King's Heart (part 30 of 31)

a Final Fantasy 8 fanfiction by FFEverShadow

Back to Part 29

The Will to Learn

Quistis knew that she couldn't be 'soft' anymore. If she were to have Ama succeed, she'd have to abandon what made the Garden Review Board doubt her abilities as an Instructor. But it was difficult. As smart as Ama was and despite how fast she was picking up words, at times it felt to both of them that the task ahead was too daunting.

“NO!” Ama yelled, throwing down her pencil and crossing her arms. Quistis sighed and picked it up for her.

“Ama, you need to learn this. Try again.” Ama smacked the pencil down just as Quistis offered it to her. Quistis growled in frustration. It was no fault of Fujin and Raijin's but Ama was either extremely spoiled or extremely stubborn; probably a mix of the two.

“Fight!” Ama insisted, standing up and assuming her combat stance. Quistis shook her head.

“Learn.” She repeated. The young girl shook her head again.

“Fight!” She tugged at Quistis's sleeve. Quistis folded her arms and shook her head, pointing to list of words in front of her. Ama sat down and frowned. They had already gone through 40 words but to pass the test, Ama needed to be able to read and write with some fluency.

“If we fight.” Quistis said slowly and deliberately. “And I win, you learn.” She pointed to Ama and then to the paper. “Fight, I win, you learn.” Ama seemed to understand but she wasn't stupid. She shook her head, knowing full well that Quistis would beat her in a matter of seconds. She summoned a fire, pointed to it and shook her head.

“No magic? Ok.” Quistis said. Ama held up a finger, indicating that there were more conditions. She pointed to Quistis and made a slashing motion. Quistis raised an eyebrow, puzzled. Ama scrunched up her nose. She pointed to herself and then to Quistis, making the slashing motion again. This time Quistis seemed to understand.

“Scratch.” She said, repeating the slashing motion. So she wins if she can scratch me...that's going to be more than challenging for me.

“Scratch.” Ama said, making the slashing motion. “Win.” She pointed to herself. Quistis frowned and shook her head.

“No, unfair.” She knew Ama didn't know what unfair meant but she said it anyway. Ama pointed to the paper.

“No.” She said. Quistis weighed her options. It would be good training for both of them and it would certainly be faster than trying to convince Ama to learn the words without bargaining. She had never fought Ama before but judging by the practice sessions, there was a small possibility that she could win without a scratch. She couldn't risk underestimating Ama's speed though, that was her main problem. If she could pin her down as fast as possible, it would be over. She nodded, taking Ama's hand and shaking it.

“Deal.”

-

-

“You've been awfully quiet since last night.” Celia noted as she followed Becca around. “Is everything alright?”

“Everything's fine, Celia. I'd kindly ask you not to ask any further.”

“If you say so, Miss Becca. Although I suppose it has something to do with the fact that you slept on the couch and Xu slept in your room.” Becca whirled around, a murderous look in her eyes. Celia fired an equally intense coy look back. “Nail on the head.”

“Don't push it.” Becca hissed.

“What happened?” Celia asked, knowing that Becca's limits were far from reached.

“It's none of your concern.” Becca snapped.

“It is full well my concern. If you change your mind because something has happened between you and Xu...” Celia replied with equal seriousness.

“The plan stands. I won't let my emotions get in the way of our ultimate goal. We're out to save lives and if that means...” At that moment, Xu turned the corner and jumped.

“Oh! Becca, Celia, I...” She stopped and blushed. “I'm sorry.” She walked past the two as quickly as possible.

“Nothing happened my foot.” Celia scoffed. Becca sighed and watched as Xu went out the back door and into the garden. She turned to follow. “You know, if I had a gil every time someone...” Celia turned around and noticed that no one was even in the hallway anymore. “Fine, I'll just go talk to myself then.”

Becca grabbed Xu's arm and pulled her back. Xu tried to fight it but a part of her didn't want Becca to let her go.

“We need to talk.” Becca said.

“I'm sorry about last night.” Xu replied.

“That's not what we need to talk about. It runs deeper than that.” Xu fought back the overwhelming urge to run away. She knew she wasn’t going to like whatever Becca was about to say. “I’m…I’m just being cautious is all.”

“About what? Are you scared people are going to find out about us?” Xu demanded. “Becca, all my life I’ve been in love with you. Even though I thought you were gone, I’ve wanted sometimes to join you.” Becca took Xu’s hand in hers.

“I know. I know exactly how you feel. Why do you think I never gave up looking for you?” Becca replied. “I’m…Xu I have to tell you the truth…” She opened her mouth.

“Miss Becca!” Andre ran down the steps, nearly tripping on the last few. They turned to look at him as he sprinted. “Miss Becca…we found it. We found the Third Weapon.” Becca turned white.

“You did? Are you sure?” Andre nodded. “Let’s go.” She said, marching up the steps. Andre glanced at Xu, still in a stupor of tears and shock. He patted her on the shoulder awkwardly and followed Becca up the steps. Xu collapsed on a bench. I want to go home…she thought. I miss home…But she wasn’t quite sure where home was anymore. It certainly wasn’t here, but she wasn’t sure it was at Balamb Garden either. Balamb…Quistis…And for the first time since she had arrived, she remembered Quistis. More tears streamed down her face. What have I done? Oh Quistis…She pulled her knees up to her face. I can’t go anywhere…

-

-

Quistis jumped aside as Ama swiped at her, nearly catching her sleeve. Quistis made a mental note of how fast Ama’s reaction time was. It certainly surpassed any of her previous students of the same age. She wondered if the time of peace had taken its toll on her abilities.

“Will get!” Ama shouted as she lunged at her again. Quistis swung her whip, catching Ama’s leg in midair and flipped her. Ama put her hands out and rebounded, pushing off and flying straight at Quistis’s face. Quistis let go of her whip, and jumped away, blocking the little girl’s attack as she flipped. Ama removed the whip from her leg and tossed it aside. Quistis broke into a sprint towards Ama, attempting a slide tackle. Ama jumped to the side and sliced at Quistis’s shoulder but at the last minute, Quistis pushed herself to the side, doing a full circle slide, grabbing her whip in the process. Ama was breathing heavily and Quistis knew it wouldn’t be long. As talented as the girl was, she was still a child and Quistis had years upon years of training. If she could wear Ama down enough, she could bind her up and claim victory.

“You’re tired. Why don’t we stop?” Quistis asked. Ama cocked her head, confused. “You, tired. Stop?” Ama shook her head and growled.

“No! Will win!” She shouted. She started towards Quistis again but suddenly collapsed. Quistis stayed where she was, unsure what exactly Ama was doing. It was a trick, she thought and waited. But Ama didn't move.

“Ama? Ama you know that's cheating, right?” Ama didn't move and Quistis couldn't see her breathing. Quistis cautiously approached the motionless girl. “Ama?” She poked her side with her whip. Ama didn't move. Quistis dropped to her knees and shook the girl but she still didn't move.

“Ama! Ama wake up!” She picked up the small girl in her arms and ran from the training room. Quistis was surprised by how little girl weighed. I hope Kadowaki is in...She thought as she neared the infirmary. As she sprinted in, Kadowaki jumped to her feet in surprise.

“Quisits! How can I help you?” She said, regaining composure.

“Something's wrong with Ama, we were sparring and she just collapsed!” Quistis explained.

“Well, put her on the bed, I'll take a look.” Kadowaki said calmly. Quistis placed Ama down on the bed. Kadowaki walked over and began inspecting the small girl.

After a few minutes of thorough checking, Kadowaki walked out into the waiting room with a relieved smile. Quistis looked at her expectantly.

“She's alright. Exhausted, but alright. Her body just couldn't take all that stress on her body. Would you like to explain what happened?” Quistis hung her head.

“I...I made a mistake. I was teaching her how to read and write and she refused to do so until I sparred with her. I forgot that she's just a child.” Quistis admitted. Kadowaki smiled knowingly.

“She's that talented, huh? Well, let's hope that we all learn from this experience.” Quistis nodded and sat down, waiting for when Ama woke up so that she could apologize to her. Kadowaki tilted her head. “Quistis, you’re bleeding.” Quistis started.

“What?”

“Your arm, you’re bleeding. Did Ama cut you while you were sparring?” Quistis looked down at her forearm. There was a small gash quickly staining the surrounding cloth with blood. She blinked, shocked and unaware of when exactly Ama had done that.

“I guess she did.” She whispered with surprise in her voice.

“Let’s get you cleaned up.” Kadowaki said, pulling out her first aid kit from a drawer. Quistis couldn’t comprehend when it had happened. After all her training, Ama still managed to win. But did she know she won? Quistis frowned. If Ama knew, she wouldn’t go back to learning, which meant she wouldn’t pass the exam and she needed to do so. She looked up at Kadowaki.

“Um…Dr. Kadowaki? Do you mind keeping this a secret? Once you bandage me up, I’m going back to my room to change so if Ama wakes up before I get back, don’t let on that she hurt me in any way.” Quistis requested. Kadowaki looked at her, puzzled but she nodded.

“That’s your business. I won’t get involved.” She replied.

“Thank you.” Quistis held out her arm for the doctor to treat.

-

-

Xu was so lost in her thoughts that she didn't notice Celia walking up behind her and tapping her on the shoulder. Xu jumped and turned around.

“Celia!” She exclaimed.

“You ok?” Celia asked. Xu sighed and turned back around. Celia sat down next to her.

“I hear you made some break through in finding the Third Weapon.” Xu commented.

“Yeah, we did. It's certainly not what we expected and we're not sure where it is but it's a start. It shouldn't be long now before...” Celia trailed off, she closed her eyes and fought back the rest of the sentence. Xu cocked her head quizzically.

“Before...?”

“Before it all ends.” Celia looked at Xu sadly. “What would you do if Becca lied to you?” Xu was taken aback by the question.

“How? What do you mean?”

“I mean, what if she told you something that wasn't exactly true?” Celia asked. Xu felt uneasiness rise in her chest.

“What hasn't she told me?”

“Nothing, never mind. It's really nothing. I was just curious.”

“What are you hiding from me?” Xu demanded, her demeanor almost menacing. Celia cringed.

“Do you love her?” Celia asked and Xu was taken aback again.

“W-what?” She stammered.

“Answer the question.” Xu nodded sheepishly. “Then you either need to trust Becca or ask her yourself.” Taking advantage of Xu's still surprised state, she stood up and walked away. Furious, she walked into Becca's office, surprising Andre who was also there.

“You need to tell her.” Celia hissed.

“Excuse me?” Becca said, standing up.

“Xu, you need to tell her the truth about all of this.” Celia pointed to the stack of papers on Becca's table. The front page said “Information about the Third Weapon”. Celia folded her arms.

“I believe that's my choice.” Becca said.

“No. She's in love with you and you're going to hurt her.” Andre blushed and looked at his feet as soon as he heard that Xu was in love with Becca. Becca noticed.

“Please leave, Andre, it appears Celia and I have a lot to discuss.” Andre bowed and left the room in a rush. Celia closed the door.

“I want you to tell me what exactly you're talking about.”

“Everyone knows!” Celia shouted. “Xu's in love with you and you...you're just going to do that to her?”

“It'll be better if she doesn't know.” Becca replied. Celia composed herself and sighed.

“I'm sorry. In all my time here I've never questioned what you've done, no matter how horrible. But this is Xu.”

“Noted.” Becca replied. “But let me remind you that I've been thinking about this far longer than you have. I know the consequences so you don't need to remind me.” Celia knew she had reached her limit and bowed. Without saying another word, she left the room. Becca let out a big sigh and could feel a headache setting in. She opened her drawer, took out some painkillers and downed three of them.

What Celia doesn't know is that I feel the same way about Xu. But I can't let anything happen, not if I'm going to lose her.

-

-

Quistis sat by Ama's side until she nodded off accidentally. In this time, Ama woke up and pieced together what had happened. She was not aware that she had actually won the battle. Instead, she quickly noticed the books that Quistis had on her lap. All of them were for her language lessons.

By the time that Quistis woke up, Ama had already started reading through some of the chapters. Quistis blinked in surprise.

“You won.” Ama said. Quistis felt slightly guilty for lying but this was the only way Ama was going to pass the test. The Instructor swallowed her guilt and nodded.

“That's right. And now you need to learn all the words I wrote down for you.” Ama grunted in response but did not complain.

Onwards to Part 31


Back to King's Heart Index - Back to Final Fantasy 8 Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction