Final Distance (part 26 of 30)

a Mai HiME fanfiction by jaded088

Back to Part 25 Untitled Document

“…Hey, Shizuru?”

“Hm?”

“What was it about me…that you liked more than anyone else?”

The two women had been lying on Natsuki’s bed for over an hour, nearly dozing off on several occasions, simply reveling in the presence and warmth of the other. Few words were spoken; only gentle caresses were shared between the two who had found contentment in their mutual feelings for one another. It wasn’t until now that either of them had tried to strike up an actual conversation, but in the silence that had passed, Natsuki’s mind couldn’t help but ponder the question, and so, with alert ears, she awaited Shizuru’s reply.

“Well,” the older woman began, “Natsuki is very cute…”

A frown, and the girl propped herself up to look down into the deep russet eyes of the woman beside her.

“That can’t be it, can it?”

“Natsuki also has the best reactions to my teasing—“

“Shizuru…” came the growl from the Vedelian’s throat, laced with disappointment.

There was a light, amused chuckle, and soon a hand rose to softly cup Natsuki’s cheek.

“It was Natsuki’s strength…your honesty, stubbornness, determination…your kindness…it wasn’t long before I was quite taken with you.”

A small amount of color arose in the girl’s cheeks, accompanied by a content smile before Natsuki settled back into the comfort that was her companion’s arms. A lazy hand intertwined itself in her silken-dark hair, and the young Vedelian’s eyes had just begun to drift shut when suddenly her own question was thrown right back at her.

“And what about me?” Shizuru’s accented voice questioned.

“Hm?” came the sleepy reply.

“Natsuki asked what I liked about her, and that made me curious to know what it was that she liked about me?”

“When I first met you,” Natsuki began, the words spoken slowly, “I had a great admiration for your abilities as an Otome. As an upperclassmen, I looked up to you, respected you, and I still do, but…over time, as we got to know each other more and more, I slowly began to see the other aspects of you. Your caring nature, your teasing nature. Your patience, intelligence, strength…how human you are.” Pausing for a moment, Natsuki tried to collect her jumbled thoughts, “To see both sides, the perfect and the imperfect; I wanted to know the ‘you’ that you didn’t show anyone else.” Shifting slightly, the girl turned her head to look at Shizuru who did the same, “I want to know the ‘you’ that you don’t show anyone else…Shizuru. I want to see your flaws, your sadness, your anger…To look past the fearless Column to the woman underneath. I want to see you bare and open; I want to know every part of you, good and bad. I want to accept it all, love it all.”

For a moment, Natsuki averted her eyes, a sheepishness seeming to take over her features, “D-Did I say too much…?”

A simple shake of the head was the only answer the girl received before being drawn into Shizuru’s strong embrace.

“Sh-Shizu—“

“Thank you, Natsuki.”

“…Mh.”

“If you allow me…I too would like to know all of Natsuki.”

“Mh.”

Snuggling closer, Natsuki relaxed in her friend’s hold, listening to Shizuru’s steady heartbeat as her resolve strengthened.

I can do it. With you by my side, Shizuru, surely…”

“Hey, Shizuru?” Natsuki began for the second time today.

“Hm?” the woman beside her gave her the same drowsy response, obviously on the verge of slipping back into the dream-world.

“Would you come with me to Vedel?” the girl questioned, “I need to tell my mother…that I’ll be staying in Windbloom for a while.”

The statement certainly snapped sleeping beauty into waking as the Column practically pounced on top of her younger counterpart faster than Natsuki could fathom.

“Do you mean—”

A swift finger quickly and effectively silenced a wide-eyed Shizuru as a confident grin spread across Natsuki’s face.

Onwards to Part 27


Back to Final Distance Index - Back to Mai HiME Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction