Astraea Lake (part 62 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 61 Untitled Document

Momomi looked out of the window, resting her head on her hand and smiling. Yeah, I’m gone in the head. This is overwhelmingly the portrait of a girl in lov- lust. Lust is safer, and probably more accurate to boot. This is another one of those many things about my life that has changed very fast very rapidly, but I’m happy about it. Everything I do with Kaname is just- fun. That’s about the long and short of it. Especially, well- Momomi clamped down on that thought before she flushed and completely gave herself away. She schooled her expression into something approaching a sombre, mature frown, just in case anyone was watching. But she’s very cute, if that’s a word that can be applied to Kaname. The gap between her words and her thoughts, the way she never gives up, never lets it happen, always verbally fencing with me even when we kiss, I like it all. She’s something, a paradox, difficult to describe. Strong and weak at once, always covering her own weaknesses no matter what, but with care for me even in the heat of her fury. She’s always dishonest, but that just makes her truth more fascinating. She wants me and doesn’t at the same time. She’s something I can hold but not seize, letting me feel comfortable without ever letting me feel secure. She lets me come on and do everything, but somehow she’s still the one who feels in control, somehow, for all her fractured feelings. I know I need her, but even though I know she wants me she’ll hide that badly, for her dignity. And if I don’t respect her dignity, she’ll step back, however much it hurts her. That should frighten me, but I find it exciting. After all, I have advantages as well, starting with the physical and mental initiative. We aren’t something so static as a solid, mutual relationship. This is something else, needing and yet confrontational. In a way, it hasn’t changed since we first met and argued. It’s something I’ll relish and enjoy, for now. I wonder whether that’ll ever change?

Momomi smirked, watching her shadowy reflection in the window look back at her with amusement. Who knows? Right now, I have only a loose apprehension of the future. That’s fine until I know what the present is. She ran her hands through her hair, adjusting it slightly where Kaname had ruffled it. But we really are a little contradictory. I remember being so angry with her, busy in our struggle over such stupid little things, and that was so amazing frustrating. I couldn’t really believe that she would be so jealous. But once we’d moved on, we moved on. It’s not like I apologised, and nor did she. It’s not like we’d concluded the matter in hand, that’s also beyond people like us. We’re far too stubborn for that. We just step past the issue, put it behind us, and get on with things. That’s good, I think. If we had a proper tiff for everything we hard to argue about, we’d never get anywhere. Like this, things are a lot easier. And it definitely suits someone like Kaname, who would rather bang her head against a wall than admit she’s wrong and apologise. For the most part, anyway. Her fingers traced little loops in the mist of the windows. Either way, we ended up in each other’s arms. I can’t really stay angry with her for very long, least of all about the stupid things. It’s easier to be comfortable and happy. All the same, irritation and affection, repulsion and fascination, that kind of contradiction… that’s who we are. To kill and to kiss. Very dramatic. I should write a story about it sometime. Momomi grinned. But meanwhile, in the land of sanity, I’ll just enjoy things as they were. I understand Kaname to a degree, her frustration and jealousy, but she does need to get used to this stuff. Like this is better than an outright confrontation, and we can end on a good note too. It’s not like we have to agree on everything, after all.

Momomi sighed at her reflection, smiling wanly. It’s too bad she’s not more confident, though. But she’s always been the more insecure one, somehow. I guess I can wait for her, and enjoy this in the meantime. She returned her attention to the lesson at hand briefly, only to find that the teacher had gone on a tangent. Minami-sensei was reliable in that respect, if no other. Right now she was busy talking with a few of her favourite pupils about the state of government in Africa. Under those circumstances, I’m definitely excused from paying attention. Kaname worked me harder, though probably not as hard as she had intended what with my way to fill the time. It’s okay, I think. We can worry about that stuff later, but our new relationship needs lots of work right now. Perhaps. That kinda sounds like an excuse not to work, though. Albeit not one I’d use on the teachers. ‘Excuse me, sensei, but can I give you that essay a week late? I’m practising kissing with my girlfriend. We’re both inexperienced, you know how it is.’ Momomi rested her chin in her hands, incidentally hiding her mouth. Yeah, I don’t think that will make the cut. And it won’t work on the scholarship exam, either. I should probably let her work us harder, but it isn’t my fault! Working jointly in privacy and close proximity, eating our lunch together in the gaps, it all screams study date. And after a while I remember the second bit, while completely forgetting the first. But that’s perfectly normal, I’m sure of it. And I know Kaname enjoyed it too, whatever she may say. That’s important as well, of course. Being happy to be with the one who you can offer happiness…no wonder people go on about romance.

That’s what I’d like to say, anyway. The truth is far more complicated, and a little discouraging, even for me. What does she think of me? Even if we have the same feelings, are they balanced? Does jealous Kaname like me more than I like her, or does the Kaname who lets me take control like me less? Is that a problem, even if that is the case? Am I giving her too much attention, or too little? Does she enjoy the physical aspects as much as I do, or does she merely put up with them for my sake? When we have those arguments, does she let things slide as easily as I do, or does she bear troubles that she’s too shy or bloody-minded to share as a result of my casual words? Can this happiness last? How far does her vision go? Will she get bored of me by the end? Or will I get bored of her, as my childish infatuation wears off? I know that feelings which are so concrete in moment can become so much gloop the next, washed away and replaced by the next novel person. I don’t want to be that kind of person, but is it really a bad thing? If you experience that, is there any point in pretending and maintaining a sham of a relationship, or is it healthier to move on? If that does happen, will we ruin our friendship? What would I say or do if she did that to me? And- Momomi smiled and closed her eyes. Okay, too many questions. And for some reason, looking for those answers from books and the internet is stigmatised, isn’t it? So I suppose I’ll have to find all the answers myself. But I’m feeling optimistic now, for all those doubts. I’m willing to take things as they come.

“Kiyashiki! Pay attention!”

Momomi nodded, trying not to snort. Hypocrite much? She listened to Minami-sensei drone on and wondered just how interminably long the minutes would become and how deep in boredom she’d be before she could finally see Kaname again. Even if you’re in love, some things don’t change. Tedious Geography lessons are definitely immune to Cupid’s spawn camping.

Much later, Momomi shouldered her bag and headed out, stepping past the Minami-sensei after school debating society who were crowding around her desk and throwing their banal opinions in her face. And she likes it! I don’t understand that at all, I admit. She shrugged the thought away as she walked, along with reflections on the pain of double Geography in the afternoon. A few people asked her questions, but she’d mastered the smooth, shallow reply. A whole lot more stared, and she just enjoyed that. I’ve never been that self-conscious, unless it’s with Kaname. And I find it very easily to take this for granted whatever their intentions towards me. It’s probably in the blood, but it isn’t something I can be proud of. Especially after Kaname’s rivalry with Amane, and everything she thinks about that…I don’t want to be like Amane. Which is ridiculous, as Amane’s so perfect and embodies my own goals anyway. Leaving me in something of a pickle. Ha, like the pickles she doesn’t eat. She’s happy with her fundamentalism, but the tough decision, like umeboshi, falls to me to chew over and swallow. And she’s definitely made things more complicated, but that’s nothing new. Eventually, she reached the Church, looking round and finding that Kaname had arrived first.

The blue-haired girl nodded, pushing herself off the wall. “Hi.”

Momomi put a hand on her hip, smiling. “As ever, you’re posing away, aren’t you?”

“As if you’re any different.” Kaname snorted. “When I first met you, your personality was nothing but pose.”

“I’ve worked on that, you know.”

“Yeah. Now it’s all poise, which is even worse.”

Momomi giggled, walking forwards. “You’re very mean, you do know that, right?”

“An appeal to pity doesn’t really work when you have an ego the size of the Eiffel Tower.”

“That must be why you never appeal to pity, then.” Momomi hugged her briefly. “It’s too bad, as I’d be quite happy to pity my cute Kaname if she wasn’t so noisy.”

Kaname’s red eyes flickered slightly, trying to take in anyone who could have seen them. “Momomi…”

“I know.” Momomi sighed. “But hugs are platonic, you know? It’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

“Even so-”

“Even so what?”

Kaname gestured vaguely. “This school is this school. There’s been too many troublesome rumours as it is.”

Momomi folded her arms. “You do know that some public displays of affection would be a good way to resolve some of those rumours, don’t you?”

“Even so, I have my pride, you know.” Kaname prodded her on the forehead, smiling slightly. “It’s fine, isn’t it? I’m sure you’ll be able to struggle through a few more hours without sucking my blood or whatever.”

Momomi pouted. “That’s easy for you to say, coming straight from French… I had double Geography. After that, a girl wants some touchy-feely moments just to remind herself that life’s worth living.”

“As dramatic as ever. Well, don’t die on me.”

“You should sound more concerned. If I died I would definitely haunt you for all eternity…”

“You wouldn’t be the first, either.” Shion waved as she crossed the floor, walking towards them. “But I’m the third here, it appears. That’s unusual.”

Kaname frowned. “Don’t you have something to do? To do with your precious play, or whatever?”

“Of course. I have it in my bag,” Shion replied, slapping it. “I’ll work on it while you toil away, but that sight is way too funny for me to pass up, whatever the circumstances.”

Kaname shook her head irritably. “Oh? And are you telling me you never had to do anything like this?”

“That’s a secret,” Shion replied. “I’ll leave you to guess about that.”

“Hmm. Looks like we’ll have to talk to your peers,” Momomi mused. “But from what I’ve heard of you, you were probably scrubbing floors a lot in your first year.”

“Not a lot,” Shion replied. “I didn’t get caught as much as you two do.”

“Very convincing,” Kaname muttered dryly. “Well, if you’re experienced, grab a mop and help out already. Consider it rent for the entertainment we apparently provide you.”

“Now, now, Kenjou-kun, it wouldn’t be right of me to deprive you of part of this important learning opportunity.” Shion scratched her cheek, grinning widely. “If you acted badly in the future as a result of that, I’d never forgive myself.”

“Don’t cry yourself to sleep at night about subverting an outdated, tedious and ineffectual punishment.” Kaname stuck her hands in her pockets, looking at the ceiling. “Not that big a deal. More importantly, where the hell are the other two? We can’t start until they get here.”

“Technically, I don’t think that’s true,” Shion observed.

“Morally, that is.” Momomi leaned against one of the seats, sighing. “We can’t deprive them of an important learning opportunity, after all.” She folded her arms. “What did you mean just now, anyway?”

“Hmm?”

“You wouldn’t be the first, either. Something like that.”

“Oh, right.” Shion shrugged. “A throw-away comment, based on my new research. I’m looking at a very interesting thing right now.”

“Oh?” Kaname asked, disinterest plain on her voice.

“The Seven Mysteries of the Strawberry Dorms,” Shion said dramatically, raising a finger.

“What? Ghost stories?” Kaname rested her head in her hands. “Give me a break. Even if she’s dead boring and stalking people is weird, at least Amane’s weird.”

“Of course. I’m not actually looking for ghosts, you know.” Shion sat, resting her bag on her knees. “This is an exercise in the psychology of our school-fellows. The kind of story they’re interested in.”

“Are Catholics even supposed to believe in ghosts?” Momomi asked dubiously.

“Probably not.” Shion closed her eyes and shrugged theatrically. “But Catholic girls aren’t supposed to go all the way on a regular basis with another girl, and that’s our Etoiles. We’re flexible, aren’t we?”

“To the breaking point,” Kaname said. “This is why atheism is easier. It doesn’t pretend to be internally consistent.”

“It’s unlike you to run away from a challenge. But you’re you, after all.” Shion looked up. “In any case, it’s made for some light relief in between worrying about homework and the play.”

“Whatever makes you happy,” Momomi replied.

“But I was wondering… would it be possible to make a mystery?”

Kaname blinked. “Say what?”

“The mysteries are basically good ghost stories based on the Strawberry Dorms, right?” Shion looked at them enthusiastically. “So if you want to add a mystery, all you’d have to do is come up with a convincing ghost story assigned to a good location and spread it. I’d love to see whether we could actually do that.”

Momomi nodded slowly. “You know, unlike most of your plans and intentions, that actually makes a twisted kind of sense.”

“The next time we’re not doing anything else, we should definitely do that.” Shion grinned. “Or whenever inspiration strikes. Wouldn’t that be fun?”

“I don’t think you can just make an extra story up,” Kaname noted. “It’s always the seven mysteries, right? That’s stupid in itself, but still, you take my point.”

“We’ll just add an eighth, that’s all,” Shion replied easily. “That’ll confuse things even more, which suits me just fine.”

“Ow! Let go of me, already! I can walk, you know!”

Momomi looked around and sighed when she saw the origin of this particular non sequitur. “You’re late, you two!”

Amiki stuck her feet against the ground and pulled back, trying to resist Kariya’s iron grip on her arm. “I said let go! This is abuse of authority! Assault! Rape!”

Kaname sighed and shook her head. “As ever, a graceful entrance.”

“Shut up with the lame sarcasm already!” Amiki snapped. She was finally released, stepping away and rubbing her arm. “Ow! That really hurt, you know!”

“I’m crying,” Kariya snapped. “You’re way too late. And you two should have started as well!”

“Now, Kariya. It’s okay, isn’t it? They still have plenty of time.” Serané stood by her partner, Olesa walking demurely by her side. “Besides, this way things are simpler, aren’t they?”

“It shows a lazy attitude, though,” Kariya replied, looking at them distastefully. “I don’t approve of that.”

“More importantly, why are you two late?” Kaname demanded. “And why are you with them?”

“It’s been a while, Kariya-sama, Serané-sama,” Shion said politely, bowing her head.

“And why did Amiki get dragged while Olesa walked?” Momomi inquired. “That hardly seems fair…”

“Shut up!” Kariya drew herself up, regarding them with irritation. “You’re all far too noisy. Remember that this is, and continues to be, a punishment. And on that note, get to work. You’ll have to miss the first few minutes of kendo as it is, and it ends up worse than that I won’t even let you in!”

“I got it, I got it,” Kaname said. “We’re getting the mops, already! No need to glare!”

“But seriously, why did you get to walk?” Momomi asked as she walked with Olesa.

“I was more graceful in complying,” Olesa replied blandly.

“And why are you late?”

“Something came up. We were discussing it while we walked, then we happened upon them. Mere bad luck.”

Momomi stifled a laugh. “I see. That’s too bad. Kariya looks even more pissed than usual, though.”

“That’s understandable.” Olesa shrugged. “Due to circumstances.”

“Circumstances?”

“God, you’re so loud! Just shut up and get to work already!”

Momomi sighed and got to work, initially in silence. It wasn’t like her to feel oppressed, but somehow all possible conversation dried up before it could reach her lips. Instead, she trooped towards the taps, trying not to look at Kariya. The red girl had folded her arms, fuming silently. It wasn’t until they’d scurried outside when Momomi found herself able to breathe again. “What is with that atmosphere? She’s like super-hyper pissed off right now.”

“I think that’s her killing intent,” Olesa replied seriously. “Well, more properly, her Kokyu as a practitioner of kendo. It has intimidating properties.”

“I’m not sure about that…” Momomi muttered, waving a hand vaguely. “But that’s not what I meant, anyway? Why is she so annoyed?”

“I told you.”

“You did?”

“It was… due to circumstances.”

“That’s not an answer!”

“They interrupted a conversation of ours,” Amiki explained, leaning down and filling her bucket. “But more importantly, we interrupted them, getting pretty… personal. So she’s all bitchy now. I think it’s to do with hormone imbalances.”

“Shush, not so loud!” Momomi warned. “If she hears you, we’re all dead!”

Kaname frowned. “Really?”

“Not at all,” Olesa remarked, just as Amiki said “Pretty much.”

Momomi dropped her bucket and stared between them, placing her hands on her hips. “Now you’re just being confusing! Which is it?”

“She’s right,” the two said at once. They stared at each other in puzzlement, then Amiki closed her mouth and Olesa sighed. “Amiki’s basically accurate. We found them kissing. Enthusiastically.”

“That’s strange,” Kaname noted. “They never show public affection.”

“Well, it wasn’t exactly public.” Amiki stepped back, blushing at a memory. “It was a private kind of place. We just got really, really unlucky.”

“Why is that, anyway?” Momomi scratched her cheek. “It’s a little odd, coming from them. Their not exactly insecure in their relationship, or lacking in confidence otherwise.”

“Probably Serané’s demure bearing,” Amiki guessed.

“Or in deference to the reputation of the school,” Olesa suggested.

“That sounds like them.” Momomi leaned forwards. “So, where did you find them, anyway? The Etoile’s favourite make-out spot… we could advertise it!”

“Ask Shion, she probably already knows.” Kaname picked up her buckets. “In any case, get going before she comes out here and drags us in there.”

Momomi blinked, looking down at her empty bucket. “Sorry!”

When they returned, Shion was in conversation with the Etoiles. “What a suicidal girl,” Momomi whispered. “That takes real courage.”

“Well, quite.” Kaname grounded her mop. “More importantly, we should get to work.”

They spread out and started. Momomi smiled as she dropped the bucket and wetted her mop, getting to work. She looked up, glad to see that Shion had succeeded in moving the irritable Kariya away from them. “You know, even over this time, I’ve got a lot better. I don’t struggle so much with the bucket, for a start.”

“Ha. You’re not there yet.” Kaname snorted. “You’ll lose everything you’ve gained the moment you stop.”

“Oh? Are you seriously suggesting that we should carry this on after we’re finished with the stuff we absolutely have to do?”

“Nope. But still, that’s the way it is.” Kaname sighed. “Beyond that, washing floors isn’t something you do much in real life anyway. So it really is pointless.”

“Well, thanks for the morale boost.” Momomi pouted petulantly. “Wasn’t it better when I thought there was a purpose to the exercise?”

“The purpose is to grind us into dust. That’s all.”

Momomi chuckled. “Ever the optimist, my Kaname.”

“Well, that point aside, it’s been a while, hasn’t it?” Amiki mused. “How long do we have left?”

Kaname shrugged. “You knows?”

“It’d be better if we did know,” Momomi said cautiously. “For all my tough talk, I don’t want to do this any more than I have to.”

“I’m sure we all share that sentiment,” Olesa replied. “But we’re still stuck here for now.”

“Well, it could be worse, I guess.” Momomi smiled. “At least we don’t hate each other now.”

“Speak for yourself,” Amiki quipped. “I’m just glad we have kendo, because otherwise I’d be fighting Kaname already, mop-bo style.”

“Any time you like,” Kaname retorted. “I don’t much like you either.”

Momomi sighed and rolled her eyes. “Fine, we don’t genuinely hate each other now, even if it’s cool to pretend. So much for self-assessment.”

“The past isn’t too important,” Olesa remarked. “Who are now, and where we stand now, are the things we care about.”

Momomi blinked, then looked at her carefully. “You’re right, I guess. That’s how it is, isn’t it?”

“Good afternoon, everyone.” Serané smiled at them. “Are you okay?”

“We’re fine,” Momomi said. “Don’t worry about us. It’s Shion who needs rescuing.”

“That’s very cheeky,” Serané observed, playfully poking Momomi on the forehead. “They’re discussing Tomori-san’s play, actually. It sounds like it should be very interesting.”

Kaname groaned. “I should have known… when it comes to self-promotion, she never misses a trick, I’ll give her that.”

“She’s just enthusiastic, which is good. I’m looking forwards to it.” Serané smiled, pushing a wave of blonde hair out of her eyes. “In any case, I’m sorry for Kari-chan’s anger. It wasn’t strictly deserved, but she’s had a very hard day.”

“Oh?”

“Nothing important. Just showing some of our sponsors around, and one of them was the most frightful bigoted boor…” Serané shrugged. “Well, you aren’t here to listen to our worries.”

“Giving a tour, huh?” Momomi shook her head. “You two really do everything, don’t you?”

“It’s more authentic this way, I think.” Serané glanced at Amiki and Olesa, cocking her head and smiling sweetly. “But an especial apology for you two. You saw something that we don’t like to show off… and we saw something we weren’t supposed to see either.”

Amiki flushed. “No… it’s nothing…”

“Oh?” Momomi’s lips curled into a cunning smile. “What’s this, what’s this? What kind of conversation were they having?”

“My, hadn’t you better get on with your cleaning, Kiyashiki-san?” Serané asked innocently. “If you took too long, Kariya really will be very irritated. And I don’t want her to be any more agitated right now. Her life is stressful enough as it is.”

“Right, right.” Momomi shook her head mournfully. “You know, Serané-sama, you’re an extremely cruel tease…”

“Oh? Really?” Serané touched her chin thoughtfully with a single finger. “I’m not sure what it is I did to warrant such a reputation.”

Kaname just snorted derisively.

Serané clapped her hands. “In any case, isn’t it a little inefficient to be working like this?”

“Hmm?” Momomi asked.

“You have to do the Church and the tower, right? So why not split up and do them both at once?” Serané smiled. “That would be faster, wouldn’t it?”

“I’m not sure about that.” Momomi shrugged. “Besides, every time we try that, we end up arguing about who goes where and nothing actually gets done.”

“Well, you and Kenjou-kun can do the Church, while Rivera-san and Perez-san can do the tower.” Serané smiled. “Sound fair?”

“Sounds arbitrary,” Kaname quipped, washing her mop in her bucket.

“Well, that’s what I say, and I’m the Etoile. You should get to it, okay? Work hard.”

“Very well.” Olesa knelt, picking up her bucket. “We’ll take our leave.”

“Hey, this is hardly fair,” Momomi complained. “They’re only going to slack off in there, you know.”

“Oh, quit your whining,” Amiki said. “That goes for you two as well, doesn’t it?”

“In the same room as the fear and terror of absolute death over there?” Kaname laughed derisively. “Somehow, I don’t think so…”

“Kenjou-kun, don’t make me make you suffer.” Serané smiled brilliantly. “That wouldn’t be nice, now would it?”

“No, ma’am…”

“In any case, I’m sure those two can be trusted. They won’t be able to leave until they’ve finished, after all.”

“Theoretically, yes. Practically-” Momomi turned, only to find that the two Spanish girls were already ten meters away. “Never mind. They got away.”

“I hope you don’t mind too much. I have my reasons, that’s all.” Serané rested her chin on one hand. “As you know, those two have a lot to think about.”

“Leaving the school?” Momomi folded her arms. “I hope they don’t. That’d be really annoying, after I went to all this effort civilising them.”

“I’d be the only kendo regular my age, and all.” Kaname sighed. “That would be pretty inconvenient.”

“I’m glad you agree, but wouldn’t it be better if you’d told them these things?” Serané looked thoughtfully at the now-closed door leading to the tower. “Until you do, they won’t realise what you think of them.”

“We might have told them,” Kaname retorted.

“But you didn’t.”

“Well, no, but how do you know that?”

“Because I know you two.” Serané shrugged. “In any case, they’re strong, independent girls. They can come to their own decision, about this and everything else.”

“Yeah, well… they’re like us.” Momomi smiled wanly. “They’re slow to understand that what they do will affect their friends, too.”

Serané raised her eyebrows. “Oh? Is Kiyashiki-san admitting she has friends?”

“Of course. I’m not the person you knew before.”

Serané chuckled. “No, I suppose not. You’ve come quite some way.”

“So you’re going to stop bothering us now?” Kaname asked hopefully.

“Nope.” Serané waved a finger. “You two aren’t normal just yet. You’re still problem children.”

“You know, that title’s a badge of honour from you.” Kaname smirked. “Problem child… it has a nice ring to it. Apart from the child bit.”

“How are you two doing, anyway? Everything going well?”

Kaname nodded. “Sure. Kendo’s good, we’re revising hard, she’s even doing her damn script…”

“Not quite what I meant, but I understand.”

“She’s just teasing you,” Momomi said dismissively. “We’re getting on just fine, thanks. We’re going out again on Saturday.”

“Really? That’s nostalgic. However many times I see it, there’s something very endearing about young couples like you two.” Serané shrugged. “And there really is an unexpected number of them…”

“You’ve popularised it, that’s the problem here,” Kaname commented. “So don’t look at us.”

“Of course, that being as it is, a lot of them end in disaster.” Serané sighed mournfully. “That’s the less enjoyable side of this job. Kariya even reckons she’d prefer it if there wasn’t any romance at all…”

“Honestly,” Momomi sighed. “Everyone’s so encouraging, isn’t it wonderful?”

Serané laughed. “Don’t be too discouraged. Personally, I think it’s good. Even if it’s painful, you’ll learn from it, and it can work. We’re more or less the embodiment of that hope, ourselves.”

Momomi nodded. “Right, right.”

“Of course, we’ve had our fair share of rows and more than a couple of major crisis situations.” Serané smirked. “They keep a relationship fresh, I think. But that’s something for you to look forwards to.”

“Tch. Who cares about you two? We can manage very well by ourselves, thank you very much.” Kaname shook her head irritably. “No need to be too dramatic.”

“Well said,” Serané agreed. “I’m sure you two will get on just fine.”

Momomi nodded. “Definitely. So don’t worry about us.”

“Just make sure you don’t get so caught up in each other you forget your friends,” Serané began. “I’ve seen that a fair few times, and it’s a classic error. Especially for you, with your block about socialising…”

“Shizuru!” Kariya shouted from across the room. “Stop fraternising with the criminals and get over here! We need your help with staging arrangements!”

“Coming, Kariya.” Serané waved cheerfully, walking gracefully across the church. “Good luck, you two.”

Momomi watched her go, elegant and beautiful. No matter the surroundings, Serané is something else…

“She’s so whipped,” Kaname muttered.

So much for grace. Momomi snorted. “Considering how bashful you normally are, you can be pretty blunt at times, can’t you?”

“I just said what you were thinking. Admit it, already.”

“That doesn’t make it normal to say it, you know.” Momomi shrugged. “And you’re right in a way, but I’ve always wondered whether that’s how it is, or if it’s the other way round…”

“Who knows?” Kaname shrugged. “Well, I’m not Shion. It’ll keep.”

“I guess so.” Momomi sighed thoughtfully. “But what I was actually thinking… will I ever be as beautiful and graceful as she is, one day?”

“Hmm.” Kaname grounded her mop and folded her arms. “Probably not.”

Momomi slapped her forehead irritably. “Even if you think that, idiot, you don’t have to say it so firmly.”

“You’ll be something quite different, and rather more calculating. But that’s fine, isn’t it?” Kaname folded her arms. “You’re an individual, and a smart one, not an idiot aspiring to be exactly like the current Etoile. When you’re a woman, it’ll be in your terms. And I don’t think you’ll measure yourself by anything so simple and trivial as beauty and grace.”

Momomi actually blushed. “You know, that was almost sweet… how about you? You’ll be the same?”

Kaname nodded. “Definitely. Just wait for me, I’ll be a magnificent adult before you know it.”

“I bet you’ll still look like a boy, though.”

“Yeah, yeah. That suits me just fine. I like being this way, you know.”

“If you do, you’re awful insecure about it.” Momomi smiled. “But even if I can intellectually acknowledge that we’ll grow, watching those two, it’s so hard to remember…”

“We won’t rush towards it. There’s no need to aspire. That’d just be a waste of effort.”

Momomi nodded. “You’re right, I suppose.”

“But, one day, we’ll be better than those two.” Kaname folded her arms. “I guarantee it. We don’t even have to worry about it. That’s simply how it will be.”

Momomi laughed. “You’re hilariously arrogant, aren’t you? Those are the Etoiles, you know.”

“So what?” Kaname closed her eyes and smirked. “If it’s me and you together, it’s definitely a feeling I get. Perhaps I’ll be wrong.”

“We’ll see, shall we?” Momomi ran a hand through her hair. “But it would be nice if that came true someday. For antisocial and unpopular people like us, that’s just a dream, though.”

“Swans come from signets. That’s how the story goes.”

“Signets aren’t actually that ugly, you know. That’s just an old story.” Momomi glanced at her. “Besides, should someone so scared of a play say things like that?”

Kaname snorted. “Whatever. The important thing is that you notice they aren’t so special. They aren’t anything we should worship on bent knees.”

Momomi nodded. “You’re right, again. But aspirations are nice.”

Kaname nodded. “Aspirations are good. But you should aspire to things, not people. It’s best to be yourself. I wouldn’t be anyone else, not for anyone’s convenience.”

Momomi laughed. “That’s too true. So what do I aspire to?”

“Looking at these two? What else?” Kaname grinned. “To be the Etoiles.”

Momomi laughed again. “Now you’re just being delusional…”

Kaname shrugged and smiled. “Perhaps. But it sounds good, doesn’t it?”

“I suppose so. That’s good enough, isn’t it?” Momomi offered her hand. “How about it? I’ll chase that dream if you’ll chase it with me.”

“Why not? I can’t back down, if I raised it in the first place.” Kaname took her hand, and they smiled at each other, eyes glittering with amusement and affection. “Together, huh?”

Momomi nodded. “Together.”

Kariya waved irritably. “Hey! You two! Lovey-dovey moments won’t clean the floor, you know!”

Serané smiled affectionately. “You’re ruining the ambience, Kariya… can’t you be a little more considerate?”

“It’s just damn inappropriate, in the middle of a Church.”

Onwards to Part 63


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction