Astraea Lake (part 32 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 31 Untitled Document

I feel bad about Rodrigo. I wrote a fanfiction aiming to provide depth for the one-dimension antagonists of Stopani, and ended up with a one-dimension antagonist who doesn't even have hot lesbian sex... his best defence is that he'd be a good man a hundred and fifty years ago, but even that doesn't hold water in light of the adultery thing. So I'm coming up with a plan of action for his character, but suggestions are welcome.


“For the last time, boy! You will get out there and see her again! That’s an order!”

Momomi winced. He’s shouting again. Wonderful timing.

“Such a well-balanced man,” Kaname muttered, making Momomi giggle.

Araldo’s reply was muffled, unsurprisingly, but Rodrigo’s words rang out loud and clear. “Enough! I told you before, this is a confirmed arrangement, confirmed and reaffirmed! I won’t accept some blather about her personality and her nonsense as being enough to get in the way of this. You two were born for these moments, Araldo! Accept it with dignity!”

Momomi sighed and ran on ahead, opening the door without asking. “And you did as much, father?”

Rodrigo turned on her, infuriated but without surprise. “That has nothing to do with this!”

“When you made a romantic marriage yourself… there should be limits to your hypocrisy.”

“Oh, so I made a romantic marriage… and we all know how well that turned out, now don’t we!”

Yukaho made a shocked sound. Momomi felt something in her snap and she stepped forwards, fury coursing through her veins. “That’s right! We all know how that turned out! And that’s all your bloody fault, so why the hell should we trust your recommendations for our marriages?”

Rodrigo stepped forwards instantly, eyes narrowed. Momomi instinctively stepped back, folding her arms over her body defensively. “Don’t you dare step in here and insult your own father about a matter that doesn’t concern you in company! Not a word more, or so help me god you will come to regret it!”

“Father, please… there’s a guest present,” Luigia said softly.

“And don’t you defend her all the time, either! You’ve been doing that far too much in recent times!” Rodrigo looked around the room, his face locked into a scowl. No one met his eyes. “I will have discipline in my family. I will not accept you saying anything you please and blackening the name of the Phareli in front of strangers. Is that implicitly understood?” He glared at Momomi. She glared back, then looked down. Finally, his gaze settled on Kaname. “You should leave.”

“Talkative, aren’t you?” Kaname quipped, meeting his gaze evenly.

“I don’t know why she’s chosen to grace us with her presence, but it has nothing to do with you. Please leave.”

Kaname stared at him for a few moments longer, arms folded, then stepped back when Momomi nodded slightly. “I’ll be outside. Bear that in mind.” She turned and closed the door behind her.

“Ridiculous,” Rodrigo growled, looking around. He was talking in Italian, presumably to exclude Kaname listening in. “This whole situation is ridiculous. I slave away for months, endless meetings, social functions, negotiation, all to find a fitting match for my nephew. And I find a pearl- a pearl- of a girl, an only heir of noble birth, excellent manners, great beauty and considerable wealth… in all matters, in every particular, a perfect example of flowering womanhood! And this is the thanks I get.” He glared at them all again, his gaze dominating the room.

Momomi scowled. What kind of idiot talks about flowering womanhood anyway? I mean, Christ, that’s worse than Victorian.

“I have suffered through a lot these past few days from you all,” Rodrigo continued. “But I’m at the end of my patience. I am the head of this family. I will not be contradicted by my wife, a nephew, and least of all my ungrateful, immature daughters. Mature twenty years and I will have time for your opinions.”

“Dear, please, the children only want to-”

“Shut up!”

Yukaho backed down instantly.

Rodrigo looked at them yet again. Momomi had forgotten this. Those few terrible moments when he breaks out from his shell of apathy and dominates a whole room like this. The head of the family, our master, a law unto himself. Respect him or suffer. I’d almost managed to drive that from my memory, but it’s my home life.

“Actually, I’m glad you’re here, Momomi, because it means I can lay things on the line,” Rodrigo barked. “I don’t know what kind of discipline they teach you in this school, but I will not accept your disrespect! I am your father and if you are not mature enough to show proper deference I will drag you home and beat it into you, just like my father did to me in my turn!”

Momomi felt rage explode inside her chest, a rising force that could so easily suffocate her. I swear, if I had a knife right now I’d stab him through and damn the consequences. Just like that bastard before him…when I moved with desperation and the knife plunged into him and he looked so shocked as he collapsed, blood seeping into the floor. That time, I was scared out of my mind and in tears. But I swear, I could kill my father and feel nothing but a vague sense of satisfaction. That’s just a stupid dream, though. In the real world, I can’t say a word. Because, impossibly, I need this man.

“Luigia, you’re the same. I’m very disappointed in you. She’s always been a bad influence on your behaviour, but that’s no excuse; your conduct of late has been atrocious, a disgrace to your status as heir to the Phareli.”

“I can only offer my deepest, most heartfelt apologies, father,” Luigia said, with just a hint of sarcasm. “If I offended you, it was only because I felt I needed to speak to defend the best interests of the family.”

“You are but a child, you have no right to speak so emphatically on those best interests. Bear that in mind!” But he appeared pleased with the reply all the same.

Yukaho smiled weakly. “Rodrigo, darling, do we have to-”

“Silence! I’m disciplining the children, Yukaho. You may not be able to do so but my God, I will.”

“Yes.”

“Now, Araldo!” Rodrigo turned his gaze onto an already trembling boy. “I am especially disappointed in you. The Diralna girl is a perfect match. Give me one flaw, one real flaw, in her! Don’t give me this guff about incompatible personalities, a man plays with the cards dealt him! You wouldn’t know the first thing about a relationship anyway.”

“Well, there’s one thing, father,” Araldo said shakily, taking a breath. “And even I know it could cause relationship problems.”

Rodrigo merely narrowed his eyes challengingly.

“She’s… she’s… I mean, she’s gay, father,” Araldo stammered. “However, you look at it-”

Rodrigo kicked the coffee table hard, jarring the glasses placed there. The boy fell silent instantly. “Not this nonsense again! I told you before, that isn't anything we have to worry about. The Diralna know and they agree with me! I’m sick of hearing about this blasted girl’s perversions as if they’re some kind of excuse!”

“But-”

“No buts!” Rodrigo drew himself up, then relaxed with a visible effort. “I understand your concern, boy, and it’s healthy. Any Christian gentleman should have doubts before dealing with such women. But there’s no reason to shun her for it. It is a phase she will grow out of, indeed you will help her out of it. With effort, the guidance and support of those who care about her, and a Christian marriage, I’ve no doubt that she’ll overcome that. I’d go so far as to say we’ve a duty to help her. And I’ve seen it before. Isn’t that right, Yukaho? Aren’t there cases like this?”

Yukaho nodded. “Most immediately was my nephew Gousuke. The poor boy had a very confused adolescence, just like Serané-chan, but when his parents brought him into a settled, proper relationship he became much better. They even have children now. He’s far from the only one I can think of off the top of my head.”

“See?” Rodrigo said triumphantly. “That’s your answer, do you see?”

Araldo frowned. “I don’t-”

“But you must be strong, Araldo.” Rodrigo folded his arms, apparently relaxing into his monologue phase. “Of course she’s going to present her feelings as legitimate, and she believes they are so. No one condemns her for it, she’s like someone with an illness. They may have very fixed ideas about themselves, but we know we have to press on and cure them.”

That word! That word! I win my bet! Momomi closed her eyes and bit her lip, trying to block out his words. If I don’t listen, I can keep my calm. Keep my calm and I have a chance of staying here and exploring my own feelings and self. Just hold on. Just this once.

“She’ll try and manipulate you, she’ll try and present you as an intrusion, she may even turn on you in anger and frustration, but you must press on regardless.” Rodrigo’s voice was brimming with absolute conviction. “And if she’s difficult, press on all the harder. Remember, she considers this Kariya her life partner, the poor child. If she’s faithful to that false love she’ll be true to you in due course, once you’ve won her over. That harder this is, the better this will be for you.”

“I know this is very hard, darling,” Yukaho said quietly. “And I feel for her as well, it’s a painful matter. But you have to understand this is for her own good. Her parents arranged this match precisely because they’re worried about her, and they’re counting on you to help her.”

Araldo made no reply.

Out of impotent disbelief, or out of doubt? Which, I wonder? Momomi scowled. No, it doesn’t matter. If you can’t take action intention is worthless. That’s what Olesa said, and it’s true of him right now. And of me.

“But like I said, boy, you have to be strong,” Rodrigo continued. “It’s for her own good, just like Yukaho said. If your resolve ever wavers, remember the teachings of Our Lord. More than that, remember simple common sense. However legitimate it looks, there cannot be a natural romantic love between girl and girl! It’s a sin against God and against nature, and I want you to remember both those things. But we’re Christian, Araldo, we forgive and ask for God’s forgiveness. That’s why I want you to do this, for her and for us and for you. Do you understand?”

“Even… even if you say that,” Araldo said. “I-”

“What?” Rodrigo sighed. “Araldo, please… I told you before. She’s a very disturbed girl and you need to be strong for her!”

“Stop it!”

Rodrigo’s head snapped round. “Luigia!”

“I won’t take it back!” And suddenly, Momomi’s sister was on her. “Whatever’s the case… whatever your beliefs… whatever the truth is… don’t say those things! Not in front of-”

“I’m telling the simple truth, Luigia! Don’t you dare contradict me!”

“And I’m telling your you’re wrong!” Luigia gritted her teeth, and this time she spoke in Japanese, to annoy her father. “Look, I don’t like homosexuality either, and I know it’s a sin. But more and more, I know, it won’t go away if we ignore it, and we can’t cure it. People have to bear that burden their whole lives and we should respect them!”

Rodrigo walked forwards, taking three swift steps, then slapped her so hard so almost fell over. “You’re hysterical! I won’t tolerate this kind of behaviour, Luigia!”

Luigia took a step back, a hand on her cheek, eyes wide with shock. “I just… I… I’m sorry,” she managed eventually. “But that’s what I believe. Serané-chan will have to live with herself her whole life. I’m praying for her to realise her sin and achieve God’s forgiveness, but she’ll always be like that. Forcing her into a loveless marriage won’t help at all, least of all before she’s acknowledged her sin.”

Rodrigo’s eyes narrowed. “I see… well, it’s a perspective. You’re too passionate, Luigia, but if that’s all I’ll consider this matter closed.”

“It’s not closed,” Luigia managed. “Because you haven’t taken your words back. I won’t let you call it an illness, and I won’t let you talk about a cure!”

“Why, you-” He slapped her again, making Yukaho gasp. He ignored the sound. “Impudent! Don’t be so stubborn! What’s a matter of semantics to you, anyway?”

“It’s not just semantics, it’s real people.” Luigia gave Momomi a beseeching glance, begging silently for her support, her explanation.

Don’t look at me with those eyes. Please don’t look at me with those eyes. Because I can’t say a word. I have something I have to do, so I can’t say a word. Momomi looked away, feeling sick to the stomach. You’re defending me again, but I can’t. I can’t fight. It’s at times like this when I really do hate the realities of this world.

“Well, in any case,” Rodrigo said, collecting himself slightly. “We can’t force her to do anything against her will. This is a modern age, after all.” He sounded like he vaguely resented both these facts. “But I expect you to press on all the same, Araldo. Understood?”

“That’s still-”

“Well?”

“Yes,” Araldo said miserably.

I recognise that look. It’s his puppy with a crushed foot look when someone’s run him over. Normally, I’d scoff or kick him verbally, but right now I’ve been even more of a walkover. It can’t be helped, can it, Araldo? This is the reality of the world. Momomi felt her fists clench to the point where she was hurting herself. We have to obey a mad tyrant absolutely because of an accident of biology.

“If he succeeds, he succeeds. If he fails, he fails. But it’s far too early for him to try and duck out on some mumbled half-excuses. And I still have faith that she can change.”

“I wish I could believe that,” Luigia whispered.

“We could have a bet on the outcome, actually. I’d put my money on Araldo curing her.”

“Darling, please!” Yukaho looked upset. “You’re being vulgar. You shouldn’t talk about those things in that way.”

“It was just a joke, woman,” Rodrigo said irritably. “I’m trying to lighten the tone, that’s all.”

“You could be a little more tasteful.”

“Well, that’s a settled matter. I want you to go to her again and have lunch with her.” Rodrigo frowned. “This really isn’t the environment, though, not with that Kariya brat running around and the whole ambience of the place. Perhaps us coming here was a mistake, as well. Ah, that’s it… you could offer to take her to the town.”

“I don’t think she’d accept, though.” Araldo looked at the floor in a depressed way.

“Have some confidence, boy. That’s the important thing. A man must have conviction. When you ask her, don’t stutter or mumble. Make it clear that you don’t even anticipate the possibility that she will reject you. You have to take the initiative, and take charge, it’s what women like in a man.”

“You should listen to this, Araldo,” Momomi said sarcastically. “He knows what he’s talking about.” Well, she couldn’t resist an opening like that.

“That reminds me,” Rodrigo said, turning to look at her casually.

Now he’s in his condescending mode, when he feels that he’s properly asserted his authority and he can afford to take some crap. In some ways I prefer it when he gets livid at my every word. “What?”

“I was wondering why you’d turned up here so early. Not just to butt into other people’s business, I presume?”

“Dear!”

“Well, the fact is, I had something to talk to you all about,” Momomi said awkwardly. She couldn’t meet his eyes and it was getting harder to force herself to do this. Well, at least I look sufficiently deferent. But I’m still as tired as hell by all this, and, I’ll admit it, a little intimidated as well.

“Then sit down. Let’s get this over with.”

She sat; he remained standing, of course, it was one of the ways he used to maintain the psychological advantage. Unsubtle but effective. “Well, you know, you were planning to withdraw me from this school… I was wondering whether you might want to reconsider that.”

“Oh?” He quirked his eyebrows and smiled slightly.

Playing with me, is it? You bastard. She closed her eyes briefly, collecting herself. “It may sound odd, but I’ve rather taken root here. I have good friends and I enjoy the club activities. I enjoy the culture here as well. The overall academic standard is excellent and I’d hate to have to leave after my time here.”

“Now, Momomi, we know all those things, but we still think it’s best if the family is back together. I don’t want us to become more distant.” Yukaho smiled the way she did, with a slight hint of worrisome doubt alongside her happiness.

“No, let’s hear her out. Was there anything else?”

“I appreciate mother’s concern, but I can visit during the summer holidays,” Momomi said. “And I do have friends here, like I said, who will probably be lost when I go regardless. That happened to one of my senpais here, and she was very saddened by it. I know the term fees aren’t cheap but I’ve been planning to sit the scholarship exam. If I get that, you won’t have to pay anything. Besides, it’s probably cheaper than private tutors.”

“I hope you don’t think that expense is my main concern in educating my children, Momomi. I want what is best for you, no matter the cost.”

“I know, father,” Momomi said, forcing a smile. “I just thought I’d be thorough about this. The school has a faultless reputation and long traditions, a very supportive environment, and many socially known peers. I know for a fact that some of the biggest names in Japanese aristocracy attend here, and it’s international as well.”

“That’s true enough,” Yukaho said. “Do you know anyone in particular, Momomi?”

“Oh, there’s Amane Ohtori in my year. She’s only a relative of the main family, but it’s still a valuable connection. Then there’s Shizuma Hanazono and Miyuki Rokujō, in the year above us, Juri Kawaguchi in third year, Serané Diralna and Kariya Nakano themselves above that, and the twins Wakiko and Wakako Enomoto in sixth year. Not to mention Kei Kurita and Sarah Walker in the year below me. And that’s just what you might call the A-list.”

“Impressive. Astraea hasn’t changed at all in that respect, it always has been a place for the social elite.” Yukaho nodded approvingly. “I made many valuable friends and acquaintances there myself.”

“So these are important people?” Rodrigo asked, momentarily disarmed. He’d never taken much interest in such things.

“These are the daughters of excellent families. All of them are as much as or even more prodigious than the Phareli.”

Rodrigo grunted, displeased with the very idea.

Momomi relished a slight sense of triumph. Thank you, the amazing stalker senpai. “That’s another reason to stay, isn’t it? I’m not the first child or anything like that, but I can make important contacts here. It’s more useful than keeping me cooped up and useless, another daughter to marry off.”

Rodrigo closed her eyes. “That’s true.”

“Right?”

“As far as it goes,” he finished, glancing at her.

Momomi frowned slightly. “As far as it goes?”

“Certainly it’s a better place for you to be for all that stuff, even I could see that,” Rodrigo said. “Your mother’s always taken more interest in it than me, of course. But all the same, I don’t intend to keep you here.”

“What? Why not?”

“I don’t like the ethos, it’s not suited for a noble daughter,” Rodrigo explained, as if this was the most natural objection in the world. “It’s undisciplined and your behaviour has become even worse since I sent you here, which was the exact opposite of my intention. And the Etoiles, supposed figureheads for the school, are even worse from that perspective.”

“We’re not undisciplined, it’s pretty harsh, actually. Besides, we learn independence as well as obedience. That’s for the best, isn’t it? Those Etoiles, both, they’re heirs to their families, so they have to be strong!”

“Well, you’re not a heir,” Rodrigo pointed out.

“That’s not the point!” Momomi bit her lip. “Isn’t it better if I’m able to stand and support the family and my sister on my own two feet, not rely on you all the time?”

“Again, that’s good as far as it goes, but it comes at the price of your poor behaviour, and an erosion of your family duty.” Rodrigo folded his arms. “I don’t blame you for that, sending you here might have been a mistake. But when you spent months away from your family at a time, it’s inevitable that bonds will weaken. You’ve forgotten your responsibilities.”

“What kind of family unity falls apart because I’m away for so much time in a year?” Momomi demanded. “I’m still loyal to the Phareli, and you, father. That hasn’t changed. I still love you all…”

“You’re a bad liar.” Rodrigo laughed gruffly. “Besides that, it’s inevitable for me to have concerns. Yukaho’s told me a lot about the position of Etoile and its importance, calling it a credit to Diralna-san. But it’s a disturbing thing when that goes to a deviant couple. I have no faith in the school’s leadership.”

“The Etoiles are democratically elected,” Momomi replied.

“Isn’t that even worse? Both that they were elected and that the Superior permitted it? This school has a terribly lax attitude.”

Momomi looked at the floor, her hair falling over her eyes for a moment. “So that’s it, is it?”

“I’m sure you understand.”

They warned me. That our agendas might end up conflicting with each other. As it is, though, neither of us are close to a resolution and I’m still screwed. “No, actually,” she said, her voice heavy. “I really don’t understand that at all.”

“In any case, it’s a settled matter, as far as I’m concerned. You’re going back to Italy with us. That’s a more proper place for you to be raised anyway, you’re not Japanese.”

“But-”

“No buts. This is settled.” Rodrigo turned away, glancing at Araldo again. “Now, boy, are you going to sit around all day, or-”

Momomi leapt to her feet, eyes wide with disbelief. “You can’t do this!”

“I damn well can! Don’t question my authority, girl!”

“Can’t you just listen to what I have to say?”

Rodrigo grunted in annoyance and turned to face her. “I’ve listened. I’m not interested. I’m not having my daughter attending a school where such unnatural practises are tolerated. They should have been stopped long since.”

“What do you know about that?” Momomi demanded, losing her cool. “What do you now about anything?”

“This is what I mean! Your impudence has only become worse!”

“I can’t care about that,” Momomi exclaimed. “All I care about is that I finally have friends here. The ones I care about. Things I like to do. People who will look after me and listen to me when I’m upset. It’s not always easy or welcoming or kind, but I trust my life here! And Kaname’s here! I won’t leave all that behind, because… I have a home here.”

Rodrigo snorted. “You only have one home, girl, and one family. That’s with us.”

She felt her anger well up in her, screaming for release. “I won’t dedicate my whole life to you. I won’t take your orders. I won’t let you tell me where my home is!”

“I am your father and you will respect that!”

“You have no right to say that!”

There was a ringing silence and then Rodrigo moved, the sharp, decisive way he did when someone was about to be slapped. Momomi stepped back but kept her eyes on him. Then she spoke in Japanese. “It doesn’t matter what I say, does it? You’ve already decided it all inside that thick skull of yours, thinking you control my life!”

“Momomi!” Yukaho exclaimed.

“Sister, you’re going too far,” Luigia said.

“No, I don’t care now,” Momomi spat, feeling everything she’d kept inside exploding out. “I’ll say it all, and I’ll lay it all on the line. Because this man is an egotistical prick who knows nothing about anything, and he’ll never let me do what I want to do. But you can’t stop me from saying what I damn well please!”

“Don’t count on it!” Rodrigo snapped, infuriated. “I’ll beat that into you.”

Momomi moved behind the sofa to provide her with some space. “That’s right, come and beat the crap out of me if you feel like it! I’m used to that! Beat me until I’m bleeding on the floor, just like before! But you have to shut me up because I’m contradicting your pathetic patriarchy! I could care less if you were my father! My god, but I wish I was born to anyone but you-”

He advanced on her, eyes blazing like coals. “So this is the thanks I get for trying to look after my pathetic second daughter. You’re a waste of space yourself, you don’t know the first thing about anything.”

“That’s my line! You’re so ignorant I don’t know where to begin!” Momomi raised her voice until she was making herself hoarse. “But I’ll start here… what you think about gays, you’re a fucking naïve narrow-minded bigoted twat who’s clueless beyond belief and thinks he’s absolutely right! Not because of any real reasons, but because you’re and because a stupid book about a God that doesn’t exist written thousands of years ago happens to spare a few sentences on it!”

“Momomi!” Yukaho snapped, shocked beyond belief. “Take that back! I won’t let you say those things in this family!”

“No, let her speak.” Rodrigo had passed through the heat of his anger and was now in the lagoon of cold rage. “She can say what she likes. I’ll beat every inch of her in proportion to her words now.”

“Well, I don’t fear you any more,” Momomi snapped. “Even if you hurt me, you won’t touch my mind, and the truths I know. You won’t get anywhere with Serané, and do you know why? She’s gay, through and through, and it won’t go away. She can’t love Araldo and she loves Kariya. Whatever it takes, however much it hurts her, she won’t bow to you or her own family alike. Not just for Kariya. Do you know why? That’s who she is. If you can’t accept that, she’ll just have to walk away, because it’s impossible to exist in a family that doesn’t accept your fundamental self.”

“You’re naïve at best, Momomi,” Rodrigo spat. “There’s nothing fundamental about some deviancy she’s taken upon herself at a whim! She’s a freak now but she’ll never have the courage or the will to stick to the course. That sickly emotion won’t keep her from the family who truly loves her!”

“Why can’t she defy her family? I can, I am and I will, and I don’t even have a sickly love, a love that’s far more true than anything you ever felt in your life!” Momomi folded her arms over her body, trying to stave off the tears. “But I’m the same as her! I don’t have any reason to hide it any more!”

“What are you blathering about?”

“She knows,” Momomi snapped, pointing at Luigia. “And Araldo can guess. Can’t you see it for yourself?”

Rodrigo glanced at Luigia, but she just looked at the floor, shoulders shaking. “What meaningless melodrama are you falling on now?”

“It’s not meaningless, it’s who I am. I’m gay too and that won’t change, not for you and not for anyone.”

“What are you saying?” Yukaho asked, looking horrified. “Momomi, you-”

“I’m saying I like girls,” Momomi said. “Now listen carefully, because I’ll only say this once. Ever since I’ve been aware, it’s been of girls, and ever since them I’ve watched them and dreamed of them, smiled at them and thought of them, the way another girl isn’t meant to. And now there’s a girl I like, I really like, and I want to learn to love her. I want to hold her hand and hug her and date her and even kiss her, I want to know her as well as myself, I want to be happy with her besides me. And perhaps one day I’ll want to share my bed with her. That’s who I am, that’s what I dream of.” She was crying now, she could feel it. “It won’t change, even if you hate me. So I’ll just hate you right back!”

“You’re lying,” Rodrigo said flatly.

Momomi laughed, even though his words where stabbing her in the chest. “Sorry. I’m not. This is how I am.”

“That’s you’d go this far to spite me… you really are disgusting.”

“There’s no spite, it’s not like I want this! I…” Momomi wiped her face distractedly, feeling the tears warm against her cheek. “If even sis is ashamed of me, it’s more than I can bear. But I’m like this, it won’t change, and I won’t be ashamed of myself. I won’t hate myself or lie for your convenience, father, you or anyone else.”

“I won’t permit that immorality in my own flesh and blood,” Rodrigo warned. “I tolerated the Diralna girl’s perversions because she’s been denied proper guidance, but I won’t let you be the same thing.”

“What are you going to do? Cure me? You think you have that godlike power?” Momomi managed a smile. “Or are you just going to beat me and beat me until I have no spirit left, and throw me to some guy when you’re through. I’ll pretend to be a perfect housewife, and suffer the pains of sleeping with him, even though I’ll never feel anything for him and he’ll gain more satisfaction than screwing a mattress. Like that? Is that the Christian way?”

“Little girls shouldn’t talk about things they don’t understand, least of all when they don’t understand themselves. I don’t know whether you think this is cool or rebellious or edgy and new or whatever, or whether you sincerely believe this crap, but I won’t have it my presence!”

“That’s fine! I’ll always be like this, so just send me from your presence. It’s been a long time since I could call you father.”

“How dare you-”

“But, you know, I can just do things your way!” Momomi said, cutting over him. She felt almost hysterical now and it was coming out in her voice. “I’ll pretend I’m a good Christian and take the beating and marry the guy, then I’ll go out and sleep with every hot girl I can lay my hands on! That’s what you do!”

“Shut up! You’ve gone too far this time, you little whore!” Rodrigo began to pull his belt off, glaring at her.

“The only difference is, I won’t get anyone pregnant. And I’ll try my hardest not to treat my good husband like a piece of shit to be taken for granted at best and beaten at the worst! I won’t beat my children, either! I’m a terrible person, you made me that, but I’m still better than you’ll ever be!”

Rodrigo walked forwards but suddenly Luigia was there, blocking his way. “That’s enough, father!” Her face was cold. “Don’t go any further!”

“You, too, Luigia? You disappoint me.”

“I won’t let you touch her. Because she’s right. She’s right! Serané, her, you, all of it!”

Rodrigo hit her across the face with his belt, drawing blood. “I can’t believe I spent sixteen years on you for this reward! You’re both disgraceful!”

Momomi backed away, fear wide in her eyes. “Sister, get out of the way! He’ll hurt you!”

Luigia turned to face her, blood dripping down her cheek. “Momomi, I’m not ashamed of you. You’re stronger than I’ll ever be.”

“She really does corrupt you,” Rodrigo said, sighing. “I thought you were a good and moral girl, Luigia, but it looks like you’ll tolerate any sinful babble if it comes from her lips. You spoil her.”

“You misunderstand her.”

He shoved her out of his way, walking towards Momomi, but she turned and grabbed his arm. He made to throw her off with his other hand, but someone else gripped it. He turned, snarling, to see Araldo looking up defiantly. “So this is where you show your true colours!”

“I won’t let you lay a hand on her, not here and now,” Araldo said, voice shaking slightly. “Because I’m… I’m what you taught me to be. A Christian gentleman. Please act that way too, uncle.”

“That’s enough, dear!” Yukaho shook her head. “This isn’t the place and time, so please, can we deal with this later?”

Rodrigo looked around and scowled deeply, knowing when he was beaten. He closed his eyes and took several breaths before he continued. “Alright, get off me. You’re right… this isn’t the place and time. But I will find that time.” He began to put his belt back on, then opened his eyes and looked at Momomi. “As for you… run back to your friends. Enjoy their company when you can.”

Momomi stated back evenly, despite the terror wracking her body. “You’re no father of mine.”

“And you’re no daughter of mine. But I’ll still take responsibility.”

There was nothing more to be said, so she turned and walked through the door. On the other side, she gasped and fell into Kaname’s arms.

Onwards to Part 33


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction