The Hidden Waters of the Heart (part 3 of 3)

a Legend of Zelda fanfiction by Diane "Miss Leanne" Taylor

Back to Part 2

Two days after Ruto and Zelda parted ways in the Water Temple, Zelda met with Link in the frozen cave just beyond Zora’s Domain.

Their conversation was brief, but it managed to throw Zelda further into a state of confusion. Her feelings for Link felt as though they were amplified: “Time passes, people move. Like a river's flow, it never ends. A childish mind will turn to noble ambition. Young love will become deep affection. The clear water’s surface reflects growth.” It was a saying that Impa had often repeated to her during happier times. Impa’s intentions were to instruct the younger Zelda, but Zelda spoke to Link with more meaning behind those words.

She felt split between her attraction to Ruto and her tenderness for Link. Her encounters with Link were always very brief – what could come of them? But her encounter with Ruto had alerted her to odd sensations she had not imagined feeling and she was not completely convinced she had time to feel. She needed to rejoin Ganondorf’s court or else he might become suspicious of Sheik’s character.

As she turned her face towards her old childhood home, she found herself longing to immerse herself in the cool water once more, to be lost in a world in which she could not breathe, but in which she could lose her burdens. Zelda wished she could set her worries to the side for even a little while. In her day dreams, she talked with Ruto about things that did not revolve around Hyrule and its fate:

Where do you see yourself living the longest? Zelda asked Ruto in her mind.

Well, I know that there are Zoras who live outside Hyrule, Ruto answered. Zoras who live in oceans, long rivers, and waterfalls – I want to see them, see what they are like. But I don’t know if I’ll live among them, or if I’ll travel about. But I do know that I want to travel beyond this country’s limits. What about you, Zelda?

I don’t…I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to go beyond Hyrule. Especially not as Zelda, she replied. My people don’t know I’m alive, but I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I just abandoned them. There isn’t anyone else to take the throne besides me.

And it’ll be a very lonely throne? Ruto asked.

Maybe not forever, Zelda said. Maybe I’ll marry. Maybe I won’t. Or maybe I’ll be too busy to be lonely. But I’ll try to find a trust worthy friend amongst the sycophants and courtiers begging for my favors.

But don’t you think that traveling beyond Hyrule would benefit your reign? Ruto said. You would have the chance to see other cultures and gain new worldviews.

Traveling is a necessity, regardless of who you are or the distance you need to go, Ruto. Zelda said. But to stay away, to never have the responsibility of making decisions for the whole kingdom – that I long for. It’s not that I don’t want responsibilities, I want a different set of responsibilities. And yet, I want to see my kingdom restored to its former glory. I want to see it free, freer than I can ever be…

Zelda shook her head. Thoughts of defeating Ganondorf permeated her essence of being: she was little more than the desire to bring him down. Her identity was found in her intrinsic nature first, her status as regent princess second and her role as Sheik third, but she hadn’t counted on years of fighting a war that slowly chipped her into a new identity that constituted only leftovers from her previous identities. Her mission had become her singularity.

Zelda did not believe in looking back – that is where regret is formed, she said to herself – but the feeling of loss continued to permeate many of her thoughts. She wanted to grieve the loss of the little girl she had been when Ganondorf first took over the nation’s rule, but there was no time. She must fulfill her mission before it was too late.

After several hours, Zelda reached the walls of Castle Town. Out of pure habit formed from years of wariness, she tightened her mask and set her right foot firmly forward to the broken drawbridge.

~~~

Zelda, under the guise of Sheik, entered the open door to Ganondorf’s council chamber and saw the warlord alone in the room, sitting in his wooden chair with one elbow propped up on the table and his head resting upon his fist. At first, Zelda thought he was sleeping, but a change in angle proved that he was not sleeping, rather, deep in contemplation.

“My liege?” Sheik said very quietly, almost under his breath.

Ganondorf looked up from his intense gaze upon the floor. “Sheik,” he said. Zelda bowed and he returned his gaze to the floor. Zelda stood in her place for several moments before Ganondorf spoke again.

“Sheik, why do you serve me?” Ganondorf asked, bringing his gaze back up to look deep into Zelda’s eyes.

Zelda’s insides quailed. This is no time to fear, Zelda!

“My lord, my people and are only made of shadows,” Zelda said. “If we do not have a form to fill, then we are of no substance or service at all.”

“And whose form do you fill?” Ganondorf asked.

Zelda was already quite uncomfortable with this line of questioning but there wasn’t a way out. Any unusual response she could give opened herself to exposure and arousing Ganondorf’s suspicions. That is…unless…Ganondorf’s suspicions are already aroused, Zelda thought. Her heart clenched at the brief thought.

“Only the form you require of me, my lord,” Zelda said, hoping he only heard firm, decisive tones in Sheik’s voice. “Before you found me, I had nothing to hold onto, but you gave me that which I needed.”

Ganondorf watched Sheik’s face carefully, scanning his eyes and facial movements for hints. There’s more than just a mask on his face, Ganondorf thought. He’s been trained to demonstrate little to no emotion – that much is clear. He doesn’t give that much away, but there’s something decidedly off here.

Ganondorf broke the long silence. “Have you found the whereabouts of Princess Zelda?” He asked, not breaking his stare at Sheik’s face.

“I have news. It may be old, but I know it is authentic,” Sheik said.

“Indeed?” Ganondorf said, straightening in his chair.

“I remember seeing this on the Princess myself before your lordship took control of Hyrule,” Zelda said, producing the cloth head covering that she had once worn as a child.

Ganondorf took it from Sheik and examined it carefully, turning it over.

“I also saw her wear it as a child,” Ganondorf said. Zelda feigned surprise. “Where did you find it?”

“There was an old house in Kakariko Village that seems to have been abandoned for several years,” Zelda said. “I found it there, as well as other items that did not seem to have a correlation between them and the Princess.”

“Hmmm,” Ganondorf said and said nothing more. He fingered the fabric of the head covering and gazed absentmindedly at a corner.

Zelda had felt it safe to reveal the old hiding place for her and her nursemaid, Impa. Impa had gone on to protect the Temple of Shadow and Zelda was no longer there often enough to make an impression in the place. Even if Ganondorf sent his lackeys over to the house to search it for missing clues, they wouldn’t find any. Zelda had removed all the things she and Impa had considered precious to another location and left only uninteresting items behind.

“Obviously, I’m going to ask you to continue to search for the Princess,” Ganondorf said. Sheik bowed. “But I’m glad to see some progress. It seems you broke into the Princess’s nursemaid’s stronghold, even if it had been abandoned.”

“Then, if I may continue my search…” Zelda said, allowing the implication to hang. Ganondorf inclined his head and dismissed Sheik. Zelda slipped out of the chamber as quickly as she could.

Ganondorf waited until Sheik cleared the doorway before he spoke. “Sheik may not be Sheik at all,” Ganondorf said to the two witches floating silently out of the shadows to hover above behind his chair. “There was too much tentativeness in his voice this time. My questions seemed to have unnerved him.”

Koume and Kotake did not say anything.

“Have you been successful in discovering his true identity?” Ganondorf asked.

Kotake smiled and floated down to come directly before the evil ruler. “We may have an idea,” she said.

~~~

Zelda immediately set course for the Water Temple and did not deviate from her path. The conversation with Ganondorf had unnerved her. Not even the brisk walk to Lake Hylia completely cleared her mind. She had no idea what her course of action would be: she couldn’t refuse Ganondorf’s summons to his councils and yet with each meeting, the feeling in her heart increased that Ganondorf did not believe in the disguise of Sheik.

I can’t return to his stronghold, Zelda thought. I’ve never felt so exposed. The sooner Link awakens the Sages, the better. Ganondorf may already think… She didn’t want to finish the thought.

Zelda ran through the dark of night to fulfill her promise to Ruto – Zelda would return to her and take her to El Dominio to see if it had unfrozen. If it hadn’t, perhaps there was anything they could do. Perhaps Ruto and Link could collaborate on an idea about unfreezing the place.

Zelda leaped over the fences enclosing the entrance to the Lake and continued running as hard as she could force her legs to pump. When she reached the edge of the water, she thought hard but briefly about the possibility of repeating her experience with the crazed barracuda. She was looking about for a safe way in when the Lake suddenly began to rise in volume – Ruto and Link had their victory!

Quickly, Zelda dashed to an island adjacent to Lake Hylia’s center in which there was a solitary tree. A better view, I need a better view! Zelda thought.

Just then, she heard a terrific amount of splashing, several deep breaths and the rustling of the tree. Zelda turned to see the source of the noises and saw that it was Link, climbing up onto the embankment and using the tree for help. Zelda quickly went to his side and pulled him onto the island. Link rolled over onto his back and flopped his arms to the side, breathing loudly.

“Thank you, Sheik,” Link said. Zelda nodded in his direction and continued to watch the Lake rise. Link stood up noisily and adjusted his tunic and equipment strapped to his back.

“I’m glad to see this Lake back to its former glory,” Link said, coming to stand behind Zelda. Zelda nodded again.

“Oh! By the way,” he said, “Ruto wanted me to give you her thanks and a reminder.”

Zelda looked at Link and was surprised to see the younger man appearing to be quite embarrassed. Instantly, Zelda suspected that Link and Ruto had formed an attachment in regards to their “engagement” as children – a light spring of jealousy spewed forth in Zelda’s heart.

“And what was her reminder?” Zelda asked in Sheik’s voice.

Link hesitated and took a step forward but seemed to regret it. He took a deep breath and two steps forward, grabbed Zelda’s face and kissed her on the mouth through Sheik’s mask. Zelda was flabbergasted. Link wrinkled his noise and scrubbed his lips with the back of his gauntlet, quite embarrassed.

“Obviously, it’s not the same giving it to me as it is her giving it to you,” Zelda said, nonplussed.

“Yes, that’s one way to put it,” Link responded.

“Rest your heart,” she said. “I accept Ruto’s thanks and remember our promise.”

“What was your promise?” Link asked.

“That is for her and me to know,” Zelda replied lightly, sidestepping the question.

~~~

When Zelda walked across the Water Temple’s threshold, Ruto was already there waiting for her. For the first time since she left Ruto, she dropped Sheik’s mask and became Zelda.

“Congratulations on your new status as Sage of Water,” Zelda said. She then detected a hint of sadness and a wisdom that she had not seen before in Ruto’s eyes.

“Thank you,” Ruto said and bowed her head.

Zelda began to doubt her previous assumption that something intimate had taken place between Ruto and Link. Ruto did not have the look of someone “well-loved,” and Link had been far too cheerful and genuinely energetic to make Zelda believe the two had quarreled.

“Are you all right?” Zelda asked.

“Yes, I just…got a glimpse of…I can’t really explain it,” Ruto said. “I don’t know how to. There really aren’t mortal words for those sights.”

Zelda had no idea what she was talking about but was interested in hearing Ruto at least try to describe what she saw.

“Do you mean in terms of the creature ruling the Water Temple before you and Link cleansed it?” Zelda asked. At the mention of Link’s name, Ruto’s eyes took a strange glisten.

“Goodness, no. This particular revelation took place just before I became the Water’s Sage,” Ruto said.

Now Zelda was truly intrigued. Ruto sighed. “Did you find anything to help you with Ganondorf?” she asked.

“Nothing important, but I don’t believe I’m safe being in his councils or anywhere within his physical reach until Link’s ready to face him,” Zelda replied.

Ruto frowned. “Truly?” She said.

Zelda nodded. “He asked me strange questions today – very out of character for him.”

Ruto rolled her eyes to the sky. “As if we weren’t trying to be careful before,” she said. “We will have to be even more careful now. Who knows? Some of Ganondorf’s henchmen might be watching us even now. You are already implicated at least as a double agent if not actually Zelda.”

“I agree, but I feel as though I’ve painted myself into a corner,” Zelda said. “I don’t know what to do now. Do I continue to attend Ganondorf’s councils or do I stay away entirely?”

Ruto’s face took on a thoughtful expression but she shook her head. “I don’t know how to advise you,” she said.

Zelda sighed. “I need to stop thinking about it – it will drive me crazy if I continue. I came to take you back to El Dominio,” she said.

Ruto looked at Zelda with a wary face. “It may be unfrozen,” Zelda said. “But I’m not certain – I could be wrong. I hope that since Link was there earlier that he may have been able to do something.”

“But please, let’s go before we increase the chances of our being caught together,” Zelda said. “I want to see El Dominio and I want to see it with you.” Ruto smiled through the sadness in her eyes.

~~~

Once again, Zelda hung onto Ruto’s back, riding upstream back to Zora’s Domain, with Ruto leaping up every few seconds to allow Zelda to take a breath. When they arrived at Zora’s Domain, Zelda’s heart dropped to see the thick layer of ice still in place. Ruto and Zelda entered the Domain – Zelda watched Ruto’s mouth press into a thin line, her eyes widening with pain and anger.

“I’m so sorry, Ruto,” Zelda said. “I had hoped for better.” Ruto didn’t answer immediately, her eyes quickly filled with tears.

“I didn’t think it would be this way,” she said tremulously. “I didn’t see all the damage when you took me out…and after all we’ve done, we still have all this. Is evil going to be victorious, no matter what we do?”

Zelda felt her frustration as if it were her own. Many times, she wondered if her mission to free Hyrule from Ganondorf’s reign was worth fighting for. Certainly, she had no doubts that it was the right thing to do, but all her efforts seemed to be like throwing drops of water down into a dry canyon.

“It just feels like…” Ruto sniffed inelegantly and wiped her eyes with her hand. “It feels as though one problem goes away and another comes into its place. One war ends and another comes in behind it. One superpower nation rises and falls while another nation becomes a superpower after it. It’s just an endless cycle of entropy that will never completely end.”

“No, it will not end,” Zelda said, wrapping her arms around Ruto’s shoulders. “But that doesn’t mean we should stop trying to lighten the burden of those who must bear these problems.”

“My problems end when Zora’s Domain is unfrozen – you must fight on without me soon. Who is lightening the burden for you?” Ruto asked, turning to Zelda.

“Well,” Zelda said, hesitating. “You have done much to lighten my burden.”

“I’m glad to hear of it,” Ruto said. Zelda felt satisfaction to hear that there was no bitterness in Ruto’s voice, but she wondered at the amount of feeling with which Ruto spoke.

Zelda saw Ruto staring down into a corner of the first level of the Domain. “What’s over there?” Ruto asked. Zelda looked and there appeared to be a dark cave behind the frozen waterfall.

“Let’s go and see,” Zelda said and tenderly took Ruto’s hand. She led Ruto down to the first level and carefully stepped over the ice. They entered the small cave and found it to be a rather snug area, but easily kept warm against the open air in the giant chamber of Zora’s Domain that fostered the icy temperature.

“I need to rest here,” Ruto said, sighing and sinking down upon the floor against the wall. “This has been a long day.” Zelda heartily agreed.

Zelda saw some old, thick sticks of wood in the short cave and struck sparks from flint upon them, setting them ablaze. Ruto scooted closer to the fire and crossed her legs, giving Zelda a very clear view of her light pink genitals. Zelda was thoroughly embarrassed that she had noticed – after all, Ruto was still quite distressed and this was not the time to be thinking like that. Nonetheless, she couldn’t help but stare. It does not appear to be much different from a regular Hylian woman’s, Zelda thought. In fact, I can’t tell any difference at all. At least, from what mine appears to be.

Just as Zelda suspected might happen, Ruto caught her looking. Zelda expected a harsh verbal attack and she felt she deserved it. Instead, she opened her arms to Zelda and smiled her invitation. Zelda’s heart flipped in her ribcage at the profound implication.

She accepted Ruto’s invitation and sat down between her legs, closing Ruto’s arms around her body. She felt Ruto kiss the top of her head, bite the scarf off Zelda and tossed it aside. Zelda felt Ruto’s warm breath curling across her scalp, sending cool shivers down her back and into her groin.

“Please,” Ruto whispered in Zelda’s ear. “Please let me return the favor you gave me those few days ago.”

“Your life back – is that a favor nowadays?” Zelda asked, trying for levity.

“No,” she said. She buried her nose in Zelda’s hair, fragranced by the sun and plains of Hyrule. Ruto kissed her ear and felt Zelda shift closer to her. “I want to be warmed up by a princess,” Ruto replied.

“Ah,” Zelda said. “Well…I…I’ve secretly hoped you would do more with me than I did with you – at first, that is.”

“At first? I believe I’m the one who’s made all the advances up until now. You’ve been watching me?” Ruto asked. “Like I watched you so many years ago?”

“I’ve just watched you with the eyes of an adult,” Zelda said. “In my heart, I’ve treasured a dormant love for you, Ruto. And I’m so happy to find it alive and well.”

Ruto’s eyes filled with happy tears. “Where there is life, there is love,” she whispered.

Zelda pulled Ruto’s face down to hers and kissed Ruto with all her might. Ruto returned the kiss with as much passion and took the kiss a step further, sliding her tongue into Zelda’s mouth. Zelda welcomed the invasion and her body grew slack in Ruto’s lap.

Zelda trailed her kisses from Ruto’s mouth to her cheek and down her neck. Ruto moaned her pleasure and tightened her grip around Zelda’s body – not for the last time.

“If you take off your clothes, I shall keep you warm,” Ruto said teasingly. Zelda blushed and seemed to balk.

“Oh, now that isn’t fair – I can’t be the only one here to go with out clothing,” Ruto nudged. “You can spare a few moments without your wrappings, can’t you?”

Zelda squeezed her eyes shut in delighted embarrassment, but she stood up before Ruto and untied the strings around her shirt. She loosed the wrappings upon her breasts to keep them from hurting when she ran and her torso was free. Zelda unbound the string attached to her tight pants and stepped out of them. At last, completely unencumbered, she stood before Ruto shyly.

Ruto gazed upon her lover, admiring the way the firelight brought out the rosiness of Zelda’s skin. The light shone prominently on Zelda’s hips, inner and outer thighs. In the midst of her silent worship, Ruto realized something.

“You wear no underwear?” Ruto practically shouted in surprise. “If I had known that you do not, I would not have waited so long to take you!”

There was no one anywhere in the vicinity, but Zelda was desperate for quiet. “Shhhh…. yes, I know,” she said. “It’s less troublesome that way, there’s not as much to get in the way if I need to fight.”

Ruto laughed and opened her arms to Zelda. “Now, let me hold you,” she said.

Zelda smiled. “So demanding, my Ruto is,” she said.

“But you know you like it,” Ruto replied with a sly smile.

Zelda slid back into Ruto’s lap and she reveled in the shared warmth between their bodies. She loved the feeling of Ruto’s stomach against her side and the feel of Ruto’s arms around her shoulders. Best of all, she loved Ruto’s eyes looking into her own. It gave her the strength to press into the natural conclusion she knew approached. Ruto kissed her lips lightly as Zelda regarded her and combed her fingers through her hair.

“I love it – don’t ever cut it,” Ruto said, kissing the tips of Zelda’s hair.

“If you don’t want it cut, it shall not be cut,” Zelda replied.

Ruto grinned and hoisted Zelda up onto her knees. Zelda didn’t have much time to wonder what Ruto was up to – she felt the sensation of Ruto’s gentle tongue upon her breast, not just kisses this time. Zelda leaned her head back and sighed deeply – it was rapidly becoming too much.

“I’ve never done this before,” Zelda said in a low voice.

“Neither have I,” Ruto replied. “I’m making this up as I go along, but you don’t see me stopping, do you?”

Ruto gave one good suck upon the bottom part of Zelda’s breast before she dragged her tongue to Zelda’s areola and traced a slow, spiraling pattern around the edge and into the center towards Zelda’s nipple. Ruto’s tongue touched upon its main target and pushed upwards on the nipple. Zelda arched her back in response, amazed at the amount of sensation concentrated in one tiny area of her body.

While Ruto continued to suck upon the one breast, she reached up to the other with her free hand and began to squeeze it rhythmically. The two sensations combined were already bringing Zelda to a state of arousal she had not yet dreamed of encountering. She felt her vulva begin to heat and moisten in response to Ruto’s stimulation.

I wonder what Link would think if he saw us like this. Does he have any idea what his “fiancée” is doing with me? Zelda couldn’t help but feel a small amount of glee: she had the princess Ruto – Link did not.

The aching in her vagina increased – hotter and hotter, like a growing fire in her groin. She longed to rub the tension out with her fingers, but dared not take her hands off Ruto’s shoulders for fear of truly losing control long before she wanted to.

At last, Ruto finished working her mouth upon Zelda’s right breast and switched over to the left one, beginning that arousing spiral upon Zelda’s areola. Ruto also began working on the right breast with her other hand. Ruto rolled Zelda’s nipple very, very gently upon her teeth with her tongue. “Stop! I can’t take any more!” Zelda cried out, breathing hard and deeply.

Ruto appeared amused. “Do you really think that we can stop now?” She said playfully. “We’ve started this wagon rolling – why would we stop?”

“I didn’t mean stop completely,” Zelda said, trying to catch her breath. “I meant, let me try doing it on you.”

Ruto grinned widely. “I apologize, my dear Princess,” she said grandly. “I shall not dare oppose your will again!”

“And I’ll hold you to that,” Zelda replied as she laid Ruto flat on the ground and straddled Ruto’s sides between her legs. Zelda’s vulva was already quite wet and she was secretly delighted that it left its shiny mark on Ruto’s leg as she slid upwards to have her first encounter with Ruto’s breasts.

At first, Zelda thought only to imitate Ruto’s loving actions with her own breasts. But Zelda decided to take it a step further. Instead of starting the tongue spiral on the edge of Ruto’s areola, Zelda started at the bottom of her breast and made a much longer circle around before she began to work her way to the center. However, before she began the circles, she licked the thumb of her left hand and began to gently rocked Ruto’s left nipple back and forth, taking care not to bend it too far. Between the circles upon Ruto’s right breast and the manipulation of her left nipple, Ruto moaned with vigor.

To Zelda’s delight, she felt Ruto’s hand slip between their bodies and down to her vulva. When Ruto first touched Zelda’s front, her body started and quivered in anticipation. The teasing foreplay had done much to prepare her and she found herself quite responsive to Ruto’s simple touch.

Zelda broke her concentration on Ruto’s breasts and could only breathe through her mouth, stunned at the sensations she could not begin to describe. The wild flicker of the firelight seemed to imitate Zelda’s rhythmic breaths.

Suddenly, Ruto’s odd tone of voice and distant appearance when Zelda first greeted her that day came back to her mind. Despite their advanced stage of lovemaking, Zelda’s curiosity consumed her and she asked, “Do you think you could explain what you saw in the Chamber of Sages at the moment you were made the Water’s Sage?”

Ruto paused, apparently at a loss for words and mildly annoyed at the interruption to their love-making.

“Can we not save it for later, dear?” She asked.

“We could,” Zelda said. “But I am dreadfully curious. It’s been nagging at my mind all day.”

Ruto sighed and brought Zelda closer to her.

“I saw…the creation of our country,” Ruto said. “I saw the fiery destruction at the end of the ages and I saw everything in between. I cannot really describe it past that.”

“You watched the day the Goddesses forged the lands, created the people, created the plants and animals?” Zelda asked.

“That seems to be a part of the big picture,” Ruto said. “Rather I saw the minute creations of all living things, the lifetimes of every single person who was ever to walk the earth. It was too much to take in all at once. Everything that ever was or ever will exist came into being in that one moment, that one spoken word, that one breath.”

Zelda couldn’t begin to visualize what Ruto saw. “I wish I could have been there to see,” she said.

Ruto turned to her with sadness in her eyes. “What’s wrong?” Zelda asked.

Ruto hesitated. “In that mad whirl of creation, I saw you,” Ruto said. “I saw you in the history of Hyrule.”

Zelda bated her breath.

“Suffice it to say,” Ruto said, “that you will also be able to experience what I experienced…but at a later time.”

Zelda’s mind spun at the implication behind Ruto’s words. “You can’t…possibly mean…” she stammered.

Ruto opened and closed her mouth and closed her eyes. “My Princess,” she said, “my Queen…my Sage of Sealing.”

Zelda’s eyes spilled over with tears.

“You have had a longer journey than mine, Zelda,” Ruto said quietly. “And it is not finished yet – without a doubt, you have one last task before Ganondorf is gone, but I have every confidence that you will do it.”

“Do you see,” Ruto said, lifting Zelda’s chin to meet her eyes, “you see will be needed just as much as Link is needed – just as much as the rest of us will be needed? A single person cannot win a war or battle.”

Zelda could not say anything.

Ruto continued. “You have never,” she whispered, “and will never walk alone.”

Zelda smiled her gratefulness. There is nothing to replace love and the support that goes with it, she thought.

They began their ministrations to one another again and Zelda finally summoned enough courage to touch Ruto’s own vulva, wondering if it would feel the same as hers did. With the tips of her fingers spreading a bit of Ruto’s slickness, Zelda decided that Ruto’s nether lips were a little tougher than hers, simply because Ruto was exposed to the elements more frequently than Zelda herself was. And yet, Ruto was still quite soft to the touch.

The firelight illuminated the shining moisture running down between the rosy clefts of Ruto’s vulva, casting an orange glow upon her pink skin framed by blue. The more Zelda gazed at Ruto’s genitals, the more she marveled at their perfection.

Zelda had the sudden urge to try something new and a little daunting. She stopped her kisses on Ruto’s lips, moved down past her belly and brought her mouth close to Ruto’s vulva. She looked to Ruto for assurance and only saw her stunned face.

“Hold still,” Zelda said tremulously and ran the tip of her tongue on the outside of Ruto’s nether lips. Ruto groaned and shuddered, assuring her Queen that she was doing the right thing.

Part of Zelda imagined Ruto would taste “fishy,” but this was not the case. To be sure, Ruto had her own light musk, but it was tolerable if not pleasant. This consideration gave Zelda the courage to press ahead – she quickly slid her tongue into the inside of Ruto’s nether lips, taking care to be very gentle. Ruto begged for more with wordless sighs, carrying Zelda’s face with one hand to the top of her sex, the center of her sensuality.

Zelda did as she was told, trying to be even more gentle because as soon as she touched her lips to Ruto’s clitoris, the other woman practically screamed. Obviously, this was more of a sensitive spot than Zelda had first wagered – she would need to tread carefully or else she could hurt Ruto.

Curious as to what Ruto’s vagina would feel like, she touched her entrance with the tip of her finger and entered slowly, all the while barely managing to keep her sucking rhythm constant upon Ruto. Ruto arched her back.

“Enough!” Ruto cried. “Allow me to reach my peak at the time that you will.”

Overcome with epicurean heat, Zelda simply nodded and lifted herself off the ground. Ruto helped her into a kneeling position with her legs widely spread and Ruto imitated her position. Zelda suspected what she would do – at the same moment, each brought their hands to their lover’s cores and began an equal rhythm to which they rocked against each other. Covering one another’s faces with kisses, they became helpless with their arousal and passion.

“Try it faster?” Zelda asked and both she and Ruto sped up their timing. The reward was fantastic – Zelda felt as though she could have exploded.

“Just a little faster,” came Ruto’s hoarse voice and Zelda put all her strength into making the motion of her hands quicker. Rubbing down the front of the vulva and into the vagina, all the while keeping the clitoris of their lover in constant action – their climax was by no means simultaneous, but they came close enough together that Zelda felt that it was only further confirmation of their love.

Zelda and Ruto clung to each other, shivering in post-coital delight and continuing to keep one another warm.

~~~

“So…” Zelda said while they lay in one another’s arms. “Link seemed to think fondly of you.”

Ruto did not look at Zelda immediately. “Did he now?” She said ambiguously.

“Apparently, he believes your engagement to be serious, regardless of your belief that it is not,” Zelda replied.

“And how does that make you feel?” Ruto said with a small smile.

“He’s a good friend of mine, but…you may not have him!” Zelda said, trying to keep a tone of playfulness in her voice. She lightly punched Ruto’s arm to punctuate her point.

“But you said yourself that he seemed to think our engagement serious,” Ruto replied. “I am not one to taint my honor with broken promises – I most assuredly won’t renege on such a powerful commitment.”

“I say he is mine and has been from the moment I laid eyes upon him as a child!” Zelda raised her voice.

“You simply laid eyes upon him – I gave him an engagement ring, the Zora’s Sapphire!” Ruto replied gleefully. “He’s mine.”

“No, he’s mine,” Zelda shot back with more playfulness.

“I think he’s mine,” Ruto said, matching Zelda’s tone and leaning her forehead against Zelda’s so their eyes could meet.

“He’s mine!” Zelda exclaimed.

“He’s mine!” Ruto shouted back.

Both women dissolved into fits of laughter, Zelda fully relaxing and stretching out onto Ruto’s belly, but she quickly arched backwards when Ruto resumed her gentle stroking. Zelda openly pushed herself against Ruto’s fingers and kissed Ruto’s mouth repeatedly, demanding as much attention from both her mouth and her fingers as possible.

“But think of this, Zelda,” Ruto said when their lips parted. “We were one another’s before either one of us knew Link existed.”

“It’s the truth and I delight in it,” Zelda replied and kissed Ruto with as much ardor as she could summon.

In their drowsy state, neither one of them saw at that moment a tiny trickle of water snaking its way down the waterfall’s frozen arch. El Dominio began to thaw from the top down.

~~~

Zelda forced herself to leave Ruto and El Dominio soon after their love was sated. It was the last thing she wanted but her consolation was that it would keep Ruto and their secret safe.

When Zelda left in the disguise of Sheik, she would have done well to look high above the entrance to Zora’s Domain. If she had, she might have seen two witches on floating brooms silently watching her.

Zelda’s true trials had just begun.


Back to The Hidden Waters of the Heart Index - Back to Legend of Zelda Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction