Astraea Lake (part 48 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 47 Untitled Document

“Honestly, I can’t believe her.” Momomi sighed in exasperation and gesticulated vaguely. “You know… patience isn’t her strongest point, and jealousy is her sin. When she gets jealous, she’s really bad. I suppose I should be glad in a way, though, at least I’m worth jealousy to her.”

“Oh?” Shion teased. “I thought you were very sure she was jealous about Ohtori-san. You were very emphatic about that point. And others.”

“You heard?” Momomi asked, blushing.

“Everyone heard,” Olesa noted, writing down notes on the text in front of her in small, neat handwriting. “You were very loud.”

“I suppose so. I was just… you know… the kind of anger where you loose your sense of place.”

“Of course.” Shion smirked. “Well, you can rest easy on one point, Kiyashiki-san. You gave as good as you got.”

Momomi groaned. “If you say that it’s even worse… I just hope no one was listening too closely. That could be embarrassing.”

“Well, more people got the gist than the detail,” Shion said. “But only someone who went to a lot of effort, talking to a lot of different people, would get the full picture.”

“Someone like you, then.”

“Kiyashiki-san knows me far too well.” Shion shrugged. “Well, only someone who knew you could do that. The fragments of the truth are, as ever, obscured by reams of rumour, speculation and plain fiction, which suits both of us well.”

“Isn’t it a journalist’s wet dream to have a monopoly on the truth?” Momomi mused. “They call it a scoop, don’t they?”

“More or less,” Olesa agreed. “This matter would be easier if the truth was known to anyone. You two are very difficult people.”

Momomi snorted. “Yeah, like you can talk. More importantly, what are people saying?”

“Broadly, that you’ve broken up with Kenjou-kun for Ohtori-san.”

Momomi groaned. “Really? You’ve got to be screwing with me…”

“I’m afraid not.” Shion smiled. “People like theatre, Kiyashiki-san. That’s why we’re here to work on this playscript, and that’s why what sounds interesting will always displace the truth.”

“Even so, that account is based on so many incorrect assumptions it’s quite funny,” Olesa said, her tone solemn. “It should correct itself as more facts become apparent. Amane-san, too, has no desire for that hypothesis to become the accepted one.”

“Well, it’s not like she talks to people enough to confirm things one way or the other.” Momomi sighed again. “She’s certainly troublesome in that respect. If only people could approach her and ask her these things, I wouldn’t be in this fix in the first place.”

“Well, that will clear itself up.” Shion leaned forwards. “More importantly, what about you and Kaname? How are things between you? That row sounded pretty bad.”

“No, well, like I said, Kaname’s good at overreacting,” Momomi mumbled. “So I guess in the end it sounded worse than it actually was. Our studying together started awkwardly but by the end we were pretty much the same as always.”

“Really? I thought that might be the case.” Shion folded her arms and nodded wisely. “You two are always having little fights, and big ones too, but you’re both stubborn enough to scrape by.”

“They were better in the church, as well. If a little tense.” Olesa tapped her pencil against her book without looking up. “You two appear to live on tension.”

“But not romantic tension, unfortunately.” Momomi flicked through her own copy of Twelfth Night without really taking any of it in. “In any case, I assured her that Amane wasn’t the same as her to me. In a roundabout way. But I think she got it.”

“You two never talk directly, do you? It’s not good for you.” Shion shook her head. “Being implicit about that stuff leads to misunderstandings, and then those rows you have which finally clear the air after too much misunderstanding has been built up. Isn’t it easier to just explicitly tell her that you still prefer her?”

“Kaname isn’t good with sincerity, to be honest.” Momomi sighed. “Neither am I, of course. But I think she understood. Certainly, she was more cheerful. But her misapprehensions, if nothing else, are troublesome. I seriously didn’t deserve any of that. Well, maybe the one thing-”

“The one thing?” Olesa queried.

“No, nothing. It’s not important. But when she’s jealous, it really is problematic, you know. Well, you all saw it anyway.”

“This is good, is it not? It’s an encouraging sign.” Olesa frowned. “Even if her disproportionate response is troubling for you, it shows the strength of her possessive feelings.”

“Even if you say that, I think half of it was how incensed she was that I spent time with Amane, of all people.” Momomi sighed. “I knew things would turn out this way, and that she’d want to kill me. But as for the rest, I’m her first real friend. We shouldn’t be surprised if she wants to spend time with me.”

“Spending time is one thing. Monopolizing you is something else altogether. Twenty minutes in one breaktime does not warrant that response.” Shion shook her head again, smiling in mock despair. “Honestly, Momomi, if even you are willing to make excuses for her, what hope do we have?”

“It’s not a matter of excuses,” Momomi replied doggedly. “This is about realism. It’s better to accept things as they are and move on than get wrapped up in wishful thinking.”

“Sometimes accepting or even considering a more positive outcome is more difficult than continuing with the negative outcome you’ve grown accustomed too.” Olesa glanced at her. “It’s unusual, is it not? To show such a strong desire to stay around another person… that’s generally considered undignified and embarrassing.”

“And Kenjou-kun has a lot of dignity and is easily embarrassed,” Shion added. “At the very least, her passion is a mark of her esteem for you.”

“That’s just Kaname. She’s an intense and jealous person.” Momomi closed her eyes and leaned back. “Her rival’s Amane, as well. So she wouldn’t just accept it. That doesn’t mean anything, though. It’s just who she is.”

Shion sighed. “Well, whatever you say. You know her better than anyone, after all.”

Olesa looked up briefly. “Sometimes the outsider sees most of the game.”

“In any case, that’s how I feel.” Momomi ran a hand through her fringe and looked down, sighing. “And when I think about that, I do have to wonder why I’m doing this. I don’t believe she has any hidden feelings to draw out, and it’s already caused a huge row. Why bother?”

“Because Kenjou-kun appears to be as clingy as a winter cold.” Shion laughed. “And not the kind Olesa had for a day, a proper one. The kind that can leave a handful of students left in the classroom like survivors of a great war, their numbers dwindling one by one as the casualties mount and the rest look around them and wonder who will be next... do I sound like Kenjou?”

“Needs more irrelevance,” Olesa replied.

“Hmm. You’re right,” Shion mused. “And irreverence, for that matter.”

“She’s not being clingy, or anything. That’s not a word that works with her.” Momomi shrugged. “So perhaps she’s a little possessive, but I’m used to that. I quite like it, in a way, because it makes me feel needed.”

“Even if you enjoy that, isn’t that a second-best feeling? To put it bluntly.” Shion closed her eyes. “Perhaps I’m completely off the mark, but that’s the way it seems to me. Someone who’s only a friend, even someone who is a best friend, shouldn’t object just because you spent your breaktime with someone else.”

“Shouldn’t and don’ts and that kind of definition work doesn’t go well with us.” Momomi shrugged. “Kaname herself said it. Our relationship is weird, and she doesn’t mind it staying that way. I’m inclined to agree with her.”

Olesa glanced at her again. “Even if you say that, it sounds like an excuse. Her attitude isn’t healthy as it is.”

Momomi rolled her eyes. “Well, it’s not like your relationship with Amiki is any different. Don’t you monopolize her?”

“I’m not saying you shouldn’t be close. But Amiki has kendo, and I go riding with Ohtori-san from time to time.” Olesa smiled thinly. “And when I do that, she lets me be. Isn’t that different?”

“For now. Kaname will get used to it, I’m sure.”

“That’s precisely why you need to continue,” Shion argued. “She does need to get used to it. And having exactly one friend who she’s with all of the time… that’s no good for her, either.”

“Why not?” Momomi demanded. “She’s fine the way she is, isn’t she?”

“Regardless of your own feelings, wouldn’t it be better if more people liked and accepted her?” Shion shrugged. “She’s had a troubled time, but you’re someone who can reach her.”

“She said once, being alone in itself isn’t a worse choice than any other.” Momomi glared. “I agree. So it’s her choice to make.”

Shion nodded briefly. “If that’s what you think, it’s fine. But keep talking to Amane for now. How much harm can that cause? You were sure yourself, you weren’t in the wrong, now were you?”

“Well, no,” Momomi admitted. “But-”

“If you’re not in the wrong, you shouldn’t compromise. Backing out now would more or less be surrendering to her. Wouldn’t that be a bit of a waste after noisily defying her only a few hours ago?”

“I’m not like Kaname, who sees everything so personally. Things can be better for both of us.” Momomi closed her eyes, remembering something Amane had said earlier. “It’s not a zero sum thing.”

“Like I said, humoring Kenjou-kun right now might actually be bad for her. Besides, aren’t you just making excuses for yourself?” Shion shrugged. “It may be your business, but I can still worry. I don’t want a principled person like you forgetting who you are to make life easier, and I’m sure Kenjou-kun is the same.”

“You make everything so dramatic,” Momomi retorted. “For a start, I don’t have many principles, and most of them are selfish or at least self-serving.”

“That goes for everyone,” Olesa replied.

Momomi snorted. “I hope not, if nothing else. But that’s not the point, and I do take your point. It would be a little anticlimactic to back out now, right?”

Shion nodded. “To say the least. But I’m glad. I don’t know what we’d do if Kaname got used to having everything her way.”

“You mean, if she was like Amane?” Momomi quipped.

“Perhaps,” Shion agreed. “But you know what I mean.”

“Amane is like that. Kaname’s more or less the opposite.” Momomi made a face, twisting a lock of her hair between her fingers. “They’re both very strange, that much is for sure. But that’s what interests me about them…”

“I can sympathise with that thought; I’m the same, I’m only really interested in eccentrics.” Shion smiled innocently.

“I suppose like attracts like in that respect, whatever proverbs say.” Momomi sighed. “No, it can be the other way round, too. If I wrote axioms, it’d be people aren’t like magnets. Nothing’s that simple, that’s all there is to say.”

“That way isn’t nearly so dramatic, though. I said it earlier, people like drama.” Shion laughed. “Actually, that brings us full circle, doesn’t it? Perhaps we should get back to the play.”

Momomi glared sidelong at her. “I notice you didn’t refute the implication that you’re as weird, if not weirder, than I am.”

“Well, some things are that simple. Why deny a simple truth?” Shion returned to her own copy of the play. “So have you decided on how to prepare the script?”

“We’ll translate most of it, and cut it down and out only where we have to.” Olesa closed her eyes. “That makes for more flexible editing.”

“That also means more work for us,” Momomi complained, picking up her book. “You’re really charging cumulative interest on that favour of yours.”

“I’m sure Kiyashiki-san will forgive me. It’s a chance for her to exercise her great talents, after all. Besides, your work ends with the completed text, unless you choose to audition. I’ll have a lot more to do.”

“Remind me why you’re doing this, will you?” Momomi frowned. “Is it for Spica, or somesuch?”

“It looks like it will be interesting, doesn’t it?” Shion smiled and shrugged. “Aside from that, it’s not like I enjoy being the weird one who talks to second-years, either. Acknowledgement is a wonderful thing.”

“So if this is a big hit, you’ll fly off and leave us, is that it?” Momomi teased.

“Would that worry you, Kiyashiki-san?”

“That would be ungrateful of you, so I wouldn’t forgive you. That’s all.”

“Oh, I feel loved.” Shion smirked. “That’s echoing praise from you, after all.”

“Yeah, yeah. Say what you like, just don’t get too up yourself.”

“In any case, after you’re done I’ll have even more to worry about. Principally, casting.” Shion frowned. “This is a chance for you to have me in your debt, Kiyashiki-san.”

“Oh? So you want my talents again?” Momomi shook her head. “As demanding as ever.”

“Not quite. If you appear, it’ll be for yourself. You’re not much different from me in terms of reputation. It’s your silver tongue I want to borrow.” Shion leaned forwards slightly. “Ohtori-san… an outstanding person like her is likely a good actor. Even if she isn’t, her reputation is enough, provided she can be persuaded to come at all.”

“So I’m being used already, am I?” Momomi sighed and raised her hands in mock defeat. “If I manage it, Kaname will kill me. But it’s not like I can really influence her at all anyway. I’ll mention it, but that’s all I can do.”

“I suppose she wouldn’t be Ohtori-san if she wasn’t so difficult.”

“Even then, you’ll have to be patient. I can’t make it seem like I want her for that.” Momomi laughed. “Amane appears to have a complex like that. She spent a lot of time and effort making sure I wasn’t romantically interested in her.”

“Sounds like her,” Olesa noted quietly. “But one can hardly blame her.”

“Well, quite. But she’s smart.” Momomi frowned. “That much should be obvious, I know. But I never really connected the grades to the person until today. If nothing else, she can lead a conversation and regain the initiative well.”

“Of course. She is herself, after all.” Olesa smiled slightly. “That’s another of her interesting things… you should never take her indifferent laziness for lack of talent. She has a sharp mind.”

“You talk about her a lot… well, a lot more than you talk about anything else.” Momomi leaned forwards, prodding Olesa. “Are you sure you’re not one of her fangirls?”

“She is interesting, but more importantly she is restful company.” Olesa closed her eyes. “No assumptions, no demands. That’s why she is useful to you too.”

“That’s what I find weird, though. For our own bizarre reasons, it makes sense for us to talk to her. It’s not like we’re too interested in what everyone else is. But that’s the one thing I don’t understand. An antisocial person like her, what does she gain?”

Olesa shrugged her shoulders easily. “I’ve never been certain. Perhaps she’s just lonely.”

Momomi sighed. “I don’t understand her at all… that’s surprisingly irritating.”

“Don’t look at me,” Shion said. “It’s you we’re counting on, Kiyashiki-san.”

Momomi laughed. “No pressure, then? Well, I’ll see what I can do.”

Kaname sighed as she changed into her new kendo uniform, leaning against the wall with one hand. Even if things worked out okay in the end, I suppose I went too far this time. I’m just glad Momomi’s forgiving. But it did irritate me, and it still irritates me. That’s what worries me. It feels like we haven’t actually settled anything, just thrust it out of sight for now. More than that, why am I so worried by this? If that’s because of Amane, my obsession really is so strong it’s almost pathetic. But two explanations that immediately spring to mind… aren’t ones that I want to consider, even now. I don’t think they’re too likely either. I just wish I had Momomi’s certainty. She knows who she is, that’s what she says… if only I was the same. So I like her company, but that doesn’t have to make me gay. It’s the same when I say she’s beautiful, those are the words of an observant friend. I’m sure of it. Mostly. I’m still nothing like Momomi in that respect. She sighed. Am I just being stubborn or oblivious? I’m not sure whether that would be good or bad… Amiki sounds so naïve, though. Some things are impossible. But just because she said that, I’m being forced to think like this. What am I supposed to do, to confirm it? Date Momomi? Like hell I’m going to do that, I have my pride. Besides, it wouldn’t be… kind, I don’t think, especially if I have to say no after all. But what else am I going to do? Date someone else? That would be even crueler, not to mention there’s no one I could even ask. It’s so bothersome to think about. When people question even that about me, it’s like, I don’t know, philosophy. When you’re thinking that way, there isn’t anything that can be taken as assured. And while I’m stuck here wondering, Momomi will probably keep talking to Amane. Which really annoys me, and I’ve just gone round in a big circle… again. Between one thing and another, I’ve been doing that all day.

“So you actually came back. I’m surprised. I’d hoped that I’d scared you away.”

Kaname glanced at the sixth-year and snorted. “Don’t feel too disappointed. I came this time because I want to see whether the real club leader’s all she’s cracked up to be.”

Maya looked imperiously down at her. “Quite the arrogant one, aren’t we? You should be grateful to Kariya-sama. If it was up to me, we wouldn’t have someone like you in the club at all.”

“I’ll bet. Well, I hope I don’t offend your delicate sensitivities.”

“Not at all. This way, I can make you suffer, if nothing else.”

Kaname folded her arms and closed her eyes. “I’ll look forwards to your best efforts. Then I’ll show you just how is it is for someone like me to learn your precious art. It’ll be easy.”

Something long and hard prodded her in the back of the head. “Stop acting all cool, Kenjou. It’s annoying.”

“That isn’t a toy, Rivera-san. Don’t just mess around.”

“But senpai, it’s so fun to poke her. See?” Amiki prodded Kaname a few more times in the back for good measure.

“Don’t mess with me!” Kaname snapped, turning angrily.

“That’s enough,” Maya barked. “Show some restraint, or I’ll have you separated.”

“Don’t worry, senpai. It’s just our way of showing love.” Amiki shouldered her bamboo sword. “In any case, where’s Kariya-sama?”

“Her council meeting is running late, so she won’t be with us at the start,” Maya explained. “As much as it pains me, I’ll be teaching you warts again.”

“Tch. I only came to see her fight.” Kaname scowled. “I might as well go if that’s the case.”

“Someone who can’t even touch Amiki isn’t worth Kariya-sama’s time to teach. That’s what I think, anyway.”

“I object to the implications of that sentence,” Amiki muttered.

“I object to that sentence.” Kaname folded her arms. “Kariya invited me her herself, so evidently she disagrees with you.”

“Actually, I think she just wanted a chance to hit you with a bokken, after all the noise you made earlier. God, that was annoying.” Amiki rolled her eyes. “Get a room if you’re going to have a big lover’s tiff.”

Kaname growled. “You’re still saying crap like that? You really do like to deny reality.”

“Well, if I’m judging by the way you reacted to her and-”

Maya coughed, then smacked the floor between them with her sword. “You two need to get a room as well. Shut up and get into the dojo before I throw you out for disrupting my club!”

Amiki sighed as she trooped out next to Kaname, looking around and lowering her voice. “Honestly, she’s definitely cut of the same cloth as Kariya-sama. That’s the bad side of kendo. It may be one of the more practical and physical clubs but it attracts people like her, and you for that matter. People with troublesome attitudes.”

“Yeah, like you’re any different,” Kaname muttered.

“Perhaps not, but it’s still troublesome. I’m used to having at least a few people to take advantage of, if need be.” Amiki glanced sidelong at Kaname. “But how about it? You totally lost it about Momomi talking to Amane, so are you still going to bother telling me that you’re not in the least bit interested in her?”

“Don’t screw with me,” Kaname muttered. “I was just annoyed she chose Amane just to get back at me. It’s not very mature.”

“She can befriend who she likes. It’s not like you own her or anything.”

“There’s still such a thing as consideration.”

“Consideration? In what way? You’d be going overboard if you were her girlfriend, speaking like that. And you’re just a friend.”

“I don’t like that just a friend thing, it’s annoying,” Kaname growled. “That doesn’t mean I’m not entitled to an opinion. I’ll speak how I like, whatever she is to me.”

“Well, even if you say you’re a friend, you’re an extremely jealous friend.” Amiki smirked. “I dread to think about what you’ll be like when she finally does get a girlfriend.”

“Who the hell is going to be that to her? Ice prince Amane?” Kaname folded her arms. “Not even I’m that blind. That won’t happen.”

“She’s pretty, clever and single. Besides, if she keeps this up, she might end up pretty popular. At the very least, people know her and her name now. Associating with Amane has that effect on people.” Amiki leaned on he bamboo sword. “And dating Momomi could become an attractive move.”

“Like she’ll ever let that happen. She’s as bad as Amane.”

“You’re pretty arrogant, Kenjou. She’s never known many people here, so someone might surprise her.” Amiki closed her eyes. “And when that happened, a friend would have to accept that they come second now.”

“Don’t joke around. That’s about as likely as Olesa dating someone.” Kaname folded her arms. “It’s not something I’ll ever actually face, is it?”

“If you think that, you’re leaving yourself wide open to a very unpleasant surprise,” Amiki snapped. “Get serious, Kenjou.”

“Whatever. You’re the one who needs to get serious. You’ll say anything you think will get me jealous, won’t you?”

“Well, right now I’m trying to bring you out of denial. Probably because it’s funny to make you realise that the world isn’t as comfortable as you think it is.”

Maya cut them off and set them to work practicing basic movements. She pointedly sent Amiki to the other side of the room and focused her attention on Kaname. “Now show some discipline. This isn’t a social club.”

“I’m aware of that,” Kaname retorted. “In fact, I’m indebted to you for getting her out of my hair.”

“Don’t answer back! And fix your grip! It’s too low! The point’s moving too much, as well. Hold it steady!”

“Right, right.” Kaname sighed, swinging the sword down and shouting with everyone else. Maya made a few more corrections then walked on, apparently appeased for now. Kaname sneaked a glance after her and watched the others at work with a sense of discouragement. Even though she was hardly an expert, even she could see the difference between her and the others. This is just a matter of practice, though. It will come quickly enough. And most of them are older, anyway, so I have time on my side. The only problem is Amiki, who isn’t bad at all. Well, if she was no good that would just be boring. I prefer having a decent rival. The sword swung down. I wonder whether Amane ever thought something like that… whatever. Who cares what she thinks about me? It’s not like I’m any worse than she is. And I manage to have a few friends, as well, which is more than she does. So she’s more popular than I am, but what does that matter? That’s only because she’s the goddamn aristocrat who rides a horse and acts all diffuse and polite. It’s easy for her; she gets worshipped just for that. Momomi, too… it wasn’t exactly hard for her to play the same tedious game. Is that what she meant? That she’s different from me? Screw her, if she’s talking about that kind of difference she can keep it. Even if popularity comes easier for them, that’s just their birth. It’s not anything to be proud of. Kaname carried on practicing the sword swings, trying to force her mind into the rhythm of the repetitive action. That’s something that worries me, though, as much as her spending time with Amane. How can I say that to anyone, though, least of all her? It’s just too insecure and pathetic. But still, I don’t like those words.

A few minutes later, Kariya strode in, bamboo sword under one arm and helmet under the other. “Sorry I’m late. Spica and Miator were bickering like schoolchildren, just as ever. God, it’s annoying.” Her gaze swept the room, stopping briefly on Kaname before moving on. “So we’re all here. Are they all warmed up, Maya?”

“Yes, Etoile-sama.”

“Good. Well, I’m in a bad mood right now, so I’m taking it out on you guys. No complaints.” Kariya’s gaze swept round again. “Especially from you, Kenjou. One of the great things about this club is I can hit you repeatedly over a head with a long wooden object and you don’t even have the right to complain.”

“Yes, Etoile-sama,” Kaname replied, sarcasm riding on the edge of her words.

“Alright. Begin in the usual pairs. Maya, oversee the group. I’ll work with Kenjou to start with.”

“Yes, Etoile-sama.”

Kariya inspected the group again as they moved, finding space and pairing up against opponents of roughly equal ages. Then she turned and walked towards Kaname, stopping and giving her a calculating look. “So you did come.”

“I said this before, but anyone who thought I’d run away was stupid.” Kaname glowered. “But I didn’t think the Etoile was supposed to be a bully. Looking around and then at you, you have something of an age advantage/”

“I lead a practical club, with a lot of emphasis on sparring. If you just want to kill time and get some exercise, join the track club. We’re serious here.” Kariya shouldered her weapon. “That’s my attitude.”

“Right. That doesn’t change the age problem, though.”

“You’re far too cheeky, Kenjou. Be glad I’m indulgent.” Kariya looked down at her with a sublime confidence. “But it’s pointless to spar if you have no skill or training. Then you’re just wasting time. That’s why I’ll train you, along with Maya, until you’re worth the time of Rivera or anyone else here.”

“So that’s the way it is, is it?” Kaname narrowed her eyes. “Well, that’s fine. I’ll learn quickly.”

“You would do well to do so. But I want to see where you are right now, first.” Kariya slid her helmet on and took a stance. “Come at me and I’ll see.”

“This is totally unfair,” Kaname protested. But she placed her own helmet on, raised her bamboo sword and attacked with considerable enthusiasm.

First she attempted a sweep towards Kariya’s head, but the Etoile easily blocked with a single smooth motion and pushed forwards, knocking her off-balance. Kaname stepped back quickly, raising her sword to block a counter-attack, but Kariya just stood there, watching. Frowning, she adjusted her grip and attempted to attack again, striking three times in rapid succession at Kariya’s midriff. The Etoile effortlessly parried, then slid her left foot back and brought her sword to the horizontal to block a vicious downwards slice. She supported the bamboo sword with her other hand, pushing Kaname back again. A moment later she twisted her body and feinted towards the younger girl. Kaname jumped back hurriedly, sword raised to avoid an attack that never came. She scowled and pressed forwards again. “Don’t joke around!” Her sword struck out repeatedly, high, low and centrally, no longer aiming for specific parts of the body but simply to break through Kariya’s defenses. The older girl warded her off without apparent effort, smooth, simple movements that completely stonewalled Kaname’s attacks.

And suddenly, she was reminded of a memory. When I first started with karate, it was at my mother’s insistence, to control my violent tendencies. But I came to like it, because I was good at it. Before long, I could beat anyone my age. Kaname tried to drive the point of her sword home but Kariya sidestepped and blocked the attack. Except for this one kid, who took it really seriously.He’d done it a lot more than me. And he was never vicious, never flamboyant, never aggressive, just efficient. Somehow he’d go through me and take me down in the simplest way possible, never wasting any energy at all. This is just the same. She frowned and slowed slightly, launching probing strikes and watching Kariya’s response. Yes, that’s right. She lets me do all the moving. She just moves her feet and her body as slightly as necessary, and everything’s perfectly precise. She knows everything I can do and how to beat it, because she’s done this a thousand times before. Even if I can’t match that experience, I can at least recognise it. Kaname launched one more attack at Kariya’s face, but the older girl batted it aside and suddenly moved. A quick step forwards, and she took advantage of a moment’s weakness and struck through, hitting the younger girl on the side of the head. The shout was perfectly timed, and she easily pulled back and brought the sword to guard again. If someone takes this so seriously, there’s no shame in losing to that.

“I see.” Kariya bowed briefly and waited for Kaname to return the gesture before she took off her helmet again. “Pretty much what I’d expected. You’re strong for your age and your speed and stamina both appear fairly good. In terms of technique, however, you’re abysmal. You’re basically waving your weapon in my direction and hoping for the best.”

“Well, you have every conceivable advantage,” Kaname retorted. “What do you want me to do?”

“Don’t get offended. Like I said, this was what I expected. If you have the dedication, I can have you learn. I’ve taught worse, if better disciplined, pupils.” Kariya shook her hair out. “Well, we’ll take a break here. You need to calm down before I can drill you.”

“Whatever. You just wanted a chance to show off…”

“Watch your mouth. I certainly have nothing to gain by impressing you.” Kariya folded her arms severely. “Now tell me, Kenjou, did you at least follow my advice?”

“Your advice? You didn’t give me any, except shut up and learn.”

“Not that.” Kariya shook her head impatiently. “I told you to thank Kiyashiki. You know why. Did you find your manners?”

Kaname frowned deeply. “Honestly, just when I finally managed to forget all that complex stuff for a while you have to bring it up again…”

“That’s not an answer.”

“Well, in a manner of speaking… not yet. It kinda slipped my mind, and she’s given me a lot more to worry about, so…”

“You mean it was difficult and so you stalled until it felt too late to mention.” Kariya gave her a cynical glance. “You’re hopeless, Kenjou. I don’t like saying that people deserve unhappiness but you’ve never shown me much that you’ve done to deserve what happiness you have.”

Kaname bridled. “Well, no one asked you, you know. I don’t know why I have to take your orders anyway.”

“I give advice, not orders. If you’re too stupid to take it I’m not going to chase you.” Kariya gave her a severe look. “But you remain a problem, Kenjou, for ever changing reasons. Quite the scene you two made in the canteen earlier.”

“God, do I have to explain that again? I’m sick of it. If you say it’s because I’m jealous-”

“I could care less about explanations. It’s nothing I’m interested in.” Kariya glared at her. “I won’t hold your hand or think for you. It’s something you have to deal with yourself.”

“That suits me just fine, so shut up about it.”

“But, by the sound of it, you do have an awful lot of thinking to do, yourself. I suggest you think everything over, long and hard.”

“Yeah, as if I haven’t been doing that all day…”

“Then perhaps you’re thinking too much. Someone like you flips between those two extremes.”

“That’s very pat. You can have it both ways, like that.” Kaname snorted. “Besides, you’re the same kind of person, aren’t you?”

“All the more reason to listen to me, if that’s true. But someone like you, more independent than most students here, should understand. It’s your problem.” Kariya drew herself up slightly. “That means you have to solve it. Not run away inelegantly, as you’ve been doing up until now.”

“Like hell. What do you know, anyway? You said yourself, you aren’t interested.”

“No, and on that note, I’m moving on. Pick up your sword, Kenjou. I’m going to teach you how to use it.”

Kaname moved to comply, face still flushed from the uncomfortable pressure. Somehow, even when Kariya’s saying that, it still feels a lot more invasive than Amiki’s blunt attack. Just like their kendo, I suppose. But even if I hate it, I take her point. If I’m thinking this much, there is a problem. And I’ll solve it, my way.

Onwards to Part 49


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction