Astraea Lake (part 56 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 55 Untitled Document

Momomi kicked the covers away idly and forced herself up out of bed, rubbing her eyes and yawning. Note to self… staying up until twelve talking about random things was a really, really bad idea. Happiness is one thing but you still gotta get up in the morning. She stretched her shoulders, shaking her head and slapping her cheeks a couple of times to shake the last vestiges of sleep from her body. I still need to go see Amane. I can’t wait to tell her about everything that’s happened. Right now, I just need to talk and talk and gush like a complete idiot, and I’d rather it wasn’t with those three. Besides, Amane’s safe. It’s not like she’d tell anyone. I’ll just have to concentrate on not embarrassing myself too much. I still need to see if I can get her to take part in the school play, for a start. Momomi walked over to the vases, inspecting the flowers with a smile. Yeah. And turning up at the Etoiles’ room at eleven and asking to borrow another vase may not have been such a good idea, either. But it was hilarious at the time. The look on Kariya’s face…not even her sarky comments could take away that simple pleasure. That was awesome. She touched the roses gently. Yeah. Yesterday was one hell of a day, from the beginning to the end. Makes me feel a little hollow, actually. How can anything follow that? Talk about an emotional rollercoaster… I’m still working it all out in my head. It’s all too unreal. How can that have genuinely occurred, when it was so much like a dream? When she said that, I didn’t want to believe it, in a strange way. I’m still wondering whether I’m dreaming or deluded or being misled somehow, it’s just too perfect. If that was the case, this would be tragic. Well, these roses are real, and their thorns are sharp, so that has to be proof. The world has good features as well. Though no doubt I’ll go right back to pessimism the moment I stop seeing the world through a romantic haze. I’m oddly glad of that fact.

Kaname made a small noise, turning over in her bed. Momomi smirked and walked over to the bed, pulling the covers back and shaking her by the shoulders. “Wake up, you lazy clod! Come on! The sun rises on a beautiful day!”

“Oh, gedoff…” Kaname grumbled. “I jus’ woke up. I’m tired.”

“No excuses.” Momomi practically dragged Kaname out of bed, jumping back and letting her stagger to her feet before she fell. “I thought you were the early riser?”

“The occasional early riser,” Kaname corrected sleepily, yawning. “What about you?”

“I evidently have more stamina than you,” Momomi replied. “Now hurry up and wake, already.”

“Jeez, what’s the rush?” Kaname looked wistfully at her bed before sighing. “Always hurrying somewhere or other…”

Momomi tried not to stare at her girlfriend, dressed in nothing but a crumpled shirt and her underclothes. I shouldn’t stare…but she’s my girlfriend now. It’d be impolite not to notice. “Well, isn’t it nice to get up early and achieve more during the day?”

“Tch. You’re going to fall asleep in geography, you know.”

“I’ll be fine. You’re just being cynical.” Momomi walked towards the bathroom. “In any case, get our clothes out, and our books too. I’ll go in here first.”

“Fine…” Kaname grumbled. “Whatever.”

Momomi smirked. Always so bad tempered in the mornings…She shut the door, leaning forwards and running the tap. She splashed water on her face then filled a class with water, putting it aside and applying toothpaste to her brush. Her reflection stared back at her, looking vaguely amused at her ruffled hair and slightly reddened eyes. I’ve always noticed…well, might as well say it. “You know,” she called. “It’s kind of interesting, but we pretty much skip out on the keeping up appearances and angsting about what to wear to dates phase, don’t we?”

“I suppose so,” Kaname agreed. “Suits me just fine. That crap doesn’t interest me.”

“Well, don’t worry. I’m used to seeing you at your worst, so it’s fine.” Momomi began to brush her teeth.

“You’re the same, you know. But my main problem is you’re going to play dress-up with me anyway.”

Momomi took her toothbrush out of her mouth for a moment. “You know me too well, don’t you?”

“Well, you’re kind of predictable.”

“But this an interesting thing about the roommate system…” Momomi’s reflection smiled maliciously. “It’s like we’re married or something, isn’t it?”

“Don’t talk about that as if it’s a good thing,” Kaname retorted. “We’ll be skipping the most spontaneous and exciting parts of a relationship, and it all goes downhill from here.”

“You’re as cynical as ever,” Momomi observed, her reflection pouting momentarily. Then she carried on brushing her teeth.

When she’d finished, she walked out and found that Kaname had all but finished her part. They swapped roles with assurance. “Actually, we’re probably more experienced than newlyweds,” Momomi quipped as she walked past.

“Even worse, like I said,” Kaname replied without looking round.

“You’re such a ray of light.” Momomi started to unbutton her shirt. “I’m sure some marriages work. Even if things aren’t always so intense, isn’t there something to be said for compassionate familiarity?”

“Yeah. Well, that depends on the person. Some people like that. Some people ask life to bring on the affairs.” Water started to run.

“Oh? And are you that kind of person, I wonder? Will I have to be very vigilant?” Momomi tossed her shirt onto the bed; unhooking her bra and letting it drop. She pulled a fresh one from her drawer and put it on. As tempting as it is to like Kaname do that as well, I’d better keep to the lines we established. She doesn’t exactly handle change very well. Hopefully this time will be different.

“I don’t know about my inclinations. But right now, my inability means there’s currently no problem.”

Momomi chuckled. “You’re being very harsh on yourself, but I take your point.” She dressed quickly. “And on another note… do you still remember the time you walked in on me naked?”

“Yeah, yeah. That wasn’t too bad. Do you remember the time when you walked in on me naked?”

“Okay, so that was worse. Not my fault. You should have locked the door.”

“You should have knocked.” Kaname grunted. “But still, you went very red. With the benefit of hindsight, I was very obtuse then.”

Momomi giggled. “Well, hindsight makes everything appear so much easier, doesn’t it? It makes you feel like what happened is inevitable, as we accept the past as fact. The future's speculative, though.”

“Granted. But-”

“But?”

“Well, there’s the past me being understandably uncertain. Then there’s the past me being bloody stupid.”

Momomi laughed. “Well, quite. But we all feel like that. I know I do, about a lot of things.”

“Oh? Like what?”

“That’s a secret.” She buttoned up her shirt. “Perhaps I’ll tell you some day. But in the meantime, you can guess away.”

Kaname snorted, stepping out of the bathroom. “Some things don’t change.”

Momomi grabbed her comb from the dresser and walked into the bathroom again. It’s still kinda annoying that we have to do this. But I don’t think I want to be naked around her just yet. Give it some time…her reflection smirked again. That’s still something good about this relationship. Kaname won’t force me to do anything, because she takes ages to admit to herself that she even wants to do it at all. She ran a hand through her hair, untangling a few obvious knots, and wondered where to start.

Kaname opened the door and stepped in, standing behind her. “Boo.”

Momomi blinked. “Hi?”

“You should let me do that, you know,” Kaname remarked.

She hasn’t got dressed yet…well, of course. How could she have? Momomi smiled. “Hmm… actually, that doesn’t sound like a bad idea. You’d better do a good job, though.”

“Do you expect anything less of me?” Kaname grabbed her wrist and dragged her back to the dresser, placing her on the chair in front of the mirror.

On the other hand, perhaps she can learn. I could get used to this. Momomi leaned back and closed her eyes. “Well, go on, then. You’re up against Luigia, by the way. She was very good.”

“Tch. She’s on the other side of the world. She doesn’t count.”

“Aren’t you just afraid of losing?” Momomi teased. She opened her eyes and looked at the mirror with interest. This was too much of an opportunity to waste.

“I’m not afraid of losing to her at this,” Kaname grunted. “In the same way I’m not afraid of admitting that I’d kick her ass three times over in a fight.”

Her jaw’s tight. Looks like she’s concentrating…how endearing. “Of course. Well, you aren’t having a fight, but you are brushing my hair?” Momomi shrugged theatrically. “So it’s irrelevant, isn’t it?”

“Oh, be quiet.”

She looks good in that shirt, too, ruffled is her look…Momomi smiled as Kaname first touched her hair, running rough fingers through her brown tresses. That feels nice. She’s surprisingly gentle. If a little clumsy, but that’s just how she is.

“Well?”

“Not as good as Luigia.”

“As fussy as ever…” Kaname started to comb her hair. “Be careful, or I’ll pull some out.”

“It’s still fine, though,” Momomi conceded, smiling. Kaname Kenjou, combing my hair…how the mighty have fallen.

“Well, I’d do this either way. You might as well get used to it.”

They sat in a comfortable silence for a few moments, Kaname gently brushing her hair, before she spoke again. “Say… are you going to talk to Amane this morning?”

“Yeah.” Momomi frowned slightly. “Even if you aren’t a fan, I quite like her. Besides, I do owe her for putting up with me.”

“Do you have to? Can’t you skip just this once?”

“Sorry, nope.” Momomi grinned. “Try me when we’re married.”

“That’s not even legal in this country, you know.”

“Did I say to each other?” Momomi teased. “We could just as easily seduce rich guys and asset strip them in high-profile divorces.”

“Is that possible, either?”

“I’m not sure. This is why we need to study law.”

“And you accuse me of being cold,” Kaname remarked. “But that’s not important. If you insist, I suppose it can’t be helped.”

“Even when I’m using people, I do have some pride, you know.” Momomi looked thoughtfully at Kaname’s frowning reflection. “Besides, she’s someone who interests me. She’s so damned mysterious. Plus she’s pretty… well, restful to talk to. I know what Olesa means now. It’s all ah and indifference, but at least she’s reliable and doesn’t spread gossip.”

“Can you not tell her about us?”

Momomi blinked. “Why? Like I said, she’s trustworthy.”

Kaname scowled. “I just wouldn’t like it, that’s all.”

“Well, I would like it. I mean, come on, I used her for this and she knows. The least I can do for her is let her know what’s going on.”

Kaname sighed. “You’re going to carry on no matter what I say, aren’t you?”

“Probably,” Momomi admitted. “I won’t if you have a real reason. But I don’t really see anything to be worried about.”

“Well, Amane…” Kaname frowned for a moment, then shrugged. “Never mind. Just… be careful, okay?”

Momomi chuckled. “That’s touching. But I’m probably in more danger from you.”

After Kaname had finished, they swapped places, Momomi playing with her girlfriend’s hair and teasing her while she worked carefully. Then she’d finished dressing, shoved her shoes on and packed her bag hastily. “Can you get my breakfast for me, okay? Whatever’s cheapest is fine.”

“Okay.” Kaname didn’t sound very happy, but she didn’t sound like she was about to argue either.

Momomi smiled. “I’ll be back in time for breakfast, okay? Probably. I promise.”

“Fine. If you must.”

“Now be good while I’m gone.” Momomi giggled at Kaname’s annoyed look. “Okay, I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

Kaname looked away. “Just… be quick, okay?”

“Sure.” Momomi turned and left, happiness bubbling up within her. This is real. This is as real as those roses, their beautiful red petals and their sharp green thorns. It may be hard to believe, but it’s all real.

The air was cold and the sun bright but low in the sky, slanting through the trees and half-blinding her. Crisp grass crunched under her feet. It is, perhaps, a beautiful day to look at that is less pleasant to be in. Next time I’m in town, I should buy a coat. But that stuff doesn’t really matter. She walked into the forest, glad of the relative solitude. She’d spent more time than she normally would getting ready, what with one thing and another, but there was still plenty of time. Momomi looked around idly, taking in her surroundings with an idle concentration. Yes, after a while, you look at this place without seeing. I suppose that it just blurs into the background, because it’s static, reliable and unchanging, even if it’s beautiful. I suppose I thought like that for some time, but now I’m looking round and remembering, and it has changed. Slowly, steadily, so I hardly noticed, but still it changed. The leaves are brown now, and most of them have fallen. A far cry from the brilliant greenery I saw when I first arrived. The trees are gaunter and harder, older and more wizened, or at least they look that way. But it’s still quite a beautiful place, all the same, and I can remember that now. The greatest part of its beauty is the simple tranquillity, as well. You could quite happily get lost in the forest and wander for hours, circling the perimeter of the lake. I’ve never done that, though. Somehow that just takes too much energy, and after you’ve seen a little of it there’s a conceit that you’ve seen it all, even though that’s clearly not true. What’s on the other side? I don’t know. Does anyone know? It was this long before I even thought to ask. But still, even if I take it for granted, it is a beautiful forest. My mother must have been very happy in it. Momomi smirked. I’m sure I could make a metaphor out of this, but I’m not in the mood. Sometimes a tree’s just a tree.

Amane was exactly where she’d expected. She was quite reliable in that respect. “Yo,” Momomi said, waving cheerfully.

Amane looked up and wrinkled her brow. “Good morning.”

Momomi came to a halt and looked down at her unlikely companion. “How are you today?”

Amane shrugged, completely unfazed, and picked another piece of egg up from her plate. “Well enough.” She ate it.

“I see. Fair enough. I only have a few minutes, by the way. I need to eat my breakfast.” Momomi sat down beside her, sighing when the appropriate reply failed to materialise. “How are the horses?”

“They are well. Starbright is a little flighty right now, I think he enjoys the cooler air. Ganymede is similar, but I think she’s just following after him. Sol, on the other hand, is quite tranquil by her standards. You’re lucky.” Amane closed her eyes momentarily, smiling. “It’s often that way. One leads, one follows and one goes the other way. But most people would say I’m overanalysing.”

“I see,” Momomi said politely. “You pay close attention to them, don’t you?”

Amane nodded. “Of course. They’re very expressive creatures, you know. They have moods and personalities, especially the hot-blooded ones. That’s why I dislike horse riding as a casual pastime. They’re sensitive to and for our purposes dependant on their rider and carers, so people shouldn’t take them lightly.”

“Really? I can’t really tell them apart. A horse is a horse, to me.” Momomi chuckled. “I guess I have a long way to go, right?”

Amane nodded. “You are not bad in technical terms. But you still see Sol in an excessively utilitarian light.” She shrugged. “Well, many would say I’m overly sentimental. If you treat her well, there’s nothing for me to fear.” She returned to her breakfast.

“Well, if you’re saying it, I should probably take notice. Whatever you do, it works, right? You’re rated as the young genius rider.”

“Of course.” Amane closed her eyes. “I’m the best rider this school has.”

Momomi blinked. “You say that very matter-of-factly…”

“It is a matter of fact.” Amane looked away. “But things are more complicated than that. People look at me and say that Amane is an amazing rider. I am technically skilled, but that’s a matter of good training and hard experience. Much of the flair and excellence of my riding comes from Starbright, though. We’re a team. This isn’t kendo. My horse is my partner, but casual people only see me. They don’t appreciate that.”

“I’m pretty sure swordsmen can come to call their swords their partners, you know,” Momomi teased. “And a fine sword helps them excel, too. But it’s still their skill that is being flattered by the blade. Not the other way round.”

“That may be true. But if you ask me, horse riding remains the opposite kind of sport in that. I can flatter my horse, and that does provide an extra edge sometimes, but the horse is the decisive aspect.” Amane closed her eyes. “That’s why horse riding is well-suited to nobility. It’s expensive, and success can be brought, if you’re willing to pay the price. I hate that kind of rider.”

Momomi frowned and cocked her head. Well…not exactly what I wanted to talk about. But still, if this is what she wants, I’ll grin and bear it. “You’d probably hate my parents, then.”

“Ah.” Amane shrugged. “Perhaps. But I should as easily hate my parents, and then myself. The difference isn’t great.”

Momomi tried to work this out. “So… basically you’re frustrated by that? The fact you’re so dependant on them?”

Amane smiled. “It makes sense that this would have occurred to you, as well. You, though, took action.”

“Yeah. Well, it wasn’t like I wanted to, it was more like I had to.”

“Ah.” Amane looked away. “How are you?”

“I’m good.” Momomi’s eyes narrowed. That right question, but late, and ultimately she’s changing the subject. Is she worried that I’m hitting closer to the mark? Or is she just jerking me around again?

“I see.” Amane was silent for a few moments, eating more of her food. “And how is Kenjou?”

“She’s fine, I think.” Momomi closed her eyes, trying to find words. “Kaname, she… well, she confessed to me yesterday.”

Amane glanced at her impassively, eyes narrowing slightly. Then she turned away and nodded. “Ah.”

“Ah? That’s all you have to say?”

“I anticipated this. That it should happen in the fullness of time, in any case.”

Momomi frowned, annoyed. “You sound pretty confident for someone who barely knows us.”

Amane just shrugged. “Perhaps. In any case, congratulations.”

“Why, thank you,” Momomi replied sarcastically.

“I wish I understood why she was slow and hesitant.” Amane frowned. “If nothing else, Kenjou is decisive. Often violently so. But in this, she was inept.”

“You’re pretty uncharitable, aren’t you?” Momomi muttered. “Well, it’s probably not something you’d understand, but it’s something I went through myself. It’s very easy to be uncertain.”

“You’re probably right.” Amane sighed. “I wish… I could find stuff like that easy to understand.”

Momomi blinked then relaxed, closing her eyes. “In any case, I’m probably boring you. I don’t want to be the sort of person who goes on and on and on about this stuff…”

Amane shook her head. “No. It’s… interesting.”

“Interesting?” Momomi frowned. Did I hear that right?

“Well, to be more precise… it’s hard to understand. It was obvious that Kenjou had fallen for you, but she was slow to act on that.”

“Like I said-”

“I know. But when I think about it, it’s also out of character for Kenjou to fall for you at all.”

Momomi pouted. “Well, thanks for the vote of confidence there.”

“The Kenjou I knew was antisocial, violent and completely disinterested in other people. For her to find you so important… perhaps I misjudged her somewhat.” Amane shrugged. “But I don’t think that’s down to the power of love. What do you think?”

“Well, it’s not like she was an antisocial freak one moment and enjoying my company the next. It’s more of a gradual change, you know.”

“So when did this start?”

Momomi frowned. “You know, I can’t exactly remember? A month ago, now? No, maybe not even that long… it feels like that was a long time ago.” She glanced at Amane and forestalled the next inevitably question. “Because a lot changed in my life over that time, you see.”

Amane frowned. She looked away again, but Momomi wasn’t fooled. For once, she was fully focused. “And during that time you had a confrontation with your parents? That is what I recall.”

“That’s correct.” Momomi scowled at the formal language she’d slipped into. “I mean, yeah. They wanted to take me away from the school, and I didn’t want to go.”

“Why?” Amane looked at her steadily. “You had no friends, poor attendance and effort records and had been sent here as a punishment.”

“Since when did you know this much about me?”

“I was forced to know things about Kenjou.” Amane looked away. “Well? Surely that was a dangerous move…”

“I’m tired of being lead,” Momomi complained. “Why don’t you say what you think, already? It’s not like you’re doing anything but forcing me that way…”

Amane shrugged. “I know it was because of Kenjou.”

Momomi flushed. Admitting that between ourselves is one thing, but it’s completely different when Amane is saying that as if she can read me like a book or something. “Well… you shouldn’t be so dramatic… half of it was the principle of the thing, you know. I wanted to prove my independence. And for Amane, as well, one of her chief motivations was to screw over my father because he was rich. We weren’t very close at that time.”

Kaname frowned. “I see. But still, you went a long way for idealism. Especially when you sacrificed a life of relative ease in the process.”

Momomi shrugged. “Well, you know it as well, don’t you? The frustration of being bound and indebted to people who want to control you?”

“Ah. The difference, though, is that you resisted. And I’m not an expert, but my impression was you did not enjoy those days…”

“Well, fine. My friendship with Kaname was a factor as well; I’ll admit that. But it was different for both of us because neither of us had ever had any real friends before.”

Amane just nodded.

She understands. Of course she would. She is an Olesa without an Amiki. “So it wasn’t really anything to do with romance then. That’s how I see it, anyway.” She smiled. “Love at first sight just sounds kinda stupid, doesn’t it?”

“Of course.” Amane finished her breakfast and put the tray aside. “But it’s still a curiosity to me. What do you see in Kenjou?”

Momomi rolled her eyes. “Oh, come on. I managed a half-answer to that one already.”

Amane folded her hands in her lap and looked away moodily. “Please.”

“Well, fine. But even if you insult her all the time, she isn’t a bad person…” Momomi scratched her cheek. “No, actually, she may well be a bad person. But that’s not the point. She’s good for me and to me, if you know what I mean. That’s enough.”

“I don’t follow.”

“Well, how do you say it? She’ll protect me, even if she’s violent. And she cares for me, even if she’s antisocial. And because she doesn’t like a lot of people, I can value the fact that she cares for me even more. She doesn’t always have the best way of showing it and she can find it hard to express herself, she’s dishonest and evasive and oblivious of my feelings and her own… but I can see past all hat, and I know she’s kind to me. She tries hard.”

“I see.”

Momomi groaned. “Yeah, I sounded like an idiot again. Look, don’t ask me for a third time, okay? It’s not something I can put into words, but trust me, it makes sense, okay?”

Amane shook her head. “No. It sounds enjoyable.”

Momomi glanced at her, limps curling slightly. “Oh? Do you think you want to try having a girlfriend after all? You have a lot of potential candidates, right?”

“No.”

“Tch. You’re hopeless.”

“Unless I aspired to it, it would be meaningless.”

Momomi snorted. “Why? You could still grow into it, you know. Or else seduce a senpai. It’s not like you wouldn’t be able to do it…”

“No, it sounds like this is as I said before. Your love is a dream about another person.” Amane frowned, looking philosophical. “No, perhaps not. The pleasure you derive from her company, that love, is the reward for the dream, akin to money, power or fame. And the dream itself is your aspiration to her.”

“You’re a closet romantic, aren’t you? That’s pretty surprising.” Momomi laughed. “But still, you don’t need to make things sound so dramatic. She’s just fun to be around, and… I don’t know… things feel better like that.”

“Isn’t that the same thing in different words?”

“Not exactly,” Momomi replied evasively. “Besides, love is a bad word. Everyone knows thirteen year-olds are too stupid to fall in love, but they put it in emo poetry. I like her, okay? If she’s still grappling with that she isn’t ready for the stronger l-word, either.”

“By the sounds of it, neither are you.”

Momomi bit back a sarcastic reply. “No. I suppose you’re right.”

Amane played with the grass. “But still, it’s a wonderful thing. To have that kind of conviction, something that can move even Kenjou one way or the other, and demonstrate her more pleasant side…”

“Ehh… I suppose so.” Momomi frowned.

“I told you before. I lack those things.”

“Does that upset you?”

Amane shook her head. “I see enough from here.”

“I can assure you, that isn’t the same as experiencing it…” Momomi gave her a strange look. “Well, it’s odd to think about, but actually, that’s true. You’re often surrounded by people, but still, you’re always alone. Right?”

“Ah.” Amane’s eyes were cold for a moment, and then she turned to regard an innocent tree. “What are you going to do now?”

Another change of conversation. Momomi cocked her head, considering. “Well, to be honest, it was more of a hopeful maybe, so I’m just getting over-enthusiastic. But we’re going on a date tomorrow and seeing how things go. That reminds me, I won’t be able to visit tomorrow. After that, I… I’ve got no idea. We’ll just see how things turn out.”

Amane sighed.

Momomi scowled. “What? Anything wrong with that?”

“No. It’s just… uncreative.”

“Well, it’s also tried and tested, you know. That sounds good to me.”

“Bumbling around in the dark, trusting in feelings, never planning and always relying on everything to turn out well because you hope they will… isn’t that stupid?” Amane shrugged. “If I was you, I’d at least try to know where it was I’m going.”

“Well, with real people you can’t exactly plan and prod them around like chess pieces. They’re not that simple to deal with.” Momomi folded her arms. “Not Kaname, anyway. Right now, when her feelings are still uncertain, it’s better to let things run on. Then I can see where I stand.”

Amane made a doubtful sound. “And what of each case? And what of your intentions? There are many kinds of romantic relationship, after all.”

“Well, I don’t know, do I? Whatever works for us, right?”

“Two people can think about the same thing in a different way.” Amane folded her arms. “Dreams are good. I acknowledge as much. But like other ambitions, your tactics were important in coming this far. You don’t have to have a happy ending.”

Momomi huffed irritably. “Oh, what do you know about it? We just go with what works, and it has worked. If it falls down, we can worry then. But you’re no one with any right to lecture me…”

Amane looked at the ground. “I suppose not. But for an Ohtori, it would be illogical to carry on without thinking.”

Momomi frowned, looking at her thoughtfully. “You’re surprisingly cold and cynical.”

“I think. A lot.” Amane closed her eyes.

“And these thoughts? Are they punishment for my own probes?” Momomi prodded her. “You don’t make a lot of sense to me, Amane-san. You’re very enthusiastic about love and dreams, but cynical about their outcome. And you appear to envy me my company, but when I call you on that, you attack me for my lack of foresight…”

Amane smiled and chuckled slightly. “Well, I’m a strange person. I’m sure you can forgive me.”

Momomi frowned. And strike three. Damnit, is she still screwing with my head?

“But still, it doesn’t hurt to be cautious, now does it?” Amane shrugged. “It doesn’t sound smart to stop thinking just yet. Kenjou, too, is a strange person.”

“As am I. Fine. I take your point, even if it bursts my romantic little bubble. But don’t make too much of this, either. You don’t know much about the two of us, after all.”

Amane checked her watch. “Hadn’t you better eat your breakfast now?”

Momomi looked down, blinked, then shot up. “Damnit! I stayed too long again!”

Amane chuckled gently. “I see…”

“Ooh, Kaname’s going to be furious…” Momomi mused, ignoring the unusual sound. “Sorry, but I have to go.”

“No. It’s fine.” Amane looked up. “But can I ask for a favour?”

“Sure,” Momomi replied uncertainly. “What is it?”

Amane stood and brushed herself off. “Can I come with you?”

Momomi stared for a long moment. “What? Why?”

“Does that matter?”

Momomi gave her a very suspicious look, then shrugged and turned away. “Well, I can hardly say no, now can I?”

“Ah.” Amane followed her, leaving the horse’s paddock and heading towards the main building.

Momomi lead the way, feeling uneasy. What are you thinking, Amane Ohtori? Just who are you, and what do you want in return for this devil’s pact? She snorted. That’s poetry. But more pertinently, what the hell are you going to tell Kaname?

Onwards to Part 57


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction