All With Good Intentions (part 6 of 11)

a Mai HiME fanfiction by Kieli

Back to Part 5 AFTERMATH – SIDE ONE

Rays of midday sunlight reflected off the slick surface of the modern style desk that was placed strategically in front of a large sliding glass window. Downtown Kyoto glittered and bustled with activity several floors below. Shizuru gazed out the window with her back to the oaken double doors of her office, seeming to admire the view. However, her mind was racing to formulate plans within plans, preparing herself for the daunting tasks that lay ahead.

The memory of last night’s spontaneous visit from Natsuki brought a slight flush to her cheeks. It had felt like old times; the witty banter, the dares, the eventual sleepover. She had awakened early, as was her habit, and allowed herself the luxury of peeping at the soundly sleeping Natsuki. It was one of those moments that brought her immense joy as well as guilt. She could admire Natsuki however she wanted, with whatever she felt and there was nothing to take that away from her except Natsuki's consciousness.

The telephone on her desk bleeped and she pressed one of the glowing buttons on the console.

“Yes, Eriko-san?”

“Mr. Nakuhara is here to see you, kaichou-sama.” Shizuru tensed slightly at the honorific; it felt so strange to have that title outside of the grounds of Fuuka Gakuen.

“Send him in please.”

So much to do, so little time to do it, she contemplated. The door behind her opened and Shizuru turned to face her guest. Nakuhara Kobe was a tall, middle-aged man, whose imposing, dark eyes shone like onyx in the dim light of the office. He was the Director of Security Operations for Fujino Industries and was often thought to have used unorthodox methods to help the family company retain its position at the pinnacle of Japan’s economic domain. It was also rumoured that he often served as the personal bodyguard of the Fujino family on occasion. To be sure, Nakuhara was fanatically loyal to them and seemed to have an especial soft spot for Shizuru.

Gokigenyou, Nakuhara-san,” she said with a polite nod.

Nakuhara bowed in response. “Gokigenyou, ojou-sama.”

“Have you completed your task?”

“Yes. All traces of the Fujino family’s dealings with the First District have been cleansed from the records once and for all,” he answered, his deep voice rumbling from deep within his chest.

Shizuru’s eyes narrowed at the mention of Natsuki’s former nemesis. “And what of the funds we received from their illicit dealings?”

“They were quietly disposed of by channeling them through various charities within, and outside of, Japan.”

Shizuru closed her eyes, pushed herself away from her desk and turned to look out the window. “I had thought by destroying them myself, that I had erased the shame of dealing with so vile an organization. I had no idea how deep the First District had buried their claws within our family.”

“I trained you to trust your instincts,” the security director replied. “Their fall from power was due to in-fighting between various factions within First District. Once divided, they were more of a liability to us than an asset. We could not have foreseen how detrimental their association would be to us. ”

“Even so, I still feel responsible for not catching this sooner.” Nakuhara remained silent, knowing that there wasn’t anything he could say to assuage his employer’s guilty conscience. She turned to face him in time to see a flash of sympathy in his eyes. “Anshin shi, old friend. I’ll be fine. On another note, how is father faring?”

“Not well, ojou-sama.” The tall man crossed the room to stand beside Shizuru, his gravelly voice filled with concern. “The doctors say that he won’t last much longer.”

A stab of sadness pierced Shizuru’s chest at the possibility of losing her father. “Why must everyone I love abandon me?” she thought helplessly. Thoughts of Natsuki insinuated themselves into her mind, throwing her emotions into chaos. She tried to focus on the plans that needed to be made, all of the tasks that needed to be done but found she was losing that battle.

“Thank you, Nakuhara-san. Would you please be so kind as to tell the Board I will be a few minutes late? I have something to take care of.”

Catching the note of dismissal in her voice, Nakuhara bowed and left the room in silence. Shizuru threw herself back into her chair after hearing the faint click of the door closing. “If he only knew,” she mused. “My guilt runs deeper than any river. Not only must I bear the shame of First District but also the secrets I’ve kept from Natsuki, as well.” Her heart ached at the possibility that Natsuki might reject her really and truly if she knew the truth, that the Fujino family had funded First District’s research facility for a number of years unbeknownst to Shizuru. Hot tears of frustration streamed down her face. So close…we are so close to the friendship we used to have, to things returning to normal. But she has to know. No more secrets.

The phone on her desk buzzed insistently. “Kaichou-sama, Kuga-san has arrived safely at Fuuka Gakuen,” her secretary announced then rang off. A relieved smile crossed Shizuru’s face at the announcement. She doubted that she would ever stop being concerned for Natsuki’s safety. Another task lay before her, one that she didn’t relish completing, but she had no choice. Events were unfolding faster than she had anticipated; soon she would officially assume the mantle as head of the Fujino family business syndicate. Her life would no longer be her own. With a resigned sigh, Shizuru removed a slim Motorola flip phone from the pocket of her tailored business suit jacket, hit speed dial and waited for a response.

“Natsuki?...no, no, I’m all right. I just wanted to check on you…” Shizuru’s rich laugh suddenly filled the room as one of Natsuki’s comments caught her unawares. “I’m sorry, I should have warned you that Touro can be a little…brusque…no, class is the same, boring as ever…we’ll talk again soon, I promise. Yes, you too. Goodbye.” She closed the phone with an audible snap. There was so much Shizuru had wanted to say but her words dried up and blew away like autumn leaves. A sharp pang of loneliness for Natsuki nearly cleaved open her chest, so strong was the ache. Her hands trembled as she laid them on her desk for leverage to stand. Gentle remonstrations filled her mind, telling her that now was not the time to fall apart; so many people were depending on her. She took one last look at the picture on her desk of her and Natsuki in happier times, straightened her skirt and strode purposefully out of the office.

Onwards to Part 7


Back to All With Good Intentions Index - Back to Mai HiME Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction