Voyage of the Dauntless (part 33 of 69)

a Original Fiction fanfiction by Al Kristopher

Back to Part 32 Untitled Document

“The Flawed Couple: someone please come to rescue us!”

 

The sun dawned slowly on the veldt and unfurled long stretches of golden-orange light, setting fire to the dew-dropped grass and invigorating life to the world once more. A subtle song of locusts and crickets stirred, gently at first, as warmth and light returned; the lavender sky broke into a shimmering ginger radiance, and began to dance faintly. A wind picked up, giving the orchestral insects flight, flinging moisture from the green field into the air, spreading seeds across the fresh land as daybreak began with all his promises. The last twinkling stars saluted their mighty sovereign one last time before humbly fading back into the sky; the world’s moon, virginal and pale like a bride pacing to meet her groom, sunk deep into the womb of the earth, not to be seen until the great chariot of fire had completed its circuit. Gradually, with eons of patience supporting it, the sun climbed higher and higher, until its massive sphere had at last broken free from the horizon, and hovered proud in the clear sky.

Its rays of warmth stretched out far and wide, removing shadows and uncovering secrets. One beam came to rest upon a reclining figure, still asleep after her rough descent to this world, casting its golden brightness on her soft, tanned skin. Her triangular ears, curved and pointy like scimitars, flickered as the early warmth caressed them; her great swirling tribal tattoos, curling white like clouds tickling the sky, seemed to come alive as her eyes fluttered open, bringing forth life to her body once more. She knew she was in no pain, because her smoky-gray horns did not ache, and her tail slithered up to greet her and examine the world curiously. Yenae felt completely at ease, even though she had no idea where she was or how she had gotten there. She did not even stir--and soon discovered another reason to be still. Curled up directly in front of her, nearly within reach of her gentle arms, was a beautiful Felinis, sleeping sweetly.

Yenae’s face blossomed with marvel and unquenchable love as she beheld the person most precious to her, laying there asleep without a single care etched on her gorgeous face. Her whiskers, imperceptible strands of pale gray traced on her cheeks, waved at her in the breeze; silvery hair and fur rippled gently, her limbs cozied up defensively, her eyes shut in a tranquil dream. Alala had always been beautiful in Yenae’s eyes, but now she looked like a child of angels, a cherub kitten descended from heaven for her pleasure. Yenae’s eyes furrowed as tears began to form--the mere sight of this exquisite being caused her to weep in rapture--and she snuggled close so she could hear her breathing. What an entrancing lady…and those cute, pouting lips of hers were so close, opened just slightly as she slept… Yenae fell in love all over, and could no longer restrain herself as she moved closer, gently placing her mouth over those sweet pink flowers.

Of course, as any fairy tale will tell you, the princess always wakes up after a kiss, and this was no exception. Alala had teetered on that dreamy border between fully asleep and fully awake until she felt a soft, sweet sensation encompassing her, and stirred as gently as a cloud stirs in the quiet breeze. Through her haze, she felt something pressed up against her lips, and her eyes slowly opened to see what this was. The discovery was instantly sobering, like a slap of icy water, and she realized with infuriation and terror that Yenae had finally crossed the line.

 

“WWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!”

 

She vaulted to her feet and stumbled away, screaming so loud that it disturbed a flock of birds and made several trees drop their fruit prematurely. The sky itself seemed to wince as Alala backed off, tripped, stuttered, fell on her bottom, cursed, babbled, and pointed sharply. She may have overreacted.

“YOU KISSED ME!! WHAT IN THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT FOR?! WHAT SORT OF WACKO IDEAS CREPT INTO THAT EMPTY HEAD OF YOURS THAT MADE YOU…DO THAT?! I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU…YOU…YOU KISSED ME!!”

“Well, good morning, my little sweet potato,” Yenae purred, clawing the air playfully. “What a delightful way to start my day--mmm, yummy!”

“That’s disgusting!” Alala screamed, though she was starting to calm down a little. “Are you completely bonkers? Wait--don’t answer that question! I already know! Maybe I should just ask what the FUCK came over you instead!!”

“What can I say?” Yenae giggled, stretching out cutely. She struck a seductive pose, resting on her hands and knees, and crawled after Alala like a sensual predator, waving her tail hypnotically. “You looked so adorable when you were asleep that I couldn’t help myself! I’m glad my little smooch woke you up, princess.”

“Y…you were watching me while I was sleeping?!” she screamed. “What kind of sick, twisted nut are you? No, wait, never mind! Don’t answer that question either! I don’t think I want to know! Just get the hell out of my room and--whuh?” She tripped on a rock as she stepped away, looked around her, and realized she was not in her own bed, or in her room, or even the Dauntless. Alala let out a bemused meow, sniffed the air, wiggled her ears and tail, and stood up in a dumb-struck awe. “Hey, where the hell are we, anyway? Did we land on some new world, and nobody told me about it?”

“Let’s just say that we’re not in Kansas anymore, little kitten,” Yenae muttered jovially. Alala’s emotions overpowered her--confusion, shock, anger, fear, embarrassment, and even arousal--and she lashed out at Yenae very harshly.

“No shit, you evil demon!! We must’ve been thrown here or lost or…AAARRGH, I don’t even know how we GOT here!! It’s so frustrating! But the worst thing is that I’m stuck here with you! Hey, wait a second!! Did you see anybody else around here?” Yenae smiled sadly and shook her head.

“I’m afraid it’s just you and me, grumpy butt. I could be wrong, of course--”

“STOP CALLING ME BY THOSE IMMATURE NAMES!!”

“I mean, I haven’t actually looked around. I only just woke up myself…just in time to see your sweet little sleepy face!” Alala wailed like a siren bereaved of all she held dear, opened the waterworks, and collapsed on the ground, slamming her forehead in the grass.

“This isn’t happening,” she whined. “What did I do to deserve this? It’s bad enough being lost in an unfamiliar world, with no friends or food or shelter, but I also have to be stuck with this harpy!”

“I’m a Changeling, sugar muffin,” Yenae chirped, “not a harpy! A High Saurian! See, here are my sexy horns and my cute tail! Notice the lack of feathers? Although I would look cool with some wings! But no dove wings--I can’t stand those frilly white feathers! Something more like a bat’s wings would suit me!”

“Shut up,” Alala groaned, raising her head. She had a charming green smudge on her brow mixed in with tears and dirt; Yenae laughed wonderfully and scooted over to wipe it off. Alala swatted her hand away, did the honors herself, sat up again, and pulled her legs close to her chest, too worn-out and aggravated to put up another fight. Yenae gave her a loving stare and sidled next to her, placing an arm of support over her shoulders.

“Don’t be so depressed, my furry little angel. I promise I’ll look after you and take care of you. All things considered, we’re very fortunate! If we’re the only people on this world, we can spend the rest of our lives quite happily!”

“You’re not helping,” Alala grunted, shrugging off Yenae’s arm. The energetic blonde grinned and rubbed her rose on Alala’s cheek.

“Sorry. I get carried away with my fantasies a lot. Well, if we’re not alone, then our friends will probably come looking for us. We need to make the best of things until then, all right cutie-pie?” Alala just grunted and turned her back on Yenae, not even bothering to respond or fight. The infamous Holy Annoyance couldn’t bear to see her beautiful champion looking so downtrodden--she much preferred to see her up and running, bursting with energy and fire, ready to kick ass and conquer worlds. That was the Alala she had fallen so deeply in love with, and if she ever wanted to see that zealous woman again, she would have to act fast. Without warning, Yenae pounced on Alala and kissed her cheek from behind.

“I SAID GET OFFA ME!!” Yenae was flung aside with incredible strength; she coughed and bounced to her feet as Alala finally stood up and started to move.

“That’s the spirit, bouncy butt! Gotta keep that passion of yours going! Mmm, it’s sexy! So what say you to some breakfast? We can’t live on desires alone, you know!”

“Hey, great idea!” Alala shouted, her back still to her adversary. “Why don’t you go in that direction and I’ll go in this one?! Take your time while you’re at it, and don’t worry about

directions! Hurry up, or all the good food will be taken! You’d better run!” Yenae laughed merrily and skipped after Alala, grabbing her arm and holding on tight.

“Silly girl! We’re in this together! Besides, I want to see how the mighty warrior-genius Alala goes hunting! I’ll bet you’re as strong as a lioness and as powerful as a tigress! I’ll be your loving partner!”

“Must you?” she groaned. Yenae smiled sweetly, licked her fuzzy ear, and dodged the swinging arm she knew was coming.

“Of course! Someone has to watch that sweet kitty bum of yours, and I’d consider it a pleasure!”

“I bet you would,” she growled, feeling agitated and helpless.

 

Far off into the distance, a lone figure observed the two women, studying their movements and behavior before slinking back into the shadows…

 

……

 

For hours the two women walked, shaking off their sleep and the shock of waking in a foreign land, using the time trotting to pick out landmarks and memorizing their surroundings, should they ever need the knowledge. Yenae quickly noticed that Alala’s hostilities grew in proportion the closer she got: staying a stone’s throw away kept the cat-girl peaceful and mellow, but every step nearer increased her antagonism, and brushing up against her or whispering sultry words sent a shiver of rage through her skin and silvery fur. Yenae loved teasing Alala--it was the only way she knew to show how much she cared--but even she knew when to exercise restraint, and calmed her impishness as they took their first rest. The only things to eat were lizards and crickets; Yenae killed a few by throwing her knives, and offered her prize to Alala, who took the lizards raw.

“What I wouldn’t give for a nice grilled cheese sandwich,” she said. “Hey, how do those crickets taste? I can’t believe you’re really eating them.”

“I love them!” Yenae sang. “They’re especially good with honey--just like a certain contortionist I know!”

“Stop it!” she growled, turning her back. The air was quiet and cool for a minute or two as the women caught their breath and relaxed their muscles. They both knew it was better to stay in one spot if they ever got lost, but if all their companions had the same mentality, nobody would ever be found, so they decided to take action and go looking for everyone. Yenae fancied herself a

decent hunter, and she knew Alala’s animal instincts were kicking in. Of course, she would’ve preferred it if nobody ever found them--that way, she could be with the woman she loved forever--but she wasn’t so irresponsible as that, and besides, she was starting to miss her other friends. Alala shuffled and broke the gentle stillness as she turned around, held out her paw, and gave Yenae an even look.

“Let me try one.” Watching her darling cat-girl was a joy in itself; Yenae could stare at Alala for hours and never grow bored. To her amusement, not a single sliver of disgust found its way to her face as she chewed and swallowed. “Hmm, not too bad. I’d still rather have that grilled cheese sandwich, but these are pretty tasty, too. So just why the hell do you insist on following me around, anyway?”

“Well, you’re the only person around for miles, and I’d like the company. I already said I was in love with you, so there’s the whole ‘being with my honey-buns’ angle--plus, two are better than one. We’ll stand a much better chance of surviving if we stay together. Somebody has to keep me warm on those cold nights.” Alala bristled and snarled, which, despite her belligerent intent, only made her look cuter.

“I hope you’re not planning on taking advantage of the situation!”

“Whatever could you mean by that, snuggle-bums?” she giggled.

“You know what I mean,” she growled. Yenae inched slower and gently took Alala’s hand. There was a time for playfulness, but now she wanted to have a serious conversation, and hoped that Alala would get the message.

“All right, I won’t. I see it’ll really make you uncomfortable. You know, Alala, I’d never do anything to harm you or make you feel distressed. I love you and I care about you. You know that, right?”

“If you like me so much, why do you always pick on me and make fun of me?” she snapped. Yenae looked aghast as she drew back, still clutching her beloved’s hand.

“Is that what you think I do? Sweetheart, when have I ever made fun of you? You know that I feel nothing but the highest respect and admiration for you, and not just because other people think you’re a brainless sex-machine. I know how smart you are, kitten, and I also know how brave and noble and wonderful you are. You’re my champion, Alala. How could you possibly think I make fun of you? I just like to tease you, is all.”

“Well I don’t like it,” she grumbled. Yenae smiled sweetly and ran her fingers through that wild mane of silvery hair.

“Your mother does it to you all the time, and yet you two act like best friends.”

“But she’s my mother. It’s…how she shows her love. That’s how it’s always been. I wish there was some other way, but--”

“And that’s how I show you I love you,” Yenae whispered warmly. She edged even closer, rubbing Alala’s hand, gently easing the feisty woman to where she could hopefully trust her. “Listen, my beauty, if you honestly want me to stop, I will. I’ve acted that way all my life, and let me tell you: I only tease people I love and care about. You’ll notice I never give this much attention to anyone else! However, if you really want me to stop… If you really hate me because of it…” She found herself crying, which was unusual for her, and her tail slithered up, since both hands were busy, and wiped the trickle away.

“I don’t really hate you,” Alala muttered stiffly. “I mean, I thought you were evil at first, but I also thought you were making fun of me because of…well, my race’s stereotypes. But…I did hear how you admired me sometimes. I couldn’t really pin your feelings down, though, and I’m still doubting them. I know you’re not a bad person; I just can’t really trust everything you say. At least I’m positive you don’t really love me. How could you?”

“You can’t be serious, darling!” Yenae exclaimed, moving over to she could look at her darling in the eye. “I know I act a little childish, but I’m a free spirit! I can’t prance around keeping my feelings bottled up! I’m the type of girl who enjoys life to the fullest, and I never lie about my feelings. I do love you, Alala, whether you believe it or not.” She leaned forward to kiss her forehead, but barely brushed her lips against the girl’s skin before she was rejected. Alala jerked aside and moved away, dark clouds forming over her.

“I’ve heard all that rot before,” she stated bitterly. “People have told me they loved me, but they always manage to fuck me over in the end. You’ll do the same, I can guarantee it. People only exist for themselves; they’re so fucking selfish and cruel, and they don’t give a damn about anyone else. They’ll hurt each other just for fun, or whenever it benefits them the most, and leave them sick and alone in the cold rain. But I’m a fool too,” she whispered, so hoarse that Yenae could barely hear her, “a fool for believing in them, when they look me in the eye and fill me up with their garbage. You say you love me now, but later on, you’ll dump me to the side and forget about me. You may as well just admit that right now and leave me the hell alone, because I’m not falling for it again.”

Alala was weeping, though Yenae didn’t know--out of fear, anguish, confusion, frustration, anger, regret… She was pouring her soul out to the unlikeliest person, but it was a burden she had carried around long enough: somebody needed to listen to her, and Yenae was the only one around. She understood a little about Alala’s past before, after eavesdropping on her squall with her mother back on Tigris, and vague hints crept out occasionally during regular conversation, but now the dam had broken and all the troubles it held back were pouring out. Part of the reason Yenae admired Alala so much was because she knew the other woman had been strengthened by her pain: she was fighting to overcome it and be a better person. She wanted to console her beautiful champion, but she feared pushing Alala too far; the slightest nudge might send her careening over the path of no return. So she said nothing and waited for the storm to calm.

“I need some water,” Alala sighed at last. She gave Yenae a shockingly mature, forlorn expression, like she had been beaten and was desperately picking up the pieces. “It looks like we’ll have to stay together a little while longer. If…if I faint from dehydration, Yenae, you won’t leave me behind, will you?” It took her awhile to form a good answer.

“I think I could carry you, Alala. But let’s not think about that until things get desperate. Come on, I think I smelled a stream not too far away--and where there’s water, we can probably get fish as well. Would it be offensive to ask if you liked fish?”

“Only if they don’t talk to me,” she managed to say, smiling beautifully through tears. Alala sniffled and resumed walking with Yenae; she shuddered and instinctively grabbed her hand. In that brief moment before her inner hell had broken loose, it became a source of unexpected stability for her, and she entertained the faint possibility that maybe, just maybe, one person in the universe really meant what they said, and would stay by her side come darkness or dawn.

 

……

 

Alala’s condition improved once they found the stream, and she even started smiling again. Yenae wanted to crack a joke or “show her affections”, but she figured she was on thin ice, and didn’t want to push Alala any further, so instead, she decided to just “be”--nothing more than a companion, nothing less than a friend. If Alala decided to open up and resume her spirited ways, Yenae would be there to play with her and laugh; if she wanted to remain sober, Yenae would be there to comfort her and listen. She dove into the water and caught a few fish for her friend, even splashing her a little to gauge their relationship. Alala sputtered and cursed, as usual, but she also fought back, and even started tearing up clumps of grass and dirt to throw. Yenae wanted to drag her friend into the river and wrestle her, but she assumed Alala wasn’t ready for that level of playfulness yet. She wanted to ease her champion into it first; she wanted to earn Alala’s trust and love.

“Aah, nice!” the cat-girl exclaimed as she reclined on the grass, picking her teeth with her short claws. “Nothing beats fresh fish caught straight from the river! And the water was nice and cold, too! Now all I need is a warm fire, a soft rug, and Rachmaninov in the background.”

“You like classical music from Earth?” Yenae asked. Alala smiled cheerfully; apparently, that food and drink did her disposition wonders.

“Yeah, this friend of mine introduced it to me when I went to the academy on Mars. She was this really big music freak--I guess you could call her a genius--and she told me about all the greats. Oh, she was the most amazing violinist, the kind of girl that could make you dance or cry at the drop of a hat! And she was pretty, too! I was really in l…” Alala came to a screeching, emotional halt as she realized who she was talking about, and her face changed from one of excitement to sorrow. Her tail drooped and her ears sagged, and she scratched meaningless lines in the dirt. “But that was a long time ago. It was just a dream I had, and dreams never last. I hope she’s still happy, but I wonder if she even remembers me.”

“Nobody could ever forget you,” Yenae attempted.

“THEN WHY THE HELL DID SHE BREAK MY HEART LIKE THAT!!” The puckish blonde fell back in a daze, horrified that she had pushed her dear companion over the edge, and slowly recovered, not wanting to set off any more bombs.

“Ah…I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have…”

“It’s not your fault,” she muttered sharply, tossing fish bones in the river. “She just came to mind, that’s all. It happened a long time ago. Just another person that dumped me to the curb and forgot about me.”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“Not to a devil like you!” she spat. But Alala felt as if she would carry this baggage of hers around forever unless she let it out, and as difficult as Yenae was, she was also the only ear available. “But maybe I should. Her name was Elena Pariello, and we met in college. We…fell in love. I wanted to give myself to her, and marry her, but she…you know, her family didn’t approve, because they thought I was just some stupid, penniless, horny little cat-girl that was nothing more than a fancy of their daughter‘s. They thought Elena was going through a phase, anyway, and told her it was just a college thing. We…ended up drifting apart, and she got married and had kids just as expected. She gave up her dreams so easily…but what did it ever give her in return? I never saw or heard from her again.”

Yenae was shocked. “You knew Elena Pariello? The famous violinist? Alala, she’s legendary!! She’s one of the top human performers around! Haven’t you ever heard her platinum release, The Aspiring Scholar? That’s one of the most beautiful works of art in recent times! And you’re seriously saying you two were in love?!”

“Is that what happened to her?” she asked doubtfully. “I mean, I haven’t heard anything from her since we broke up! Good lord, if a lecherous bitch like you knows about her, she must’ve gotten famous quickly! Talk about hiding under a rock, huh?”

“I’ll say! Sweetheart, I thought you knew.”

“What can I say?” she grumbled. “Even a girl like me gets out of the loop every once in awhile. What’s the name of that piece of hers?”

The Aspiring Scholar. It’s an exquisite piece she dedicated to someone she knew in college. Wait, no--do you really think it could be about YOU?” Alala blushed as she thought about it, but shook her head in denial.

“What? No way! If what you’re saying is true, she would’ve written it after she got married! There’s no way she would’ve dedicated something that awesome to…me…”

But what if it was true?

“Regardless, I can see your ex had very superlative taste!” Yenae chirped. “It’s only natural she dedicate the Scholar to you. It suits you perfectly!”

“No it doesn’t,” she grinned, blushing timidly. Alala’s eyes met Yenae’s, and for a moment, there was perfect peace and understanding between them. She even felt that weary old hope of hers coming to life. Yenae gently leaned closer, their eyes still bound, and placed her forehead against Alala’s brow, staring so deep into her sharp, bright-green eyes that she could see her reflection. Their noses touched, Alala’s cheeks deepened into crimson, and her heart hammered mercilessly in its chest. She remembered every moment when Yenae had bullied her, pulled her tail, touched her ears, tickled her skin, called her childish names, flirted with her, touched her, whispered a suggestive comment, and all those other times when she was generally a pain in the rear: all those moments came colliding down, and the exhilarating shock of being so close to such an infuriating woman gave leave to the passion Alala had been harboring and keeping all this time. It took Yenae by surprise, especially when Alala emerged from her cocoon of insecurity and took an aggressive lead, pushing her tongue through her lips to conquer Marliir’s world.

But at last they broke apart, with just the same speed and savagery, and they were breathless from their journey, both amazed at what had transpired. For all the fuss she had made, Yenae’s earlier kiss had also excited Alala, and now what was once a spark became an eruption, uncontrollable and consuming. Alala hated the way that devilish woman teased her, and yet a deep desire had been borne from it: she drove her crazy and it felt so good, too. Yenae was wild, savage, and mischievous, but she was also warm, understanding, wise, patient, and deeply loving, everything her previous two girlfriends had been, hopefully without the attachments. Alala’s fear of being thrown away a third time threatened to destroy what little chance she had for happiness (the crush she had on Amy didn’t seem to count), but as she looked into Yenae’s deep, playful, sweet yellowy eyes, her wish strengthened and her hope grew a little more. She curled up, not sure where to go from here, and was held by patient arms as time, space, and purpose lost all meaning. The moment was beautiful, for the few minutes it lasted: she picked up sounds of somebody approaching them, and broke out of her peaceful embrace.

“Oops, my bad!” exclaimed their visitor as she parted the long grasses. It was Amy Miracle, of all people, as cheerful and clumsy as ever, bless her. “Have I interrupted a special moment? Should I, uh, wander around for a few more hours?”

“We weren’t doing anything!” Alala snapped as she sat up. “This jerk just splashed me with water and was warming me up! I swear, she’s so twisted sometimes!”

“Only sometimes?” Yenae giggled as she ruffled Alala’s mane. Alala swatted her hand away, but there was a noticeable difference in her antagonism, like she was slowly warming up to Yenae’s unique “charm”. Amy smiled gladly and joined them, hopping around on her left leg (her crutch was nowhere in sight).

“Well, I hope it’s okay if I join you. I’ve had a rough time lately, and I could really use some rest! You said you had water, right? I hope there’s a lot--I could probably drink up a lake!”

“Help yourself,” Yenae said, gesturing to the stream. Amy sighed with delight and dunked her face in the water, slurping like a horse. Her pigtails had come undone and she looked older and more mature; her chestnut hair got soaked, and she giggled helplessly as she tied it back and wrung it out.

“Boy, I’m a real mess! I’m glad I found you two, though. Have you seen the others?”

“Afraid not,” Yenae sighed. “What about you?” Amy shook her head and leaned back so her clothes wouldn’t get soaked from her hair. “Well, it’s possible they all made it here, but it’s just as likely that we’re the only ones.”

“I see. I’m sure that if the three of us look together, we’ll find more clues.” Yenae was smiling on the outside, but sulking on the inside. Now that Miracle was acting as their third wheel, she wouldn’t be able to put the moves on her honey-buns--and just when they were starting to get closer, too! Amy looked back to smile at Alala, but the cat-girl was bristling and hissing, every hair on her body standing on end. She glared bloody murder at Amy and pounced on her with incredible power, wrapping her hands around the woman’s throat. Yenae’s heart almost burst as she fought to pry the two apart from each other, but Alala was relentless and fought like the great kings of her ancestors.

“Stop that! Get off her now! What’s come over you?! Alala, if you don’t let go right now, so help me I’ll…”

“You don’t understand!” Alala grunted, her eyes and teeth set sharply. Beneath her, Amy whimpered helplessly, pleading with sweet, honest eyes for her friend to let her go. “You don’t understand,” Alala said again, “this isn’t the real Amy! She doesn’t smell the same!”

“I said to get off!!” Yenae whispered an apology before she yanked on Alala’s tail as hard as she could. Her beloved roared in pain, and out of defensive instinct, slashed Yenae with her claws, cutting four scars on her upper chest. This also freed Amy, who staggered away coughing and gasping. Yenae clutched her wound gravely, hurt both physically and emotionally, while the Felinis glowered, swallowing great deep breaths as she glanced between the two. She closed her eyes and tried gaining her composure, but her muscles were tense, and she still looked mad.

“I didn’t mean to hurt you, Yenae. I’m sorry. I…know why you did that, and I know you were only doing what you thought was right, so I forgive you. I…hope you can forgive me as well. It was just…a reflexive action, that’s all. But I swear on my mother’s grave that this is not the real Amy!

“What are you TALKING about?!” Amy screamed, looking ten times worse than both of them. “Of course I’m the real Amy! Alala, why would you say such a thing? I’m Amy Blithe--why would you think I was anybody else?”

“Don’t you mean Amy Miracle?” Yenae murmured. Amy froze in her tracks and hesitated, staring quizzically. Marliir suddenly realized what was going on, that Alala had been right all along (bless that adorable pink nose of hers!), and jumped away in fear, pulling out two of her

throwing-knives. The Amy imposter, meanwhile, rolled her eyes in frustration and grumbled to herself.

“Idiot! You walked right into that one! Of course that secretary and Dr. Miracle were the same person! It’s the oldest ruse in the book!”

“Who are you really?” Yenae demanded. The false Amy threw away her glasses, glared at them, and started backing away.

“Me?” she sang eerily. “I can be anybody I want. I can be Alala, or I can be Yenae. I can be Amy, your mother, your best friend, or just another random pedestrian on the street. I am anonymity itself.”

“Whoever you are, I don’t like you!” Yenae threw her daggers with deadly accuracy, but the pseudo-Amy was faster than she looked, and caught them both in the air, twisting with a dancer’s grace. She threw them back, one at each woman, and used the distraction to run into the river, where she was swept away with the current and escaped. Alala, being the agile escape artist she was, had moved out of the projectile’s way with little difficulty, but Yenae was not so nimble, and had been cut on the leg. She cursed her sloppiness and licked the blood from her discarded dagger before concealing it, but was unable to stand without hurting herself. Alala growled in annoyance and decided to assist the hapless woman.

“Hold on, sit still! You’ll only make it worse, you idiot! Here: I’ll dress it for you. And don’t get the wrong idea about my clothes.” She tore off a strip from her shirt and wound it around Yenae’s leg, and even tied it in a bow. She took another piece of cloth from her shirt, thereby exposing a bit of her midriff, and fastened it around the cuts on her chest. Yenae’s bronze face turned rosy-pink as Alala cared for her, and she behaved herself even when her darling was hovering over a precarious spot.

“Did you learn that from Fuuka?” she asked.

“Naw, I took basic medical training in high school. I figured I’d need it somewhere down the road. Can you walk?” Yenae tested her leg, but it stung too much to put any weight on. Alala sighed deeply, and resigned herself to acting as support as she hoisted the woman’s tattooed arm over her shoulders and lifted her up. Yenae beamed magnificently and quickly snuck a kiss on Alala’s cheek before her hospitality expired.

“Thank you, snookums.”

“Bah, don’t mention it--seriously! I mean it, now! If you say even one word, I really will leave you behind! One word, Yenae--about anything at all!”

“Can’t I at least thank my beautiful champion one more time?” Alala stuffily turned red and continued to hobble along, amazed that she was still stuck with Yenae after everything they had been through…and that the other woman was still enjoying herself.

“You’re welcome,” she said gruffly. Yenae purred and reached down to grope Alala’s rear end, earning a vicious retort for her efforts. “What did I tell you about taking advantage of the situation!!”

“Sorry, honey-buns, you know I can’t help myself!”

“Yeah, you’re pretty fucking helpless, all right! And hopeless, too, might I add! I don’t even know why I bother!”

“Because you WUV ME!” she crooned.

“N-no I DON’T!! Y-you’re reading too much into this! Mama would just disapprove if she heard I left you behind, that’s all! You may live up to that very well-deserved nickname of yours, Miss Holy Annoyance, but I’m not gonna leave you to get picked clean by the buzzards, or whatever the hell that person was we saw back there! That would be beneath me!”

“I know, pudding pop! And I love you so much for your honor!” She cooed playfully, but Yenae really was grateful. Her tail quietly slithered over to meet Alala’s bushy appendage, and as the two continued their search, constantly bickering and teasing, their tails subtlety intertwined, embracing in a quiet spiral that came to symbolize the bond they now had.

 



 

Preview of next chapter

Yenae: Aww…

Alala: Yeah, yeah--whatever!

Yenae: chirp

Alala: What EVER…

Yenae: purr

Alala: Hey, are you mocking me again?

Yenae: playful expression

Alala: What E-VAH! I think the next chapter will sober things up a bit. I hear there’s a messy love triangle going on somewhere on this planet! I sure am glad I’m not a part of it.

Yenae: While you’re reading “Lost and Found: emotions”, Alala and I will be getting very cozy!

Alala: And just what does that mean, you freak?!

Yenae: chu

Alala: …Oh.

Onwards to Part 34


Back to Voyage of the Dauntless Index - Back to Original Fiction Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction