Pale Gold Amidst Autumn (part 3 of 5)

a K-ON! fanfiction by Museless

Back to Part 2

Chapter 3: Mio speaks up



“Mugi.”

Mugi-sempai!”

Mugi was currently in a Sawako induced daze suddenly came to her senses when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She looked up from her keyboard to see Azusa, concern written on her face. She wasn't the only one. The other members of Afternoon Tea Time were looking at Mugi worriedly.

Mugi-sempai, are you alright?” Azusa voiced what they all wanted to ask.

Oh my, Yes! My apologies everyone, I'm not quite sure where my head is today, forgive me.” She answered their looks with a beatific smile, her hands clasped together in front of her chest. The band members looked at each other then shrugged. If Mugi said she was fine, then she must be. Everyone seemed convinced except Mio and Azusa but they went back to their instruments anyway. As her fingers picked the first notes from her bass, Mio decided she would talk with Mugi in private.

They played through a set of songs, this time without any interruptions or incidents. Because they were now alumni and not students, the girls could not use the clubroom anymore. Luckily, Mio's parents suggested they could use the Akiyamas' garage until they left for university. Thankful about the generous offer from Mio's parents the band decided to have practice Sunday and also pay the family a visit to thank them personally. Everyone arrived expecting to meet the Akiyamas but Mio informed them her parents were out that day. Not surprisingly Mugi brought sweets and so they sat around Mio's living room after band practice enjoying tea and different desserts.

Before they all left Mio casually asked Mugi if she could stay for a little longer. She explained she wanted some help with the new lyrics and musical arrangement. Mugi, eager to please, assented. The others left, Ritsu and Yui charging towards the door with plans to visit an arcade after eating said sweets. Azusa trailed behind them reluctantly, delegated to the role of keeping the two in order even though she was younger.

Mugi and Mio got to work immediately and the musical arrangement worked out well enough between the two. Mio, being Mio couldn't say what was on her mind however as they finished up. She told herself that she wanted to make sure Mugi was fine, she wasn't just being nosy and it was time to speak up or else the blonde would leave.

Er...Mugi...” She asked hesitatingly.

Yes, Mio-chan?” Mugi answered promptly, her blue eyes reflecting happiness at being able to help a friend.

I was...ah...” Mio stumbled, still not sure if this was the right thing to do. Then again, Mugi was her friend and she wanted to know. She took a deep breath, her face red. She looked down. “I...wanted to know if you are really alright. You've never zoned out like that when we practice. It's unusual for you.” She looked up to see Mugi's beaming face.

Thank you so much for being worried, Mio. You really are a good friend.” The other girl blushed at her words. “Everything is fine. Wonderful in fact, I couldn't be happier.” The blonde leaned forward in a confidential manner, her blue eyes twinkling. “Can I tell you something?”

Mio nodded, her raven hair waving behind her. “Of course, anything!” She blurted, in order to redeem herself for being so nosy. Then she blanched internally as she thought, 'Wait, anything?' Mugi wasn't like Ritsu but who knows what she might say...Mio quickly squashed the thought and paid attention to her friend.

I was out with Sawako-sensei yesterday.” At Mio's blank look, the blonde elaborated, “As in a date.” Mugi glowed with happiness, continuing “The truth is, I'm really in love with her.”

Mio shivered as she remembered all the times Sawako caused her trauma one way or another. 'That madwoman?!' She sighed to herself as she looked at her friend. Despite the Sawako's actions towards Mio, she really must be doing something right if her friend looked that happy. Putting aside her bias against the teacher, she clasped Mugi's hands in her own. “Does she feel the same way towards you?” The blonde girl nodded enthusiastically. Smiling, she stated simply, “I'm happy for you.” Mio meant it as well. All the years she had known Mugi, she had seen her content or pleased but never happy the way she looked at that moment.

Mugi hugged Mio on impulse. “Thank you Mio! You have no idea how much those words mean to me.” She drew back, slightly teary eyed and Mio fidgeted at the emotion. “You're the first person I've told. It feels good to say it out loud.”

Not that I'm objecting to your relationship but what's going to happen when we go to university? And what about your parents? Are you going to tell them?” Mio's panic for Mugi bubbled up, allowing her to blurt out the fears already running rampant in her head. Because Mio, being Mio, always worried.

A frown marred Mugi's features as she considered Mio's questions. It wasn't like she hadn't thought about these things, it just seemed unimportant for now. Yet she knew the time was short before their entry to a new school.

Time is passing by quickly. Three years ago I met you and Ritsu and Yui and we became a band, even better, we became friends along with Azusa. Three years can seem like a long time to some people, but to me it passed by so quickly. Maybe it felt that way because of all the fun times and memories we share. In a few weeks, we're heading towards a place where we will have to make choices for ourselves. We can never step back. We'll be adults. I want to experience all those things with my friends at my side. And Sawako-sensei as well because I don't want to regret any moment.” Mugi smiled gently as she spoke.

Sawako-sensei and I will be apart, yes. But we won't be that far apart that we'll never see each other. We can always compromise and meet halfway. As for my parents...I'll tell them soon. I'd rather they didn't go through all the effort of setting up marriage meetings.” Mio seemed a bit shocked by Mugi's words but didn't say anything.


It's selfish isn't it?” Asked Mugi, after a moment.


No! Not at all! Your happiness is important. B-But considering the type of relationship...It's just...Not all parents are supportive.” Mio answered quickly. Mugi sensed Mio had put a lot of thought into that idea.

I just don't want to live with regret, Mio-chan.” Mugi sighed. So did Mio.

I didn't think you were this brave Mugi.” Mio admitted, gazing at the blonde as if seeing her in a whole new light.

Mugi got ready to leave. “Anyone can be brave Mio-chan. You just have to want whatever it is that will bring you happiness badly enough.”

They hugged each other before saying goodbye at the door. Before Mio could close it Mugi turned to the raven haired girl.

You should tell her. It's much better than wracking your brains with 'what ifs'?” Mio stood there gaping long after Mugi walked off. Suddenly she realized the neighbors might have seen her like that. She flushed beet red and closed the door quickly, Mugi's words echoing in her ears hours after.

Onwards to Part 4


Back to Pale Gold Amidst Autumn Index - Back to K-ON! Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction