Ame no Murakumo ga Miteru: Red String (part 5 of 8)

a Kannazuki no Miko fanfiction by DezoPenguin

Back to Part 4

The Himemiya mansion was as grand in this lifetime as ever, Himeko thought as the car wound its way up the drive from the front gate to this palace of Mahoroba's founding family. On some level, a house such as this was an absurdity, far beyond anyone's needs or even wants, but Chikane had once explained that it was as much a matter of prestige as anything else—that if the Himemiyas did not put on such an outward display of wealth, people would wonder if something was wrong, costing them more than what the mansion and estate did.

She always knows those kind of things, Himeko thought. Impressions, appearances, how people react. A thread of resentment rose up within her as she thought, So why didn't she think about how Otousan's company would react? Chikane-chan should have known! Himeko knew better than anyone that Chikane wasn't the perfect girl she sometimes approved to be, but even so it was an awful mistake.

She'd made her feelings plain enough, though, so she didn't say any more now as the car brought them to the base of the front steps. They'd checked her feet during the ride and found no serious injury, just a couple of small cuts and a lot of damage to her house slippers and tights, so at least Chikane didn't carry her again, which was kind of romantic (and pretty impressive, since they were about the same size) but terminally embarrassing. She did lend a hand going up the steps, but that was more a matter of politeness, Himeko thought.

Servants greeted them upon entrance, beginning with the footman who opened the door and continuing with the glasses-wearing maid—more probably a housekeeper, though she was only in her mid-twenties and pretty—who greeted the returning ojousama and her guest in the foyer. Since the mansion was an almost entirely Western-style building, they didn't change shoes upon entering, which made Chikane glance thoughtfully at Himeko's feet.

"You don't like large, fancy rooms, as I recall?" Chikane said.

"I...don't know," Himeko said. "I didn't before, but I haven't thought about it since then." How much, after all, had been her genuine taste and how much that gnawing sense of I-don't-deserve-this? In her own way, Himeko had been nearly as broken a person as Chikane.

"Then, would you mind staying with me?" Chikane offered.

Himeko blushed a little and shook her head.

"Very well." Chikane turned to the housekeeper. "Ishigami-san, this is Kurusugawa Himeko, my guest. Please take her school bag to my study and have my bathroom prepared for a second person. She will be staying in my room."

"Yes, ojousama."

"Also, please bring the first-aid kit and a pair of shoes, size—" She glanced at Himeko and offered a guess.

"That's right; you remembered!"

"Ones that would go with her school uniform; we will dress for dinner but she'll need them for tomorrow. And have someone telephone the Kurusugawa home and let them know that Kurusugawa-san will be staying with us tonight." She rattled off the phone number, which Himeko had given her yesterday along with her cell number.

Ishigami didn't flicker an eyelash at any of this.

"Very well, ojousama."

"Are Otousama and Okaasama home?" Chikane asked.

"Your mother is at home; I believe that she is in her office. Your father has a late meeting but will be home by seven. Dinner will be served at quarter to eight."

"An hour from now. Thank you."

Himeko gulped.

"Are...are you going to introduce me to your parents, Chikane-chan?" she murmured.

"Certainly. You are a guest in their home, after all, and besides that the most important person in my life." She beamed at Himeko, probably trying to set her at ease, but not really succeeding.

Geez, I've never done this before! In the lifetime when they'd fallen in love, Chikane's family had been absent the whole time and they hadn't become lovers until the end of it all, looking down from the Lunar Shrine on a dying planet. And in the lifetime after that they'd been twin sisters, so they'd skipped the whole "meet the parents" moment for obvious reasons.

Given the reaction of Himeko's own parents, she wasn't really looking forward to that of Chikane's. No doubt they'd heard the same rumors; if the officials of Himemiya companies were acting on them, then certainly the family had been told.

There was no use putting off the inevitable, though. Chikane was right about that.

"A-all right, Chikane-chan."

She gave her bag to Ishigami, then followed Chikane up the stairs to a small but luxurious sitting-room or parlor with soft emerald carpeting and light green furniture, with forest scenes in oil continuing the color motif. They had barely settled themselves on a settee when a plump blonde maid brought in a first-aid kit, which she set on the polished surface of a rosewood coffee table after first setting down a pad and tray to prevent scratches or spills.

"Thank you, Akemi-san," Chikane said.

"Yes, ojousama." The maid bowed and left.

Chikane patted her lap.

"Please put your feet up, Himeko."

"All right."

She turned on the loveseat and swung her feet up. Chikane removed the torn slippers, then let Himeko peel down the black tights from her school uniform, the feet of which had gotten nearly ruined. Chikane blushed faintly as Himeko rolled the tights down her legs, seemingly unable to take her eyes away, and Himeko grinned, happy that her lover was still...interested. When she saw the reaction to her removing the left one, she made a point of sliding the right one off slowly and lingeringly, rewarding Himeko with an even brighter blush on the other girl's face.

"Naughty Chikane-chan," she teased, wagging her finger at her girlfriend.

"I'm sorry," Chikane said, looking away.

Himeko blinked.

"For what?"

"I...shouldn't be thinking about such things now, with all that's going on."

Himeko sighed.

"Chikane-chan, I'm upset with you, yes, but it doesn't mean that I don't love you or that I don't want you to be attracted to me. And I...I was flirting a little, so of course I want some kind of response."

Chikane shook her head.

"You're far too good for me, Himeko."

"You always treat me like I'm made of spun glass emotionally. You don't have to. I'm a lot tougher than I look!"

Chikane smiled sheepishly at her and twined a loose lock of hair around her fingers.

"I guess sixteen years apart have me backsliding into bad habits. I'll try to be more selfish and callow in the future."

Himeko stuck her tongue out at her before they both collapsed into fits of the giggles. Laughter helped clear the air, and Chikane set to work, first cleansing the cuts on Himeko's feet, then applying antiseptic and bandages.

"Does that feel all right?"

"Mmn!"

"Good; I think you'll do fine, but we'll take another look before kendo practice on Monday. Luckily, tomorrow is Sunday, so you'll have the chance to let those scrapes rest and heal."

"Thank you, Chikane-chan."

There was a soft knock at the door, and at Chikane's invitation another maid came in, this one with black hair done up in pigtails.

"I have the shoes you requested, ojousama. I hope they're the right ones."

"Let's see, then."

The maid gave the shoes to Chikane, who slipped them onto Himeko's feet in a way that reminded her of the prince in "Cinderella." Visiting the Himemiya mansion always had that kind of effect on the blonde.

"How do they feel?"

"Perfect!" She stood up and took a few steps. "Mmn, they're exactly right."

"Thank you, Miyu-san," Chikane told the maid.

"Will there be anything else, ojousama?"

"No, thank you."

The maid bowed and left.

"Do you know all of your staff by name, Chikane-chan?"

"Oh, yes. While a first-class staff such as this one functions as if it were a machine, it is made up of people, after all. I...wasn't as aware of that as I should have been, before."

Himeko chuckled.

"Well, if I'd let you know about the shiitake, it might have helped. I was too awed to mention it."

"I think Otoha-san would have made you shiitake-flavored tea if she could have figured out a way," Chikane noted, then both girls giggled. She then hopped to her feet. "They should have my room ready for you by now, so we can go pick out a dinner outfit without being underfoot."

"When you said 'dress for dinner,' you didn't mean a big, formal affair, did you?" Himeko asked nervously. She didn't want her first impression on Chikane's parents to be of her using the wrong fork to spill food onto an expensive borrowed dress.

"No, don't worry. Actually, this is a good day for you to have come visiting; my mother put her foot down when she married Otousama that Saturday nights would be simple, family dinners like normal people eat—no dinner parties, no seven-course meals, not even the main dining room, not unless it's a holiday."

"I won't be intruding, will I?"

Chikane stood and took her hand.

"Himeko, you are my family, more than anyone in the world."

"I'm glad."

"I had actually meant to invite you over for dinner tonight, anyway, since it seemed the best time to introduce you. I'm just sorry that everything else happened and so much is going on at once."

Himeko nodded.

"Me, too. I've been looking forward to our reunion all my life, and all I want is to squeal and be happy, but all these problems keep getting in the way."

"At least it's not the end of the world," Chikane said. If she hadn't smiled, Himeko would have missed the joke, but the blonde caught on after a couple of moments and laughed.

"Chikane-chan, you shouldn't joke about that," she said between giggles.

"I couldn't resist. We'll get through this, you know. I do have a couple of ideas how I can put things right, but...shall we take care of one problem at a time?"

"Mmn," Himeko agreed. The idea of being formally introduced to her girlfriend's parents—and as a girlfriend, not just a school friend—was kind of terrifying. Maybe even scarier than the Orochi! At least I know what to do against Orochi. I've never done anything like this, though!

"Good! So then, let's see about getting your face washed and picking out something for you to wear to dinner."

~ X X X ~

A light knock at the door drew Himemiya Hayate's attention away from her computer screen. She stretched and rubbed her eyes before answering the knock. Though she was the daughter-in-law of the head of the Himemiya family, she'd never lived the life of an ornamental socialite but held down an executive vice-presidency in the investment division of the Himemiya Financial Group's central bank.

"Come in."

The door opened to reveal the slim form of Ishigami, the housekeeper.

"Pardon me for interrupting, Oku-sama, but Chikane-ojousama wished for me to tell you that she has invited a guest for the evening."

"Oh, is Alice staying over again?"

Ishigami shook her head.

"No, Oku-sama, the young lady's name is Kurusugawa Himeko."

Hayate exhaled slightly, a gentle hiss of breath.

"Of course; I should have guessed. Please let Seiji know when he arrives home, Ishigami-san."

"Certainly, Oku-sama."

When the housekeeper had gone, Hayate leaned back in her chair and sighed heavily. The rumors she'd been hearing about her daughter had implied that this day would be coming sooner rather than later, but on some level she'd known it would happen for years, like it was destiny.

Leaning forward, she opened the bottom right drawer of her desk and took out a stiff brown portfolio-style folder. Hayate laid it on her desk, unwound the string holding it shut from its tab, and opened the flap. Taking out the papers inside, some of which were over ten years old, she began to go through them one by one.

~ X X X ~

"Chikane-chan, this closet is bigger than our apartment in Chiba was!" Himeko boggled. She was exaggerating, but not by much. Serried ranks of clothing marched down the walls, shirts and fancy dresses and skirts and slacks and coats, with cabinets at far end presumably for lingerie and stockings and similar items. "It feels more like a store than a person's wardrobe."

"Well, in a way, it is like a clothing store. After all, we're going to pick out something for you to wear tonight. So you'll browse, then take something home."

"Chikane-chan, I couldn't take any of your beautiful clothes home."

Chikane giggled.

"Himeko, girls lend each other clothes all the time. Alice still hasn't given me back the green scarf she borrowed last December!"

"Well, okay, but...I don't feel right, sponging off you."

Chikane suddenly came up close behind her, folding her arms around the blonde.

"Does it bother you, Himeko, that my family is so wealthy in this lifetime?"

Himeko's hands came up and covered Chikane's, almost of their own accord.

"Yeah, a little. I mean, you're such an amazing person, and I think it's only right that you have this kind of life. But it's really overwhelming, too. I don't fit in this kind of world. It was easier in our past life, where you were more on my level."

"Himeko, please don't say things like that."

"I know," Himeko said with a sheepish, sad smile. "You hate it when I talk like that almost as much as I hate it when you talk about yourself being a bad person."

"That's why I consider it Heaven when it's just the two of us together in the Shrine," Chikane said softly. "No class distinctions, no worldly accomplishments, no expectations from other people, just you and me, two bodies, two souls, without any irrelevancies to divide or separate us."

"I wonder how long it took," Himeko mused, "how many lifetimes we spent with you thinking what you felt for me was a hopeless dream, something corrupt and evil, and me thinking that I wasn't worthy, a burden who dragged you down to my level?"

"Ame no Murakumo would know. Perhaps we should ask, if you're really curious."

"They say you have to hit bottom before you can get better. I was so shy and meek that I just accepted what everyone said without having my own opinions about anything, because I didn't think someone like me had the right or the ability to choose."

"While I was an Orochi."

Himeko turned her head so they could look at each other. There was a long pause as they stared into each other's eyes, then they broke into sudden laughter.

"We were awful, weren't we?" Chikane said.

"You said it, not me," Himeko teased.

"And who's still complaining about not being on my level?"

"Who's still a borderline sociopath?" Himeko shot back, grinning.

Chikane returned her smile.

"Well, then, if I only care about my own wants and desires..." She spun Himeko in her arms, let her hands slip down the blonde's back to cup her bottom through her uniform skirt, and pulled her tight against her body for a searing kiss. Himeko's blood seemed to race; she felt the heat swell within her and her legs trembled as Chikane's tongue teased her lips, seeking entrance. She moaned, accepting the invitation, and her arms came up to embrace her beloved. The kiss went on for a long time, until at last Himeko dragged her mouth away from Chikane's.

"We can't," she moaned regretfully, her entire body screaming a protest at what she was saying. "Your parents...they'll expect us for dinner."

Chikane sighed and nodded.

"You're right." She blushed, then added, "Besides, I want our first time together in this life to be special, not a quick roll on the closet floor."

Himeko smiled.

"You're such a romantic, Chikane-chan."

"It's more like I have this perfect fantasy of how everything should play out, that I've been building in my head for five years," Chikane admitted, making Himeko giggle.

"Me, too."

Chikane sighed.

"I guess I really screwed up, then. If I hadn't spoiled things with your family, we could be deciding who gets to have theirs first."

"Chikane-chan..."

She shook her head.

"No, we're going to get this solved," she declared firmly. "I know we promised to be together no matter what suffering or pain we had to go through, but there's no reason why you should have to endure any such thing. Particularly not when it's my fault."

The firmness of her determination was striking; she talked, and looked, like she was about to face off against some adversary. Maybe she was, Himeko thought. She was well aware of what Chikane felt for her, the intensity of it and how the idea of losing it scared her beloved. Himeko's parents' edict and the pain it caused Himeko to know her family might suffer really was an enemy for Chikane, then.

"Do you really think it's possible, Chikane-chan?"

She nodded.

"Absolutely. I swear to you, Himeko, that I'll protect you, and that includes the people and things that are precious to you."

"Chikane-chan, thank you."

"But first things first; we need to get you ready for tonight's dinner. So let's get you out of that uniform."

Himeko grinned flirtatiously at her.

"But I thought you didn't want a quick roll on the closet floor?"

"Himeko!"

Onwards to Part 6


Back to Ame no Murakumo ga Miteru: Red String Index - Back to Kannazuki no Miko Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction