Valiant Hearts II (part 8 of 25)

a Kingdom Hearts fanfiction by Yuritale

Back to Part 7

What I can do

“You're not bad, and although I can't comment on your sword technique, I can see that you have great potential. But you still lack power. And accuracy. And speed. And-” Tifa was cut off.

“Yeah, I know it already, I know it. You've been telling me this for four days now,” Olette murmured and sat down on the ground.

Tifa had sent her through hell and worse, and she could barely move every evening. If Kairi had somehow endured this, she really was something else. On top of that, there was no significant improvement. Tifa kept her telling that results don't come over night, but this was definitely overdoing things. How strong could those Heartless things and the Organization possibly be?

Tifa's training consisted of four different lessons. First off, power training, second was stamina, third speed and reflexes, and last was a sparing against Tifa herself. Although she was not new to hard training, this was quite over the edge. The power training was just plain stupid. Olette had to undergo several hundred practice movements with her Keyblades, and they got really heavy after just a few moves. That alone brought her almost to her limits. The stamina training was even worse. But it was the only thing she improved almost daily, and that was the only thing that kept her going. Olette had to make an almost unlimited number of practice movements until Tifa was satisfied. The speed training on the other hand was not quite as hard. She was already quite fast, but not even close to Tifa's level. That particular training consisted of two different parts. One was just plain movement speed. She had to keep up to her best with Tifa while they ran a training course that went almost across the whole of Hollow Bastion. But even Tifa had her limits. The second part was defensive. Olette had to block super-speed hits from Tifa. It was crazy how fast that woman could move. She didn't hit her hard, but it was hard to sense from which direction she would strike next.

“We will skip the sparring part today. You improved quite a bit in just three days. You're faster, and I guess in a few more days, we will see the first results in power. You can feel the increase in Stamina yourself. You will make a great fighter one day. I think I need to start training again if I don't want to be surpassed by you,” Tifa laughed and stretched out a hand to Olette.

“You're just flattering me, aren't you?“ Olette murmured and took her hand regardless.

Even though the training was really hard, and most of her muscles were burning, it felt good to get praised like that. Tifa was not the best mentor, and she knew absolutely nothing about sword techniques. But when Olette had asked Kairi about that, she said that technique was something one had to figure out for themselves. Nevertheless, Olette really started to get along with Tifa.

“I'm going to check on Aerith,” Tifa said and left immediately.

Olette remembered a accident two days ago, when Naminè tried to cast a Firega and accidentally almost turned Tifa into roast beef.

“Don't get yourself burned,” she called out and walked over to a bench. De-materializing and summoning the Keyblades was not much work anymore. Once she figured out how it worked, it was more of a routine. Kairi was able to summon them on the blink of a eye, but she still needed to concentrate a moment.

Olette looked in the sky and wondered what she was doing. They still hadn't found a way to get her back to Twilight Town. The portal near the maw led into nothingness. The portal to her world had vanished without a trace. And the path was loaded with those black creatures. She had first refused to participate in this ridiculous exhausting training, but she had nothing else to do. When she would get back to Twilight Town, she would be stronger than anyone else there. Winning the struggle tournament she had left in the middle of it would be easy.

“Hayner... Pence...”

--Valiant Hearts--

Naminè didn't have a easier time than Olette. While Olette was everyday complaining about how her whole body was aching, Naminè was mentally so exhausted that she could barely concentrate on anything. Magical training was usually much theory, but Naminè had proven to be completely incapable of understanding the complex theory and Aerith had no choice but to teach her via learning-by-doing, which lead often to severe destruction of the surrounding things. That was the reason they were practicing near the maw.

It was much harder to master a spell than simply improve one's physical ability. Although she understood the basics, Naminè had only managed to cast the basic versions of Ice and Lightning, as well as Cure. Anything above that had proven to be significantly harder. Although Aerith was specialized in defensive magic, she tried to teach Naminè also the offensive branch.

“Try to close your eyes, concentrate on the force you can form with your mind, imagine the form the spell should take, and shape the magic energy into the form you desire. This time, try a Icera spell. Icera is the second level spell of the Ice branch, like the name implies. My Icera is a storm of ice crystals, but yours will most likely look different,” Aerith explained.

She had to protect herself with a Reflecga spell; although Naminè had no technique, her raw magical energy was many times greater than Kairi's. It wasn't close to what she was capable of, and it wasn't enough to even attempt summons, but it would suffice for the third class spells and in the future eventually above those.

Naminè concentrated and tried to imagine how the spell would take form. Shaping magical energy in one's own mind was a very tiring process and they were at it for hours. She had improved on the Cura spell as well as mastered the basic form of Reflect. But she had severe problems with anything that surpassed the level one grade.

Naminè could use Monochrome as magical amplifier, and it was also a bit easier to actually succeed in casting when she used it. Aerith didn't know how it worked, and even Kairi did casting magic entirely different from how Naminè did.

Kairi was not able to use recited spells, but Naminè was. It was a optional part to increase the power behind whatever magic one was casting.

“An eternity of waiting, forever stare, an infinity of time, frozen crystal!” Naminè called out and directed Monochrome towards a set of rocks.

First nothing seemed to happen and after Aerith wanted to tell her to try again, a cold wind gave her goosebumps. Around the rocks was slowly building a massive ice crystal, completely wrapping the rocks in them.

It was a impressive crystal. But that was hardly a usable spell in combat. And that was the sole purpose of this training.

“You're really improved. But I need to say that this won't do, dear. The crystal took so long to build up that every Heartless would have escaped by then. If you need any advice, I suggest a defensive version, close to what you just did. Instead of making it a crystal, try a wall, and directly in front of you, not further away. It would make a magnificent defense spell to block anything that's rushing straight at you,” Aerith said but was kind of proud. Kairi had taken a long time to get to the level she was at. Any further improvement was impossible for her. She had reached her limits.

Naminè had already a slight headache but gave the woman a nod.

The same procedure, but a different reciting.

“Prison of unbreakable cold, keep of snow, protect me!”

The reaction was devastating. In a circle of three foot around Naminè materialized a massive ice wall, completely surrounding and imprisoning her. Aerith had to smile as she saw Naminè's puzzled expression.

“People of the flames, dance!” Aerith recited and downright blasted one side of the ice wall with a fira spell.

Naminè smiled a bit embarrassed and walked over to where Aerith was standing.

“Can we stop for today? My head is hurting really bad,” Naminè asked.

At the same time, Tifa came by and didn't dare to come closer than about fifty foot. She still had the accident from the other day in bad memory. If her lover hadn't be so fast and protected her with a Reflecga spell, she would have suffered severe burns.

Aerith smiled at her and waved her over, signalizing that they were done for today.

“Sure dear. I think Olette and Kairi are quite exhausted too. Why don't you go and see them?”

Naminè was rubbing her forehead when she passed Tifa, who gave her a “Good work” and then captured Aerith for a kiss.

“You're acting like we just got together. What's the occasion?” Aerith teased but didn't make any effort to break free from Tifa.

“It's been a few days since Olette and Naminè arrived and they're already that used to living here. It's nice to have them in the house. Kairi is much more energetic than usual. Makes me happy. And you too, doesn't it?” Tifa replied and laid both arms around her lover's waist, drawing her even closer.

“You're right, but don't forget that at least Olette is still looking for a way home,” Aerith said and laid her hands on Tifa's neck.

“I feel somewhat bad about it, but when I see how Kairi is opening up to them, I don't feel like having one of them go back to their own world. And there is also the issue with the Heartless. And leave alone the Heartless, the Organization... did you cut your hair?” Tifa suddenly changed the topic and looked a bit closer at Aerith's face.

“That was Naminè,” Aerith said a bit embarrassed and tried to hide her sloppy cut hair.

“You're so cute when you get embarrassed, Aerith-pon,” Tifa said and started giggling.

“Don't call me that,” Aerith said, now even blushing.

It had been ages since Tifa called her that, and when she remembered when she did, it made her blush like a ripe tomato.

“How about I cook today? I'll make some curry,” Tifa changed the topic again.

Although Aerith loved Tifa's food, it was kind of inedible for the girls. And Tifa knew that.

“Kairi will complain again. And I guess Olette too,” Aerith smiled and leaned her forehead against Tifa's.

It really felt like their little family had just grown a bit. But that was only a temporary feeling of happiness. The Organization was still out there and the Heartless too.

“They'll bear with it. I'll make it a bit less spicy. I don't know what they have against my food, though. They're just spoiled by your cooking,” Tifa teased again.

“It's okay if you understand,” Aerith replied and gave her lover a deep kiss.

“Shall we go?” Tifa asked and knew the answer long before hand.

“Let's just stay like this for a while,” Aerith replied and the next kiss followed.

--Valiant Hearts--

“I feel like I want to die,” Olette moaned and laid on the couch in the living room. Naminè had been the first to be back, and therefore the first to get to shower. Though, Olette was sure that at least once the past few days, Naminè had offered Kairi to shower with her.

It made her blush every time when Kairi walked out of the shower wrapped in just a big towel. Naminè was cute too, but Olette was too busy with being annoyed at her constant flirting with Kairi. If she liked her, she should just say so! Olette would!

“I'm not tired enough if I am still thinking about stuff like that,” she continued to moan and closed her eyes and laid back.

Someone opened the door; it was most likely Tifa or Aerith. She was too tired to even say anything to them and just remained where she was, leaned on the back of the couch with closed eyes.

Where was Kairi? She hadn't seen her since this morning. Aerith and Tifa were busy with training Naminè and herself, but Kairi seemed to have her own training too. Either she did it by herself or one of the other people, maybe Leon, taught her.

Something was touching her legs, but Olette was too tired to be bothered by that. Not until something then tickled her nose, Olette simply refused to open her eyes, drowsing on the couch. But what she saw when she finally opened her eyes was simply beyond any explanation.

Kairi was leaned halfway over Olette, her hair hanging in Olette's face as she apparently tried to do something behind her. Olette had a prime view directly at Kairi's chest. She must have been doing some very tiring training, because she was basically soaked in sweat. It didn't bother Olette in the slightest. In just seconds, her face had taken a deeper red than ever.

“Wh-wh-what are you doing?” Olette stammered, trying not to stare too obviously at Kairi's chest.

That was hardly possible, because only inches separated the two girls.

“Oh, sorry. I thought you were sleeping and I tried to open a window. You looked so peaceful and cute that I tried to open it without waking you up,” Kairi explained and finally managed to open the window.

Fresh cold air streamed inside and the redhead sat down right next to Olette.

Cute? She looked what? It was almost as if Kairi was teasing her on purpose.

“Your whole face is red. Did you eat some of Tifa's lunch?” Kairi asked, completely out in the blue why Olette was blushing.

“Yeah. Yeah, I accidentally ate some of it. My whole face is burning from it,” Olette made up an excuse.

She still refused to believe that she was attracted to Kairi. The past few days had been full of situation like these, and Olette couldn't help herself but believe that she at least was a little bit interested in girls in general.

It was even weirder that Kairi obviously refused to react in any matter to Naminè's flirting. Either she was not interested and didn't want to hurt Naminè, or she was and was just shy. Olette was about to get a headache. This was just one of the many times since she had arrived at Hollow Bastion that she was thinking about stuff like that. It was none of her business.

“Naminè in the shower?” Kairi asked and seemed to be just as tired as Olette.

Olette just nodded and immediately saw a image of seconds before in her head. Everyone would have blushed in that situation. That was completely normal. And Kairi really was attractive. Not only had she a good figure but also her chest-

“I need a breath of fresh air,” Olette said and left the room.

“Did I say something wrong?” Kairi wondered and leaned back.

How long was Naminè already in the shower? Her clothes basically were like glued to her body. She wanted to change as soon as possible. Kairi was amazed that she could still move after that hell ride of training. Since Tifa was busy with Olette, she had to ask Leon. And he seemed to forget that Kairi didn't have physical power like Tifa. They had practiced over six hours, that since three days in a row now. Her technique had improved a bit, but she was still far away from being even close to being on par with Leon.

Kairi knew that Naminè liked her. It was rather obvious after all what happened. Just the day after they had started training, Naminè had offered to share the shower. Even Tifa and Aerith did that very seldom. And they were a really close couple. Kairi had no idea why Naminè was so fixated to her. Olette didn't seem to care at all, beside being a bit annoyed.

“What should I do... I don't really want to think about it...” Kairi sighed and leaned back.

She had never expected that this would happen. Sure, at some point the Heartless would be beaten, the Organization would by a thing of the past, and if she survived all that, she could look for some romance. But right now, Kairi wasn't even able to figure out what she liked or not.

“Ahhh, why must things be so complicated?” Kairi moaned and stand up.

Naminè wouldn't shower forever, and Olette didn't seem to come back. She would take the shower. But it was weird that Aerith and Tifa, although both of the girls were already here, were still out.

Kairi left for her room and could feel her muscles aching with every step on the stairs. She understood why she had to undergo some training, but this was ridiculous. Whatever Leon said, Kairi would take tomorrow off. Maybe she would go to the observation deck and just relax her tired body.

“Hi Kairi,” Naminè had just come out of the bathroom, wearing one of Kairi's shirts and a skirt.

She had little choice but to wear some of Kairi's clothes. Aerith however had promised that once they got some money, they would buy her some clothes.

“How was training?” Kairi asked casually and went in her room to grab a towel.

“Please don't ask me,” Naminè said and rubbed her forehead. The headache didn't go away after the shower. That was the big disadvantage with magic. The after effects of training took a while to wear off.

“I'm going to shower,” Kairi said and waited for Naminè to move out of the way.

“Do I look good in this?” Naminè asked and picked on the skirt. It was quite different from what she wore usually but it didn't look bad.

“I... think so. Why don't you ask Olette? If she is still taking a breath of fresh air, get her inside, she will get sick,” Kairi said and vanished in the bathroom.

It was almost as if she was escaping and avoiding Naminè. But what should she do? Refuse her? Just try and find out if she really liked girls? Both of those didn't seem like they would end well. For now, she decided to just try to postpone any decision.

Kairi undressed herself and went into the shower. The water felt like a nice blessing on her skin and her tense muscles. Naminè didn't look so well and for the energetic Olette to be that tired, they were all pretty worn out. Maybe it would them do good to skip together tomorrow.

Naminè would follow her anyway if she told her, but Olette didn't look like she was eager to go. She tried to avoid both of them together as much as possible.

The hot water cleared her mind a bit. She knew just too well that she was being indecisive with Naminè. But how could she not? She had appeared out of nowhere, behaving like that. If she indeed would go out with Naminè, leaving the matter of liking girls or not alone, what would Aerith and Tifa say? The others? Olette? They would know that Kairi was just pretending.

Her thoughts went empty at that time. It was no use thinking about it like that. Things had worked out for Aerith and Tifa, and hopefully they would also work out for her.

“I forgot to bring my shampoo. And Aerith will roast me if I use hers...” Kairi sighed.

And to make things worse, Tifa's shampoo was empty. Wrapping herself in her towel, Kairi unlocked the door and wanted to walk fast into her room and back, without being seen. The first thing she saw was Olette that was just passing by and looked quite surprised at a still wet Kairi.

“I forgot my shampoo. Can you get it for me? It's in my room, on the drawer next to the locker,” Kairi asked, and after Olette nodded, halfway unconscious, Kairi closed the door and waited impatiently for Olette to knock.

Olette was just too tired to be amazed anymore. Either Kairi did this all on purpose, and if so, that was the most subtle flirting she had ever seen, or it was a mere coincidence and heaven itself was playing a prank at her.

The shampoo was where Kairi said. Olette grabbed it and went back to the bath, knocking one time and talking to Kairi.

“I got your shampoo. I'll need a shower too, but you can take your time. Aerith came just back and told me that Tifa is cooking today,” Olette said, and remembered the food that Tifa cooked. She had cooked some downright inedible spicy rice after their first day of training.

The door opened a bit and Olette handed over the bottle.

“Yuffie is living alone, we can check by there later, she has always some food to share. That is, if we survive Tifa's food today,” Kairi said, grabbing the bottle and heading back into the shower.

Olette left for her room, where Naminè was laying on her bed, seemingly asleep and one hand laid on her forehead. Olette still couldn't get the image from earlier out of her head. What was worse, the more she tried to forget it, the more clearly she could see it.

Olette climbed on her bed, her body aching all over. When she remembered that she had to get up to take a shower, the shower didn't look so promising anymore.

“Olette, why do you get always mad when I'm close to Kairi?“ Naminè asked out of nowhere.

Hadn't she been asleep? Or did Olette wake her up? However, Olette didn't answer and tried to pretend to be asleep.

“I really like Kairi, but I want to get along with you too,” Naminè said further.

“Get along with me too, huh,” Olette whispered to herself and rolled over. That wasn't getting along, that was clearly having fallen for another girl. Naminè didn't seem to even understand that her affection for Kairi was clearly different from what she felt for everyone else she liked.

“Do you dislike Kairi or me?“

Olette couldn't answer.

Naminè went up and sat on the edge of her bed. Kairi was very special to her. She really liked Olette too, and Aerith and Tifa, but they were all different from Kairi. Then Kairi was her one special person. Naminè would follow her everywhere, no matter where to.

And although Naminè knew exactly that Olette was awake, if she refused to answer, there was no sense to talk to her for now. She always refused to answer when she asked her about Kairi.

Naminè left the room and with that Olette alone with her thoughts. The blond girl went downstairs and just got a glimpse of what appeared to be Tifa and Aerith throwing onions at each other while laughing.

“Look what you did! The kitchen looks like you detonated a Firega spell!” Tifa got out between laughing and evading the onions.

“And who started the whole misery?!” Aerith called back and also laughed.

“I don't even know anymore, but if we do this much further, we will be busy the whole evening with cleaning,” Tifa said and they immediately stopped. Although Aerith didn't mind cleaning, cleaning the kitchen was always the worst job of all.

“You seem to have fun,” Naminè said and giggled at the two grown women and sat down in the couch.

“We were testing the flight ability of the onions. They need to be light for my curry,” Tifa said and was blushing like a ripe tomato.

“Are Kairi and Olette done with showering?” Aerith asked, not less deep blushing.

“Hm, no. Kairi is still showering, Olette in our room,” Naminè said, making no effort to hide that she was rather amused by the previous scene.

“Naminè dear, can you do me a favor?” Aerith asked.

“Yes. But no more training, my head still hurts,” Naminè said.

“Don't worry. It won't be any mental exhausting. I will only have you to go over to Yuffie's place, to ask her for some tabasco. Ours somehow vanished, but I suspect Kairi on that,” Aerith said and couldn't refrain from smiling on the thought that Kairi often stole the tabasco to prevent Tifa from cooking.

“That's okay. I'll be right back,” Naminè said and left.

The room was silent for a moment. Something made the air tense, as if as thunderstorm inside was brewing.

“Don't you think that it's dangerous to leave things as they are? Kairi might be over strained by this. I'm sure Naminè has no idea what pressure she is putting on her,” Tifa said and went back to slicing the onions into small cubes.

“I'm sure Kairi will do the right thing. If we meddle into this, she will never get past this step,” Aerith replied.

“I hope you're right honey. I have a feeling that something bad is about to happen.”

“You start to sound like a certain someone.”

“If you now say I sound like Leon, you're going to sleep on the couch tonight, Aerith.”

--Valiant Hearts--

“Why have I to be like this?”

Olette was still laying on her bed, looking in the night sky.

It wasn't the best of all feelings to be like this. She was jealous of Naminè, simply because she was so carefree. She was supposed to be worried sick about her hometown, her friends, and yet, hadn't spend much thought at all the past two days.

“Just what the heck is wrong with me?” Olette swore and hid herself under the blanket.

--Valiant Hearts--

Kairi was almost afraid to leave the shower. What if Naminè was there? Every time she saw her, her naive and innocent face, it was as if that very face was demanding a response to her feelings. But Kairi couldn't. There was no telling when the Heartless would strike again. She had to get rid of these thoughts.

Maybe Kairi could ask Olette what she was supposed to do. She was supposed to have had a normal life so far. She would know.

Yes, that was a good idea. Still drying her hair, Kairi left the bathroom and headed over to the room that Naminè and Olette were using as bedroom. Knocking once at the door, something on the upper bed moved appalled, and seconds later, Olette was looking a bit disturbed from above at her.

“Uhm... the... shower is free” Kairi said and could have immediately banged her head against the door frame. “And... I need to talk to you,” she said, with a much more serious face.

What could Kairi want? Was it about earlier? Had she noticed after all that Olette had been staring at her chest, being halfway forced or not?

“What you wanna talk about?” Olette started and jumped down from her bed.

“I'll just come straight to the point. I'll end up just talking nonsense the other way,” Kairi sighed and took a very deep breath.

Olette was about to faint, so tense she was. What in hell's name was up with Kairi? She had not been looking so serious since she had formally reported to Leon what had happened at the mansion.

“What should I do about Naminè? It is so obvious that she likes me but...” Kairi turned around, almost as if looking out that Naminè was not around, “what should I do? I just can't agree to that and act like I like her out of the blue. But unless I tell her straight out that I can't, she won't understand, I guess. But how I am supposed to tell this girl that I can't respond to her feelings?” Kairi looked behind her again and walked over to the cupboard, taking a seat on it.

Olette could feel a with every second bigger getting lump in her throat. Why didn't Kairi ask Aerith or Tifa? Why her? Why? Just why her out of all people available? How was Olette supposed to answer that, struggling with her own problems like that. But she couldn't just remain silent. She had to say something. Something. Anything. Anything at all was okay. As long as she didn't make a even longer silent break as she already did.

“Are you surprised? You're so quiet, I thought you already noticed that-” Kairi was cut off.

“No, I know, I know. It's obvious. And I think you should just tell her that you can't like her now. For now, that is. You need time. Tell her you will start out as friends,” Olette said.

Just what in heaven's name was she blurting out? Had she gone completely retarded? “Start out as friends” the hell! Kairi would in the best case laugh at her and ask Aerith. In the worst, she would think really badly of her now. Why didn't she say something else? Anything would have been fine. But now it was out.

“I mean-” Olette started to try to clean up her mess.

“I think that might just work. But... I don't feel so good about it. Can you help me out and play along with this “be just friends” thing? Please? I would be much easier for me,” Kairi said and looked with those for help looking eyes at Olette, one cannot withstand.

“Sure. No problem. I'll be happy to be your friend,” Olette replied without even thinking once about her reply.

“You're really nice, thank you,” Kairi said, jumped from the cupboard, went past Olette out of the room and left a whisper of “That's really nice of you” in Olette's ear.

The heart of the brunette was jumping like a rubber ball in a glass bottle. How much worse could it possibly get?

“Yeah, I'll be happy to be your friend, my ass!!” Olette swore, kicked against the door frame, hurt her foot, grabbed her towel, went inside the bathroom and closed the door hard enough to make a sound echo through the whole house.

--Valiant Hearts--

Yuffie was searching through a mess that could, on a barely human standard, be called a former kitchen. The whole apartment looked like a couple chaos bombs had been blown up inside and no one was around to clean for about a eternity.

Naminè had somehow found a clean place to sit while Yuffie was searching for the tabasco she had put somewhere. According to her, it was only a matter of seconds to find it. A matter of about a few seconds that already took about ten minutes.

“So, how are things going?” Yuffie asked and threw something indescribable away.

“My head hurts the whole time.“ Naminè was remembering today's magic training with Aerith and holding her forehead. Her head was still aching.

“Yeah, she is sometimes a bit hard to understand,“ Yuffie said with a giggle.

“It is just really exhausting,“ Naminè replied.

“So, did you confess already?“ Yuffie asked but didn't stop rampaging through her apartment.

“What do you mean?“

Naminè was now a bit thrown off. What should she have confessed?

“Did you confess to Kairi?“ Yuffie said, now having stopped and looking at Naminè.

“What should I confess?” Naminè asked with a completely innocent smile.

“Oh, never mind then,” Yuffie said and got back to her never ending search for the tabasco.

Yuffie occasionally threw a few things across the room and finally found the tabasco in a drawer behind a pile of old dishes.

“Kairi is a bit... I dunno. I never really understood her. She had it really hard though. Never had much time to befriend anyone, all the time looking for a way to rescue her friends. You and Olette are the first ones to have that sort of relationship with her, I guess,” Yuffie said with a enormous grin and petted Naminè's head.

“You guess?” Naminè looked quite puzzled.

“Yup. Now go, before Tifa kicks down my door, because she thinks I'd want to keep you all for myself.”

“Why would you do that?” Naminè asked and was almost startled with Yuffie leaned towards her and was awfully close.

“Because I like cute innocent girls like you,” Yuffie said with a truly evil grin.

“You do?” Naminè was quite surprised.

“Nah. I just need someone to clean this place once in a while. I'm completely useless when it comes to cleaning,” Yuffie's grin got even bigger, as if she was proud of being unable to maintain a clean household.

“I don't really know how to clean either,” Naminè replied, and Yuffie started to laugh, Naminè to giggle.

Naminè then left, heading back to the house the girl she loved was living. She would definitely make it. It had been this way ever since she had seen Kairi in the top floor of the castle. It was different from simple affection. It was way beyond that. Something that connected her with Kairi. Something uncut able. But what did Yuffie mean with “confess“?

--Valiant Hearts--

“What the hell am I doing?” Olette was still upset, even after taking a shower. But what should she have done in that kind of situation? Just blurt out that she thinks she may be into girls and possibly interested to some point in her? Kairi would have avoided her just like she did with Naminè.

“At least, this way I'll be able to find out if I like her or not,” Olette sighted in resignation.

Today must been her most unlucky day in all history, with exception for the day time stopped in Twilight Town and this whole dilemma started.

There was a really biting smell that almost knocked her out when Olette opened the door. It was almost strong enough to pass as dangerous acid gas.

That could only mean one thing. It was time to eat.

“And I thought the day couldn't get any worse,” Olette sighed.

--Valiant Hearts--

Kairi was laying in her bed, rolling over in pain, and holding her stomach.

Tifa's cooking was like poison for her, but going to bed with a empty stomach was even worse. It didn't seem like Olette or Naminè took the food particularly good either. They both had looked like glowing tomatos after the meal.

“I still wonder how Aerith can like this inhuman spicy stuff,” Kairi muttered and got up. There was no way she could sleep while her stomach was aching like that.

Kairi would always sit on the rooftop of the house and watch the stars in the night when she couldn't sleep. It was quite warm tonight, so Kairi was going up, just with her super long shirt that she wore to sleep.

But someone had already taken her place. Olette was laying on her back and seemed to watch the stars. Right next to her sat Naminè, gazing on the dark horizon, as if something was there only she could see.

Kairi chose not to disturb those two when Naminè started to talk. It was really poor manners, but Kairi couldn't resist eavesdropping. For whatever reason, Kairi wanted to know what they would talk about with her not around. Although they slept in the same room, they didn't seem to talk much to each other.

“Say Olette. Why-” Naminè said and a little bit furious, Olette went up, looked quite angry and finally snapped.

“Stop asking already. It's... I don't know! I want to know too. Why the heck am I so uncomfortable with you around Kairi. I wouldn't sit there and be annoyed if I knew,” Olette basically shouted and then went up, walking a bit further up the roof and laying down there.

“Don't you like Kairi?” Naminè then asked, now gazing at Olette, instead of the horizon.

Kairi was more than just tense. She had notice that Olette behaved a bit odd when Naminè had been clung to her and several other times Olette had been annoyed for no reason. And they were talking about this, about her, right now.

“What do you mean 'like', Naminè? Like, like you do? Or like as girl? Like as friend? I guess if I have to say one of them, I'll go with the last. I only meet her a few days back, and although we're all here, playing happy family, I still don't belong here. I belong to my own home, Twilight Town. I have my own friends, my own family there. It's completely different to you!” Olette continued her rant and was mad at both Naminè and herself.

Why was she taking it out on her? Naminè wasn't really the reason Olette was now here. Nor was it her fault that Olette couldn't go back. It was stupid to yell at her for no reason, but it really made Olette feel better.

Naminè remained silent for a while, and both, Olette and Kairi, were thinking the same thing. Olette should apologize for yelling at her.

“Naminè, I'm... sorry for yelling. It's not really your fault. I'm totally confused. I just want to go back to my normal life. A peaceful life. I-” Olette was cut off.

“I only had one friend before I came here. And I don't know where he is now. Kairi is special to me. But you are too. Aerith and Tifa too,” Naminè said and went back to gazing at the horizon.

“Ah... yeah. Thanks... I guess,” Olette said after a while, a bit embarrassed.

Kairi was somewhat relieved. At least, it seemed like they would be able to get along. Kairi had completely forgotten about her stomach ache. It had been the reason she wanted to come up her in the first place. But it didn't seem like it was necessary now.

Kairi got back in her room, and was thinking for a moment, that it would have been nice if those two could get always get along. Of course, Kairi had her own issues, but it was a bit different with Naminè and Olette. They were also Keybladers. It wouldn't put them in any more danger if she were friends with them.

--Valiant Hearts--

“Won't Tifa and Aerith get mad when we just skip training like this?” Olette asked but still followed Kairi the way up to the observation deck.

“They get mad at me all the time for this. They even ground me sometimes. But in the end, they always forgive me,” Kairi said and looked behind her, at the other two.

Kairi waited for a moment, Naminè was a bit behind, and Olette stopped right next to her. She had offered to piggyback Naminè the way up, but Naminè declined and wanted to climb up by herself.

“I'm counting on you. I think today is a good day to... tell her,” Kairi whispered to Olette.

Olette knew that this day would come. She had, in the heat of the moment, agreed to help Kairi out.

The whole idea was a bit retarded, and if Naminè had not been so naive, it wouldn't work at all. Olette wasn't particularly fond of the idea, but now backing out was no option.

It took them a while, though less than the first time, to get up to the platform, and it was still forenoon. The sun was still rising, and the air was warm and fresh up there. It was a little paradise, their little private paradise. Kairi went over to lean over the handrail and took a deep breath fresh air. This far up, the air was more clean than below.

“I feel like in heaven,” Olette moaned and stretched out, laying on a bench.

The sun was shining through the glass, and although it was so far up, it was not blinding. The warm light really made this feel like a paradise.

Naminè was standing next to Kairi and instead of acting like usual, and trying to cling to Kairi, she imitated her.

--Valiant Hearts--

“I think you should give her some free space. I don't really know Kairi, but I think you're sticking a bit too close to her,” Olette said, despite the nagging voice in her head.

“What do you mean, free space?” Naminè asked.

Now that got Naminè's interest. If it was about Kairi, it really was easy to get her to listen.

“How do I put it that you understand it? Even when you're together with Kairi, don't cling so close to her. Think of her as a friend,” Olette explained.

She didn't believe that Naminè got what she meant, but it was worth a try. If Naminè understood, Kairi would have some free time to order her thoughts. And Olette too. To be witness to Naminè's constant approaching wasn't the best thing that came to mind when trying to figure out certain things.

“But why would I do that?” Naminè said and went up, walking over to Olette.

“You'll see that when you do,” Olette replied and also went up.

“Let's get some sleep. My stomach calmed down. I seriously wonder how Aerith can eat two plates of... it, and still smile at Tifa all the way. Does she have a iron stomach?” Olette said and shook her head with incomprehension.

Olette left for the window that lead to her own room, it was comfortable directly above her bed.

“Naminè, you still want to stay?”

“Hm, no. I'm coming. I just thought about what you said. I'm really sleepy actually.”

Naminè could go first, that way Olette didn't have to leave her bed even once before finally going to sleep now. She didn't even change into other clothes. Naminè on the other hand changed into a long shirt she had inherited from Kairi.

“Good night.”

“Hm, good night Olette.”

Kairi however was still on the roof and couldn't suppress a laugh anymore. It was kind of cute of those two to talk about things like that but also a bit embarrassing. But Olette really was right. Kairi wouldn't feel all that under pressure when Naminè reduced her clinging a bit.

“Uh, time for bed. I'll catch those two tomorrow before they leave for training. They won't mind a free day either.”

--Valiant Hearts--

“I could lay the whole day here and watch the sky. Kairi, have you ever been up here when it rained? I imagine that to be so cool,” Olette said and just turned her head slightly, to see where Kairi was standing with Naminè. It did bother her; not much though. The sky was just too much to distract her. Olette had always been a sucker for high places, and this one was this awesome view on top of it.

“No. Most of the times, I'm not so long up here, because it gets a bit lonely after some time. And going up while it rains is so dangerous that I never tried,” Kairi said, turning around and leaning on the handrail, bending a bit over, looking at the sky.

“I think there was somewhere a mechanism to open the glass roof, but I never found it, only read about it in the blueprints of this,” Kairi said and didn't know what kind of effect this would cause.

“We could open it? Are you sure? That would be so awesome! Let's look for it!” Olette shouted, quite excited.

“I told you, I've looked for it. I think it is either broken or was never completed,” Kairi said, looking a bit troubled to destroy Olette's enthusiasm like that.

“Can't Cid build or repair it?” Olette asked.

That had never occurred once to Kairi. It was her special place, and to ask Cid meant that everyone knew about it. She wouldn't be able to hide here and quietly enjoy the view or anything else here.

“It's very old and Cid is really busy with the data he got from the terminal at the Organization headquarters. Let's just forget about it, okay?” Kairi said, and her smile changed to a more serious expression.

Olette decided against arguing with her; that would completely ruin all this.

The three went back to a state of just enjoying the environment, and quite a bit of time went by with just Olette laying there, Kairi and Naminè standing on the handrail and none of them saying anything. The wind was gentle and the sun warm; there was nothing more one could wish for except maybe being on green grass. Olette had almost fallen asleep when Naminè joined her and sat down next to her, looking straight up, in the sky.

“Thank you,” she said.

Olette took a moment to comprehend, but seeing how Kairi didn't even move a inch away from her, all those time, Naminè must been thinking that it was because she didn't try to actually cling on her.

“Don't worry about it.”

A few minutes later, they had been silent since then, Kairi joined the other two at the benches and went to a pose of halfway laying back and sitting, resting on her elbows. Together, the three looked like best friends from far away.

Kairi was wondering when and where she should start. If she could just go to a state of friendship with those two, it would help a lot. It would annul the pressure, and Kairi was sure, they could get along anyway. In one sense, they even had to, all of them being chosen of the Keyblade. But that was just on the battlefield. Kairi didn't want it to be like that. Naminè and Olette were really nice girls, and it was a shame that Kairi had to resort to tricks like this to get along with both of them.

How long had they been here? How long would it stay this way? Deep inside, Kairi wished to stay like this forever. Without the fight against the Heartless, the Organization, everything. Just staying here, with those two, enjoying the ever blue sky, the white clouds that traveled a sky sea of blue, the wind that went gently through the few openings in the glass wall and blew their hair and over their faces, the sun that warmed them up, sending her light down to them. But that wish wouldn't be granted. Kairi had a mission; all three of them shared that. There was no escape from it, but at least she wasn't alone on that path anymore.

But Kairi had to do one important step before that.

“Naminè,” Kairi started. If this really worked, it was all good.

“Yes?”

“I know you... like me. And... well. I barely know you. I feel there is something special about you. But... I just can't suddenly think of you like that. I tried but it won't work. I'm not saying that I never will. But for now... can we just be friends? Until we, I mean I, know you better?“

Olette was giving her a certain look, and a bit hasty, Kairi added another line in.

“Of course I want to be friends with you too Olette. You seem like a nice girl too.”

Olette sighed and then laughed, a bit forcefully, but it was really funny to hear it like that. Kairi was not the best to say such things.

“I'm a nice girl, huh,” Olette whispered to herself and then gave away a big smile. “That's a sure thing for me. Although I still want to go home. I have friends of my own. Even... even if I am forced to do this Keyblade business, I still have my own friends. I still need to protect them from whatever you've been fighting. I think it's a good idea,” Olette said and meant most of it.

Naminè was a bit surprised to say the least. She didn't know much about how Kairi felt, but even Naminè had noticed that Kairi had been acting much different to the last few days today. If it could be all the time like this, it was a lot better than the other way around. Naminè didn't feel so happy about it at the moment, but she gave it a happy nod.

“But you need to promise me,” Naminè said, bringing up conditions of her own.

“Promise what?” Kairi replied.

She demanded a great deal from Naminè, so it was natural that Kairi should agree to whatever the blond girl proposed.

“You won't leave me all alone. Ever. We will stay together forever,” Naminè said and gave Kairi one of those looks that made one really feel guilty.

What should she do? It wasn't something that could be promised too easily in the first place, even though Kairi had done it once in the past.

Kairi had promised the exact same thing long ago. Sora, Riku and herself had promised to stay together, no matter what came. And not only did she break that promise once, when the Destiny Islands got consumed by the darkness and Sora and Riku vanished, but twice when Kairi sealed Kingdom Hearts, knowing that she would lose Sora and Riku again with that.

But this was completely different. Naminè didn't just want to be her friend. The girl loved her, and that was very clear. But Naminè wouldn't agree to starting out as friends if she would not promise this.

“Naminè, even if we stay together, don't forget your promise. We're just friends now, and friends don't cling to each other like you did when we were here the last time. I will stay by your side, as long as you want, but for now, I will only do it as friend,“ Kairi felt that it was necessary to explain this to Naminè.

The blond girl didn't really like what Kairi said, but it couldn't be helped. If that was Kairi's wish, Naminè would abide by that.

Kairi took a deep breath and tried to order her thoughts. She wouldn't break such a promise again. Never. So should she really promise to stay by her side?

Naminè couldn't see it, but Olette showed Kairi a sign of approval.

Kairi looked directly at Naminè. It had proven to be a good idea to ask Olette, so Kairi trusted her judgement.

“Okay, I promise,” Kairi replied, and was immediately jumped on by Naminè. It wasn't really nice that immediately after Naminè promised to only see her as a friend to jump Kairi for a few seconds, but for only this one time, Kairi would let it go.

Olette was amazed that it was this easy. Naminè really seemed to agree to anything as long as Kairi was the one that proposed it. There was a nagging voice in her head that scolded her for proposing this idea in the first place. It was really anything but nice to manipulate things this way. Olette could think of several reasons one would do this, but all of them didn't seem very nice. To make it worse, the target of all this was Naminè, who had no idea she was being manipulated.

For a moment, Naminè was looking quite disappointed, but almost like out of a comedy movie, Olette saved the moment.

“I'm hungry. Say, Kairi, don't tell me you completely forgot about bringing any food? I can't stay here the whole day without even a snack.” Olette broke the atmosphere of the moment.

There was a really awkward silence. Usually, Kairi never stayed so long up here. There was no need to bring food or anything along. But they had been here since quite some time. Now that Olette said it, Kairi got a bit hungry herself.

“Uhm, we could go back down and try to get something. We're basically screwed if Tifa or Aerith find us,” Kairi suggested.

“I'd rather avoid being beaten to a pulp by Tifa today. I still think she is some monster out of a movie. I never even once met someone that had even remotely that much power! Tifa scares the hell out of me when she rushes at me like that. Why don't they go out and fight against those Organization or whatever? They seem so far stronger than we are.”

“World balance. Every world has its own rules. We chosen of the Keyblade don't abide by those rules and we are free to move from world to world. But normal people like Tifa or Aerith aren't. If they go with me, it disturbs the balance of the worlds. They can't stay too long in one particular world without ruining the balance. There are certain exceptions. Hollow Bastion is a world that was created by Ansem the Wise. A real world created by man. That is the reason that the normal rules don't apply here. Another exception is the headquarters of the Organization XIII. We don't care about the balance of that world. It will be destroyed in the end,” Kairi explained.

Olette sighed. She didn't understand all this stuff about world balance. Her head started to ache and she went back to her laying position. If the decision was to be hungry or get possibly found out by Tifa, she would rather stay hungry.

Naminè wasn't exactly hungry, but the thought alone of magic training inflicted pain in her head. Beside, after that almost literally hellish food yesterday, Naminè hadn't exactly an urge to eat anything at all now.

“I'll go alone later and try to get us some snacks or something. I'm pretty good at getting away,” Kairi sighed and went back to watching at the horizon.

How long had it been that she had talked with other people her age like that? Three years now? Riku and Sora must also have grown up. But Kairi wasn't the weak girl from back then anymore. She had to become stronger and stronger to beat the Heartless and especially Ansem. It was thanks to Aerith that Kairi had survived the last battle. If Aerith had not found her near the doors of Kingdom Hearts, where Kairi had passed out, exhausted way beyond her limits, unable to even do a single step...

The girls stayed for another hour up on the observation deck until Olette started to continuously complain about her empty stomach. Kairi went back to the house and managed to grab a few apples and some snacks, stuffing them all into a rucksack she had kept in her room.

Luck or whatever reason, Kairi made it safely back, and no one had followed her.

“Help yourself,” Kairi said and put the rucksack next to the benches.

“Yay, food!” Olette cheered and went to annihilate the content of the rucksack.

There wasn't much beside watching the sky and the sunset a bit later that day. It was peaceful and quiet up there. It was a boon to relax a day. Leon had been taking the training much too seriously.

The one time Naminè and Olette went to check up on her, they had been quite shocked about her training. Kairi got pretty beaten up by Leon, and although she improved, it was much too hard for her. If Aerith had not held the girls back, they would have attacked Leon, thinking that he was dead serious.

The sun was almost gone when they decided to go down.

--Valiant Hearts--

“Are you sure Yuffie? I never heard of it like that,” Leon asked, looking quite troubled.

The black haired ninja put on a offended expression and leaned a bit towards Leon, pointing with a finger at him.

“If you don't stop being so critical about my reports, you can go the next time!” Yuffie complained.

“That is really bad. We haven't been to that world even once. We need to tell Kairi. We can't afford any delay. If we wait just a few more days, the world will be consumed by the Heartless,” Leon ordered.

“Who will go with her? The two new girls?” Yuffie asked, before leaving to tell Kairi of the new mission.

“Are you mad? They haven't had enough training, by far. I wouldn't send Kairi out at all if this weren't a emergency. Tifa and Aerith will go with her, and if we can find him, Tifa shall drag Cloud along,” Leon almost yelled at her.

“I doubt Kairi will agree with that. Not only did the other two girls train like slaves, but Kairi is always worrying about the balance of worlds anyway. She'll make a huge ruckus, if I tell her that Olette and Naminè have to stay here and Aerith, Tifa and Cloud go with her,” Yuffie said with a bit of a doubting expression.

“I don't care if Kairi agrees or not,” Leon said with a ice cold face and went to call on Cid. They needed his machine to open the gateway enough to allow someone beside Kairi, the Keyblader, to pass through.

Yuffie left and headed over to Aerith and Tifa's house. The world had been in a really grave situation. The Heartless must have found some hole in the barrier between the worlds. There were hordes of them. Not only that; Yuffie had asked around in that world. Disguised as sailor, it had been easy to get information. Apparently, a man in a black coat had been seen several times.

“I wonder if it's the Organization.”

It was already dark out there, and even though it was still warm, Yuffie couldn't get in a good mood. Kairi would disagree with Leon's decision and the other two girls probably as well.

Yuffie didn't give much on manners, and Aerith had told her once that she was always welcome in her house. That had been before she got together with Tifa, though.

--Valiant Hearts--

“I'm a bit mad that Kairi skipped training. But we gave them a really hard time. I can understand her a bit,” Tifa said.

The black haired woman was laying on the couch, her head resting on Aerith's lap, looking up to her lover.

“Olette and Naminè never trained before. I think we may have overdone it a bit. And I need to talk with Leon. Naminè told me the other day of his training with Kairi. He is taking it too far I think,” the other woman replied.

Aerith was playing with Tifa's hair, once in a while teasing the nose of her girlfriend with a strand of her own hair, getting a few annoying comments from her.

“But it's nice to have some time for ourselves too. It is exhausting to play trainer everyday. I'm sure you feel like that too, Aerith-pon,” Tifa said, grabbing the left hand of her lover, kissing it, and preventing any more childish play with her hair.

“Just that you know, you're going to comb my hair later. I'm sure it's all messed up thanks to you,” Tifa said, pretending to be angry.

Aerith freed her hand, laying both of them on Tifa's cheeks and leaning over.

“Seems I'm disturbing you. You two know where Kairi is?” Yuffie asked, out of the blue. She had been standing for a while there; neither of the women had heard the door opening.

“What do you want, plague?” Tifa said, not pretending to be angry anymore.

It was Yuffie's special talent to show up when Tifa was flirting with Aerith. And it happened quite often too.

Aerith bent over, whispering something in Tifa's ear, which made her blush a bit, and then looked over to Yuffie. The two didn't mind Yuffie seeing them like that, but it always ruined any romantic mood.

“Right behind you, Yuffie,” Aerith answered with a smile.

Yuffie turned around and found indeed Kairi and the other two girls standing right behind her. They looked a bit confused. Yuffie didn't seem like she had come over for a friendly visit.

“New mission Kairi. You know the keyhole portal in the library in the castle? The one we ignored for quite some time? I checked the world out, and its basically under attack from the Heartless. Leon ordered you, Tifa and Aerith to go and exterminate the Heartless. I need to warn you that-” Yuffie was cut off by Olette.

“What? We've trained like slaves, and now we're simply left behind to look after the house? Leon can't be serious about that!” Olette complained quite loudly.

Olette was angry about being left out, not about being unable to go to another world and fight against whatever there was. If one thing annoyed her, then it was being left out or being ignored.

“I knew you would complain but Leon is as obstinate as a rock. He won't give a inch in this matter,” Yuffie replied, shook her head and looked at Kairi.

“Cid is repairing his machine. He'll be ready tomorrow morning. I need to get some sleep, I have another surveillance mission the day after tomorrow. Good luck Kairi.”

With that, Yuffie left.

Kairi was looking quite angry, Olette no less. Naminè didn't seem to understand much of it, but that Kairi had such a expression didn't please her either.

“What is Leon thinking? He knows that sending non-Keyblader to other worlds causes disturbances! And then, to a complete new world on top of that. Olette and Naminè had plenty of training, didn't they?” Kairi looked over to Tifa and Aerith. Tifa had left her position and stood up, Aerith still sitting on the couch.

“I know what you feel like right now. But I have to agree with Leon. Olette and Naminè don't have enough training yet, and I'd rather look after you myself, with the Organization and all going on,” Tifa said.

Kairi didn't say anything. No matter what she would say, in the end Tifa and Aerith worried too much about her. She wasn't the only Keyblader anymore, and it was downright stupid to still send other people with her to another world. One day, the disturbance would have a great effect on the worlds.

“Just what reason has Leon to ignore always everything I accomplish? But it's not only that! This time, he ignores all three of us! What do we train for in the first place if we don't get taken seriously? They have been trained just as hard as I do, but I bet Leon didn't even consider once that I could actually complete a mission without having both of you with me.“

Olette was a bit flattered that Kairi said it like that, but it was more than the average weird occurrence that Kairi was yelling like that at Tifa and Aerith. Olette understood the problem, but this wouldn't solve anything.

“Let's stop that Kairi, it's not going to help if you yell and-“ Kairi waved with her hand and continued her rant. Olette knew from her own experience that it was a bit hopeless to ask her to reason now.

Tifa wanted to throw some arguments back, but Kairi didn't give her the chance.

“You two are so incredible powerful, I always feel unnecessary when I go with you. I bet, if one of you would be the Keyblade's chosen, Leon wouldn't even take notice of my existence!“ Kairi yelled and talked herself more into anger with every word.

“That is not true dear, I'm sure that-“ Aerith couldn't even finish one line.

“I know you two worry about me, I would too if the roles were the other way around, but I can basically sit around and wait for you at the portal until the Heartless are defeated. I know it's bad to get hurt, and I don't like that either, but it hurts even more to be useless like that! Then what do I train so hard for? What do they train for? To sit one day at the portal, like I did so many times? We could as well just stop training!“

Naminè had been looking in turns at Kairi, who seemed to be about to explode, and Aerith and Tifa, whom looked more worried about her than angry. Kairi was really scary that way, and Naminè tried to get her attention with taking her hand.

“Kairi, don't yell like that, it's scary,“ Naminè said, but Kairi didn't even notice her attempt to end this.

Olette had her own quarrels with her parents, and some of them ended like this too, but the cause of those things wasn't even remotely close to what the topic here was. It was awkward to see Kairi arguing like this with her, more or less, parents.

“I'm really sick of this! I'm not the little girl that just got her Keyblade anymore! I may be not as strong as Tifa, and can't use magic like Aerith, but Olette and I held off that Organization member, and he was ridiculously powerful!“

“You got really hurt dear, and if not Olette had been there, who knows what-“ Aerith tried to dim the flames of her rage.

“But Olette is here! She can go with me! And Naminè too! I saw them train, and I trust them! We are not Keybladers to open the portals for you, Cloud, Leon, Yuffie or someone else! They chose us for a reason! We aren't puppets Leon can order around freely!“

“Leon is still our leader! And even if I don't like some of his decisions, he does his job! You, and you two too, may be chosen of the Keyblade. But that doesn't mean you are invincible! What if the Organization is on the move? Will you be able to hold three of them off? Like Aerith and Yuffie did for you in Twilight Town?“ Tifa went back at her.

“Let's stop here Kairi. Arguing with your parents gets you nowhere. They aren't at fault here,“ Olette said and grabbed Kairi's wrist.

“Yes, lets stop yelling. I don't like you like that,“ Naminè added in.

Kairi wanted to counter something, but after looking at the awkward, embarrassed and worried faces around her, she couldn't. Tifa was right, she knew it, but Kairi had her own points too! Olette had let go of her wrist, and Kairi had enough for today.

“I'm going to sleep!!” Kairi shouted, and took both Naminè's and Olette's hand, dragging them along.

Kairi stopped once they had entered the room Olette and Naminè were sleeping at.

“This Idiot! What does he think he is? If not for me, he would still lurk around in Traverse Town!“ Kairi shouted and kicked against a drawer.

“Calm down Kairi. It's not going to help if you run havoc now“ Olette said, grabbing her arm.

“Let me go! Why do you stay so calm when they're obviously ignoring your hard work?“ Kairi tried to get free, but Olette was the stronger one.

"I don't really get it, but isn't it good to not get hurt?“ Naminè said and sat on her bed.

"That's not the point. Of course I'm happy if everyone is well, but this is just ridiculous!“ Kairi replied, slowly losing up.

"Maybe you can talk to Leon and he will-“ Olette tried to find a solution to this drama.

"He won't budge an inch. He doesn't believe the slightest in my or your abilities. Unless I can prove that we three alone are able to-“ Kairi stopped in the middle of the line.

"Prove what? Are you okay?“ Olette let go of Kairi and Naminè walked closer to examine the now completely silent Kairi.

"But that's it. We can just go alone. It's too hard to open a portal alone, but I'm not. You two have Keyblades as well. We'll just sneak out and accomplish that mission without the help of the others.“

“I'm with you,” Olette said. She wouldn't stand for this. What was that training for? Just for when she got home to rule at struggle? That couldn't be all! Olette wanted to prove herself to this Leon guy, to prove that she was not inferior to the others.

“You promised to stay with me forever. I'll go with you,” Naminè said and went to cling to Kairi's arm.

For once, Kairi didn't mind. It was okay for now. After all, Naminè had never really fought against the Heartless. It would be a bit of a shock for her. And a big conversion.

“Olette, I will knock on your window when we set out. You two, pretend to accept whatever Leon decided for now, I will sulk in my room, to make it authentic. I trust you two,” Kairi said and with that, their great escape plan was set in motion.

Kairi didn't show up for dinner, and had locked herself up in her room, refusing to speak with both Tifa and Aerith.

Olette and Naminè didn't eat much, both being quiet and then leaving for their room.

Aerith was worried about them, but even Naminè wouldn't speak to her.

“Don't you think we've been a bit unfair to them?” Aerith asked.

She was sitting on the table, quite worried. Kairi had only once reacted that bad to something like this. And now, it wasn't just Kairi. That Kairi was sulking affected Naminè as well, and Olette had her own reasons to be angry. After all, maybe this new world offered a way back home for her.

Tifa walked behind her, leaning down, laying her arms around Aerith's shoulders, kissing her neck.

“Don't worry about it so much. Kairi won't sulk forever. And at some point, we can entrust Naminè and Olette with the role of her protectors. Maybe. I don't feel so well when I think about it, really. But don't make such a face. I know how you feel. Kairi is like a daughter for me too. You aren't alone with your worries.”

“Thank you. I'm happy to have you at my side.” Aerith laid her own hands on Tifa's. “Let us go to bed. I'll comb your hair after the mission, yes? It is always really messy when you fight anyway.”

“Your hair ain't no better. Sometimes, you have frozen or burned strands from all your magic,” Tifa now teased her, pulling a strand of hair, playing with it. “Revenge,” Tifa giggled, and teased her lovers nose with it.

--Valiant Hearts--

“All ready?” Kairi asked.

Naminè gave her a nod, holding onto Monochrome. She wouldn't be a hindrance. Olette had explained a few basic battle strategics to her. It was a bit confusing, but Naminè would manage.

Olette had a few doubts about this. It wasn't really nice to fight for one's life, even if it helped a lot of people. Yes, maybe there was a way back to her world, and on top of all, Olette wanted to prove herself to the others. For now, Olette had only summoned up her Circle of Life Keyblade. Only if it was necessary, only in a fight, Olette summoned the second. She had managed to do it at almost equal speed to Kairi.

“Yes,” both girls simultaneously said.

“Then let us go.”

The three girls went over the roofs, all in secret, and without being seen, without being found out by anyone, they reached the castle.

This time, there was no one around. Locked doors were no hindrance for them. They had three all-fitting keys.

Kairi had just opened the last lock, the doors of the library, with Oathkeeper, and they went upstairs.

“It's here.” Kairi stopped in front of a bookshelf that gave off a weird vibe.

Naminè and Olette could feel it too. It was as if something inside there was resonating, reacting to their Keyblades. It wasn't particularly a nasty feeling, but not a good one either.

“Concentrate on your Keyblade with the wish to open a gate. And direct the Keyblade at the bookshelf. It helps if you close your eyes beforehand,” Kairi explained and did the first step.

It took no longer than a few seconds and a light ray emitted from Oathkeeper and hit the bookshelf. A small portal, in form of a keyhole, opened up. Shortly after, Naminè's and Olette's light ray's fused with the gate, opening it far enough to allow all three of them to walk through it.

“We won't come back here until we finished our mission. Both of you... are you sure you're ready? There will be Heartless on the path to another world. We will have to fight even before we reach the world,” Kairi asked, looking first at Naminè, then Olette.

Kairi had her own thoughts. Olette had fought against a Organization member, she didn't need to worry much about her. She was also being trained by Tifa. But Naminè didn't improve as much, compared to Olette, and her physical abilities were to say the least, pretty terrible. And as far as Kairi knew, she had not even once fought anything, not even a lesser Heartless. Kairi would have to look out after her. In a fitting moment, Kairi would ask Olette to play a guardian role for Naminè.

Both gave a nod, and without further questions, without further words, they stepped together through the gateway.

It was only a second after they went through that it closed itself, leaving them on a dark path.

The first lesser Heartless were already waiting for them.

“Here we go,” Kairi shouted and rushed ahead.

Onwards to Part 9


Back to Valiant Hearts II Index - Back to Kingdom Hearts Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction