Pale Gold Amidst Autumn (part 4 of 5)

a K-ON! fanfiction by Museless

Back to Part 3

Chapter 4: No Regrets


Sawako grinned as she put the groceries away. She glanced at her watch, pleased it was still early. She surveyed her apartment, and everything seemed to be in place. It was Friday. Almost a week had passed since the day at the beach with Mugi. Thanks to younger woman's busy schedule with her parents and Sawako being occupied with work, they did not have much chance to see each other. Tonight would be different though. While messaging each other one night, Sawako impetuously extended an invitation to dinner at her place. Mugi's response, an instantaneous 'I would love to!'

She looked at the clock again to make sure she had enough time to prepare dinner before she began cooking. It was some time later when she wiped her brow, a small smirk of satisfaction on her face. Her miniscule kitchen was ridiculously hot and she decided to open a few other windows to alleviate the heat of the apartment. As she walked back into the small space the oven dinged and she happily exclaimed “Right on time!” There were only a few little finishing touches left. Another quick glimpse of her watch showed she had half hour to get dressed and so she dashed into the bathroom.

Donning a pair of jeans, a white camisole and a favorite beige sweater, she hunted for a pair of earrings to complete the outfit. She happened to spot a pair of jade ones an ex had given her when she suddenly remembered she had forgotten one thing. “Shit!” She cursed out loud the same moment her phone rang. She picked up to hear Mugi chirp, “Hi Sawako-sensei! I'm on the train, and will be arriving soon.”

Oh, Mugi! I forgot something necessary, so I have to go out. I'll meet you at the station instead.” Sawako improvised. She did not want the young woman to appear at the apartment only to wait for her hostess.

Excellent. I'll see you soon, sensei!” Sawako could practically feel the warmth Mugi's voice radiated as they ended the call. She felt a small tremor as she thought of Mugi's lips. 'I will not push. I will not push.' The teacher repeated the mantra under her breath as she locked her door behind her and headed for the station. She lived surprisingly close to it and the train would have been a godsend traveling to Sakura High School if she did not have a car. Several cherry blossoms fell on her head and as she walked, she absently brushed aside the petals. She let her mind wander and ended up free associating on several different topics, blossoms, graduation, Mugi, Mugi calling her 'sensei'. She wondered if Mugi would easily agree to drop the sensei following her name since they no longer had a student-teacher relationship.

The girl in question gently called out to Sawako as the teacher was still deep in thought. She looked up, a smile quickly coming to her lips. She would have liked to greet Mugi with a kiss but settled instead for a quick squeeze of her hand since they were in public with many people milling about. They walked towards a neighborhood shop, exchanging small talk, thrilled to be in the others presence.

Yo, Sawa-chan!”, shouted a pleasant male voice. Sawako cursed under her breath as the stranger approached and she recognized him. Mugi noted the teacher did not look happy to see him.

Hello Kouji.” Her voice held the barest hint of civility.

Hey, Sawa-chan, is that any way to greet an old flame?” His face held a wide grin the teacher wanted to slap right off his face. Mugi uttered a surprised gasp but the other two didn't notice. She looked at the man, he had a lean face with shaggy brown hair tumbling over his forehead, almost covering his dark eyes. Stubble adorned his face and she supposed many women might find him good looking, including the teacher. She suddenly felt a twinge of jealousy, knowing the man in front of her had probably touched her Sawako in ways she had only dreamt of.

Turning towards Mugi, he asked while appraising her, “Who's this blondie? She's cute! She single?” Mugi suddenly felt revolted but manners dictated giving her name even in situations like this. She was about to answer when Sawako spoke for her.

I don't see how that's any of your business. Why are you here?” In the past, Mugi heard many tones in the older woman's voice but never had she heard such coldness.

Aww c'mon. Don't be like that now.” Kouji replied with charm. Except it didn't work this time. Sawako glared at him. Mugi suddenly spotted the guitar case on Kouji's back and thought of a way to diffuse the situation.

Ah, Kouji-san, are you a musician perhaps?”

He straightened himself and grinned at Mugi. “Yeah, I am! Me and Sawa-chan go way back. Started in a band. I'm pretty good but her-,” He nodded towards Sawako for effect, “she's got some wicked guitar skills.”

Sawako did not acknowledge his praise, instead her lips were a slash of displeasure. Kouji's grin switched to a leer.

Of course, she's got some wicked skills in be-” He didn't get to finish the sentence as Sawako hauled off and slugged him in the jaw. Mugi stared, flabbergasted while Sawako cradled the hand she hit Kouji with.

Shut up, asshole!” She snarled, “You don't get to talk about my 'skills'. You sure as hell did nothing to deserve them!” She grabbed Mugi's hand and started to walk away. Then she turned back to Kouji and grinned, lifting her and Mugi's hand together triumphantly.

By the way, she's with me.”

His eyes were the size of saucers as he stared at their retreating back. “Son of a bitch!” He muttered.

As they walked away,Mugi had an expression of something akin to 'my hero' on her face as she stared at Sawako's profile, stars in her eyes.

-x-x-x-

Mio stood in front the door at the Tainaka's residence, her hand shaking as she lifted it to press the doorbell. Mugi's parting words to her on Sunday had haunted the raven haired young woman, sending her on a rollercoaster of emotions during the past couple of days. After thinking about it, Mio finally worked up the nerve on Tuesday to speak with Ritsu. She knew if she arranged to spend time with Ritsu beforehand she'd never get around to discussing the issue plaguing her. Stepping out the door, she almost made it halfway to the drummer's house. The idea of what she was about do loomed at the forefront of her mind, and fear took over. She promptly turned around, all courage lost, doubt and despair taking its place as she walked back home.

She repeated the process several times during the week.

As she stood staring at the door, her finger an inch away from the doorbell, she faltered once more. Flooded with panic, she stepped backwards. Her back hit the gate and as she turned to escape the front door opened. Ritsu's mother and younger brother Satoshi stepped out.

Mio!” Mrs. Tainaka exclaimed as she caught sight of the girl, “Ritsu didn't tell us you were coming over. I swear, that girl forgets everything!” Mrs. Tainaka said exasperatedly. “Hello, Mio-san!” Satoshi added with a grin that was very much like his older sister's.

Er...G-good evening, Tainaka-san, Satoshi-kun. ” Mio stuttered, “Um, she doesn't know. I thought I'd just drop by since I was out for a walk.”

Oh! Well then, please go ahead, Ritsu is in her room. There's food in the kitchen, covered in case you girls get hungry. We'll be out for a while.”

Don't let Ritsu eat all the food!” Satoshi added. Mio smiled at him then turned to Mrs. Tainaka. “Thank you, Tainaka-san. Please enjoy your evening.”

They left, with Mio standing in the entryway. As the door closed behind her she felt rooted to the spot. Suddenly she noticed loud music coming from the direction of Ritsu's room. She decided at that moment she had two options. She could leave and stay friends with Ritsu forever. Or she could take Mugi's advice and take the few footsteps to the energetic girl's room. Her heart ached as she imagined a repulsed expression on Ritsu's face.

A loud yell of “I'm free!” pierced Mio's thoughts and she became curious about what the other girl was doing. She stepped out of her shoes and into the hallway. The music was so loud it masked her footsteps. The bedroom door was ajar, the drummer's back to it. Mio became entranced by the sight of Ritsu, who pretended to beat on the drums in time with the music. The girl was singing along to the song, which by then Mio recognized as The Who's I'm Free. She hopped up and down, her short hair bouncing at the enthusiastic movement, her hips swinging from one side to the next. Mio's face flushed at the movement as she thought 'I didn't know she could move like that.' She giggled, titillated and amused all at once at the drummer's actions.

I'm free! ...I'm waiting for you to follow me...”

Ritsu spun around and caught Mio mid-giggle. She elicited a shocked 'Ahh!', taking a step back. Unaware a table was right behind her, she toppled backwards, crashing onto the floor. Mio rushed into the room, panic for her friend taking over. She knew the accident was her fault, if only she hadn't snuck up on Ritsu...

Ritsu rubbed her head, groaning in pain. Mio came to her aid, helping her up. They sat on the edge of the bed, Mio fussing over the other girl. Ritsu shook her head and pointed to the cd player. Mio understood immediately and turned the music off.

Geez, Mio”. The brown haired girl said as she continued rubbing the sore spot on her head.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to surprise you-” Mio babbled, anxiety apparent on her face. She had forgotten for a moment why she was visiting.

Ritsu didn't hear Mio's apology, instead words falling freely from her lips, “God! What are you now? Some kind of peeping tom sneaking into people's houses?!!” Mio felt embarrassed, but another feeling quickly took over.

Ritsu's head sported a lump and was now hurting twice as much.

-x-x-x-

They entered the apartment, Sawako holding the door open to let Mugi in before she trudged in. They had not spoken a word to each other after their encounter with Kouji. Sawako hissed, her hand throbbing in pain.

Motherf-” She did not finish the expletive as her eyes fell on Mugi, finishing lamely instead with, “...Oh my god, that hurts!” Mugi giggled before she took Sawako's hand in her own hands, cradling it gently.

Sawako-sensei...”

Mugi-chan...”

They both spoke at the same time, stopped and waited for the other to continue. As the silence stretched, Mugi politely suggested, “Why don't you go first, Sensei?”

Sawako scratched the back of her neck with her unhurt hand, her eyes averted. She finally looked at the expectant girl. “I'm really sorry you had to witness that. Kouji is-was, a rather unfortunate mistake from my past. But in a way, I'm not that sorry. Someone like him illustrates how lucky I am right now.” She caressed the side of Mugi's face, color blooming on the girl's cheek.

Mugi chuckled, “Actually, I was about to tell you that I thought that was the coolest thing I have ever seen.” She looked at Sawako adoringly. Once in a while Mugi had the tendency to surprise the people around her. Now happened to be one of those times. Sawako didn't know what to say.

A thought hit her and she groaned. “Oh, crap! I need to serve dinner-” Mugi led her to the low table in the living room, taking over. “Sensei, why don't you sit and relax. I'll take care of everything.”

But-” Mugi's determined expression stopped Sawako short. “Alright, everything is in the kitchen already prepared. I just had to bring it all out.” She explained to the blonde who nodded happily and set off toward the kitchen. Mugi brought the covered dishes in but not before finding an ice pack for Sawako's hand. The teacher wondered where Mugi found it and if she even owned an ice pack. Finally the younger woman settled down, taking a seat next to Sawako. She uncovered the dishes and gasped in surprise.

Oh my!I had no idea you were such a good cook, Sawako-sensei! Everything smells delicious. ” The girl exclaimed, surprise evident on her face. Sawako didn't know whether she should be pleased or insulted at the younger woman's reaction. She looked at all the food laid out, onigiri(riceball), some sushi rolls, yakizakana(grilled fish), miso soup and gyoza(dumplings). She then smiled wryly as she remembered her friends reactions as well. They had been shocked the freewheeling Sawa-chan knew how to prepare traditional Japanese dishes and so well too.

She was about to pick up her chopsticks when Mugi leaned closer to her and asked, “Say 'ah', Sensei.” Automatically opening her mouth to accept the food, the teacher thought 'Is she testing my reaction first before she begins eating?' She chewed, then thought “Nah, Mugi isn't like that.”

Mugi on the other hand had just taken a bite while thinking, 'Sawako-sensei's lips were on these chopsticks.' Flavor bloomed in her mouth taking her thoughts away from Sawako for a moment. “This really tastes wonderful, Sensei!” She gushed, “How did you learn to cook so well?”

Sawako smiled, happy the young woman could enjoy her efforts. “Thanks, Mugi-chan. I had a strict grandmother. She made sure I knew how to cook because she was concerned about me being a proper housewife.” Her brown eyes rolled at that prospect. “Imagine her consternation when I became the metal playing black sheep of the family.” Mugi nodded seriously. She knew exactly what it felt like to have things expected of her. Whether she liked it or not. Sawako noticed the younger woman's somber expression.

Mugi, eat. We can talk about this stuff later, don't you agree?”

Of course, Sensei.” Mugi replied, smiling warmly at the older woman as she elegantly brought the chopsticks to her lips.

-x-x-x-


“I don't know why you have to hit me every time, Mio-chan.” Ritsu pouted. “Besides, you were the one sneaking around in my house. Pervert.” Mio glared but Ritsu once again ignored the warning signs. She wondered to herself for the millionth time why she loved an idiot like Ritsu. They were now sitting on the floor of the drummer's room. She sighed.

I didn't sneak as you so nicely put it! Your mother let me in.” Mio explained. Her ire abated quickly, the girl's reactions always intense but never lengthy. Especially when it came to Ritsu. She just couldn't stay mad.

How's your head?” She asked.

It's not so bad now.” Ritsu answered, not particularly concerned.

In a move that surprised herself and her friend, Mio's hand gently caressed the spot where Ritsu hit her head. The drummer stared at her in shocked silence as the hand brushed through the golden brown locks. Mio forgot herself at that moment, the tactile sensation of Ritsu's silky hair between her fingers taking over. Her breathing slowed as she allowed herself to touch Ritsu, who had taken off her customary yellow hair band to ease the pain.

Mio.” The name was spoken softly and woke her from the daze. Seeing just how close she was to Ritsu, she scooted backwards, shock plain on her face. “I-I...” She stuttered once again, licking her lips in an unconscious gesture. The action brought brought Ritsu's amber gaze zoning onto Mio's plump parted lips. Mio's anxiety hit the roof, she had no words to explain herself. She was panicking so much she didn't notice Ritsu didn't look upset at all. The girl squeaked as the drummer suddenly grabbed her and wrapped her arms around her. She tried pulling away at first but after a moment let herself melt into Ritsu's embrace. She closed her eyes, laying her head on the other girl's shoulder.

Ritsu felt Mio's body finally relaxing. “What's wrong, Mio?” She grew concerned when she heard and felt the sobs coming from Mio. In response she simply sat there, rocking with the young woman in her arms. She knew eventually Mio would tell her whatever was wrong. But she was also confused about Mio's sudden tenderness towards her a few moments ago. 'Nevermind that,' she thought to herself, 'I just want to help Mio right now.' Despite that, she couldn't help thinking how soft Mio felt against her.

Mio drew a deep breath as her tears died away. She knew she'd have to explain herself now. She owed that much to Ritsu. She tightened her grip around the drummer, thinking maybe this might be the last time she would get to hug her friend. The thought brought fresh tears to her eyes but through sheer will she refrained from giving in. It had gotten dark while the two girls sat on the floor, indicating quite some time had passed. Mugi's words came unbidden to her mind. “Yeah...no regrets.” She whispered.

Ritsu wondered what Mio's words meant and was about to ask when the grey eyed girl pulled back and looked her squarely in the face. Mio's direct gaze was so unlike her but there was something in the depths of her eyes that convinced the usually vivacious drummer to hold back. Her face drew close to Ritsu's, her lips parted, her breathing slow. Tears welled at the corners of her eyes. The drummer froze in place, asking herself if Mio was doing what she thought she was doing. Her amber eyes wide open as Mio's drifted closer, their lips touching for what seemed an eternity but only lasted a moment.

Mio?”, Ritsu whispered in a dazed manner. Mio, glanced at her, trepidation on her face.

Mio,” Ritsu whispered again, unseeing, “Kiss me again.” 'This can't be happening,' The brown haired girl thought to herself as Mio closed in again, red on her cheeks vibrant. She felt Mio's lips move against hers slowly, haltingly, before retreating once again. Warmth bloomed on her face, she grabbed the bassist's hands in her own, entwining their fingers together.

Mio looked down at their hands, a fresh trail of tears on her face, her voice tremulous, “Ritsu, please don't hate me. Because...I love you, so much.”

Mio?” Ritsu requested one more thing, her voice quiet, disbelief obvious, “Hit me, please.”


-x-x-x-

Mugi smiled blissfully, her stomach full with the wonderful meal Sawako prepared. After eating she insisted on cleaning up while the teacher applied the ice pack to her hand. Sawako protested she didn't need it but younger woman gave her another determined gaze. Stepping closer she bent over and pressed her lips to the teacher's effectively shutting her up. Sawako parted her lips and nipped Mugi's bottom lip. She could feel the smile of the younger woman against her mouth. She reached up and pulled her former student into her lap, their lips still connected. Their arms wound around each other, Mugi's around Sawako's shoulders, the older woman's around Mugi's waist.

Mugi pulled away, “Sensei, I have to clean up.” But the smile on her face implied she really didn't mind kissing. In fact she'd love to do it again. It was a game now, playfully finding ways to get closer to each other.

The teacher grinned lazily, her glasses glinting. “Leave it.” Her brow furrowed as she thought of something. Mugi wanted to use her fingers to smooth out the creases. 'There's no one to stop me, why not?', she thought to herself. She did just that, her fingers gently gliding over Sawako's brows. “Don't be so serious, Sawako-sensei.” Sawako smiled at the action but spoke what was on her mind. “Mugi-chan, could you just call me Sawako?” She gently reminded the girl, “There's no need to call me Sensei now.”

I will try, but I can't make any promises. I've been calling you Sensei for so long, it will be a hard habit to break.” Mugi admitted. “More importantly, we seemed to have gotten into a fix here.” She wiggled in the woman's lap as if to illustrate a point. Sawako planted a quick kiss on Mugi's forehead.

There!” She exclaimed to the girl, “That should do it.” Mugi pouted, pretending to be disappointed. Sawako placed a finger on her cheek as if thinking of solutions for a weighty problem.

Oh!” With a 'eureka!' expression on her face she gave Mugi a peck on the lips.

The girl shook her head gravely. “I'm afraid that won't take care of the problem, Sensei.”

Hmmm...”Sawako went back to 'thinking'.

Mugi squirmed, her proximity to Sawako doing dangerous things to her libido. A familiar ache flared up in her midsection as Sawako kissed one corner of her mouth, then another. She placed another kiss on the tip of Mugi's nose, one her chin and finally her lips. Mugi pressed against her, impatience driving her. Gently biting the teacher's upper lip, she swiped her tongue across it before diving into the woman's open mouth. All she could feel and think about was Sawako, wanting to get closer. Her hands were buried in the teacher's hair, while Sawako's hands trailed up and down Mugi's back. They pulled apart, gasping for air. Mugi leaned forward on Sawako, causing them both to fall back onto the floor.

Conveniently enough, they landed in a position where one of Sawako's thighs pressed against the juncture of Mugi's legs. Mugi gasped as she felt the pressure against her, while Sawako wore a smirk that set the young woman's heart beating at an incredibly fast pace. Looking down at the teacher, their bodies intimately tangled with each other, an intense heat built up in Mugi. She didn't smile, this time she dove straight for the woman's lips. Aroused as she was there was one thing she had to say, she needed to say it before they went any further.

She broke the kiss and rested her head on Sawako's shoulder, the pale gold strands of her hair joined the autumn colored tresses of the teacher. They stayed that way a moment, thinking the other could probably hear the sound of their racing hearts.

Sawako...”

Tsumugi...”

They spoke at the same time again, and laughed when they realized it.

You first.” Sawako prompted this time.

I love you, Sawako-sensei.” Her azure eyes gazed into Sawako's as she murmered the words. The older woman's cheeks were pink, her lips curving into a loving smile. She brushed Mugi's hair away from her eyes gently.

I love you too, Mugi-chan.” She indicated the younger girl to get up and stood up as well. She then took Mugi by the hand and led her to the bedroom where she proceeded to show the girl exactly how much she cared.




Onwards to Part 5


Back to Pale Gold Amidst Autumn Index - Back to K-ON! Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction