Astraea Lake (part 4 of 76)

a Strawberry Panic fanfiction by Lestaki

Back to Part 3 Untitled Document

I had a dream… it was warm and nice but kinda weird… I don’t want to wake up; really, I just want to stay asleep. Dreams are always much nicer than reality, so soft and comforting. Well, apart from nightmares. They used to come up. Less so now, actually. I’m here, not there. There always had a bad aura, if I can say something that stupid. But, well, the bed was more comfortable than here. And I had a room of my own. It still wasn’t too nice, though… even if I did have a good dream, a servant would drag me out of bed all too early. Of course, this isn’t any different, this school. Still have to get up. But later. That’s nice. And, it’s hard to place exactly, especially when I’m in a room with her of all people, but it just seems safer here. Safer than home. That’s pretty depressing. Forget it. Just let me lie here for a little while longer. That’s all I want. That’s all I need.

“Are you going to lay there forever or what?”

Momomi mumbled something discontented and sat, shaking out her hair and yawning hugely. “I want to…”

“Honestly,” Kaname said. “I’m already dressed. Me getting up first is some kind of crime against history. You shouldn’t have stayed up so late.”

“I wanted to finish my book,” Momomi said.

“I’ve never understood how you got so into reading,” Kaname said. “I mean, I read, but it doesn’t deserve the effort you put into it.”

“I just read the right books.”

“Trashy romances?”

“That book was not a trashy romance,” Momomi said sulkily. “I don’t read that kind.”

“Looks like one to me,” Kaname said.

“Well, read it, then, and tell me that afterwards!”

“Alright,” Kaname said, shrugging. “I’ll probably take longer than you to read it, though.”

“Humph. It’ll be good for you.” Momomi said. She brushed a thick lock of tangled hair out of her eyes. “What are you looking at, anyway? Very pensive.”

“I’m looking at this,” Kaname said, holding up a letter. “It’s for you. A dispatch from High Command, Italy.”

“What? Give me that!” Momomi leapt off the bed and lunged across the room, ripping it from her hands. “Don’t you dare touch my mail! Especially anything from my parent’s place!” She retreated to her bed and sat, staring fiercely down at the letter.

Kaname shrugged. “Well, I didn’t read it or even open it. Just guessed at the contents. My money’s on some kind of arranged marriage, that seems like the next step on your much resented road of destiny.”

Momomi ripped it open and picked it up, reading fiercely.

“But from what I can see on the front, your family, or at least someone working of them, has excellent Japanese,” Kaname said. “Just like you. Your accent’s better than mine, it’s pretty shameful.” There was no reply, so she just shrugged. “Fine, then. I guess your family’s so much more important than-”

There was a tearing sound. Kaname turned and blinked, watching as Momomi ripped the letter to pieces with a controlled, baleful thoroughness. Then she collected up the scraps of paper and dropped them in the bin, before turning her back on it and throwing herself moodily onto her bed. “Shut up.”

“Bad news, I take it,” Kaname said lightly.

“Stupid, stupid news,” Momomi said. “God, it pisses me off!” She hugged her pillow, looking angry.

“That’s my phrase,” Kaname said. “I’ve been a bad influence.”

“Shut up.”

Kaname sighed and sat on her bed, looking up at the ceiling. “Reminds me how lucky I am, that my mother hasn’t written. She’d only preach, but I’m used to that.”

“I didn’t receive any letter,” Momomi said moodily. “Understood?”

“It’s not my business. I’ll humour you.”

“And if you try and pick it out of the bin, I’ll never forgive you,” Momomi said. “Even after you’re dead.”

“Hey, don’t think I’d root through the trash just to read some letter from your family,” Kaname said. “I’m not that interested in why you’re being huffy.”

“Good.”

“You’d better get dressed,” Kaname said eventually. “It’s, what, ten minutes before the last five minutes of breakfast?”

Momomi scowled and stood, reaching for her clothes. “Fine. I shouldn’t give them the satisfaction of me sulking whether they can see it or not.”

“That’s a healthy attitude,” Kaname said. “I’d thought you were ill for a moment.”

“Sorry to disappoint you.” Momomi looked down, still looking livid.

Kaname frowned. “You want, I can go on ahead. I’m not too eager to be round someone that pissy.”

“You do that.”

“If that’s what you want.” Kaname opened the door, then hesitated for a moment. “Oh, and Momomi?”

“What?”

“If you want it, too, I can help you, my style,” she said. “I’ve found few problems that can’t be solved, short term, with excessive violence. And as it’d be me doing it, you wouldn’t even be blamed.”

“What’s this? Concern from Kaname?” Momomi said arrogantly.

Kaname glanced at her, looking dark. “I’m not through with you yet, that’s all. And if your family pisses you off better than I annoy you, that makes me angry on multiple levels.”

“Well, I don’t want you to fight,” Momomi said. “I’m not going to be a hypocrite about that. Besides, this is my business. The best help you can be is to stay the hell out of my way!”

“Well, you don’t control me,” Kaname said. “On any level. Remember that.” She turned and left without another word.

Momomi shrugged on her jacket, tugging on it to pull out a crease, and buttoned it up, before reaching for her necktie. She took a breath, closing her eyes for a moment, then opened them and carried on. This has left me… ragged. I don’t feel good. My damn blasted useless horrible family. And Kaname, too. She’s left me feeling raw and vulnerable, and scared and emotional as well. She reaches out a hand, she yanks it away, whatever she does I’m mesmerised by it, and I blame myself for it. That’s pretty scary. She’s really, genuinely getting through to me. Since when she get so good? Since when was I so weak? I thought I’d put all that behind me. I should have been more careful. It might be immaterial now. I’m running risks, just being round her. It feels like that. I can’t stand having my life move beyond my control any more, and she does that. At least our hatred was regular, almost soothing, and more or less an act. Perhaps we’ve got smarter. But it’s all a lot more real now. Real means no script. Real leaves me far too helpless. At the same time, I want to stay at this school. I only have one friend, she’s more of an enemy, and there’s really nothing here for me. I say its about my freedom, but sometimes I wonder… is this kind of freedom worth it? The sisters’ rules, the bullying, everything else here, it’s hardly freedom. At the same time, this room, this place, those words, perhaps they matter now. Perhaps I’m a fool. She scowled. That doesn’t matter now. It’s all irrelevant, and if I fail it’ll all be gone. I want to stay. They want me to go. That’s all that matters. This is the real freedom, I’m fighting for it now- freedom while they ignore me is nothing. I’m only free if I win this battle. And whatever Kaname says, I’ll have to fight it alone. She pulled her firmly into place, scowled against her reflection, and turned to run towards the canteen.

All the same, though. It wasn’t wise to antagonise Kaname. She’s tougher than that, but I don’t need to deal with a resurgence of her confrontational behaviour on top of this crisis. Momomi sighed, biting her lip as she queued for breakfast. I miss the servants at home. They were the best part of home. Besides, I’m behaving as Kaname expects me to behave. I should copy her tactics, and be more unpredictable. If I sound a little sorry, that’ll unsettle her. She ordered without really thinking about it, grabbing the meal as soon as she could and looking round, sighing. Why does thatin turn sound like an excuse?

Kaname looked up as she approached. “Oh? I thought you were doing this alone?”

“I’m not going to let you get away for duration,” Momomi said, darkly, sitting down. “No way. Besides… that wasn’t what I meant to say. And I wasn’t very fair to you. I should ask nicely, regardless of what you’d make of that, because being nasty is only playing into your hands.”

“Humph,” Kaname said. “I don’t know what’s going on, because you won’t let me know. But I won’t make any promises until I know exactly what’s going on. Even then, only maybe.”

“Well, I can’t tell you anything,” Momomi said.

“Then I can’t make any promises.”

“Fine. But still… this is my business. I have to do it alone. I can’t stop you interfering, but it’s far from welcome.”

“I don’t care about welcome,” Kaname said. “Saying this is your own battle sounds really cool. But I’ve been doing that all my life, and it’s not a great way to live. Because that’s all about pride…” she closed her eyes, “but if someone’s offering you help- whether it’s from stupid altruism or their own selfish agenda or just some reason you can’t see- there’s no reason not to take it.”

“I understand that,” Momomi said. “But this is about who I am. No one but me can do anything about that.”

“Humph. That’s arrogant,” Kaname said. “Neither of us are utterly untouchable. You taught me that.”

Momomi frowned. Her, too? Am I reading too much into that?

“Momomi Kiyashiki.”

Momomi looked up, grimacing. “Yes, Sister?”

“Please come to the Superior’s Office. As soon as you have finished.”

“Yes, Sister.” She sighed audibly. Here we go.

Kaname watched hawkishly as the Sister walked off. “So this is far more than just a letter from your parents.”

“That’s still not your business,” Momomi said.

“Are they withdrawing you from this school?” Kaname asked.

“Why do you ask that, all of a sudden?” Momomi said.

“Because I’m no fool. It’s one of a very small number of possibilities that make any sense at all.”

“Well, it’s not your business,” Momomi said.

“I’ll be the judge of that.”

“Ha.” Momomi pushed her breakfast away and stood.

“You should eat more,” Kaname said. “You should, in fact, look after yourself more.”

“I guess you’d know,” Momomi said. “There’s no time for that in a battle.”

“This isn’t that kind of battle,” Kaname said.

“I’ll be the judge of that,” Momomi mimicked. “Because, whatever you say, it isn’t your battle. I’ll be back, though.”

Kaname just scowled and stared at her. “I’ll hold you to that.”

Momomi walked away, frowning. Don’t stay stuff like that. It messes with my head. Damn. I can’t get distracted. Not now. So why is the common, coarse ice princess saying things like that now? That’s so nonsensical, it suits her, but it still annoys me. Almost as much as that guarantee. Just who am I talking to, anyway? She walked through the corridors of the Strawberry Dorms without really seeing anything or anyone. No one worth seeing. Then she walked round a corridor, and almost collided with Amane. They passed each other without a word, without even looking up. Momomi felt her now ingrained frown deepen. A worst enemy who barely knows I exist. Sometimes I can make sense of Kaname’s hatred. She carried on walking, mind still churning. The route you took to the Superior’s office was completely instinctive to her now. She was there several times herself, though a lot less than she could have been. Kaname, on the other hand, seems to live there, and I have to pick that girl up, drag her out, or lie through my teeth in her defence all the damn time. It’s very troublesome of Kaname to act like that.But half the time, she’s in trouble in my defence. I’ve never been sure why either of us do that. I guess it’s as Shion says. We may fight all the time, but everyone else is still everyone else, where we’re us. She stepped up to the dark wood of the door, and knocked twice.

“Come in.”

Momomi opened the door and stepped in, nodding slightly. “Superior.”

“Momomi Phareli,” a voice said softly. “We haven’t met much.”

Momomi’s head shot up. She looked round, and saw a beautiful girl dressed in Miator’s black, sitting on a chair at the side of the room. Graceful, silver-blonde hair spilled over her shoulders, and her eyes were a brilliant blue. A red pendant lay across her breast. “Etoile-sama,” Momomi said, recovering her poise. “I’m sorry, I didn’t see you. Oh, and I prefer Kiyashiki, here. ”

“As you please. In your turn, call me Serané, please,” the girl said quietly. “It’s good to see you. I’ve heard a lot about you from Kariya-san.”

“Is that so?” Momomi said. “That’s good. I think. But… it’s a pleasure to meet you, I’m sure. I’ve only seen you at a distance, before.” So this is the other Etoile. She’s nothing like Kariya-sama. I guess opposites really do attract.

“My Aunt Francoise asks to be remembered to your father,” Serané said. “They have met a few times.”

“Lady Francoise Diralna? Then you are…”

“Serané Diralna, daughter of the Earl Diralna,” Serané said. “I apologise for my parents’ behaviour in not visiting your family after the marriage. They have been inexcusable.”

“That’s nothing I worry about,” Momomi said. “And it’s not your fault.” She looked desperately at the Superior, in the vague hope of release. She hated talking aristocracy.

“Serané, you can catch up with Kiyashiki-san at a later time, can you not?” the Superior said pointedly.

“Of course,” Serané said. “I apologise. It can get very lonely here, though everyone is so kind… even an individual from a country a distant as Italy becomes close to home, relative to that.”

“You miss being home?” Momomi asked.

“Of course,” Serané said. “Though I am very glad I came here. It has been good for me, and I have made many friends. And I have met Kariya-sama. But I’m not here to talk about myself. Again, I apologise.”

“You don’t have to apologise,” Momomi mumbled. There’s something disgustingly perfect about this girl. A dyed in the wool aristocratic heir, who doesn’t know how lucky she is. Then again, that’s so perfect on her I do wonder what she’s hiding…

“In any case, you probably know why you are here,” the Superior said, steepling her fingers. “Your parents have sent us a letter, telling us informally that they intend to remove you from this school within the week. Once the paperwork and details have been finalised, and transport arranged, you will be taken back to Italy, and your home. It is our duty to make that transition as easy as possible. That is the final courtesy that we can extend to your family after this brief term of service.”

“Don’t make it sound so commercial, Superior,” Serané said. “It’s very crass.”

“This is a private school,” Momomi said. “In any case, there’s been a mistake. I won’t be leaving.”

“You won’t?” the Superior said. “But I have the letter here…”

“That was written before I was through with them,” Momomi said. “They didn’t even bother to consult me. Give me five minutes on the phone, and you’ll be receiving an extortionate amount of money from my family for years to come. And you can get back to being rude to me too. This politeness thing is creeping me out.”

Serané giggled, the most expressive thing Momomi had heard her utter. “You do sound very determined,” the Etoile said, recovering her composure. “But are you sure about that? I can understand possessing affection for this school, but in your case- I’d have thought you wouldn’t mind coming home to your family.”

“That’s not our business,” the Superior said. “It’s a matter for Kiyashiki-san and her family, and them alone.”

“No,” Serané said. “It’s my business, as Etoile. I am here to ask such questions. She can answer or not as she pleases. But you can’t stop me from asking.”

Momomi blinked. So she has some steel buried in her after all. The way she answered that question, reminds me of Kaname. And to talk back to the very Superior like that- being the Etoile must be incredible.

The Superior sighed. “Do you have an answer, Kiyashiki-san?”

“My mind is made up,” Momomi said. “My reasons are my own. That’s all.”

Serané smiled. “I’m glad. It seems you’ve really come to love Astraea Hill.”

That’s a quarter truth at best. “In any case, can I call my parents? They’ll accept charges, I’m sure.”

Serané nodded gracefully. “I should think so, too. And send my regards. I’ll wait outside.”

“Thank you.” Momomi glanced between her and the Superior, and wondered who exactly was in charge. Really, really incredible…

She waited until they had stepped outside, then paused for a moment, taking a deep breath and collecting herself. She marshalled the arguments she’d use in the upcoming clash. Well… no point in hanging around. She picked up the phone and keyed in the number, placing the receiver to her ear with a shaking hand. She felt her stomach knot as the ringing went on. Calm.

Hello?”

Italian. She hadn’t heard that language in some eight months. She didn’t miss it, either. “Hello. This is Momomi. Get me my father, now. Whatever he’s doing”

Yes, ma’am. I believe the master is free… please bear with me.”

Hurry up.” She leaned back, trying to clear her mind. It was depressing, how profoundly the mere thought of him could mess with her head. Whatever Kaname could achieve, at least that was in an almost good way. This was nothing like that. She drummed her fingers on the desk.

Momomi. This had better be good.”

“I’m asking you to reconsider your decision to take me out of here,” Momomi said, slipping back into Japanese to annoy him. Childish, and unwise, but it was hard to resist. Besides, her voice just didn’t sound right in Italian any more. “It would be extremely disruptive to my education, which has already been damaged. Astraea Hill has an excellent reputation and is cheaper than my private tutors. I also suspect that my sister would prefer to remain the only heir in the house-”

Were you under a misapprehension that I am giving you a choice?”

That bluntness. She hated it. “I’m asking you to reconsider-”

That won’t happen. You’ve been out there for too long. I don’t want to speculate what they’ve done to your personality. I should never have listened to your mother.”

Something snapped. “Technically, if you mean listened truly, you wouldn’t have sent me away at all,” Momomi said.

Laughter. But not a friendly kind of laughter. “No, this hasn’t blunted your impudence at all. Taking you back’s too good for you… but the decision is made. That is final.”

“No one asked me!” Momomi said. “I don’t want to go back to you! You don’t want me back either, so just let me do that!”

You seem to be forgetting some very important things,” he said quietly.

“Like what?”

Firstly, I’m your father. I have ordered you to come back, and that’s final.”

“Yes, general,” Momomi said through her teeth.

Secondly, you’d do well to remember just who is paying for your presence at that school.”

“I understand that,” Momomi said. “Still, I’m just suggesting that-”

Thirdly. Don’t use that filthy language to address me.”

Momomi snapped. “Shut up! Let me finish!”

The details will be finalised within two days. You will be home within a week. Otherwise, I’ll send men to drag you home.” He hung up before she could reply.

“You bastard…” She stared at the receiver in furious frustration. Perhaps the heat of my gaze can run down the phone and cremate the arrogant prat. “Always have to have the bloody last word, don’t you?” If she’d talked to her mother, she’d have agreed. But mother was so powerless. That really annoyed her. Mother was weak, pathetic, and useless. It was almost an embarrassment to talk to her. Especially when she cried. So forget it. She slammed the phone down, and wondered what came next. Time to get out of this office, for now. If Serané said something innocent and graceful as if everyone had a family they loved, Momomi didn’t think she could take it. She stood, shaking slightly, then opened the door and stepped through.

“How did it go?” Serané asked.

“They’re thinking about it,” Momomi said tonelessly. “They’ll let you know in a few days.”

“I see. It must be hard for them, though, to have their daughter so far away…”

Momomi clenched her fists.

“But they also sound a little difficult,” Serané said. “I wouldn’t know, really. Perhaps they’re glad. I know I’m glad you’re here, and want to be here.”

Momomi made a cynical noise.

“And I don’t seem to be the only one. You have a good friend.”

Momomi looked up and saw Kaname, leaning against the opposite wall and looking down at the floor. “What? How long have you been there?”

“More or less duration,” Kaname said. “I owe your parents a punch. I don’t do your ladylike slap thing.”

“And I must once again restate that this is no excuse to skip lessons,” the Superior said angrily. “Especially not to eavesdrop on people.”

“To show a genuine concern for one’s friends,” Serané said. “I admire that. I would be worried if Kenjou-san didn’t do this. It’s good they’re friends.”

“Stop that,” Momomi said.

“You were both so isolated before,” Serané said. “In any case, though, I’d better take my leave for now. Remember, if you need any help, come to me and Kariya. That’s what we do.”

“Too well,” the Superior said. “So well, you’re both excused from this period. Before the Etoile suggests it. Come back to me when you have more information.”

“Thank you,” Momomi managed, despite herself. “Etoile-sama, Superior. Kaname, let’s go.”

“No orders,” Kaname said. “But I’m going.”

Momomi lead, walking through the corridors. She didn’t know exactly where she was going, but she wasn’t in any mood to stand still. She felt weird. “So,” she said eventually. “Explain yourself.”

“I don’t think that’s necessary,” Kaname said. “You didn’t made it sound necessary, earlier, though you’re very fickle.”

“Then I ask out of interest,” Momomi said, frowning. Still messing with my head. “Missing lessons isn’t responsible. It’s one of the few things you don’t do often, either.”

“Academic study is a necessity of my position here.”

“That’s hardly what I meant,” Momomi said, sounding irritated.

“You didn’t want me to get involved with this, so I was determined to,” Kaname said.

Momomi glanced sharply back at her, but there was a certain something there. She changed tack. “Hmm? Is that all? I’d say it’s very unlike you to want to be involved with anything that doesn’t immediately concern you.”

“Don’t get any funny ideas.”

“And you, too. If you say something cliché like I’ll protect you or whatever…”

“ I’m not making any promises,” Kaname said. “To do that, or not. But you’re so weak you’ll need it whether I do or don’t.”

“Unlike you, I don’t resolve all my problems with brute strength,” Momomi said.

“That’s not always enough,” Kaname said. “Maybe you’ve never encountered such a moment, but being smart isn't always enough. And I’m bloody smart. I’m here because of that.”

“Well, it’s hard to tell,” Momomi muttered.

“I know. You too, actually. But I’ll tell you another cool-sounding cliché. This is my problem. I’ll take care of it myself. That kind of stupidity irritates me. That’s why I was there, whether you wanted me there or not.”

“Well, I’ll live with you being there,” Momomi said reluctantly. “You’re not giving me any choice. And… well, if you’re here, and you have heard everything… I’ll make the best of it.”

“You’re very fickle today,” Kaname said.

“You’re giving me no choice,” Momomi said. “And if you’ll forgive me, I’m not currently at the top of my game, okay? I’ve no time for our games.”

“If you say so,” Kaname said. “You’d fool me, though.”

“Humph. In any case…” Momomi frowned. “I don’t know quite why I’m so mad about staying here. Probably just to rebel. But I’ve made that decision. And you’ve also made sense, too much sense. I’m not going to allow you to not help me.”

“Yes, my sublime lady,” Kaname said sarcastically.

“Besides, you’re the least worst person here to have covering my back,” Momomi said.

“Ha,” Kaname said. “One penniless social reject. Are you sure that your friend the great Etoile-sama wouldn’t be more help?”

“She’s irritating,” Momomi said. “She might be a help. But she’s too good. Too nice. I don’t have the luxury of fighting fair.”

“Where are we going, anyway?” Kaname asked abruptly.

“I…” Momomi sighed, then shrugged. “If you weren’t arguing with me all the damn time, I’m notice where I was going more.”

“You’re a hopeless leader,” Kaname said. “This is hardly the first time.”

“Well, you don’t have to follow me,” Momomi said.

“You won’t let me not help you, in theory,” Kaname said.

“Humph.”

“In practise, I choose to follow you. I don’t know why, but I do.”

“That’s very confusing of you,” Momomi said. “In any case… let’s go to the lake. I need some fresh air.”

“Well, it’s not like I have any better ideas.”

Momomi pouted as she finally set a coherent course. I feel seriously displaced right now. A crisis the size of my current one will do that to you. But I don’t know, immediately, what to think or do. And Kaname’s right, I’ll say three different things in as many moments and feel emotions to match. It’s annoying. Glad she’s here, cross she’s here, resigned that she’s here… is that her or me? We’re both pretty fickle, mostly just to annoy each other. And when I say it like that, it sounds kinda pointless.

“You still there?” Kaname asked sarcastically.

“Let me think,” Momomi said. “This is a time for that.”

“Think out loud, then. What did your father say? I caught the gist without detail.”

“I’m amazed,” Momomi said. “He has a carrying voice. Just say he’s a stubborn pig, and he’ll drag me back now simply because I don’t want to go home, and he can tell that.”

“Sounds insecure,” Kaname said. “Pathetic, really, if you don’t mind me saying so. Bullying a useless little girl like you.”

“I think you know everything there is to know about insecurity, so I’ll trust you on that,” Momomi said. “But the big problem is that he controls the money. No fees, no school. That, and I don’t think it’s school policy to favour the will of students over those of parents.”

“This does sound like a time for your methods, not mine,” Kaname said.

“Well, quite.”

“So, the first thing is finances. That’s easy. You’ll just have to pass the scholarship tests.”

“But aren’t they supposed to be stupidly hard?” Momomi asked. She couldn’t believe that solution hadn’t immediately occurred to her.

“I did them,” Kaname said sardonically. “I can train you up.”

“Ha. I’m sure I won’t have any problems with anything you can do,” Momomi said.

“I have to take renewal tests, so I start study at Christmas,” Kaname said. “It’s old news to me, but for you, it’ll be far more interesting. I won’t go easy on you.”

“Whatever,” Momomi said. “That still leaves a gap between the end of this term and the end of the year, and I doubt I can take them early.”

“Well, yes,” Kaname admitted. “That’s an area I still need to work out.”

“Plus I need to get round the simple fact that my parents want me home, when I’m here, and the school’s bound to listen to them,” Momomi said. “But don’t answer that. This school gives a stupid amount of influence to the Etoiles and the Student Councils. If we can get some of them, somehow, to take an interest, then that might be enough. Maybe.”

“Just constructively, I’d point out that Kariya has been a casual antagonist of me in particular since forever,” Kaname said. “Something to do with me being a troublemaker. And Serané has an obsession with family. Oh, and we’re… not to put too fine a point on it… generally as popular as a big game hunter at a conservationist’s convention.”

“You use random similies,” Momomi said. “Believe me, straight talking suits you better. But in any case, I know all that. I’ll work on it. I’ll think of something.”

They stepped out into the sunlight. “Whatever,” Kaname said. “We’d both better think.”

“That’s our first priority, though,” Momomi said. “If we don’t gain some kind of foothold immediately, I’ll just be taken away without comment. There’s always the chance of a direct confrontation, too.”

“That’s my area,” Kaname said.

“Only as a last resort,” Momomi said. “If you, known to be as close as anyone gets to me, assaults the people my parents send, that’d pretty much end our chances. And I need money to cover a term, and then to somehow pass the scholarship tests at the end of the year. This is going to be… interesting.”

“A challenge,” Kaname said. “I’ll enjoy screwing over your rich, bratty parents.”

“So will I, actually.”

“But one thing, to justify all those we’s,” Kaname said. “You have an advantage over me.”

“How so?” Momomi asked warily.

“I told you pretty much everything there is to know about me, that one time,” Kaname said. “I want you to return the favour now.”

Momomi blushed and shrugged. “My story’s not as exiting as yours. But if you like, I’ll tell you.”

“Now?”

“Now, as soon as we get to the lake,” Momomi said.

Onwards to Part 5


Back to Astraea Lake Index - Back to Strawberry Panic Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction