The Power of Fate (part 2 of 13)

a Higurashi no Naku Koro ni fanfiction by MousE0910

Back to Part 1

Revelation of a Secret

Later that day, Hanyuu explained everything to Rika in detail. Because Rika defied Fate, a paradox has occurred. Fate is something that is decided and shouldn't be changed. However, Rika managed to create a miracle and defied Fate. Because of that, a mysterious artifact appeared in this world. This artifact contains all sins, madness and evil from both the worlds that already passed and the worlds that were yet to come about, should Rika die again. Everything concentrated in this one single artifact. It held immerse power. It would be complete disaster if somebody were to find it. Although Rika understood how dangerous it was, she couldn't imagine, how it relates to Hanyuu.

"Rika... You know about my life, before I became like this, don't you?"

"Yes. If I remember correctly, you were a shrine maiden, miko, just like I am, right?"

"That's right. However, people of that time were sinful. In order to redeem their sins and give them a chance to live, I have been sacrificed."

"And you became known as Oyashiro-sama..." Rika grasped the situation.

"I am the bearer of sins. It is my sacred duty to redeem people of their sins. I have to find and destroy that artifact. I am the only one, who can do it. It is my duty."

"Then... That means..."

"Yes. I have to absorb the artifact into myself. However, it is too powerful to bear, even for me. That's why my life is going to end and with it, the artifact will be destroyed. After that, you can finally live freely."

"What are you saying? How can I ever live freely without you? I don't want anyone to die!" Then, a thought crossed Rika's mind. "But you will return to the 'place between worlds', won't you, Hanyuu? Then, maybe, you could find a way to return to this world."

"I'm sorry Rika, that is not possible. I won't return back. I will cease to exist at all. No other worlds, no other chances, nothing. It will be the definite end for me."

"No! No! No. No..." Rika started to weep silently. "This can't be real. It has to be some sort of nightmare. This cannot be real. Cannot be. Cannot be..."

Hanyuu couldn't find any words to soothe Rika's sadness. Everything she could do was to apologize: "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."

After that, Rika fell into a state of constant sadness. She didn't talk, she didn't move, she only cried. Hanyuu had to come several times a day and force her to eat and drink. Rika didn't allow anyone else to come close to her. Whenever Satoko approached her, Rika ran into the forest and stayed there, until Hanyuu found her and persuaded her to return. Hanyuu felt really sad for Rika but she knew that, eventually, Rika will be back to normal. However, her friends had different opinions.

"Hey, Satoko, what's with Rika? She hasn't come to school in several days, we're becoming really worried. Did something happen?"

"I don't know. She hasn't spoken a word since she stopped coming to school. Whenever I get close to her, she runs away. The only person that is able to speak with her is Hanyuu."

"Hmm. Let's ask her." Mion took lead, as usual.

"Okay. But where is she? Her seat is empty..." Keiichi asked suspiciously.

"That's strange... She has been here a while ago."

"Hauu~" Everyone turned to the source of the sound. "Omochikaeri!" It was Rena, holding Hanyuu closely and spinning around with her.

"Hey, Rena, what are you doing? We have to ask Hanyuu an important thing. She may know something about Rika's strange behavior." Keiichi looked angry.

"I know. I have already tried asking her but she doesn't want to tell us anything."

"Oh. So that's how it is. Sorry for being mad at you, Rena."

"That's okay. I understand."

Mion took the lead again: "Hanyuu, you know something about Rika, don't you? Please, tell us."

"Au au au... I... I... can't..."

"Nonsense!" Keiichi interrupted her. "You can tell us everything. Together, we will come up with something. It is important to talk to your friends! That's what we all learned, right?"

"That's right!" Everyone replied simultaneously.

"Hanyuu, please. Rika is my dearest friend. I have to know what happened to her. Please, tell me." Satoko's eyes became watery.

Everyone looked at Hanyuu in expectation.

"Au au au... Don't look at me like that..."

"Then tell us! What happened to Rika?"

Hanyuu looked around herself. She looked into the faces of her friends and when she saw that they are all determined to find out the truth, she sighed.

"I guess it can't be helped... Very well, I'll tell you but promise me one thing in return."

"Of course. What is it?"

"Look after Rika for me, will you?"

"S-Sure but why do you ask such a thing?"

Hanyuu slowly raised her head and looked into their eyes.

"I'll tell you then. Listen closely as it pains my heart to talk about it."

Back at the Furude Shrine, a blue haired girl finally stopped crying. She slowly rose from the floor and dried her tears. Rika came out and looked at the sky. That's it. That's it! She now finally knows a way to save Hanyuu! It is really simple. Why didn't she think of that in the beginning? Rika shouted into the night.

"I know! I know it now! There is a way! Don't worry, Hanyuu, I'll save you! I'll save you!"

Onwards to Part 3


Back to The Power of Fate Index - Back to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction