Kaname. That’s all.”

“You make me sound very scrupulous and obsessive. I’m a little more than those stereotypes, you know.”

“Ah.” Amane shrugged. “Regardless. Consciously or not, I do not think that you accept things as you are.”

“Well, that’s fine,” Momomi replied. Her cheeks were flushing slightly, so she shook herself. “But I disagree with you.”

“If that’s the case, what would you do, if another girl approached you romantically?”

Momomi blinked. Damn, she really is different from before. I suppose she thinks she’s entitled to this messed-up psychoanalysis. “Well, that would depend, wouldn’t it?” she replied. “There isn’t anyone else I’m interested in, right now.”

“Ah. But if there was?”

Momomi shrugged. “Well, it’d feel a little… inappropriate, to go out with another girl this recently. I mean, I confessed to Kaname a few days ago. As she’d put it, that’d make me very fickle.”

“Perhaps, but if your feelings are there, isn’t that something she should accept?” Amane frowned. “I’ve never understood why being fickle is a weakness. Certainly, under these circumstances, they’re a strength.”

“Yeah, well, that doesn’t mean it’s something I can accept.” Momomi shifted uncomfortably. “I guess I don’t understand because I’m not in that situation, but it’s rather hard for me to imagine right now.”

“Ah.” Amane glanced at her. “Wouldn’t it be useful, though?”

“Useful?”

“She’s more jealous. You also prove your point and even gain some release from your difficulties.”

Momomi smirked. “Are you coming onto me?”

Amane glanced at her. “I’m toying with you, and seeing if anything interesting happens.” She blinked slowly and looked away. “That is how you would reply to such a question, is it not?”

Momomi stared for a moment, then shrugged and turned away. “Mainly to save my own ego, you mean.”

“You haven’t responded, though.”

“Well, even if you’re logically accurate, this isn’t something I can think about in those terms. If it was someone else, maybe, but this is Kaname… I swore long ago. I wouldn’t manipulate Kaname.” Momomi chuckled. “Unless it was really very necessary for me to do so, that is.”

“I see.”

Momomi cocked her head. “Why all the questions, anyway?”

Amane gave her an impassive look. “Why not?”

Momomi sighed loudly, rolling her eyes. “If you say so.”

“Impaired judgement is a problem.”

“Huh?”

Amane glanced at Kaname. “People make mistakes. Pride in its extreme means you do not admit to a mistake, and can be effective in that. But still, if Kenjou was wrong or if her feelings changed, her judgement would likely be impaired.”

“Even if you say that, I doubt even she’d screw up over this. It’s important, isn’t it?”

“It’s a complex matter.” Amane glanced at her. “How long did it take for you to realise your feelings?”

Momomi shifted. “You make it sound like they were there all along, but I don’t believe in that. They grew in me, and I grew into them… probably. I don’t believe in love at first sight.”

Amane nodded. “But by that same token, Kenjou may well grow into her feelings after you. That’s a possibility, isn’t it?”

“It’s hardly likely. She’s not even gay, you know.”

“So she says. People are not honest. How about her jealousy and possessiveness? Isn’t that a sign in itself?”

“Just of her idea of friendship.” Momomi folded her arms impatiently. “But none of that means she likes me after all. The world isn’t that convenient, and it just isn’t likely. I’m not going to hurt myself getting my hopes up.”

“That, too, is impaired judgement.” Amane reigned in Starbright, halting the horse, and looked at Momomi with challenging eyes. “You fear disappointment, so you do not consider the possibility of a positive outcome at all.”

Damn! She’s been leading me again, hasn’t she? Why does it always end like this? Momomi pouted. “Well, sorry to disappoint you, but just considering it doesn’t make it true. Whether I hope or not, she won’t like me as anything but a friend. Isn’t that settled already? Hanging around and praying that her feelings will change would make me a very fake friend.”

“A true friend should also be ready for the possibility that her feelings might change.”

“I am ready! That would be wonderful. But it won’t happen, that’s all.”

Amane nodded. “You had better get going again.” But this time she placed a hand on Sol’s bridle before Momomi could turn the horse away. Momomi blinked as Amane leant forwards, bringing herself next to her ear. Her next words were whispered softly. “Please consider the value of hope.”

Momomi’s eyes widened slightly. Then Amane turned and kissed her briefly on the cheek. She blushed furiously. “What the hell are you doing?”

Amane shrugged. “Isn’t that obvious?” She turned Starbright around and headed for the stables.

Momomi rode after her. “Isn’t that obvious? What kind of answer is that?”

Amane just shrugged.

“Damnit. Don’t do that again!”

“Why?”

“Because… well, I mean, why do it? You still haven’t me what the hell you’re playing at!”

Amane shrugged. “Just wondering. You’ve given up on Kenjou, have you not?”

Momomi rolled her eyes. “That doesn’t mean I want to go out with you, though.”

Amane dismounted and lead Starbright into the stables. “That wasn’t my intention.”

“Then what the hell was your intention?”

“I think you are overreacting.”

“Who the hell is overreacting?” Momomi demanded. “You just kissed me, damnit!”

“On the cheek.”

“So? What are people supposed to think?”

Amane just shrugged, helping Starbright into his stall and patting him gently on the neck.

Momomi growled, sliding off her force. “Well, even if you don’t care, I do! What did you do that for?”

Amane glanced at her. “To see how you would react.”

“What?”

The blue haired girl turned and stepped towards her, regarding her with intense eyes. Momomi instinctively stepped back, her back hitting the stable wall. “What are you doing?”

Amane stepped forwards again, placing one of her hands on the wall next to Momomi’s head. She moved closer still, staring into Momomi’s eyes.

Momomi’s mind entered terminal panic and then reacted. Somehow, her hand travelling to slap Amane changed into a fist, hitting the girl square on the right cheek. Too much time spent with Kaname… “Get away from me, damnit.”

Amane stepped back, touching a hand against her bruised cheek.

Then she laughed. “You’re very interesting, Phareli-san. I’m sure I’ve mentioned that to you before.”

Momomi stared back at a Amane who was plainly very amused. This is the most emotional and intense I’ve ever seen her…”You’re nuts,” she replied bluntly.

Amane just shrugged and smiled. “Perhaps. But that means I’m not an easy person to deal with, which befits me.”

“Is this your idea of revenge?”

“If my feelings were sincere, that would be very insulting.”

“They didn’t feel sincere. Not least because I can’t imagine you falling for someone anyway.”

Amane sighed. “If you say so. In any case, you react in interesting ways.”

Momomi tried to calm herself now. This is a game to her, you’ve been played. So at least retain some dignity. “You mean the hitting you thing? Or the rejecting you thing? I can’t imagine you’re very used to that.”

“The former. You’re in love with Kaname, after all.” Amane narrowed her eyes. “You haven’t given up, either.”

“Don’t state speculation about me as if it’s fact.”

“Ah.” Amane unbuttoned her riding jacket and carried on with her routine as if nothing happened.

“Why are you so calm?” Momomi demanded.

“I’m a calm person.”

Momomi rolled her eyes. “Why are you a calm person?”

“Because not much panics me.”

“Whatever. I give up. You’re just plain weird, you do know that, right?”

“So are you.” Amane shrugged her blazer on. “In any case, you can end our association if you like.”

“Somehow, I think that’d just be playing into your hands.”

“Does that bother you?”

“Of course.” Momomi folded her arms. “In any case, if you’d wanted to be rid of me, it would take a lot more than that. Nice try, though.”

Amane turned to hide what might have been a smile. “If that’s the case, you’d do well to go and assure Kenjou of the state of affairs. She may have been surprised.”

Momomi frowned. Oh, god. I forgot about that. Now there’s a potentially awkward encounter…”Was that your aim?”

“Am I going to tell you either way?”

“Probably not. You’re annoying like that.”

Amane shrugged. “We’re running late. You should go to your lessons.”

Momomi snorted and began to take off her riding jacket, watching as Amane walked out. Arrogant bitch…I wish she’d stop playing around, because this’ll mean hell for me. I’ll give her something, though. She’s dangerously good at surprising me.

Momomi was about to step outside the barn when she was abruptly hit by a vision of the future. Damn. I’d forgotten about the fangirls…well, Amane’s probably distracting them. I’ll need to move fast, though. I can’t deal with that right now. She turned and slipped out the back into the paddock again, clambering between the fence and quickly running for the forest. She managed to conceal herself behind a tree before she stopped and tried to work out what her next move was. Yeah, popularity is a good principle, but parts of it are inconvenient. This is one of them. I’m going to be unbelievably late for my next lesson. Imai-sensei will not be happy…I’d probably be even more late if I took the direct approach, though. I’ll have to take to the forest and loop round for a bit before heading for the school. Well, it’s not like I’ll get lost. I know this forest way too well by now. Momomi took off, jogging through the trees and breathing heavily. Her schoolbag bounced repeatedly against her leg. Out of breath already…as Kaname says so often, I’m really unfit. Perhaps I should take up a sport. Not right now, though. I don’t have the time, what with one thing and another. More importantly, though, Kaname is going to be so mad with me. Probably. When I actually think of it, she doesn’t have too much right to be mad with me. But she will be anyway, she’s that kind of friend. It’s going to be awkward in lunchtime, but at least we have to talk then. It’ll give me a chance. Momomi scowled, hair flying out behind her. She noticed she was still wearing the ribbon, so she slid to a halt and pulled it out, shaking her out long brown hair. Why’s it a matter of a chance, though? I don’t have anything to apologise for, everything that did happen is Amane’s fault. I wish I could believe that Kaname will remember that, but there’s no guarantee. This is Kaname we’re talking about. Why did Amane have to complicate things?

Momomi rounded a tree and set a course for the school. For once, she agreed with Kaname and wished for trousers. So much more practical when you’re wading through the more crowded and, well, brambly parts of a forest. But the Amane question is a damn good one, as she definitely gave me anything but a straight answer. She always has to be so damned awkward. Momomi sighed. I doubt I’d have gotten so involved with her if I realised how much trouble she’d be. She’s far too smart, scarily perceptive and doesn’t mind acting in eccentric ways to score points or achieve whatever her weird goals are. Not that I knew that before I started all this, of course. But it was Olesa’s recommendation…Momomi bit her lip. Olesa who should, no, would know both those facts and a whole lot more. Olesa who talks about me and could, perhaps, feed information and plans to Amane when they’re innocently horse riding. Olesa who, even as my friend, doesn’t mind messing me around on moral grounds. Well, it’d explain Amane’s damned insights a little. Am I being over-suspicious? Paranoid, even? Or am I just realistic? It’s hard to tell with Olesa, she’s enigmatic at the best of times. Just like Amane. No wonder they get on so well. But still, its not like I can just go and ask her. She’d just deny everything, so unless I start spying on them- nah, I’m not that desperate. It’s not important, just vaguely annoying.

Momomi stopped for a moment, trying to catch her breath. Now she was close to the school, so she had to slow to a dignified walk. It wouldn’t do to be seen running, unless it was by a teacher. On that note, I need to come up with a decent excuse. Let’s see…I ended up leaving my bag in my room before I went horse riding, and then I spent too much time talking to Amane. Well, witnesses will probably testify to that. And then I had to go all the way to the dorms to fetch my bag…eh, I’ll still get into trouble, but at least it’s something. Momomi walked through the gates of the school and sped up slightly, hurrying through the corridors and ignoring the curious glances she attracted from a few older students. Hopefully they either don’t know or don’t care. After all, the matters of the lower school students are below them, right? Unless they are the Etoiles, who not only make other students’ business their business, but then smile and claim that’s their duty, whether they like it or not. Sort of officially sanctioned busybodies, more or less. Oh, god… yeah, no doubt Serané will turn up later, speaking very prettily. And she’ll probe and extract explanations and so on. Yeah, Amane has definitely filled my day with even more needless complexity and trouble. Which is pretty hypocritical of her, when she complains so much about how other people and socialising are a bother. But she’s like that. Like Kaname, someone who has her cake and eats it. Well, as if I’m any different…

Finally, she reached her classroom, opening the door and bowing her head in apology. A few muttered words later and she took her usual seat, sighing when it became plain that news had already spread. She was receiving a lot of glances, some bemused, some curious and some outright hostile. Of course, there were also the ones who didn’t care either way, and made that very clear. Half of them faking, half of them sincere in their indifference. I wish there was a way for me to join that fraction. Under the circumstances, though, that’s probably impossible. Momomi pulled out her textbook and flipped to the relevant pages, reading fast and attempting to catch up on what she’d missed. She had to be a good student now, after all, even if it was a bother. Besides, if I concentrate on my work, I won’t have to think about what happened…shoot. She sighed. On the other hand, I need to have this all worked out before I meet up with Kaname in lunchtime. Or what I’m going to say, at least. Sorry, Geography. It looks like you’re going to have to be sacrificed for the cause after all. I really shouldn’t be glad that a lot of my teachers have given me up as a lost cause, but, well, sometimes it’s pretty useful. She pretended to pay attention, letting her mind wheel freely through what had happened. Well, I kinda know what happened. The problem is why. It’s possible Amane has sincere feelings for me and was just acting tough, in which case I was being rather cruel. I really, seriously doubt that way, though. She’d have to be a freakishly good actor. Well, I can check with Olesa this evening, and apologise if need be. I know how hard it is to confess, after all…though Amane has never lacked confidence in any of our conversations, unlike Kaname’s many insecurities. Strangely enough, that’s alienating more than anything else. It makes her so remote…Momomi frowned. I wonder whether she feels that way as well. Whatever, though. That’s not important.

She drummed her fingers against the table. Well, alternately, she was testing me, like she did before. She appears to have a phobia of people falling for her, which is bizarre, so she made sure I rejected her to know that she could trust me to want nothing more than this loose, airy friendship. Which wouldn’t be very kind of her, if that was the case… but neither she nor I are kind people. The third option is, out of altruism, under Olesa’s advice or simply to get me out of her hair, she’s attempting to make Kaname jealous by playing at interest in me. With some success, though whether there are any feelings to bring out… I still doubt that. Kaname is a possessive friend. Though, I suppose she has a point. It’s not like it’s impossible that Kaname might be mistaken, but I’m not taking any bets on it either. What else? Well, for the hell of it, I suppose. If she really does find me that entertaining when she leads me with words and plays around with me, that’s a possibility. If that’s the case, she’s even more messed up than me. It’s also possible, though, that she wants to push away her fangirls a bit by pretending to be interested in someone. She did mention that would be useful. Ribbon girl makes me question the effectiveness of that plan…Momomi rubbed the sides of her head irritably. Damn, so many possibilities, and still no concrete answers. You’re annoying, Amane. But it’s pretty impossible for me to work out which is the most important motivation. There’s nothing I can do. Kaname, on the other hand, tends to be pretty easy to read, except for when she’s not. If that makes any sense at all.

And then there’s the other problem. What the hell do I tell Kaname? Well, the truth springs to mind, but knowing her she’ll want the square peg of truth twisted around slightly and hammered repeatedly into the round holes in her head. And she’ll want a reason, as well. I’ve come up with plenty, but I’ll need to work out which one to use. I mean, Amane’s-true-feelings probably won’t go down well, but neither can I bring in the fact that Amane might be trying to make her jealous. I’m rather open to accusations of complicity on that. I suppose I’d better stick to the fangirl-warding story. But then is it worth it to lie and say Amane told me that was the case, or just say that’s my best guess? It’s not like Kaname is stupid…besides, lying to your best friend is pretty low. It might be a good idea, all the same, because she can get very jealous. Honestly, she’d be demanding as a girlfriend, she’s what you’d call high maintenance. As my best friend, she’s very possessive. I suppose I like it that way, though. But still. Truth, or lie. And exactly how to phrase it? Do I explain it from the start as if it’s a big deal, or wait for her to raise it? What if she doesn’t, and it’s getting awkward? God, there’s so many variables. Kaname should come with an instructional manual, it’d make her easier to understand. But she doesn’t. So I’m stuck. What if she starts shouting at me again? Do I shout back, or let her work out her frustration…

To the annoyance of her teachers, it was questions like this, not the four types of glacial erosion, moraine and the features of glaciated U-shaped valleys, which preoccupied her mind for much of the rest of the morning.

Onwards to Part 52


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction