Astraea Lake (part 25 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 24 Untitled Document

Just for the record, I've got nothing against people who hold Momomi's parents' opinions, but Momomi does. No, wait. I do have a problem with them, but I don't suppose that will be an issue with anyone reading this fic.


Kaname sighed. She hated to play at polite member of society, it didn’t suit her at all. But if it was for Momomi, she’d force herself. Besides, she could begin an important part of their planning. It was based on one of the oldest military axioms there was; the principle of divide and conquer. “So, you’re Momomi’s sister,” she began, falling into step with the older girl. “I’ve heard a lot about you.”

“Mostly good, I hope,” Luigia said with a smile. “You’re her roommate, you said? I hope you get on well.”

“We argue a lot, but we’re still good friends,” Kaname said, slightly awkwardly. I’m not good at this sincerity thing. “I’m glad for the company she offers, for a start. During my first year, I was the odd one out, and that made the evenings a little dull.”

“I can imagine,” Luigia remarked. “But isn’t a little cramped, sharing a room that small with someone?”

“Is it?” Kaname frowned. “Well, it is, but you know, you get used to it.”

“I suppose so. It looks a little uncomfortable for me, though.” Luigia looked thoughtful. “And not having any servants, too, that must be troublesome for you.”

“Oh, I know.” Kaname felt slightly light-headed. “Absolutely. But like I said, you get used to it. They have things strange in Miator, though, because they have the underclassmen act as room temps, which is to say servants, for the upperclassmen, and of course they don’t get paid.”

“Really? How bizarre… I recall something like that in one of her early letters, actually.” Luigia sighed. “How’s she been getting on? She wrote less after a while, so I’ve been worrying.”

What am I going to say? The truth? Like hell…“She’s been doing just fine. She’s one of the smartest students in the year, after all…” True enough.

“And she’s been happy, I hope? I’d hate it if she bullied or lonely, but it must be difficult, to transfer to a new school in the middle of term.”

Kaname frowned slightly. Annoyingly smart girl. “She’s been getting on just fine. I’ve been here to help her, after all.”

Luigia smiled. “I’m sure.”

“Of course, she’s a great help to me as well,” Kaname noted. “I’ve never been very good at… how would she put it… looking after myself. So having her around to help me with my necktie and so on is good.”

“Really?”

“Well, yes. It’s very helpful of her. And if anyone threatens her, I’ll clobber them.” Kaname scowled. “Not that that ever happens, of course. But if it did, then I’d definitely protect her and retaliate in kind.”

“Of course,” Luigia replied, giggling softly. That was something she seemed to have in common with her little sister. “But I was just thinking how I always had to sort out Momomi’s appearances when she was at home. She was particularly bad with formalwear, I remember.”

Kaname glanced at her in surprise. “Really?”

“Really… she never did like clothes like that, so she was often careless. I had to sort her out every time.”

“Now that’s surprising. I guess that puts me in my place on the chain of getting dressed.”

“Well, it’s not like she didn’t know the right way to go about things,” Luigia said. “She just never took any real interest in it. I’m glad, though. I always enjoyed doing that, but I was never sure whether she found it a bother or not. If she’s doing the same thing to you, she must have found it tolerable.”

“Well, I can’t say I resent it, exactly. If only because it means I have to do less work myself, so I suppose I’m exploiting her.”

Luigia laughed. “I never thought of it that way, but now I’m all disillusioned.”

Kaname nodded absently. She’s pleasant enough, I suppose. But I can’t say I enjoy the mental image of her fussing with Momomi. And that’s ridiculous. She’s Momomi’s sister, for God’s sake! Perhaps I liked the idea of being fussed over as a unique thing, but that’s just naivety, I shouldn’t be too worried…

“But if Momomi’s dressing properly herself, and more than that, helping you dress, she must like this place,” Luigia said. “Not if I compare it to her lethargy back then. You must have been a positive influence.”

“Hmm…” Kaname shrugged, strangely disarmed by this girl. “I wouldn’t say that, really.”

“But I hope she doesn’t get bullied or anything like that. I wouldn’t like to hear that.”

“Of course not,” Kaname said. “Nothing like that would happen… but even if it did, it’s not like she’d give a damn. She’s so independent-minded that it all bounces off, if there’s anything.” She listened to herself for a moment. “Well, I suppose I’m not telling you anything.”

“Not really, no, but it’s nice to hear another person say it. She has always been that way, so I don’t worry too much. And if she was hypothetically bullied, you’d protect her, yes?”

Kaname nodded. “I’d sooner see me hurt than her. If only because I actually have some upper body strength and combat training. She has the frame, weight and strength of the more nebulous kind of cloud. In the same way, though, throwing punches at her really is as futile as punching cloud. She doesn’t care about that stuff.”

Luigia nodded. “You know a lot about her.”

“Well, so do you.”

“I am her sister... my, these grounds really are huge.” Luigia looked around, seemingly impressed. “Even if there are no servants, you have sufficient room, at least.”

“If you want peace and quiet, you can find it,” Kaname agreed. “Suits me just fine.”

“And suits Momomi just fine?”

“Of course. I used to think it was a waste of space, myself, but I’ve gotten used to it. I suppose you could say that she converted me.”

“Having such a large forest is unusual… well, I suppose it’s an interesting feature. The hilltop location is nice as well.”

Kaname forced back a sigh, turning it into a conscientious nod. “There’s spectacular views to be had. Especially from the swimming pool and the clock tower.”

“That’s always good. But tell me, you say you have combat training?”

“Well, I’m third Kyu in karate,” Kaname said. “Ah… that’s to say, three from black belt. I dropped it before I got any further than that, but I still remember a lot. Right now I’m doing kendo, and I’ve had more generalised training as well.”

“You certainly have a very unusual hobby.”

“Well, I’ve always thought it’s more useful than, I don’t know, horse . Or, well, tea ceremony, at least with horse riding you can get places fast. Plus it teaches inner peace and stuff. Karate, not horse riding.”

Luigia laughed again. “So they say. You’re quite an interesting person, Kenjou-san.”

Kaname gritted her teeth and remembered Momomi. “Please, call me Kaname,” she said, with a half-attempt at sincere smile.

Luigia smiled. “Very well, Kaname-san.”

Okay, that’s something. Now, how to take advantage of this? If we’re even moderately getting on, I should strike…

“Do you mind if I ask a personal question, Kaname-san?”

Damn. “Shoot.”

“How much do you like Momomi?”

Kaname just stared. “Huh? In what sense? I hope you’re not saying anything-”

“What I mean to say,” Luigia said, waving her hands distractedly, “is to ask you how strong your friendship is with her. Because she might be leaving this school.”

“I know.” Kaname sighed. “What do you want? My honest answer?”

“Please.”

“Momomi is the only person in this school I give a damn about. She is my best friend and my only friend, the only person who can make me give a damn about this place at all. I don’t know quite why, because she’s soft, annoying and sarcastic, but I like her company.” Kaname folded her arms. “So if you want to take her away, I’m going to oppose that. I won’t mince my words and make it easy for you.”

Luigia laughed again, turning away in embarrassment. “You’re very frank, Kaname-san. It’s a good characteristic. But you’re right, I suppose.”

“Hmm?”

“That’s to say, I like my sister as well, and I’ve missed her company terribly,” Luigia said. “It feels wrong that our family should be so apart, and when my father said that he’d be taking her back I was glad because we could finally be together again.”

“You will always be there for her,” Kaname said. “If you’re a half-decent family, you will always be waiting for her to come back. But from what she’s told me, she doesn’t make friends easily, and friends don’t have that connection. She needs them as well.”

“You’re right, of course. I suppose I hoped that if she had no important ties, it would be painless for her.” Luigia looked at the ground. “But when she did write, you always featured heavily in her letters, Kaname-san. As you said, this isn’t an easy situation for us.”

“Well, I don’t intend to preach, but surely her opinion is the most important one,” Kaname noted. “And she wants to stay.”

“I know. I find that a little saddening… so I guess it’s good, in a way, that you’re here. It would be even worse if she would avoid coming home without having anything to stay for.”

How very sincere…is this really Momomi’s sister? “So, what are you going to do?”

“What I want is for her to come back.” Luigia looked up at her eyes. “But that’s the selfishness in me speaking, like the selfishness in you says that she should stay, even if we both come up with better reasons than our own feelings. Personally, I’d accept her will, though, because she should be happy. That’s important to me.”

“So you’d sacrifice your own feelings for hers?”

Luigia smiled. “That’s such a dramatic way of putting it.”

“I was just comparing it to someone else I know, that’s all,” Kaname said. “That person said that you should always fight for your feelings, even if the loved one’s heart is elsewhere.”

“That’s an interesting perspective. Isn’t that attitude a bit selfish, though?”

“Well, she said your way is stupid self-sacrifice, more or less.” Kaname shrugged. “To be fair, you’re talking about sisterly love, while she’s talking about romantic love, so they’re not directly comparable.”

Luigia nodded. “And what does Kaname-san think?”

“About which one?”

“Either.”

“Well, I suppose I’ll have to disappoint you. I’d agree with her attitude, I suppose.”

“You appear to have me at a disadvantage, with that conviction,” Luigia said good-naturedly.

“Well, remember, you have an advantage as well. I may not be her friend forever, but you’ll always be her sister.”

Kaname looked up at Momomi as they walked through the doors, deep in conversation with her parents. Well, strictly speaking, her mother. Her father was present but had the general attitude and attentiveness of a meat-eater walking through a museum of vegetarianism. He didn’t consider his surroundings relevant to his life in any real way. “What are you going to do?”

“About this?” Luigia asked.

“Shall I be honest again? Momomi wants to stay. Your father wants her to go. If she can’t persuade her, he’ll force her.”

“My, you’re very ruthless, Kaname-san,” Luigia joked. “Not only have you forced my surrender, you’re now conscripting me to fight for the other side.”

“I can’t force you to do anything,” Kaname said. “Which is more than we can say for her father. I just want it to be Momomi’s choice.”

“You want Momomi to chose you.”

“Well, that’s true enough, but it misses the point. She’s chosen me, if you like those terms.” Kaname glanced at the older girl. “I’d like that choice to be respected.”

“You take a very forceful attitude.”

“I’ve never been good at sneaking round a subject, so I tend to just charge ahead.” Kaname’s eyes didn’t waver. “If you’re sincere when you say that her feelings are the most important thing, then you can’t just sit by. That’s tacitly condoning the will her father exerts. If you’re being honest, you’ll still have to fight, but I’m not your opponent.”

“Well, I’m glad that Momomi has such a strong and important friend, and I suppose you’re right. You should be glad she has such a patient and saint-like sister.” Luigia smiled wanly then lowered her voice slightly. “But I’m not sure what I can do, even if I try to help. Father doesn’t take much heed of my words.”

“So I’ve gathered. I just want your support, that’s all.” Kaname swept the library with moody eyes. “Perhaps I am being selfish, but I think honesty is better than lying about my feelings. I want her to stay.”

“You’re very strong, Kaname-san. I can see why Momomi admires you.” Luigia chuckled. “Of course, she doesn’t lack strength herself, but force of character and conviction isn’t enough to secure anything, sadly, though I wish it was. I may not be able to help you at all.”

“I know. But I’m not a heartless bastard, either, you know.” Kaname laughed. “Well, perhaps I am. But Momomi isn’t. She’ll definitely be glad that you’re behind her.”

Momomi herself was having a harder time. “Well, this is the library. It’s pretty big, as you can see, bigger than the one at home. It’s also entirely run by students, under the loose supervision of a Sister. That’s typical of Astraea, as I’ve shown you before, the students really do run everything around here.”

“That’s slightly bizarre, isn’t it? Very anarchistic,” her father said curtly.

“Now, dear,” Yukaho began. “It’s very good for-”

“That’s all it is, though. You can’t organise important aspects of the school by entrusting them to teenagers.”

Momomi smiled bitterly. You may be his Serané, mother, but he sure as hell isn’t your Kariya. “Actually, you’d be accurate if we were normal teenagers,” she said, putting on her best snobbish tone. “But we’re not, we’re aristocrats all, so leadership’s a natural enough thing for us.”

“Hn. That doesn’t give you the mental maturity to deal with things like this.”

“You know, I’d argue the reverse,” Momomi said. “Because we have to do things like this, we’re forced to become more mature. That way we can fulfil the roles we’re given. Besides, isn’t it better to start and make mistakes now than come virginally into the duty of running a family without any prior experience of responsibility?”

Rodrigo chuckled. “Well, that isn’t one of your worries, girl. But I take your point. Better than making mistakes with money or important things… though going to this school might be a mistake with money in itself. It’s not cheap.”

“Tutors are more expensive,” Momomi said instantly. “And I’ve told you, I can pay my own way here if you’ll just give me until the end of the year.”

“I was talking about the whole institution. But it’s still not relevant, considering you’re coming back home anyway.”

Momomi opened her mouth to argue, then remembered Kaname’s advice. “As you say,” she said diplomatically.

“Hn.”

“In any case, it’s very nice to be back here again,” Yukaho said, looking around. “I used to spend a lot of time in this library. There’s some very fascinating books here.”

Rodrigo grunted. “I should think that would go for any library.”

“Well, of course, but here especially, because it has many rare ones. It has one of the largest collections of any such school in Japan. Isn’t that right, Momomi?”

“Ahh… of course. It makes for excellent reference material. Especially History.” I only actually read the romances, of course, but I suppose mother should know.

“History, that’s another thing,” Rodrigo grunted. “I dread to think what you learn around here. Japanese taught as Italian, Italian not taught at all and nothing to study but Japanese history. It’s leaving you with a very skewed education.”

Momomi resisted the urge to quip that he could do with studying Japanese a whole lot more. Probably not the right note to strike. “Well, our education here is very broad,” Momomi said. “This is a very international school, so we study very widely. For instance, our last major topic in History was the Napoleonic Wars.”

“Hmm. That’s fine as far as it goes, but I dislike foreign bias in education. You won’t get a balanced picture that way.”

If it was Kaname, I’d simply say it. The only one being biased here is you. Instead I have to internalise and internalise and internalise, and it’s driving me mad. It always does when I’m around him, and in the end I can’t contain it and I burst out…

“The teachers here have always been even-handed,” Yukaho said. “After all, Diralna-san is here along with our Momomi and students from every country of the world. Under those circumstances-”

“That would be helpful if any of those students actually knew anything about history,” Rodrigo interrupted. “As it they’re just having their heads filled with oriental nonsense at their most vulnerable phase. I’ve never been keen on foreign education.”

Yukaho winced visibly. “Well, it’s not nonsense, because-”

“At least it’s an education,” Momomi snapped. “And a more balanced one than tutors, at that. I’m willing to bet you don’t know anything about Japanese history.”

“Don’t be impertinent!”

“I thought so,” Momomi retorted. Then she bit her lip. “Sorry.”

He glared at her. “Just remember your place.”

Momomi just sighed, her mind drifting off as her mother strove bravely to fill the silence. It looks like I’ve got a long to go. Just what can I do to change this obnoxious, stubborn, pigheaded, impatient stupid idiot’s mind? She frowned thoughtfully. In other words, this is what it must be like to have Kaname as an opponent, too. As it was, she was stuck like that for the rest of the morning. Her mother kept up a vague stream of chatter and supported her weakly, only to melt away whenever resistance arose. Kaname and Luigia stayed a few steps behind, talking from time to time, silent at others, but apparently comfortable. And her father, of course, found fault with every single aspect of the school, which was infuriating. I wouldn’t mind so much if it was decent arguments he was coming up with, but it’s just uninformed nonsense that I demolish every time! The problem is that I’m not gaining ground, even if I do that. He’s come here with his mind made up and his prejudices secure, and it’s impossible for me to affect him because he isn’t actually listening, and he isn’t interested in discussion. I used to think that Kaname was my enemy, but she always at least had the decency to know what I was saying. My father just doesn’t care, and that’s what really makes an enemy. Momomi frowned at her own thought. So, in other words, he doesn’t acknowledge my existence. Like Olesa and I, or Kaname and Amane. It’s actually a lot more infuriating when you’re the one experiencing it. I’ll admit that much.

Of course, she was practised by now, and could think like that while keeping up her own stream of banal chatter. “And this is the canteen, as you can see. It provides breakfast, snacks in breaktime, lunches and dinner. The food here’s in every kind of style, Japanese, Chinese, European, American… it’s really very varied. As I’ve been stressing, it’s an international school.”

“You sound like a tour guide,” Rodrigo said.

“Well, of course. I’m trying to educate, after all.” Momomi looked around and bit her lip.

“Oi! Kaname, Momomi! Over here!”

“Good morning, Momomi-chan.”

Momomi sighed as they expected two walked in. Not exactly the best greeting ever. Amiki’s reading from the wrong script and Olesa knows the words but she sure as hell can’t act. “Hi, you two! I was just showing my family around.”

Olesa stepped forwards and smiled. “The Phareli, I presume?” she said softly. But there was something different in the tone. Where she normally spoke in a quiet, clipped tone her words were a little gentler now, as if genuinely kind, not robotic. “I am Olesa Perez, and I’m pleased to make your acquaintance. I’ve heard much about you from Momomi-chan.” She bowed deeply.

“Amiki Rivera,” her servant said, imitating the gesture. “Pleased to meet you.”

Momomi ran through the introductions again, annoyed at the necessary repetition. The two women bowed back while Rodrigo merely nodded. “Perez-san… I’ve heard that name somewhere before…”

Yukaho, predictably, looked like a vampire had visited her last night and taken a generous portion of her blood. A particularly telling metaphor, really, considering how my father drains her and uses her.

“We’re a European family, like you,” Olesa said, managing a smile. “No doubt we’ve met before in different circumstances.”

“I see.”

Momomi sighed and thanked the gods for her father’s stupidity. Olesa, on the other hand, looked like someone had made her swallow razor blades, but kept up a somewhat strained smile. Okay, now I can sympathise. My father’s a bastard.

“Shall we sit down?” Olesa suggested. “I imagine you’re all tired after a morning of walking around, and the food here really is excellent.”

Okay, you’re freaking me out now. What have you done with the walking computer? A glance told her that Amiki was wondering the same thing, or perhaps knowing but not enjoying the development. “That’s a good idea,” Momomi said. “Shall we?”

Rodrigo nodded. “Very well. Now, where’s that blasted cousin of mine?”

“Hopefully he’s getting on very well with Diralna-san,” Yukaho said consolingly, taking her seat. “You shouldn’t worry, my dear. Araldo is mature enough to handle these things himself.”

Momomi sat as well, noticing how they were given strange looks and a wide berth. It’s hilarious, but adults, family, are a very strange and not entirely welcome intrusion into the sheltered world of Astraea. Even if I didn’t know that already, I’d be able to see that now. Well, my father is a bit scary. She gave the room a second glance. Hopefully no one is sizing up my sister in that way… that would be difficult to explain away. “Shall we get food?”

“I’ll go,” Kaname offered.

“Me too,” Amiki said, not to be outdone.

“I’ll go as well,” Yukaho said. “It’s been a while since I was here.”

Olesa shook her head. “You shouldn’t. You’re our guests, after all. I’ll go if the two are unable to manage.”

“No, it’s no bother. It would be a favour to me.” Yukaho stood, glancing at her husband. “Is there anything in particular you want, dear?”

“Nothing offhand. Get what you like.”

“Very well. No, stay seated, Perez-san. I insist.”

I insist on catching a potential bullet for you all Momomi thought mentally. Damn her and her damn martyr complex. Don’t take responsibility for everyone around you!

And of course, there goes the three best conversationalists too. There were a few moment of silence before Olesa spoke. “I hear that you’re considering a possible marriage between your nephew and the Etoile Diralna, when they come of age,” she said. “Is that true?”

“You’re remarkably well-informed,” Rodrigo said.

“I know someone who’s always well-informed, and she told me. You shouldn’t credit me for it, I’m afraid.”

“Well, it is something I’m considering. We haven’t got any further than that, though.”

“Etoile Diralna-sama is the first and only child of the Diralna family, though,” Olesa noted. “She will inherit everything. Forgive me for my impudence, but surely it is an uneven match to pair her with a nephew who is not the heir, and a male no less?”

Damn. Why didn’t I think of that?

“That matter of the Phareli heir is not a settled one,” Rodrigo said. “This arrangement was made with that understanding in mind.”

Momomi shot her sister an alarmed look, but Luigia just shrugged back, as if to say worry about yourself.

“I understand. So, if this marriage goes through, Araldo Phareli-san will become heir? Is that the principle?”

“Nothing is set in stone,” Rodrigo said, frowning. “I do not like gossiping about such things.”

“Forgive me,” Olesa said. “It was merely a matter of interest to me, but I said too much. After all, marriage in this age can mean very much or very little, no?”

Rodrigo nodded. “I can assure you that for my part I will not compromise. My children will be married to those of equal status.”

“That’s a fascinating attitude of yours,” Olesa replied.

Momomi decided to break in before Olesa flipped and went for one of the knives within easy reach. “Do we have to talk about such things, you two? It’s a matter between Araldo and Serané-sama, isn’t it?”

“For now, at least,” Rodrigo agreed. “I’ll meet with her later.”

Momomi broke and decided to do the Etoiles a favour. If nothing else, it’ll make a change from watching my personal debts to those devils pile up. “Though, if I can contradict my own words… are you sure about her, father?”

“How so?”

“Well, Serané-sama is beautiful, charming and from good family…” Momomi said, building up, “but she’s… how would I say this… very light-hearted. Kariya-sama has always handled the serious business of being Etoiles, while Serané-sama is more of a… mascot figure.”

Olesa looked surprised for a quarter of a second then recovered, nodding.

“You mean to say that she’s not graced with exceptional intelligence,” Rodrigo said.

“Well, I wouldn’t phrase it in those terms-”

“But that’s what you mean. It’s unusual for you to take an interest in such things.”

Momomi frowned, choosing her words carefully. “The wife of my cousin is an important matter for the Phareli. It is natural I should take some interest in it.”

“Well, that’s all to the good, though you should learn to trust my judgement.” Rodrigo leaned back. “But truthfully, a mascot is all we need. The less intelligent she is, the more power Araldo will have to manage business matters freely.”

Momomi scowled despite herself, before recovering. “Well, that makes sense as far as it goes… but it would backfire if Serané-sama was to be too… controversial. That could damage the reputation of our family.”

“I can hardly see what damage one girl can do.”

“Momomi-chan is referring very delicately to a manner that does not bear discussion.” Olesa drew herself up slightly. “That’s to say, her romantic… interests.”

Rodrigo frowned, leaning forwards. “How so?”

“Father…” Momomi said, doing her best to look half-coy, half shocked. “It’s as Olesa said, we don’t talk about that.”

“Well, isn’t it important that I know?”

“Not right now. Not in public.”

It’s obnoxious that this is all he’s interested in…

“What are you babbling about now?” Kaname demanded, sitting down and passing Momomi a tuna sandwich.

“Very funny.”

“Ooh, scary. Innocent mistake. Here.” Kaname swapped their sandwiches, handing her friend her favourite cucumber ones.

“Thanks. Strange girl.”

Amiki had sat as well, passing Olesa her salmon sandwiches without comment. Rodrigo, for his part, scowled at the food Yukaho had brought. “Why would I want sandwiches? I’ve come all this way, woman, mightn’t I try something that I can’t get every day of the year?”

“I just thought you might want something familiar,” Yukaho replied quietly.

“Well, you thought wrong.”

“In any case, I asked before… what’s this that can’t be talked about in public?”

“Well, we can’t talk about it in public,” Momomi said pointedly. She broke when it became plain that her father wouldn’t talk and Kaname wouldn’t give up. “We were talking about Serané-sama’s somewhat… unusual romantic interests.”

“Oh, you mean the gay thing?” Kaname snorted. “Well, that’s something everyone knows already.”

Momomi just put her head in her hands.

Olesa managed to say “Kenjou-san! Do you have to be so… vulgar?”

“Eh? I mean, you two-”

Kaname stopped talking when Momomi kicked her on the shin. She looked at her parents carefully. Yukaho had her polite horror face on while Rodrigo looked dark. “You see, it isn’t something we talk about in public.”

“I didn’t hear anything about this,” her father said.

“Well, I imagine the Diralna don’t exactly advertise such things, but it’s something known to those around her.”

Rodrigo sighed, thinking. “Well, deviant behaviour does occasionally occur even in the best of families…”

Momomi tried not to scowl at that. I must admit, I feel dirty, having to act like this. A girl who likes girls pretending that she’s embarrassed and ashamed of girls that likes girls…it’s cowardly and debasing on such a fundamental level, to have to go through this pantomime. But what choice do I have? I have to rely on my father, at least for now. She remembered Serané. Is it possible to reconcile family with your real identity? Or can it only ever be one or the other? I’d hate to have to keep up a farce with them all my life.

“I have heard rumours about this, but I chose not to credit them,” Yukaho said. “The poor, confused girl… I hope you don’t think too badly of her, Rodrigo, it’s not something that can be helped.”

“It’s this atmosphere,” Rodrigo growled. “An all-girl’s school so far from anywhere else in the world. This isn’t a good place for you to be, Momomi.”

Must resist temptation to scream. I’m gay, already! I’d be gay whether I came here or not! But she managed a smile. “I don’t think something so simple could impact on me either way, father.”

“In any case, it’s fine.”

Momomi blinked. “Eh? It is?”

“It shouldn’t be a problem. Araldo just has to marry her, after all.”

“You’re being heartless, dear,” Yukaho said. “You should think of their happiness, as well.”

“You said it yourself, it can’t be helped,” Rodrigo said. “It shouldn’t interfere too much.”

Momomi shrugged. “Well, I’d be worried about our reputation. Serané-sama is a darling girl, but she isn’t very discreet… if she was to… act on…” She fell silent. I can’t say this. I just can’t. Even if I say I’m a master manipulator, even I have limits. This is one of them.

“It isn’t my business, but I do understand her concern,” Olesa said, looking at the table in apparent embarrassment. “As we said, everyone knows about her as she is. And not just to know… it would be one thing if she kept it under control, but she-” She didn’t get any further, out of disgust with herself in turn or for effect, Momomi wasn’t sure.

“With who?” Rodrigo asked dangerously.

“With Kariya-sama,” Kaname said, apparently fed up with the charade. “And her alone, mind, don’t go screaming about unnatural promiscuity. They’re a couple and the whole school knows it.”

“Oh, dear,” Yukaho said quietly. “And they seemed such nice girls, too.”

“They are nice girls, they’re just gay with each other,” Kaname snapped, folding her arms. “Get over it. It’s not like they flaunt it or anything, quite the reverse.”

“But it’s not just something that will go away if you ignore it, either,” Amiki added.

Yukaho sighed. “You’re very blunt, Kenjou-san.”

“That’s just how it is, like it or not. I might as well say it.”

“It’s not your business,” Rodrigo said warningly.

“Oh, isn’t it?” Kaname said, ignoring another kick. “But I’m just one of the many who can watch and see it when the wife of a Phareli is committing adultery with another woman. That wouldn’t say much for the quality of Phareli manhood.”

“Who, you-”

“Don’t, dear,” Yukaho said. “She’s just being honest.”

Rodrigo scowled. “Hn. There are better ways to say these things… but I can understand her logic. I’ll think about it. But I’m amazed that this kind of behaviour is permitted in a religious school.”

The bell rang, loud and with a piercing clarity. “I’d better go to my lessons,” Momomi said brightly, standing and throwing her bag over her shoulder. “I’ll see you all later.” She left at a fast walk, sandwiches in hand. But I don’t think I’ll be able to eat them. I feel sick.

Onwards to Part 26


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction