The Power of Fate (part 3 of 13)

a Higurashi no Naku Koro ni fanfiction by MousE0910

Back to Part 2

Rika's Return

After that night, Rika started going to school again. Everyone looked surprised when she just showed up, without explaining anything. Everyone began to ask her questions but Rika dismissed them all with a smile. Just as they were about to begin a new wave of questions, Chie-sensei came in and started the class.

Satoko sat beside Rika, as usual, and whispered to her silently.

"Rika, why don't you speak with us? You keep on smiling but don't explain anything. Why didn't you come to school in the first place? It looked like you were in a deep sorrow."

Rika looked at Satoko and giggled a little.

"What are you talking about, Satoko? I just wasn't feeling too well, that's all. Nipaa~"

"Oh, really?" Satoko knew Rika for long enough to recognize that she is lying. "Are you sure it's not because you know about Hanyuu's fate?"

"How... How do you know something like that?"

"Hanyuu told us. We gave her no choice. Don't worry, Rika. We share your pain."

Surprisingly enough, Rika didn't look sad. Satoko wondered why. Suddenly, Rika burst into a huge laugh.

"Pain? I feel no pain. I feel only joy, for I know a way to save Hanyuu."

"Really? That's great news. We have to tell them!"

The principal rang the bell and everyone started packing their things and leaving the class. Satoko began to rise when she was stopped by Rika's hand. She looked at Rika and saw a serious expression in her face.

"Don't." Rika said coldly in her mature voice.

"B-But why? Why can't I tell them? I have to tell at least Hanyuu."

"No. Especially not Hanyuu. She must not know about this. Never. Otherwise, there won't be a way for me to save her anymore. For this to work, Hanyuu must know nothing about this. Do you understand?"

"Yes. I won't tell anybody about this."

Days passed and Rika almost started to hope that Hanyuu was wrong. That no artifact will ever exist and Hanyuu was just letting her imagination run wild. However, deep inside, Rika knew that it was real. She was sure of it.

One late night, when Rika just sat on the window and drank her favorite Sake, Hanyuu came to her.

"Rika... It's time for me. The artifact has appeared." Hanyuu couldn't hold her tears back anymore and held to Rika desperately.

"I'm so sorry Rika, for not being able to stay here with you. For all the pain I caused you. I hope you will live happily."

Rika hugged Hanyuu more closely and whispered in her ear.

"Don't worry, Hanyuu. It's not your fault. You don't have to apologize."

"T-Thank you." Hanyuu sobbed and smiled at Rika for one last time.

"Take care of yourself. Sayonara, Rika."

"Sayonara..." Rika also cried, unable to withstand the sudden burden of reality without Hanyuu.

Just when Hanyuu was about to go, she stopped in her tracks and looked back at Rika.

"Rika... Please, don't try to follow me. It will be better for you that way."

"I understand... I won't follow you."

"Thank you." Hanyuu smiled sadly at Rika one last time and went on her grim journey.

When Hanyuu left, Rika quickly forced herself to stop crying. She could not afford to cry now. Not if she wanted to save Hanyuu. Rika dried her tears and quietly sneaked out. It wasn't all that hard to find Hanyuu. Rika managed to catch up with her before the first crossroad. Hanyuu walked slowly, looking to the ground. Suddenly, Hanyuu stopped and looked behind her. Rika only barely managed to hide herself behind a tree. She heard Hanyuu mumble to herself.

"Hmm? Just my imagination? I'm getting paranoid. Calm down, Hanyuu. There's no one that would follow you."

Hanyuu began to walk again and Rika moved with her. She carefully sneaked from tree to tree and hoped that Hanyuu won't look back at a wrong time.

Suddenly, Hanyuu stopped again.

"Why is she stopping? Did she see me? This may be bad." Rika squeezed herself behind a tree and peeked a little. She saw Hanyuu glow a little. The glow got gradually stronger and stronger to the point it was almost unbearable to look at it. Hanyuu lifted from the ground and said something in a language Rika didn't understand. It seemed like it's from another world. For all Rika knew, it may very well be so. Hanyuu dropped back to the ground and the glow weakened a little but it didn't disappear. Hanyuu continued on her route. She now moved with greater certainty. It looked almost like she was following something. Rika didn't have time to think about it as she had to run in order to catch up with Hanyuu again. It was now much harder for Rika to stay unseen, because Hanyuu moved much faster than before. Finally, they came to a trash dump. Rika couldn't understand why would Hanyuu go to this place. Before she realized it, Hanyuu was already in the center of the dump. A black ball of energy levitated before her and Rika immediately knew that this is the artifact Hanyuu was talking about. There was no time to spare. She has to act now. Her legs began moving in Hanyuu's direction. Rika only hoped she would make it in time.

Hanyuu slowly made her way toward the artifact, thinking about her life with Rika. Suddenly, she heard something. Hanyuu immediately jerked herself to stop and looked behind herself. She didn't see anyone.

"Hmm? Just my imagination? I'm getting paranoid. Calm down, Hanyuu. There's no one that would follow you."

Hanyuu went back on her way. After a while, she felt a thump in her chest. It's close. Hanyuu focused and tapped into her remaining godly powers. She searched for the artifact. Hanyuu felt it and made an abstract line to the artifact she could follow. Hanyuu now knew where the artifact is. It was logical. It's the most remote place in Hinamizawa. Hanyuu made her way to the trash dump. She located the artifact and used her powers to raise it in the air. She could feel the vile aura. Hanyuu took a deep breath.

"So, this is it. This is the end."

She prepared to absorb the artifact when she heard a desperate scream.

"NO!"

Hanyuu looked in the direction of the scream and blinked in surprise.

"Rika?"

Her concentration broke and the artifact started to fall to the ground.

"What are you doing here?" Hanyuu shouted at Rika.

Without wasting her breath on answer, Rika jumped for the black ball and caught it in the air.

"I made it!" Rika thought as she plummeted to the ground.

Hanyuu saw Rika fall and rip open her leg badly on a scrap of metal.

"Rika! Are you alright? What were you thinking? Give me the artifact. You need to go to the hospital."

Rika slowly dragged herself from the ground and smiled at Hanyuu in her own special way.

"Don't worry Hanyuu, I won't let you perish. I will save you."

Rika slammed the ball into herself, absorbing it.

Onwards to Part 4


Back to The Power of Fate Index - Back to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction