Voyage of the Dauntless (part 29 of 69)

a Original Fiction fanfiction by Al Kristopher

Back to Part 28 Untitled Document

Space Race: pursued by an inferno!

 

“What?” Lyara smiled mysteriously and wiggled her pointed ears, amused by Riene’s puzzled expression. She had just returned from her date with Sati and looked to be in a very serene mood: her face was aglow and her eyes flickered with warm light. Lyara had always considered Riene a lovely person--probably too elegant for the likes of her--but now she was downright ethereal, and she couldn’t help but grin.

“Nothing. I’m just trying not to abuse my abilities too much.” Riene suddenly remembered what Lyara could do and turned dark red; the elf laughed and backed away before she could embarrass the redhead. “You had fun, right? That’s all any of us ever need to know. We’re being asked to strap ourselves in, so you’d better get to it. The twins will be severely tested from here on out.”

“Yes, I know,” she whispered: “the checkpoint around the sun, and after that, an asteroid belt, an ocean, and a frigid ice-world. Sounds dangerous.”

“That’s probably why they chose the Hagan system,” Lyara shrugged. Fuuka stuck her head out from the hallway and smiled; her long furry ears flopped down.

“Actually, the sun’s checkpoint shouldn’t be all that dangerous. If we angle our descent at…what was it, 36 degrees…and accelerate at full speed, we should use its gravity to get a huge boost!”

“This isn’t an anime, Fuu-chan,” came Athena’s voice. Her long limbs grabbed the excited woman and pulled her back, giggling and squealing. Soon even Lyara was blushing, as she could guess what was keeping them so occupied.

Anyway, I trust Kay and Tee, but we should still be prepared. I hope you liked your…vacation, because we won’t be able to stop until we get to Hagan 20. After that, it’s the home stretch to the finish.” Riene followed Lyara as they made their way to the emergency landing room, which had been designed specifically to shelter crewmembers in case the Dauntless was forced to make a rough touchdown. The walls were padded and the seats had belts, harnesses, and cushions to prevent the passengers from rattling around too much. About ten women were already buckled in and making the best of their situation (Chandra was “preparing” herself for the star’s heat and was naked in her seat); Lyara helped bind Riene, and Sharyn came by later to secure her.

“Do you know who’s ahead?” Riene asked in the meantime. Lyara shook her head.

“I haven’t been paying attention.”

Prince Mishkin took an early lead after the last checkpoint,” Shana reported. She winked at Rebecca before continuing. “Hooray for Becky and her aunt. The Zephyr is in second place, but the Colonel Lingus is gaining speed. They recovered pretty quickly after that accident.”

“Just what you’d expect from a Felinis!” Alala exclaimed proudly. Yenae giggled and waved her tail seductively.

“That’s right, those ladies can go on all night, but I’ll bet my sweet-cheeks has even more stamina.”

“Hell yeah,” she purred innocently, “but don’t call me sweet-cheeks!”

“The Screaming Skull was forced out of the race,” Valti sighed darkly. She hung her head and grumbled, “Just another sad year for the Rennai penal colonists. I say again, I’m glad I was never forced to fly for them.”

“I heard the Renegade is doing really well,” Kyrie added. She grinned naively at Lyara: “Didn’t you say you knew the captain of that ship?” Lyara jerked her head around and glared furiously; her eyes were poisonous and her teeth were bared aggressively.

“I don’t want to talk about it!” she snapped. Kyrie wailed out an apology and stopped talking--she was more interested in the star they were approaching. Although not even a Pyrosian could withstand the purifying heat of a star, they could study it and harness its energy more capably than other species. Kyrie also made a note to return to Hagan 2 once she had more time: she was tailor-made for its volcanic composition, and could probably distinguish herself as an outstanding scientist and inventor with all the materials available. Just thinking about it made her squeal, and she hurt herself trying to leap out of her fastenings.

Within half an hour, the entire crew had affixed themselves to something and were hanging on tight: the Dauntless would be violently shaken by the approaching star’s gravity, and the Acheron sisters weren’t about to be gentle with it. Even Rachel was latched onto something, and slept peacefully as she hung chained to the ceiling of Amy’s room. Chandra had prepared by taking off all her clothes (the sight of her nakedness didn’t provide the same shock it once held), but it was a wasted effort: the Dauntless would be protected by heat, radiation, and other powerful flares that emitted from the sun, and whatever warmth escaped these shields would be inconsequential--it would be the difference between late fall and the middle of summer, about fifty degrees at best. The crew would not be able to monitor their progress since all windows, shutters, and observational posts would have to be shut and shielded, but Kay and Tee promised to give regular updates based on the information they received. There would be no possibility of electric power during the revolution--the sun’s magnetism would short it all out--so they would have to rely on battery power. Several women started holding hands.

“Is everybody ready?” Tee announced. “We’re entering into the outermost region of Hagan’s corona. Things are going to get pretty hot down there, so try not to move around too much. There are emergency water bottles for you all, but don’t get greedy--it’ll take us at least an hour before we can move on.”

“Most of the previous vessels strayed far outside Hagan’s orbit, then flew in through the checkpoint so as not to be drawn in by gravity pull,” Kay reported. “They put their engines to full blast and shot right out. It takes longer, but it’s the safest route.”

“I’ve got a bad feeling telling me they won’t follow that example,” Herut muttered.

“So what’s the fastest way outta this?” Naja yelled.

“Well, we’d have to approach Hagan’s spin-orbit much sooner, catch it without drawing any closer, ride it all the way through, and shoot out at the proper trajectory. Basically, we’d be like flies trying to hitch a ride on a toy top that’s on fire.”

“Shit, forget about that!”

“Actually, it’s not impossible to pull off,” Shana explained. She grinned cutely and began explaining the physics of it, which was both entertaining and complicated. Only a few people understood what she said (Alala was one of them), so somebody had to water it down.

“What Fuuka said earlier wasn’t entirely fictional,” the catgirl stated. “Let’s think back to the fly analogy. If the fly approaches the top directly, of course it’ll get burned up, but if it angles its escape at 35 degrees right when the top is revolving out, it will escape the pull and thus be shot out much faster than anything it could make on its own. The sun isn’t like a planet or a satellite: it doesn’t revolve around anything. Rather, it does the spinning, and all the other planets are like its slings. But the sun also revolves like a toy top, and if the fly jumps directly on that top and jumps off at the right moment, uh…you all aren’t getting this at all, are you?”

“Sort of,” Allegra winced.

“Yeah, we can kinda see it in our heads,” Fuuka grimaced. Valti sighed gloomily.

I understood it.” Shana was content with that and concluded her lecture.

“Regardless, it’s going to be a rough ride. The ship will actually go faster than it technically can for a few minutes. There’ll be a fair share of shaking and rattling, but the trick is slowing down after that.”

“What for!?” Naja screamed. “I know this bucket of bolts can take that kind of punishment, so why would we wanna give up our lead?!”

“Because if we don’t slow down, the asteroid belt surrounding the next checkpoint will turn us into a flying junkyard,” Yenae answered coolly. “Not even Orihalcum could withstand an onslaught like that at the speed we’re talking about.” Naja snorted, crossed her arms, and lashed her tongue in the air.

“I knew that.”

“Settle down back there!” Kay shouted. “We’re approaching Hagan. It’s going to be Hell from here on out.” The women became grim and clutched tighter to their harnesses; they could already feel the universe rumbling as the Dauntless dove into Hagan’s gravity field. Herut let out a disappointed breath.

“See? I knew they’d do something stupid like this. The way those two treat it, this thing would’ve fallen apart ages ago if I hadn’t been there! I’m sure going to have my hands full once we settle down again!” Shana giggled and gave her a proud smile; Herut grinned back, in spite of her annoyance. The next hour was a tribulation for crew and vessel alike: Hagan was about as young and large as Helios, and it burned with a merciless fury that lashed against the Dauntless like an enraged taskmaster who was only restricted by the length of his whip. Several times, a stray flare shot out and deadened the whole ship: life support, communications, readouts, even artificial gravity were shut down. Emergency power was turned on and the twins were forced to rely on their skills and the laws of physics. Another flare belched out and covered the checkpoint, rendering all access temporarily closed--but the Dauntless could not slow down or stop, and raced towards the fiery gate with demonic persistence.

“Things must be reaching a critical level,” Lyara whispered. The main lights in the emergency room were off, so she was cast in an eerie red glow. “I can sense their feelings, you know. It’s difficult picking them apart from all of yours--I guess you can’t help but feel scared at a time like this--but they’re worried we might not make it. I think something just came up.”

“Well, we’re not dead yet,” Aseria said confidently. “Those two may be a little unsociable and stiff, but their skill is peerless. Maybe only Arileth Naiis or the Ozmund Company could ever match them. Even if they do fail, we know they gave it everything they had. We can’t blame them for that.”

“That’s right!” Fuuka exclaimed cheekily. “All of this is Naja’s fault! She should be the first to die if we don’t make it through!”

“Say that again once we’ve won first place!” she countered nastily. It was a good thing they were both restrained, because otherwise a fight would’ve broken out. In spite of their worries, the crew of the Dauntless rode out their latest trial as the Acheron twins dove underneath the arch of a flare, brushed against the checkpoint, and rode the slingshot gravity to freedom. Escaping was a nightmare--soon all conflicts and problems were forgotten as the crew focused solely on staying in one piece--but this passed as well, and once the Dauntless had settled down, the twins brought the ship to a shaky crawl. Power returned shortly thereafter, and the first thing they did was restore communications to inform their companions of the victory.

 

……

 

“Mr. D, it has come to my attention that the ones I have asked you to remove have just passed the checkpoint around Hagan’s sun and are now en route to the asteroid field. The Jackal is keeping a close watch on the Dead Roses, and has assured me they will meet their proper end once the race is over. I am sending our greatest exterminator to greet them, so all you need to concentrate on is the Dauntless. Bear in mind that you are tolerated out of sheer amusement, and any use you may contribute to my organization is completely miniscule. However, I am willing

to give you chances, permitting you act according to your promises. I must inform you one more time that failure will lead to unpleasantness. Do promise you will not waste my time.”

That was the end of Master’s transmission. Derian scowled and smashed the recorder on the floor, then kicked it until it ran into a robot sweeper, who took it for garbage and swept it up. So the Jackal really was in on this! Derian had been hailed as a devious meddler, a genius, a fierce opponent, and a man who could topple entire empires from the safety of the shadows--and he had the Fog Ninjas as well! Yet no matter what kind of victory he achieved or how much effort he put forth, setbacks or not, Master would only look kindly upon that apathetic witch, and she wasn’t even loyal to the cause! Derian had promised life and limb to Master, because he believed in Master and wanted to mold the universe at his side, but now… Things were so bad that he had to resort to this. Derian would have to risk his own life if he wanted to please Master--he would have to attack the Dauntless inside the asteroid field.

And so, the Backdraft returned to service, deadly and pathetic all at once. He had put the Screaming Skull out of commission according to the designs laid out by Rennai Police, and was on the verge of eliminating the Einlanzer 3, Bulldozer, Kemosabe, and Stormrider as well. Master didn’t tell him to do it--those were his own plans. But now, all that had to be laid aside for a more important venture. Derian hated giving the Dauntless more precedence, but his fear of retribution overpowered every other feeling he had, and he went to work like the obedient little drone he was.

According to Master’s design, the Backdraft had already cleared every checkpoint and only needed to cross the finish line to win, so Derian could take his time hunting. He wouldn’t have to risk his life searching for the marker in the asteroids (or anywhere else); he just needed to make sure his enemies never came out of that death-trap. He slipped into the field and planted several mines at key positions, then hid on one of the larger rocks and waited for his prey to arrive. According to reports, the Dauntless had an Orihalcum alloy built into its armor, so he would have to cripple its systems with a sonic disruptor before unleashing a special corrosive. It came shortly after he settled in, just as Master said, tentatively crawling through the flying rocks, boulders, and dust clouds. Unlike the sun checkpoint, there was no way around the asteroids, but there were safe paths that led to the marker, and Derian was counting on his enemies to take those paths.

The first blast went off immediately. Explosions are silent in space. Since there is also no atmosphere, there are no fires or fumes, but there is a lot of debris, and when debris strikes other debris, it creates even more interference, so even one explosion can cause significant long-term damage (Derian had planted seven). He didn’t giggle for joy just yet, even though it was fun watching his enemies stumble blindly into his trap. The hull would be battered and bruised, but the ship would have just enough energy to limp on into his next attack. Derian set off explosives number two, three, and even number four, just for fun, and finally cackled out loud as the Dauntless was smothered by bits and pieces of asteroid. It was like watching a rotting bison being surrounded by flies: they ate away at the ship, and soon there would be nothing left but bones and bodies floating in the darkness.

 

Kazcada was stunned momentarily as the Dauntless started blasting the rocks away.

“I forgot about that upgrade they took in after the tussle with Chuunaru,” he muttered to himself. “No matter; I still have plenty of explosives left. They can’t possibly blast every asteroid here.” He set off another bomb, but waited for it to go off in vain: the Dauntless was shooting with surgical precision, and had somehow picked up his hidden devices. Frustrated, Derian set off his remaining detonations all at once, but the asteroid field remained undisturbed, and the Dauntless passed through the first gauntlet relatively unscathed. His rage increased even more as he watched them pass by and loop through the checkpoint; the nose turned up away from the asteroids into safety, and in his anger, Derian followed them.

Meanwhile, the crew of the Dauntless was just wrapping up their sighs of relief. They didn’t expect those first two bombs, but they were prepared for the others, and thanks to some clever teamwork and a considerable deal of technological finagling (Herut, Kyrie, and Eve worked their fingers to the bone making that locator), they were able to save themselves any further trouble. But it had been a ride, all the same. The ship was in terrible shape and was limping as bad as Dr. Miracle herself.

“I just hope one of them has a chance for recovery!” Fuuka exclaimed wearily. But nobody was given time to rest or reflect just yet: Derian was openly attacking them, and he wasn’t holding back. He even managed to grab a few asteroids with his ship’s grappler arms and threw them out; Eve and Allegra took the main guns and defended their territory well.

“So he’s actually attacking us inside the asteroid field?” Kasberry shouted.

“Looks like it! I guess he got tired o’ sendin’ his lackeys after us and came by to finish the job hisself. Looks like we’re just a cat caught in a tree!”

“I think I’ve seen something like this in an old Earth film before. It was about a guy who went into an asteroid field to escape his pursuers. I thought it was a documentary at first!”

“Oh yeah? What happened to em’?”

“Well, the guy went inside this cave that was in one of the larger asteroids so he could wait for his enemies to pass him by. But that turned out to be a big mistake--they weren’t alone in that cave!”

“Scratch one idea,” Allegra mumbled. “I’m guessin’ his enemies didn’t make it out.”

“No, but here’s the thing: the heroes made it out safely, and they hid themselves on the radar control of their enemy’s ship so they couldn‘t be found. Once everything settled down, they disguised their ship in the enemy’s garbage, and floated away safe. Uh…I didn’t see what happened after that. I had to give the film back to my old boss, and she lost it.”

“Can’t really apply that here, sug,” Allegra called out. The Backdraft and the Dauntless were locked in a mortal dogfight amidst the rubble of the asteroid belt; occasionally they would be

struck by a glancing rock, and sometimes one of the larger ones sailed precariously by. The Acherons were too skilled to be taken down by space rocks, but they had to give their enemy credit as well--he was no slouch when it came to dancing around flying boulders. That they managed to fly and fight each other was a marvel in itself.

“You’d think they’d at least try and get us out of this fucking mess we’re in!” Lillianne screamed. “What’s going on in their heads, anyway? Okay, so I get we were ambushed in a vulnerable position! Fine! But they could, ya know, try and get out before blasting the other guy to pieces!”

“Would if we could,” Tee grumbled; apparently her transmission had picked up that latest rant. “It’s not a matter of just flying somewhere safe, you know. This guy isn’t fooling around: he’s really out for our blood.”

“Shields are at 59,” Kay added. “Try to relax, okay? We’re working on an escape plan. Once we’re free, we’ll turn the tables and he won’t know what hit him.”

“Oh, he’ll know, all right!” Lil roared sadistically. “The moment we catch up to that little prick, my foot’s going right for his testicles! I’ll tear his face off and shove his teeth through his ears, then I’ll punch a hole through his belly, rip out his spinal cord, and use it to hang him by his ankles! After that, I’ll start getting nasty!” Aseria rolled her eyes, wishing that her companion could at least try to show some civility.

“I’d be content to crack his ship open and watch him slip into the void,” she muttered. “So can we radio anybody for help?”

“Negative,” Kay said, “the asteroids are interfering with our broadcast. Eve, Allegra, keep firing! Pardon me, but one of the big asteroids we hit burst into a big particle shower, and our enemy accidentally flew right into it. He’s as blind as we were when the Opportune Rain jettisoned on us.”

“Holy shit, that’s right!” Naja blurted suddenly. “This is the same guy that attacked us back then, isn’t it? Damn it, I wanted to get my revenge, too! Why do the freaks get to have so much fun?!” Tee spat in shock; the effect was lessened since nobody could see her face.

“If you want to try flying this thing while dodging asteroids and fighting an unpredictable maniac, be my guest!”

“I am qualified,” Naja answered humbly. Her face suddenly lit up and she pushed her way into the main cockpit, shoving the twins aside. They politely brushed themselves off and stepped away, wondering how long it would take before Naja regretted her decision. She turned out to be surprisingly competent, and even managed to give the Backdraft the slip. Naja had to drain the ship’s ammunition and most of its energy, but now they were clear of the danger and had a good long stretch of space to run in.

“Full speed ahead!” the Elshyrin screeched triumphantly. It was hard not to laugh at the situation: nobody expected Naja to save the day or redeem herself. The Backdraft quickly

emerged from its prison and chased after the Dauntless, but it was in no condition to run, and was forced to putter along on reserve power and sheer momentum. Naja Elapidae laughed at her opponent and easily put distance between them, and soon their enemy was just a speck in the distance.

 

Ten minutes passed before she collapsed out of misery. She had completely forgotten about her beautiful revenge.

“Darn it,” she groaned. “And we had em’ in our sights, too. This really sucks! I don’t wanna go back, but I still feel like blasting that son of a bitch! Uuugghh…Kayleigh, Teleah, why don’t you take over? I need to punch something.”

“You’ve earned that at least,” they said warmly. She managed to return their smile, and slithered over to the training room, hoping to find a sparring partner. Striking a punching-bag just wasn’t her style.

 

……

 

The crew of the Dauntless had a bit more competition for the next two checkpoints, but at least their rivals weren’t nearly as aggressive as Derian had been! Kaori, Lord Demise Jr., Shandra, and Fai-lynn of Tigris had all made it to the aquatic world of Hagan 5 at the same time, which meant they would all be swimming together to reach the checkpoint. Race officials had cleverly hidden it underneath the vast oceans, and scanning equipment could only venture so much before the pilots were forced to rely on instinct. Lord Demise Jr. chivalrously decided to point out where the marker was so the other ladies wouldn’t have such a hard time finding it, and went on ahead with all sensors running. Aseria, who had taken over piloting the Dauntless for the weary Acheron sisters, couldn’t help but chuckle at the boy’s enthusiasm, but preferred to rely on her own abilities. She dove in second and the race began anew.

Infinite oceans require infinite time to describe, and the waters of Hagan 5 were vast and ever-changing. Among the thousands of wonders lurking in the deep were whales that could rise above the surface and float briefly in the air; they had a civilization and a society all of their own, and were regarded as intelligent species, though they rarely interacted with the outside worlds. There were also mer-folk swimming around, but they were mostly wild and savage creatures who either ran from the competing vessels or attacked them, throwing spears and exquisite projectiles (there were, of course, civilized mer-folk, but they were scarce on this planet, and they only revealed themselves once to cheer for the brave pilots). Fai-lynn was mesmerized by the clusters of aquatic life and vowed to return here for a fishing expedition (and to possibly seduce some mermaids); Kaori patrolled the waters cautiously, wary of leviathans, serpents, krakens, and the like.

An important notice must be made about these alien forms of life. While human civilization thrived on Gaia (or Earth), stories were created about mythical creatures and fictional lands. Gods, heroes, demons, spirits, and other fantastic beings interacted in these stories all the time, but with only a few notable exceptions, such as the validity of the Trojan War, these myths remained myths. Progression into the far reaches of space proved many of these “fantasies” to be alarmingly realistic: there were such thing as mermaids, unicorns, krakens, Cyclopes, centaurs, and intelligent beasts of every species; one just had to look for them, and more importantly, one had to love and admire them with prudence and respect. A Gorgon could be your friend or your enemy, depending on how you treated them (results of the latter spoke for themselves).

Kaori’s caution paid off. She had been watching for these kinds of creatures, and was prepared to run when an enormous squid passed next to her. Luckily, it was not on the prowl and regarded the amphibious ships with the same indifference it gave to the whales, and so Kaori escaped to clear the marker first. Lord Demise Jr. nearly ran into it as he searched for the checkpoint, and poor Fai-lynn accidentally attacked it. The monstrous mollusk was stunned, and lashed out lazily, like a horse swatting flies with its tail. Fai-lynn barely escaped with one of her nine lives, and from that moment on, her crew never stopped making “tentacle” jokes. Shandra’s determination to seek out the checkpoint on her own meant she went through after everyone else, but she went through without any trouble; even the Dauntless was halted as two warring armies of mer-folk interfered with their voyage.

An entirely new set of rivals gave them a challenge during the long marathon run to the ice world. Kaori still hung around to pester them, but now the Zephyr was in on the fun, and was showing just why it was a fan favorite: it had Sati’s acceleration, the equipment of the Opportune Rain, the duration of the Dauntless, and a top-notch pilot who took his job very seriously. Tinma was a worthy foe and an honorable man; he made sure to keep his work clean and fair, and never held back even in the long cold loneliness. Sati had come around as well, and was trying to goad Aseria and Kaori for a rematch, but neither woman was going to take the bait (but at least Aseria didn’t ignore the outgoing woman). Lyara panicked as she saw the Renegade, and prayed her presence would go unnoticed. Rebecca and Sharyn wanted to confront her about it, since they felt like they were fairly close to her, but Lyara just shook her head and asked to be left alone.

“It’s just a personal matter, all right? I don’t want you involved. Asara can be a ruthless, manipulative devil when she’s in the mood, and she can turn your best friends into your mortal enemies. If nothing else happens between us from here on out, there won’t be much point in telling you anyway. It’s just…old history to me now. I am glad you care, but please…don’t ask me anymore.”

“If you so wish it, may it be done.” Sharyn gave her a shy, pretty smile, and left the room; Rebecca thought Lyara could use a hug, and approached her. She was held back by a soft gesture.

“Don’t. I’ve said enough. Come up with something better to talk about the next time you visit.”

“…Sure.”

 

The Renegade managed to slip through the frozen checkpoint first, but the Zephyr was right on its tail, with the Dauntless gaining on them both. Sati opened up a channel and offered to buy a congratulatory round of drinks for everybody, but Tinma and Asara refused (to Lyara’s relief).

“I’m too young to drink anyway,” the Zephyr’s pilot deadpanned. “However, I might need to refuel. I will not be staying long, so please don’t consider this a social call.”

“Hmph, suit yourself. What about you, Miss Renegade?”

“We’re fine. I hate alcohol, anyway. I never drink…wine.” She smiled sarcastically and saluted; Sati’s ears drooped momentarily but perked up again as Aseria took her up on the offer.

“I suppose we could get out and exercise before the final stretch. I know of one person who’s impatient to meet you!” She dragged Riene over and forced her to wave at the video feed. Sati laughed and waved back; her tail wagged and her heart leaped for joy. She always had been attracted to the smart, sophisticated, quieter types, and Latoli fit that description flawlessly.

“So I guess this will end up being another date,” Chandra sighed to herself. She opened up a channel to the Stormrider and studied Kaori Chuunaru for a moment. She was right around Chandra’s age, and in spite of her stiff neck and fanatical obedience to military rule (which Chandra considered a turn-on anyway), she was actually a very beautiful woman. She had a light tan from spending most of her life at the beaches on Gaia, and had the narrow eyes and jet-black hair that made Asians so distinct. Kaori had a sexy figure and it really showed behind her uniform. Chandra had fallen in lust at first sight…again.

“And what about you?” she sang coyly. “Will you be joining us as well? We can make it a date as well, Captain. I really think it’s time we start acting like friends. I’d hate to make an enemy out of someone so pretty.” Kaori jerked back in surprise and stuttered. She was a role model to her subordinates and an example of true loyalty and valor, but she was also very susceptible to flirting--especially if a knockout like Chandra was the one delivering.

“Um, well, you, uh…I probably shouldn’t really…um, I mean…I can’t think of a reason to…uh…oh, drat, I’ve lost my train of thought. It’s…really not good for me to be socializing with you, uh…”

“Please?” Chandra whispered, batting her eyelids helplessly. “Can’t you let that luxurious hair of yours down for a moment? I would be so happy if you could. I promise to make it worth your time.” Kaori tried to think of another protest--she was really a shy person underneath her rigid exterior--but fortunately, several romantics were on hand to help deliver her to the promised land.

“Go ahead and do it! Nobody will ever blame you for it! Gals like you deserve a little personal time every once in awhile!”

“I think Miss Yeriman is right,” Aseria chuckled. “You should come down and socialize. I know we’ve had our scrapes before, but maybe we can work something out. We’ve got a lot of convincing diplomats here with us!”

“Besides, your power, fuel, and supplies are bound to be low,” Mink added. She wasn’t smiling, but her eyes indicated she really wanted Kaori to join them all. Chuunaru hesitated for one final moment before consigning herself to their wishes.

“Just for one day, all right? And I’m doing this for my crew, not myself.”

“Whatever pleases you,” Chandra grinned. She winked at Kaori one last time before the video feed was cut, and had the distinct pleasure of watching the other woman smile briefly.

 

--

 

Preview of next chapter

Kyrie: That jerk! Why is Derian trying to kill us?

Valti: Maybe because you broke his heart, honey. I know you broke mine!

Kyrie: Hey, you dumped me, Briggs! Besides, I’ve never even met the guy! If anything, he should be protecting a celebrity inventor like myself!

Valti: Should he, now…

Lil: And yet we’re getting our butts kicked by that Pyrosian nerd! What say we end this and blast our way to the finish!

Valti: Great idea! But we’ve got a long way to go and a truckload of rivals to pass, and they’re not just gonna roll over and let us have it!

Kyrie: Wait, so this means… YAHOO!! Full speed ahead! Now I can REALLY show these people how to cook! It’s gonna be a hot time in the old town tonight!!

Lil: It’s the final countdown of the race, and it’ll be anybody’s game to the very end! Stay tuned for “Space Race: a great showdown!”

Valti: Maybe Derian’s just envious of our beautiful Sapphic relationships.

Lil: Yeah, men can be such Mulians sometimes.

Fuuka: I knew it!!

Lil: OMG STFU!!

Onwards to Part 30


Back to Voyage of the Dauntless Index - Back to Original Fiction Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction