Ame no Murakumo ga Miteru: Red String (part 2 of 8)

a Kannazuki no Miko fanfiction by DezoPenguin

Back to Part 1

Himeko walked steadily up the winding steps that led up the hill to Ototachibana Academy. She was sure there was some reason why it was built there, possibly for some mystic symbolism or perhaps just because it looked impressive in photographs and news stories, but she definitely would have been happier if she didn't have to climb several hundred steps to get to the top. That was one thing she hadn't missed about living in Mahoroba.

I'll pretend I'm a hero on a quest! If I get to the top, I can be with Chikane-chan! Chikane was, after all, a kind of princess, so she thought the metaphor worked.

There were other students on the stairs, of course, some coming from town like Himeko and others from the school dorms. Some walked alone, others in pairs, and still more in clusters of friends, most faster than Himeko and a few slower. Many of them turned to look when they passed or were passed by her. She found that a little surprising, since she'd always been a bit of a shrinking violet who didn't attract attention. Only when she began to listen to what people were saying, sometimes in hissed whispers and other times in normal, even raised voices, did it start to make sense to her.

"That's her, isn't it?"

"I can't believe it!"

"She's the one who...?"

"It's true; I saw it myself!"

"Kasuga-kun told me that..."

"But...Miya-sama?"

"How could she do that to her?"

"I'm jealous!"

"It's disgusting!"

"How could someone like that...?"

Chikane had kissed her right out in the open, making no secret of it. Himeko had told her love that they could be open or hidden about their relationship as Chikane chose, and Chikane had chosen to conceal nothing.

"I think it's romantic!"

"What do they think they're doing?"

"This isn't some all-girls school, where they can play those kind of games."

Rumor, it seemed, traveled fast. Himeko should have expected it; while she herself might not draw second looks, Chikane was the heiress of the Himemiya family, the student council president, the kendo team captain, the top-ranked student, and besides all that her beauty, elegance, and grace made her the school idol. It had been no different in the lifetimes when Chikane lacked social postion; she was always Miya-sama by force of character alone.

No wonder it took most of a lifetime to convince me that she could love me, Himeko thought. "Dating out of her league" didn't even begin to cover it. And yet it was Chikane who was the fragile one, Chikane who in so many ways was desperately dependent on Himeko. Like yin and yang, their strengths complemented each other, providing for when the other was weak.

"Hey!"

Himeko windmilled for balance, having been so lost in thought that she'd walked right into another girl.

"Oh! I'm sorry," she apologized as she stabilized herself, wobbling but staying upright.

"You think you're so high and mighty that you can just walk through people when they're talking to you?"

Himeko blinked. The girl had been talking to her?

"I'm sorry," she repeated. "I didn't hear you."

This just seemed to make her angrier. She scowled at Himeko, her hands planted on her hips. Her corkscrew curls, a dirty-blonde or light brown shade, quivered with her irritation.

"Do you hear that, girls? She doesn't even acknowledge when other people are talking to her! She thinks that just because she got her hooks into Miya-sama, that she can do whatever she wants!"

Himeko realized that the curly-haired girl wasn't alone; she was flanked by a petite girl with short green hair and a taller, curvier one who had a thin, angular face emphasized by her long brown French braid.

"If someone like you thinks they can put their hands on Miya-sama, you've got another think coming," the leader snapped. "A disgusting pervert who waltzes into our school and thinks that she can just act like that! Miya-sama may be too polite to put you in your place, but we won't let you take advantage of her good nature."

Now Himeko understood. These were some of Chikane's fans, girls who idolized her in the same way as they would an actress or music star. They were probably a little bit in love with her themselves, or at least with the illusion of her that they'd built up in their own minds, but it was really more of a case of admiration, idealization. The idea of Miya-sama having a homosexual relationship, or of dating anyone, really, who wasn't themselves special and spectacular, appalled them, like splashing mud on a painting. They didn't want to believe their idol could have feet of clay and so would bully and abuse anyone who threatened to spoil their image of the perfect Miya-sama. Himeko knew their type pretty well by now; Chikane had attracted them through multiple lifetimes.

"You really don't understand Chikane-chan at all, do you?" Himeko said, shaking her head. She felt a little sorry for these girls, whose feelings were so intense but based on nothing more than a delusion, a ghost that Chikane had created to keep people at bay. Even in this new life, where Chikane had found real friends instead of living solely through Himeko, things like this happened.

"'Chikane-chan!'" the green-haired girl yelped. "What presumption, to call Miya-sama 'Chikane-chan' like she was one of your commoner friends!"

"We should teach her a lesson, Otoha-chan," the girl with the braid agreed.

The leader nodded sharply.

"She needs one, that's plain." Her hand flicked out and swatted Himeko's schoolbag out of her hand. It popped open when it hit the stone steps, spilling books and papers. The three girls closed in, and Himeko tried to figure out what she should do, but was saved the trouble.

"Oi! What, is your little rat pack up to no good again, Otoha?"

The three fangirls spun to see who'd spoken. A few steps up, a tall girl with close-cut black hair was sneering contemptuously at them, her arms crossed over her chest. She wasn't "pretty" in the conventional sense, but the strong lines of her face made her striking and attractive in an androgynously handsome way.

"I've told you before about pulling this crap with people. Are you too stupid to listen or just too crazy to stop yourself?"

"What business is it of yours, Ohgami-kun?" the leader sneered at her. "While I'd expect a butch like you to stick up for a pervert like this, I—"

In a flash, Ohgami's hand was fastened around Otoha's wrist.

"I'd suggest you drop it right there," she snapped. Himeko could tell that she was applying pressure; it was all Otoha could do to keep from whimpering. "Got it?"

"I...I..." She yanked her hand back. "Don't think we'll forget this, Ohgami Shizuka!" Otoha yelped to protect her pride, and the three fangirls scampered on up the stairs. A few spontaneous cheers burst out from the students around them, and one boy called out, "That's telling those bitches, Ohgami-san!" which made Himeko blush.

"Here, let me help with that," Ohgami said, bending over to pick up some of Himeko's school belongings. The two girls quickly got everything picked up and stuffed back into Himeko's bag. "Oh, and I'm Ohgami Shizuka, but you can just call me Arrow." So this was the Arrow that Chikane and Alice had mentioned! She handed the packed bag back to Himeko, but kept on staring at her for a long moment.

"Um, is there something on my face?"

"Nah." She shook her head as if to clear it. "It's just...I mean, you're real, right? Alice told me how you looked just like how Himemiya said you would, but it's just too damn weird to believe, y'know? She even got the name right! It is Kurusugawa-san, right?"

"You can call me Himeko, Arrow-san," the blonde offered.

"Thanks; your family name's kind of a mouthful."

"I suppose it is. Thank you very much for helping me, Arrow-san."

She waved a hand.

"Nah, no problem. Alice and I have to remind those twits this isn't some shoujo manga cliché world every so often. Breaks up the monotony."

"Um, would you do me another favor, then, Arrow-san, and please don't tell Chikane-chan anything about this?"

Arrow laughed.

"Hell, Himeko, you didn't even need to ask that one. Bodies are heavy, and as a friend I'd have to help hide them, y'know."

Himeko grinned back.

"Oh, good, you do understand." A couple of lifetimes ago, she reflected, they wouldn't have been joking.

"Once in junior high, some stupid bitch went and spread a bunch of nasty lying rumors about Alice because she's Canadian or something equally idiotic and Himemiya pretty much made it impossible for her to exist at school; she transferred out within a week. I don't even want to know what she'd do if she ever wanted to get down to serious revenge."

"She's very fierce in protecting the people she cares about," Himeko agreed, deciding to spare Arrow some of the specifics. Besides, it wasn't like the things she did during Kannazuki really counted, since the two priestesses were the only ones who remembered the events of the Godless Month after time rewound and the world was remade. Wanting to change the subject, she said, "Your nickname is very unusual, Arrow-san. Are you an archer?"

"Me? Nah, I do karate. It's just Himemiya, Alice, and Nanase who call me that, but I figure you count, too."

"Nanase?"

"Nanase Saya."

"Oh, Arisu-chan's..."

"Girlfriend, yeah. They're my best friends, and the people I hang out with most often, but while Himemiya and Nanase are lesbians and Alice goes both ways but is dating a girl, I'm straight—"

"—as an arrow!" Himeko figured out, clapping her hands in a childish gesture of glee.

Arrow chuckled.

"Yep. Hard as it may be to believe, I'm strictly interested in boys."

Himeko shook her head.

"It isn't hard at all. Just because a person looks or acts a certain way doesn't mean that they have to have a certain set of other preferences."

"Now if somebody could only teach the guys around here that lesson." She sighed. "The ones who don't think I swing your way figure I'm not into anything girly. Himemiya doesn't even like guys and she could kick all their butts lots faster than I ever could, but they still line up to ask her out."

"Well, Chikane-chan really is beautiful and elegant, just like a real princess, so it's only natural that the boys would...want...to..."

Arrow groaned.

"You, too?"

"Sorry!" Himeko's hands fluttered frantically. "I didn't mean it like that, honestly I didn't!"

"You're not saying anything I didn't know already. 'Shizuka'—ha! I think my parents were testing out their sense of humor when they named me that."

Himeko had to admit that Arrow didn't seem very quiet at all, but decided to say nothing this time. She also decided that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to mention that Arrow reminded her very much of another Ohgami, from one of her past lives. Even though Souma had been brave, smart, good at sports, and very kind—a real prince who'd had the bad luck to fall for a girl who preferred a princess—somehow Himeko didn't think Arrow would be comforted to be compared to a boy.

"Come on, let's get to class," the dark-haired girl invited. "I figure you'll be enough of a spectacle for everybody without walking in late."

Himeko almost got lost on her way to homeroom, but Arrow got her pointed in the right direction. She wondered if all of Chikane's friends knew about their past lives together; it would be really embarrassing if they knew she had the memories of three lifetimes attending this school and still couldn't always find her way around.

Chikane was already waiting at her seat, calmly reading a textbook. There were more than a few whispers and glances being directed at her as well, though not quite so many as Himeko had received. She looked up as Himeko approached, though, and the blonde's heart caught in her throat all over again.

"Good morning, Himeko."

"Good morning, Chikane-chan."

Chikane extended her hand; Himeko took it and squeezed, the gesture as intimate as a kiss or caress. For sixteen years she'd had to sustain herself on memories alone, so that now each touch of skin on skin was a thrill. It was with distinct regret that she let the hand go to slip into her seat and began unpacking her books.

"Did you have a good night?" Chikane asked.

"Uh-huh. I missed you, though. Do you think we could do something today after school?"

Chikane's face fell.

"I'm sorry, Himeko; I have kendo practice. I'm the team captain, so I can't back out without notice."

"Oh, I see."

"Actually, though..." Chikane began, then hesitated.

"Yes, Chikane-chan?"

"You haven't signed up for a club yet, have you, Himeko?"

"No, not yet."

"Then why not try out for the kendo team?"

Himeko blinked.

"Me?" She pointed at herself in disbelief. "I've never been any good at sports, Chikane-chan; you know that."

Chikane smiled brightly at her.

"I know, but I think you'll be all right at this one. And it means that we can spend more time together each day."

That did sound nice. It was funny; Alice had mentioned something about this at lunch yesterday, too, Himeko recalled. That meant that Chikane had been thinking about it for a while, even before Himeko had actually come to Mahoroba. And it wasn't like one try could hurt anything.

"All right; I'll try it, if you really think it'll be okay. But I warn you, I've always been really awful in gym class and at school sports festivals. That hasn't changed, not through any of our lifetimes."

Chikane smiled at her, one of her shining-bright, light-up-the-room smiles, and Himeko felt her toes curl. I missed her so much! she thought, momentarily overwhelmed.

"I know, but just trust me, all right?"

"All right." She paused, then added, "Is this one of your sneaky plans?"

"Plans? Would I have something like that?" Chikane's smile changed to a smug, knowing smirk.

"I knew it," the blonde moaned, making her girlfriend giggle.

Himeko did trust Chikane; the dark-haired girl was far smarter than she was, but at the same time she didn't assume that Chikane was always right or perfect. She'd idolized Chikane as much as the fangirls did, once, and learning to recognize the woman herself had been one of her most important lessons. Plus, if Chikane-chan's plans always worked, we wouldn't be together now! And she wasn't feeling very confident about this plan, either, when she stepped into the kendo club's practice room after school. Her feet caught on the edge of a mat and she found herself doing a classic faceplant in front of the entire team.

Alice Ishida helped her up, while all around her girls stared and whispered.

"Isn't that the one who—?"

"They say she was kissing Miya-sama yesterday!"

"What's she doing here?"

"Is she here to watch Miya-sama?"

"But she's dressed for practice—and Ishida-chan is helping her pick out gear!"

Himeko distinguished herself further by managing to drop the mask on her toe, she was so nervous.

"Excuse me, but what do you think you're doing?"

"I'm helping Kurusugawa-chan with her protective gear, sempai," Alice replied to the stern-faced girl who'd challenged them.

"Kurusugawa?" the older student asked, tapping her bamboo shinai against one shoulder.

"Kurusugawa Himeko, second-year student," Himeko introduced herself.

"This is Oomori Naomi, our deputy captain," Alice provided.

"That covers the 'who' and the 'what.' I'm still waiting for the 'why.'"

"Chikane-chan asked me to come to club practice today," Himeko said. Oomori blinked at her.

"You say 'Chikane-chan' asked..." Her voice trailed off as she put two and two together. "You're the girlfriend everyone's talking about, aren't you? What is Himemiya-buchou thinking? You look like you've never done this before."

"I...haven't, Oomori-sempai."

"Then why are you here? We don't need any more rookies in the club, and from the look of you, you'll be weeks before you're even capable of that! Just because you're dating the team captain—"

"It's because I'm dating her that I'll know she'll be a benefit to the club."

"Chikane-chan!"

"I'm sorry I'm late, Himeko." She was dressed in full uniform, her mask under her arm and carrying two curved wooden swords, bokken, the kind used in kenjutsu practice rather than kendo. "I'd forgotten where we kept these," she added with a sheepish look.

"What are those for, buchou?"

"A demonstration, Oomori-san," Chikane said. "You wondered, rightly, why I'd invite my girlfriend to join the club when she'd never done kendo before."

Alice winked at Himeko for Chikane openly calling Himeko her girlfriend.

"I thought it would be easier to show everyone." She handed Himeko one of the bokken. "Shall we, Himeko?"

"What? Oh. Oh!" Himeko finally understood. "But I don't want to hurt you, Chikane-chan."

Oomori blinked in surprise. Even Alice looked surprised. Chikane grinned.

"I'll try not to let that happen."

She clapped her hands.

"Everyone! Before we begin today's practice, I would like to introduce you to Kurusugawa Himeko, whom I'm hoping to convince to join us. I know that you have questions about why I'd be trying to recruit someone, so I thought a demonstration match would explain best. Now, Kurusugawa-san has never practiced kendo before, so we'll be using these instead." She held up her bokken. "No rules; three strikes to the head or torso. Will that be acceptable, Himeko?"

"Could we rule out the head? I don't think these masks are enough protection for that."

Chikane nodded.

"You do have a point. All right."

The club members watched eagerly as the two girls stepped to the center of the practice area and donned their masks before taking up their initial stances, both hands on the hilts of their swords.

Then, quick as lightning, Chikane struck. Himeko's sword came up, barely blocking it before Chikane was already into a feint-and-cut combination. Himeko blocked that one, too, actually recovering a bit by recognizing the feint for what it was and ignoring it to set up her parry.

Of course she was right, Himeko thought to herself as the swords echoed off one another in loud clacking sounds. We are the Sword Priestesses of Ame no Murakumo. It didn't matter that Himeko was a lousy athlete or had never done kendo before. She had lifetimes of experience with the sword echoing up through her soul, everything second nature to her. It was funny, in its own way; she knew that Chikane was a master with sword or dagger or bow, but somehow Himeko had never realized that it applied in any way to herself as well.

When they came together in a clash of swords again, they were no longer just Chikane and Himeko, but Solar and Lunar Priestesses, the practice bout a shadow of the shrine maidens' deadly dance. The club could see it too, realized that they were seeing something special even if not perceiving its exact meaning. Muttered, doubting comments had turned to gasps, looks of suspicion to slack-jawed awe as the swords wove a wooden net in the air, a percussive drumbeat of blade on blade echoing through the room.

In the end, it wasn't skill but wind that settled things, Himeko's tiring muscles and burning lungs no longer able to stand the pace her mind was setting. Chikane scored twice, quickly, and took the bout three hits to one. Himeko dropped to her knees and yanked off the mask, panting for air, while Chikane removed her own to reveal a beaming smile, her hair matted to her forehead with perspiration.

In the next minute, the club members burst into applause. It was Alice who started it, of course, but the stern deputy captain, Oomori, was the second to begin clapping. Chikane bent and extended a hand, helping her lover back to her feet. Looking back and forth at the awed faces of the "audience," Himeko flushed roughly the same hue as a tomato.

"That was incredible!" the irrepressible redhead whooped, coming up to clap Himeko on the shoulder.

"It was?"

"Himeko, nobody's scored a point off Miya-buchou since junior high, in practice or competition. Nobody! And she had to wear you down before she could beat you; if you'd been in better shape, anything could have happened!"

Oomori nodded, coming up to join them.

"I owe you both an apology, Himemiya-buchou, Kurusugawa-san. Though I wish you'd told us, buchou."

Chikane grinned broadly, humor dancing in her eyes.

"Would you have believed me if I'd told you how good she was with a sword? Indeed, I don't think that she quite believes it herself, even now."

It was kind of hard to, Himeko had to admit. Chikane always took part in competitions—archery, tennis, equestrian events in her past life, kendo and probably others in the present one—so she'd know how she compared to other students. Himeko, though, only used her sword in real battle with the demons of Yamata no Orochi. Chikane was the only standard she had to measure herself against, so she hadn't really understood what that meant until now.

She still wasn't sure that she liked the idea of joining the team; her interests had always been artistic rather than athletic, and she didn't have Chikane's competitive streak, the desire to win against an opponent. But it would be fun if she could stand alongside Chikane and help her succeed instead of just cheering her on from the stands. And whatever else was going on, Chikane had invited her for a reason, a reason Himeko suspected was more than just "help the team win tournaments" or even "spend some extra time with me." She'd find out what it was later, but she trusted Chikane's judgment.

So, when Alice asked her, "Does this mean you're going to be joining the kendo team, Himeko?" she smiled widely and nodded.

"Mmn!"

Chikane positively beamed at hearing her answer.

Onwards to Part 3


Back to Ame no Murakumo ga Miteru: Red String Index - Back to Kannazuki no Miko Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction