The Power of Fate (part 10 of 13)

a Higurashi no Naku Koro ni fanfiction by MousE0910

Back to Part 9

The Investigation

"Hmm... This is pretty strange, don't you think, Kuma?" A man ducked and inspected corpses laying on the ground.

"Yes, it is. I have never seen anything like this before. Do you have any ideas?"

"Not even one. This is a complete mystery. The first victim could be explained somehow but the other two..." The man stood up from the corpses and looked around.

"Eh? What is this? Kuma! Please investigate it. That pipe could be important evidence."

"Okay. I'll take care of it."

"Good. Good. I wonder if we can get some fingerprints from it."

"Hey! Come over here!"

"What is it, Kuma?"

"Look at this. It's a piece of cloth."

The man came to Kuma, who was investigating the motorbikes and looked where Kuma pointed. A piece of cloth was stuck on one of the bikes.

"Nice find, Kuma. Take it as evidence too."

"Okay." Kuma carefully put the paper into an evidence bag. "Eh? What is this? There's some name on it. Look."

Kuma handed the paper to the man. The man took it and read the name. His eyes grew large as he realized whose name is written on it.

'Furude H.'

Kuma looked over the shoulder of the man.

"Hmm... 'Furude H.' Do you know that person, Ooishi?"

Ooishi only stood in awe, unable to respond. He just couldn't grasp how she relates to all this.

"Au! Au! I tore my clothes somewhere. Rika won't be happy about this." Hanyuu thought as she prepared to take a bath. She slowly laid herself into the water. It was hot and felt good on her body. Just as Hanyuu began to close her eyes, the door opened. Rika came into the bathroom and smiled at Hanyuu with her special smile. Hanyuu realized that Rika is naked. She lifted herself from the bath to make room when Rika's voice stopped her.

"Stay there. You don't have to leave."

Hanyuu was confused.

"Rika surely wants to take a bath but why does she want me to stay in..." She tried to make something from it. It surprised her when Rika got into the bath with her. Hanyuu couldn't imagine why.

"Hanyuu, I'm a little tired, can I lay my head on your belly?"

"Of course, mistress Rika." Hanyuu was embarrassed with the thought but she didn't dare to refuse Rika. Besides, something in her wanted Rika to be close to her. She looked at Rika and, for some reason, started to pat her head. Hanyuu realized what she is doing and quickly stopped.

"Please, continue." Rika's reaction completely dazzled Hanyuu. She did something o her own accord and this was the first time that Rika didn't punish her for that. She continued to pat Rika. Hanyuu felt good to be so close to her. Rika groaned happily.

"Hanyuu..." Rika turned and looked directly into Hanyuu's eyes. "I think... I think I love you, Hanyuu. I really do."

Hanyuu stared at Rika thinking about what Rika just said. Could it be possible?

"I love you too, Rika. I truly love you." It was a genuine answer. Hanyuu meant it. She fell in love with Rika long time ago and often imagined a scene like this. It was a dream come true. Rika smiled at Hanyuu in her own special way and slowly raised her head to Hanyuu.

"Hanyuu..." Rika didn't say anything else and kissed Hanyuu passionately.

"Ooishi! I got the results from evidence test." Kuma hurried to the desk of his superior.

"Okay, let me look at them." Kuma handed the papers to Ooishi. "Hmm... this is strange... Kuma, did you know this?"

"What?"

"Look at this. The fingerprints on the pipe. They belong to the thug that was smacked with it."

"How could he smack himself with such power? And why would he do that in the first place?"

"Look closer at the results. Deep fingerprint scan revealed something else. There are someone else's fingerprints besides the thug's."

"Other fingerprints? Whose?"

"They belong to Hanyuu Furude. The same girl that lost that piece of cloth we found yesterday."

"You can't be thinking that such a small girl could kill three big men, smashing their skulls."

"Well, although it's extremely unlikely, it is one of the possibilities. Either way, she is somehow connected to this. I'll find that link and solve this mystery. I have to, for my old man."

"I understand. But what about the other two? The ones we found in the alley. Their heads were crushed in a way no weapon can do. It looks almost like they exploded from inside out."

"Well, looks like our only lead is Hanyuu. Let's see if questioning her will reveal anything. Get us a car Kuma!"

"Yes sir!"

Hanyuu and Rika were sitting at a table in the police station, looking into Ooishi's sharp eyes. Kuma was outside, not to interfere with anything.

"So, Hanyuu. What can you tell us about this?" Ooishi raised a piece of cloth that had Hanyuu's name on it.

"Au... Au..." Hanyuu didn't know what to say when , suddenly, she heard Rika's voice in her head.

"Tell him the truth. You just tore your clothes somewhere."

Hanyuu calmed down a little. Everything will be alright if Rika tells her what to do.

"I tore my clothes somewhere. I already found out when I got home. But it's nice of you to be so mindful." The last bitter sentence didn't came from Hanyuu's head but she didn't dare to defy Rika.

"That's not what I meant!" Ooishi didn't look pleased with the remark. "If you're so smart, what will you say about this!" Ooishi grabbed something under the table and placed it on the table. It was the metal pipe. There was still some dried blood on it.

"Deny it, Hanyuu! Deny it!" Rika mentally shouted to Hanyuu. However, Hanyuu only stood there in shock.

"Hmm? What's the matter? Looks familiar?" Ooishi had big grin on his face. He is getting to the core now.

Since Hanyuu was still unresponsive, Rika took lead.

"We refuse further police questioning. You have to get a warrant."

That surely posed a problem. It would not be possible for Ooishi to get warrant on such young girls and especially not if he thinks that they may be the murderers. Ooishi was sure Rika knew that. However, he had an ace in his sleeve.

"Okay. I'll be back tomorrow with a warrant. You know, I have a friend in the government, he can get me one." Rika knew Ooishi wasn't bluffing. A worried expression crossed Rika's face. Then she thought of something.

"You will never get it. Never." Rika said in her mature tone.

"We'll see about that." Ooishi took leave, angrily smashing the door behind himself.

Onwards to Part 11


Back to The Power of Fate Index - Back to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction