Astraea Lake (part 44 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 43 Untitled Document

A little more scattered than some other chapters, but I think it's necessary to set the stage. The inevitable plot device that has been foreshadowed by many a review is about to move...


“So,” Amiki began.

“So what?” Kaname asked, trying to sound bored.

“So you actually rejected her? I’m still getting over it. I thought you totally wanted her.” Amiki dipped her mop in her bucket. “It’s not like you weren’t acting like a dolt in love around her.”

“For your information, some people are straight.” Kaname glared at her. “And if the conversation’s going to stay like this, I’m leaving.”

“You’ve always been pretty cowardly. Why run away from the one thing you need to talk about? I know you’re not happy, I can tell that much.”

“Since when have you cared about me?” Kaname asked sarcastically. “Last I checked, you were some kind of rival.”

“Since Olesa decided to care about Momomi,” Amiki replied factually. “You correspond to Momomi in the same way I’m part of Olesa’s life. Even you recognise that, right?”

“We’re not similar. I’m not paid to be with her.”

“Do you really think Olesa has anything to pay?”

“That’s not the point. You have a… a duty, to be with her. Don’t you?” Kaname rolled her eyes. “That’s such an outdated thing. Our relationship is more normal.”

“Actually, I don’t have to do anything? Did you think I was born in the nineteenth century or something?” Amiki snorted. “I don’t have to stay with Olesa, but I want to stay with Olesa.”

Kaname snorted. “Well, even if you say that, you don’t have the right to talk about this. This is personal.”

“Friends, Kaname. You should look up the word some time.”

Kaname glanced at her, a little surprised. “I notice that I’m only a friend when it’s convenient to you.”

“You’re still being as dishonest as ever.” Amiki rolled her eyes. “Or does it disturb your feelings of tragic heroism to have friends? I’m sure it’s so much cooler to be angsty and alone…”

“Shut up.”

“Well, it’s not like I like you very much. But I’ve decided to care, maybe just for the hell of it. You might as well take advantage of that.”

“It sounds more like you’re taking advantage of me,” Kaname replied, almost automatically.

“Call it what you like. But you two are radiating way too much angst; it’s giving me a headache. So you can’t expect me to just stand here and take it.”

“I like how you come at me with all these different excuses.” Kaname snorted. “Can’t you at least stick to one story?”

“Trying to reason with you is like trying to fit the proverbial square peg into the round hole. You don’t do reason, so I have to bash sensible ideas into your skull.” Amiki folded her arms. “And this is a real good one. Sometimes it’s smart to talk about your problems.”

“Well, what’s there to say? She’s gay, I’m straight. It just comes down to that.”

“Woah, slow down. You’re straight?

Kaname snorted. “Don’t sound so surprised. Seriously.”

“No, it’s just like that has to be a bad joke.” Amiki smirked. “You’ve spent the last two weeks flirting with her over food, blushing furiously and generally acting the lovestruck teen. You threw yourself at me to protect her, you went on an all-day date with her, came back, and then went out again in the evening with her, of your own free will… and that was to celebrate the fact that you’d thrown yourself at her father to protect her again. I’ll stretch to bi, but you’re not straight, Kaname. You’re not that good a friend.”

“I should know, shouldn’t I?” Kaname folded her arms defensively. “I don’t ask other to people to tell me whether I’m gay or straight. I mean, otherwise Momomi might as well listen to her parents’ glorious denials.”

“There’s a difference, though. Her parents were being stupid, but right now you’re the one being stupid.” Amiki shrugged. “You two have been very close since forever, and more and more my jokes started becoming reality. She was definitely flirting with you at times, and you didn’t mind. Hell, you flirted back.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Fish.”

“That’s just because she doesn’t like fish?”

“Oh, come on. Normal people would let the other person take it from their bento. Feeding each other is definitely well over the couple event horizon.”

“What do you know about couples?” Kaname demanded.

“A lot more than you, apparently. But can you claim that’s normal behaviour between friends?”

“We were just playing around.”

“Of course. Isn’t that what flirting is?”

Kaname sighed. “Even if you say that, I never intended it that way. Neither did she.”

“I know that, but that’s because you’re both oblivious twits.” Amiki shrugged. “But even then, I don’t think you act like that without a reason. Whether you recognise it or not is up to you.”

“Well, whether or not you say that, nothing changes,” Kaname replied, feeling irritable. “You can tell me I’m gay all you like, and I’ll say you’re wrong.” Though I’m glad I didn’t mention the hair brushing and the holding hands…

“Right. Whatever. So, what would you do if Momomi was a boy? Would you be interested in her then?”

Kaname sighed. “Fine, so I’d date her if she was a guy. That doesn’t change anything, does it?”

“Why do you say that, though?”

“Because she’s has a lot of wonderful qualities, and she can stand my presence. I’m willing to admit that much.” Kaname shrugged. “She’s a girl, so it’s moot.”

“You have a lot of confidence in yourself, a lot of certainly that there’s no point in even trying. I’m not an expert, but I’d say you’re being too certain in that respect.” Amiki glanced at her. “People don’t know themselves as well as they’d like to think, especially someone like you.”

“For the last time, I’m not gay.”

“On what evidence? Have you ever even given it a try?”

“What do you mean, give it a try? What the hell do you want me to do?” Kaname scowled. “You just sound weird when you say that.”

“People like you can be stupid. You think everything has to be “yes” or “no”. The truth isn’t so simple, it’s a sliding scale. That’s what I think, anyway.”

“Well, it’s still a pretty clear matter, isn’t it?” Kaname tried to remember Momomi’s lines, her glorious certainty. “I know who I am.”

“Sometimes, the answer is both. And sometimes, you can say I’m not sure. That’s what I would have done.” Amiki glanced at her. “Told her you weren’t sure of your feelings, defer your answer, go on another date, do some couple stuff, try kissing. Give yourself some time to think. Then you could have told her what you felt. But you have to do be so straight-forwards and simplistic, even when it’s not warranted.”

“Where’s the point in that? Why go through all that when there’s a simple answer?” Kaname rolled her eyes. “I’m not interested in that kind of relationship. I’m sure of it.”

“But you’re not.” Amiki glared at her. “Perhaps it’s just my instincts, but I trust them. If this is certainty, Kaname, you can’t articulate it. How about you run with the hypothesis that I may have even half a point and look at your feelings like that?”

Kaname snorted. “There’s no point…” What if she does have a point, though?

“This is an important thing, isn’t it? Would one kiss kill you? If that doesn’t do anything for you, then you can do what you like.”

Kaname raised her eyebrows. “Are you volunteering?”

“Like hell. It’s meaningless if it’s with me.” Amiki mopped the floor with an affected casualness. “It has to be Momomi. That’s the only way you can be sure.”

“Yeah, great plan. Sounds nice, doesn’t it? Hi, I know I rejected you and you’re sore about it, but can I kiss you? Just to make absolutely sure I’m not gay after all.” Kaname scowled deeply. “I’m not an expert either, but I’m pretty sure that counts as trampling on someone’s feelings.”

“Hey, is it my fault you made a mess of things?”

“Oh, come on. I’m still pretty certain, and isn’t it better to be decisive? Even if I’d done things your way, it’s just cruel to drag things out, and maybe get Momomi’s hope up. And I’d only feel more pressurised to say yes.”

“It’s better to be right,” Amiki retorted. “Even if that requires a little pain, it’s best to have that certainty. You don’t have it.”

“Yes, I do!”

“Like hell you do. Your stubborn pride is not the same thing.” Amiki glared at her. “You’ve got this ass-backwards anyway. Would it be such a bad thing if you were bi? Then you could date Momomi.”

“Isn’t that all the more reason for me not to build up false hope for us both?” Kaname demanded. “If I start thinking like that, I’m going to force myself somewhere I don’t actually want to be.” Or maybe you’re just standing on your dignity again. I want to be right, even though things would be better if I was wrong.

“It’s not like that, one way or the other. If you begin with a conclusion in mind, of course you’ll probably end that way. It’s bad practise. That’s why I’m suggesting a scientific method.” Amiki started up the stairs. “All conclusions need data to support them.”

“Even if you say that, it’s a settled matter, isn’t it?” Kaname shook her head dubiously. “I think it’s better just to work things through as they are.”

“I can’t force you to do anything. But think about it.” Amiki shrugged. “Momomi likes you, which is a miracle in itself… but that’s not the point. If you explain yourself, something you don’t do much, I’m sure she’d be patient. For her own sake, if not yours.”

“You make it all sound so easy,” Kaname sighed. “Have you any idea how embarrassing it would be to even broach the subject?”

“I don’t give a damn. Since when did crap like that have anything to do with the right thing to do?”

“Says the person who isn’t doing it.”

“Well, it’s still true. I didn’t know you were such a coward.”

“Idiot.” Kaname sighed, facing the wall as she worked to conceal the blush blooming on her cheeks. “It’s not my fault I’m not comfortable talking about this stuff.”

“Well, you’re going to have to learn, aren’t you?” Amiki shrugged. “Who knows or cares about the specifics? What I feel now is more important, isn’t it?”

“Even if you say that, it’s the way I think. I’ve always thought of her as my best and only friend, but not more than that. It’s a matter of… perception.” Kaname wondered why she was even bothering to find words. Probably because I need to have this conversation with myself. Amiki’s irrelevant. “I never saw her as a romantic partner. I don’t think I can.”

“For someone like you, never before might just been you’re being oblivious and stupid. Like I said, think about it.”

“Yeah, yeah…”

“The problem is, people see the world in such simple ways. I have to be this, I have to be that… we categorise things so forcefully. Isn’t better to go by the feelings of a given moment? I like Olesa, say. That’s enough, isn’t it?”

“Are you being serious?” Kaname frowned. “Well, not that I’m surprised.”

“It was probably just hypothetical,” Amiki returned, smiling as she glanced at the other girl over her shoulders. “Who knows?”

“In any case, you’re exactly the opposite of Momomi.” Kaname frowned, placing a hand against the wall. “For her, being gay’s something to declare and something that’s an integral part of her identity. She’s very… aware, of that fact, and how it relates her to the world.”

“That’s because she’s met with hostility for those emotions, especially by her parents. In an ideal world, it wouldn’t matter. In an ideal world, we wouldn’t have to say it. We’d just go with our feelings of a moment.” Amiki snorted. “Not that we’ll ever have such a world… but that’s what I think anyway.”

“You’re surprisingly thoughtful,” Kaname mused.

“Don’t be too surprised. I’m not stupid, you know, I talk about this stuff all the time with Olesa.”

“Oh? What does she say?”

“She sticks closer to Momomi’s perspective.” Amiki looked thoughtful for a moment. “I’ve always thought that’s because I answer only to her, but they answer to their parents and society. Me, I could care less about what people think.”

“Same here.”

“Yeah, right…” Amiki pointed her mop at Kaname, dripping water on the floor. “You say that, but you’re actually very sensitive. With a few people, at least. So you have to be one or the other as well. But what do I know? I’m just a little girl.”

“You don’t punch like a little girl,” Kaname retorted.

“Well, of course. But society doesn’t know that. Stereotypes can be useful.”

“Or a huge bother. Are we done now?” If Amiki’s talking seriously, I really am screwed.

“Not quite. How are things now? I noticed you weren’t feeding each other like newlyweds this time, though that makes sense.”

“It’s annoying,” Kaname blurted, glad she finally had a chance to vent some of her complicated feelings. “Even if I don’t want things to get more intimate between us, they were still fine the way they were. She doesn’t have to pull away like this!”

“Wouldn’t you find it weird to be fed by someone who likes you?” Amiki asked. “Isn’t that pushing the boundaries of friendship just a little?”

“Well, maybe it was,” Kaname admitted. “But I didn’t mind that stuff, I still don’t, and it seemed to make her happy. So why does she have to start acting so cold?”

“She’s probably being considerate of your feelings,” Amiki replied. “Isn’t that the proper way for her to behave around you now?”

“Proper how?”

“Well, it is weird.”

“Our relationship has always been weird,” Kaname retorted. “It’s pretending to be anything else that annoys me. What’s the point in that?”

“It’s proper? Come on, Kaname, if you like that stuff just tell her so. Have you?”

“It’s not that I like it,” Kaname hastily. “It’s just that it feels right. Those are two different things.”

Amiki gave her an extremely cynical glance. “A little honesty once in a blue moon wouldn’t kill you, you know.”

Kaname flushed again. “Yeah, say what you like. It’s just because I never really ever had any friends, and I never had any real family either. So I enjoy some of that stuff, so sue me. Momomi’s like my sister or something.”

“I doubt that. Younger or older?”

Kaname cocked her head, considering. “Well, both. Younger in that I protect her, but older because she looks after me and brushes my hair and all that crap…”

“She brushes your hair?”

“Yeah. What of it?” Kaname gave her a defiant glare.

“Oh, nothing. Well, if it’s bothering you, tell her.” Amiki shrugged. “If I was to take a guess though, she might not be comfortable with that stuff as well. Being close but not close enough… it’s rather like rubbing salt in a wound.”

“Do you think?” Kaname asked glumly. “I hadn’t thought of that.”

“No harm in asking, though.” Amiki glared at her. “It’s your responsibility, Kenjou. No one’s going to fix this mess for you, it’s your personal business. You said that yourself. So take responsibility!”

“Yeah, yeah. Get back to me when I know what to fix.” Kaname shouldered her mop, feeling a disconnected sense of irritation. “In the meantime, this clock tower won’t clean itself. I suggest we got on with it.”

Amiki nodded. “Most sensible thing you’ve said all day.”

“They’re as troublesome as ever,” Olesa observed.

Momomi knew what was coming next, and decided she didn’t want to face it. “So we have to arrange Twelfth Night for Shion. Have you given that any thought? It’s pretty obvious we won’t be able to enact the whole thing, and some simplification will be necessary in any case. It’s a lower-level production.”

“I agree. We need to prioritise what we want to keep and what must go. I presume you’re familiar with it?”

“Somewhat. I studied it with tutors, luckily, so I refreshed my memory by reading some summaries online. You?”

“I read it in the library here, in my first year.”

“I didn’t know you had time for that on your busy schedule.”

“Even I need some leisure time that doesn’t involve intense competition.”

“A little light bedtime reading, was it? Well, whatever.” Momomi shrugged, washing the floor in long, slow sweeps. “This makes things easier, anyway. We can work it out between us.”

Olesa nodded in agreement. “Do you have any thoughts yourself?”

“If you ask me, we should emphasise the plot that centres on Viola. In my opinion, she’s the best of the characters, and the whole play revolves around her. Malvolio and Feste’s subplot will probably have to be axed so we can get as much of the rest as possible.”

“I disagree. The subplot is important to provide comic relief. The play could become pretty heavy going without it. Besides, parts of it are excellent in themselves, while some of the main characters can belabour the audience somewhat. Orsino’s lovestruck angst springs to mind.”

“He may be annoying, but he’s necessary because of Viola.” Momomi frowned. “Besides, I can’t imagine you getting much of a kick out of comic relief.”

Olesa looked pained. “I am human, Kiyashiki-san, as convenient as it is for me to pretend otherwise.”

“In any case, I see your point, but less characters would simplify things a lot from the point of view of production, as well.”

“That’s true in itself, but somewhat misses the point, I believe.” Olesa closed her eyes. “This is not going to be the best performance ever seen. It’s a school play; more than that, it’s a lower school play. We should emphasis inclusiveness, not the opposite. That requires as many characters as possible.”

“I know that, but something has to give somewhere. It needs to be workable as a play, too.” Momomi shrugged. “Besides, I was never particularly fond of that subplot anyway. It was first too flippant and then far too disturbing.”

“That’s it’s quality, I believe,” Olesa retorted. “Malvolio being locked up provides some much-needed edge in an otherwise rather syrupy play.”

“Yes, but like you said, this is a lower school play. For catholic schoolgirls, too. They want syrupy. Anything else is overcomplicated.”

“I refuse to set the Malvolio subplot to paper without that sequence.”

Momomi rolled her eyes. “Okay, I got it, Miss Artistic Integrity. But I still think we could do without the whole thing.”

“In any case, we’re both making guesses as to the intentions of the producers.” Olesa frowned thoughtfully. “Instead of arguing now, perhaps we should assemble possible ways to write the play and present them. They can make the choice themselves.”

“That’s sensible enough,” Momomi admitted. “I guess this way we can also include the most artistic and least practical options, as well. It will make us feel better, if nothing else.”

“The danger is that the third-years in question are artistically minded, and no-one else.” Olesa looked around thoughtfully. “On the other hand, we might be underestimating our audience. They may be young but they’re well educated and fairly sophisticated. We could probably venture some drama as well as the syrup and humour.”

“My fear is that you’re doing them too much credit,” Momomi sighed. “At the risk of sounding arrogant, they’re not all like us. But you’re right, I suppose. Better to try and fail at depth than leaving it unattempted.”

“So we keep the subplot? Ironically enough, it contains the most depth…”

“Cynical, aren’t you? There’s more to it than that.” Momomi shrugged. “Just offhand, Viola’s famous speech to Olivia. We’re going to have to work very hard to carry the meaning of that over, but we’ll lose some of the magic, all the same. This is why I prefer to read things in their native language…”

“Well, that isn’t practical,” Olesa observed.

“Of course not. It still annoys me, though. Translating Shakespeare… we may be smart, but this isn’t easy. Why couldn’t we use a pre-existing translation?”

“Presumably to uphold the tradition of using student adaptations, they do that in the whole school play. So because our senpais desire to keep up with them.”

Momomi sighed again. “This is a long way to go to placate the egos of some third years. It can’t be helped, I suppose.”

“Well, quite.”

Then there was silence, while they worked, and Momomi decided not to break the silence. What would the point be? That was a fairly pointless conversation anyway, we can deal with all this when we meet up for the purpose later. And I don’t want to talk about anything else, so it’s fine. If she’s going to be like that, I’m okay with it. Momomi shot Olesa a suspicious glance, only to find her mopping the floor a few meters away in complete indifference. More than that, it appeared she’d forgotten that Momomi existed. She sniffed and turned away. I shouldn’t expect anything else from her, of course. She’s so cold and apathetic, I’m sure someone could be shot in front of her and she wouldn’t even flinch. Momomi scowled. What does she care about me, anyway? It’s not like she’s ever really returned my overtures of friendship. To me, I’m someone to do business with. Even if Shion tells her, what does she care? It has nothing to do with her, unless she can find some way to use it against me. Then, and only then, it would be of interest to her. Not before. That’s how she thinks. That’s how I used to think, but at least I grew out of that! Thanks to… Kaname. God, it annoys me that things had to turn out this way, but wasn’t it inevitable with hindsight? Just as long as she’s willing to remain a friend, it’s fine, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a little bitter. Disappointed hopes. If I wasn’t bitter, then that would mean I didn’t care anyway. Momomi glared at Olesa, still cleaning in silence. But she doesn’t give a damn, does she? It’s all one to her. She probably thinks I deserve to suffer because of my father, or something stupid like that.

“Is there something wrong?”

Momomi ground her teeth. “Why do you ask?” she managed.

“You were giving me a rather unpleasant glare,” Olesa replied without looking up. “It’s rather disconcerting.”

“I just wondering when the hell you were actually going to say something,” Momomi snapped.

“Say something? Should I say something?”

“Well, perhaps you don’t think so, you damn cold bitch!”

“I don’t think I follow.”

Momomi fumed. “You don’t, do you? Well, isn’t that nice…”

“I’m at a loss. If this is about the matter between you and Kenjou-san, I thought it would be better not to say anything.” Olesa glanced at her, face deadpan. “After all, if I took advantage of the situation to comment on things, you’d accuse me and Amiki of manipulating you two. You might well tell me to keep out of your personal life. Am I wrong?”

Momomi glowered at her and said nothing. When she looks like that it’s impossible to know whether she’s being honest or whether she’s playing you for a fool. I suspect it’s the latter, though.

Olesa turned and grounded her mop. “Even if I raise the topic, there’s not much I can say. I’m no expert, after all. What I will say is that, if you want to be my rival, you should take everything you want from this world. It would be pathetic if you gave up just with this.”

“Well, forgive me for being pathetic,” Momomi snarled. “I got rejected! What choice do I have? If I kept pursuing her, that would be horrible for her! I’m mature enough to accept this and live with her friendship, so if that makes me pathetic-”

“That’s not what I’m saying. You can be very literal sometimes.” Olesa gave her a calculating look. “Kenjou-san can be very slow, and in any case there’s more than one way to approach this matter.”

“Like what?” Momomi asked guardedly, intrigued despite herself.

“Be patient, remain friendly, and move on.” Olesa raised a hand to still Momomi’s protests. “That’s not the same as giving up. Afford Kenjou space to think while pressurising her by commencing the pursuit of another girl. If she does have latent feelings, that will clarify the matter for her. If she doesn’t, you will already have broken away from your earlier feelings, and will be able to remain a better friend to her.”

“What the hell do you know about this?”

“Nothing,” Olesa admitted. “I’m working purely from theory. But still, my calculations are sound, are they not?”

“Why the hell would Kaname care if I go after some other girl?” Momomi folded her arms. “It may be theatrical, Olesa, but she isn’t going to care. That’s where your calculations fall down.”

“She has become accustomed to you being with her always. You give her the attention of a girlfriend, even though she retains the official status of friend. It is necessary to correct that imbalance, so she can realise it exists.” Olesa narrowed her eyes. “That’s the course I would choose.”

“Even if you say that, we’re just friends, best friends. It’s no different from you and Amiki! Who are you to talk to me about spending too much time with one person?”

Olesa shrugged. “Alicia and I have an understanding.”

Momomi blinked. “An… understanding?”

“That’s personal. Suffice to say she’s neither a friend nor a servant, exactly. That’s hardly the point, though.” Olesa looked away, her eyes thoughtful. “I am not experienced, Momomi, but the outsider sees most of the game. That’s true here as well.”

“Yeah, yeah. Well, I was there, and I was rejected. That’s pretty final.”

“I wonder about that, but even so.” Olesa gave her a steady look again. “What would be the harm in trying? It wouldn’t be healthy to let Kaname monopolise you. I’m sure she can manage a few lunchtimes apart every now and then. If she can’t, she does like you.”

Momomi shifted, disconcerted. Somehow, now someone actually has a plan of action, I feel slightly cheated. But wouldn’t this be better than angsting? “Well, even if you say that… there’s no one I can think of I could realistically pursue. No offence, but you’re taken and Shion’s too… well… Shion.”

“There’s one person who would be perfect.” Olesa shrugged. “If you’re not afraid.”

“Afraid?”

“I won’t bear responsibility if you incur her wrath, but…” Olesa looked around, then stepped forwards and whispered into Momomi’s ear.

Momomi went white. “I can’t do that! She’d kill me!”

Momomi sat on her bed and kicked her heels against the side, yawning hugely. “God, that was tiring.”

“You’re telling me…” Kaname collapsed opposite her, flicking a strand of her hair out of her eyes. “At least you didn’t sit there and spend an hour wondering who the hell all these characters are, and why they like cross-dressing so much. Honestly, a boy playing a girl playing a boy… Shakespeare had some bad fetishes, didn’t he?”

Momomi laughed, a sound Kaname hadn’t heard in too long. “You have a point.” Then she collected herself, attempting a more severe appearance. “But it’s not like you had to stay, you know. If you were so bored, you should have just left.”

“With Amiki standing over Olesa’s shoulders? How could I?” Kaname sniffed. “She’d probably have attacked you while I was away, and then I’d just have to run back anyway.”

“Pretty sure of yourself, aren’t you?”

Kaname gave her an even look. “Sure, you can do all the wordplay, but nothing shuts that up like violence. That’s where I come in, right?”

Momomi snorted. “In case you haven’t noticed, those two are our friends now. They’re not going to attack me, even if you’d enjoy a good scrap.”

“Ha. They’re that way now, but I still don’t trust them. Olesa can hold one heck of a grudge.”

Momomi laughed. “Aren’t you the same, though?”

“It’s not a grudge,” Kaname complained. “I resent that accusation. It’s a healthy rivalry.”

“Sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night.” Momomi shrugged. “I’m sure Olesa would claim the same thing, and at least her rival acknowledges her existence.”

“Is that my fault?” Kaname folded her arms. “Well, it’s not like I care. An enemy with their guard down suits me just fine.”

Momomi giggled. “You know, you never stop. You’re always you.”

“Well, of course.” Kaname gave her a puzzled look. “That’s who I am, right?”

“You know what I mean.”

“Not really. In any case, you’re in a good mood all of a sudden.” Kaname gave her a suspicious look. “Did Olesa say something?”

“Her? Do you think my rival cares about my wellbeing?” Momomi shrugged and smiled weakly. “I decided I was being too gloomy, so I’m sorry about that. I shouldn’t act like that, should I? It’s a little childish.”

“No, it’s fine,” Kaname said, unnerved. “I mean, I can understand that… you shouldn’t apologise for it, or anything, I don’t want you to force yourself if you want to be melancholy. But I am glad you’re happier now, of course! If I wasn’t, that’d just be odd… I’m your friend, after all.”

Momomi laughed and smiled. “Just stop talking and have a shower, okay? It’s been a long day?”

Kaname looked away and nodded. “Sure. I’ll be back.” She headed for the bathroom.

Momomi watched her go. Sorry I have to deceive you again, Kaname, but it’s probably for the best. Even if it’s pointless, it’ll make me feel better. That will make you feel better too, won’t it? I hope so, anyway. Otherwise I’m to annoy you rather a lot for no good reason at all…

Onwards to Part 45


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction