Valiant Hearts II (part 7 of 25)

a Kingdom Hearts fanfiction by Yuritale

Back to Part 6

The feelings I have

“Everyone here?”

Leon was leaning on the wall, inside of Merlin's house. The room was filled to the edge with people. Everyone that had been to the trip to Twilight Town as well as Leon, Cid, Naminè and Merlin himself were there.

“We'll start with an in detail report on the events that occurred inTwilight Town. I'd like to hear first how you came into the possession of a Keyblade and got involved in the fight against the Organization, Olette,” Leon said and pointed to the brunette.

All three girls were sitting close to each other. They had slept untilit was almost noon and didn't have much opportunity to speak with each other. Tifa and Aerith had avoided waking them up. This day, this report, would be the longest in all history of Hollow Bastion.

“I don't know where to start this. This Keyblade what you call it, this weapon, it forms itself from a pendant I've had since forever. Not sol ong ago, I started to have dreams about a glass tower. I didn't think that it was related to all this at first, but it was the place I first summoned the Keyblade. I wanted to ask Kairi about it, but didn't yet. I also saw there huge stained glass ornaments in the ground that showed both Kairi and Naminè and their weapons,” started Olette.

Leon looked over to Kairi. They had heard about this glass tower back when they asked Kairi how she had gotten the Keyblade. Although this seemed different from what Kairi had experienced, it was related.

“I don't know why there were ornaments of Naminè and me. When I last saw that place, that was before Destiny Islands first got overrun by the Heartless; there weren't any ornaments of other people. Just the seven princesses and on the last one a gigantic ornament of several Keyblades. I never saw one of the things on those ornaments again,” gave Kairi her part of that story.

It was Aerith's turn to speak up.

“How about Naminè? Dear, did you dream, or rather, go to such a place too? How did you get your Keyblade? I know we wanted to start with Olette, but we won't understand what really happened if we don't do the related matters first.”

Leon agreed on this, and all eyes went over to Naminè who just sat on a chair and looked rather confused now. She didn't really know what the others were talking about.

“When Kairi found me in Castle Oblivion and the castle started to collapse, she lost one of her pendants. I picked it up. The first time I used it as Keyblade was in Twilight Town. Axel was looking for another way inside that mansion because the door was blocked by a really huge lock. I had one time that dream when I saw Kairi using her Keyblade to open a lock. I somehow opened it, and since back then, I can make it change its shape from pendant to Keyblade.”

Everyone in that room was quite puzzled. That was completely different in any and every detail from how Kairi and Olette got their Keyblades. How was it even possible that Naminè could use a Keyblade from someone else? But then again, Olette could also use Hero's Crest.

“So, in short, while Kairi and Olette got their respective Keyblade on, I'll call it “Tower of the Chosen”, Naminè pretty much just got hers from Kairi and could use it like that. That would mean that Keyblades aren't restricted to a certain user,” Leon summarized.

A short break took place. Leon was deep in thought and in the meanwhile, Cid took his place.

“Olette, can you try to summon Monochrome, the Keyblade Naminè uses? After that, I'd like to see if Naminè can summon your Circle of Life. That will give me some valuable data to work on.”

Naminè didn't want to give away the Monochrome pendant; it was something very special to her, and Olette didn't want to give away her keepsake either. Kairi was the one to oppress that experiment.

“I don't think it works that way. Keyblades react closely to someone's feelings, and you know that Cid. Naminè said something about seeing what I did through my dreams. I think that is the reason that she can use Monochrome. I don't quite understand how Olette can use Hero's Crest, even maintain two Keyblade's at once, so easily, but I think in that case, she fits much better to it than I do,” Kairi explained.

Cid was not satisfied but it would be quite a problem to force them to do the experiment. Kairi's explanation was quite good too, so it wasn't really absolutely necessary. However, he wouldn't give up. Maybe he would ask one of the girls later when they were alone.

“Naminè dear, what do you mean when you say that you saw Kairi in your dream? You didn't know her when that happened, am I right?” Aerith butted in.

“Hmm, no. I had never meet her personally. But I've seen her often in my dreams. I don't dream about her anymore since I left Castle Oblivion, but that doesn't matter now. After all, Kairi is now right next to me,” Naminè replied and gave Kairi a amazingly cute look.

While the redhead was slightly blushing from what Naminè did, Olette took the lead.

“The Keyblade Kairi gave me, the Hero's Crest you say, was much harder to use than my own Keyblade. But I really didn't have any problem with summoning it at all. It was just bigger and way more massive than my own Keyblade. I don't know anything about this Keyblade business at all, and I've never dreamed once about Kairi. The first time I “saw” her was the ornament on the glass tower.”

Most of the people tried to think of a logical explanation. The whole thing was much harder and more complicated than it first looked. It was Tifa that first spoke and told her idea of how the Keyblades worked.

“What if Naminè and Olette are both related to Kairi? We all know Kairi sealed Kingdom Hearts, the heart of all worlds. What if, through that, Naminè's and Olette's hearts became connected to her that way? Wouldn't that explain anything?”

Kairi waved away. It wasn't that easy.

“Right, I sealed it, but I don't think that it was the reason. Then how would you explain Naminè and her dreams, and Olette living in that world. Cid, did you finish the analysis of it? I'm thrilled to hear what really is up with that world. I've never been to a world where time just froze and remained like that.”

Olette gave Kairi a annoyed glare. That was her world, her hometown they were speaking about it like it was some fantastic place to research or a tourist attraction.

Cid, finally in his element, lit another cigarette and started to explain. Before the first word could leave his lips, a wind spell from Yuffie blew away the cigarette.

“No smoking when we girls are here,” she complained.

With a clearly worse mood, Cid started his report.

“That's one fine piece of data I've got there. That whol' world is an artificial created and most likely monitored by someone. It's based on somethin' like a reality data emulator that's showing the core part ofth' emulation-” Cid was cut off by Tifa.

“Okay, okay, okay. Now in a way that everyone understands what you are talking about. Leave out all the technical nonsense.”

Cid grumbled some words the others couldn't understand and continued his report.

“Like I way sayin', the world isn't real. It's more of a virtual reality.“

Olette looked quite baffled. She must have misheard him. Yeah. There was no way that...

"Like inside a computer. I'm not sure, but I think someone set that up for little Olette here. Pure speculation that, but without the Organization, I gotta doubt that we'll land somewhere beside the real Twilight Town. You see, I don't know why but that virtual world was supposed to be isolated from the world paths. At least, it doesn't really make any sense to me to setup such a thing and then make it open like a terminal without any-” again was Cid cut off by Tifa.

“We get it, we get it already. So, that world Kairi and Aerith-” a cold glare from Yuffie reminded her that she was also there, “and Yuffie found Olette, was a fake? What for?”

Cid shrugged and looked at the celling. That, even he didn't know.

“I dunno. Don't ask me. Can only guess that. Maybe some sort of prison because the one that set this thing up knew that Olette was a Keyblader? And didn't want her to awaken? My guess is as good as yours there,” he said.

A loud crash clang from where the girls were sitting. Olette had fallen from her chair, the eyes wide open and as pale as marble.

“You... you're kidding, right? What's this about, my world... my friends, family and anyone else being fake? You... you got to be kidding me, damn it! What do you know anyway?! I've been living there, living with my friends and family for sixteen years, and now you show up and tell me that's all fake? Like I believe that! You people show up in my world, some crazy guy is trying to kill Kairi and me and you now you tell me I've been living inside a fake world?” Olette yelled at Cid and got louder with every word.

Kairi was about to say something to her, but Cid should really have considered her feelings. She would probably have reacted the same way if they told her Destiny Islands had been a fake world.

Olette didn't even wait for anyone to say something. She could feel her rage come up her throat and it got harder and harder to yell without breaking out in tears. She usually didn't cry easily, but the manner they just talked about her world being a fake was much too cold. They didn't care a bit how she felt. Without thinking twice, she kicked over her chairs and pushed open the door and ran out. It won't matter what they would think now. The one thing she wanted right now was to go back to Twilight Town. To see Hayner and Pence, to see her family. To see the people that man had called fake. To prove they were real.

“Cid... did you ever consider for a single moment what harm such a explanation would inflict on her? I can't quite believe that something like a fake world really exists, but even so, you should have spent a moment of thinking how Olette would feel,” Aerith said and looked on the ground.

The mood was really depressing right now. While Leon said nothing and just sighed, Yuffie was non-stop complaining to Cid. Tifa didn't know what to say, so she just picked up the chair and placed it right. Naminè didn't really understand what Olette had been so angry about, but even she could feel that Cid had said something that Olette really hated.

“I'll look after her. Cid, think twice about what you say from now on. If what you say is true, we won't be able to bring her back to that world. If not, she will stay at her own world for good after this,” Kairisaid, stood up and left the room.

Naminè wanted to follow her but was held back by Aerith. The pink dressed woman just shook her head slightly with a smile.

“Leave her be for the moment.”

--Valiant Hearts--

“What do they know anyway? Showing up like that in my world, with those other guys, and telling me I'm some chosen of the Keyblade and all. Twilight Town can't be fake. They were all real. And why would anyone keep me in such a world? Because I can wield a Keyblade like that man said? That's just ridiculous. I didn't even have this damn weapon till they came to my world!”

Olette summoned her Circle of Life Keyblade and looked at it. It may have been her keepsake, and she really held it dear, but it was also the root of all misery that had happened to her lately. If she hadn't had this thing...

She bit on her lips, looking at the Keyblade like it was at fault for it all and threw it as far away as she could. No keepsake, no matter how important it was, was worth fighting for her life or worse, having those people talk about her world like that.

“It won't go away.”

Kairi was standing a few steps behind her. This whole scenario reminded her of her early times as the chosen one. It was more than just hard, it was painful. To lose her friends, to lose her world, to lose everything and then stand before the huge quest of defeating Ansem.

Just a few seconds after, Circle of Life materialized in Olette's hand. She tried to throw it away again but stopped midway.

Kairi did a few steps and stand right beside Olette, gazing at the sky. She could understand her a bit. She had also tried to throw away her mission, just run away and leave everything behind. It was really hard to accept the truth sometimes. In this case, they didn't even know if her world really was fake.

“I once wanted to run away too. Do you want to know what held me back?” Kairi started.

Olette didn't want to hear it. Didn't want to talk to anyone. She sat down and looked away. Kairi didn't do anything bad. Olette really wanted to run away from what Cid had said. Wanted to run away, was afraid of looking at what was before her. Afraid to know the truth.

“You know, when I first got my Keyblade, I lost my whole world and my best friends. I was alone in a unknown world, and the Heartless were after me. It was Leon and the others that first found me and told me about the Keyblade. I didn't know anything and was really easygoing and a bit naive back then. I had no idea what ordeal was coming. / And then... after a while, I found out that the one of the masterminds behind the heartless, a witch called Maleficent, had imprisoned my friends. I was really angry,” Kairi told Olette about her past.

“And what does that have to do with me!?” Olette snapped at her but didn't feel so bad anymore.

Kairi continued without answering Olette's question.

“When I learned that they had become servants for Maleficent in order to keep their hearts how I later learned, I lost all hope. How should I fight against my best friends? I wanted to throw away anything, wanted to run away from what I had to do. I mean... I didn't accept the fact that Sora and Riku, my friends, had sided with the darkness. I was really down then.”

Olette was looking with great eyes at Kairi. She had no idea that Kairi went through such things.

“Back then Aerith talked to me. It wasn't much she said to me, but it kept me going. “You need to believe. Believe and everything will work out fine,” is what Aerith told me. So what if Sora and Riku were on the enemy's side? I just had to get them back! And in the end, I beat Maleficent. But she wasn't the one that had been pulling the strings behind all that. It was Ansem. The one that had build this world, this Hollow Bastion. I was really shocked back then. The battle against him was really hard, but what came after that was even harder.”

Olette had completely forgotten that she had been really angry. Kairi, who stand right next to her, was looking a bit different from before. It was almost as if one could see how much she had suffered back there.

“What happened to your friends? Aren't they living around here?” she asked, completely in the blue what really happened.

“When I just had gotten them back, when I had beat Ansem, I found Kingdom Hearts. I was really scared what I saw inside there. Kingdom Hearts, the heart of all worlds, was overrun by the Heartless. I had no choice but to seal the door that lead to Kingdom Hearts. But I was too weak to do it alone.”

Kairi had sat down, next to Olette and looked at the pendant that was formed like a star. It was the one she used for Oathkeeper. Pulling a completely black one from her girdle, she showed both of them Olette.

“Oathkeeper and Oblivion. Oathkeeper is from Sora. It is the proof of our promise to meet again. Oblivion is from Riku. It is a symbol for eternal friendship, no matter what happens. Both of them sacrificed themselves to seal Kingdom Hearts. We were only able to make it because they used their strength to seal Kingdom Hearts from the inside. And I had lost them again. Although all the worlds that had been lost to the Heartless had returned, and the barrier that divided the worlds was reconstructed, I had lost my friends again. I'm still looking for them. And I will find them. No matter what I must do.”

Kairi had finished her story and looked over at Olette. The brunette had been gazing at Kairi for quite a while, and noticed now that she was still looking at Kairi, although she had long stopped talking.

“I didn't know you've had it so rough. I don't think I could have pulled that off,” she said a bit meek.

“Do you know why I told you all this?” Kairi asked and for the first time since they were out there, she smiled.

Olette's heart made a little jump when she did, and looked rather embarrassed away. That must have been because she was really emotionalright now.

“Because you wanted me to know that you had it much harder than I?” Olette asked.

“No. I told you because I think that you should understand that you should never give up or run away. No matter how painful it is. Well... do we go back? I'm sure Cid didn't intend to be mean. He is really great with machines and all, but... not really that great with humans.”

Kairi stand up, and right next to Olette, holding out her hand to her.

Olette couldn't help it but smile over herself and take Kairi's hand. She was right. There wasn't much use worrying about it like that. If it really was true, she would beat the one responsible to a pulp. If not, there was no sense in worrying about it ahead of time.

The two girls went back to Merlin's house and found Cid with a slightly blue eye. Apparently, Tifa had punched him after he had made a really improper comment about Olette. What it was, they wouldn't give away. They sat down back on their chairs and no one mentioned what had happened.

“Leaving the matter of Olette's world aside, we won't be able to do anything about it anyway. We should focus on the Organization,” Leon said and got back to the reports.

“From what we know, they didn't really expect us to be there. Although they tried to kill Yuffie and me,” Tifa cracked with her knuckles and grumbled something no one was able to understand, “I have to doubt that it was their objective from the beginning,” Aerith made her report.

“They were after Axel, I think. That is what he said,” Naminè blurted out.

Leon's attention was now focused all on Naminè.

“Who is this Axel and what is his relation with the Organization?” Leon asked and took a couple of steps towards Naminè.

“He is a member of the Organization. And he is the one that helped me to escape from Castle Oblivion. I don't know where is he is right now, but I'm sure he is okay. He is a really nice guy,” Naminè said with a cute little smile and looked to Kairi who sat right next to her.

“This is going to give me a headache for sure,” Leon complained and chose not to ask any deeper detail on that. It didn't look like Naminè even knew who the Organization really was.

“Why don't we take a break Leon? This is really starting to take a bit long,” Aerith proposed.

Yuffie agreed and left without further notice. She would have to report her fight against that old man later to Leon, and that alone was a huge pain in the ass. She still felt depleted and exhausted from that trip, even though Aerith healed her.

“Tifa, Aerith, can you two come with me for a moment?” Merlin asked the two women and walked past them out of the room.

Kairi felt that it was time for a change of place. Naminè seemed to follow her anywhere, and Olette still wasn't in the best mood for this. It was almost past afternoon and the sun was already slowly setting. It was the ideal time to visit “that” spot.

“You two, come with me,” Kairi said to Olette and Naminè with a mysterious smile and left the room.

Naminè didn't even think twice about following her and was right behind Kairi. Olette just wanted to get away from Cid, and this was a welcome reason to get out of this house.

Kairi was standing right outside the house. The time was exactly right. In a few minutes, it would be the best view from “that” spot. She had found that spot while looking for keyhole portals and just happened to notice the amazing view one had from there. It was quite a hassle to get there, though.

--Valiant Hearts--

“That girl, Naminè was her name, yes? I can sense a great magical potential from her. Much greater than what Kairi is capable of, I am sure.”

Merlin was talking to Aerith and Tifa right behind his house.

“Of how great are you speaking, Merlin?” Aerith asked.

She had felt it too. And Naminè had even asked her to teach her magic. While the girl seemed to lack any proper education in fighting, and was rather timid too, there was this huge aura that surrounded her.

“Not quite as much as you are capable of, but it should be sufficient, with proper training I say, to master even the great magic of the non-elemental third ranks,” Merlin said, his voice more and more going down to a whisper, as if talking about a big secret.

Aerith was rather surprised. Kairi could use magic to a certain extent, and she hadn't reached her limits yet. But it was questionable if Kairi would ever be able to use Reflecga and Graviga. To have a naturalpotential of that class, Naminè really must be gifted.

“I don't think I'll be able to teach her properly. I've had my problems with Kairi too, until you took over. Young girls these days are just too-” Merlin got cut off by Tifa.

“So, basically, you're asking Aerith to teach her magic? I don't think it is-”

Aerith interrupted her lover. “I'll do it. I can see that Naminè really likes Kairi, and from what she told us, she doesn't have a place to go anyway. She will most likely stay with Kairi. And I think that is a wonderful thing. Not because we then have two Keybladers but because Kairi is really isolated from kids her own age otherwise,” Aerith said.

Tifa was surprised. Usually, Aerith wouldn't have agreed so easily to teach a almost completely stranger girl magic. But she understood what Aerith was saying. It really seemed like Kairi was isolated from anyone but the ones affiliated to the keyholes.

“What about Olette Merlin? The other girl, the brunette?” Tifa asked.

“I'm sorry to say that, but I couldn't even sense the slightest bit of magic potential in her. I doubt she will ever be able to use as much as the first rank elemental spells. I have never seen someone that untalented for the arcane art before,” Merlin said with a sad face.

“That is quite a surprise. Since she is able to wield two Keyblades at once and even fight that way from what she said, I thought she was a natural talent.”

Aerith's expression was a musing one. It seemed to be quite a coincidence that Naminè was a magic natural, while Olette could even maintain two Keyblades but completely lacked any magical talent.

“So I really was right.”

Tifa's face graced the biggest grin Aerith had seen in a long time.

“What do you mean?” Aerith was now really curious.

“It's really easy sweetheart. If you excel at one thing, it comes always at the cost of another. Naminè and Olette are really close to what we are. Well, except for the loving part.” Tifa gave Aerith a short kiss on the last words.

“Olette can maintain two Keyblades. That means, she really excels at physical combat. Naminè is the complete opposite. That is just like we two. Kairi balances magic and physical ability. She is more of a jack of all trades, while the other two excel at their own domain. If we only could get Olette to stay and help us out... Naminè would anyway, seeing how she clings to Kairi. They would make a really good team I think,” Tifa finished her explanation.

Aerith was rather surprised. She didn't tend to think about things that way. After all, Olette most likely didn't want to stay here and would go home. Naminè, though, had nowhere to go.

Maybe it was a wink of fortune that those two appeared.

--Valiant Hearts--

“Aren't we there yet? I'm starting to get height issues,” Olette complained.

They were high over the living quarter from Hollow Bastion. Currently walking past one of the colossal looking balconies, they were more than three-quarters on the way to the top level of the outer wall.

There was no real way there. Although Kairi seemed to know where to step and how to move, the other two were a bit scared. They had passed the highest point indoors a few minutes ago and were now about to pass the last point before they could see where Kairi was leading them.

On top of Hollow Bastion, far above anything that would block ones view,there was a platform. It almost looked like it had been intended to be used as observation deck long ago, but the actual way up there had never been finished. Kairi had found this once on the look for a keyhole portal that lead to unexpected places, and had instead found this.

Kairi had stopped moving and seemed to wait for something. She was standing right in front of a deep abyss with no visible end.

“Don't you think it's a bit dangerous to climb up here just for this?” Olette asked and stopped right next to Kairi.

Naminè, quite puffed, couldn't get a word out and didn't even want to stand another minute and just sat down on a rock next to Kairi.

“It's not really dangerous once you know how you have to go. In a few minutes there should be a floating platform from the lower levels come by. I don't know why they never finished a actual way up here beside this, but you will see that the view is really worth climbing up here. Just don't tell Aerith and Tifa about this. I really like them but they sometimes worry too much about things like this,” Kairi said and gave both Olette and Naminè a really serious look.

“I wonder if my parents are worried about me, and my friends too,” Olette asked and looked on the ground.

But her town was most likely still frozen. And with that, her parents and friends too. What if the town stayed like that even when she had returned?

Naminè but had just to smile on Kairi's reminder.

“We can't stay too long. Maybe a ten minutes or one-quarter-hour but that's it. Leon will explode if we stay away for too long. I'm sure he is pretty much at his limit dealing with this.”

Kairi first looked at Naminè and then at Olette. Yes, he must be. It was really out of the blue that those two, almost at once, appeared and proven themselves as Keyblader. She herself was really surprised, especially how Naminè clung to her. Olette seemed to just want to go back to her town, while Naminè didn't seem likely to ever leave Kairi's side.

--Valiant Hearts--

“Leon, have you seen Kairi and the girls?” Tifa was asking the obviously annoyed man.

“No. And I hope that changes soon. We're not done yet,” he grumbled and his eyes seemed to gradually drill holes in the ground.

“Aerith! Leon didn't seen them either. Where could they have gone off to?” Tifa yelled outside the building.

Aerith, who didn't feel like yelling, came back in, which made Leon wonder why Tifa had yelled in the first place, and had a worried expression.

“Really, I wonder where they have gone off to. There wasn't any alarm, so they didn't leave Hollow Bastion, and there also shouldn't be any Heartless in the town. I don't want her to fight in her condition yet,” Aerith said and looked at the ceiling.

In the last few weeks, it happened occasionally that Kairi vanished without a trace and just came back with a really astounding expression. Where she was off to, she wouldn't say. It was always some excuse like “I was just wandering around. You must have missed me,” or something alike. Aerith knew that she sometimes worried too much, Tifa too, but that Kairi had secrets before her was something she didn't like in the slightest.

“We obviously can't continue the meeting with those three missing. It is bad enough that Kairi has gone off somewhere without notice, but the other two girls are also gone,” Leon muttered and looked over to Cid, who was working again on his terminal.

“Olette and Naminè,” Tifa said.

“What?” Leon had problems following the red line.

“Their names. They have names Leon. You aren't calling us “Kairi's foster parents” too when we're not around, are you?” Tifa complained further.

Leon rolled his eyes and looked even more annoyed than before. It was his decision to use whatever form he pleased and Tifa should finally stop complaining about every single thing he did or decided. She still seemed to gnaw on what happened long ago when they had freed Hollow Bastion.

“I'm not. You should stop jumping on me for whatever I say just because-” He was cut off by Aerith who slowly had pulled Tifa away from him.

“Let's look for her Tifa. See you later Leon,” she said and pulled Tifa more or less gently with her.

Cid turned around on his chair and gave first the door, then Leon a questioning look.

“Y'know, you just escaped a beating. Why the hell can you two not gotta get along a'ready? It ain't easy for Aerith either like that, y'know,” he said and Leon turned around.

“Mind your own business.”

“Ex'cuse me but that ain't only your business Leon.”

Without another word, Leon left the room and banged the door so hard that Cid was sure he had to repair it later.

--Valiant Hearts--

The observation deck was quite a place. It was surrounded by a giant glass wall that had one opening in each sky direction. Inside, there were no instruments but around the center a few benches to sit down. It was a bit cold up there but one could see the whole town and further, much further, into the horizon. It was almost like being beyond the clouds, like flying. The smoke that emitted from the castle didn't reach this height and the view was clear and free. The sun was about to set and the whole town was bathed in deep red light, and the horizon was a view one would never forget. The sky was red and yet not. It was more as if she was burning, the sun being the core and the flame slowly getting weaker up. Down, a deep red, color of a burning passion, above the color faintly weaker, showing a respect to the upcoming night sky.

“Every time I come here, I remember my real home. It is just a town, and a small island for me, but I still miss it. I like Hollow Bastion, I like the people here... but-” Kairi stopped and just continued to look in the sky.

“I know what it feels like. Some of it, at least. I'm here, and I even know you two just barely, not to mention those other people. All my friends, my family, my town, my world, everything seems so far away that it hurts. I really want to go back.” Olette paused. “Kairi, how much... how much of what they told me is true? The whole thing about my town, my world being artificial and all that. The whole Keyblade thing and those Nobody things they keep talking about. I feel that I can trust you. I don't think you'll lie to me, because you know what this feels like.”

She could feel that this put a lot of pressure on Kairi. It wasn't nice to tell one the truth about such things. And it wasn't easy either. Olette could feel how her throat was dry and that whatever Kairi would answer, would also be the truth.

“I can't say for sure. But we never, not even once and we have been to many worlds, encountered a event like that. The town wasn't frozen when we first entered. It suddenly happened a bit later. I can't really say when; there was no one around and I didn't have the time to pay attention on that either. There was also something odd about the portal. You see, normally, as soon as I leave the gateway, the portal closes. That is what happened with every portal so far. What Cid said really sounds odd. I can't think of a reason to hold a Keyblader imprisoned like that, unless of course it is done by the Heartless. But then... why didn't they just make you a Heartless? And I didn't find any Heartless in that world too. It just doesn't make sense to me. We can try to find a passage to Twilight Town but I can't promise you anything.” Kairi took a deep breath and gazed at the now almost gone sun.

“Do you dislike being here so much Olette? I know it's different for you and me, but I'm really happy to be here,” Naminè said and got closer to Kairi.

Kairi was a bit startled when Naminè clung to her arm and leaned against her. It was a bit awkward but she let it go for now.

“It's not that... I mean...” Olette didn't know how to answer this. It was less that she hated being in Hollow Bastion, it was more of hating not being in Twilight Town.

“Naminè, the first thing you remember is walking around a completely foreign town, right?” Kairi asked and looked at the girl that was still leaned against her. It was a torn feeling between a voice in her head that screamed awkward and one further inside that didn't object at all.

“Hm, yes. I guess that's why I can't understand Olette. For me, being here is what it must feel like coming home for you two. And you are here too Kairi. Especially that is what makes this place special to me,” Naminè said and even blushed slightly.

Olette had her own thoughts about that, while Kairi apparently didn't notice it or pretended not to see or heard it.

“I wonder if I can get home,” Olette said, and then continued to watch the sunset.

“I really would like to say “I promise I'll get you home” but I can't do that. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to go back to my own world. But one thing I can promise. I'll try my best to find a way to Twilight Town. I know how it feels to be away from one's home world, and I don't want anyone else to feel like that,” Kairi said and joined, still with Naminè on her side, Olette on viewing the sunset.

Minutes or hours went past, they couldn't say. It was just too amazing a view. The dark red sun that slowly vanished behind the horizon, and on the other side the moon that was ever so slowly showing his presence, showing up. So far up there, they could see the stars shining bright and clearly.

Kairi was feeling a bit awkward with Naminè constantly clinging to her. On one side, it was nice to have someone that close, on the other side, there were a thousand voices that screamed this was just downright wrong. The happy smile on Naminè's face was the only thing that prevented Kairi from freeing herself. It was bad enough that Olette felt bad; she didn't need Naminè to join that state.

“It's almost dark. Shouldn't we head back? I don't know how long we've been up here,” Olette said and tried to escape the now almost as amazing view of the moon that was moving up from the other side of the horizon

Kairi was taken back to reality in an instant. She had never stayed so long up there when there was a important meeting. On top of that, she had taken Olette and Naminè with her. Initially, she had wanted to think of a excuse for vanishing from view for so long with the girls, but she had totally busted it.

“Aerith and Tifa are going to behead me,” Kairi said and wanted to stand up, now finally noticing she had been practically cuddling with Naminè. A bit scared of what had been going on without her noticing, she freedherself a bit too fast and Naminè fell over.

“Ah, I'm sorry Naminè. But we need to go at once. I'm, or better, we three are in some serious misery if they ever find out where we have been,” Kairi said and tried to get rid of both awkward and happy,feelings at once. There was definitely something odd about Naminè.

Looking quite disappointed, Naminè got up and the three went back together. They took a entire different route, because one had to actually jump down from the moving platform when going up, so the same way was not eligible.

The way down was going much faster. They would chose a way inside and reached the bottom castle floor in a bit less than ten minutes.

“Any of you a good idea what to tell Aerith and Tifa where we have been? I don't,” Kairi said and looked like a child that just knew she was about to get in trouble with her parents.

“Hm, no.”

“What do you say usually?”

Kairi smiled a bit embarrassed.

“I just tell them I was taking a stroll. But I doubt they're going to believe it this time. After all, I've taken both of you with me. They looked for us for sure, and I doubt they're going to believe they missed all three of us all the time.”

“And they believe that? Wow, they sure trust you,” Olette said and had to laugh.

Naminè also giggled and found Kairi's nervous expression quite funny.

“Let's just go back for now. If we stay here any longer it's not going to help,” Olette suggested and looked around. “Which way is outside? This Castle is gigantic!” she complained.

Kairi pointed over to a big door at the end of the hall.

The three slowly were going to the town. About halfway, Olette stood still and seemed to have a great idea.

“That Castle really is big. How about we just pretend you showed us around in there and, ehm, Naminè got lost?” Olette suggested, innocent looking away when suggestion the one that got lost was Naminè.

“I won't leave Kairi's side,” Naminè said and looked just as innocent as before.

Olette hated to pretend she had gotten lost, but Kairi didn't seem to lie. The two women would really give her a hellfire.

“Okay, okay. You showed us the castle and I got lost. You found me in the end at.. ehm.. I was in that one room with the giant keyhole portal, okay?” Olette said.

“Sounds good. You went off looking for a Keyhole portal and got lost. I'm sure they're going to believe that,” Kairi said and relaxed a bit.

--Valiant Hearts--

“So, Olette got lost when she went off on her own to look for a keyhole portal and it took you two hours to find her?” Tifa summarized.

They had finally found the three. Aerith's analytic spell had revealed that they had indeed been in the castle. But she herself had looked all over it. It was a bit weird that she should have missed them every time.

“Kairi. We're just worrying about you. What if the Organization attacks you and we don't know where you are? And now, even Olette and Naminè had just vanished like that. From what it looks like, the Organization is also after her. Tell us where you're going the next time, okay?” Aerith said and was looking a bit disappointed in Kairi.

That look hurt Kairi more than she had hoped. She really didn't like to worry Aerith and Tifa like that; after all, they did their best to be like real parents to her.

“I... I promise I won't go off like that again,” Kairi said and looked ashamed on the ground.

“If it were up to me, I would ground you a month for this, so be happy Aerith is satisfied with just that miss. I can't really make rules for you two, but it won't help if you go off like that,” Tifa said and walked off, not without hitting a nearby wall so hard that the half building shook a bit.

“Tifa was really, really mad Kairi. Don't do this again, or at least chose another excuse,” Aerith said so quietly that it must be impossible for anyone but the girls to hear her.

“I only said to Tifa that you three were in the castle, but my analysis spells are really accurate. I know where you three were, and I can't resent you for being so late. It is really nice up there. but after this, you need to look out. I know you're almost seventeen, but still, we're worried about you. And about you two too. Naminè, Olette, the same what for Kairi goes, goes for you two. I'm going to calm down Tifa a bit. Leon insists like a lion that we continue the meeting even now. Hurry back to Merlin's house, I'll be there in a bit,” Aerith said and then went after Tifa.

“You really have nice parents,” Naminè said.

“Even though they're not my real parents, I do think of them as such,” Kairi said and walked towards the direction of Merlin's house.

“How did they come to... you know... have a relationship and all that?” Olette asked out of curiosity.

Kairi had to sigh. She didn't think much of Aerith and Tifa having a romantic relationship, but when outsider started to ask her about it, she always was a bit embarrassed to explain it.

“They're a couple, aren't they,” Naminè said, completely out of the blue.

Kairi nodded before she actually noticed what Naminè had said and was a bit surprised.

“Is it that obvious?” Kairi asked and looked at Naminè.

“Yes. It is really obvious. Was it a secret?“ Naminè replied.

“Tifa kissed Aerith right in front of my eyes. It really is obvious that they're having a romantic relationship Kairi,” Olette said and then looked over at Naminè.

The blond girl was steadily looking at Kairi. And that were the very same eyes that Aerith had when looking at Tifa. How did her own eyes look when she was looking at Kairi? Olette had pretended not to see, but she really was annoyed how bluntly Naminè was flirting Kairi.

“And here I am, completely embarrassed about it and you two already knew,” Kairi said and had to laugh. Afterwards, it always seemed so completely unnecessary to be embarrassed.

“Just in case, I don't think what they're doing is wrong. I know a few gay people in Twilight Town too, and... yeah,” Olette said.

Why the heck did she say that? It was completely unnecessary to say it. Did she want Kairi not to think badly or wrong of her? There really must be something wrong with her. But maybe she only wanted to get along with her. After all, if someone could get her home, it were those people here.

“I'm not sure, but I really think Tifa is bi. She had always been after Cloud, a childhood friend, and I think she was really in love with him. But Cloud is the most horrible human on a emotional scale you can imagine. It is always Sephiroth here and Sephiroth there, just to know, that is some immense powerful guy from his and Tifa's past. They even lived together, Cloud and Tifa that is, for a short period, but apparently Tifa didn't get him to open up in the slightest. Cloud is as cold and as blunt as a rock. Aerith once told me that Cloud had shown a bit interest in her, but she wasn't interested in him, and on top of that, she had always had a little thing for Tifa,” Kairi explained while they were walking.

She didn't know if it was really okay to tell those two all that, but they would find out eventually.

“Kairi, hey, Kairi!” Olette waved her hand in front of her face.

Kairi, completely lost in thoughts had stopped walking and just gazed into thin air. Olette had just gotten her back into reality, and was now laughing at what for a air head Kairi could be. It was odd. While the awkward but yet warm feeling from earlier with Naminè was one thing, seeing Olette like that was completely different but yet similar.

“I just got a bit lost in thoughts,” Kairi stammered and continued walking.

“So? What happened then?” Olette asked, even more curious than before. It seemed for her amazing that things worked out like that. Aerith was gay but Cloud seemed to like her, Aerith liked Tifa whom liked Cloud whom like Aerith. That was like one of these shows in T.V.

“Oh, right. Uhm, where did I left off?” Kairi asked.

“Aerith liked Tifa and Tifa was trying to get that Cloud guy to open up,” Naminè threw in.

“So, one day, Tifa was simply over it. She couldn't bear Cloud's attitude anymore and left the apartment they lived together at. Having nowhere to go, she asked Aerith whom she was good friends with to live with her. That was a few weeks after Aerith kind of adopted to a role of my mother,” Kairi said, a bit embarrassed. It really was weird, telling it to the girls like that.

“Well, you can surely think how things went after that. Aerith really has her charm, and I don't know when they started going out, but it only took a few weeks. They eventually told me about it a long time after I noticed and I had to laugh so hard. I've never seen Tifa embarrassed, you know, and she really was all shy and looking on the ground,” Kairi was now laughing and still trying to tell the story to an end.

Olette had to hold in and barely managed not to laugh while imagining a embarrassed Tifa. It was so much of a weird thought, that she couldn't help it but laugh.

Naminè was the only one that just smiled at the thought. She didn't understand why it was so funny, but it really was a relief to see Kairi laughing free like that.

“Yeah, I just pretended to be shocked and all until I couldn't hold in anymore and started to laugh. Tifa really would have beaten me if not Aerith hadn't calmed her down. I then explained I already knew and I didn't think that they should make it a secret. If Cloud didn't care at all about Tifa all that time, he wouldn't either now. And Yuffie had been on the track of suggesting that Tifa should just hook up with Aerith for a long time.” Kairi finished telling the story and stroked a tear from laughing from her eyes.

“That's one fascinating story, Kairi,” Olette said and finally had managed to stop laughing.

“Do you have any interest in girls?” Naminè asked out of the blue.

“What did you just ask?” Kairi first stopped, thinking she had simply misheard what Naminè had said.

Olette was, completely against her will, extremely curious about that as well. If Kairi was not, Naminè would really have a hard time here. If so... yeah, what if so? Would Kairi just accept Naminè's feelings and all that? Somehow, that bugged her even more than the opposite.

“Do you like girls? I mean, like Aerith and Tifa do. With both your parents like that, don't they expect you to feel the same way?” Naminè repeated.

Kairi had never thought about it that way. Aerith and Tifa wouldn't expect her to be gay just because they were themselves. They would rather encourage her to follow whatever her heart would say. But what did it say? Kairi was, until recently, the only Keyblader they had ever found. She didn't have time to think about stuff like that. Did she like girls? Maybe. Did she not? Also maybe.

Olette wanted to remind Naminè how impolite it was to ask something like that, but the urge to know was much greater than that.

“I don't know. I... have never thought about stuff like that. I was too busy fighting against the Heartless, and I am still,” Kairi stammered, getting a headache

Like before, there was the problem with her personality. She wanted to fulfill the expectations of her childhood friends, and if one of them liked her, they wouldn't be happy to find out that she either didn't like guys or had already a boyfriend or even a girlfriend.

“Then that's fine,” Naminè said and smiled happily at Kairi.

If Kairi had never thought about it, there just had to be a reason to think about it. At least, that was what Naminè was thinking.

Olette was kind of amazed at Naminè. Although she didn't say it clearly, Naminè had obviously a thing for Kairi. Everyone that wasn't completely blind must have noticed it. And Kairi must be pretending not to notice.

--Valiant Hearts--

“I don't like it when you go so easy on her,” Tifa said, sitting on a stair not so far away from Merlin's house.

Aerith was sitting right behind her, both arms laid around the other woman and playing with Tifa's hair.

It was a bit cold out, but they didn't feel it like that at all. Tifa was still angry at Kairi, but when it came to Aerith, her resistance melted away like snow in the sun.

The sun had sunk, and it was dark in the streets. Nobody could see them. There was no lantern nearby.

“You don't have to be so hard to her. She has a lot of problems, and that those two girls appeared doesn't make it easier for her. Say, did you use my shampoo again? Your hair smells different than usual, and that's not your shampoo,” Aerith knew that going on with that topic would only worsen Tifa's mood.

“No, I know you hate it when I do that,” Tifa now grinned and learned back, in Aerith's lap. She could see the starry sky, but more importantly, beneath that, the face of her lover in the darkness.

“So you do learn,” Aerith grinned back and laid one hand at Tifa's cheek. In all that confusion the last few days, they had been too exhausted and too busy to even share the nights. She really appreciated this moment.

“Well, I did use your new perfume the other day,” Tifa said, and could immediately feel how something was pricking her cheek.

“Ahh, I was kidding, I was kidding, really hon,” Tifa said while holding her cheek. Aerith was really, really particular about her stuff.

It was silent a moment, before Tifa reached out with her arms, knowing exactly how far she had to go, and after a moment, she had laid both arms around the neck of the other woman, trying to pull her down.

Aerith mumbled something and then gave in to the demand of her lover. She went down, closing her eyes and a bit bending over, and just blew a bit air on Tifa's cheek before she could feel the lips of her belovedone on her own.

Tifa really was a passionate kisser, and Aerith really liked that. She could feel Tifa's hot breath on her skin, and for once opened up first, her tongue finding her way into her mouth at once, playing the play they both loved. Tifa had loosened her grip, was now playing with Aerith hair, and could feel how the woman was lovingly fondling her sides.

Aerith had laid a darkness spell around them, so nobody could see them, not even if they walked right next to them.

When Aerith finally broke free from the kiss, both of them were breathing quite fast. Aerith fixed her hair, and Tifa had to smile. Although she couldn't see in the darkness, she knew what Aerith was doing. She would had liked to continue right here and now, but there was that annoying meeting they had to complete. At least, tonight, they would have time all for their selves.

--Valiant Hearts--

When everyone had finally come back to Merlin's house, it was already pitch black out. Leon was so annoyed that he just wanted to summarize what they knew up to know and decide what to do from now on.

“So, what do we know about Olette and Naminè. Olette is from Twilight Town, a relatively peaceful world that was somehow not attacked by Heartless. She is able to materialize two Keyblades, and from what Merlin told me earlier, completely unable to use magic, and even unable to learn them. We assume the world she is from is either an artificial one or a duplicate of a real world, but we don't know details. We will try to find a way back to her world, but if we fail, she has little choice but to stay here. I doubt that now, that she is fully aware of the Keyblade, the Heartless will remain from ravaging her world either” Leon said in a awful speed, to prevent anyone interrupting.

“Is that correct and does anyone have complaints?” he asked with a stinging gaze.

Olette just nodded. There wasn't much beside that they could do

Nobody had any complaints or wanted to add something.

“The first thing Naminè remembers is being at the World That Never Was, the headquarters of the Nobodies, the Organization XIII, and we know little of her. For now, she is able to wield a Keyblade, to make it worse, one that she got from Kairi. She meet Kairi during our raid on the Organization somewhere we don't know or have any data on it. She then showed up when Kairi, Aerith and Yuffie were on the exploratory mission in Twilight Town, here in Hollow Bastion, knowing a awful lot about us from a somewhat strange connection with Kairi and her dreams. For now, it is Aerith that is responsible to train her. We can't send her back anywhere; we don't even know where she is from. The major point is that she doesn't seem to go anywhere unless Kairi goes. Anyone have complaints or something to add?” Leon said and was about to change colors. He skipped even taking a break in that long explanation and wouldn't have be able to go much further.

“I want to stay with Kairi, that's all,” Naminè said and looked right next to her at Kairi that looked a bit embarrassed at that comment.

“But what do you mean with train?” Naminè asked.

“Aerith will explain that later to you.”

Leon then took a deep breath, so deep that he immediately coughed and earned grins from everyone.

“Last and with that we finish this damn meeting, what do we do now? I would appreciate if Tifa would train Olette for the time being. No matter if she has to stay or can go back home in a while, she will have to make use of her ability to use two Keyblades. And I'm sure for that much that she will be fighting Heartless if she goes back to her world. Regarding the Organization, we don't know their true goal yet. Merlin is already on his way to Castle Disney, where he will consult the King, to trade information. You all know that we're not the only ones that are up against the Heartless. But Castle Disney is very far away, so we are responsible for the worlds around here. Kairi, after a few days rest, I would like you to travel to a nearby World and look for clues on the Organization. That's all,” Leon finished and walked off as fast as he could without making it look like he was escaping.

He was tired and annoyed beyond any regular amount.

Yuffie left, knowing that in the next few days, there would be more exploratory jobs than usual for her. Cid followed shortly after. He had to continue early tomorrow his research and decoding on the data he had gotten from the Organization the other day.

Tifa left, followed by Aerith who stopped just before she left the room.

“Kairi, Olette and Naminè, I think this was enough for today. We all haven't eaten yet, so I'll make something.”

Kairi whispered to the other girls so that Aerith couldn't hear it.

“Tifa is a terrible cook. All her stuff is awful spicy. But Aerith really likes it.”

The girls giggled and earned a scolding look from Aerith.

“I expect you to be there in at worst twenty minutes,” Aerith said and left.

That was plenty of time to walk over to their house.

“I don't feel like getting in anymore trouble for today,” Kairi said and stoond up.

The room was awful empty, now that everyone had left. But this had been a long day.

“I don't either. Aerith seems to be really easygoing though. I'd be happy if my mother would be like that. I don't think Tifa is a bad person either, but her temper seems to be really bad,” Olette said and walked to the door.

“I think Tifa is just worried about Kairi. Aerith seems to really like her. She wouldn't if Tifa was a bad person I think,” Naminè said and immediately clung to Kairi, holding onto her arm.

Olette couldn't stand it. Annoyed about herself, she left and waited outside for Kairi.

“Naminè... can you... stop this?” Kairi asked and looked outside the window.

It was one thing that Naminè had clung to her today. Maybe she did it because she really had longed for her, for whatever reason. But this was already plenty of nearness. Kairi didn't have the time nor the experience to deal with something like this.

Surprisingly, Naminè didn't seem to be really offended. Her expression was a bit of being disappointed, but she didn't seem to be angry with Kairi.

Outside, Olette was spying on them, with a really bad remorse. She usually didn't mingle in other peoples business, but she was rather curious what they were talking about.

Olette showed a really evil grin when Kairi said something, she just couldn't understand it from there, and Naminè just nodded and let her go. It wasn't really nice to show that much mischievousness, and deep inside she felt a little bit bad for Naminè.

However, Kairi was about to go outside, and Olette left her spot and leaned against the wall next to the door.

“Didn't you leave already?” Kairi asked when she saw Olette outside right next to the door.

“This town isn't small. I have no idea where your house was,” Olette said and although it was a excuse, it was completely true.

They didn't say anything and just walked next to each other towards the house.

Olette was surprised, but Naminè had indeed stopped clinging to Kairi, even though she still gazed at her. It was rather obvious that the blond girl definitely liked Kairi. But it seemed to be a one-sided thing.

Kairi could hardly focus her thoughts. Those two would soon comprehend that this was no simple game. That there was no escape from this. But it wasn't her place to say those things, nor was it anyone else's. They had to understand it by themselves.

But it was also nice. It had only occurred as minor matter to Kairi at first, but this series of events meant above all that she was not the only Keyblader anymore. There was Naminè, whom had apparently a huge magical potential, and Olette, whom managed the astonishing feat of maintaining two Keyblades at once as if it was a simple matter.

The only problem was that they had no idea what they had gotten themselves into.

Onwards to Part 8


Back to Valiant Hearts II Index - Back to Kingdom Hearts Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction