Ame no Murakumo ga Miteru: Red String (part 6 of 8)

a Kannazuki no Miko fanfiction by DezoPenguin

Back to Part 5

Chikane had told Himeko that the Himemiyas typically had Saturday dinners in the small dining room. Himeko had, however, failed to adjust the idea of "small" in her mind for where they were. In this case, "small" meant forty feet on a side, with a brick fireplace piercing one wall between tall casement windows and a ceiling high enough that the two chandeliers would have to be lowered from their chains for the servants to change the light bulbs. The table in the center was covered in crisp, white linen, and the plates, crystal, and cutlery gleamed, throwing back the light in brilliant pinpoints. A table at a five-star restaurant would be trading down, she suspected.

"This is a casual family dinner?" she whispered nervously. Except for the fact that the table couldn't sit more than six comfortably, it might as well be a banquet hall. Chikane actually blushed slightly.

"I suppose it is a little absurd," she admitted. "Of course, Ishigami-san's pride would be offended if anything was less than perfect, and it isn't as if Otousama or Okaasama would handle the cooking and clean-up themselves."

Himeko smoothed her skirt nervously. She was wearing a green dress from Chikane's closet that Chikane had worn when she was thirteen. The age gap took care of the current difference in height and bust, and it had been designed as a loose fit to be cinched with a belt so it wasn't too tight around Himeko's thicker waistline. The accessories were supposed to be white, but since Himeko's borrowed shoes were brown, she'd been provided tan stockings and a brown belt. Chikane hadn't changed from her blouse and skirt, so Himeko felt comfortable with the outfit.

After a couple of minutes, the far door opened and two people came in. Himeko's heart caught in her throat as she got her first look at Chikane's parents. Her lover swiftly took the lead in the situation, stepping forward and speaking first.

"Otousama, Okaasama, I would like to present to you my girlfriend, Kurusugawa Himeko."

"I'm very pleased to meet you and honored to be a guest in your home," Himeko babbled, bowing more deeply than was necessary.

"Himeko, this is my father, Himemiya Seiji."

Seiji was a surprisingly short man, the same height as his wife and a centimeter or so shorter than his daughter, but he carried with him an air of self-assurance that added inches to his apparent stature. Around forty years old and clean-shaven, he had a handsome face and bright blue eyes that seemed to be testing and assessing Himeko while giving nothing back. He wore a dark blue suit and white shirt as if he'd just come from the office, which perhaps he had.

"So, this is the famous Kurusugawa-san," he mused. "I am glad to be able to meet you right away."

Himeko suppressed a shudder, not liking the word "famous."

"T-thank you, Himemiya-sama."

"Be nice, Seiji," his wife chided.

"This is my mother, Himemiya Hayate," Chikane continued.

Hayate's appearance surprised Himeko a little; she'd been expecting a beautiful, elegant lady who'd be an ornament at a society function. What she saw, instead, was a woman with hair the same color as Chikane's but with severe, almost plain features that, in combination with her cream-colored blouse, blue skirt, and relative lack of jewelry (she wore only her wedding ring, plain gold studs in her ears, and an ivory cameo at her throat) spoke more of efficiency than of elegance. She surprised Himeko, though, by smiling, the sparkle in her deep brown eyes all but transforming her face.

"It's a pleasure to meet you at last, Kurusugawa-san. Chikane has told us so much about you over the years that I feel as if I know you already."

"Over...the years, Himemiya-san?" Himeko asked hesitantly, then caught on and turned to Chikane. "Ohh, like you told Arisu-chan about me!"

Chikane nodded.

"I wanted to make sure early on that it was properly understood there would be no point in marriage negotiations or other such matters. I did not think it would be fair to let them act in good faith only to find me completely unwilling to even consider the idea."

"Wow, I suppose a family like this must have all kinds of concerns like that." The Himemiya keiretsu seemed to be more along the lines of the family-owned zaibatsu that had flourished in the past according to Himeko's history classes, so arranged marriage might be seen as a strategy to cement business relationships and increase family holdings.

"Not this one," Hayate remarked. "Chikane has always been most insistent that there was only one person for her. But please, let us eat. I'm sure that such a late mealtime isn't what Kurusugawa-san is used to, is it?"

"N-no, Himemiya-sama."

Chikane's mother pointed to herself. "Hayate," she said, then pointed to he husband and said, "Seiji." Himeko blushed bright red.

"Oh, but I couldn't possibly..."

The older woman smiled kindly.

"Well, perhaps in time."

They went to the table and sat down, Chikane's father at the head, his wife at his right hand, his daughter to his left, and Himeko next to Chikane. As if in response to a prearranged signal, a footman entered and filled the water-glasses, then set a large salad bowl on the table. Himeko openly admired the seascape etched into the glass, which won a surprising chuckle from Chikane's mother.

"Um, did I say something strange?"

"The salad set was an anniversary present to us from Chikane," Hayate explained, serving the tossed salad. "So you complimented her without even realizing it."

Chikane grinned wryly, and Himeko found herself blushing again.

"Perhaps you'd tell us a little bit about yourself, Kurusugawa-san?" Seiji invited.

"There's not really much to tell. My family lived in Chiba all my life until we moved to Mahoroba a week ago. I'm an ordinary person, really, not like Chikane-chan. I like art and photography, but I'm not really a very good student. Oh, and Chikane-chan invited me to join the kendo club!"

"She's very good," Chikane said. "With more practice, she'll be as good as I am."

"If I can ever learn the rules. Oomori-sempai was showing me, but it's hard to keep straight."

"Mm-hm," Chikane agreed. "The formal targets for scoring strikes and the methods required can be confusing; my body so often wants to go somewhere else, somewhere more effective in a real fight. It was hard, at first, to keep from being disqualified."

"I'm not sure I'll be as good as you. I operate all on instinct, so it's really hard to hold back. I'll try, though."

The salad was delicious, the vegetables crisp and flavorful but light. The vinaigrette dressing was one of her favorites, which made her suspect that Chikane had had a word with the cook. She was always good at little kindnesses like that.

"So how are you liking Mahoroba?" Seiji asked.

"Oh, it's wonderful! It's just as I—" Himeko cut herself off just in time to stop herself from finishing, remembered it, since none of her memories of Mahoroba were from her present life and that didn't sound like something a sane person would say. She was pretty sure that Chikane's parents wouldn't welcome a crazy girlfriend for their daughter! "It's like I hoped it would be," she finished lamely. The ocean, and all the trees everywhere, and the hills, and the view from the academy. Even the school uniforms are really pretty! This is a wonderful, nostalgic place." She reached for Chikane's hand. "And I found Chikane-chan here, which is the best thing of all!"

Chikane's mother smiled at her.

"Well, you're an honest young lady, at the least." The remark made Himeko blush yet again; it seemed she was destined to spend the entirety of this meeting imitating a beet. Chikane squeezed her hand and smiled at her, making Hayate chuckle.

"Aren't they cute together, Seiji?" she teased her husband. "They remind me of us at their age."

"We hadn't yet met at their age," Chikane's father pointed out.

"You know very well what I mean, dearest."

Himeko trembled. Did this mean that Chikane's mother actually approved of her? Of the girls being together? Just like that, without any question or hesitation? It was almost too amazing to be believed! She glanced at Chikane, seeking some kind of clue, but the other girl's expression was unreadable.

"Yes, I suppose," Seiji grumbled. He addressed himself to his salad, rapidly finishing it while casting glances at the three ladies at the table. Hayate turned the conversation to Chikane's student council activities and listened attentively as her daughter detailed the plans that were being considered for the upcoming school festival and matters of fundraising. The Himemiyas had always been major benefactors of the school, but Chikane was trying to arrange things so that it didn't require such large single-source donations to fund matters, both as a Himemiya who didn't want the family's beneficence wasted inefficiently, and as a class official who didn't want to put the school in a position where it had to depend on one source for its needs. Himeko didn't have a lot to offer to that discussion, mostly sitting awed while Chikane and her parents weighed various options and casually discussed matters of high finance.

"But our guest must be finding this very boring," Chikane's father brought things to a close once the salad had been cleared and the dinner course served, a simple Japanese-style meal of grilled Pacific salmon.

"No, not at all," Himeko said. "Well, er...I admit that I don't really understand anything of what you're saying, but it's fun watching you talk about it." Three confused pairs of eyes looked at her; Himeko noticed that Seiji's were the same color as his daughter's. "Because you're all so interested and enthusiastic, like when Otousan talks baseball with our downstairs neighbor Tanaka-san."

The image called up in her mind suddenly stung at her heart once she'd put it into words, because she realized that on the one hand she'd never see it again because they'd left Tanaka behind in Chiba, and on the other hand happy memories of her father hurt, given not only the rift that had opened up between them but her worries about how their happy home life was threatened.

It was Chikane's father who noticed her sudden discomfort.

"Kurusugawa-san, is something wrong?"

"I...it's..." she stammered, caught between wanting to ask for help and not wanting to break down and complain, revealing her personal problems to Chikane's family—particularly not on the first meeting!

Chikane, however, settled the matter for her.

"Otousama, Okaasama, the truth is that I made a very serious mistake, which has caused problems for Himeko and her family."

"You did, Chikane?"

The expressions of both elder Himemiyas were openly full of surprise. Himeko could certainly understand that; one hardly associated "Miya-sama" with making errors in judgment that caused problems for people. The thought struck her that oddly enough it was she, Chikane's lover, who knew more of her failings than anyone.

"Yes, I did."

"Within but a single day of meeting her, and already she is requiring that you make amends?" Hayate said, her glance sliding towards Himeko with a trace of suspicion. Himeko glanced back to Chikane and saw with surprise that anger was written distinctly on her face.

"Um, Chikane-chan, I don't understand..." she said, which she didn't but also because talking about feelings tended to help keep people from acting on them. She didn't want anything to happen now, not when it had been going so well!

"My parents have noted that immediately after we met, it seems that you have come running to me with problems that are my fault, which therefore I would be honor-bound to solve, and they are wondering what the financial impact of that would be. Or, to be more plain-spoken about it, they think you're a gold-digger trying to line your pockets from me while you have the chance."

Himeko gasped in shock, Seiji scowled, and Hayate sighed.

"Really, Chikane, is there any need for all these histrionics?" her mother chided. "You can hardly blame us for being curious. Surely the facts will speak for themselves."

"That you can actually believe Himeko capable of being a devious schemer shows you have no regard for the facts."

"We've known Kurusugawa-san for the space of less than an hour," Chikane's father pointed out. "You can hardly expect us to come to such a conclusion on that basis."

"Otousama!"

Himeko laid her hand lightly on her girlfriend's shoulder.

"They're right, Chikane-chan," she said gently. "They...they don't know me." Which didn't mean that it didn't hurt, that someone thought she or her family would use Chikane for money. It hurt a lot! But it was fair, because they didn't have the facts about what was happening or know Himeko at all.

"It shouldn't take more than—"

"Chikane-chan," she chided, a bit more firmly. "I'm a big girl, really; you don't have to protect me against honest questions. Besides, you don't need to worry your parents."

Chikane sighed, then took Himeko's hand in hers, lifted it off her shoulder, and rubbed it against her cheek. The causal intimacy of the gesture, under the circumstances, made Himeko blush yet again. It seemed to help Chikane relax and shed her anger, though.

"I'm afraid that I do need to tell them, Himeko." She let the hand drop and turned back to her parents, who looked more curious than ever after all the byplay. "Otousama, Okaasama, may I presume that you have heard rumors today about my relationship with Himeko?"

"Yes, we have," her father replied. "I was very displeased to have to find out in such a way."

"Those rumors were my fault. I decided that I wanted our relationship to be public, not a hidden thing as if it was shameful. Towards this end yesterday as we were leaving school I kissed Himeko in the courtyard, making our relationship very plain to the dozens of students who saw it."

"That was not well-done, Chikane," her mother chided. "There is a difference between an open and honest acknowledgement of your feelings and making yourself into a public spectacle. Boy or girl, that doesn't matter."

Chikane nodded.

"I know, Okaasama. I was swept away by how exultant I felt to have found Himeko at last, and I let myself act without thought of the consequences. Those consequences gave rise to rumors, which passed not only among the students but to their parents and so through the community. From what I understand, most of the gossip casts Himeko in an extremely negative light."

"That was certainly the case with what we heard."

"Then I must thank you for reserving judgment."

Hayate shook her head.

"It was only natural, Chikane, as we know you. The idea of you being seduced by an unscrupulous girl seemed unlikely. However, that the rumors would paint matters in this light is also natural; you are a Himemiya, well-regarded throughout the town, while Kurusugawa-san is a transfer student without yet any category into which small minds can place her. When you add in the fundamental tendency of gossip to be mean-spirited and cruel, the result was inevitable."

Chikane nodded.

"I know, and I now deeply regret my actions. The last thing I wanted to do was to shame Himeko, but my selfish desire to celebrate and proclaim my feelings resulted in exactly that, and not merely her, but the entire Kurusugawa family. Himeko's parents have ordered her to break off the relationship with me."

"Indeed?" Seiji said.

"They do not approve of homosexual relationships?" Hayate asked.

"Possibly not, but that was not the reason for their actions."

"Oh?"

"The truth is, Himeko's father has been threatened with the loss of his job if his daughter's actions continue to 'shame the Himemiya family.' You see, Kurusugawa-san is employed by Kamiyatate Pharmaceutical. It appears that they believe my relationship with Himeko, no doubt seen in the worst possible light, brings the company name into disrepute."

Seiji's scowl deepened.

"I see."

Chikane's head dipped.

"I was sure you would. Thanks to my act of self-indulgence, Kurusugawa-san stands at risk of losing his job and his good character, with the resulting consequences for the entire family."

"And yet, you have brought Kurusugawa Himeko-san here, to our home, an act which will no doubt aggravate the situation if publicized," her mother said. "Our staff is both exceptional and loyal, but like all of us, human." She turned to Himeko. "Have you considered obeying your father, Kurusugawa-kun?"

"Yes, I have. If it were for my sake, I would, to save everybody the trouble, but..." She trailed off, glancing at Chikane, not quite sure how she should handle this, how much to reveal.

"That is not an option," Chikane said flatly, surprising both of her parents and even Himeko a little. She wasn't at all used to Chikane making declarations like that to third parties.

"Chikane-chan..." she murmured lovingly.

"I realize that my own precipitate actions have brought us to this pass," Chikane went on fiercely. "Even so, I shall not allow the arrogant presumptions of the small-minded to dictate to us. Not about this." Her hands curled savagely into fists where they were resting on the table, her nails biting into her palms. "For the sake of Himeko's happiness, I would do anything, but this...this is just a case of two different kinds of needless suffering to choose between."

"Chikane-chan..." Himeko repeated.

"Enough!" Himemiya Seiji snapped, raising his head. "This is, as you know, a complex situation with multiple ramifications. In my opinion, the correct course of action is to discuss matters face-to-face between all concerned parties, so that all issues can be addressed." He glanced at his wife. "Hayate?"

"I think that says it very well. Tomorrow is Sunday, so it will be the best possible time, and in any case, things are best settled quickly. Chikane, I trust the Kurusugawas were informed that their daughter is staying here for the night?"

She nodded.

"Yes; I had Ishigami-san contact them as soon as we arrived."

"Excellent; they won't worry about Himeko-chan's safety, then."

Himeko let out a little gasp at the form of address.

"You don't mind me calling you that, do you, Himeko-chan?"

"N-not at all, Himemiya-sama!"

Hayate smiled at her.

"That's good, because yesterday when she returned from school, Chikane was as happy as I have ever seen her in her life, and I'm quite certain as to why." She picked up her chopsticks. "Now, if that's settled, I for one would prefer to eat my dinner while it's still warm."

"Mmn!" Himeko agreed happily, while Chikane gave her an indulgent smile.

~X X X~

"Chikane-chan, do you...do you think your mother likes me?" Himeko asked. She swept the brush through her girlfriend's hair in long, smooth strokes. In their previous life as twins they'd played lady's-maid often enough for one another, enjoying the intimacy of caring for their beloved. Chikane was so beautiful, Himeko thought, that it made it really fun to try and bring out the best in her appearance. Of course, the dark-haired girl always said the same thing about her...

"Mm, who wouldn't?" Chikane smiled at her in the mirror.

"I'm serious! She seemed to be friendly, but then she got kind of angry, but then she was all nice again. And it must be a pretty awful shock to suddenly find out that your daughter has a girlfriend, especially if they heard those nasty rumors first. Your father said that he had."

Chikane nodded.

"That was unfortunate," Chikane agreed. "I should have told them about meeting you yesterday after school. I suppose my liking for the theatrical gesture got the better of me—I needed to present you to them, not just the situation. Still, it was not as much a surprise as it could have been."

"Oh?"

"Because they already knew about my sexuality, and about you. They might have thought that you were but a fantasy, but that the rumors were about me being involved with a girl would not be unexpected." She chuckled softly. "Indeed, I think they'd have been more surprised if it had been rumored I was dating a boy. No, actually in that case they simply wouldn't have believed it. That's happened before, when someone of substantial social status has planned to ask me out or confessed his feelings."

"It's so amazing," Himeko marveled. "You could have had anyone you wanted. Even in our previous life when you were from an ordinary background it wasn't any different from now; the money and power didn't mean anything."

"Himeko, you don't still worry about that, do you?"

"Mm-mn," she demurred, a soft smile on her lips while she shook her head. "Not any more. I do still wonder why, sometimes, but I don't have any doubts. You're the other half of my soul, Chikane-chan. We might fight or get angry or do stupid things or hurt each other, but we'll never, ever lose one another again." She hugged Chikane from behind.

"Did Ame no Murakumo know this when he bound us together as miko, I wonder?" Chikane murmured, her hand covering Himeko's. Her skin was soft and cool, her touch soothing. "Or maybe we were so tightly bound already that we had to be chosen together, because we could never be parted."

"Because it's impossible for a destiny to exist which doesn't bring us together," Himeko answered. "We just took too long to realize it."

"No," Chikane told her, turning her head to look at her directly, "we had to discover our feelings for ourselves. Gods or fate might have brought us together, but only we could choose to love."

Himeko bent and kissed her softly.

"You're right," she said. She set the brush down on the vanity table and straightened up. "Let's go to bed, Chikane-chan."

"All right."

Chikane turned off the lights and they slipped beneath the covers. The huge four-poster bed was so big that Himeko would have felt lost in it on her own, so she curled up facing Chikane. The other girl took Himeko's hand between hers.

"Don't worry, Himeko. We'll see this through together, tomorrow, and then I can welcome you back properly."

"Mm-hm," she denied. "I already had my welcome back, the moment I walked into the classroom and saw you."

Chikane sucked in her breath.

"I love you, Chikane-chan. Being together with you is enough for me."

With the smile lingering on her lips, Himeko closed her eyes.

Onwards to Part 7


Back to Ame no Murakumo ga Miteru: Red String Index - Back to Kannazuki no Miko Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction