Astraea Lake (part 20 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 19 Untitled Document

“But you really wouldn’t believe her, that Shion… not only the crime show thing, but files on a bunch of the students here, from all the age groups. I was there, and you, and Olesa and Amiki, and the Etoiles, obviously, and Amane, and so many more. It’s seriously creepy. You’re right, she really is the stalker of Spica.”

“I wish I could say that I’m surprised. But I don’t think I can. I always suspected that girl, she’s way too weird.”

“I think you’re just being suspicious,” Momomi said. “You’re the one who’s jealous of the others, right? You said so in the letter.”

“Well, yeah. But that’s something else entirely. In this, she’s just suspicious. I mean, she stalks us and takes far too much interest in us, and she knows far too much about us, too. Plus she has that big forehead of hers.”

“What’s that got to do with anything?” Momomi asked, giggling.

“Well, I’ve never been able to trust people like that. They’re too smart for their own good, you know, or they look like that anyway.”

“Well, you’re practicality a dictionary definition of too smart for your own good, yourself,” Momomi said. “I’ve always been amazed that you can be so smart and yet so dumb.”

“I’m smart enough to make my own good. That’s the difference. But with that forehead, for her, it’s something else. Perhaps it’s the lack of hair covering her over-smart skull, which makes it look like she’s flaunting her intelligence rather than keeping it locked away inside like me and other decent honest people. And because she flaunts it physically, she’ll also like to show off, and smart people showing off leads to all sorts of difficult things. So that’s why I don’t trust people with big foreheads.”

“You haven’t fooled me at all,” Momomi teased. “You made that up on the spot, I can tell, and it was pretty good for something ad libbed, too. But really your forehead would show if you didn’t have that weird fringe that comes dangerous close to hiding your eyes.”

“You know, I’m aware that hypocrisy has become a mutually sensitive issue for the two of us, but there are limits. Your eyes are within a whisker of being subsumed beneath a wave of brown curls as well.”

Momomi frowned. “My hair’s naturally straight, in case you haven’t noticed.”

“Well, my way was more dramatic. A wave of brown straights… what kind of sense does that make? There needs to be a more natural opposite to the phrase curls of hair, don’t you think?”

“I can’t honestly say I’ve ever given it much thought,” Momomi said. “Then again, that probably goes for you as well, doesn’t it?”

When Kaname just gave her a mock-offended look, Momomi smiled and shrugged. “Well, the semantics of hair aside, Shion says that she only puts important and interesting people on her files. I suppose we should be flattered, in a twisted sort of way.”

“Not really,” Kaname said, folding her hands behind her head and looking up at the sky again. “We’re both shoe-ins for something like that, isn’t it obvious?”

“Well, even though we’re smart and all, we don’t exactly do much, now do we?” Momomi said reasonably. “We just sit around in our room all day and vegetate, and despite that, we don’t actually do our homework until the last minute most of the time. Under those circumstances I’m both flattered and slightly disturbed that she was able to spot what she calls our potential.”

“A diamond is a diamond, whether it needs to be cut or not. It only takes some patience, effort and skill to regrade it into something exquisite, a burning star on earth, because the potential’s always there beneath the surface, just waiting for the right hands to let it out. I suspect Shion fancies herself as the right hands. And of course, we’re also like diamonds because we have a sharp cutting edge and are almost unbreakable.”

“You say this after we moped and complained and got petulant and did also sorts of stupid things as a result of a single row,” Momomi said, smiling. “Wasn’t one of our lessons for the day the fact that neither of us is invincible?”

“Of course, but that’s perfect too,” Kaname said, yawning between words. “That’s to say, the only thing that can scratch a diamond is another diamond. That’s us, because we can cut each other but no one else can even touch us.”

“And, like diamonds, we need each other to regrade ourselves and bring out the shine.” Momomi cocked her head playfully, glancing at the other girl.

“Exactly. Diamonds are special stones, in a class of their own, even when they’re in rock. But the original point of the metaphor was diamond and coal. However you look at it, a diamond is dirty when you’re handed it but it can be made to shine. But a coal will always be a lump of black dust.”

“Technically, if coal is subject to sufficient heat and pressure I’m pretty sure it can become a diamond.”

“Well, that’s true of people as well. If you push them hard and intensely, you can make an ordinary person shine. But that takes a lot of effort.”

“Your metaphors are surprisingly robust,” Momomi mused. “Though that seems to have more to do with the flexibility of language and wordplay than any forwards planning.”

“It’s a natural talent of mine,” Kaname said. “One of the facets of a diamond.”

Momomi smiled at that, imitating her friend’s posture and watching the sky. But it wasn’t long before she twisted her head to look at Kaname’s face again, the same as ever. That seems to be the way it works. She’s the cool one who looks into the distance, and I’m the one who sees her whole in here and now. It’s a little ironic, I suppose, considering that’s about the opposite of what we’re like as personalities. She remembered and checked her watch. “We should probably go and have breakfast. Lessons begin in ten minutes.”

Kaname made a noncommittal noise.

“Well, personally I could care less.” I guess it’s always down to me to say the things that she wants to say for her. I could get used to that. “So we can stay here if you like. What’s the first period of the day here and there?”

“You’re right. Sounds good to me.”

“I’m glad.” Momomi glanced at her friend again, her eyes glittering with amusement. “It’s only Geography for me, anyway. Nothing important.”

“This school is so casual. I guess that suits me just fine, though. Tell me, though, how many names did Shion have on her list?”

“About a hundred, maybe,” Momomi said. “Give or take, I didn’t get to see too clearly. Mostly from Spica, but with a few from Miator and Lulim.”

“Lulim? There are notables from Lulim? News to me.”

“Now, now, Kaname,” Momomi chided. “Someone has to form the paper aeroplane club, the puppet society and the cosplay association. They play a vital role as part of the whole.”

“Yeah, of course,” Kaname replied. “But do you actually know any of their names?”

Momomi frowned. “Well… not offhand. But Shion probably does.”

“All the same, to make a list of around a hundred in a school of around one-thousand six hundred and twenty is pretty good going,” Kaname said, closing her eyes. “That’s all of Astraea, of course. But Shion has a good eye for the important things.”

“Of course, she may just have an interest in eccentrics.”

“Well, that’s true as well,” Kaname conceded. “But I’d rather be eccentric than boring.”

“Then I can only assume you’re very happy with yourself as you are.”

“That’s a slightly suspicious compliment… you do like those.”

“Oh, and I managed to sneak-peak the password Shion placed on her folder,” Momomi said. “She really should be more careful. It’s McBain, which I found somewhat memorable. I’m sure that has a hidden meaning and I don’t want to know what it is. If she’s stupid enough to use that for the password she’ll inevitably add to her account, as well, all the better for us.”

“She might have changed it after you left. I might not like forehead-senpai, but she isn’t stupid. I wouldn’t put it past her.”

“Of course. And of course we’d have to get into her room and onto her laptop while she wasn’t around, too. It’s more a point of curiosity than anything we can immediately use.”

“You’re as crafty as ever, though.I’ll have to remember to be careful around you.”

“Of course, but you’re just the same. That’s what makes things interesting.”

“Again with the backhand compliments.”

“I didn’t intend anything backhanded about that,” Momomi huffed. “I consider it an untrammelled virtue to be cunning. You’re the one backhanding me with that comment, only you didn’t bother with the compliment.”

“I’m sure you’ll survive. Your ego’s big enough.”

“And I have to compliment you to compensate for your insecurities,” Momomi said, sighing. “But if we ever need to know anything, Shion’s the one to go to. Maybe not by hacking her laptop, but by asking her. I’m sure I could wheedle some juicy things out of her.”

“Probably. People like her like to show off their knowledge, that’s what makes it fun.”

“Exactly,” Momomi agreed. “Though as you said, she isn’t stupid either. This reminds me, though… I wonder whether Olesa can hack computers. It seems to be the kind of thing she’d learn to do.”

“You’re right,” Kaname said. “You should ask her at some point. That reminds me, though. We haven’t set her a task yet, have we?”

“I’d forgotten again,” Momomi sighed. “We’re way too merciful to that girl.”

“Tell me about it. We still owe her with interest for yesterday.”

“I think ignoring her could be the most painful retaliation we could offer, though,” Momomi said thoughtfully.

“No.” Kaname scowled at the sky. “There’s no need to sink that low. It’s better to be honourable.”

Momomi quirked her eyebrows. “Sore subject. Very well, honour it is.”

“Kiyashiki-san! Kenjou-san!”

They looked back over their shoulders and saw Serané running towards her.

“You know, I’m extremely flattered that we have the Etoiles running after us so much,” Kaname said. “I’m not sure what we did to deserve that.”

“I know the feeling,” Momomi agreed. “Good morning, Etoile-sama.”

“Good morning,” Serané said, bowing her head briefly. “I take it you two have patched things up, then?”

“Pretty much,” Momomi replied. “You didn’t need to make things so scary sounding, either. And apparently Kariya was even worse.”

“Well, I was going to apologise for the things she said to Kenjou-san, and talk to you myself,” Serané said. “But that’s a little unnecessary now, it seems. I’m glad, though. We were all really worried about your both.”

“All of you? Perhaps you, but you worry about everything,” Kaname observed, closing her eyes.

“Now, Kenjou-san,” Serané chided. “All your friends showed their concern in their different ways. Most of them tend to hide their overt emotions, though, and were indirect about it. They’re rather like you in that respect.”

“Tch.”

“Isn’t Kariya-sama the same?” Momomi said. “I know I say that a lot, but it’s true.”

“Ah, well, half the time or more Kariya says exactly what she means,” Serané said, smiling. “That’s just who she is, you know. A very strong personality.”

“You haven’t exactly answered our question, though,” Kaname said. “What have we done to set an Etoile doing something so undignified as to run somewhere?”

“We managed it,” Serané said simply. “Kiyashiki-san’s family will arrive on the Friday and stay over the weekend, leaving on Monday.”

“You what?” Momomi exclaimed, sitting up and staring at the Etoile. In the pain of losing Kaname and the euphoria of getting her back, she’d rather forgotten about the fact that they might be separated forever. Just like Shion and Isae…no. I’m different, I’ll fight. I definitely won’t let happen to us.

“It’s confirmed,” Serané said, her tone serious. “However, we have to talk about that. There’s many than one dimension to it.”

“What are you talking about?”

“Come with me.”

“You know, the day’s first lesson is about to start,” Kaname said, sitting up. “I don’t actually care but I’m throwing it out anyway by way of making conversation.”

“We’ll bear full responsibility. This is important business for us, as well.” She swept away, an anxious Momomi hot on her heels.

“And why do you take so much interest in us?” Kaname asked, running to catch up.

“You mean you haven’t worked it out?” Serané asked, smiling teasingly. “I’m surprised, considering you’re so intelligent, Kenjou-san.”

“Come on, tell me already. You two are utterly ineffable anyway, so I won’t even try to understand.”

“It’s the duty of the Etoiles to look after all the students at this school,” Serané said. “But when Kariya and I became Etoiles, we agreed that we’d have a few priorities. Problem students were high on that list.”

“You mean you pay so much attention to us because we’re difficult cases or something?” Kaname rolled her eyes. “That’s just great.”

“Better than being boring, isn’t it?” Momomi imitated.

Serané laughed in a ladylike way, putting her hand over her mouth. “This is how things should be with you two, you know. It’s very cute.”

“That’s seriously patronising,” Kaname complained.

“Is it? I’m sorry, but I couldn’t help myself. You both remind me of Kariya and myself when were younger, to some degree.”

Momomi and Kaname exchanged a horrified look.

“Only a little, though,” Serané said. “Even in our worst days, we were a little more forthright, I think.”

Momomi snorted. “For once, you might be the dishonest one, right now. Somehow I can see you in your younger days, and you’re very haughty. I wonder how accurate I’m being.”

“Perhaps you’re right. I’m looking back, after all, which always warps someone’s perspective. Another difference was that we always used to meet in the clock tower. Well, we still do from time to time.”

“Huh? What are you mumbling about now?” Kaname asked.

“Well, your special place is the bank by the lake, right?” Serané said, smiling. “That’s a romantic setting.”

“What? No! Now you’re just talking like Amiki!” Kaname scowled, putting her hands in her pockets again. “We just meet there because it’s out of the way of other people, who are really annoying. And we didn’t even mean to go there today, not to meet, but we both kinda did.”

Momomi put a hand over her left eye, sighing deeply before Serané could reply. “Those are two of the qualifications for a romantic spot, you know.”

“I’m just teasing you both,” Serané said sweetly. “I don’t mean to imply anything offensive, and if I did, I apologise. One becomes accustomed to a casual attitude to romance in this school, which may not always be appropriate.”

“It’s not like I’m offended or anything,” Kaname said, disarmed by her seriousness. “I was just a little annoyed.”

“But that’s how I knew where to find you. It was an educated guess. But I’ve had a very busy morning, you know.”

“Really?” Kaname said, disinterest plain on her voice.

“Well, first of all, I was looking for you,” Serané continued. “But you weren’t in your room, even that early in the morning.”

Kaname’s head snapped round. “You went in my room?”

“That’s right,” Serané said. “It was a bit messy, though, Kenjou-san, you should clean it up more often. There were a lot of screwed up pieces of paper all over the floor. That’s not good practise.”

“What the hell?” Momomi asked. “I leave for one evening and that happens? You really are hopeless, Kaname… or do you have something to hide?” She grinned at her blushing friend.

“I just hope you didn’t read any of my stuff,” Kaname managed, her voice rigid. “I hate people who behave badly like that.”

“Well, I wouldn’t read letters in a bin without a very good reason, I can assure you of that.”

“Letters?” Kaname enquired dangerously.

“Letters, Kenjou-san, or similar things that emotionally distressed girls write,” Serané said. “I understand these things perfectly, having gone through the same process a few times myself.”

“I was not emotionally distressed! I was just really irritable… I’m not like Momomi, crying over every little thing…”

Serané laughed and put a hand over her lips again, smiling brilliantly. “You really haven’t been changed at all by this experience, Kenjou-san. I’m not sure whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing.”

“Hmm,” Momomi closed her eyes, frowning. “So-so,” she pronounced eventually.

“Is that what you’re supposed to say?” Kaname demanded.

“You said I should be honest, and not mislead you any more,” Momomi said, smiling. “Or something like that. It’s better that you know my true feelings, right?”

“I’m going to learn to be careful what I wish for over these coming weeks,” Kaname said, her face twisting into a sour expression. “I can tell that already.”

“Well, as entertaining as you both are, we had better move faster. Even if we’re missing part of the first period to have this informal briefing, we don’t intend to skip any more than necessary. And Kariya’s waiting.”

“Okay, so the latter bit’s a little scary,” Momomi said thoughtfully. She remembered something. “Does she really have a katana in her room?”

“I’m afraid so. But that’s another reason to be careful, no?” She hitched up her long black skirt and broke into a run again, forcing the Spicans to run to catch up with her. However fit or otherwise the Etoile was, she had a significant height advantage.

“Do we have to go this far? Isn’t it pretty undignified for you?” Kaname observed, frowning at a struggling Momomi.

“Well, most people should be in their first lessons by now. But dignity is a matter of poise, not action.”

“Yeah… right…” Momomi looked sidelong at the Etoile, noting how she managed a certain effortless grace even when she was running. It’s probably the skirt, which for the most part hides her legs and makes her look more like a black cloud than a running girl. I’m not sure whether that’s an improvement… and it has to be tiring, moving around with that sheer volume of material.

“Believe in yourself implicitly, believe in your words and actions and everything you do, and show that by giving it your all,” Serané said. “That’s what Kariya says. That way you’ll always be dignified.”

“That’s way too easy for her to say,” Kaname said, ducking into the dorms after the Etoile and following her. “Kariya-sama is a naturally graceful person, as much as I hate to admit it. It’s just like her ego to mistake a born talent for something that just anyone can imitate if they try hard enough.”

“The truth’s somewhat in-between those two extremes, I think. I do think that grace is a state of mind… but it’s not something you can just adopt. Don’t you think?”

“Well, something like that,” Kaname conceded. “Not that it matters anyway.”

Serané slowed to a walk, ending in front of a door Momomi didn’t know. “We’re here,” she said, opening it without knocking.

“You’re late, Shizuru,” Kariya said severely.

“Sorry, Kari-chan,” Serané replied. “I was just so caught up talking to these two… they’ve made up, you see, I’m very happy for them.”

Kariya sighed and adopted a tired expression, running a hand through her red hair. “This is why I hate teenagers. They have one little row and God has died, the devil has come to earth and everything’s black… angst, angst, angst. And when they actually get round to talking to each other again, the sun’s instantly shining and all’s right with the world again.”

“We don’t angst!” Kaname protested hotly.

“Well, not me, anyway,” Momomi said. “I don’t know about her.”

“Oh, yeah? Am I the one who cried?” Kaname said, turning on her friend.

“No, but you wrote a lot of cringeworthy letters,” Kariya said.

“So you did read them!”

“Letters? More than one? Can I see?” Momomi giggled. “It’s a little cruel, but I’m sure they’ll be hilarious with the benefit for hindsight.”

“Now, now. We used to be young, as well, Kari-chan, we were both the same.” Serané closed the door behind her and stepped forwards into the centre of the room.

“I did not angst,” Kariya said, folding her arms. “I was never that stupid. I had a few legitimate doubts, but I did something about them. I never got all angsty and useless like some people I could mention.”

“I suppose I wasn’t that important to you,” Serané said, sighing theatrically. “Woe is me…” Kariya looked baffled for a moment before Serané leaned forwards and kissed her on the cheek. “We were discussing this, actually. Kari-chan is a little dishonest too.”

“And you still like playing around with words,” Kariya said. “Sit down, you two.”

Momomi sat down, trying not to blush. It seems strange when I actually think about it, but I can’t remember the last time they publicly displayed their affection, even though it’s common knowledge that they’re lovers. I guess that wouldn’t be genteel, but this is their room and their world. We’re the intruders. Makes me feel a little uncomfortable. She looked around to distract herself. It was notably larger than her own, with two beds pushed together on one side and a clear space on the other, filled with two sofas opposite each other, a coffee table in between them. She was sitting there now. And I damn well wish I had something this cushy. The privileges of office. There were several large bookshelves, a large writing desk and a dresser. A daishō pair was mounted on the wall above the desk.

“So you really, really do have swords here,” Momomi noted. “Is that even legal?”

“I’m licensed for them, and I obtained permission from the Superior,” Kariya said. “You shouldn’t consider me a common criminal, Kiyashiki.”

“So gratuitous,” Kaname muttered. “When are you ever going to have those on you to be of use? And this is an age of guns, if you’re going to invest in weapons, get those, not showpieces.”

“My guns are at home. They have less symbolism attached to them.”

“So, what do you think, apart from Kari-chan’s little hobby?” Serané asked politely. “We’ve tried our best to make it a comfortable space.”

“It’s impressive.” Momomi looked around again, noting the pictures of Serané’s family placed in little alcoves, her manga collection, a desktop computer and a widescreen television. “But with this kind of space, and these kind of resources, I should hope so too. We don’t get half as much room, let alone a TV.”

“It comes with the territory,” Kariya said. “One of the better parts of the job. If you’re jealous, work hard and become Etoile when you have the chance.”

“Well, we’ll be sure to bear that in mind,” Kaname muttered sarcastically.

“There’s also a bathroom behind that door, which includes a large bath,” Serané said. “That’s very nice.”

No, don’t think those things. Bad mental images. I must have a dirty mind, actually, though I hate to admit it. Or perhaps it’s because I’m not stupid. “I’m jealous again,” Momomi said to cover herself. “We don’t get anything be a shower.”

“Well, you should have a bath by your fourth year at the latest, that’s not a prerogative of the Etoiles. Before, I’m told, everyone had baths in their rooms. But when Lulim was founded the dorms had to be expanded, and of course they cut some corners to cut some costs.”

“So that school’s being troublesome again,” Kaname muttered. “Shouldn’t they get all the new rooms, and leave us with the better old ones?”

“Well, with that logic, Miator gets all the Strawberry Dorms,” Kariya replied. “We were the founders, after all.”

“Oh? So you were there in person, were you?” Kaname retorted.

“In any case,” Serané said, raising her hands. “As pleasant as it is to chat, we’d better get on. We’re honour-bound to return you to your lessons as soon as possible, after all.”

“But this is an important business.” Kariya turned fierce eyes on them. “So take it seriously. If you don’t, I’ll make you wish you had. And if you screw this up for us, I’ll kill you and be done with it.”

“That’s not going to create a good atmosphere, Kariya.”

“I know,” Kariya said, leaning back and folding her arms. “But all the same, I don’t like these pipsqueaks being here at all. If they get in your way, I won’t forgive them.”

“Skip to the punchline already,” Kaname said. “I’m getting tired here.”

“Well, broadly,” Serané said, pausing and taking a breath. She leaned forwards slightly, interlacing her fingers. “We received a phone call this morning, from the Superior’s office. And that confirmed that Kiyashiki-san’s family would be visiting from Friday to Monday.”

“We know that,” Kaname said. Kariya gave her a warning look.

“However… Kiyashiki’s departure is not the only thing on their minds when they’re coming here,” Serané said, smiling nervously.

“Huh?”

“It would be safe to say that it’s only a minor matter, compared to the main thing,” Kariya said cynically. “Isn’t that right, Shizuru?”

“That’s correct, I suppose.” Her clasped hands twisted slightly. “The principle motive for their visit is rather more to do with me… that’s to say… something I used as a reason for them to visit, which benefits you, but also me in a way…”

Momomi just stared. It’s not like her to lose her pristine mask. This had better be interesting.

“In that… well, we live in a small world, Momomi-chan, and we’re all connected,” Serané said, smiling awkwardly. “And one of those connections… a coincidence, really, but nonetheless… that is…”

“Can I?” Kariya asked.

“Please,” Serané said in a very small voice.

“Serané will be meeting your cousin, Araldo Phareli, as well as your father, about an arranged marriage between them,” Kariya said, closing her eyes. “That’s all.”

“Say what?”

“My, my, Kiyashiki-san, don’t sound so surprised,” Serané said, smiling faintly. “It’s inevitable for my family to arrange a marriage for me. In an increasingly narrow world of legitimate aristocrats, the odds are not substantially against this kind of coincidence.”

“Not that. How can you be so calm? What are you going to do?”

“Obstruct the arrangement, of course,” Serané said, closing her eyes and sighing. “Even if I were to follow my family’s will, it’s impossible for someone like me to be a good wife to your cousin. I’ve told my parents this, but they refuse to acknowledge it. So I will just have to convince Araldo-san that he does not want to marry me, and your father that I am not suitable for his nephew.”

“Aren’t you taking this a bit too seriously?” Kaname said sourly. “All you have to do is refuse, and tell them you won’t follow through with it. That’s the proper thing to do.”

“Shizuru’s not like you,” Kariya said haughtily. “She’s fond of her family, even if they aren’t good at listening.”

“Well, it’s pretty clear they’re taking her for granted, if they aren’t giving her a choice.”

“It’s not a matter of malice,” Serané said quietly. “They just think they know what’s best for me, and they want me to be happy. I can accept the sentiment, if not the method they are using.”

Momomi shrugged thoughtfully. “It’s a point, though. You know that even if my cousin rejects you, your parents will keep finding candidates. They’re going to get more obstinate, not less, as you get through them. And eventually you’ll meet one equally determined to follow through… it’s better to finish it now, right?”

“That’s probably true,” Serané conceded. “But all the same, I don’t think I can do that. As time passes, my parents will begin to understand more, or so I hope.”

Kariya scowled. “In any case, we’re not discussing this with you. This is Shizuru’s problem, and to some degree mine as well, but not yours. We’re just notifying you of the situation, but you’re not expected to intervene.”

“You could have said that in a more reasonable way, Kariya,” Serané said softly.

“Sorry. But it’s best to say it anyway.”

“Well, that suits me just fine.” Momomi shrugged. “It’s one thing less for me to worry about, when I have plenty to fret about as it is. You two can handle yourselves, I know that much.”

“Rather better than you can,” Kariya agreed.

“But the problem is… it’s not quite not our problem,” Kaname said thoughtfully. “Possibly.”

Serané nodded.

“The principle thing is that Serané-sama’s relying on creating a negative impression to your parents, as a person,” Kaname pointed out. “That way she’ll be judged as an unsuitable bride. She has to come across as someone with many flaws. On the other hand, we’re trying to portray this school in a positive light, and as the Etoile Serané’s got a lot to do with the school.”

“Ah,” Momomi said, turning this over in her head. “This is a complication.”

“It’s that thing… the book with the fighter planes, no, the bombers,” Kaname mumbled. “Where everything goes round and round in circles, which is pretty stupid, because bombers tend to go straight down after a while. It would be a horribly inefficient enemy who failed to kill one bomber. Probably to compensate for all that paper.”

Kariya put her head in her hands. “What the hell?”

“Catch 22,” Serané said.

“That’s right,” Kaname nodded. “A stupid book, but the point stands. Like this, the enemy isn’t the main worry, but the other people on our side.”

“We’ve been studying it in English,” Momomi explained to a disgruntled Kariya. “Though it would seem that Kaname’s been struggling somewhat…”

“I can see that,” Kariya sighed.

“Well, bad English aside… Kenjou-kun is quite right,” Serané said, her hands still again. “There’s a certain degree of conflict between our objectives. All the same, we should probably co-operate as far as possible. If I focus my efforts on Araldo-san, I should not substantially inconvenience you with your father.”

“And as for that bastard, I’ll be the one dealing with him for the most part,” Kariya said. “If he can’t come to know Shizuru he won’t come to like her, or so we figure, anyway. I’ll impress him about this school without her impressing him as a person.”

“Ah… are you sure that’s a good idea?” Momomi mumbled.

“What are you implying?”

“Uh… how do I say this… my father might not approve of someone with your firm and forthright personality, Kariya-sama.”

“Oh, really?” Kariya snorted. “Well, let him disapprove all he likes, he’ll just have to lump it. I have a duty, but that’s not for me to coddle him.”

“Only your duty is to coddle him, Kari-chan,” Serané reminded gently. “Or, rather, that’s what Kiyashiki-san wants from you.”

“Tch. How very annoying.”

“This is why it’s inconvenient for me,” Momomi said, looking bemused.

“Don’t worry, Kari-chan can be quite graceful when she really needs to,” Serané said. “She just has to put her mind to it. And if she comes across in an especially positive light, it’s the better for me, because then I’ll look weak in comparison.”

Kariya closed her eyes for a moment. “I don’t think even on my top form I’ll be able to do anything but emphasise you. Grace is your thing, Shizuru, I don’t like to have to pretend.”

“Well, please try your best, Kari-chan,” Serané said. “For me, okay?”

“Fine.”

The blonde sighed. “But all the same, I appreciate this will be complicated. We have a limited timeframe and two quite different objectives. I’m sorry for dragging my own business into this, but it was necessary to get your parents to come.”

“And I’ll probably get in your way in turn,” Momomi replied. “We had better be a little careful.”

Kaname leaned back and looked at the ceiling, yawning. “Well, it’s fine, isn’t it? We just have to do everything and see to everything, send this boy packing and keep Momomi here both. It could be worse, but it’s fine either way. In both cases we’re screwing over the arrogance of aristocrats which I hate, so we just go for total victory.”

“Her obnoxious attitude aside, I’m inclined to agree,” Kariya said. “There’s no need to compromise.”

“You’re right.” Momomi smiled. “We’ll do it like that, total victory.”

“A little presumptuous from us, I think, but all the same…” Serané smiled wanly. “Total victory it is.”

“That’s the right attitude,” Kaname muttered. “It’s like going into a fight. No one ever won by going in half-heartedly. But if you come at your enemy with everything you have, because you have to win, with an attitude like that, you’re already at an advantage. They probably lack that attitude, and having it makes you strong.”

“That’s true enough,” Kariya said. “That’s true enough. But you should be in your first lessons now, so shove off.”

“Goddamnit.” Kaname sighed, rubbing her eyes distractedly. “I had the next part of my spiel all worked out, too. Do I have to?”

“I told you. Shove off.”

“Good day, Kiyashiki-san, Kenjou-san.”

“Nice try, but never mind,” Momomi sighed, helping Kaname up. “Looks like we’d better go.”

Onwards to Part 21


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction