Astraea Lake (part 28 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 27 Untitled Document

Apologies if the protagonists appear a little sidelined this chapter. I think it's necessary to give the Etoiles their moments as well, and this is an arc I want to explore. KanaMomo would probably have to deal with it in their turn as well, though they might be a bit more direct...


“Good morning to you all,” Serané said pleasantly, bowing. “Sorry I’m late again… we got a little caught up and lost track of time…” She brushed her ruffled hair with her free hand in embarrassment.

“Ah,” Rodrigo grunted, giving her a strange look.

“In any case, this is a week-end day, after all,” Kariya said, sitting down. “The morning lessons are less important, so we obtained permission to miss them. There’s no lack of time.”

“That’s good.” Yukaho smiled. “Then in the afternoon it’s club activities, right? What do you do?”

“I lead the kendo club,” Kariya said briefly. “Something I’ve done ever since I was a child. I’m sixth-Dan, but my training’s currently less intense than it was before because I’m busy with Shiz- Serané. Being an Etoile is sometimes an arduous duty.”

“So I’ve heard.” Rodrigo leaned back in his chair. “And you, Diralna?”

“I’m nowhere near as talented as Kari-chan,” Serané said, cocking her head and gazing ardently at her partner. “You should see her when she’s doing her kendo, she’s amazing. She’s so strong…”

“That’s enough, Serané,” Kariya replied. “It’s embarrassing. I’m afraid I’m not that good, not even as good as I’d like to be.”

“I see.” Yukaho smiled politely. “That does sound very interesting. Perhaps you could show us at some point?”

“That would be fine by me, at any point during our club. I don’t intend to show off, though. That would be irresponsible, when my duty is to lead the other students.” Kariya folded her arms, adopting her typical rigid posture. “Really, my success should be measured by that of my pupils.”

“But they do very well, too, Kari-chan. You’re too modest.”

“I’m not perfect, Serané, far from it. At tournaments as well-”

“You always do very well at tournaments, so don’t say that either… it annoys me when my really talented Kari-chan pretends she’s not amazing.”

Kariya flushed red. “Serané… you’re embarrassing me…”

Blushing Kariya and fangirl Serané…I feel sick. These two are far scarier than Momomi and Olesa. Kaname glanced at Araldo and forgave them slightly; his current face, approximately as if someone was driving rusty nails into his chest, was priceless. For once I bemoan my lack of Shion’s stalker talents, notably the ability to whip out my phone and take a picture in two seconds. This should be recorded so I can show it my grandchildren.

Yukaho coughed, interrupting the festival of ardent love. “And you, Serané? What do you do?”

“Oh, I’m not as good,” Serané replied seriously. “I just write poems for the literature club, paint for the art club and help Kari-chan tend to the Etoile greenhouse. That’s always enjoyable.”

“Those are nice hobbies.” Yukaho smiled encouragingly. “You paint too, don’t you, Araldo?”

“A little, yeah,” the boy said, sounding embarrassed. “I’m not very good, but it’s a diverting pastime. Perhaps you can show me your pictures at some point.”

“They’re not very good. I’d hate to show them to a stranger…”

“Well, I can make it up to you, by showing you mine some time,” Araldo managed, looking crestfallen.

“Hmm… I guess so. But you must promise not to laugh, okay?”

“Sure. It’s a promise.” He smiled encouragingly at her.

“What else do I like…” Serané mused, looking at her hands. “Well, I like going shopping with Kari-chan, especially for lingerie-”

Kariya kicked her under the table, giving her a reproachful glare.

“I tend to get carried away when shopping, though,” Serané continued. “I end up spending far too much money… I’m lucky Kari-chan’s here to talk some sense into me.”

“You’re good friends, aren’t you?” Yukaho said politely.

“Oh, of course,” Serané said, linking arms with her “friend”. “I’m very fond of Kari-chan.”

“Well, someone has to look after her,” Kariya added evasively, looking down at the table.

“Tell me, Nakano-san,” Luigia said. “You live in Kariya, isn’t that right?”

“That’s right. It would be a little embarrassing, being named after my home city… but my father said it was because he owned that city, so I’d inherit it. That’s a gross exaggeration, but I appreciate the sentiment.”

“And you have a mansion there?”

“Well, truthfully it’s more of an office block,” Kariya said. “One of the taller buildings in the inner city. It acts as my father’s business headquarters, but also has substantial residential features on the upper floors. We’re a very modern family.”

“Kari-chan’s home is amazing,” Serané said. “I’ve been there. It’s all posh and western and high-tech on the lower floors, but the upper area is traditional Japanese, with impressive bedrooms. Kari-chan looks amazing when she’s sitting there by her father in a kimono…”

“That’s interesting,” Yukaho said. “The mix of old and new, yes? When I was young, I always felt that was my country through. It doesn’t sound like that’s changed.”

“You’re right,” Kariya said. “Moving into a modern world while trying to keep hold of our past traditions, that’s the difficult thing. It’s something my family engages in freely. We have our own important traditions, but we also have to be practical in a changing world.”

“That’s a problem affecting people everywhere,” Yukaho said. “Old families are dying everywhere. I suppose that’s why you’re here, the ones who have done well with the times.”

“You flatter us,” Kariya said. “But we have over two-hundred years of tradition in our field, which in itself is four hundred years old. Our origins are as deep and noble as anyone else’s.”

“Your family sounds quite impressive,” Luigia said.

“Thank you. I’ve always been interested by the European families, though…” Kariya smiled. “Serané’s family in particular. Their mansion is beautiful and their traditions fine, it’s been a pleasure to stay there the few times that I’ve gone.”

“So you’ve visited the Diralna family, then?” Luigia asked.

“They’re pleasant people,” Kariya said. “My stays with them were regretfully short, but I enjoyed the time.”

“And I’ve visited Kariya’s family, too,” Serané added. “They can be a little scary, but I have a lot of respect for them. We’ve made it a little tradition of ours, to alternate visiting families in summer. I’ll be going to her family this year.”

“You should come visit our home at some point,” Yukaho suggested. “It’s only fair, since you’re being a gracious host here.”

“That’s a wonderful idea!” Serané said enthusiastically. “Isn’t it, Kari-chan? You could see another European family’s mansion!”

“I would enjoy that,” Kariya said, smiling. “I’ve heard some wonderful things about the Phareli estate.”

“Well, it’s quite attractive,” Yukaho managed, looking a little bemused. “It took a while for me to get used to it, from Japan but living in such a totally western house…”

“My wife wasn’t asking whether the Etoiles of Astraea would like to come and stay at our house,” Rodrigo said bluntly. “She was asking whether Araldo’s fiancée would like to stay.”

“Dear!”

“Araldo-kun’s fiancée?” Serané asked, wrinkling her perfect brow.

“That would be you.”

“Oh, so that’s your mistake,” she said sweetly. “You’d confused me, you see, because you said fiancée… but I’m not engaged to him. Certainly, I don’t recall giving my consent to such a thing.” Her words were melodic and calm, but there was a steel in them that had been entirely absent throughout her cute-girl act.

“That’s a semantic point,” Rodrigo said. “It was an invitation to you, in deference to an arrangement made.”

“That arrangement is provision at best,” Serané pointed out. “But I’ve never really followed such boring things… all the same, though, I’d be a little worried to go to your home without Kari-chan. To be in the same house as Araldo-kun, with such an arrangement in mind, it’s embarrassing.”

“That’s rude, Serané,” Kariya chided.

“Nothing inappropriate would happen between us,” Araldo said, sounding slightly offended. “You have my word.”

“All the same…” Serané whispered, fluttering her eyelashes. “It worries me.”

“She’s traditionally minded,” Kariya said by way of explanation. “Forgive her-”

Rodrigo snorted. “Is it traditionally minded to-”

“Sorry?”

“Nothing.”

“But it’s not really that, exactly,” Serané said, blushing and looking at the table. “I’ve just got used to having Kari-chan around, and I’m not strong or brave like her myself… so it would be a little scary to have to go to a whole new house without her.”

“You can’t stay with her for all your life,” Luigia pointed out.

“Friends, family and lovers all manage something that’s, if not that, close enough.” Momomi glared at her sister and spoke up for the first time. “I’m sure they’ll manage.”

“It might not be easy, but I will definitely try my best to be with Serané, whenever she needs me,” Kariya said. “That’s my responsibility.”

“All the same, is it sensible to grow up holding on to such a friendship?” Rodrigo asked. “That could be dangerously childish.”

“Just because something began in childhood, there’s no need to leave it behind,” Serané said. “Family, for example. You can part company with your family in adulthood, but it’s not a good idea. Even if you start your own family.” She closed her eyes. “In the same way, Kari-chan is important family to me.”

“How about you, Kariya-chan?” Yukaho inquired. “Does your family have any plans for you? A handsome girl like you must surely have many suitors…”

“Oh, my father hasn’t raised anything like that with me,” Kariya said. “He respects me too much as his daughter to use me as a common bargaining chip.”

“That’s wonderful. What are his future plans for you, though?”

“He wants me to take over his business, if that’s possible,” Kariya said. “I’m not sure I’m equal to the burden of his office, though, and it would be very unorthodox in itself. It’s not a traditionally hereditary position, and the company has an entrenched patriarchal heritage. It could be difficult for me to realise his expectations.”

“That must be hard for you,” Luigia said sympathetically.

“It is, but also encouraging,” Kariya said. “His faith is flattering… likewise, I’m aware that in fullness of time he may expect me to make a convenient marriage, if I agree to it.”

“Really?”

“I intend to oppose him on that, of course,” Kariya said boldly. “He may speak of family duty, but before that he’s imbued me with his own values, to be strong, independent and reliant on my own authority. A marriage against my will would jeopardise that, and they are important to me.”

“I understand the importance of independence,” Yukaho said politely. “But there’s a lot to be said for arranged marriage as well… not one where you are compelled, of course, that would be meaningless, but one with the advice of your mature family.”

“Before we carry on with that line of thought, refresh my memory,” Momomi said. “Was your marriage arranged, mother?”

“That’s not the point,” Rodrigo grunted. “It’s still a good point.”

“So, are you admitting that you made a mistake?”

“You’re as impudent as ever. Stay out of this. Perhaps you’ll have something to bring to this kind of conversation in three years time.”

“Dear!” Yukaho said, sounding shocked.

“That’s a fact.”

“You’re being a little unfair, father,” Luigia said. “She was asking a question, not arguing with you.”

Yukaho raised a hand before her husband could reply. “Shall we leave things here?”

“Ah,” Rodrigo said, glaring at his daughters. “But all the same, children can easily make stupid mistakes in the heat of the moment. It would be foolish to dismiss their advice.”

Kariya narrowed her eyes. “I’m sorry. But it would be impossible for me to accept any partner my parents are likely to suggest.”

“Do you have to be so sweeping with that?” Yukaho asked, smiling weakly. “I’m sure your parents would be said to hear that their opinions are worse than none.”

“It’s not a matter that can be changed,” Kariya said simply.

“I’ve always had reservations about arranged marriage myself,” Serané said. “I don’t know Araldo-kun very well at all, and he doesn’t know me… are you sure that you want me to be your new daughter, knowing so little about me?”

“You’d always be welcome to join our family. Isn’t that right?” Yukaho coughed when her husband just grunted. “But we have plenty of time to get to know you better.”

“I understand that. But I still do not think I am someone able to make Araldo-kun happy.”

“Don’t say that yet,” Araldo said. “We’ve barely met, and I do enjoy your company.”

“Of course. Araldo-kun is a good friend.” Serané cocked her head, abashed. “But I’m not convinced we would be suitable for each other. Under the circumstances, it’s impossible.”

“Don’t say that so soon,” Yukaho said encouragingly. “There’s no need to come to any decision in a short space of time…”

“That’s not it.”

“In any case, we’ve lingered for rather too long over this breakfast,” Yukaho said. “Why don’t you show Araldo-kun your pictures, Serané-chan? There’s no need to be shy.”

Serané nodded, standing. “That’s a good idea.”

“And perhaps you could show us the greenhouse, Kariya-san,” Luigia said. “I was very impressed by that.”

Kariya nodded. “If that’s what you want, then fine.”

“So, shall we go?” Serané said. “Araldo-kun? Momomi-chan?”

“Me?” Momomi asked stupidly.

“You’re interested in art as well, aren’t you?” Serané beamed down at her with a wonderful false sincerity. “Won’t our conversation be more interesting if there’s two of you to laugh at my terrible work?”

“Ah… you’re right,” Momomi said. “I’d love to hear some of your advice, as well.”

“I’m so bad, I’m sure I’ll be the one asking you for advice.” Serané was already walking away, Momomi close on her heels. Araldo trailed after them both, looking crestfallen.

Kariya gave them all a triumphant look. “That’s just so much false modesty, she’s very good, actually,” she said conversationally. “So it’s a bit hypocritical of her to accuse me of over-humbleness about my kendo.”

“Is that so?” Luigia said. “I suppose it’s just common courtesy.”

“Perhaps, but it can be a little annoying.” Kariya shrugged the subject away. “In any case, I’m showing you all the greenhouse, yes?”

“Of course,” Yukaho said, while Rodrigo made a doubtful noise.

“It’s a very wonderful building, actually,” Kariya said. “Pretty, peaceful, warm, and ideal for private conversation. I like going there with Serané, but I’ll also enjoy showing you.”

Kaname smirked as they left the room, heading for the greenhouse. This is way too much fun. I’d try and help out, but I’d be wasting my breath. Between their movement left, right and centre in conversation and the family’s constitutional inability to confront them over a certain word beginning with g, the Etoiles have them completely screwed over. I almost feel sorry for that idiot Araldo, but not quite. This is the way the world is; it’s impossible to make everyone you like, like you. It’s a hard, cold truth. Perhaps some people need it hammered home to them, but I know that already. It’s just logical. She remembered Momomi and her “cute girl”. I wonder whether it will be like that for her…that’s definitely something to remember. For the one time in thirty that bastard suffers like this, she’ll suffer twenty-nine times. Well, perhaps not in this school, but generally. Now that is a genuinely harsh truth. But I do want Momomi to be happy…at the same time, it would be annoying if she started spending time with a girlfriend instead of me. Shion, Olesa and Amiki are bad enough, I’m not sure I could stand it if Momomi actually was with someone else more than me. She’s my only friend, after all. But that is a pretty selfish attitude. Isn’t supporting her the proper thing to do? That sounds cooler out loud, though, and I’m sure it would annoy me really. Somehow the whole idea frustrates me…I guess I still find it weird. But I don’t tell her that. She doesn’t need to be hurt any more than she already has.

She’d dropped behind, having little interest in the trite conversation that was being bandied about, her hands in her pockets as she looked thoughtfully at the floor. So she was surprised when Luigia slipped back and fell into step with her.

“Hey.”

“Hi.” Kaname gave her a cursory glance then turned away again, her face hostile.

Luigia smiled. “I wanted to thank you for yesterday.”

“I didn’t do anything yesterday. That was a matter between the two of you.”

“Exactly. That’s something I’m grateful for. You were very tactful, and I appreciate it. I’m also glad that you’re protecting and supporting my sister.”

“I’d do that with or without your approval,” Kaname said. “It’s something I do for myself, more than for you, or even for her.”

“I know. That’s why I’m so glad for her.”

“Ha. Philosophical, aren’t you?” Kaname glared at her. “Just because Momomi has forgiven you, that doesn’t mean I have, though. Personally, I find your opinions obnoxious and self-evidently ridiculous. I’ll tolerate it for her sake, not yours.”

“Of course. I wouldn’t expect anything else. But her opinions might not necessarily be yours. You let her do most of the talking.”

“Don’t expect the support of the silent majority. My opinions are far closer to hers than they are for yours.”

“I know. I’m just making an observation.”

“In any case,” Kaname said. “I don’t feel that I owe you anything, so I’m free to warn you. If you make Momomi unhappy, I’ll make you pay for that.”

“And vice versa.” Luigia smiled. “I think we both want to be her protector… but it’s probably impossible for me to do that now, so I’m counting on you.”

“I know. But even if you say that, it’s probably to make yourself feel better. And it’s the same for me.” Kaname glanced at her with crimson eyes. “Momomi can look after herself, and she even takes it on herself to look after me. If anything, I wish she made me worry a little more.”

“You’d like to feel needed by her?”

“Nothing so Freudian,” Kaname snapped. “I just want to repay the debts I owe her. No more, no less.”

“Ah…” Luigia looked at the floor for the moment. “Can ask you a personal question, Kenjou-san?”

“Go ahead.”

“Yesterday, my sister made a confession about herself that you’ll remember,” Luigia whispered, glancing briefly at her father. “How does that relate to you?”

Kaname snorted. “Do we have to talk about that?”

“If you’re uncomfortable in doing so, then I won’t force you to reply.”

Kaname look around, trying not to show her discomfort with that topic. “I’m… normal. Not like her.”

“I see.”

“So don’t worry. I’m not the dirty dyke stealing your sister, or anything weird like that.”

Luigia smiled. “Very well. Though if that was to happen, I think there could be worse people than you. I don’t know you very well, but I feel I can trust you with her.”

Kaname blushed furiously at the thought. “Where’s all this come from? I thought you were against- all that.”

“I am, and I continue to be. But I must be realistic.” Luigia sighed. “My sister will do what she considers natural… I hope it will not hurt her.”

“There’s as much chance of that as there is if she was any teenager starting a relationship,” Kaname pointed out.

“You mean the odds are close to one?” Luigia teased.

Kaname considered this. “I suppose so. But I’ll be here. If she does anything stupid I’ll be the one to beat sense into her.”

“I’m glad to hear of that. By the way… is there anyone who Momomi sees that way? Or am I getting ahead of myself?”

Kaname closed her eyes, remembering their conversation the day before. “No one,” she lied. She wasn’t sure why. Probably just to reassure Luigia, but what did it matter. “So don’t worry.”

“Ah. Touching on another, slightly related, topic,” Luigia said, “I wouldn’t be mistaken in saying that the Etoiles are being a little obstructionistic, would I?”

“Of course they are. They have nothing to lose, except Serané’s family… but their love, their freedom and their pride, those are all at stake.” Kaname shrugged. “Only an idiot wouldn’t fight.”

“That’s the thing about emotions. It doesn’t matter if they’re real or not, which is something very hard to define, they just have to be real enough. In this case, that’s true for them.”

“Momomi’s trying to help them.”

“Because they’re helping her?”

“In part. But she also has an emotional stake in their outcome. Looking at them, she probably sees what might become of her.”

“I hope that doesn’t come to pass,” Luigia said vaguely.

“In any case, none of you are going to win against those two. I don’t like them very much, but I do know that. They’re far too strong and smart for it, and unlike you, they have an uninhibited resolve, which is always an advantage.”

“I don’t think this matter is concluded yet.” Luigia sighed. “Actually, it almost works in my favour if Araldo is dumped. But I don’t fancy facing the duty of the heir myself.”

“What would you do? If they suggested an arranged marriage for you?”

“I don’t know,” Luigia said. “It’s never seemed close to happening, so I haven’t thought much about it.”

“In denial?”

“I’ll think about it when I need to. Worrying about it before then is pointless.”

“Worrying would provide you with a much-needed sense of perspective.”

Luigia laughed. “Perhaps you’re right.”

“Oi! Kenjou! You shouldn’t fall too far behind. I don’t trust you out of my sight.”

“Yes, Etoile-sama,” Kaname replied sarcastically, refusing to alter her pace.

“And take your hands out of your pockets. We have standards, you know.”

Kaname just rolled her eyes.

Kariya turned and opened the door to the greenhouse, holding it open while the others stepped past her. “Kiyashiki-san probably showed you this place before… I don’t like it that much, but Serané does, and we work together to maintain it. That’s one of the duties of the Etoiles.”

“It’s a beautiful place,” Luigia said enthusiastically. “Do you take care of it all yourselves? That must be difficult.”

“Well, technically there are some sixth year assistants who help us out and cover us when we can’t make it. But we’re expected to lead and do most of the work. It’s one of the better aspects of the duty, I suppose.”

“What do you do exactly, though? Momomi gave you some incredible qualities in her letters, but I’ve never been clear on that.”

“We’re the Etoiles, selected to provide an example for the schools, beyond everything else,” Kariya explained. “We represent the school when guests come here, and we provide a high standard for the other students. We look after the students as best we can and arbitrate between the three schools. We’re personally responsible for a lot of what happens here. And we have to do dull paperwork, as well. That’s about it.”

“All that? For two ordinary students?”

“That’s the way it is. It’s not too hard, if you really put your mind to it.”

“For someone like you, perhaps,” Kaname muttered.

“It’s got nothing to do with me, except perhaps my determination. Even you could do this job, Kenjou, though you’d set a terrible example for the others.”

Kaname laughed at the thought. “Me as Etoile… you don’t know me very well, do you?”

“Say what you like, but popularity is the simplest of the qualities required.” Kariya shrugged. “It can be obtained fairly easily.”

“Again, that’s easy for you to say. But inclination is a more fundamental stumbling block for me.”

Kaname looked around as the group fell into silence. Aside from the warmth, she didn’t particularly like it. I’ve never been interested in flowers and things, so I certainly don’t see the point of this place. It’s more like Momomi’s kind of thing, only she doesn’t like it much either. She said it was far too artificial, too forced and made and beside the point. Putting nature in the bars isn’t going to relieve us from our culture. Something like that. I can’t see it, myself, but she was firm when she said that. I wonder what it feels like, when you can be moved to happiness or annoyance by mere flowers. Is that charming or stupid? The others had stopped ahead, so she stopped by one of the flowerpots, staring down at what was inside. “Roses? That’s a bit unusual, isn’t it?”

“Serané likes roses,” Kariya said, her voice a little softer than normal. “So she persuaded me to help her grow a lot of them. They’re in all colours, but she likes the red ones most of all.”

“They’re beautiful,” Luigia said.

“I’ve always found roses a vaguely disturbing flower,” Kaname narrated. “They’re beautiful, certainly, with the silky, coloured petals and the striking green stem, but they’re still marked by razor thorns, just hidden beneath the surface. If you’re too casual, you’ll cut yourself.”

“An impressive metaphor for the nature of love or the transience of life’s pleasures or somesuch, to be sure,” Kariya said.

“No need for sarcasm.”

“Who said I was being sarcastic?”

“It’s probable.”

“Perhaps.”

“Red roses.” Luigia smiled. “Do you let students use these?”

Kariya nodded. “When they’re ready for cutting, anyway. That’s really Serané’s business. She tries to arrange it so they’re finished growing on certain days. I can’t see the point, myself. But it makes her happy, so I help her.”

“How beautiful,” Kaname muttered, still feeling irritable.

“It doesn’t matter what you think. You may well be coming to us for these flowers before we leave.”

“Nakano-san, can we talk?” Rodrigo’s arms were folded, his attitude impatient.

“In a serious manner?” Kariya asked, turning on him with cold eyes.

“In such a manner, yes.”

She nodded. “I think that is for the best.”

“Dear, are you sure this is the best way?” Yukaho asked.

“If it makes you feel better, I’ll go first.” Kariya glared.

Yukaho sighed and nodded. “Very well. You two, can you give us a few minutes?”

Kaname closed her eyes stubbornly. “I’m not going anywhere, and it would be hard to force me.”

“Please,” Yukaho said. “It’s for your own good…”

“I’ll be the judge of my own good.”

“You’re as obstinate as ever, Kenjou.” Kariya snorted. “Do what you please, I won’t stop you. But don’t interfere. This is between us.”

“I won’t interfere until I have to. But I won’t commit myself to silence, either.”

“I’m the same,” Luigia said. “As a family member, this does concern me.”

“Very well.” Rodrigo ignored the two younger girls, locking eyes with Kariya.

“So, what is it you want to say?” Kariya had one hand resting lightly on her hip, while the other simply stayed by her side. Her head was slightly cocked, eyes sharp and focused, ostensibly giving him her full attention. But there was an edge, too, the tilt of her chin and the set of her shoulders, that radiated a silent challenge.

“What is your relationship with Serané Diralna?” Rodrigo asked.

“You’re pretty blunt,” Kariya noted.

“Don’t dodge a simple question.”

Kariya closed her eyes for a moment. “So that’s how you do things… I approve, because it’s my way too. I can speak freely, then.” She opened her eyes, staring him down. “I’ve been a friend to her since our second year, girlfriend in our third, lover by our fourth and Etoiles together since the start of this year. I love her and she loves me. That’s my relationship with Serané Diralna.”

“So you really are deviants.”

“The only deviant thing is your attitude, which should have died out a long time ago. But traditions die hard. You’re living proof of that.”

Rodrigo snorted. “We’re people of Christian faith, unlike yourself. If too many people have forgotten that your behaviour is against God’s will, that’s no concern of mine.”

“If we argue on those terms, there’ll be so much empty rhetoric. It’s not important.” Kariya tilted her head upwards slightly, gazing down from her slight height advantage. “But don’t misunderstand. We’re not confused or stupid or anything like that. Our emotions, our love, it’s as strong as yours, whether you can accept that or not.”

“Even if you continue to labour under that delusion, it makes no difference. Your love doesn’t mean anything in this world.” Rodrigo raised his voice slightly, talking in fast, clipped sentences. This was the steel behind his boyish façade. “Serané’s world is not one where you will be accepted. She must fulfil her duty as the only child of the Diralna, and marry appropriately. If you persist in clinging to her, you will only destroy her reputation and her life. Selfish, unnatural feelings won’t help her at all.”

“You’re pretty bold, considering you don’t know her. But I speak to her every day, and I know what she wants, and I know what she fears. I have made it my business to know that.” Kariya snorted. “That’s why I’d never accept this marriage. To hand my beloved to a bigoted, ignorant and arrogant person such as yourself, who regards her as nothing but a means to an end and doesn’t care about her own feelings… I’ve no intention of doing that. I’ve met street trash who would make better father-in-laws than you. They know what love is.”

“Unfortunately, your opinion’s irrelevant,” Rodrigo replied. “Completely so. No one of importance will recognise your fiery rhetoric, because you mean nothing at all. This is a matter to be settled between the Phareli and the Diralna, mature adults who aren’t swayed by your diseased mindsets. We are the mature adults, and we’re the ones who know what is best for Serané.”

“Don’t you dare call her by her first time,” Kariya spat. “You don’t have any right to do that.”

“And you have the right to tell me that?”

“You can only address her like that if she gives you permission,” Kariya said, slightly more calmly. “She has not, and she would not, and you haven’t asked. And there’s one person who my opinion matters to: that’s her. You don’t count her, because she’s not important.”

“She’s already proved herself unable to make rational judgements.”

“That’s just a convenient lie for you. I admire it.” Kariya took a step forwards, her eyes steady. “If something doesn’t suit you, you’ll stick your head in the ground and ignore it. But to be able to instantly dismiss the opinions of ten percent of the world’s population, that’s truly impressive.”

“It’s the arrogance of youth to presume to know everything in this world. One day, if you’re lucky, you’ll look at yourself at this point in time and shudder. But that’s not important. I told you before, your opinion means nothing. You’re the one in denial about that.” Rodrigo scowled at her, brown eyes intense. “This is the will of the Phareli and the Diralna. You have no place here. You are deliberately obstructing our actions and I will not accept it. I will make that, and many other things, clear to the faculty of this school and your parents alike.”

“Feel free, they’ll both ignore you. But don’t go see my father in person. For your own good. And I could care less if you think I’m an irrelevance, I’ll oppose you all the same. You said yourself, I’m in your way.”

“There should be a limit to the impetuosity of youth. I will have to show you that.”

“Let’s not let this degenerate into a matter of threats. That’s something I’m too used to and I find it deadly dull. Excuse the pun. So let’s get this over with.” Kariya flicked a strand of long red hair over her shoulder. “I’m in love with her and I don’t intend to give her up. She doesn’t want anything to do with you and I’ll support her in that. Nothing you can say or do will change those inconvenient facts.”

“I hate you and everything you stand for, but at least you talk straight.” Rodrigo gave her a contemptuous glare. “If you persist in clinging to your childish dreams beyond their time, I’ll be forced to take them from you. I’m from a real world far crueller than the comfortable delusions of this school and your so-called love alike.”

“You definitely don’t live in the real world, if you don’t realise that not everyone is a convenient part of your narrow-minded vision. But that’s irrelevant. I think we understand each other.”

“That’s right.”

Kariya nodded as if this was a routine matter. “Was there anything else?”

“It looks like there’s nothing more to be said.”

“Then let’s continue the tour. I still need to show you the geraniums.”

“Very well.”

Onwards to Part 29


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction