King's Heart (part 9 of 31)

a Final Fantasy 8 fanfiction by FFEverShadow

Back to Part 8 Untitled Document

The Cold Loner

Xu lay in her bed wondering what was to become of the rest of her life. She knew that her comrades would sense the sadness when she returned to her office. They weren’t SeeD for nothing. It was so cold, she realized, without someone and not just anyone beside her. She remembered the gentle warmth that being beside Quistis generated. She didn’t understand why Quistis had to be so self-reliant. It hurt her so much to see her suffer alone. Xu stood up and walked out the door, only to bump into Quistis. Her heart stopped, perhaps it was fate. The instructor was clad in peach colored pjs.

“Sorry.” She apologized.

“What are you doing up so late?” Xu asked as gently as possible.

“Couldn’t sleep.” Quistis replied, not looking at her. They stood there in silence for a while and Xu thought she was going to die from it. “Xu…actually I wanted to talk to you. I never got a chance to explain…”

“Don’t.” Xu said quickly. “I understand. You’re busy, there’s havoc going on. I know you never had time for a relationship. It was my fault for even starting it.” Quistis thought she was going to break apart at Xu’s words.

“It’s not your fault. I just…right now…” She sighed. “I had a dream. In it, Ultimecia was carrying your body. Except, she wasn’t the one who killed you, I was. And then Hyne appeared and said that you would die if I didn’t distance myself. He told me that if I continued living, then I would eventually aid Ultimecia into her rise.”

“That’s bullshit!” Xu yelled, startling her. She was never one to curse but the situation called for it. “Quistis, you’re going to believe some dream over your feelings!”

“The voices too. Right now there’s so much going on that even if I wanted to start a relationship everything would fall apart.” She replied.

“I know, I’m confused too. Everything began so great.”

“We can still be friends.” Quistis offered. Xu forced a smile and nodded. That was always how things ended. “We can still be friends” were the words that she had grown used to but coming from someone that she cared about more than Ultimecia, more than herself, her rank, everything was just too much.

“Well, I’m just going to bed…ok?” Quistis said. She gave a brief smile before making her way down the hallway. Xu leaned against her doorway, tears already shining in her eyes and she forgot why she had even exited her room.


Quistis woke up feeling sadder and lonelier than ever. Perhaps Xu was right, maybe she shouldn’t listen to the voice and her dreams. She had just thrown away something important; Xu. In her heart, she knew she loved her and just seeing her doubt that was too much. She rolled out of bed and took a cold shower, no longer able to distinguish the difference between the water coming out of the shower head and the tears running down her cheeks. As she got out, she checked the clock. There was only one hour before she had to meet up with the others on their journey to Dollet. She walked out of the room, half expecting Xu to be there waiting for her with a smile but instead all she saw was the gray mist of the early morning obscuring most of her view. She sighed and took the first step into the new day.

Xu wasn’t in the cafeteria either. She’s probably still sleeping, Quistis thought. She didn’t understand why she had to go along on the mission. She was an instructor again. But obviously Squall wanted her to go along just in case there was something serious.

“Instructor Trepe!” Mira, one of the youngest students in her class waved her hand in the air as she neared.

“Miss Yrate, what are you doing up so early?” The student cocked her head to one side in confusion.

“It’s six o’clock. All students usually get up this early to go to the training center. Are you feeling all right?” Quistis shook her head and smiled at her pitiful state.

“Yes, I’m perfectly fine. I’m just a little sleepy I guess.” She chuckled.

“There’s been a rumor going around that there’s a very dangerous person that Headmaster Cid is taking care of. Is it true?” Mira asked.

“That’s classified information. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to leave. There’s a mission that Commander Leonhart wants me to join in on. You’ll have substitute Aki for substitute.” Instantly, the girl blanched.

“Not Instructor Aki! He’s the meanest of the instructors! You can’t be serious, Instructor Trepe!” She whined.

“Just follow his directions fully and everything will be all right.” She left the panicked girl alone in the cafeteria. The others were waiting for her outside the gate. She and Zell were the last to arrive.

“It’ll be just like old times! We’re going on really risky missions, putting our lives on the line to save innocent people!” Selphie squealed happily. Irvine put an arm around her to steady the ball of hyperactive energy.

“I don’t recall putting our lives on the line being fun.” Quistis remarked.

“It’s excitement!” Selphie replied quickly.

“Rollercoasters are excitement too.” Zell muttered. Cid and Edea walked over to them. Little Adel was beside them. Everyone went silent and lined up in respect for their Headmaster.

“At ease.” Cid said and everyone loosened up a bit but it was obvious that they were uneasy at the sight of Adel. Quistis especially couldn’t relax because Adel had her eyes on her, smirking like there was some dark secret she wasn’t sharing.

“Cid and I will be heading back to the orphanage today. We’ll be staying there unless there is a dire emergency. I’m sure than Squall will be able to take care of things here.” Edea said calmly. “We’ll be taking Adel with us.”

“We’ll ask some of the SeeD to go with you.” Irvine offered. Edea waved off the suggestion.

“It’s not necessary. I’m sure we’ll be fine on our own. What you need to focus on is the mission.” She answered.

“That’s right. As you know, the mayor of Dollet has sent a request for SeeD. The suspicious personnel have been identified as Galbadian soldiers. They appear to be searching for someone. We suspect that it may be Adel. The mayor wants you to go and rid them of the soldiers.” Cid explained.

“Understood.” Squall replied firmly. “Come on.” He saluted and they got in their cars. The girls got in one car and the guys got in the other. They drove off in the direction of Balamb where they were to take the train to Dollet. Squall remembered his first mission in Dollet. That was where it all began. He obtained the SeeD rank 8 and met Rinoa and their adventure began. It was all beginning again.

Onwards to Part 10


Back to King's Heart Index - Back to Final Fantasy 8 Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction