To Fix Broken Wings (part 14 of 16)

a Pokemon fanfiction by Roxius

Back to Part 13 Untitled Document

(It’s a flashback):

3 years ago, a horrible incident occurred. A young woman, driven insane by jealousy and broken emotions, shot several people, including her younger brother, before killing herself. Due to this tragedy, the Pokemon Contest system was put on hold for months.

This is the tragedy of 'the last contest'... 

Zoey stared at herself in the mirror and smiled. She was wearing her usual coordinator outfit, which oddly made her look like a prince of sorts, along with a small golden clip in her hair. 'Hmm...' she thought to herself, 'Maybe I should have put on a bit more of the flashier stuff...this is the Sinnoh Contest finals, after all!'

Suddenly, the door to her dressing room swung open, and Zoey's parents walked in with big smiles on their faces. They were both extremely proud of their daughter for getting this far in the contests."Oh, honey! We're so happy for you! There's no way you can lose now!" Mrs. Richards exclaimed happily while giving her daughter a hug and a quick kiss on the cheek.

"I don't know about that..." Zoey remarked, "Anyone is able to end up winning this thing. I'm sure Dawn has a really good chance and-"

Zoey's father tried to look as serious and reserved as always, but he couldn't help but feel happy for his only daughter. Breaking out into laughter, he exclaimed, "Dawn? That blue-haired little brat? Please! None of those losers has a chance against you!"

It hurt Zoey to hear her father say such things, especially about Dawn, but she just thanked her parents for their support and rushed them out of the room. "I still need to get ready, though. I'll look out for you guys in the audience, okay?" Once the door separating her and her parents had been locked, Zoey broke down and cried.

Covering her tear-stained face, Zoey thought, 'I've been in love with Dawn for so long...and my parents don't even have a clue. I tried coming out to them several times, but I always wimped out because I was afraid. I was afraid of what my parents would think. As my parents, I should always be able to trust them and believe in them...but I can't. I don't know what they'd think if they knew that I was a lesbian...'

Someone suddenly knocked on the door, so Zoey wiped her eyes and opened it. It was Dawn, and she was wearing such a cute beautiful dress that it took all Zoey had to keep herself from collapsing on top of her. Dawn walked into the room and gave Zoey a hug.

"This is a good-luck hug from me to you!" Dawn exclaimed happily, not noticing how red Zoey's face had become. Once they separated, Zoey put on a smile and asked, "So...are you nervous at all? I know I am!" Dawn thought for a moment, her innocent face still glowing with excitement.

"Yeah, I'm nervous, too...everything's going to be shown live on TV, and only one person can come out on top. But...but if I lose, then I lose. It just means that I'm not strong enough yet. At the least, if I can't do it, I would want you to win..." Dawn replied.

'God...she's so sweet and innocent...like an angel...' Zoey thought, the heat rising in her cheeks once again. Looking up at the clock, Dawn realized there was only an hour left until the contest finally started! The blue-haired beauty quickly bid Zoey good-bye and dashed out the door. Zoey stared at the other girl's ass for a few minutes before deciding to check out the arena itself.

Walking out through the hall and to one of the entrances, Zoey peeked out. People were still pouring into the building as the final arrangements were made for the contest battle ground. A large pearl-white square platform was in the middle of the large domed room. That was where the coordinator battles were supposed to take place.

'Hmm...this is going to get really exciting soon!' Zoey thought with a grin. As she turned around to head back to her room, she bumped into someone. It was a tall brown-haired girl with a bandanna on her head and rather large breasts. For some reason, she had completely ignored Zoey and didn't even bother apologizing as she continued storming down the hallway.

Zoey frowned and thought, 'Yeesh...what a rude bitch! ...Still, she had nice boobs.' And with that, Zoey just shrugged and went back into her room, not knowing that that girl she had run into would soon be the cause of a terrible incident...

An hour later, all of the participants were called down to the stadium grounds, where the announcer, a young buxom woman. came in and kicked off the beginning of the final Sinnoh Contest.

"WELCOME, EVERYONE, TO THE SINNOH CONTEST FINALS, WHERE THE VICTOR WILL BE CROWNED AS TOP CONTEST CHAMPION!!" The announcer exclaimed into her microphone, which caused the entire crowd to erupt into applause. Zoey gulped nervously as the contestants were soon called out into the arena.

Standing next to her was Dawn, who leaned over and whispered, "Don't look so nervous, Zoey. Just try and relax...don't think of it as something so big and important...take a deep breath and calm down..." Zoey wasn't really sure how it was possible to be relaxed with such an important competition about to unfold.

"First," the announcer shouted, "We will present to you the match-ups for coordinator battles!" As a large TV screen overhead flickered to life to show the board, Zoey could have sworn she saw Dawn's smile falter for only a second.

'Was...was it just my imagination?' Zoey wondered. That was when she realized that she and Dawn had been paired up to fight against one another in the second round. Clenching her fists, Zoey prepared herself for anything as the first round quickly started, two trainers walking up onstage and letting out their pokemon.

Meanwhile, two people were engaged in an intense argument in a nearby hallway. An argument that will cause something terrible to happen. It was Ash Ketchum, who was constantly being followed by a weeping May.

"Why...why don't you love me? I came all the way here just to see you again!" May screeched, tears pouring down her face. The poor girl looked completely miserable, but Ash didn't seem to care about that.

He just turned around, glared hatefully at May, and snapped, "I don't love you because I love someone else! I already have a girlfriend, May! Don't you get it? Besides, what about you and Drew?"

May wasn't about to give up, though. "Drew? I...I only became his girlfriend so he'll take me here! You're the one I truly love, Ash! You have to understand, Ash! Please...love me back!"

"What? Love you back? How can I? I like you as a friend, May, a good friend...but nothing more, nothing less. That's all..."

Something within May's mind snapped at that point.

Spinning back on his heel, Ash continued to look for Misty. Still, May was unwilling to give up. 'Not now...I can't lose...I need him to love me...' the brown-haired girl thought desperately as she grabbed Ash's arm and pulled him around.

"May, what're you-"

Ash lost his train of thought when May placed her lips over his own. As Ash felt May's tongue slip into his mouth, he happened to look to the side and notice someone standing there...Misty. A look of pure horror and despair was evident on her face.

His own eyes widening, Ash pushed May to the ground and cried, "Misty...this isn't...I...this isn't what it looks like! Please...please...please listen to me!!"

Instead of replying, Misty just turned around and ran down the hall and out the front doors. Ash cursed under his breath and, a powerful rage swelling up inside him, he looked over at May and slapped her hard across the face. He didn't even care about what he was doing anymore; this slut might have ruined the only real relationship Ash ever had.

Ash's entire body shook as he screamed, "YOU BITCH! YOU STUPID, FUCKIN' BITCH! DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE? MISTY...MISTY...YOU MADE ME HURT MISTY'S FEELINGS BY DOING THAT! ...NO, WHAT AM I SAYING? A WHORISH SLUT LIKE YOURSELF COULD NEVER UNDERSTAND SOMETHING LIKE 'REAL LOVE'! JUST...GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!"

With one final glare brimming with hatred, Ash ran after Misty, hoping it wasn't too late. May, however, just sat on the floor with a blank stare. After a moment, she began to smile. Then...she began to laugh. She laughed and laughed in a high-pitched whimsical tone. A small trail of saliva slid down her chin as she continued to laugh.

That was when she remembered the special 'item' she had brought along...just in case things didn't work out between her and Ash. At that moment, Drew walked into the hall and happened to notice May on the floor. Walking up to her, he asked, "Hey, May...what's wrong? Did you fall or something? I'm going to be fighting in the third round, so we can-"

Drew's words were garbled as two bullets teared into his neck and sliced away the nerves. With a struggled cough, Drew collapsed to the floor, dead. May smiled to herself and stared at the smoking pistol in her shaking hands. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out several more bullets, which she stocked into the pistol.

'Yes...yes...yesssssss...Ash will pay for not loving me...he will payyyy...'

May pushed herself up off the ground and walked off to find more victims, ignoring the bloody puddle now forming under Drew's corpse.

Back at the arena, the gunshots from earlier were drowned out by the cheers of the crowd. The first round had just finished, and it was now time for Zoey and Dawn to battle. Both girls were full of inner confidence as they walked up onto the platform and faced each other, pokeballs at the ready.

"Are you ready...Zoey?"

"I'm ready for anything...Dawn."

Zoey lifted her pokeball up into the air, and was about to throw it, when-

BLAM!

The announcer slumped to the floor, a small round bullet hole in her left temple. Zoey looked around and her eyes fell upon May, who was laughing quite insanely while waving the pistol around. The people in the audience broke out into screams and hysterics as they all tried to push their way out of the building.

'That...that's the girl I ran into earlier!' Zoey noticed, but then she realized something far more important...

'Dawn!'

Running forward, Zoey grabbed onto Dawn and pushed her down to the ground. It was the only thing she could think of to protect themselves, since the nearest exit was being blocked by this insane girl. Zoey looked at Dawn, and saw she was paralyzed in fear. Tears were forming on the sides of her eyes, but she didn't cry.

Zoey held Dawn a bit tighter and whispered to herself, 'Please...please don't shoot us...please...' Several more shots rang out, and Zoey resisted the urge to scream out. She glanced up and scanned the area: several bodies were lying on the floor unmoving, including a young kid with black hair and glasses.

There were at least six people dead; who knows how many had been killed before this? 'Oh god...' Zoey thought while swallowing the vomit in her throat, 'This...this is horrible...' Suddenly, Dawn seemed to have snapped out of her shock. Sitting up, she looked around and cried, "What...what's going on?"

Zoey saw May turn towards them, and she let out a small scream. She tried to pull Dawn down, but it was too late...that crazy brown-haired girl was aiming her pistol right at them. Dawn saw this and, her body shivering, muttered, "Z-Zoey...what...what is going on? I...I don't understand..."

Zoey cursed under her breath. 'There's no way out of this,' she thought, 'This girl is ruthless...we'll be killed for sure! If that's the case...then I need to make my last moments count!' Zoey grabbed Dawn's shoulders, pulled the girl up next to her, and kissed her softly on the lips. At that moment, the trigger was pulled and the sound of something crashing to the ground was heard.

However...it was May who fell. Her face was a bloody mess, and her pistol was lying off to the side, completely ignored. It turned out she only had one bullet left, and May decided to end her own life. Her heart and mind had been torn apart by her obsessive love...and she paid dearly for letting it control her.

Ash entered the room, depressed and alone, and freaked out when he realized he had almost stepped on the head of Max, May's little brother. 'He's...dead...' Ash thought gravely, quickly checking the younger boy's pulse. That was when he noticed Zoey and Dawn seemingly kissing on the arena platform.

Seeing they were finally safe, Zoey and Dawn separated. Dawn, who was still unable to comprehend what just happened, lost consciousness. Zoey, however, was very much awake...and she kept wishing this was all just a horrible, horrible dream...

It was a dream...a dream they couldn't wake up from... 

3 years later, after Zoey was soon disowned by her parents when she decided to come out to them, it was never revealed that Dawn remembers perfectly everything that happened during that fateful last contest...the people dying...the insane gunner...and that wonderful, if short, kiss she had shared with Zoey.

It took her a long time, but Dawn had finally realized how she felt about the tomboyish redhead...

...she was falling in love with Zoey. Now, all she had to do was gather the courage to tell her... 

Onwards to Part 15


Back to To Fix Broken Wings Index - Back to Pokemon Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction