Astraea Lake (part 60 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 59 Untitled Document

Momomi stood and walked across the room, putting a hand on her hip and looking down at a sleeping Kaname. She smiled affectionately. Ever the cute idiot, sleeping so deeply…I wonder what she dreams about. Do I even want to know that? It probably involves Amane and violence, if this is my poor, serious Kaname we’re talking about. She leaned forwards, intending to shake her awake, when a more interesting alternative occurred to her. She knelt and rested her chin on the bed, level with Kaname’s face. Gently, she reached out and touched the girl’s cheeks. “Wake up… Ka-na-me…”

Kaname made a small noise and shifted, her eyes fluttering open. Crimson eyes gazed into brown for a moment, and then she blinked and threw herself backwards, instinctively dragging the covers up over her body. “Argh! What are you doing?”

Momomi laughed. “My, my. That was a lot funnier than I’d thought it would be.”

“Now my heart’s beating way too fast,” Kaname muttered. “Don’t do things like that, it’s scary.”

“Oh, don’t be so fussy. You should concentrate on the positives. You’re wide awake now, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, but I’m sure an adrenaline rush in the morning isn’t good for me.”

“It’s probably healthier than coffee.”

“Somehow I doubt that… whatever it does to my body, my nerves aren’t happy with you.” Kaname sat up, sighing. “In any case, expect me to return that favour at the next possible opportunity.”

Momomi leaned forwards, kissing her on the nose briefly. “I’ll anticipate it.”

“Ha.” Kaname looked away, flushing slightly. “You’ve got even cockier, you do know that, don’t you?”

“That’s because I have a beautiful girlfriend,” Momomi replied, standing and offering her hand. “That would boost anyone’s ego.”

“Not for subtlety, are you?” Kaname took her hand and pulled herself out of bed, yawning slightly. “Well, I’ll have to get used to that now, I suppose.”

“Doesn’t the moniker unsubtle suit you better?” Momomi teased. “Let’s be honest here.”

“Yeah, yeah. Just don’t make me mention all the things I could be calling you right now…”

“You’re cute when you complain.”

“Well, you’re uncute when you disturb my well-earnest rest. Though uncute is probably only a word very early in the morning…”

“Oh, be quiet and put our clothes out,” Momomi said affectionately. “Let’s save the sparring for when our minds are with the program, shall we?”

“Actually, I agree.”

Momomi found herself humming as she stepped into the bathroom, a little toneless tune of no significance. She stopped the moment she realised, slapping her hands twice against her cheeks in punishment before busying herself with the taps. Now, now, Momomi. Don’t completely lose your wits. It’s not good for someone like me to be acting like a ditzy teenager in love… and there’s that scary word again. I’m not comfortable with saying that. It feels like I’m inflating my own feelings and boosting my ego needlessly. But whatever it is, it makes me pretty happy and appears to drain my IQ by around five points a day. At this rate, I’ll be a dribbling fairy who spends her days writing sappy love poetry. Not an enviable destiny. And besides, this is Kaname I’m talking about. For all her wonderful qualities, she’s a very long way from a fairytale prince that girls dream about. Sure, she may be smart, strong, sporty, talented, delightfully possessive, hilariously cute, gratifyingly protective, sincere to me, caring to me, patient with me… even when she’s not that with anyone else, which makes it even better… but…I’m sure I was going somewhere with this. Never mind. Momomi smiled a little foolishly and splashed more cold water over her face than was strictly necessary. She laughed at her reflection, shaking her head vigorously then picking up a towel. Yeah, I’ve got it pretty bad. How embarrassing. But still, it’s just a lot more fun to be with Kaname. Even more enjoyable than things were before. I mean, obviously kissing is nice, but it’s something more than that. I’m not sure. I guess it’s the feeling of licence. Everything we did before, the casual touches, the hugs, the smiles, now they’re more meaningful, more legitimate, supported by a mutual understanding. She’s mine, I’m hers, and this is something we share. If I can call even a little bit of Kaname mine, I’m happy.

They got dressed and ready quickly and in silence, a comfortable silence. Momomi had noticed that Kaname was taking a little more care when she got changed, always trying to be out of sight. That’s strangely gratifying. After all, walls have to built up before they can be torn down. Then Kaname sat, relaxing in front of the mirror. Momomi stood behind her and smiled, running her hands briefly through the azure tangle before she picked up the comb. “Jeez, why does hair that short get so tangled?”

“Rather, I keep it this short because it gets so tangled,” Kaname explained. “Though I’m sure it doesn’t mind being spoiled by you every day as a result, either.”

Momomi giggled, getting to work. “Is it normal to talk about your hair as a sentient creature?”

“Yeah, well, in my case I’m not as convinced as I’d otherwise be that it isn’t one,” Kaname deadpanned. “Can you categorically prove that it isn’t an independent organism roosting on my head? It certainly doesn’t act on my will.”

“Yes, well, quite a few bodyparts are like that, you know.”

“Even if you say that, the others don’t tie themselves in knots and attempt to throttle me to death.” Kaname placed her hands on her legs. “Of course, your hair is similar.”

“Aren’t those qualities common to all hair, though?”

“A little. But they’re still very difficult. Your hair is long, sleek and cool, like a big cat or something.” Kaname smirked. “Though to be honest, a self-satisfied cat is a good metaphor for you generally.”

“An intelligent and independent animal who always has a certain aura, the one that says I don’t really need my masters.” Momomi smiled. “I could live with that. It’s fairly apt. Though I’m sure you cast me as something else before…”

Kaname shrugged. “Perhaps. As for my hair, something stubborn, prickly and defensive, I suppose-”

“Like a Kaname?”

“Very funny. You know, I was thinking something more like a wolf.”

“Or a hedgehog,” Momomi suggested innocently.

Kaname glared. “I don’t think they quite convey the right aura, you know, if you know what I mean.”

“They’re everything you said, though. No creature’s more prickly.”

“That’s nice. They’re still roadkill.”

“That’s not a problem. There aren’t any roads near the dorms.”

“Hardly the point.” Kaname snorted. “Don’t make me recast you as a dormouse.”

“I don’t know, you’re the sleepy one.” Momomi caressed Kaname’s scalp. “But let’s not take this too seriously.”

Kaname rubbed her nose, leaning back. “As ever, you enjoy having the last word.”

“Aren’t you the same?”

“Of course. That’s the problem.”

“Isn’t it better for both of us if we go without saying it, then?”

“On the contrary, that’s something we have to say precisely because it’s true for both of us.”

“What do we gain from that, though?”

“The self-conscious realisation of just how ridiculous we are.” Kaname’s reflection grinned, eyes lively and amused.

Momomi smiled back. “That’s true enough, I suppose. It’s definitely something we need to be reminded of from time to time.”

“Yeah, well, our erstwhile friends are very reliable for that, even without us.”

“And we do it right back, now don’t we?” Momomi observed, dropping her head and whispering. “Especially you, as I recall, Kaname.”

Kaname closed her eyes momentarily, cocking her head slightly. “Yeah. Honestly, do we call such a frank discourse true friendship or just a lot of ugly name-calling?”

“Both. As far as I can tell, the two are one and the same.” Momomi stroked her hair. “Don’t you think?”

“To judge by us two, that certainly makes sense,” Kaname agreed. “Though I’m sure I’d rather pretend that something more sane and less circular exists out there somewhere…”

“Perhaps, but a lot of things probably exist out there somewhere. Until we’ve uncovered pure, unadulterated true friendship from a mine shaft somewhere, we’ll have to manage on these poor makeshifts, won’t we?”

“Yeah. When you put it that way, there’s more heart in this way. Only an idiot would chase after hypothetical perfection. It’s better to settle for what is.”

Momomi laughed. “Nice to know I’m your second-best.”

“I’m sure I don’t rank any higher.”

“Oh, you rank lower, if we’re considering hypothetical entities anyway.” Momomi set the comb aside and slid her arms round Kaname’s neck. “But you’re right. It’s best if we concentrate on the things we can hold in our hands.”

“Well, quite.” Kaname looked at her reflection in amusement, blue hair framed by Momomi’s body and the brown hair spilling untidily over her shoulders. “I need a haircut, actually. You do too.”

“That’s a good point. I’m not sure how we do that, though. My sister always used to cut my hair.”

“Hold on a second. Is this Luigia? It can’t be, can it? It’s like she can do anything. This is your bastard half-sister by a maid, right?”

“I don’t think so,” Momomi replied, feigning a thoughtful face. “She just liked to do these things for me. Of course, I was generally stolen by my mother afterwards for damage control with professionals.”

“Well, I wouldn’t mind cutting out the middleman. If you’re leading up to you cutting my hair… I’m not cruel enough to subject even this alien parasite to your attentions.”

“You certainly haven’t lost your blunt streak,” Momomi complained. “But you’re right, that’d probably be too much even for me. Still, though, with your hair, how badly wrong could I go?”

“I don’t know. But I’m not too inclined to find out, either.”

Momomi frowned. “Well, my mother’s saloons are rather out of our price range. How about you? Where did you go to do your hair?”

Kaname frowned. “My mother cut it.”

Momomi blinked. “I see… was she any good at it?”

Kaname shook her head. “She was terrible. But she said she wasn’t going to waste the money on a proper haircut for me. Even though I found that unfair, I know what she means.”

Momomi sighed. “That’s a real shame. It’s at times like this, though, when I remember how different our backgrounds are…”

“Don’t bother thinking about it. It’s annoying.”

Momomi nodded. “Of course, don’t worry. I’m not the kind to go on stupid guilt trips about where I come from, even if I don’t like it.”

“Likewise. But you only draw more attention to it, so forget it.” Kaname stood. “In any case, I’ll do you now.”

Momomi sat, bowing her head slightly. “You look thoughtful,” she commented.

“Oh, right…” Kaname shook her head. “I’m just remembering things.”

“Do tell.”

“It’s not important. Just a few random thoughts.”

Momomi frowned and said nothing.

“But, well, where do I begin?” Kaname sighed, looking thoughtful. “My mother hated me. I know that. She always let me understand I was the worst thing that ever happened to her, her sin, a child she shouldn’t have and shouldn’t kill, a burden and her greatest shame of all… nothing she could take pride in, for all of my fragmented brilliance.”

Momomi glanced at her reflection with worried eyes. “Was it really that bad? It’s hard to believe that someone could truly hate their own child for no good reason.”

“Don’t be too naïve. It’s possible, and she even had reasons, of a kind.” Kaname’s scowl deepened. “But-”

“But?”

“She still looked after me.” Kaname shook her head. “It took me a while to grasp the significance of that. She could have given me up for adoption. Heck, if people had cared, I could have been torn from her by a court of law as well. But, for everything, for all her spite and all her venom and all the difficulty I caused her, she did care for me.”

Momomi nodded gently.

Kaname’s free hand curled into a fist. “You know, somehow, that really pisses me off.”

“I know what you mean. Somehow, it’s easier to hate someone than to try and reconcile their sins with their few good points.”

Kaname smirked. “That must be why we have so few friends. But still, I’ve always wondered why… not out of love. I know that much. Duty? Religion?”

Momomi shrugged. “Perhaps religion is it. It can make people act in certain ways, for good and for ill alike. But you’d know better than me.”

“I wish that was true. It’s a bloody mystery for me. She’s always been that to me.” Kaname’s expression darkened. “But still, she shouldn’t have treated me like that.”

Momomi turned, touching her hand. “It’s alright now, though, isn’t it? Where we’re going is more important.”

Kaname’s face relaxed slightly as she looked down. “I guess so. She does not define me, after all. I just remember. Pretty messed up, isn’t it? All of this.”

“We’re both pretty messed up. But we need happiness too.”

They finished in silence before picking up their things and heading out. “You know,” Kaname said after a few steps. “Do you have to go and see Amane today? Can’t you skip for once?”

“Oh, what’s this? Still jealous?” Momomi teased. “I’m very flattered.”

“Yeah, yeah. So I’m jealous. But still, you talked to her to try to get me jealous, so can’t you stop already?”

“It wasn’t just to get you jealous, you know.” Momomi smiled. “I didn’t think that’d achieve anything, but I needed something to take my mind off things.”

Kaname rolled her eyes. “That’s hardly the point…”

“Well, I’m friends with Amane now. Besides, it’s only for a few minutes, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, well, you spent like an hour with her yesterday. You owe me, already!”

“Even so, it’d be dishonest if I didn’t turn up without warning her, wouldn’t it?” Momomi looked at her. “And she is a friend, you know. Even if we’re together, we can have friends as well.”

Kaname frowned, folding her arms. “I know. But still, I don’t trust her. More importantly, it’s hardly fair. At least I’m always with you when you’re talking to the others, and you’re always with me, but I can hardly follow you with Amane. I can’t ride a horse and I can’t stand her.”

“It’s only half an hour a day, Kaname. Be reasonable.”

“That’s the point, though. It was a lot longer yesterday, and I’d rather that didn’t become a habit.”

Momomi shook her head. “Oh, come on. Even yesterday wasn’t too bad.”

“We went on our first date the day before,” Kaname complained. “Even if you say that, isn’t this a time to spoil me?”

“Well, we’ve had that argument yesterday, haven’t we? I should still see Amane.”

“Honestly, would she miss you even if you didn’t come?” Kaname snorted. “This is the aloof bitch who doesn’t care about anything or anyone. She wouldn’t mind.”

“That’s just how she likes to be seen, you know,” Momomi replied. “As far as I can tell, she’s actually quite lonely and vulnerable. Even if she wasn’t, it still wouldn’t justify me skipping.”

“This isn’t an appointment, already! Jeez. Can’t you just do it, already? As a favour to me.” Kaname huffed. “I’ll definitely bug you until you do, anyway.”

“Well, at this rate there won’t be any time left.” Momomi glanced sidelong at her friend. “But still, as a favour to you, is it? Do you enjoy my company that much?”

“Tch. Say what you like. I just don’t like you spending time with that stuck-up, spoiled prince.”

“If you say so, Kaname. As a favour, though… you’d definitely owe me something, right?”

“Well, yeah.” Kaname glanced at her cautiously. “Nothing too big, though. As you said, it’s a small thing.”

Momomi chuckled. “I see. Well, say please.”

“What?”

“You heard me. It’s polite when asking for favours.”

Kaname stuck her hands in her pockets. “Fine. Please.”

“No, no. What are you asking for?”

“For you to eat breakfast with the rest of us, already.”

Momomi shook her head. “Nope. You have to put the two together, you see. That’s how it goes.”

Kaname snorted. “Now you’re just pissing me off.”

“Well, I can always go and see Amane…”

“Alright! I get it already.” Kaname sighed theatrically. “I, Kaname Kenjou, respectfully request that you go with me to the canteen, Kiyashiki-sama. Like that? Or should I beg a bit?”

“No. That’s just fine, thank you.” Momomi smiled. “That wasn’t so hard, now was it?”

Kaname gritted her teeth. “Shut up.”

When they reached the canteen, Momomi’s gaze darted sideways, stopping on their table. Kaname followed her eyes then stopped. “What?”

“Anything wrong?” Momomi asked, as innocently as she could manage.

“What the hell is she doing here?”

“Well, if she’s coming back here anyway, it makes sense, don’t you think?” Momomi pointed out. “Besides, it’s more social. It’ll be good for her.”

“You’re looking mighty smug,” Kaname accused.

“Sorry…”

Kaname folded her arms, huffing. “You knew all along, didn’t you? You knew she’d be in here after all!”

“Let’s not be too noisy,” Momomi said. “Don’t you remember what happened the last time we had a blazing row in public?”

“Screw that!” Kaname snapped. “I’m pissed off, already!”

“I was just teasing you a little.”

“A little?”

“You know, this wouldn’t happen if you weren’t so dishonest,” Momomi said.

“You’re calling me dishonest? That’s beyond hypocrisy right now…”

“If it’s you, you won’t admit your own feelings unless I deceive you,” Momomi retorted, annoyed. “Is it so bad to want you to say you’d miss me?”

“You weren’t a lot further than that, didn’t you?”

“Well, forgive me. That’ll be the last time for a while that you’ll say anything, I thought I’d make it good.”

“Then shouldn’t you be the one to ask nicely instead of lying to me!”

“Now you’re just being disproportionate!”

“You were the one who took it too far just now!”

They glared at each other, folding their arms.

“A lover’s tiff already?” Shion murmured from behind them. They both jumped and turned around.

“Shut up,” Kaname muttered.

Shion sighed and threw up her hands. “I thought that might have been the case. Well, carry on, by all means. It’s good to get this out of your systems.”

Momomi scowled. “With you here? Shouldn’t you be talking to Amane?”

“Oh, don’t mind me,” Shion remarked. “I just happen to be around. Carry on as you were before.”

Kaname snorted. “Fine. We’ll get our breakfasts, already.”

They didn’t apologise, or say anything about it at all. That was how they did things, after all.

Momomi sat down with the others, nodding politely. “Good morning.”

“The lovers are as noisy as ever,” Amiki remarked. “I’d say get a room, but you have a room, you just don’t use it.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Kaname replied. “I was bored when Shion was talking about it. Forget it.”

“It’s your life.” Amiki shrugged and shook her head. “You two are definitely way too loud, though. Can’t you just kiss and make up, or something?”

“Well, any time you feel like disagreeing with Olesa in the smallest detail would be fine too,” Kaname retorted. “At least I have free will.”

“You have no self-control, that’s your problem. Even if you call it freedom, the freedom to argue loudly and pointlessly isn’t anything to be proud of it.”

“And being a sycophant is something to be proud of now?”

Amane sighed. “You all get exponentially more animated when these two arrive.”

“They’re an important part of the chemistry, somehow,” Shion said. “I’m not quite sure why, but that’s the way it is. It’s interesting, if nothing else. I guess opposites attract.”

“It’s simple.” Kaname picked up her chopsticks. “Even if opposites attract, that’s what you get in an atom, the balance of two opposed forces… when matter and antimatter meets, there’s a big explosion. That’s us four.”

Shion sighed. “Depressingly, that actually makes some sense for you all.”

“And you’re a neutron, along with Amane, because you don’t really contribute much either way,” Kaname observed.

“That’s very cruel of you, Kaname. Besides, I disagree with your assessment.” Shion closed her eyes. “I’m the outside observer, who determines the state of something. Without me, all your bickering would be very pointless and futile.”

“Actually, it’s pretty futile even if you’re here,” Momomi said. “And this is me saying that.”

“I take it Physics has been the latest study for your exams,” Olesa commented.

Momomi groaned and nodded. “Now you put it that way, this makes a lot more sense…”

“I don’t have anything to do with that,” Shion retorted, folding her arms. “I just know things.”

Kaname absently fed Momomi a pickle. “You know things on the third year syllabus, certainly.”

Shion sighed. “You really do have an unhealthy insight into this stuff. What’s the point of you attending the later years if you cram them for a test to get to the later years?”

Kaname shrugged. “Beats me. Ask the Etoiles. I just screw the system as best I can.”

Amane frowned. “Why are people staring at us?”

“Huh?” Momomi looked around and sighed. “Oh, right. Well, shouldn’t you know?”

Amane shook her head. “None of us are doing anything interesting. We’re just eating and talking. There isn’t anything to stare at here, is there?”

“Shouldn’t you be used to this by now?” Kaname groused. “It’s your fault, after all.”

“Why? I’m not riding a horse or anything.” Amane sighed. “I don’t really get it…”

“It doesn’t matter very much whether you’re riding a horse or not,” Momomi replied carefully.

“More importantly, people find it strange that you’re talking to us, of all people,” Shion said matter-of-factly. “It’s a mixture of jealousy and resentment worsened by our perceived flaws as eccentric people. As Kenjou-kun says, this is probably something you should expect.”

“So this is my fault? I see…” Amane closed her eyes. “How irritating. It’s not like I’m doing anything abnormal.”

“Can’t you just tell them to shut up or something?” Kaname asked. “I’d been blocking it out, but now you’ve drawn attention to it, can’t you just tell them to look away and shut the hell up?”

Amane shook her head. “That would be impolite.”

“It’s impolite to stare, you know!”

“That’s not my business. Besides, they don’t generally listen to me.”

“Why not?” Amiki asked. “Forgive me for sounding like Kaname, but you’re like their God. Just tell them, thou shalt not stare.”

Amane snorted, her expression dark. “I’d kill to make things that simple, you know. It’s not like I enjoy this either.”

Shion sighed and leaned backwards. “You’re all being a little naïve. For those people who the public has decided to idolise, it’s not a completely happy fate. Even if they respect and worship the person, they won’t respect any stated boundaries. People criticise paparazzi all the damn time, but they still buy the newspapers filled with those stories. They’re hypocritical like that. And whatever Ohtori-san actually wants, they’ll do what they like while protesting their innocence.” She shrugged. “As my father said, if it sells copies it will be done. If journalists are guilty, the public isn’t innocent either. But the cult of celebrity lives on.”

“This would be where you get your dominating traits from,” Momomi observed. “Those are some pretty handy self-justifications.”

“Smugness aside, you take my point.”

“I suppose so,” Momomi agreed.

“Yeah, well, forgive me for not feeling sorry for those celebrities or Amane either,” Kaname snorted. “They’re more than recompensed for the oh-so dire inconvenience of a lot of attention.”

“You have a point.” Amane leaned forwards pensively. “All the same, I can’t say I particularly enjoy the situation. I would much rather have a quieter life.”

“Well, it does have it’s advantages,” Shion said. “You just need to be better at harnessing them, Ohtori-san. I make use of my young friends, even these young friends around me in small ways. For someone like you, you’d never have to buy lunch again.”

“And you could collect a year’s worth of chocolate on Valentine’s day,” Amiki added. “That would be pretty nice.”

“And people would kill to have the privilege of helping you do chores in the stables, even cleaning out the dung.” Momomi frowned thoughtfully. “That would be pretty convenient, actually?”

Amane sighed. “Am I the only one who finds that kind of thing tiring?”

“Probably,” Amiki said casually. “But what can you do?”

“And you could have people paying to clean your-”

Momomi wasn’t quite sure how Kaname intended that sentence, but she kicked her and stuck a large piece of fish in her mouth just in case.

“Of course, the other thing about the cult of personality is how fickle it is,” Shion observed. “People like a villain as much as they do a hero, Ohtori-san.”

“I know. Well, if I was hated, that would be easier…”

“Shut up,” Kaname snapped. “You don’t have any right to say that.”

Amiki sighed. “Do you have to be so confrontational, Kaname? It’s getting pretty annoying.”

“She’s right. I’m sorry.”

Momomi blinked and smiled. “She’s not really bothered, you know. Don’t take us too seriously.”

Kaname snorted. “Speak for yourself. I get irritated when someone like her says something like that. That’s just the worst kind of coddled presumption.”

Amane frowned. “Well, however justified, your jealousy is also more than a little obnoxious…”

Kaname bridled. “Why, you-”

Shion smiled pleasantly. “Let’s just move on, shall we? As for your original question, Ohtori-san, you shouldn’t worry about it. As my father would say, a new story is the next beat in the heart of the press… or, in other words, people have short attention spans. If, indeed, you make a habit of this, or even if you don’t, they will come to dismiss it as normal and move on. You simply have to ignore them.”

Amane nodded. “Even though, this must be troublesome for you all.”

“I’ve had worse,” Kaname grunted. “A lot worse. Don’t worry yourself to death in your guilty-aristocrat way.”

“Kaname, you should be more polite.” Momomi smiled at Amane. “Don’t worry about it. A lot of people are jealous of us, after all. It’s rather fun.”

“Ah.” Amane nodded once, closing her eyes. “I see.”

“We really aren’t the people you should be worrying about,” Amiki commented. “But how about you? Not to be unfriendly or anything, but I don’t quite follow why you’re talking to us of all people?”

Amane shrugged. “I was bored.”

“Yes, but why us? Specifically?” Momomi asked. “I think that’s what she means.”

“Why not?”

“Don’t answer that,” Olesa said. “We only have a finite amount of time before morning lessons begin.”

Kaname snorted. “Don’t talk about us as if you’re not involved.”

“You’re still over-defensive. It’s a pity. I was hoping your relationship would mature you.”

“Yeah, you’re a fine one to talk!”

“Yes, yes, that’s fine. Play nice, children.” Shion sighed. “This is what I do, I suppose.”

“It gets pretty annoying when you’re the one acting like you’re above us, too,” Kaname said. “After all, you’re the one who began stalking us in the first place.”

“You mean I was kind enough to nice two complete-”

Momomi just sighed loudly, cutting them both off. “We’re all arrogant losers? Can we settle for that and move on?”

Amane folded her hands and looked up at Momomi. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure,” Momomi said, casually feeding Kaname some more fish.

“Were you arguing about me earlier?”

Momomi blinked. “Not at all, really, no…”

“It sounded like you were,” Amane said doubtfully.

“That was just those two being stupid idiots,” Amiki said. “It’s nothing to worry about, they’re just like that. Possibly constant arguments is something they do so they can make up a lot.”

“Yes, thank you,” Momomi muttered. “But it was basically my fault. Plus Kaname’s over-sensitivity.”

Kaname snorted loudly and said nothing.

“Ah.” Amane glanced at them for a few moments, then nodded.

“To touch on another subject, we’ve managed to finalise the date of the auditions.” Shion smiled broadly, eyes glittering. “They’ll be next Saturday. If you two can finish the script before then, that would be great, but we can always just go with what we have. We really want to get moving if we’re going to have enough time to rehearse properly, though.”

Momomi groaned. “As ever, you’re pushing us way too hard. But fine. I’ll see what I can do.”

Olesa nodded. “It should be possible.”

“That’s good, as expected of you two.” Shion smiled. “You’re both very talented. I’m lucky that I found you.”

“Yeah. Well, flattery won’t make us work any faster. We’re at our limit already.” Momomi snorted. “But not for you. We have our pride, you know.”

“Of course. I’ll await the final manuscript with high expectations.” Shion leaned forwards. “You know, Eida-san wasn’t sure whether you two were the best choices for the job. I’m looking forwards to proving her wrong.”

Momomi smirked. “No need to anticipate that. It’s simply something that will happen.”

“As confident as ever. That’s good.” Shion grinned. “But like I said before, I’m expecting to see you both at the rehearsals as well. I want to see how far your talents go.”

“And I told you before, as a matter of favours this ends with the script, doesn’t it?” Momomi smiled back. “If I’m interested in anything from there on in, it’ll be my own decision.”

“Of course. That’s why it’s important.” Shion nodded. “But for someone like you, who wants recognition and popularity, this is a great chance. To star in the play you wrote, that would be very dramatic indeed…”

“Ha. And I suppose if you find great scriptwriters who also happen to be good actors, that reflects well on you too,” Momomi replied. “And your year, which wants this play to be a success, will be most impressed. Something like that?”

Kaname groaned. “Shut up. You’re being really boring, you know. Who cares about reading out some lines on stage in a stupid play, anyway?”

“I’m expecting you to turn up as well, Kenjou-kun. You have a good voice.”

“Why the hell would I do that?”

“Because it’s a good way to keep up with your Momomi.” Shion smirked. “Besides, I have the perfect part for you. If you’re good enough…”

“Of course, you’re relying on them, aren’t you?” Olesa observed. “I won’t get involved. I’ve no desire to take to the stage. But you’re placing a lot of faith in them both.”

“Naturally. I believe in them.”

Momomi blinked, caught a little off-guard by that statement. “You certainly know how to exploit people…”

“I just want you to help me to help you. That’s all.” Shion glanced at Amane. “And of course we have a part for you as well. I know it isn’t really your style, Ohtori-san, but it would be excellent for us both.”

Amane shrugged. “I’ll think about it.”

“You’ll think about anything,” Kaname muttered. “It’s coming up with the right answer that is the problem.”

Amane nodded briefly. “For now, I’ll take my leave.” She stood. “But if at any time it could become possible for us to have a longer, private conversation, Kiyashiki-san, I would be grateful for that.”

Momomi blinked. “Uh… I’ll see…”

“Have a good day.”

Shion frowned. “As ever, she’s an enigmatic girl.”

Momomi rubbed her forehead. “You don’t have to tell me that. Say, Olesa, do you know what’s going on in her head?”

Olesa frowned, watching the blue-haired girl leave. “Perhaps jealousy. I don’t know.”

Momomi frowned. “Jealousy of what?”

Olesa just shrugged. “You should know better than me.”

Onwards to Part 61


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction