King's Heart (part 10 of 31)

a Final Fantasy 8 fanfiction by FFEverShadow

Back to Part 9 Untitled Document

That Bitter Taste in Your Mouth

Quistis stayed mostly silent throughout the trip to Dollet. While Selphie was busy prattling on about how perfect this was that the entire group was going on a mission, everyone but Irvine had fallen asleep.

“Quisty! They’re being mean!” Selphie whined.

“They’re tired and it’s been a long week. Let them sleep. You can tell them later.” Quistis said gently. Selphie frowned and scooted over next to her, shoving Zell off the seat. Even though he landed with a resounding thud, he kept sleeping.

“Quisty…you haven’t been acting like yourself lately. Are you ok? I thought that little vacation would’ve helped you.” She said sadly.

“It did, really.” Quistis lied. “There’s been a lot going on. You don’t have to worry about me, honest.” Selphie pouted.

“You do that to us Quisty…you shove us out of your life. We’re here to help you and you just take us for granted.” She sniffed. Irvine looked at Quistis, panicked that he would have to deal with her. “We try so hard to make you happy…and you just…” Selphie gave her puppy-dog eyes. “You just disregard everything we do.”

“Selphie…” Quistis wasn’t going to fall for something like this. “I do appreciate what you do for me.”

“We set you up with wonderful guys and they’re never good enough for you.” She began tearing.

“Erg…” Quistis couldn’t think of anything else to shut the girl up. “What if I told you a little about my past; something that no one knew?” Selphie’s eyes went wide.

“Oooo! Stories!!” She sat up straight and dried her fake tears.

“Well, I haven’t been single all my life you see…there was this one guy…”

Flashback!

Quistis ran through the hallways, late for class. She was never late for class but at the very last minute, they had changed her class. She was under the supervision of the Garden’s new Instructor, Arik Mesh. He had just recently been transferred from the Galbadia Garden and was supposedly and old wrinkly man with a huge temper. Quistis rushed into class. She placed her hands on her knees and looked at the floor, trying to catch her breath. Her peers watched her closely.

“I’m so sorry Instructor. They changed my time to fit my class…I mean, my fit class to change my time, erg…” The other students giggled. Xu watched amused at her efforts to speak normally. Quistis closed her eyes, waiting for the impending doom that was to befall her for being five minutes late, not to mention the humiliation she had to face once class was over. Xu would never let her live this down because not once had she been late nor spoken so irregularly.

“That’s alright. I understand.” A young male voice said. She looked up, wondering if it was a substitute.

“Instructor Mesh?” she asked timidly.

“Yes, that’s me. You just missed the introduction.” He replied with a smile. He had a neat brown hair combed forward and gelled, similar to Zell’s. He was young, handsome and nice…apparently the opposite of the rumors.

“I’m sorry sir.”

“That’s alright. Take a seat. Luckily, you didn’t miss anything important.” She sat down next to Xu who passed her a note. She opened it cautiously.

Ho man, Quisty, I thought you had lost your mind. “My fit class?” Honestly, Quisty, I’d never thought I’d hear you say something like that. Perfect Quisty? No way. But seriously, onto other matters. Isn’t Instructor Mesh a little bit on the cute side? Ok. I lied, a lot on the cute side. Quistis made a disgusted face at her. Only Xu would think of something like that.

“I take it my class is disgusting you, Miss Trepe?” Instructor Mesh walked up to her and plucked the note out of her hand. Quistis closed her eyes in anger and mouthed, “Shoot.” He opened the note. “Passing notes now…really, judging by your record as being one of Balamb’s top students, I had expected better. I’ll spare you the humiliation of reading this note out loud…” Quistis could’ve sworn he saw a faint blush creep up his cheeks. “But you will stay after class during lunch and after second class and help me…oh…clean the desks.” He smiled again and resumed teaching. Xu tried her best to suppress a giggle but Quistis glared with hatred at her.

Class was really no more interesting but luckily, it was no less. As soon as it was over, students ran out of the room, eager to get to lunch. Xu waved and skipped out, glad to have gotten “perfect Quisty” in trouble. Quistis sat, sulking in her seat while her stomach growled. Instructor Mesh walked over and held out a sandwich.

“You look hungry.” He said.

“Huh?” she looked up. He offered it to her.

“Go on, I’m not going to make you starve.” She took the sandwich gratefully and ate in silence. “I’m not going to judge you just on our first impression. Don’t worry, I think that this is just your off day.” She nodded. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad after all…

….

Months past and Quistis stayed after just to chat. She had come to like Instructor Mesh, as a friend but she would never admit to anyone that she had a crush on him. She was convinced that this was just a phase and would soon pass. But that crush manifested itself into love and she found herself pining during the hours where she didn’t see him. Even Xu began to notice.

“Quisty, correct me if I’m wrong but you seem down lately,” she said. Quistis’s blood ran cold.

“Ah, it’s nothing. I’m just a little worried about my SeeD exam. I’m taking it next year and seeing as you’ve already graduated…”

“Quistis, I’m years older than you. If you graduate next year I’m going to be surprised.” She said. “Really, what’s bugging you?”

“I’m fine, really. Hey, I’m going to Balamb for a little fresh air, you think you need anything? A weapon upgrade or something? Maybe a magazine or two?”

“A naughty magazine please.” Xu said calmly. Quistis’s eyes bulged and Xu broke into laughter.

“Relax, I’m just joking,” she reassured. “I’d never send you to buy one. Besides, you wouldn’t know which one I like.” Quistis gave a half-hearted laugh, not knowing whether she was joking or not. She waved goodbye and set off on the trek to Balamb.

She loved the ocean. She always had a good feeling around oceans. Instead of going to Balamb, she sidetracked to the beach. She couldn’t remember much about her past except being near the ocean and feeling happy around it.

“Well, well, imagine finding you here.” She turned around to see Instructor Mesh walking towards her, his arms full of groceries.

“Let me help you with that.” She said getting up. Her heart raced.

“Thanks. Just set them down.” He gave a sigh of relief and sat down beside her. “You have no idea how vulnerable I am to monsters when I’m carrying those.” She smiled. “So, what brings you out here?”

“Nothing, I’m bored I guess. Xu wanted me to buy her a naughty magazine, but she was just joking.”

“I should hope so,” he laughed. She blushed a little. I hate being this young…she thought to herself. Silly emotions…grr…

“Hey, Instructor, do you have a girlfriend?” she bit her tongue but it was too late. He looked at her, half amused, half surprised.

“Well, uh, no. Actually, I’m swamped in work and I guess I just haven’t found that special someone yet. It’s not that big of a deal to me…” he said unconvincingly. She giggled. “What’s so funny? Is it because I’m an old bachelor?”

“No,” she laughed. “It’s not that. It’s just that you sound just like I imagined what an instructor would say.”

“What about you then? I know it’s a personal question but a young, pretty girl like you should have guys with résumés in hand…” Quistis looked at the ocean and sighed.

“I’ve been so busy with work and striving to be the best that I’ve just let life pass me by. I mean, Xu’s not that much better but she has some traces of a social life.” She replied. She looked at him. He really was handsome and she couldn’t help but blush. She realized that she was in love and if she didn’t tell him, she’d go insane. Instructor Mesh stood up reluctantly.

“I’ve got stuff to do, papers to grade, you know.” He sighed. Quistis stood up as well, reaching for one of the bags.

“Let me help you. You said it yourself that you’re vulnerable to monsters.” She argued. He smiled at her and accepted her offer. They walked back towards the Garden. Quistis blushed but since her face was hidden behind the bag, no one could see. The downside was, she couldn’t see her Instructor blush either. When they reached his room, she set the bags down on his table and looked around. The place was a mess, papers were stacked up everywhere and he had books and mugs of half drunken coffee lying around. Instructor Mesh chuckled nervously.

“Not exactly a tidy little place is it?” he said, rubbing the back of his neck. Quistis smiled and then both burst into laughter. It ended quite suddenly when he leaned down and stole a quick kiss. Quistis’s eyes bulged out, and she stared at him.

“Sorry,” he apologized immediately. “I never should’ve done that…it’s just…” She reached up and threw her arms around him, overjoyed. She began babbling incoherently.

“It’s ok, I mean, I feel the same way, that is, if you feel that way about me, what I mean to say is that, I’ve had a crush on you but, oh man is this hard…” Quistis giggled through tear clouded eyes as she made her vague attempts to speak. He smiled down at her and she pushed down his glasses, the grin he had on was making him look faintly idiotic but cute. Quistis kissed him again, like a maiden in love with her prince.

“How will we explain this to the others?” She asked him.

“It could jeopardize everything you’ve worked for.” He replied. Quistis bit her lip and removed her arms from around his neck. She walked over to a chair and sat down, arms folded across her lap. Instructor Mesh looked down at the floor sadly. “It wouldn’t work out, huh?” Quistis’s head snapped up.

“Of course it will!” she almost shouted before covering her mouth for fear that someone heard her. When all was quiet, she continued. “Love always works out doesn’t it?” He smiled a little at her innocence when it came to love. No, love didn’t always work out but he wasn’t about to shatter her hopes when there could be a way out.

“Let’s think about this. If we show any signs of affection, Cid will expel you, no matter how good a student you are. He’s not about to tolerate anything that might put the Garden in danger. He’s got enough trouble as it is…” Quistis knew he was avoiding the fact that he might lose his job. Then an idea came to her.

“I could get my SeeD license next year!” she announced. He stared at her.

“Quistis…people don’t get their SeeD license until they’re 17 or 18. Heck, Xu didn’t get hers until 16. I just…” he stopped, seeing the pleading look on her face for him to cooperate. “Quistis…it’s going to be really hard.”

“So long as you stick with me…” she replied. “Unless…you think we’re going to break up…”

“I…the future’s never certain, you know? But if there’s anything I can do…I’ll be glad to help.” She stood up and embraced him again.

“We’ll work things out…”

A year of hiding their relationship passed. The day of the SeeD exam results arrived and Quistis wrung her hands in fear that they might have to go another year of hiding. And by then, they might be found. The Garden staff member walked up to them. All of the students were jumpy. One by one, the students that passed skipped into the elevator. Quistis almost gave up hope. Even though there was a surprising amount of people who passed, the Garden staff member walked away. Quistis hung her head, ashamed that she hadn’t passed. She sulked against the wall, almost near tears when he came running back.

“Quistis Trepe, you have also passed.”

“WHAT??!!” She jumped to her feet, causing the other people to stare at her. She blushed and rushed by them and into the elevator. She jumped with joy in the elevator, causing it to shake. When they reached the 3rd floor, she ran passed the others, eager to get her report and tell Arik the news.

“A fine young student.” Cid said when he came to the person standing next to Quistis. She was the last one and she was shaking with anticipation. Cid walked over to her and smiled.

“Our finest student. I can’t believe you graduated so early. You must have a lot of motivation in you.” He handed her the report. “Dismissed!” Quistis ran from the room, startling the others, including Cid. She knew that was being rude but she couldn’t help it. She reached the elevator before everyone else and made it to the 2nd floor. After a dull speech about how the others should study hard and accomplish their goal, she ran directly to Instructor Mesh’s dorm, not really caring who saw her.

“Hello…” He opened the door and she tackled him to the ground.

“I did it!!” she shouted. “I’m a SeeD!” He smiled at her and joined in the merriment. She got off and stared at his attire, which consisted of a white apron, pants and a short sleeve shirt. “Uh…” He laughed, embarrassed and led her into the kitchen.

“Happy birthday?” he offered, showing her the unfinished cake. Icing was dripping down one side, half finished. She squealed with joy and hugged him tightly.

“Thank you! I completely forgot about it!! I was so preoccupied with the SeeD exam that…” He swept her off her feet and spun around, laughing.

“I knew you could do it.” he whispered, nuzzling her face. She blushed.

“I told you.” They left the kitchen and the cake unattended, intent on other ways of celebrating the joyous occasion…

“The SeeD party is in an hour…” Arik said as Quistis drew random lines on his bare chest.

“I don’t care.” She whined. “I wanna stay here.”

“So the princess wishes,” he laughed. “But won’t it look suspicious if you’re not down there?” She rested her head on his shoulder.

“It’s not like we have to hide it anymore.” She argued.

“I suppose you’re right.” He stood up. “But I still want to see the party and the look on Xu’s face when she sees us.” Quistis brightened.

“I forgot about that! Well, what are we waiting for??” She demanded and jumped out of bed, dressing into her new and fresh smelling SeeD uniform. When she was dressed, she looked at Arik who beamed at her.

“You look like you were made for a SeeD uniform. “Come on, shall we?” He extended an arm in her direction. She took it and they exited the room.

Flashback end! Aww…

“He was sent a couple of months later to fight the onslaught of monsters that were coming from the Island of Hell. He sent me a ring…I think that if he hadn’t left, I would’ve been Mrs. Arik Mesh.” She smiled a little. “He left so quickly he didn’t get a chance to tell me, he left me a note saying, ‘I’ll be back soon and I’ll bring a souvenir.’ That ‘soon’ became weeks and months and then years. Just before I got my instructor’s license, a Squad of SeeD came back after investigating their disappearance. All they had with them was a burnt patch that said Squad 2, the squad Arik was assigned to. The body count was equal to the number that was sent…” She looked up and saw everyone staring at her. Apparently, her story had woken everyone up, it was that interesting. Selphie and Rinoa were plucking tissues from the nearby tissue box. She sighed and shook her head.

“That’s so sad…” Selphie sobbed, blowing her nose loudly. Rinoa nodded and latched onto Squall’a arm.

“If you ever leave me like that then…I…” Squall slapped his forehead. He had known Instructor Mesh, he was a cool guy. He would always tell Almasy to back off whenever he bullied anyone. To think that Quistis Trepe broke the student code and dated an instructor…

“That’s so beautiful Quisty!” Zell sobbed, dabbing his eyes just as badly as the girls were. Quistis looked on in disbelief.

Next stop…Dollet! Everyone stood up and the train began slowing down. Rinoa touched the ring Squall had given her and sighed.

“Don’t ever leave me.” She whispered. Squall nodded seriously.

As they exited, some soldiers approached them. Everyone tensed.

“It’s ok, we’re here to escort you to the mayor’s.” They explained. The group relaxed a little. They walked with the group until they reached the mayor’s house. The mayor was a slightly timid fellow, short and bald. He was very thin too.

“Welcome, you are the SeeD that I have sent for?” He asked.

“Yes we are sir.”

“And you have been briefed on the current situation?”

“Yes, sir.” Squall replied again.

“Please then, investigate at once. They are currently coming closer and closer to Dollet and we fear that they will try and take over once again.” Squall and the others saluted and exited the building.

“It’s Galbadians again.” Zell sighed. “They just never quit.”

“Maybe they’re looking for Adel?” Irvine suggested.

“It’s a possibility.” Quistis replied. “But we were ordered to eradicate and investigate so we’ll find out soon enough.” They quickly split up into groups, one consisting of Quistis, Rinoa and Squall and the other of Irvine, Selphie and Zell. They had earpieces to keep in touch.

“Squall, do you think they’re after the sorceresses again?” Rinoa asked.

“I won’t let them come anywhere near you.” He promised. Qusitis shushed them as she heard voices. They crouched low and snuck closer to hear.

“Cause enough ruckus.” They peered through the bushes and saw two Galbadian soldiers. “Should’ve drawn their attention.” Quistis frowned in thought. What were they talking about? She began standing up.

“Quistis!” Rinoa hissed.

“Remember our mission. We can get information out of them one way or another.” She stood up quickly and snapped her whip, wrapping it around one of the soldier’s neck. Squall jumped from his position and captured the other.

“Tell us, why are you here?” Quistis snapped.

“SeeD!” The first one gasped.

“Tell us or I’ll slice your head off.” Squall hissed dangerously. Suddenly, the two began laughing. Quistis quickly put two and two together.

“It’s a trap! Everyone run!” She yelled. Squall cursed and did as he promised, decapitating the soldier Quistis knocked him out. Three Galbadian soldiers had already crept up close to Rinoa. She did her best trying to fend them off but close quarters combat was not her expertise.

“Squall!” Zell yelled through the earpiece. “It’s an ambush!” No shit, Squall thought as he desperately cut through soldiers to reach Rinoa. Quistis snapped her whip across the head of a nearby SAM08G and she realized Rinoa’s trouble. Angelo was by her side, biting at anyone who came near.

Shiva! She thought. Help Rinoa!

As you wish it. It took a moment but Shiva appeared in a brilliant aura and froze all the soldiers and machines near her. Rinoa blinked and smiled.

“Thanks, Quisty.” She said. But it was said a moment too soon, more soldiers and weapons entered the brush, surrounding the two girls. Squall tried to fend the soldiers attacking him. Quistis swung her whip around, catching many of them in the neck.

“Zell! Where the hell are you?” She yelled.

“We’ve got enough trouble on our hands as it is!” He yelled back.

Zell, Selphie and Irvine were up against three, not one, not two but three X-ATM092’s. Each of them had been specially upgraded for tougher combat. Irvine loaded his gun with Hyper bullets while waiting for Selphie to cast Aura. When she did, he unloaded as fast as he could into the closest of the giant machines. Zell focused his attacks on Thundaga, trying to do as much damage as possible. He knew that they didn’t stand a good chance of defeating all three at once so they concentrated on one.

“The End!” Selphie shouted. Zell let out a huge sigh of relief only to have the wind knocked out of him by the second X-ATM092. At least one of them was gone.

“That’s it, Sephy, see if you can do another one!” Irvine said, glowing due to the effects of the Aura. “Why won’t you die?!” He shot his Pulse bullets into the leg of the X-ATM092 that he was fighting. Selphie was running through her slots trying to come up with a good spell.

“Flare!” She yelled. Unfortunately, the flare ignited the fuel inside the spider-like machine and it blew to bits. Selphie screamed as metal cut through her flesh.

“Curaga!” Zell yelled. Selphie’s wounds healed slightly and she bit her lip, getting to her feet. There was just one more and they were already worn out.

Quistis felt her back being singed. Apparently one of the soldiers had cast Firaga. She winced a little, wondering if she should cast curaga now or wait a little before using it. Rinoa in the mean time had almost run out of spells. Quistis tried to think fast.

“Aura!” She yelled, casting it on herself. As soon as she did it though, a Command Leader slammed into her back, causing her to fall forward. On top of that, Micro-missiles were being fired from GIM62A’s hurting her and Rinoa severely. Why are they after us? She wondered. Behind them there were several explosions.

“Get down!” Squall yelled before a giant bomb hit the ground. Squall flew one way and the two girls flew another. When they opened their eyes, soldiers surrounded them. Get up! Quistis thought fiercely. She jumped to her feet and remained there for a second before one of the soldiers brought the butt of his sword down hard on the back of her head.

“Quisty!” Rinoa shouted before she was treated to the same thing. Squall struggled to his feet nearby.

“We’ve got what we wanted.” One of the leaders said. Through the cloud of dust, he could see them putting Rinoa on one of the G-bikes. He was buried by a whole mound of dirt and it took every effort to sit up.

“No!” He coughed.

“What about her?” They were referring to the unconscious Quistis.

“Take her along too.” One leader ordered. Squall heard the revving of the motors as the sped away. He didn’t care that he was injured in almost every spot of his body, or that he was bleeding or that he couldn’t move. He had let them take Rinoa and Quistis and most of all, had failed to keep his promise.

Onwards to Part 11


Back to King's Heart Index - Back to Final Fantasy 8 Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction