The Dance

a Slayers fanfiction by Hawk Shadowharper

Notes

navy = flashback


"So what kind of food do you think they'll have," Gourry asked as he and the others walked.

"Dunno, but I'm sure it'll be good, this is supposed to be a big party," Lina replied, glancing back at Gourry and the others walking behind them. Zelgadis was walking after them silently, and Seraya was beside him. The small group had met the shy blond a couple weeks before, and she started traveling with them. I've hardly heard two words out of her, I wonder what makes her so quiet, Lina thought as she continued to lead them to Zoana.

"Big party, all invited," the flyer had said. Figuring such a large party would also have an ample supply of food, Lina convinced the travelers to go there. When they did arrive, about an hour before the party, they learned it was a formal party and they'd have to be dressed up in order to attend.

"Aww, man, I don't wanna dress up," Lina complained as she and the other three stood around outside the large palace in Zoana. Zelgadis snorted quietly.

"I don't do 'formal'."

"I bet there's a place to rent tuxedoes around here someplace," Gourry said cheerfully as he looked around. Seraya nodded slightly, staying quiet.

Lina hmphed then sighed. "Alright, if there's a place to rent tuxes, I'll bet there's a place to rent dresses too." She took a hold of one of Gourry's arms and one of Seraya's. "Come on, let's go look. You can either come along or stay, Zel."

"I'll just meet you back here." Lina rolled her eyes and kept heading deeper into town, both blonds stumbling after her.


Zelgadis watched the three head off then sighed, grumbling to himself how this was just a delay. "Why does food always have to come before the important things?" Shaking his head he looked back towards the palace entrance which was still blocked by two large-looking guards. Deciding it'd just be best to wait, he sat down and leaned against the palace's wall. "Just as long as we get out of here as soon as possible."


Forty minutes later, Zel heard faintly, "Come on, the party's going to start soon!" Recoginizing the sorceress before even opening his eyes, he pushed to his feet and looked where they had come from. He was in for a little bit of shock.

Gourry was dressed in a traditional tux, down even to the black shoes and bow tie. Lina had on a flowing red-and-orange dress that stopped around her ankles. The third (What was her name? Seraya, wasn't it?) was also wearing a dress but it was a swirl of every shade of blue from midnight to sky, and the skirt ended about her knees. Seeing the golem looking at them, Lina waved and stopped in front of him.

"So, what do you think, Zel?" Finally recovering from the small shock, and suddenly feeling like his own clothing was inadequate, he could only mumble something about how "everyone looks nice."

"Gee, thanks Zel!"

"Why thank you, now let's get to the food!"

Seraya only smiled softly in return, her eyes glowing lightly.

By this time, well-dressed couples had started to walk into the palace. Seeing so many paired off and figuring they didn't want to seem so unusual, Lina hooked her arm around Gourry's and started off. Zel watched them then looked back at Seraya, question in his eyes. She nodded then took his arm in a feather-light grip, and they walked after the swordsman and sorceress.


Inside, ballroom music filled the air and the large dance floor was already filling with couples dancing together.

Lina looked around eagerly then dashed over to the large table piled high with food, Gourry running along beside her. A couple minutes later, Zel and Seraya walked in.

Seeing Lina and Gourry's mad dash for the other side of the room, Zel shook his head and commented quietly to the girl at his side, "If it weren't for their stomachs they'd never move." Seraya giggled quietly and nodded in agreement.

Zel led Seraya to one of the empty tables in a darker corner and pulled the chair out for her. She smiled lightly and sat, Zel pushing it back in carefully then took the seat next to her. "Considering the amount of food versus the combined speed of Lina and Gourry, we'll probably see them in about fifteen minutes." Seraya laughed softly and nodded.

"I've never seen two people that ate so much." Zel blinked then looked over at the blond girl. She felt his gaze and looked back. "...? Yes..?" Zel smiled faintly.

"That's the most I've heard you talk since we met you." Seraya nodded and shrugged.

"I don't usually have much to say," she said softly. Zel nodded in agreement, knowing how it felt.


As predicted, it was a quarter of an hour before Lina and Gourry dropped into the other two seats at the table Zel and Seraya had claimed. "That was good!"

Gourry nodded and burped loudly. "Er, excuse me." Lina smacked him. "Ow! I said excuse me!"

"Well you shouldn't've done that so loud any - " Lina was interrupted by a similar sounding belch escaping her own mouth. Gourry grinned at her, Zel rolled his eyes, and Seraya smiled lightly, eyes saying "What goes around..."

"OK, ok, excuse me too." Lina grumbled and sank into her chair a bit. The others looked towards the floor as the music suddenly moved to a more up-beat rock tune, the couples on the floor looking more like a night club.

Zel watched this a moment, then wondered what kind of people could go from ballroom music at one moment to rock at the next. Seraya seemed to be wondering the same thing when she said quietly, "Interesting playlist."

Lina and Gourry looked at Ser with the same expression as Zel did just a little while before. Seraya smiled, blushing under their attention. "I was beginning to wonder if we'd ever get something out of you," Lina said, laughing lightly and patting Seraya on the shoulder. "Soon we'll have a real chatterbox out of you."

She smiled, leaning slightly into the sorceress's touch. Lina didn't notice though as she was watching the food table be refilled. "Second round!" Gourry was staring at some point on the wall over Zel's head and didn't notice. When he didn't say anything, Lina just shrugged and dashed back to the table. "More for me!"

Zel rolled his eyes. "This is going to go on all night, I'm sure of it."

"It's not so bad," Seraya commented quietly. Zel shrugged and reached over, tapping the swordsman on the head. Still no response. Wondering what Gourry was looking at, Zel looked up and followed his gaze.

A small light was flickering quickly, telling anyone that could listen that it was dying and needed to be replaced. Gourry seemed to be listening intently as the lightbulb told its life story. Zel looked between the light and its audience, then shook his head. "Why do I even stay with these people," he muttered.

"Because it's entertaining," rang out a very familiar voice. Zel tensed, afraid of what he'd see when he looked towards the Trickster. Sure enough, when he did look, Xelloss was standing there in front of their table, wearing a tight red dress that fit his rather feminine form closely. "Wouldn't you agree," he grinned, eyes closed yet glowing with laughter at the same time.

Zel sighed. "And just why are you here dressed like that?" Xelloss giggled girlishly and wagged his trademark finger.

"Sore wa himitsu desu, Zel-kun." Zel grumbled as Xel took the seat between Gourry and Seraya as in the background, Lina was yelling impatiently for the third round to be brought out.

Xelloss looked at Gourry then waved a hand in front of his face. "Helloooo in there." Not surprisingly, he didn't get a response. The priest then looked at the girl to his right and smiled innocently. Seraya blushed lightly.

"H-hello, Xel." Zel's eyes widen slightly, surprised that she would know the Mazoku. Xel grinned and adjusted his dress deliberately, causing Seraya to blush deeper and look down.

"Ah, still remember the night in the forest, Seraya-san? That's good, I was hoping you'd never forget that," he smiled brightly as he talked. Zel, meanwhile was stunned, not believeing what he thought he heard. When Xel noticed his face, he giggled again and grinned widely.


The night wore on: Gourry having a conversation with the dying light; Xelloss acting rather sluty, even going as far as to jump into Seraya's lap; Zel wondering what was going on between the two; Seraya constantly blushing and keeping her head down; and Lina eating her way through rounds three, four, and five.

Finally, after the sun had set and the stars were coming out, Lina rejoined the others at the table, dragging over an extra chair and sitting between Zel and Seraya. "Well, I'm full, how's everyone?" She blinked, noticing the femXel sitting across from her. "Xel? Aww, don't tell me you went feminine again."

Xelloss smiled cutely. "Again? Still. ^_^" Lina and Zel rolled their eyes.


The party continued around the five travelers, peaceful conversation and interesting jokes flying this way and that. During that time, Lina noticed out of the corner of her eye that Seraya was watching her more and more. Any time she'd looked to meet those blue eyes, Seraya would look away, blushing profusely.

Not sure why she would be staring, Lina dismissed it.

Later in the evening, as the group was starting to wonder when they could leave, Seraya leaned over towards the sorceress. "Lina-san...," she asked in a whisper. Lina blinked and looked back.

"Nani?"

Seraya swallowed nervously, then replied in a soft tone, "I.. I was wondering... would you... dance with me?" Lina blinked in surprise, then glanced out at the dance floor.

The music had changed to a fast dance techno song, and she noticed there seemed to be large groups all dancing together. Debating then deciding, she looked back at those expectant blue eyes and smiled, nodding. "Sure, sounds like fun."

Seraya's joy was apparent as her eyes started glowing brightly and they stood, making their way out amongst the other dancers. Zel watched them disappear into the crowd then looked at Xelloss and Gourry, who was sad that his friend had finally died. "Now what, men? Er.. and Xelloss." The Mazoku giggled and stood up.

"I think I'll join them, it's boring sitting with a stone boy and a stone-for-brains." Zel glared dangerously at Xel but he had already disappeared into the crowd.

"It's dead..." Gourry seemed on the verge of tears. The golem blinked then sweatdropped.

"Gourry, it was just a lightbulb."

".... WAAAAHHHH!!!"


Out on the dance floor, Lina and Seraya were having a wonderful time swinging and twirling to the addictive beat. Lina grinned at the other girl, seeing those magnetic eyes glowing warmly. She's really taken a liking to me. Wonder why, though, Lina pondered as she kept dancing.

Xelloss appeared all of a sudden and joined them, making a point of moving as close as he could to either girl. Lina just glared at him while Seraya responded more in kind, making Lina suspicious as well what was going on between those two.

The song was nearing its end when Xel stopped all of a sudden, staring off into space as if he were hearing something. Then he smiled fiercely. "I'm so sorry, ladies, but I must depart." Stealing a quick kiss from them both, he disappeared from between them.

Lina shook her head and blinked as the music changed to a slower tune. Glancing around at people pairing off, she started to head back to the table when a gentle grip on her arm stopped her.

"Where are you going...?" Seraya's voice held a tone of fear and sadness, causing Lina to look back at her. The blond girl's eyes were paled as well, afraid of how she would answer.

"It's a slow dance, Ser."

Lina blinked then blushed lightly as Ser moved closer to her, eyes pleading. "Please, Lina-san...?"

"It's just, ah.. I really don't know how to slow dance, and..." Lina blinked again as Seraya took a gentle hold of the red-head's hands and rested them on her waist. My God, she's almost frozen, Lina thought worriedly, fingertips lightly caressing Seraya's cool skin through her dress.

"I can teach you... please, Lina-san, I..." She blushed softly and gently wrapped her arms around Lina's neck, pulling herself closer to the sorceress. Lina's own blush matched her "partner's" but, after getting used the feeling, she closed her eyes and pulled Seraya closer, dancing wonderfully for a beginner.

Seraya mumbled something and rested her head on the taller girl's shoulder, her eyes closed as well. "Thank you, Lina-san..." she whispered. Lina smiled lightly.

"Sure thing, Seraya." This is actually... kinda comfortable, Lina mused silently to herself. Nevermind that her dance partner was another girl, just holding someone close and moving gently with them, it felt so nice.

Even after the song ended and was replaced by another fast rock song, Lina and Seraya stayed the way they were, swaying gently in each other's arms.

Such an unusual sight did not go unnoticed, of course. One middle-aged couple watched the two still dancing slowly. The wife muttered, "Such a waste, two beautiful girls that shouldn't have a problem finding a handsome man." Her husband nodded in polite agreement, perhaps watching the two a bit too much. When his wife noticed, she smacked him upside the head and dragged him outside.

Another pair, younger than the first was watching as well. "Why are they allowed to do that, this is a public place," the man commented to his parter. She smiled sweetly up at him.

"I think it's romantic and very brave."

Several minutes later, a soft whisper escaped the shorter girl's lips. "Lina-san..." Lina shivered slightly, her partner's breath lightly caressing her ear.

"What is it, Seraya?" She opened her eyes and looked down to find Seraya was already looking up at her, eyes glowing softly.

"I was wondering... if..." She blushed deeply, unable to continue. Lina smiled encouragingly.

"Come on, what's on your mind?" Reaching a decision, Seraya answered the question by standing on her tiptoes and kissing Lina lightly on the lips. The sorceress's eyes widened in shock and surprise as Seraya dropped back to standing normally on her feet, eye color swirling gently.

"Th-that... Lina-san..." She can't be serious, I couldn't possibly... Lina shook her head slightly.

"I'm sorry, Seraya... I can't..." Those blue eyes paled sharply, portraying how hurt and sad she was. Her voice was surprisingly level, however.

"I... I understand..." Which that, Seraya gently pulled away from Lina and disappeared into the crowd, headed for the door.

"Wait, Seraya..!" Lina followed, doing her best not to knock anyone over.


Back outside, Lina looked around, wondering where the girl had gone. That was stupid, Lina, so stupid! She probably thinks you hate her now. Sighing, angry at herself, Lina got ready to call out to her when she noticed something. Walking over to a rock in front of the palace, Lina spotted Seraya perched on top of it, curled up with her arms around her knees.

"Seraya?" She trembled and didn't say anything. Lina frowned slightly and moved to beside her. "Seraya, I'm sorry..."

"No... I shouldn't've done that, I'm the one that's sorry..." Seraya kept her eyes closed, shivering slightly. Lina watched her a moment, then leaned against the rock.

"No, don't worry about it." Seraya sighed quietly and whispered something too low for Lina to hear. "What'd you say?" Seraya looked up at Lina, and the sorceress gasped softly. The girl's blue eyes were paled almost to gray. "I.. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt you so much."

Seraya shook her head slightly and looked down. "It's not that, I... I just miss Merima." Lina blinked, and sat down beside Seraya.

"Who's Merima?" Seraya smiled lightly.

"She... was my mother."


Seraya smiled widely up at her mother, her bright blue eyes glowing, shoulder-length blond hair flying as she spun. Merima smiled back at her daughter, fiery red hair flowing down her back and warm golden eyes always glowing with love and kindness.

"You dance well, Seraya." The girl giggled happily and hugged her mother.

"I have a great teacher!" The older woman kissed her forehead and held her close, swaying gently. "Mother..? Is this dancing too?"

"Yes, love. This is what's called slow dancing." Seraya closed her eyes and leaned her small body against her mother's, enjoying the feeling of being held close.

"It feels so nice." Merima smiled again, fingers running through her daughter's hair.

"Yes, it's considered to be the most loving of dances." Soft music started to quietly fill the air and Merima's gold eyes searched for the source. Over by the stereo, Hawk was leaning against the wall, his green eyes shining.

"Music makes dancing twice as special." Seraya opened her eyes and smiled warmly at her older brother. She absolutely adored him, and he felt the same. They were siblings and best friends.

"Don't ever forget this, Hawk, Seraya. Dancing is one of the strongest shows of love and friendship in this universe." Both nodded and Seraya closed her eyes again, savoring being held close.

"I promise I won't forget..."


"So... that's... why I did that, you.. reminded me so much of Merima, warmth and... unconditional kindness, I..." Seraya trailed off, blushing softly. Lina absorbed this.

"I remind you of your mother...?" She nodded. "Wow, I.. I'm very flattered, thank you Seraya-san." She looked up, blue eyes recovering their color slowly. Lina smiled to her, and she smiled back. "Come on, let's go back, we can dance some more."

Seraya smiled warmly and stood, lightly brushing any dust off the back of her skirt. Lina offered the blond girl her arm, and Seraya giggled softly, gently resting her hand on Lina's arm.

Together they walked back, new friends forever.


Back to Slayers Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction