Astraea Lake (part 75 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 74 Untitled Document

“That Amiki…” Kaname complained. “To say she always does unnecessary things is to make the understatement of the century.”

“It’s just her way.” Momomi ran a hand through her soaking wet hair. “I’ll admit, though, this time she want a lot further than she had to. A discreet cough would have been sufficient.”

“Tell me about it. And she insisted that we finish up without going back to change, damn her.” Kaname shook out her hair, scattering drops of water everywhere. “We could catch a cold, or worse.”

“You know, there’s no correlation between getting cold and wet and actually catching a cold…”

“I knew. That doesn’t mean this is healthy for us, now does it?” Kaname rubbed her eyes irritably. “Tell me we have a spare pair of uniforms in the room. I don’t want to have to troop over to the office in sodden clothes and try to explain this one…”

“We do, thankfully. I’m always prudent. Aren’t you glad I’m around?” Momomi smiled, resisting the temptation to hum to herself.

“I’d be gladder if you didn’t befriend short-haired psychopaths who are on their girlfriend’s list of employees.” Kaname shivered slightly. “I’m cold.”

“Really? Big, tough Kaname?”

“Hey, I was closer to the door! I took most of the attack, thank you.”

“Like a good, protective male.” Momomi smiled when Kaname bridled. “But still, that was a fairly close call. If the Etoiles had chosen that juncture to make an inspection, we’d have been screwed.”

“More than the Etoiles, a Sister,” Kaname muttered gloomily. “Do you think they’d buy it if we said she tripped?”

“Hmm. Probably not. But I guess we shouldn’t talk so loudly. We’re not safe until we reach our room, after all.”

“We’re nearly there. But damn, am I cold. And wet.” Kaname hugged herself, shivering again. “Can I take a shower?”

“No way. We don’t have time for that, you know. We’re going to be late for rehearsal as it is.”

“You’re really careless, aren’t you? It’s alright for you, who didn’t get completely soaked…”

“Like I said, you’re the tough girl, aren’t you? Bear with it, already, and don’t complain too much. We can shower after rehearsal.” Momomi glanced at her girlfriend, looking playful. “I’ll even shower with you if that’ll make it up to you.”

Kaname returned her gaze evenly. “You know, I might even take you up on that.”

“Oh, really? That’s something to look forwards to.” Momomi stuck her hands in her pockets, grinning cheekily. “But if that’s bribery to try and push the shower time back, it won’t work.”

“As ever, you’re over-suspicious. And cruel.”

“I must say, though, being wet suits you,” Momomi remarked. “It goes with your ruffled charm.”

“Being wet really doesn’t suit you, though. It makes you look like a half-drowned cat.” Kaname grimaced. “Under the circumstances, I’ll forgive myself for taking the brunt of the offensive…”

“How cruel.”

“They say honesty is a Christian virtue.”

“There was nothing Christian about what you were doing with your tongue earlier… I was quite impressed.”

“Not so loud! We’re in public, you know!”

“Still boring,” Momomi pouted, turning and opening the door to their room. Kaname brushed past her, stripping off her blazer and tossing it on her bed. “Hey, don’t put it there! You’ll get the bed wet?”

“Who cares about that?” Kaname queried, unbuttoning her shirt. “I just want to get the hell out of these clothes.”

“And as ever, I have to clean up after your mess. I’m always the woman, aren’t I?”

“That again! Are you obsessed or what?”

“Not really. It just gets a rise out of you, that’s all.”

“Well, don’t be too shocked when I finally grow breasts, okay? I’m not a man in disguise, you know.”

“Any time you feel like doing that is fine by me, Kaname,” Momomi teased. “Though people of your type are supposed to be flat chested for life, right?”

“Tch. So that is what you want…”

“Of course not. I’m preparing myself for disappointment, that’s all.”

“I wish I had such a convenient way out.”

Momomi picked up her shirt and blazer, placing them on the radiator. She shrugged off her own jacket and added it to the pile, before turning back to Kaname as she rooted through the wardrobe. “Throw me my spare blazer, okay?”

“Sure.” Kaname tossed it casually over her shoulder without looking.

Momomi barely caught it, frowning deeply. “As ever, you’re extremely careless. Have you got any idea how expensive these things are?”

“Not really. I’ve never had to pay for one, after all.”

“And you call yourself the financially prudent amongst the two of us… third world countries have been bartered for a handful of these, you know.”

“And Amane’s ridden a horse to the moon, I’m sure.”

“Well, with all the stellar names she has for her horses, I wouldn’t be too surprised.” Momomi frowned. “Did I ever tell you about Ganymede?”

“The fact that Amane’s horse is named after a moon of Jupiter and also Zeus, or Jupiter’s, gay lover?”

“Yeah. That fact,” Momomi replied, sounding vaguely disappointed.

“I don’t think so, no. What can I say? That girl has strange tastes.”

“Hmm. That’s certainly true enough… it has a nice ring to it, though. I’ll admit that much.”

Kaname frowned, tucking her new shirt in and reaching for another necktie. “Honestly, she should use less pretentious names, like… I don’t know… Kiko or Shouta or something. That way her stable wouldn’t so obviously advertise the ridiculous amount of money involved.”

“Horses need good, poetic names. It’s the only way to justify the price tag, after all.” Momomi smiled. “Ganymede was a little unfortunate, though. But it’s appropriate to this school.”

“Sappho would be more appropriate.”

Momomi raised her eyebrows. “Your knowledge of Greek myth and history is surprisingly good.”

Kaname shrugged. “Serané told me that it’d come up on the scholarship exams for second year. Actually, that didn’t get past Kariya, she just likes Greek stuff.”

Momomi sighed. “My, that does sound like her. And undoubtedly she smiled very innocently, too.”

“Oh, of course. It was interesting, though. Any religion which tacitly condones serial adultery has my full attention.”

“Try that on me and you’ll understand the meaning of being driven mad, then destroyed.”

“I got it, already. You’re far scarier than Hera was, after all.”

Momomi smirked, running a hand through her hair and turning to face Kaname. “Damn right. Now, shall we go?”

Kaname pulled her blazer into place, looked up, and nodded. “Sure. Let’s knock them dead.”

You’ve come again?” A sigh. “You’re very persistent.”

Not particularly. I didn’t come here for me. I came here for you.”

They set off, heading towards the drama studio. Momomi stuck her hands in her pockets, humming slightly to herself.

“You’re in a good mood,” Kaname noted. “Have you been doing something beyond my back again?”

“Again? When did I ever do anything behind your back?”

“Hmm… how do I put this… you act unilaterally an awful lot.”

“Well, yeah. But it’s not like I really deceive you.”

“You just make sure you don’t tell me the full facts, right? Because that’s so very different.”

“Well, that’s true, as far as it goes. But that’s also natural.” Momomi glanced sidelong at Kaname. “How about you? Surely you hide things from me as well?”

Kaname’s face slipped slightly. “Well, yeah, I guess…”

“Exactly. You’re no different, so don’t complain too much.”

“Just because we both do it, doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do, though.”

“Hmm? Kaname standing up for moral absolutes? I never thought that would happen.”

“I’m just saying. I also think we shouldn’t act in those ways people call right anyway. But that doesn’t necessarily mean what we do is right, does it?”

“There are many kinds of right in this world, no? Ours is ‘right for us’. That’s all we need to worry about.”

“Just as long as what we do is right for us…”

“What’s up with you?” Momomi demanded sulkily. “I’m in a good mood, but you’re being really gloomy all of a sudden.”

“I’m just thinking. Something you do less of the happier you get.”

“I’m always thinking a lot, thank you very much. My thoughts aren’t as warped by emotions as yours are.” Momomi turned her head, looking at her girlfriend with a wry smile. “But I’m happy right now, so I’ll forgive you. Let’s work hard, okay?”

“Work hard? Don’t screw with me.” Kaname grinned. “We’ll ice-skate on our talents, the same way we always have.”

For me?”

It’s written on your face, isn’t it?” A chuckle. “You may call that mask perfect, but it’s never fooled me. You’re very, very troubled.”

If that’s the case, I don’t think you are someone who can ease any of my troubles.”

I know. But I’m here all the same. That’s who I am.”

“Hopefully, we’ll finally get to do our scenes in that blasted play.”

“Our chance to shine, huh?”

Momomi smiled. “Of course.”

“But you know, I’ve been thinking, and doesn’t this whole portray you as something of an idiot?”

“What now?”

“Well, Orsino was an idiot from the beginning, so I can accept that case… in your case, though, you fall head over heels for Amane, or should I say Viola? However, it quickly emerges that I’ll do instead, especially as Viola just happens to be a girl. Either Sebastian is one heck of a bishie or you’re just fickle. Heck, even if I’m a bishie, that still makes you pretty fickle.”

“Oh, come on. You’re identical twins, aren’t you?”

“You can’t have identical twins of different sexes. That isn’t identical, by default.”

“Well, close enough as to make no difference.”

“There are differences, though. For a start, Viola is a smooth operator and confidence trickster who can pass for a boy and not only fool, but seduce, a duchess. Sebastian, on the other hand, is an idiot who barely has the wit to take fate’s equivalent of a straight flush and run with it.”

“Considering Viola was meant to seduce said duchess for her master, and she massively failed at that, I think you overstate her competence. Especially as she couldn’t reject Olivia in the aftermath, either.”

“Even with that, at least Viola achieves something, instead of riding on her sibling’s cross-dressing tendencies and luck.” Kaname shrugged. “Well, put it down to gender differences. Either way, it’s a classic twins story. The twins are considered interchangeable by the other person, who is therefor shallow and disgusts the twins. Only Sebastian’s too preoccupied by Olivia’s breasts to be disgusted.”

“I think you’re overanalysing this, you know.”

“You think? That’s not important. It’s an interesting point, all the same.”

“I suppose so,” Momomi conceded. “But really, can you blame any of them? Coming second is better than coming last, and Olivia is a hot young duchess of great wealth… you do the mental maths.”

“This thinking from the person who despises arranged marriages?”

“Well, I’d think the same way if I was given a chance-”

“That’s such a double standard. You really are a rebel without a cause…”

“If it wasn’t for, so to speak, who I am. You should let me finish before criticising me.”

“Oh? So if you were Viola, you’d go after Olivia after all?”

Momomi touched her lip. “Hmm. Probably. I doubt I’d get anywhere in those times, though.”

I know.”

I know you know. But you know that as well, and it goes on…” She leaned back and looked up at the sky, sighing. “Or has all that changed? Can we really claim to know each other that well any more?”

No. That hasn’t changed.”

A wry smile. “I wish I could believe you when you say that.”

They opened the door and stepped through.

“You two! What time do you call this?” Eida demanded, gesturing irritably. “Don’t you have any pride at all?”

Momomi shrugged. “Sorry. Something came up… we came as quick as we could.”

“Ehh? Hang on, what’s with the hair?” Eida sniffed. “You didn’t waste your time washing your hair or something stupid, did you?”

“No, of course not. Didn’t Amiki and Olesa tell you?”

“Tell me what.” Eida frowned. “No, forget it. I don’t care any more. Shut up and sit down, already.”

Momomi nodded. “So what are we doing?”

Hirai shuffled through her notes. “Uhm… you’re working on Act Four Scene One, with Nagasawa-san, Tou-san and Uemura-san.”

“Honestly, is she the only one who knows what is going on around here?” Kaname asked quietly.

“Oh, shush. Look on the bright side. It’s our turn, now. Together.”

“Yeah, yeah.”

Momomi looked around as she walked towards the group they’d been assigned. “No Amane today. That’s unusual.”

Kaname grunted, looking round the room herself. “Hmm…”

“Kaname?”

“Sorry. It is? You could fool me. That girl’s never where she’s supposed to be…”

“Well, I guess so,” Momomi admitted. “But still, she was pretty enthusiastic when we started working on this play.”

“You know what she’s like. A short attention span for anything but horses.”

“But still, even though it’s arrogant of me to try and take credit for these things, it feels like my failure.” Momomi sighed. “And it also feels like everything Amane’s gained in recent times has been lost again.”

“That’s not your fault. If you want to be like that, you can, but it still isn’t your fault.” Kaname put her hands in her pockets. “What about us? Even though we were in a far worse position, we became proactive about things like this. If Amane, of all people, doesn’t get involved, that’s her choice and her fault.”

“I know that. You don’t have to tell me that. But, all the same… it doesn’t make me happy.”

In any case, if you’ve come about that…I’ve decided.”

Oh? Not about my longstanding question, I presume…”

That was settled long ago. You know that.”

Hope springs eternal. But don’t take me too seriously. I’m more worried because you’ve made the worst possible decision again, haven’t you?”

I’ve made the responsible decision.”

Yeah. I was afraid it would come to that.”

It was seven minutes after they’d arrived that Koike turned up, with a casual air, as if being late was the most natural thing in the world. She accepted criticism without flinching, moving to her place with her script in hand. But she caught Momomi’s eye briefly as she crossed the room. Momomi caught the implicit message there. Even so, it was ten minutes later that Amane turned up and forty minutes from the break prior to performances, where she stood, waved Kaname away and left the room.

You’ll be glad, I suppose. Though I’m not quite sure why.”

I’m not glad. Please do me a little more credit than that.”

You’re right. I’m sorry.”

That’s unusual.”

Ah?”

You don’t apologise a lot, you know. In fact, it’s very rare, even though you’re famed as being such a courteous person. Isn’t that ironic?”

I’d like to say that’s because I never have any reasons to apologise, but I don’t think that’s true.”

A chuckle. “I see. You know, I was a little worried, but you haven’t changed at all. Underneath it all.”

Ah.”

Koike stepped out into the corridor, smirking at Momomi. “Is it okay? To be here instead of with your insecure little girlfriend?”

“Right back at you, minus the girlfriend. Well, not that she ever has much to say.”

“Oh. So you found out, huh?” Koike leaned against the wall. “It’s no biggie. Everyone but you knows anyway, that’s the kind of school we live in.”

“Frustrated?”

“Hardly. It’s just natural. Further, it’s something I can make use of. That’s why I know so much about you, after all.”

“Certainly, rumour is a wonderful thing.” Momomi folded her arms. “We really are more than a little alike. As much as it pains me to admit that.”

“I can echo that sentiment, and its caveat.” Koike yawned. “But really, when I realise I’m on the same level as you I notice I’m such a pathetic girl, for all my pretences and pride.”

“And I struggle to equate someone like you with a person as elevated as I am. Is that the difference between us?”

“You mean arrogance? I hope not, because I’m terribly arrogant.”

“I meant self-esteem. You don’t have a lot of that, do you?”

“Don’t joke around, pretending to be a psychologist. I’m a perfectly assured person, thank you very much. I’m just aware of the ridiculousness of the world in general, and especially all the people in it.” Koike shrugged with one hand. “You appear to dodge that issue in your head.”

“No. I hold myself apart from it.”

“Isn’t that the ultimate example of egotism, though?”

Momomi chuckled. “Perhaps. But I think everyone has to be a little egotistical, to be a healthy person.”

“So you’re a healthy person? I despair for humanity.”

“Well, you’re pretty sick. But that’s a conversation for another time.” Momomi glanced at her. “That’s enough word games for now, don’t you think? You said, when you first met me, that you had a lot to say to the Phareli child. I’m here to listen.”

“Oh, that’s right, isn’t it?” Koike smirked. “That feels like a surprisingly long time ago… but that’s fine. We’re here now, after all.”

“It took you long enough. But you’re always someone who takes the indirect approach, aren’t you?”

“No. I just like to make sure that things are interesting before I begin. But things have become very interesting indeed.”

But that’s hardly important, is it? As far as we’re concerned, that’s all in a past that died a long time ago.”

Ah…”

You’re making a mistake, though.”

There’s no mistake. Whether or not this is what you want, there’s no mistake at all. That doesn’t have anything to do with you or your agenda.”

You’re always the one who sacrifices yourself, aren’t you? For what end?”

For a lot of things. But mostly their feelings. That’s not something I understand, but still, after she said those things so many times…I understand now. It isn’t something to play with, the way you like to play games. I should never have taken it so far, and I’ll end it now.”

For their feelings… sounds cool? Do you get a kick out of saying that?”

No.”

How about your feelings? Don’t they matter anymore?”

Compared to that, my own feelings are unimportant. In any case, it’s the right thing to do.”

Stop being so reasonable about this!”

Sorry?”

Don’t joke around! Why aren’t you being selfish? You’ve done it before, haven’t you? You can put your own feelings about those of others. So why are you being so damn gentle with a girl who tried to use you and the girl who wants you dead? Where’s the sense in that?”

I’m a little wiser than before. That’s all.”

Momomi chuckled. “Well, quite. You’ve been playing around with Amane, haven’t you? Well, it’s not like you don’t have a motive for that.”

“I’ve said this before, but I don’t play around. Or, at least, not with Amane-chan.” Koike shrugged. “I just offered her advice, which she completely rejected. No more.”

“Advice? What kind of advice?”

“I’m not going to tell you. It has nothing to do with you.”

“Now that’s a damn convenient line to use to hide your sins…”

“Amane doesn’t want you to know, either. If you’re asking me, that’s definite. How about you?” Koike’s gaze met Momomi’s evenly. “Aren’t you just trying to use me to go behind Amane’s back? That’s very honourable of you.”

“You, of all people, have nothing to say to anyone about honesty.”

“Well, that’s true. But what are you going to do, Phareli-san? Blackmail me? Threaten me? Or perhaps a trade? Information is power, after all.”

Momomi snorted. “As if I’d ever go that far. But isn’t this just a little sad? She rejected you long ago. Can’t you move on and hope for her happiness? Or would that be too reasonable for someone like you?”

“Without going any further than what I’m about to say, yes, that is what I want for her.” Koike leaned back, shrugging again. “I told her as much, with different words.”

“Is that so?”

“Yes. Of course, there’s more to it than that. There’s more to everything than that. But I do hate people who try and reduce situations to romantic clichés. True feelings are more complicated than that.”

“Sometimes, yes. But occasionally things really are simple. At the basic level, words like ‘I love you’ are that simple.” Momomi leaned forwards slightly. “You understand that.”

“A phrase like that is very simple and very complicated at the same time. But we won’t talk semantics here, of all places.”

If it helps at all, Kenjou isn’t pulling any punches. She’ll lie to Phareli’s face, cheat, conspire and use blackmail, something, anything…for her, it’s a forgone conclusion. She doesn’t want you near Phareli, in any respect. So you don’t have to feel mercy for someone like that.”

It doesn’t matter. I’m deferring to her selfish feelings, as her feelings are stronger.”

And you? You’re just going to retreat into that shell again? Oh, I’m sure you’ll become a champion rider, but where’s the meaning in that? You like her, don’t you? Won’t you at least admit it?”

I like her.”

So, then-”

So nothing.”

Why are you so stubborn?”

If an emotion isn’t returned, it isn’t returned.”

Even if you say that, isn’t it just too feeble and pathetic? Shouldn’t you at least struggle?”

You know the answers to all those questions. But it isn’t pathetic. Never pathetic. It’s just an unfortunate truth…”

You don’t have the right to say that, you know. Not after how you treated me.”

I know.” A sigh. “I know.”

“But this is a good time to talk. You like Kenjou, don’t you?”

“Of course. You like Amane. So what?”

“So nothing… but it’s different for you. She’s someone who can make you happy, for as long as you two are together. What I think of you two don’t come into that, it’s just the way it is. Am I wrong?”

“Well, that’s what liking someone means.”

“Hardly. That, too, is an oversimplification…”

“Don’t be pedantic. You know what I mean.”

“I do. So I’ll cut against my own grain and ask you, why are you also sacrificing yourself?”

“Sacrificing myself? Would I really do anything so melodramatic?” Momomi laughed. “I don’t recall doing anything so pure-hearted in my life.”

“Why bother to spend time exclusively with Amane-chan when you could be with Kenjou for that time?”

“Ah. Jealously finally takes hold…”

“Don’t patronise me. This has nothing to do with jealousy, as I don’t have any chance anyway. You should know, talking to her.” Koike glanced at her irritably. “So if you’re done with strawman arguments, you can answer my question.”

“Well, I have a lot of reasons. But I don’t really have any particular desire to tell you.”

“Is that so? Then I’ll guess, then.” Koike leaned further back, looking bored. “At first, it was obviously a ploy in your relationship crisis with Kenjou. You got away with it because you have a confident manner about you, and I happen to know Amane is rather open to that attitude.”

“Well, you should know, after all.”

“In any case,” Koike continued sharply. “That obviously fell down after a while. But you stayed on and even tried to move closer. Why? To annoy Kenjou a little? To gain even further from Amane’s reputation? To satisfy your own pride and curiosity? Or would you even go so far as to pity Amane, for the way she lived? Perhaps you thought you were special, even, someone who was uniquely equipped to reach her. Whatever the reason, you were arrogant in the extreme.”

“And now you’re just bitter. Is this all there is? I’m bored already. Shall I go back?”

So you’re backing off? Where’s the sense in that? That’s not going to please Phareli either!”

Well, you should know. I find that situation difficult.”

That was in bad taste.”

It wasn’t a joke…but never mind. This is for the best, for all of us. Even if I continue, I won’t be happy. Nor will Kenjou. And while she may be happy in the short time, I don’t think those two facts will allow her to stay satisfied forever. And if it’s a question of which of us matters more, there’s no doubt.”

You sure claim to know everything. But why are you the one who gets to say what’s best for everyone? You’re just making an arbitrary decision without even consulting her! What’s the point in that?”

That’s something you do as well, isn’t it?”

What does that have to do with anything? That’s no excuse at all!”

You’re right, of course. That doesn’t have anything to do with the matter in hand. But for myself, as with yourself, this is something I’ve chosen to do.”

If she knew, she’d call you stupid, or worse. You know that.”

I know. But I’d rather be at peace with myself than with her. Is that strange?”

Yes. Very.”

I don’t think so. But this is the way things are. Sometimes, actions which would make people happy in the short term are only going to hurt them in the long run.”

I never asked you to pretend. I would never forgive you for pretending to me, but-”

No. Even when I was cruel, the same logic applied. Because I am not a kind person at heart, so I must be cruel to be kind. That’s why.”

Living like that, you’re just pushing your flaws onto the rest of us, instead of changing.”

Like I said, I’ve never pretended to be kind.”

“In a minute. You’re right insofar as there isn’t a lot left to say, but I should give you fair warning.” Koike pushed off the wall, standing and taking a step forwards. “Amane’s going to become more distant from you now. She’ll probably tell you soon, but she may just let it happen. Either way, there’s no point in struggling about it. This is just the way things are.”

“What? Why?”

Koike shrugged.

“What did I do?” Momomi demanded, stepping forwards. “Damnit, I thought this might happen, but what the hell am I supposed to have done? How much more does she want from me?”

“It’s not my fault or hers. It’s my crime and my responsibility. I arranged things so they’d turn out this way.” Koike stuck her hands in her pockets, cocking her head casually. “So if you want to hate someone for this, hate me. It isn’t anything you’ve done.”

Momomi blinked, frowning. “That’s surprisingly unconvincing… but if it is something you’ve said, I’ll undo it. I can do something that simple. I’m not done just yet.”

“There’s no point. I’ve brought her around to my point of view, and when she’s truly set herself on something there is no turning back. You shouldn’t waste your breath.”

“So what did you do? Last I heard, you only gave advice. What kind of advice was that?”

“What do you think?” Koike shrugged, turning away. “In any case, trying to change this fate would take energy. You need that for your relationship with Kenjou. Isn’t she enough for you? If you chase after two pretty birds, they’ll both get away from you.”

“I’ve never told you, Koike. But I have a life philosophy, a very selfish one.” Momomi folded her arms. “If you want something, take it. Take everything freely, no matter what it costs. That’s why.”

Koike snorted. “Well, that’s the daftest thing I’ve heard in quite some time…”

You’re as immovable as ever.”

Sorry.”

Don’t apologise for the little things. It reminds me of everything you’ll never apologise for.”

I’m sorry for that, as well.”

Idiot… but you have somewhere to be, don’t you? The play’s rehearsal. Or have you lost interest in that, as well?”

No, I’ll go.” She turned to look up at the sky. “You go on ahead first.”

Okay. Later.” A few footsteps, then a pause, and she turned briefly. “Amane, I meant to tell you this last time…but whatever I do and say, some things haven’t changed. I still love you.”

I know. But would it really help if I apologised?”

Idiot…”

“Say, Koike?”

Koike stopped. “What? We’re late already, you know.”

“I just want to say that I’m someone who is in a better position than most to understand you, and the fact that you’re a complete bitch is independent of my sympathy for you.” Momomi smiled. “It isn’t a nice situation to be in, I know that.”

“Ha. Do you really think you can afford to pity me? Don’t make me feel ill.” Koike glared. “I may be unfortunate, Phareli, but I’ll have to fall a thousand times further before I’ll even think of accepting your sympathy.”

“I know that. So I’m still going to think of you as a stuck-up, meddling bitch with a superiority complex.”

“That’s a lot better. I just want to say, while we’re on the subject, that if we met under different circumstances we would probably completely hate each other.”

Momomi chuckled. “You know, I feel the same way as well.”

“Then I’ll see you later, Phareli. Good luck coping with Kenjou.”

“Good luck to you, too. Any time you notice other girls instead of chasing a shadow of a shadow of a dream, that’d be fine.”

“Idiot.” Koike sighed and walked away.

Kaname stepped towards Momomi the moment she re-entered, face tight. “Just what did you say to her?”

“Just stuff about Amane,” Momomi replied. “It wasn’t very important.”

“Wasn’t very important? It took you long enough, and worried me enough, damnit! You could at least tell me-”

Momomi touched her face. “It wasn’t important, okay? Not important like this.”

Kaname sighed. “That just worries me even more…”

“More importantly, we’ll be performing up there shortly, right. So I’ll test you.” Momomi smirked. “What’s the penultimate line of act four?”

“That’s easy.” Kaname grabbed her hand, lowering it and looking into Momomi’s eyes. “I'll follow this good man, and go with you; and, having sworn truth, ever will be true.

Momomi nodded. “Then lead the way, good father; and heavens so shine,

That they may fairly note this act of mine!”

“Well, quite.” Kaname dropped her hand and turned away, smiling to herself. “Hopefully, act wasn’t referring to your theatre. That isn’t anything to ask God to look at it.”

“And I certainly can’t credit you with swearing anything but four-letter words,” Momomi retorted. “Sadly, we’ll have to make do.”

“I guess so.” Kaname looked critically at Momomi. “Hmm. Could be worse.”

Momomi nodded. “Yep. Could be worse…”

No matter what happened, there could always be worse things than this.

Onwards to Part 76


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction