Astraea Lake (part 43 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 42 Untitled Document

They say that when you sleep, your dreams are the filing and categorization of your day. The office workers of the mind, having slacked off doing everything they could possibly do except thinking all day, are finally forced to tighten their belts and get some work done at night. In the dead of night, one thinks or sleeps and dreams, because it’s not like there’s anything else to do. It’s amazing the lengths people go to ensure that they don’t think. I should know. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, either. People talk about having time to think as if it’s a mature, intellectual, wonderful thing, but it doesn’t have to be that, not necessarily. No more so than watching television, reading a book, or watching a film has to be intellectual. When you have too much time to think, too much to think about, your mind drifts round and round, in ever-widening circles, embracing the same ground in different ways. And ultimately, it thinks stupid things. Needless doubts and pointless worries, the kind of concern that may be legitimate but remains useless for the purposes of everyday life. In other words, superfluous thinking is as much as a waste of time as any other activity can be. Kaname snorted and turned over, still half-asleep. Thinking like this, basically. That’s why dreams are so good, at least that way we can multitask something. Isn’t that a female thing? No one to make cracks about me being like a guy, not when I’m just thinking. It’s not very fair. If I’m that much like a guy, why would she like me? It’s just plain illogical… She groaned into her pillow. Whatever. Not thinking enough is also a bad idea, and to judge by last night… my dreams tried to do about two weeks’ worth of backlog thinking in one night. My head hurts. Bloody weird dreams…

A door opening. The intake of breath. Soft feet padding across the floor. Kaname rolled over and sat up, yawning hugely. Actually, she’d rather go to sleep for another three hours at least, but she’d force herself. Besides, Momomi’s surprised face made her heart beat a lot faster, fast enough to shake the last vestiges of sleep from her body. “Morning,” she managed. The word didn’t suit her. It was too formal. She was well used to not having to greet Momomi in the mornings. She was just… there.

“Hi,” Momomi replied. She looked wrong-footed for a moment, then she smiled. “Still in bed? Honestly, Kaname, you really are useless without me, aren’t you?”

“It’s not my fault,” Kaname grumbled, relieved. She rubbed her head. “Someone kept me up at an ungodly hour, knowing I had a proper schoolday in the morning.”

“Doesn’t change the fact that you can’t get out of bed in the morning,” Momomi teased. She was sorting through her drawers, looking for the clothes she needed for the day.

Kaname watched her thoughtfully. Normally she’d have them all laid out… didn’t have time, yesterday. “It’s not like I can’t get up sometimes, you know. I just like a healthy night’s sleep. Maybe a waif like you wouldn’t understand.”

“I wonder.” Momomi pulled a shirt out and shook it out, checking for creases.

Kaname glanced at her nightclothes and dressing gown, both slightly too big for her. “So you stayed at Shion’s.”

Momomi took a breath before she replied, her voice catching slightly. “Yeah.” She tried to find something else to say. “Sorry.”

Kaname clambered out of bed, waving her hands. “It’s not like there’s anything to be sorry about… it always embarrasses me, when you’re so formal…”

“That was my line.”

“Eh?”

“Last night.” Momomi glanced at her, forcing a smile again. “It’s just a funny thing, isn’t it? We’re not normally the kind of person who apologizes, for the most part we’d rather lose a tooth than have one dragged out of us, but right now… a little ironic, really.”

“It is, a little,” Kaname agreed. She tried to remember how it went. “Well, don’t get used to it or anything… it’s not like I’m doing it for your entertainment.”

“Perish the thought.” Momomi piled her clothes on the bed, then turned and froze momentarily. It was quick, her face twisting briefly in surprise, and then she turned and headed for the bathroom with a serene face, her perfect mask.

Kaname followed her gaze, and found the vase. So that’s what bothered her… and she’s bothered, I can read her enough for that at least. Was I supposed to do that? It’s not like I know the etiquette on these occasions…

“Are you going to stand there all day?” Momomi asked, her voice muffled by the door.

“You can’t even see me,” Kaname retorted, annoyed.

“Inactivity has a special noise all of its own, you know.”

Oh, well. They’re nice flowers. That’s reason enough to keep them, isn’t it? “I’m going, I’m going,” Kaname said out loud, trying to find a workable shirt and skirt from her own messy drawers. She sighed at the mess. “You know, all things considered, I should be the independent one, shouldn’t I? It’s not like I had servants to wait on me or anything…”

“So what went wrong?”

“Well, first you learn how to live independently, then you start to realize how many times it’s easier to cut corners. Something like that.” Kaname shrugged. “I’m only an irresponsible teenager, after all.”

“Does that make me mature or childish, then, if I’m the one who insists on being neat?”

Kaname shrugged a fresh shirt on and started to button it up. “Don’t ask me. I’m just glad you find the energy to bother about two people, when my track record’s none.”

“Somebody has to.” Momomi stuck her head out the door, then retreated again when she saw Kaname struggling with her skirt. “Hurry up, I have to return this stuff to Shion, you know.”

“I’m hurrying, already. I always hurry.” Kaname smiled. It’s a strange thing to be glad for routine, but that’s what I want now. Let things be as they used to be.

They switched places, Kaname washing her face briefly then checking herself in the mirror. She rubbed her red eyes. Didn’t get enough sleep last night, what with one thing and the other. Then she brushed her teeth and looked at herself, literally red-eyed and with her ruffled blue hair, made even more untidy by sleeping on it. It stood up on one side, crumpled and curly, and generally looked pretty stupid. She self-consciously ran a hand through it, smoothing it down. And somehow, unbidden, the thought came into her head. So why does Momomi like me anyway? I mean, even if someone had told me, I’d consider it weird, worry about it for a while, and then dismiss the thought. It’s just such a… well; it’s such a weird idea. If it wasn’t for the fact that last night was completely burned into my mind, I’d dismiss it as so much fantasy. I mean… Momomi liking me? It’s not like I hate myself or anything but I always thought she knew too much about me to like me. Kaname smirked at the mirror. My morning face, for example. I could understand if she started crushing on one of the Etoiles like everyone else in the school, or Shion, a senpai, something like that. I’d think it was bloody stupid but I’d understand. She only sees them at their best and most graceful, and they’re beautiful and, well, older than me. She sees me at my worst and I’m the one who looks weird and acts weird, an awkward, defensive tomboy kind of girl without any friends except her. I don’t really get it, but I suppose it shows she’s not shallow or anything. My personality’s pretty terrible as well, though. So should I berate her for having bad taste? I doubt she’d appreciate that… but I’m glad, in a selfish way. I always thought that she might start going out with someone, and I’d see her less… now that is a selfish thought. I don’t have any right to monopolize her time, least of all now. But I can dream, can’t I?

When she emerged, Momomi was busy combing her hair. Kaname smiled at the sight; it wasn’t like her friend didn’t need to do that either. That’s the secret, isn’t it? Beautiful people have to work at it too, some more and some less. But with the Etoiles, we only see the end result. With Momomi, I know the preparation, such as it is, so I’m as used to her with bed hair as she is to me like that. It’s less glamorous. On the other hand, the Etoiles see other like that as well. I guess couples can’t exist in willful self-delusion, so there’s no need to start that way either. Feels like that would make it easier, though. People are more decisive when they think things are simple. Doesn’t matter if they really are simple, they just have to think that. So why did Momomi say all that when things are so complicated?

“You’re as introspective as ever,” Momomi observed. “Didn’t you tease me for that before?”

“It’s nothing,” Kaname observed hastily. “You don’t need to worry about it. I was just… worried, before.”

“With good reason.” Momomi sighed. “I’m sorry I made you worry.”

“I’m sorry I ever started with the apologizing,” Kaname replied. “It’s getting really annoying.”

“Well, what else would you have said?” Momomi shrugged the bitterness out of her voice and smiled, looking into the mirror. “At least you had an excuse. All I’m protecting is my cowardice.”

Kaname gave her a serious look, wishing she’d face her. “I’m the same, I think.”

Momomi put her comb down and stepped past her with calculated carelessness. “Well, that’s hardly new for either of us, either. That’s the kind of people we are.”

Kaname sat down and folded her arms. “I guess so. We shouldn’t change it suddenly, it makes me feel weird.”

Momomi laughed, briefly and ironically. “I’ll bear that in mind.”

“No, I didn’t-”

“That’s not it,” Momomi said hastily. “I just thought it was… funny. Hurry up and stay the same, you know? It really is the kind of people we are; we like to feel safe. Because we know what it feels like when things really do go wrong.”

“I guess so,” Kaname replied automatically. Like hell you thought that. Who’s worse; the one who came up with that evasion? Or the one who accepted it?

“I’ll pack our books,” Momomi said, rooting through the cupboard. “I know where your timetable is. Don’t worry about it.”

“Uh… sure.” Kaname glanced at her, frowning, but Momomi’s back wasn’t very expressive. Which would be worse? To call her on it and prompt an unpleasant confrontation? Or to let it slide and make her think I never cared in the first place?

“Looks like we’ve both get History again. Which reminds me, we haven’t caught up on it at all… I guess we’ll play it by the ear, just like before.”

“It’s all the same to me. The same old principles… hasn’t really changed since Sunny’s day, you know?” Kaname was suddenly glad Momomi was looking the other way. She wasn’t like Momomi; she found it harder to fake a smile.

“Sunny?” Momomi snorted. “You really don’t have any reverence at all, do you?”

“I’m very suspicious of reverent people. Seems to me that they don’t know when to laugh.”

“Sounds like my father.”

“More like my mother… she should try it, laughter might help.” Kaname picked up her comb and started to brush her hair, a little more violently than was strictly necessary. We know what it feels like when things go wrong, is it? She bit her lip. All the same, nothing changes.

They made painfully small talk for a few minutes while Momomi packed their bags, then went for breakfast. Momomi lead, with her quick, confident stride, and Kaname followed, walking a little slower than she otherwise would, always content to take her pace from her friend. I’ve always been that way. It was a strange thought to have on a strange morning, but when she reflected on it, it was true enough. Momomi was completely herself now, which was to say, smiling and talking and light and, essentially, emotionless, colourless, very transient, and somehow absent, even when she was there. Perhaps someone who knew her less well would be fooled; Kaname was not, she knew her friend well, but she’d forgive her. All the same, it was a little disheartening. She closed her eyes momentarily and stuck her hands in her pockets. Well, how would I feel in her place? Disappointed? Knowing me, I’d throw a temper tantrum. So I’ll shut up and stay the same, because it’s Momomi who changes, and I believe in her. She’ll feel better after a while. Well, that’s what I think anyway. I have to think that, as my own inability means I can’t consider the consequences of her not coming round. She frowned. Perish the thought that Kaname Kenjou might have to take the initiative in her friendship for once.

Momomi frowned and looked around as they neared the canteen. “Well, I’d better take this back to Shion’s room.”

Kaname nodded. “Okay. Shall I come with? I can always eat later.”

Momomi shook her head. “No, I don’t want to trouble you. Can you get my breakfast? I’ll have whatever you’re having.” She smiled. “As long as it’s not fish, okay?”

Kaname nodded again. “Sure. See you in a second.”

“See you.”

Kaname walked on into the canteen, trying not to make too much of it. This is the first time in a long time I came here alone… she just has to return clothes, though. And she could have left me at our door, but she came this far with me, even though it’s out of her way. I’m overanalysing, that’s all. She looked about the crowded room in a desultory way only to find three people looking at her. She recognised that kind of look. It was how people appeared when they’d been talking about you and you suddenly entered the frame, an analytical, slightly cold stare. Apart from Olesa, I’ll allow that much. Olesa just looks like that all the damn time. She nodded briefly at them then turned back to queuing. Today was Japanese style. There would be fish. She tapped her feet impatiently, annoyed. Normally she had Momomi’s conversation, at least, to distract her from how much she hated standing in a line and waiting. It cuts against my instincts. I’d rather be in a free-for-all and take my chances with the older girls. But she placed the two orders quicker than she’d hoped, and struggled over to the others with two trays. No one was quite sure when and how they’d moved from a diaspora to one consolidated table, or under whose leadership the shift had occurred, but it had happened. Kaname preferred being alone with Momomi, free of annoying distractions and banal conversation, but still, there were worse ways to spend her time.

“Where’s Momomi?” Amiki asked, direct as ever.

“Dropping something off,” Kaname replied neutrally, sitting down and putting one of the trays in front of the seat next to her. Why is she always Momomi to people when she’s not around? “She’ll be back in a second.” Am I Kaname to them, when I’m not around? It’s an odd thought.

“I see.” Amiki paused to drink some of her soup. “So… how did the rest of your date go?”

“It wasn’t a date.” Kaname had intended to sound sharp, but she just came across as tired. “God, it’s annoying when you say stupid stuff like that.”

“Alright, alright, forgive me.” Amiki’s eyes narrowed. “So stop dodging the question. How did it go?”

“It was alright.” Kaname dredged, with effort, details from her memory. Last night was feeling incredibly distant. “We watched this film, called the Lake something… Shack? Barn? Time travel headquarters? It was very weird, Momomi said it was a romance but it felt more like a very slow kind of sci-fi film. Something about lost technology post-boxes and time travel and trying not to destroy the universe, and I’m sure there was something about bringing two people together so the messiah of the future could be born.”

“Wasn’t that the Terminator?” Amiki asked doubtfully.

“Not in this case,” Shion said. “I think Kenjou-kun’s just being obscure.”

“Well, it’s not like we see many films either.” Amiki frowned. “That’s hardly the point, though…”

Words unsaid echoed above them. Kaname didn’t feel like saying them. “It was fine. Coming back was a pain, though. I ended up having to take Shion’s advice after all, and I nearly got caught more than once.”

“See? Good planning is always useful. As a back-up option, if nothing else.” Shion beamed. “Now aren’t you glad you listened to me?”

“Not really. They’d cut down one of the trees in the second wall and I almost broke my neck realising there was nowhere to jump to. Then I almost got caught by a Sister, like I said.” Kaname glared. “If it wasn’t for the fact that I didn’t have Momomi to worry about, I’d have ended up in the disciplinary room. Or the hospital. One of the two.”

Shion coughed to cover the surprise of the other two. “Oh, my… I guess I should have checked the route. I last took it in my first year, after all. Well, you learn something everyday, right?”

“You’re as casual as ever.” Kaname glared. “I nearly died out there!”

“Oh, come on. Who else would have had any useful information on such short notice?” Shion pouted. “You mocked me last night for knowing anything at all. You can’t have it both ways, you know.”

Kaname just rolled her eyes. “Whatever. I survived somehow.”

“How is Kiyashiki-san?” Olesa’s voice was as impassive as ever, but her eyes were sharp.

“She’s fine,” Kaname replied awkwardly. “Why do you ask?”

“Tomori-senpai’s given us to understand that you rejected her romantic advances. I thought this might have upset her somewhat.”

Kaname felt like she’d just been slapped. Olesa just gave her a neutral look and went back to her breakfast. “You told them?” She tried to get some proper anger into her voice. “That’s nice to know, going behind Momomi’s back at the first opportunity...”

“I’m not that low.” Shion was unexpectedly brusque. “Her friends, only. As she has few friends, that means those two.”

“And we’ve no-one to tell. It’s not important.” Olesa appeared to have recovered from her cold, at least, though Kaname couldn’t really see any difference.

“But you really are an idiot, Kaname,” Amiki said, shaking her head. “I knew were oblivious but I didn’t know you were that bad about this…”

“What now?” Kaname demanded, running a hand through her hair. “It’s not a matter of being smart or stupid, is it? I just don’t like girls, that’s all.”

“What would you do, if you did like girls?” Shion mused, cocking her head.

Kaname just blushed. “Well, I- she’s my best friend, isn’t she? Isn’t that kinda weird? I enjoy talking to her, so that’s enough, isn’t it?”

Olesa looked up momentarily. “It’s always enough until it isn’t. You should be careful.” Then she returned to her food.

“Was that profound or just pointless?” Shion wondered. “It’s always hard to tell with you, Perez-san.”

Olesa just shrugged.

“So what’s up now?” Momomi sat down, slightly out of breath.

“Nothing,” Kaname replied guiltily. “These three were saying weird things again, that’s all.”

“Excuse me?” Amiki gave her a sharp look. “Did we go on a pseudo-drunken rant on the nature of religion and the world as it corresponds to a croissant roll?”

“I don’t think I’ve ever done that.” Kaname folded her arms defensively. “You shouldn’t put words in other people’s mouths, it’s not clever.”

“Give you time. You’ll get there eventually.”

“Actually, there are worse topics for a rant,” Shion observed. “You should add it to your rotation, Kenjou-kun. Soon you’ll have one for every occasion.”

“Do you think I memorise them or something? Don’t insult me. All my spiels are completely spontaneous.”

“I don’t know which would be more worrying, that you took the time to work them out and learn them, or that you actually have a brain addled enough to spew them out on demand.” Amiki shook her head cynically. “And she calls us weird.”

Momomi shrugged. “Well, it’s a talent, isn’t it? A way with words.” She prodded her breakfast unhappily. “Fish, is it? More’s my misfortune.”

Kaname grunted. “I’ll eat it, if you like. You can have my miso, or something, I haven’t touched it.”

“No, it’s fine.” Momomi busied herself with her chopsticks. “I mean, I’m staying here. I might as well get used to eating fish, right?”

“Ah… sure.” Kaname returned to her own food, feeling vaguely disappointed. “That’s true. I guess I should learn to brush my hair, too.” She didn’t plan to say it, but somehow she did anyway. That’s what you get for excess thinking with your tongue unguarded.

“Yeah,” Momomi agreed. “That might be a good idea.” She toyed with her fish. “You’re a teenager, after all…”

This isn’t what I want. “I guess so.”

“But still… I don’t like the taste of fish, just generally. Like I said, it’s a family thing, none of us like it. Perhaps I just find it strange, but…” her voice trailed off. The others looked between them; aware they weren’t quite seeing something important.

I should say something, anything, but what can I say? “Well, I don’t like pickles, and I live here,” Kaname began. “It’s natural enough that you don’t like certain kinds of food.”

God, but I suck at this.

Kaname went to her lessons with a twitching, if displaced, sense of wrongness. Somewhere, somehow, things aren’t the way they should be. And it’s not like I don’t know it. I’m just hoping it’ll turn out okay. How pathetic is that? The thought haunted her as she went through the motions of studying, but this time she did work at it, simply because the alternative was to think and she wasn’t sure she wanted to do that right now. Other students talked to her, for the first time in a long while. The subject was always Momomi, the Phareli, stuff like that, all the rumors that had been going round the school about it. Kaname was vaguely glad that the rumors were one step behind; she wasn’t in a mood to discuss the complications to their relationship with a random clutch of her peers. But not everyone was as worryingly efficient as Shion. She replied as neutrally as she could, except to the one girl who rather snootily implied that Kaname was onto a good thing by hanging onto the coat tails of a heiress. Kaname didn’t mention the fact that the extent of Momomi’s current worth to her family could be measured in a casual present used to buy clothes. But she did tell that student to jump off a bridge and take her damn arrogance with her. It was all so… bothersome. Unnecessary. Momomi didn’t say unnecessary things, or when she did, they were interesting at least. If Kaname didn’t want to talk, Momomi would let her be. The rest of them didn’t understand that. They didn’t know, the same way Momomi did, that personal space was also something you kept in your head.

Lunch, something she’d anticipated and dreaded, didn’t go much better. It was nothing articulated, never anything articulated. But Momomi ignored her fish without a word and somehow Kaname couldn’t speak, or hold up her chopsticks, or do anything she’d done before. She couldn’t even find the words to say how she was disappointed. She could understand but that doesn’t mean she enjoyed it. All the same, she didn’t say a thing, and so gave it her tacit consent. That’s what she reflected on when she stared out of the window in the afternoon lessons, having given up on work. Now was the time when she needed to think. Tacit consent. If I really think about it, that’s all I ever gave. I’m not good with words. I always have to be so cooled, so careless, holding myself a little distant even when I’m actually bending at the knees for her. I always have to maintain that pretence. There’s not much I gave to her that I didn’t hedge with my weasel words, but she gave me so much. She initiated everything, or as close to that as to make no matter, and I was just content to follow. And I was content to follow. Even when we held hands, I was calling that a thing between friends, and when we fed each other as well. But I also knew it could be looked at another way. If Momomi had asked, “do you want to hold hands?”, I’d have blushed furiously and told her know. But because she just did it, as if it was such a natural thing, I accepted it, and didn’t say a word. I never rewarded her with her courage. Like that, isn’t it inevitable that her courage would fail before long?

Kaname sighed deeply, leaning on one hand and watching leaves flutter in the wind. When I think about it, what would I have done, if she’d just kissed me? As if that was a natural thing, as well? Would I have just accepted that, too? Surely I’d say something, make some protest, I know I’d be shocked. But I might go along with it out of cowardice. I don’t like appreciating what I have, and I don’t like setting out the boundaries. I let things slide one way or the other because I don’t have the confidence to correct them. Really, when it comes to relationships, I can be a real coward. And now that’s come to haunt me. She frowned. Asking Momomi to kiss me, though…that would be far too much. If it was me, I wouldn’t even be able to confess, I bet. She’s just a girl, a smart girl, a confident girl, a manipulative girl, but she’s only her age and she’s got no experience at all. What kind of idiot would just kiss another girl without saying anything?

She remembered Shion’s question. She makes it sound so simple, but, at the end of the day, isn’t this the one thing I can’t fake? What if I’d said yes? Where would be? In the end, we’d be even more unhappy. If I’m honest with myself… maybe I would date Momomi, if she was a he. I mean, she’s cute, smart, witty, sophisticated, sensitive, graceful, caring, but with the ruthlessness I can associate with all the same, someone who knows me and respects my limits. She’s almost perfect. But… male and female, isn’t that a real divide? I can’t fake that. The thing is, I’m straight. Sure, I have a few odd moments, but who doesn’t? Isn’t that what being a teenager’s about? They call it being confused, or something, when an otherwise straight girl crushes on another girl for a while. And anyone would be confused in this school…but the majority of my, well, fantasies, they’re about guys. And I’m still a bit wierded out by the whole girl-on-girl thing. That makes me straight, it stands to reason. And a straight girl can’t go out with another girl, it just doesn’t work. I mean, I could pretend, but I’d never fool Momomi and I’d only make her even more unhappy. I don’t want to do that. She shook her head to try and clear out her troubling thoughts, tapping a finger against the desk. It’s still so… weird, though. Momomi likes me? I can’t understand that. So, every time she was talking about her cute girl, that was me. It’s hard to believe. Well, I’d like her myself, if she was a guy, so perhaps it makes sense. I warned her, though, I told her that I don’t like girls that way. So why did she mention it? Something she couldn’t hold back? No, if she tried to be my friend without telling me she felt like that, that’d be bad. The question’s more like… why did she have to like me? Wouldn’t be easier if it was some other girl? If that was the case, our friendship wouldn’t be damaged like this. Kaname sighed glumly. As ever, the world’s an inconvenient place. I never catch many breaks.

Lessons were over, and she went to the Church. It was almost good to get back to dreary routine. At the very least, it was better than sitting in her room and brooding, which she knew she’d do if she didn’t have anything else she absolutely had to do. Even so, she didn’t relish spending an hour with a slightly distant Momomi in the company of an inquisitive Amiki and Olesa. Shion might even turn up out of boredom and worsen the situation. And to top it all, the Etoiles would need to at least pass by. If they mentioned anything she’d said last night, she swore she’d die. Even worse was the possibly that Serané would take Momomi aside for her improvised therapy… even if things weren’t good, she didn’t want the Etoiles butting into her private life. It just felt wrong. So why did you go and borrow a vase, after all? And from them, of all people? She frowned at the treacherous voice. That one would be called Kariya from now on.

“So we’re all here again,” Amiki remarked. “Can’t I just have another fight with Kaname and be done with it? This is getting boring.”

“I think that’s the idea,” Momomi remarked lightly. “So I wouldn’t advise starting another fight, we’d only be here for another month as well.”

Amiki sighed and shouldered her mop. “So troublesome… I wish I could at least get you and Olesa off.”

“Ever the faithful servant?” Kaname mocked.

“Nothing that grand. You’re both useless, if you don’t mind me saying so.”

“I consider that a compliment, of a kind,” Olesa replied.

“Well, it isn’t going to happen, and we know it,” Kaname said. “Unless you can bribe the Etoiles or something.”

“Which isn’t going to happen, and we know it,” Amiki completed. “They certainly know how to institutionalize tedium.”

“Now that’s a dubious talent.” Kaname gave Momomi an easy look. She was so far away…

Amiki banged her mop against the floor decisively. “So let’s at least have a decent division of labour. Kaname, we’ll do the tower. That’s the hard part, and we’re the competent ones. The other two can do the church floor, right?”

“That’s fine,” Olesa agreed.

Kaname folded her arms. “Those two are only going to slack off if we’re away, and you know it. More than that, you’ll let them do so.”

“Amazingly, we can do some work without you,” Momomi replied quietly. “Not sure how, but there it is.”

“Then it’s settled,” Amiki said before Kaname could reply. “Come on, you’ve lost. No whining now.”

“I’ve heard that way too much these past few days,” Kaname remarked, sighing. She slouched after Amiki, sparing a glance for Momomi behind her.

If everything’s going to be fine, why does she look like she’s breaking apart inside?

Onwards to Part 44


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction