Astraea Lake (part 29 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 28 Untitled Document

“Well, please make yourselves comfortable. I’ll be back in a second.” Serané walked over to her wardrobe and opened it, sliding an assortment of casual clothes and coats to one side and taking out some large canvases.

“You keep your art in there?” Momomi asked, raising her eyebrows.

“Some of it. It has to go somewhere, and I don’t want it in the way. Besides, I don’t want it where it can be seen too easily.”

“I see…” Momomi took the chance to inspect her wardrobe, as well. Somehow, I find it impossible to imagine Serané in casual clothes, but it looks like she has some anyway. Of course, they’re modest and elegant, all the same. This is her, after all.

Serané passed out the first picture. “Here.”

Araldo took it and sat down, balancing it on his knees before placing it on the table. “That’s amazing,” he said. “I’m completely embarrassed by you.”

“You’re completely embarrassing me. I’m not that good, I’m afraid.”

Momomi stared at the picture. It showed the front of the Strawberry Dorms, perfectly captured with delicate pastel shades. Every detail had been captured, the windows, the soft creamy stone, the vines on the walls, the grass and the trees and the stone pathway leading straight forwards beneath a warm, bright sky. The only thing missing is the people. As something of an artist myself, I have to admit, this is truly exquisite. I’m damned if I’m telling her that, though. “It’s very beautiful. How long did this take you?”

“A long time, I’m not sure exactly. I did that one in fourth year, when I didn’t have the duties of Etoile.”

“But your modesty aside, this is incredible. You’re wonderful with detail. And you leave this in the back of a wardrobe!” Araldo sounded almost accusing.

“You do me too much credit… I picked an easy subject, so I can’t be very proud of that picture. There are others.” Serané passed out several more full-colour paintings, the greenhouse’s interior, the lonely elm in the middle of the forest clearing, light reflecting off Astraea’s lake, the Church. Each was beautiful, complex and seemingly complete.

“You’re a master of landscapes,” Momomi admitted, despite herself.

“Of landscapes, yes. But I’m very bad with people. That’s why this is my favourite, even though it’s not as good as I wish and feel it could be.” Serané pulled out one more picture. This one was wrapped in a protective cloth, which she unfolded and placed gently aside. Finally, she handed it to Araldo.

It was a picture of Kariya, sitting on a chair, with her arms folded in her lap, staring boldly at the viewer as if daring them to laugh. The interior of their room was fully realised around her, but she was emphasised most of all, dressed in all the finery of her Miator uniform, down to the crinkles in her green necktie and the slight folds in her gloves. Her eyes blazed with passion and energy, a force that ran through her despite her demure clothes and posture. Her red hair was coiled tightly into her ponytail, falling behind her head and catching the light. Everything, from the height to the sharp, aquiline face to the shape of her body to the firm set of her shoulders was captured, screaming Kariya. It’s… a wonderful picture, Momomi reflected. Incredibly true to life. I wonder how many hours she sat for this. I can accept Serané being a patient, conscientious artist, but for Kariya to do the same is incredible. To sacrifice yourself a little to accept another person’s hobby, isn’t that part of love?

“It’s wonderful.” Araldo stared at it, taking in every detail. “You’re truly very talented…”

Serané sat opposite him. “I’m not, though. You’re too kind.”

“False modesty aside, I’m fairly strong at painting myself,” Araldo said. “But you’re far beyond me. Like this, you could be a professional portrait artist.”

“Even if I have some talent, it’s not for that. Like I said, I’m weak with people.” Serané sighed. “I had to practise hard to improve to a decent level when I was working on this. That’s why it’s my treasure, because it represents the most of my effort.”

Araldo nodded. “So you went this far… for Kariya?”

“I shouldn’t think so… she wasn’t a willing sitter, she merely tolerated it.” Serané smiled. “She certainly wouldn’t request something like this.”

“That’s not what I meant. When you paint, you paint something beautiful that you want to capture, am I right?”

“You make it sound so dramatic, but I suppose you are right. I just draw pretty things.”

“Perhaps you’re different,” Araldo said. “But that’s how it is for me. When I’m compelled to capture a beautiful thing, I draw and paint. She’s very beautiful, isn’t she?”

Serané nodded solemnly. “Absolutely so. That’s why I painted this, you’re right. And it does frustrate especially, because I’m still doing her injustice.”

“I don’t think any portrait of her could be good enough for you,” Araldo said quietly. “Am I right?”

“I think so. I can capture every one of her qualities, if I work my hardest and try my best, but I can’t capture life.” Serané glanced at him. “You know, that’s why I want to be with her always. Nothing can compare to her presence.”

Araldo stared at the portrait to avoid making eye contact. “I think I understand…”

Momomi rolled her eyes then returned her attention to the wardrobe. “There’s another canvas in there, isn’t there?”

“I’m not showing you that, Momomi-chan, so don’t get too excited. There are some pictures that are best left hidden. But I’ll get out my sketchbooks, as well. Perhaps you’ll have a more realistic perspective of my abilities when you see the hard work required to obtain those finished products.” Serané stood and rummaged through again, coming back with six assorted sketchbooks. “Here. Feel free to look through them as you like.”

Momomi picked up one at random and flicked through it to see various scenes from nature, large and small. It rather reminded her of her own preoccupation with garden scenes, but as expected, Serané’s loosest doodles were still far more impressive than many of her half-serious attempts. Well, she has quite an age advantage. I’ll catch up with her in the fullness of time. She glanced sidelong at the wardrobe, and saw that several sketchbooks had been left in there as well. I wonder what’s in there… sketches so bad she’s embarrassed to show them? Of course, because this is Serané, they’re probably still amazing.

“Impressive as ever.”

Momomi looked up and saw with wry amusement that he’d picked up a sketchbook dedicated to people. Well, there were some other people, but Kariya definitely appeared to command a majority of appearances. “Still drawing beautiful things, I see.”

“My, my… when Momomi-chan says it, it sounds so dreadfully sarcastic.” Serané smiled sweetly. “She’s right, all the same.”

“So pencils and paint is your materials?” Araldo asked, still flicking through the book. “You have a very traditional style.”

Serané nodded. “I’m not comfortable with more modern methods. Even if it’s more difficult in some ways, I prefer doing things like this. Perhaps I’m just reactionary, but it’s a comforting thing.”

“No, I agree completely. Art doesn’t have to rush ahead and change, in my opinion. To be so wonderful with traditional methods, that shows a lot of dedication and skill.”

“Keen, aren’t you?” Momomi teased. “Do you want to be her art student, cousin?”

Araldo closed the sketchbook with a snap. “Serané-san, do you mind if I touch on a personal matter?”

Serané gave him an odd glance. “Please, feel free.”

“Why are you always lying to me?”

“Sorry? Lying to you?”

Araldo rolled his eyes. “Don’t screw with me, I’m not blind. You’re talking to me now like I’m a real person, but before, you’re always just playing with me. Me and my family alike, you just lie through your teeth.”

“So you noticed,” Serané said lightly. “But don’t expect an apology for that.”

“Why that? What did I do to deserve that?” Araldo snorted. “Do you really hate me that much? Is it some kind of punishment? Or have I just been typecast and screwed over because of the marriage thing?”

“Well, it’s nothing personal, I’d have done this to any suitor.”

“Look, I know you hate the idea of marrying me. I get that already. No, it’s true to say that you had no intention of going through with it from the start. But couldn’t you have been honest with me? Wouldn’t that have been the decent thing to do?”

“You say it is if it would be so easy, and for you, it would,” Serané said. “But, you see, I was stupid enough to be honest, and tell my parents why I can’t accept this marriage or any other. They refuse to believe me, and you’re the same anyway. When people can’t accept the truth I have to lie.”

“Truth or not is beside the point,” Araldo said. “The only important truth is that you don’t want to marry me, right? Just tell everyone that, and it’s over. And you won’t screw with my feelings so much, either.”

“Ironically enough, I was trying to spare your feelings, like this,” Serané said. “I thought that rather than rejecting you outright, I’d be able to make you hate me and reject me yourself. I can’t say that’s worked, though.”

“It only works for as long as I let myself be fooled,” Araldo said. “But I saw past it, and then I’m only even more offended. I still don’t get it. It’s not like my feelings are the most important thing to you here, we both know that.”

“I suppose so. You’re right, it was selfishness again. But if I just reject you, now my parents know my reasons, I’ll be blamed. I’m very selfish, Araldo-kun. I don’t want to lose anything. Is that so strange?”

Araldo sighed. “You love Kariya-san, don’t you?”

Serané blinked, appearing to consider this. “Of course. But in what way are you making that statement?”

“I don’t mean the love of a friend or a sister or family member,” Araldo said. “Romantic love.”

“You’re right. That’s the sense of my love for Kari-chan.” Serané closed her eyes. “Can you accept that?”

“Before, I would have laughed. Momomi… I suppose she made me reconsider things, just a little. At the very least, she proved that people can believe in that.”

Serané quirked her eyebrows. “I see.”

“But like I said, I’m not blind or stupid. This is the true you, not the act you put on… I noticed this before, but when you’re in this room you don’t pretend. You’re yourself here.”

Momomi put her sketchbook down, unheeded, and walked off, pottering about the shelves and looking at Serané’s manga collection.

“Then I suppose I do owe you an apology for misleading you. But you’re right. This is the real me.”

“Well, it wasn’t too hard to discover the connection between the two of you. You didn’t hide it, exactly. But you did hide yourself.”

“The hope was that you’d find me too flippant.” Serané smiled at him. “After all, Kari-chan says I have a naturally charming personality, so I had to be careful.”

“Well, I found the whole thing weird. I still do.” Araldo looked at her. “But… it’s a lot of things, none of which have anything to do with your acting. I don’t know quite how to describe it, except to say that I’m not stupid. But once I’ve moved past the fact that you’re both girls, I can tell.”

“Really?”

“It’s a nebulous thing… the way you look at each other, the way you stay close to each other, the way you say each other’s names, nicknames, the way you talk… even the pictures…” Araldo shrugged. “Even if I can’t understand it, I can recognise it for what it is. Genuine emotion.”

“I’m mildly impressed. I had expected you to be an implacable bigot.”

Momomi moved on, looking at the pictures. They were, while never totally incriminating, circumstantial evidence in themselves. She was sure that Serané kept a photo album hidden somewhere, so she started to look for it.

Araldo winced. “I can’t say I find it usual, or anything I’m comfortable with. But I’m smart enough to know that if it’s important to you, my opinions won’t matter.”

Serané sighed softly. “Well, I suppose I’ll have to settle for that. As you have probably worked out by now, I’m afraid I don’t have any interest in you. Ideally, I want to shoot down all such arrangements and spend my future with Kariya.”

“You might outgrow this, you know. It might not work out. And if that happens-”

“If that happens, I will still be able to live without regrets, knowing that I followed my heart,” Serané said bluntly. “That may be a cliché, but it’s still true. If I give Kariya up now, I will never be able to forgive myself. I have thought of these things, you know.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I don’t know what the future holds, and I can’t guarantee that things will be perfect between us forever. I know that life isn’t such an easy thing. But… I’ve spent three years trying and I want to carry on like that, I want to find the future together with her. Because I love Kari-chan.”

No sign of that album. Now, where’s it hiding? Do I want to find it, I wonder? It might contain dirty pictures…that doesn’t seem like Serané, but it just might be an interest of hers, all the same. Oh, well. The wardrobe, perhaps?

Araldo smiled weakly. “It really would have been easier for me if you’d said that on the first day, you know.”

“I suppose so. But would you have believed me, or accepted those words? More to the point, what do you intend to do now?”

“I wish I could be the person to save you from what you are,” Araldo said. “But that’s not possible. You don’t want to be saved, and I don’t think I’d be the one anyway.”

“There’s nothing to be saved from, and nothing to be ashamed of,” Serané said firmly. “And I’m not just saying that for myself. As Etoile, I’m responsible for hundreds of young students. If I couldn’t say that much, I would have no right to lead them.”

Araldo just nodded. “I understand… and I’ll tell my father to cancel the whole thing. He’ll be furious, but I think I’m better placed than you to state as much.”

“That’s more than I had dared hope for.”

Araldo chuckled. “Don’t thank me, on so many levels. For one, it would take a stronger man than me to marry someone who will hate me for it.”

“That’s a good point.”

“Besides, I have this sense that your Kariya would kill me.”

Momomi looked around the base of the wardrobe without finding any photo albums. But her eyes did settle on the one full-scale picture that Serané hadn’t shown off. Is this one actually half-decent as opposed to brilliant? Well, whatever. If she doesn’t want me to see it, that’s reason enough.

Serané laughed. “You make her sound so vicious… she wouldn’t be so cruel.”

“Well, all that talk of kendo made me feel very weak, you know,” Araldo replied. “Forgive me for being intimidated.”

Momomi pulled it out and took off the dust cloth. “Aha- eh…”

Serané looked round and put a hand over her eyes. “My, my, Kiyashiki. It’s not polite go through people’s stuff without their permission.”

“Well, suffice to say I’m sorry.”

Araldo stood, leaning forwards. “Let me see!”

Momomi held it up, laughing when he blushed and looked away. “It’s artistic, at least.” She rolled out of the wardrobe and balanced the picture on her knees, looking down at it more carefully. This time, Kariya was in bed, naked and swathed in white sheets. She faced away, looking demurely over her shoulders with a softer expression than usual. Her hair was untied and fell down her bare back in a crimson wave. But there was something surprising, as well. “Tattoos,” she noted softly, touching the picture.

“Irezumi,” Serané corrected. “It’s a traditional Japanese method.”

The tattoo covered most of her back, cast in bright colours against her white skin. It’s another chance to marvel at Serané’s attention to detail, but this is a strange circumstance for it. Just how well does she know Kariya’s back? No, don’t answer that… “A dragon fighting a woman with a spear, right?”

“A naginata,” Serané corrected. “It’s not finished and won’t be for several years, even with Kariya making trips every weekend. She’s skipping this week, of course.”

“You mean she really has this on her back?” Momomi asked, startled.

“I don’t have the artistic vision to make it up,” Serané said lightly. “So, yes. Surprised?”

Momomi opened her mouth to say something, then paused for a moment, thinking. “I guess I really haven’t ever seen her outside that oh-so-proper uniform.”

“Of course,” Serané teased. “That’s my prerogative.”

“But why does she have something like that? She never struck me as the type…”

“It’s a tradition of her family, and a proof of dedication to them.”

“Really?”

“It’s a little like me, actually. She wants both her family and me. I hope that’s not impossible.” Serané smiled. “All the same, I’d appreciate it if you didn’t spread this around. It’s not necessary.”

Momomi considered this. “Ah. Okay.”

Araldo had overcome his shock, and was staring at the portrait with interest. “It’s beautiful. I never thought I’d see Kariya-san looking so… gentle.”

“Don’t get too enthusiastic,” Serané said, cocking her head and looking at him with amused eyes. “She’s all mine, you know.”

“You won’t let me forget that, will you?”

“She’ll attest, I’m a twitchingly jealous person.”

Momomi looked at it again herself, moving her attention away from the tattoo and onto the face. He has a point. When she looks like that, it’s hard to describe, but there’s a very soft warm feeling. It’s not something you’d expect to see from the cold, hard Kariya. But I guess even she warms when she’s like this…Somewhere in her mind she wondered whether Kaname could ever look the same way, and her mind was quickly flooded with disturbingly lurid images. Yeah, right, as if Kaname would ever look so vulnerable. Its not like she’s very secure, but she wouldn’t let down her barriers like that, not even for love. It’s frustrating, in a way, she’s almost untouchable, not because she wants to be, but because that’s the way she is…Momomi sighed. But I’m not kidding anyone anyway. I’d love to see her look like this, if I’m honest with myself, but it’s not going to happen. In the same way that it’s impossible for Serané to fall for Araldo. I know all that, so I shouldn’t indulge in lovesick thoughts. It’s just immature. Wait, lovesick… ugh, do I want to go that far, even in my thoughts? For all I know, this is what people dismiss with a superior smile as “infatuation”. It’s all so unclear.

Somehow they got through the morning, looking at Serané’s sketches and discussing drawing and a hundred other things. Momomi was content to let the other two do most of the talking, drifting off herself and wasting yet more time thinking about things she’d analysed far too much, for far too long, before, and still coming up with no answers but more uncomfortable questions. She was getting used to that process. I know that the best course is to do nothing. So why do I keep brooding about this? Knowing the right thing to do is useless if you can’t follow it with all your heart. But if I feel this many doubts, does that mean it’s the wrong thing to do? What are the alternatives, though…better doubts than regrets surely? Momomi sighed, cutting herself off. Enough. I’ve been through this too many times already. But she kept thinking in the same way anyway, and it annoyed her. Serané and Araldo actually got on quite well, better than Momomi had ever seen them before. Which is slightly ironic, when I think about it. But I guess they understand each other now. Because they both know and want this to stop at “friendly acquaintance”, they can be comfortable with each other. That much makes sense, and it’s a little unlike…no, screw it. Not that again. And they practised drawing portraits together, Momomi sketching Serané idly and wondering whether she could persuade Kaname to sit for her. But that reminded her of Serané’s sketches of Kariya, and that annoyed her as well. Does everything have to come back to this? For God’s sake…She bit her lip and sighed, accustomed but not comfortable with the current cyclic rictus of her thoughts. This is going to drive me insane. Undoubtedly. At this rate, they’ll need me to room in a padded place with a uniform so straight-laced you can’t move your arms, for my own sake.

“Kiyashiki?”

“Yes?” Momomi asked absently, stopping by the door. Araldo had already gone to see her father, and she wanted to see Kaname, so she gave the Etoile a slightly impatient glare. “What is it?”

“It appears that I owe you some thanks,” Serané said. “It sounds that Araldo-kun… well, perhaps acceptance is too strong a term, but he’s given up, which suits me just fine.”

“When you say that, it sounds so harsh,” Momomi noted.

“Well, Kariya’s always told me that love can be very vicious. It’s an exclusive, possessive kind of emotion. This is the same.”

“Hmm? And does Serané think that, to?”

Serané cocked her head, considering the question. “I suppose I do agree, all in all. I’m disappointing a lot of people and hurting him, like this…”

Momomi snorted. “But not, I think, as much as if you went ahead with the marriage anyway, feeling as you do.”

“You’re probably right. But the other thing is, are you fine, Kiyashiki-san?”

“What? Why wouldn’t I be?”

“You seemed a little distant there,” Serané said. “And you weren’t as talkative as you usually are. I was wondering whether you had something on your mind.”

“Well, of course I do,” Momomi replied. “I mean, I have two days to perform the miracle of gaining my father’s consent to stay at this dump. That’s pretty damned stressful in itself.”

“I suppose it is,” Serané said. “Just remember, Kiyashiki-san, if you ever want to just talk things over, feel free to come to me. I won’t laugh at you or tell anyone else, and I’m always ready to listen.” She smiled. “You may not credit it, but I may even have good advice for you.”

“You say confidential, but you’d tell Kariya anyway,” Momomi pointed out. “She’s not so kind.”

“I suppose I would, but you’re probably going to tell everything to Kenjou-san, right?” Serané looked amused. “That’s the way it goes, and I’m glad of it. It’s important that you can talk to her, if not me.”

“Ah.”

“Well, if you change your mind, you know where to find me. Good luck, Kiyashiki-san.”

“I don’t need it.” Momomi opened the door again, and was almost run over by the red-haired tempest.

“I’m back,” Kariya said abruptly.

“Welcome back. How was it? You look a little vexed, Kari-chan.”

“Let’s just say that if I had my blade to hand, we wouldn’t have anything but red roses.”

“Oh, my. That bad?”

“Yeah. The master and I had a little heart-to-heart… I can’t say I enjoyed it, but it did make things clear.”

“You’re as direct as ever, Kariya.”

“This way gets results.”

“In any case, I had a little talk with Araldo-kun. It appears that he understands things, and is going to cancel the arrangement.”

“Really? You mean he’s not another fricking homophobe? God, it pisses me off that we’re forced to even admit that kind of person to our school…”

“They’re people, too, Kari-chan, even if they don’t like us. But it’s not that he’s not against that, as far as I can tell, he just knows that he won’t be able to change anything. I guess I’m grateful for even this little understanding.”

“So it’s settled?”

“It’s settled, I think, yes.”

“Thank God… keeping my temper in check was getting to me.”

Serané laughed at the abrupt change in tone. Well, it was more of a giggle. “I’m sure, Kari-chan. Sit down, though. You look exhausted, I’ll get you some tea…”

Momomi pushed herself off the wall outside their room and walked away, deciding that they probably deserved to be alone. But it annoyed her, for some reason, when they sounded like that. Now she was feeling even more grumpy for lunch. She walked through the corridors, resenting the happy faces of the students she passed, their idle chatter and casual elegance and complete ignorance of the real world. It was also so annoying. I guess part of what I said really was true…this is pushing me to the breaking point, and fraying my nerves to little pieces. School, homework, the literature club, the Church, Kaname and most importantly my parents, it’s far too much, too fast, for me to cope. So now I’m just generally pissed off at everything, and most of all at myself. It’s not exactly enjoyable to feel this rotten and twisted.

“So, you finally arrived.”

“It’s not my fault Serané held me back with her damnfool advice,” Momomi snapped.

“Ooh,” Kaname said sarcastically. “Very scary. I’d better run for cover.”

“Shut up and queue.” Momomi sighed, trying to check her temper. “What happened your end, anyway? Kariya was hacked off about something…”

Kaname laughed. “Her and your father got into a row. Well, it wasn’t shouting, really, more cold anger. I’m impressed. Your dad can face off against her like that without flinching. I’m sure most grown men would burst into tears or run in terror after a while.”

“Well, I guess that does explain a lot,” Momomi said. “Where are they all, anyway?”

“They’re eating in their room today,” Kaname said. “The old man wasn’t best pleased when Kariya contradicted him. Actually, that’s another thing he said, all about how he’s going to complain to everyone from the Superior to her father.”

Momomi laughed at the thought. “Good luck to him with that, because he really will need it. Was there anything else? I guess you can tell me the details later.”

“Nothing in particular… I had another little chat with your sister.” Kaname folded her arms. “I’m not quite sure whether I like her or hate her, but I’m sure it’s one of those two.”

Momomi giggled. “Knowing you, probably both. You’re not very secure with any positive feelings that aren’t counter-balanced by some negatives.”

“Nah, that just goes for you, who alternates being interesting and annoying so freely.”

“So I’m unique to you, is it? I’m very flattered.”

“You’re uniquely annoying, more or less. Stringing me along with your interesting aspects is just a way to ensure the net annoyance is higher than if you completely drove me away in one, as far as I can tell.”

Momomi considered this. “Hmm… I could live with that. I’m sure you could make a case for every relationship being like that, really.”

“In that case, you aren’t unique, are you?”

“Well, even then, I’m still pretty sure that there’s only one of me.”

“A someone who makes being annoying a sublime art form.”

“If that’s the case, I’m the same as you, your soulmate,” Momomi teased. “Because I learn from the best, which is you. At least I go out of my way to play with you, but you can irk me just by being your grumpy old self.”

“Pah. You’re as cheeky as ever.”

“And you’re still a grumpy man.”

“So, where are we gonna eat?” Kaname asked, picking up her bento. “The elm again?”

“I’m a little tired,” Momomi said. “How about our room?”

“Our room? You know, we’re in there far more than is good for us as it is.”

“I know, but just this once?”

“Alright, alright. I’ll go along with you before you try and look cute and persuasive.”

“As if I’d do that for you.” Momomi smiled and grabbed her arm. “Come on, let’s go.”

“Alright, alright, no need to drag me…”

I enjoy this far too much. “I’ve no time for your drowsy, lethargic walk today.”

“At least I know where I’m going when I walk. Anyway, what happened with you three? Did you enjoy yourselves?”

Momomi explained her side of things briefly.

Kaname snorted. “You know, it sounds like Araldo might have a chance after all.”

“Say what? You know, even if I haven’t made it clear, Serané completely shot him down.”

“No, what I meant is that he has no balls after all.”

Momomi laughed. “That’s just typical of you and your vulgar way of thinking… what would you have done?”

“I’m not sure,” Kaname said. “Well, I think I’d have read the writing on the wall and accepted it sooner. But with more style than that, certainly.”

“Of course. And if you were my father?”

“I’d have discovered whether a sixth-Dan kendo practitioner is any good without a sword.” Kaname stuck her hands in her pockets. “That’s better odds than trying to grind her down with cold anger. It’s like in all those fantasy games where you attack something with its own aspect… you just won’t beat her that way, she feeds off of it.”

“I guess I know what you mean, but no one told him that.”

“Well, he should have done more research. He doesn’t know enough about the Etoiles… I mean, he didn’t know about them at all. And everyone here knows. It’s hardly a secret.”

“I guess we are better organised, at the end of the day.”

Momomi pushed open the door and sat on her bed, turning in time to watch Kaname’s trademark slumping descent. “Are you actually going to eat like that?”

“Of course,” Kaname said, opening her bento. “A foreigner like you wouldn’t understand, but for a native like me eating while lying down is simple.”

Momomi smirked. “Is that why you just dropped rice everywhere?”

“I’m warming up, that’s all,” Kaname said defensively, chasing up the lost food. “Give me a little time, already.”

Momomi started on her own lunch, sitting in a more normal position. “But, what’s with the tattoos? You know anything about that?”

“Hmm? Oh, that, I remember… describe them to me.”

“Well, I didn’t see it in person, just Serané’s drawing,” Momomi said. “But it was this really big thing on her back. A woman in a kimono was standing on a rock, using a spear- Serané said naginata- to ward off this big serpent-like dragon thing twisting around her. It was very big and bright and multicoloured. Serané said it was incomplete, and it’d take years… she called it irezumi, or something.”

“Ah. I see.” Kaname closed her eyes. “Well, even now, a proper tattoo of that kind has criminal connotations.”

“But why would Kariya-sama have something like that, of all things?”

Kaname sighed, opening her eyes again and glancing impatiently at her friend. “What I was trying to imply is that she’s probably yakuza.”

“You what?”

“That would make her the daughter of an Oyabun, in charge of Kariya’s group. That doesn’t sound too surprising to me. The tattoo would be part of that. I’ve seen plenty of similar ones myself.”

“Don’t sound so casual! You mean Kariya’s a gangster?”

“It’s only a theory,” Kaname said warningly.

“Well, it would be easy enough to find out, surely?” Momomi asked.

Kaname just shook her head. “No point.”

“Why?”

She glared. “Well, what does it matter? If she is, or if she isn’t? She’s Kariya-sama, that’s all that matters, right?”

“You’re right, I guess,” Momomi said. “It’s interesting, though.”

“Well, I’m the same. Maybe my father didn’t own half a city but he was yakuza too, albeit the lowest kind. But I could care less. I’m not going to be defined by my parents.” Kaname swallowed some more rice, chewing philosophically. “If she’s having the tattoo done, she wants to be taken seriously. But she has Serané as well. Those two really do try and have everything in life.”

“It’s a pretty admirable attitude,” Momomi said. “Somehow.”

“It’s how we live too, so it can’t be great. Take everything, spare nothing.” Kaname picked up a piece of egg and ate it. “But it doesn’t matter where you came from, if you live like that.”

“You’re right. When I look at it, it’s not like my background’s any better.” Momomi sighed. “Messed up people, aren’t we?”

“Well, yeah. But we don’t have to be like this. That’s just our choice.” Kaname laughed suddenly. “Actually, it would be pretty funny if I’m completely wrong, and she just likes traditional tattoos. I doubt we’ll ever know for sure.”

“You’re right.” Momomi stood and walked over to Kaname, sitting on her bed. “Now sit up and eat properly. I have a lot of dreaded fish that I can’t face, so I need you to get rid of it.”

“Alright, alright. All your damn orders…” Kaname sat up, yawning hugely.

Momomi took the chance to pop food into her mouth. “Got you.”

“That’s cheating,” Kaname spluttered, coming close to choking.

“Yeah. But I don’t have to be like this. This is just my choice.”

“Forget umeboshi, girl, I’m going to make you eat your words!”

“Ohh, scary Kaname,” Momomi teased, smiling. It’s a little annoying, how fast she cheers me up. But that’s also just the way it is. I can live with it.

Onwards to Part 30


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction