Yaya's Voice (part 8 of 13)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Asakust

Back to Part 7 Untitled Document

Italic – for thoughts.

Italic and underline – for Yaya’s written lines.

Bold – for shouting.

Underline – for Yaya’s mouthed lines.

----------

Filler: Rin : A Fan-Club huh?

The other girls have been bothering me about this for weeks… It’s about my classmate, Nanto Yaya… Former Choir Ace, a bit of a troublemaker but an especially good friend to have. Or at least so I’ve heard. She’s been my classmate since I entered Spica, so that’s probably about two and a half years by now. We don’t really talk much; though I’m quite sure she tried to befriend me once last year. Unfortunately I was pretty much not talking to anyone at the time.

Anyway a lot of girls who have started to like her have been starting to meet. Sharing encounter stories with Nanto-san, any rumors surrounding her, a great collection of pictures nude and non-nude a like and even articles that she had touched. I recall someone auctioning her hair and made a small fortune. After all that I thought they’d be satisfied. But unfortunately it seems that they want the girl to recognize them. And I happened to suggest to them about forming a club and having it acknowledged by her. It happened like this…

About two months ago… Sakura, my… uh... friend and junior had been infatuated with Nanto Yaya. I don’t exactly know when she started liking her. But I do know she’s been awfully obsessed… I mean she’s bought quite a few pictures of her and she did buy a swimsuit and a few articles of clothes that the girl had sold because it didn’t fit her anymore. When I asked about it before, Sakura said that she liked the clothes not who wore it before.

Anyway Sakura’s interest and admiration has been growing quite steadily and me, being the Nanto-san’s classmate, instantly elected me a position to get information and things that Nanto-san has used and left. At first I didn’t really understand her obsession. And just to satisfy her I gave her small random things like a crumpled piece of paper, a broken pencil and even a string, then claim that Nanto-san had used them.

It was easy and not the least bit troublesome… to me or Nanto-san. But after I saw Sakura’s happy face, holding fake Nanto Yaya touched items… I felt bad and went after something I’m sure Sakura would forgive me if I gave it to her. And that was a few strands of Nanto-san’s hair. It was hard task… I had tried almost anything to get me some of her hair. But in the end I ended up just asking her for it… And the surprising thing was she gave it to me barely asking why.

Even Sakura was surprised when I handed to her a small bundle of about 3 inch long raven black hair. But not as surprised when she learns that the next day that the girl had cut her hair a few inches short. Sakura traded a few strands of that hair to collect pictures and items of Nanto-san’s. She was pretty satisfied after that. She knew nothing could beat owning a part of Nanto-san.

After a while she and other girls formed a fan club. Sure they were informal and unknown to the one they were worshiping… but they seemed happy. I hear that they would go to all her recitals… relay anything new about her and the likes. I’m surprised that Nanto-san hasn’t noticed. That or she doesn’t mind.

But after a while they seemed to want more. One night Sakura told me about their club’s depression that began to escalate since Nanto-san had stopped coming to choir practice. I jokingly told her that they should just confront Nanto-san and get her acknowledgement that they had a fan club dedicated to her, so that they could worship and watch her closely like Ootori’s and Hanazono’s fan clubs do. It was supposed to be a joke, or at least a half assed suggestion.

Unfortunately Sakura didn’t see it that way. She had told the other members of the club that they should do that. And unfortunately the one who had to ask was… me.

I asked them why. I expected that they would say some stupid reason about it being my suggestion so I had to do it. But instead I got begging and something about me being the only person they know close enough to Nanto-san. Also something about since I wasn’t a fan I didn’t have to worry about revealing myself when Nanto-san declines. Which made sense, if they were discovered they would have a harder time stalking her wouldn’t they?

I agreed after some convincing… but to too a while for me to actually get the chance too.

And that chance came a Thursday afternoon. Some girls had spotted her and her best friend heading to the cafeteria for lunch. Myself, Sakura and Ilya followed them and saw them in line. We ordered our food almost before the two friends could. Actually… only Konohana-san ordered, while Nanto-san too her time deciding what to eat. Since we had ordered we’d only look suspicious if we stayed standing, so we headed for a table where a few of Sakura’s friends have already gathered.

We almost aborted the plan, until I soon realized that the girl that sat behind me on the other table was Konohana-san. Ilya and Sakura talked, about Nanto-san… even dragging me to the conversation, something about a hickey on Nanto-san. I could have sworn I heard Konohana-san jump of her seat just a tad bit when she heard it. It took a while before Nanto-san came with her tray of food. I almost laughed when I heard the blonde girl, jerk and scream in surprise when her best friend touched her shoulder and claimed to be out of it.

The girls including Sakura, then began pleading me to ask Nanto-san now. I delayed it for a bit, making some excuse about wanting to finish my food… but I wanted Nanto-san to eat a bit, she looked like she needed it. I mean everyone has notice how thinner she’s getting. But after a few minutes the girls just wont let me be.

I stood up and walked to Nanto-san. I brought out my most polite smile, even though the people I am about to greet are my classmates... I just felt the need to appear extra nice and proper to ask this question.

“Good Afternoon! Nanto-san. Konohana-san.” I greeted them. Making sure I called them by their family names. I wouldn’t want to start making it look like we are close or anything. I’m quite sure Sakura and the damn group of fan girls would start bothering me even more.

The blonde girl was the first to look up and greet me. “Good Afternoon! Tousaka-san.” she said with a smile. But there was this great feeling of dread and anxiety around her. Which made me wonder if the girl was starting to have feelings for her best friend, while still seeing the one girl most of Spica would do almost anything to give them the time of day.

I turned to Nanto-san, she smiled and waved at me. I don’t know why but I felt a bit warm… I must be nervous too.

“Pardon me asking Nanto-san, a lot of girls have been wondering about this lately…” realized that my hands were shaking a bit when my mind noted that my eyes were in deep contact with hers. I tried to keep calm and level headed. I can’t back out of this now.

“They wanted me to ask you too… Um… too…” I was really nervous. Why did it have to be me?!

I coughed lightly into my closed fist to clear my throat. “Would it be alright… if some girls form a Fan Club for you?”

‘There I finally said it!’ I looked at Nanto-san… she didn’t look too surprised by the question. In fact she appeared quite calm. Which ticked me off a bit… of course I wasn’t stupid enough to show that I was…

She blinked curiously at me a few times, before flipping open her notebook and wrote something. She then shows me her message, which turned out to be a question. I sort of expected what she would ask.

Do I have to do anything?”

I smiled as I read it, happy that I was right in guessing her question. It seemed honest, you can’t really expect someone to know what to do when asked what I just did. I shook my head for her and told her: “The only thing we need you to do is recognize it as your Fan Club.”

She seemed to be thinking about it for a moment. Actually I could careless what the answer is… I just want it over with. She smiled then shrugged her shoulders very slightly that you’d hardly notice it. She then wrote: “If that’s all, I guess… It wouldn’t really hurt would it…”

I read it and smiled. ‘Finally it’s over.’ Turned to the girls around us… apparently most of the tables around Konohana-san and Nanto-san are occupied by her Fan Club. With a voice large enough I told the girls: “Well girls you can worship her all you want now!”

This caused a lot of girls to scream for joy. About half a classroom’s worth of girls rushed from their tables and converged around the table that the two best friends were occupying. They began to happily complement their “idol”, praising and squealing for joy, happy to be within 10 feet of the raven haired girl. I was actually a bit jealous of her. ‘A tiny bit…’

The poor girl was a bit overwhelmed by the great number. I suppose she was not expecting them to actually wait for their answer. Maybe I should tell her that this is only half of the lowerclassmen members... in Spica. She’d probably flip if she learned that she at least had more than two classes worth of fans from the other schools too.

Anyway her fans were getting out of hand. The girl was mute now… how can they just throw question after question at her. Really these girls… it’s amazing how quickly manners fly away when it’s most needed. It was then that a girl spoke up… and not just any girl. It was Konohana, Hikari-san. She had said something… which I didn’t catch. But it was enough to provoke a mob of fan girls. I was glad I had moved away as soon as the girls began converging on their table. I wouldn’t want to get caught in any cat fights…

I could hear them yelling quite angrily… saying things like.

“Who are you to tell us that?”

“Aren’t you the one who’s always bothering Yaya-sama!”

“What do you know?!”

And… “You don’t deserve Yaya-onee-sama’s attention!”

I saw Konohana’s face. She looked like she was going to cry… I regret not just making the stupid suggestion now… I even regret doing it. I felt partially responsible for what the girl was going thru. The rage of Fan Girls can’t be underestimated I guess. Feeling responsible for her torment, I decided that the right thing to do was help her out.

But before I could do anything a loud banging was heard echoing in the whole cafeteria… All the girls around the two best friends, backed away in fear and surprise. In the middle I saw… Nanto-san, with her hands on the table. She had her eyes closed. I could tell from the way her lip curled that she was clenching her teeth together, to probably hold back the desire to yell at everyone. I could feel her aura; her anger was like burning ice. It almost felt like mana though it was too faint for a mage, but I suppose she had developed it somehow. And although I can see and sense calmness from her, I know she is angry. And I have to admit… quite scary. Even Konohana-san looked terrified.

The girls around them stayed quiet, while shivering in fear. I just hope that they learn the first thing anyone should know about Nanto-san.

After a few minutes, Nanto-san lets out a big disappointed sigh. Her angry face had held the scariest expression I’ve ever seen in my years changed to disappointment. I watched her pick up her notebook and step away from her seat. She walked over near Konohana-san and takes her hand. The blonde girl was confused when the raven haired girl gestured that they leave immediately.

“Aren’t you going too…” Konohana-san was probably going to ask if her friend wanted to at least eat the rest of her food but never did get a chance to finish. Her best friend just shakes her head tugs her hand lightly to make her follow. We watched the two girls leave. None of the Fan Girls dared to stop them, nor start apologizing. Which I think was a good thing for now. I don’t think she would have accepted their apology just yet.

As soon as the girls were gone the cafeteria slowly began to return to get noisy from all the girls resuming their conversations, except for a small part of the fan girls namely Sakura and a few other girls. I decided to get back to eating my meal.

Sakura and the other girls then began talking. The one who started the conversation didn’t sound like a fan. Or at least not one that knew Nanto-san well enough. Saying: “What happened?... Why did she get so mad?” I wanted to answer her… maybe later… They pondered about it for a while… Sakura kept her mouth shut the whole time, probably unsure if she should tell them that their treatment of their “idol’s” best friend.

“You should apologize...” I said before taking another bite out of my meal.

“She’s right. If we go talk to Yaya-sama and apologize now she might forgive us.” said one girl.

“She might… or might not…” that just slipped out. It seems I have a loose tongue… I have to remedy that or more instances of me making stupid suggestions and paying for it would happen in the future.

“What do you mean? Rin-sempai?” asked another girl.

I felt like toying with their heads for a bit. So I carelessly said: “If you’re a Nanto-san’s Fan you should know what great wrong you just did.”

“We are! But we don’t. Would you please tell us?” as soon as the girl said that, the other girls began asking me the same thing. Oddly I expected them to get angry and make a scene like they did with Konohana-san. I thought about it a bit. Giving them the answer might not help them much… well not their IQ anyway. But after a moment or two I decided to just spill it. Let them decide for themselves and get back to class. And maybe apologize myself for getting the two into this mess. But before I could say anything…

“Hikari-sempai… is Yaya-sama’s important person.” Sakura uttered meekly.

The girls looked shocked realizing for themselves what they had done to cause their idol’s anger. They were silent for a while, which gave me time to ponder on Konohana-san’s importance to Nanto-san. It’s not obvious but if you look deep enough and ponder on it too much, people would get the opinion that the raven haired girl is in love with her own best friend. I have to admire how well she had kept it though. Keeping their friendship so close where she could even joke about the blonde girl being hers without the other taking it seriously enough to even think it might be true.

I then took the time to advice them on what to do. I told them that they should apologize to Konohana-san before apologizing to Nanto-san. I explained that if even if they apologize to Nanto-san, the probability that she’d forgive them is very low. If Konohana-san forgives them their chances of being forgiven would greatly increase.

I was surprised on how little effort on my part managed to convince them to apologize. They were soon talking about where to meet up after classes, where they could find Konohana-san and apologize. I then returned to class and leave them to fend for themselves now...

Back in class I had found it very difficult to keep myself from laughing at Nanto-san’s growling stomach, especially since you’d hear a chuckle or snicker somewhere around the class each time her stomach made an impression of an angry animal. I took the time our teacher used to tease Nanto-san about her loud empty belly to look at Konohana-san, who looked concerned and a bit guilty… but I think she’s happy as well. I kind of envy this girl for she has such a cool friend. While I’m stuck with girls who apparently cant go a day without seeing their idols…

After classes, I had decided to talk to Nanto-san. I waited her best friend to separated from her before approaching her.

“Nanto-san…” I called.

She turned to me, I expected her to be angry at me for putting her and her best friend in the situation earlier. But instead she just smiled and waved before opening her notebook and writing: “Ah! Tousaka-san want to join me for some snacks?”

“Umm… sure.” I nodded and followed her to the cafeteria. I found it funny that this girl betrays almost all of my expectations. I thought for sure, she would call me by my given name just then or be angry at me. But then again this could all be a ploy. You can never guess how dangerous people like this girl can be.

She ordered a few sandwiches and some juice while I got myself some tea. We occupied a table somewhere in the corner. I don’t understand why she wanted to sit so far out of sight though. But better get it over with…

“Nanto-san. I would like to apologize for what I had put you and your best friend thru earlier.”

She opened her notebook again and flipped to a page revealing a big “OK!”

“Eh?! That’s it? You forgive me?” I asked loudly in surprise.

She just nodded and made a small hand gesture representing her response before digging into her food.

I found myself scratching my head. It was all too easy… so easy it was giving me a headache. I began telling what caused me to ask her to acknowledge her fan club just for the sake of telling her. She just quietly ate and paid attention to what I said. I could tell that she was a good listener. And could almost say that she was quite aware she had a fan club. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned today about Nanto-san… is that she’s more surprising than a fire ball spell. After I was done talking she wrote in response; that my action was only a catalyst to the event earlier. I was not completely at fault for causing it.

After that we just talked. Well I did most of the talking, but you’d be surprised to learn that Nanto-san wrote pretty fast. And again I was surprised to learn that the girl had some interest in topics I like… namely sorcery. Even though what she had read were only the things that non-mage families can read our conversation was… interesting. I had fun sharing facts and stories that are usually only known by and told to mages.

It was beginning to get late. We were engrossed by our conversation that I found myself late to head for my own club. But then again at this point going there wouldn’t really serve any purpose. It’s not like I can’t skip attending once in a while. But Nanto-san seemed to have plans… she stood and cleaned up the utensils and dish that she used and turns them in to dishwasher. She then says her goodbye thru her notebook. It was a prewritten goodbye… It was written in big letters and held most of the page. Just like the OK not so long ago.

I gave her my goodbyes and watched her leave the cafeteria. It was too bad really… I was really starting to like her.

End of Filler Story 2

Author’s note: Coincidentally… I had begun writing this filler chapter in Tousaka Rin’s point of view even before Ichimaru Wolfram had suggested it. XD I tried getting in her mind except without the Holy Grail war and summoning servants etc. X3

Onwards to Part 9


Back to Yaya's Voice Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction