The Power of Fate (part 11 of 13)

a Higurashi no Naku Koro ni fanfiction by MousE0910

Back to Part 10

Problem Solved

The next day, Ooishi left from his home soon in the morning. He made his way to the police station, entered his car and left for Tokyo. Soon, he will get all the information he wants. They may be little girls but they know way more than they are saying. He still couldn't bring himself to believe she could be the culprit but he has to be prepared for anything. Ooishi checked his gun, Kevlar vest and handcuffs. He looked back at his new shotgun, Spas 12. Yes, he has to be prepared for absolutely anything. Anything.

Meanwhile, at the Sonozaki residence, a group of youths discussed an important topic.

"Is everyone here?" Keiichi looked around and saw nodding heads.

"But Keiichi, why are Rika and Hanyuu not here?" Mion wondered.

"Well, that's because we will be talking about them right now. About things that would be better if they didn't hear."

"What do you mean?"

"Did you know that the police called them in yesterday?"

"What?" This time, it was Rena who reacted.

"But, but they didn't do anything bad, did they? Hauu~" Rena was clearly shaken and worried about her friends.

"I don't know but I don't think they did anything wrong."

"I hope they are OK. Poor Rika, she lost her parents and now she has to go through this." Satoko voiced her concern for her best friend.

"There's no need to worry Satoko. We'll help them with whatever problem they may have. How about we paid a visit to them right now?"

"Yeah!" Everyone agreed in one voice.

Ever since she confessed her feelings to Hanyuu, Rika felt obliged to protect her love interest with all her power. It wasn't that she felt guilty about torturing her. She loved her, yet she tortured her. However, Rika didn't feel guilty about it. For some reason, Rika thought that she tortured Hanyuu not for fun but for love. For her love, for her love of Hanyuu. At first, Rika wondered if it's even possible that she may by in love with Hanyuu but as time passed, she began to accept her feelings. Every time she saw Hanyuu, her heart would miss a beat. She completely fell in love with her. But there was also something more, something sinister in her heart. She wondered what it could be but every time she thought about it, she got a sudden urge to destroy things around. After the experiences from previous worlds, she knew she had to be more careful. She can't afford to lose now. She has to prevail. For Hanyuu. Rika spent a long time thinking about Ooishi's friend. If he had connections, he could get any warrant he wanted and more. This could be a problem. Suddenly, an idea crossed Rika's mind. She grinned at the thought. She smiled evilly at Hanyuu, who was sitting on the floor beside her.

"Looks like our problem will be solved very soon Hanyuu."

The purple-haired goddess could only nod her head sheepishly.

"W-What is this?" Keiichi couldn't believe his eyes.

"Rika! Rika! Are you there?" Satoko was on the verge of breaking in tears.

They just wanted to visit Rika and Hanyuu but nothing could prepare them for what they were seeing now. The whole Furude residence has been completely reduced to rubble. What could cause such destruction was a mystery.

"Rika! Rika!" Satoko was now uncontrollably crying, unable to hold her emotions in any longer. Shion kneeled down and offered her shoulder to the little girl she swore to protect.

"But what-" Rena's question was cut short by Mion.

"Be quiet. I hear somebody. Maybe the ones who did this are still around." She motioned her friends to hide in nearby bushes and observed the situation. She saw a dark figure coming in front of the residence and yelling and some other people she couldn't see. Although she couldn't make out the words, the voice seemed to belong to a female. Mion almost gasped in surprise when all around them people started to emerge from the forest. Shion had to place a hand on Satoko's mouth to silence her sobbing. Mion heard something and turned her head only to see that Keiichi made his way next to her.

"Who do you think those people are?" Keiichi whispered to her so quietly she could barely hear him.

"I don't know but that woman seems to be their leader."

"Woman? What woman?"

"The one before the residence."

"How can you be so sure she is a woman? I can't see a thing from here."

"Shhh. They are talking about something." Mion tried to catch a little from their conversation.

"Well, did you found her?"

"I'm terribly sorry but we cannot find her even when we searched the forest and the shrine."

"And they said that the Yamainu are the best at hunting people down. I paid you good money. How come you can't find a little girl when there's more than twenty of you?"

It was obvious that the woman is pretty angry.

"Okonogi, come over here."

A man, obviously called Okonogi came to the woman and the light of his flashlight finally allowed Mion and Keiichi to see the identity of the woman.

"But that… that is impossible." Keiichi could only stare at the person lit by the flashlight. It didn't make any sense.

"What, what? What is happening?" Rena noticed that both Keiichi and Mion became stiff. Mion could only point her finger. Rena looked over where Mion pointed and her eyes became large.

"That… That is Takano!" Rena shouted and only too late she realized it and covered her mouth. Before she could do anything else, the Yamainu completely surrounded them.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here? Rika's sweet little friends. So, how did you learn about my plan? How did you help her escape? Where is she hiding now?"

Keiichi stood up and angrily looked at Takano.

"What are you talking about? You are the one who did something to Rika. I don't know what plan are you talking about or anything about Rika hiding but I know that you won't get away with this. The police will surely get you."

"Oh? I wouldn't be so sure about that." Takano laughed a horrible laugh, grabbed a gun from her holster and aimed it at Keiichi.

"You have annoyed me long enough little brat."

A gunshot ringed through the forest.

"Keiichi! Keiichi! No! How dare you! I'll kill you! I'll kill you all!" Mion could barely see through the tears that swelled in her eyes. She wanted to get up but suddenly, something hit her hard in the back of her head. The world started to fade to black. Mion desperately tried to stretch her hand and touch Keiichi.

"Keiichi… I… love you…" Her words trailed off as the darkness engulfed her.

Something didn't seem right. Ooishi at first thought the receptionist at the desk had to go to bathroom but after waiting for fifteen minutes, he got back to his car and got both his Kevlar vest and the shotgun. He didn't like this not even a little bit. Even though it was night, there should always be someone on the reception. After all, the skyscraper his friend lived in was one of the biggest in the whole Tokyo. Luckily, Ooishi remembered the floor on which his friend lived. He made his way to the elevators only to find out that the electricity in the whole building is out. He was more and more sure that there's something terribly wrong. Ooishi looked at the stairs and sighed.

"I'm too old for this. But I have to know the truth. No matter what." With renewed resolve, Ooishi stepped up the stairs.

As Ooishi climbed the last stair, he immediately knew he is in danger. He looked at the apartment his friend was living in and froze in his tracks. The doors were completely destroyed. There were splinters everywhere. Ooishi didn't hesitate and run in the apartment. What he saw there dropped him to his knees. The room was completely destroyed and before him, hung from the ceiling was his friend. At least Ooishi thought it was his friend. His head was completely crushed, the rest of the body was skinned and his entrails slowly slid from his body. Ooishi couldn't look anymore and had to puke. When he rose again he saw a little blue-haired girl standing behind the body. She slowly turned around and smiled at Ooishi. Her mouth opened and Ooishi heard two words that would haunt him for the rest of his life. "Problem solved."

Onwards to Part 12


Back to The Power of Fate Index - Back to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction