Astraea Lake (part 42 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 41 Untitled Document

Ironically, I feel ill-equipped to write this next section. Rejection's never figured largely in stories I've read, perhaps because the characters in them were a little sharper than Kaname. But cut her some slack, she's only thirteen.


Kaname knocked on the door, balancing the bouquet on her other arm. She had to wait quite some time before a ruffled-looking Kariya shoved open the door in her night-dress and gave her a death glare. “What, Kenjou?”

“Do you have a vase?”

“A vase? You come to me at eleven o’clock at night, well past curfew, when decent civilised people are asleep even at my age, and ask me for a vase?”

Kaname made no reply.

Kariya fell silent and looked at her facial expression for a moment, then sighed theatrically and opened the door properly. “So that’s how it is. Come in.”

Shion opened the door and frowned. “Kiyashiki-san?”

“Hi. Do you mind if I sleep here for tonight?”

Shion gave her a worried look but stepped back. “Feel free. Are you okay? You look a little rough.”

Momomi followed her inside and sat on the spare bed. She forced herself to look up and smile. “I’m fine. Don’t worry about it. I just need to sleep here tonight.”

“Don’t give me that, Kiyashiki-san,” Shion said good-naturedly, sitting opposite her and folding her hands into her lap. “You wouldn’t need to sleep here if there wasn’t some kind of problem, now would you? It’s about Kenjou-kun, isn’t it? Have you had another row?”

“Why would you say that?” Momomi said, trying to bluff her way out. “It’s just that I… well-”

“If you want to talk about it, I’ll listen,” Shion said simply.

Momomi lay down and rolled over, looking at the wall. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Are you sure? You don’t look very happy.”

“It’s fine. You’d just think I’m stupid anyway.”

“I wouldn’t think that, and you know it.” Shion chuckled. “For a start, you managed to make it here at this time without being caught. Did you follow my excellent plan?”

Momomi laughed dutifully. “Sadly not… I used… hers.”

“That’s too bad.” Shion pouted, an expression wasted on Momomi’s impassive back. “But now you’ve got me worried. What’s up?”

“It’s not a problem. I just need some time.” Momomi shifted slightly. “But there’s no problem at all. Once I’ve got myself together, everything will be fine.”

But it’s you I’m worried about.” Shion leaned forwards. “It’s not a happy sight, to see you like this. I’m used to you facing me, because you’re a brave person. You don’t run away from her problems.”

Momomi laughed bitterly. “Courage is a wonderful thing, isn’t it?” She took a long breath, realising she’d said more than she’d intended. “But I don’t want to talk about. I just want to go to sleep. I could care less if that’s running away.”

“Well, if you don’t want to talk, that’s fine.”

“Good.”

Shion stood and walked towards her. “But if you think I can let you go to sleep like that, as a responsible senpai…” She grabbed Momomi’s shoulder and turned her over, unsurprised to see red-ringed eyes. “You’re wrong. Come on, get up. Have a shower and get changed, I’ll lend you some nightclothes.”

“I just want to sleep,” Momomi protested, but Shion had already dragged her out of bed. She couldn’t find the energy to resist.

“You’ll feel better, I can assure you. One can be miserable and clean, or miserable and unclean, and one is better than the other is, I can assure you, as one who has experienced both in her time…” Shion lead an unresisting Momomi to the bathroom, keeping her voice even. “Just relax and take your time.”

“Who says I’m miserable?” Momomi managed. “I’m fine, you’re just overreacting.”

“Yes, yes,” Shion replied. “I understand. Now undress and clean yourself up. Do you mind borrowing my nightclothes, or shall I go and fetch spares from the uniform room? I’m sure the sisters would understand if I explained to them. Or should I go back to your room-”

“Not that,” Momomi said shortly. I don’t think I could face it if Kaname told her. But why’s that so bad? It’s not like there’s anything either of us has to hide…but still… it feels wrong. If Kaname told her, it would be like it meant nothing to her…I’m not sure I could bear that. If I was rejected, can I at least believe that she thought it was important?

“One of mine, then?”

“That’s fine,” Momomi said, barely listening. She shrugged off her jumper, wondering whether Shion might have a decent idea after all. It was late and she was tired and the routine of undressing gave her a few moments of mindless release.

Shion walked off, closing the door carefully behind her. “Take as long as you like, just tell me when you’re about to come out, and I’ll pass this through. Okay?”

“Sure,” Momomi replied automatically. She stepped into the shower, allowing a deep sigh to escape her lips for the first time in her senpai’s presence.

Showers are my bane. I think way too much in the shower…Momomi groaned, remembering her shower earlier. Yep, this wasn’t a good idea after all. The warm water running over her naked skin was comforting, but it couldn’t protect her from her thoughts. And sooner or later, they’d wander in that direction, probably sooner than later… So talk to Shion. But what can I say about anything that doesn’t prompt her to probe deeper? Well, I could talk about the problem, that’d make me feel better…no, that’s no good. I have my pride, after all. Besides, it is stupid of me to be upset by this, and I know she’d think so too. Kaname gave me her honest answer and I can’t blame her for it. I’d even expected that answer, ever since I half-formed the thought that I might see her…that way. So I should just accept it and move on. She’s my friend, and she’ll remain my friend. That’s enough, isn’t it? It would be mature to understand that’s not a good or a bad thing, just the way things are, exactly like she said these things…human things…are before. So why do I feel like this? Why couldn’t I just walk back with her as if everything was fine? I’m sure that would have been the right thing to do, but somehow I couldn’t face it. I can’t face it. I don’t want to be in her presence, just for tonight. Is that a childish thing? Am I trying to punish her, or something stupid like that? Well, it feels like I’m punishing myself, because I can feel nothing but pain right now.

It’s…it’s not fair. Now those are childish words. Momomi sighed again. Not that Kaname rejected me, I expected that from my perverse love. But I shouldn’t think like that, that’s what my father thinks, and look at him…all the same, I know my feelings will bring her pain but no joy. That… that feeling…that’s what isn’t fair. Perhaps it’s childish, but I need that right now. Why did I have to start liking her? Why couldn’t I just remain her friend? We’d both be so much happier if only I’d never begun to feel this way. What would have happened, if I hadn’t stumbled on her on that day? Would I never have been bothered like this? Or was it always latent within me, just waiting to be dragged out? That makes me feel a little ill, it’s like a taint within me, something that’s just too different from the friendship she expected from me. An unpleasant thought struck her. Is that how she sees me? When I think about it, I never really replied when she asked how long I’ve felt this way, she might have misunderstood. But even that length of time is too long, isn’t it? Leading her along as if I was just an innocent friend, when really I’m looking at her with affections that she freely admits she finds disgusting…it’s just too pathetic. What the hell did I expect? Why did I even tell her? I knew she thought that about people like me, I should have been happy with her mere acceptance, so why the hell did I have to bring it to this? For all I know, she’s sick of me by now, so disgusted she won’t want to speak to me again… and I… and I… don’t know if I could bear that.

Momomi sniffed. I’m not going to cry. I’m not going to cry. I’m not going to cry. There’s nothing to cry about. You’re just overreacting. It’s a little pathetic, isn’t it? Somehow hating yourself makes you feel better. Perhaps if I make my rejection inevitable in my mind, it’ll let me forget what might have been…She slapped her cheeks to exorcise her painful thoughts. All the same, she could feel the accompanying emotions twist like a knife in her chest, deep and serrated, cutting slowly into her heat and slowly soaking up her blood. Everything’s going to be fine. Everything’s going to be fine. I just have to get myself together, and then I’ll go back to Kaname and we’ll just be friends and it will be fine. I’m young, this kind of thing is to be expected. I’ll get over it soon enough, even if it feels like the world is ending right now. There’s no need to dwell on things. That’s just stupid…I’m not the kind of person who dresses in black and writes angsty poetry, and I know this isn’t the end of the world. Everything’s going to be fine. I just need to collect myself. That’s all. I’m myself, aren’t I? Momomi Kiyashiki, the one who wears a mask and manipulates people. This is simple, isn’t it? All I have to do is pretend I can accept things as they are. But if that’s the case, shouldn’t I just tell Shion, as if it’s no big deal? No, more than that, why do I have to pretend? I don’t have any choice, I have to accept this, because there’s two people in a relationship and throwing away what I have with Kaname over a petulant tantrum about what I can never have would be beyond stupid…I know that, I know that, I know that! So… why isn’t this easier?

The knife stabbed deeper. I’ll just blank out all my thoughts and think about something, anything else. I don’t know, my script work with Olesa…I need to hurry up with that, don’t I? Heck, starting it would be nice. Even if she’s unfriendly, she’s a reliable person, so I it should go smoothly- Momomi’s mind rebelled. Forget it. I wonder what she’d think if she saw me now…actually, I don’t want to know. She’d probably say I deserve misery, or something like that, being my father’s daughter. Is that a little harsh? I think I’m being very uncharitable right now, but I don’t care, as far as I’m concerned right now the world in itself is very uncharitable. It would have been- great. But I can’t think about that. There’s nothing to think about. It’s settled, and if I’m feeling tormented now at least it’s not eating me up inside any more. I’ve said it, it’s over, and the rest is like…a purge. Vomiting the poison from my body. Sure, it’s going to hurt like hell while I’m going through that, until I can barely breathe and I feel like I’m suffocating, but in the end I’ll feel cleansed and exhausted. I have to think like that. Momomi snorted. But I can’t believe in such a convenient world…Kaname taught me that. Even if they caused me pain, feeling like that made me happier to be around her, those feelings made me happier to be alive. And when I was facing my father and almost in despair, those feelings gave me words, the strength to stand and defy him. They’re more than just pure evil, even if reducing them to that makes me feel better, in a bizarre way, about the situation. Self-hate won’t help anything, I have to face reality as it is. That’s right. I have to face reality.

Momomi turned off the water and stepped out, grabbing a towel and drying herself quickly. She didn’t have any stomach for remaining, she’d just go full circle again. When she was done, she wrapped the towel about herself and opened the door, quickly taking the night-dress from Shion’s hands and locking her out again. She threw the towel down and changed quickly. That towel is Shion’s, and this dress is Shion’s, and everything here is Shion’s. It’s a mark of how Astraea’s got me that I find that weird…She sighed and walked out, hugging her body slightly and sitting on her bed again.

“What are you thinking about?” Shion asked casually, sitting opposite her.

“That I shouldn’t find it weird that you’re alone in here,” Momomi replied, delighted that she had a honest answer that didn’t incriminate her. “That’s perfectly normal for the actual world beyond these walls.”

“That’s what I tell myself, but it’s still a little hard, compared to everyone else… and compared to when I was with Isae.” Shion shrugged. “Well, you don’t come here to listen to my problems.”

“Kaname was the same, wasn’t she,” Momomi said slowly. “Before I came. I remember that…”

“That’s right, she was.” Shion shrugged. “It’s a matter of rejection.”

Momomi winced and stared at her senpai. “Say what?”

“Social rejection,” Shion replied blithely. But there was a calculating air to her eyes. “For me or Kenjou, for our different reasons, we both spent a lot of time alone and with no room-mate, isolated from everyone else in Astraea. It’s not for you. We both responded in different ways.”

“You took up your whole stalker thing…” Momomi murmured.

“And Kenjou fixated on Ohtori, the effortlessly popular girl.” Shion shrugged. “I’m not a psychologist, Kiyashiki-san, so I don’t really know what I’m talking about. But I suppose you could call us both people who fell through the cracks.”

“You have your fangirls, though…”

“That’s all they are, fangirls. It’s so superficial and hollow.” Shion sighed. “Oh dear. I shouldn’t sound so gloomy when you’re the one who’s upset right now, now should I?”

“It’s fine.” I’d rather think about other people’s problems than my own.

Shion smiled. “I’ll try again. What I meant to say is that we both were cut off from the world, and you’ve taken some of that loneliness away from us. Thanks to you, I was able to meet interesting people and feel like I was working for something. I’m glad you came here.”

Momomi looked away, never particularly good at dealing with unexpected sincerity. Just like Kaname…”It’s fine. I was using you, so it’s not like you owe me anything.”

“You took, but you gave as well. That’s how social life goes. And I’m sure Kenjou-kun felt the same thing too. I’m sure you saved us both from very dreary lives.”

Momomi laughed ironically. “Forget it. I’m not in the mood for this right now.”

“Alright, alright. I just thought I’d say that, because I’ve been reflecting on it, and I never did thank you.” Shion shrugged. “Shall we go to sleep?”

Momomi opened her mouth and tried to work out how to reply. Act like it doesn’t matter…which means talk. She couldn’t face Shion, though. She looked at the wall instead. “I confessed to Kaname.” That sounded like a confession in itself, an admission of guilt. A long way from something which doesn’t matter. Perhaps I do need to confess my sins, or something, that makes more sense as a reason. That’d explain why it felt like those words welled up from a bog and exploded out of me. The venting of noxious gas.

“I see. So something like that happened… and she turned you down?”

Momomi rolled her eyes. “What do you think?”

“Just to be sure, you know.” Shion gave her a worried look. “I wish I knew what to say… you should have gone to the Etoiles, you know. I’m no good at this stuff.”

Momomi lay down on the bed. “I came here because you’re no good at this stuff.”

“Well, I know it’s no consolation now, but at least you were able to tell her,” Shion noted. “That’s important. I don’t think I have half your courage.”

Momomi laughed weakly. “Thanks, but you’re right. It’s no consolation at all.”

“It’s just such a shame,” Shion sighed. “I was almost sure she returned your feelings…”

“Say what? What do you know about this?”

“Need I say more than the word fish?” Shion smiled softly. “Even if I say that I’m no good at this stuff, I do consider myself perceptive. I’ve known how you feel for a while, perhaps even for longer than you did yourself-”

“Am I that easy to read?” Momomi demanded, feeling slightly upset.

“Only about this. That’s why I considered it a good thing… you knew, didn’t you, that I made sure it was just you two going today. I thought I’d set the stage for you two, but it looks like I didn’t help in the end.”

Momomi tried to find the energy to be angry, but she couldn’t somehow. There was no stabbing pain, either. She just felt… sad, and drained. As if she didn’t have much left to give. “It’s fine. I guess you’re right… best to get it over with…” She sniffed again, then restrained herself.

“Poor girl.” Shion sat next to her and put her head in her lap, staring down at her with melancholy eyes, even as she forced a smile. “You’re really very brave, Kiyashiki-san…”

“Shut up.” Momomi closed her eyes as Shion started to stroke her hair. She should stand, shout, protest, push her away, but she couldn’t find the energy to move. All she could do was feel Shion’s gentle touch, and wish it was Kaname who was holding her. And she cried, just a little, before she fell into the arms of slumber.

“So what happened?” Kariya demanded. Behind her, Serané pottered about, finding a vase and beginning to arrange the flowers.

“What? Oh, nothing…” Kaname said quickly. “I just didn’t want them to go to waste, that’s all-”

“Could it be that Kiyashiki-san confessed to you?” Serané said bluntly, without looking around.

“Say what?” Kaname demanded, trying to cover her embarrassment. “Why the hell would you say that?”

“I was anticipating it, it would explain the flowers and their unusual selection and symbolism, and it would also figure with your reaction.” Serané’s voice was calm and collected. “I take it you rejected her.”

“Well… yeah,” Kaname admitted, defeated.

“She expected that. This is a very fatalistic selection of flowers.”

“You mean you can understand that stuff?” Kaname demanded, seizing on the one thing she could make sense of right now.

“Of course. I’m well-versed in floriography.”

Kaname snorted. “I should have known…”

“In any case, Shizuru’s intuition strikes true once again,” Kariya observed. “I’m disappointed in you, Kenjou. I had a small wager between us that you’d be the one to make a move first.”

“Say what? Are you screwing with me?”

“Yes, I am. I was being sarcastic. At the very least, I expect you to have dealt with this in a proper and mature way.”

“Of course I did,” Kaname replied, sounding offended. “We both agreed we’d remain friends, it’s… fine. Just a little weird.”

Kariya sighed deeply. “And you went back together? I won’t ask at what time, I don’t want to know…”

“Well… not exactly… she said she wanted some space,” Kaname insisted. “More or less. Well, she implied it pretty heavily, even if she didn’t say it. I was only being polite.”

Kariya groaned. “And where is she now? In your room?”

“Not last I saw… we kinda got separated, as I had to climb up a wall, jump across to a tree, jump another wall, avoid a Sister on patrol and make my way here as she’d ditched me and taken her convenient excuse with her,” Kaname garbled. “And when I got back, she wasn’t there.”

Kariya snorted. “This is troublesome. Can you go find her, Shizuru? I know it’s late, but duty’s duty.”

Serané nodded and brushed herself off, walking over to her wardrobe and taking out a dressing gown and shoes. “If I was to guess, she’d be at Tomori-san’s room, considering she’s been there before. If that’s the case, I’ll come back. I trust Tomori-san.”

“You put a lot of trust in a socially apathetic young third-year,” Kariya observed. “I wish I had that much faith, myself. I’d feel easier if you were talking to her.”

“An interrogation from me may not be in her best interests at this time of night,” Serané replied. “I doubt she wants such a fuss made. I’ll find a way to talk to her tomorrow, and see how she’s feeling then.”

“What’s the big deal?” Kaname demanded, a little raw from Kariya’s cynicism. “She’ll be fine, right? It’s not like I could say anything different. I’m sure she’ll be fine…”

Serané cast an amused look while she walked towards the door, while Kariya just snorted. “Giving someone space sounds great, Kenjou, until you realise its shorthand for give me space to angst, wring my hands and drown myself in self-destructive delusions. I don’t want to know what kind of nonsense she might be entertaining all alone.”

“This is Momomi, already. She’s not just some angsty stupid teenage girl or whatever.” Kaname shrugged. “There’s nothing to be worried about, right?” Right? I want to believe that, because now I’m the one who’s worrying.

“Probably,” Kariya admitted, closing her eyes. “But it’s best to be sure. I’ve done this a dozen times before, the least we can do is make sure she’s in safe hands.”

“Shouldn’t I go?” Kaname scowled and folded her arms, glaring at the taller girl. “You’re worrying me now.”

“If you want to know what you should do that’s best for Kiyashiki-san,” Kariya began, “you should go to bed.”

“Oh, thanks…”

“And then smother her in the morning. Even if she protests. If you still want to be her friend, you have to prove that to her, because she’ll have doubts.” Kariya opened her eyes and glanced at Kaname. “That’s what you want, right? I have that much faith in you, if no more than that.”

“Of course!” Kaname glared at her. “How the hell am I supposed to respond? You’re my only friend, but you’re attracted to me so I want you to get out? What kind of sense does that make?”

“Not much, but I’ve seen it happen before. For a few people, the very idea still disgusts them. Those people are very unhappy people at Astraea.” Kariya sighed, closing her eyes. “You’re troublesome, Kenjou. Bringing me problems when this should be my day off…”

“No one asked you to get involved in anything,” Kaname retorted. “Isn’t it just your control freakery? This is a personal matter, isn’t it? What’s it to you?”

Kariya ignored her for a moment, stopping in front of the newly filled vase and touching one of the roses. “Unfortunately, I have a duty. If fulfilling it means stepping into your adolescent comfort zones, I’ll do that.”

“You’re as annoying as ever. Etoile-sama.”

Kariya snorted. “Then, tell me, why are you here? To get a vase? Do you expect me to believe that?”

Kaname blinked, then found her voice again. “Yes. Because it’s the truth… if you want me too, I’ll leave.”

Kariya rolled her eyes and turned to face her. “Forget it and sit down. If nothing else, we may still need you. In the meantime, I’ll make a few things clear.”

Kaname crossed her arms defiantly, but was undermined when Kariya sat casually on the couch. Knowing that continuing to stand would make her look defensive, she sat, wondering irritably whether she’d just been steered. “Make it quick.”

Kariya gave her a steady look. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be? I don’t need any counselling-”

Kariya pinched the bridge of her nose irritably. “So help me God, Kenjou, but I will extract honest answers from you even if I have to drybeat you with my katana.”

Kaname glared back in silence.

Kariya sighed. “Surprised?”

“A little,” Kaname admitted quietly. “Just not as much as I thought I would be.”

“Shocked?”

“A little.”

“Upset?”

“Not really. It’s just… hard to process.”

“Disturbed?”

Kaname rolled her eyes. “You can stop treating me like a retarded two year-old now, you know.”

“I’ll stop treating you like that the moment you realise that you can talk to people. If you think I can’t help, you’re arrogant. Children like you need a sense of perspective! And it starts with the realisation that they’re not alone in this world.”

Kaname smirked. “You know, that tone won’t work on me. I use it myself.”

“When Momomi is upset?”

Kaname looked wrong-footed for a moment. “Why does it have to be her? It could be with anyone-”

“If anyone else was upset, you would not care enough to say anything at all,” Kariya snapped. “Even tough love takes energy and a sense of compassion.”

“So you’re saying you care for me now?”

“A little, so help me. You are a student of this school.” Kariya folded her arms. “Come to that, you’re the antihero poster child of my scholarship project…”

“Oh, great. What a connection…”

“In any case, that tone is one I used on Serané as well, quite a lot. I still do. For those who can’t show empathy any other way, a direct attack has some value. I’ve come this far with it.”

Kaname stared at her warily, momentarily disarmed by the admission. I’m not used to her acknowledging the fact that she has any weaknesses at all. It doesn’t feel right…

“But that’s not the point. You are feeling many things, that’s to be expected. If you weren’t, I’d call you a heartless bastard, which you are. Except for Momomi.”

“Don’t call her that,” Kaname protested weakly.

Kariya placed her hands on her knees and leaned forwards. “Even if you can’t find it in your timid little soul to speak to me, think about it. Pretending nothing’s changed is foolish, things have changed. You must acknowledge that before you can work towards a favourable outcome.”

Kaname shifted uneasily. “It’s not that big a deal, is it?”

“Perhaps it isn’t a problem. But I always prefer overreacting to blithely pretending nothing’s wrong, until it’s too late.”

Kaname looked at the floor. I don’t like it. I’ve never enjoyed being confronted by the truth. Denial always suited me just fine, thank you very much. But the problem is that never solved anything, when I think about it. Is there anything to worry about? Kariya must be overreacting…perhaps it makes her feel important. But I guess it can’t be helped. Kaname looked up, finding that Kariya had walked off and was looking at the flowers again. Presumably she’s giving me space to think… but I don’t like her looking at those. It’s a strange feeling, but they are mine. Even if I rejected her, that doesn’t mean I’m going to hand the symbol of her feelings over to the Etoiles. That would just be heartless, after she spent so much time and thought putting it together…To her surprise, her lips quirked into a smile. That was almost sweet, in a very Momomi way. Over-dramatising things and making everything more complicated than it needs to be, it’s totally her. What would I have done, if I was in her place? Freaked and got really nervous, for a start. I’m sure I wouldn’t have managed anything even half as romantic, but she’s always been the one that’s good with feelings and people and fluffy things. Kaname prodded herself in the stomach, looking down and sighing. But feelings aren’t necessarily fluffy, are they? I’m dodging the question like that…and I am shocked and I am surprised, but I guess it’s not upsetting, either. It… worries me, a little, no, a lot. Even if we say that things won’t change, they are just words and we both know things can be more complicated than that. I want to remain Momomi’s friend, so I’m a little scared that this will threaten that. What else? It’s… weird. It is a weird thought. But somehow, I’m not as disgusted as I thought I would be, to be an object of attraction to another woman. I can almost understand that. She snorted. I guess that’s rubbing off on me.

“Well?” Kariya demanded, never particularly patient.

“It’s fine,” Kaname replied. She expected some kind of retort, but Kariya just nodded her acceptance, making her bridle irritably. “What? You can finally accept that answer?”

“This time, you actually thought about it.”

Kaname snorted again, enjoying the release of frustration this represented. “You’re as nonsensical as ever…”

“How did you reply?”

“I told you, I turned her down-”

“With what words? Words are important.”

“I told her I was sorry,” Kaname replied.

Kariya touched her fingers against her nose again. “How eloquent of you…”

“So it wasn’t Shakespeare. You think I don’t know that?” Kaname leaned back, looking defensive. “I was taken by surprise, so it’s not like I had planned what I was going to say.”

“That doesn’t matter. Just thank her in the morning.”

“Thank her?” Kaname wrinkled her brow, trying to work that out. “Say what?”

“I don’t speak for anyone but myself, but I’m a chivalrous person, and I expect others to be so as well.” Kariya glared at her. “You’ve been paid the highest compliment a woman can receive, by a girl your age of grace, education and a young kind of beauty. I don’t know why she picked you, but that’s the way it is.”

“You say all that, but it’s still a little embarrassing…” Kaname sighed, waving away the Etoile’s hostile expression. “I take your point, already! I’ll thank her. I don’t quite get why, but I thank her.”

“Good. And remember, things will have changed.”

“How? In what way? You keep saying that, but-”

“I don’t know exactly. But the main one would be that she’s free to chase someone else now.”

Kaname laughed shortly. “You make her sound so fickle… Momomi’s not just some fangirl, you know, falling for one person then another. She’s not interested in normal people, either.”

“Presumptuous, aren’t you?” Kariya observed. “It might happen, all the same…”

Serané opened the door and stepped in, closing it quietly behind her.

“Well?” Kariya asked, instantly switching her attention to her partner.

“It’s as I thought, she’s in Tomori-san’s care. She was taking a shower when I came.” Serané shrugged. “I think it will be fine.”

Kariya sighed. “I wish I had your faith in her, Shizuru…

“Eccentric or not, she’s a good person. I think Kiyashiki-san trusts her, too. It’s the best way, I think.”

“Well, if you think so, that’s good enough for me.” Kariya turned to look at Kaname again. “That’ll do for tonight, Kenjou. Shoo.”

“Whatever.” Kaname folded her arms and looked defiant. “I’m not going anywhere until you help me move that vase.”

Onwards to Part 43


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction