Tears of the Dragon, Part 4: Days of Future Past (part 5 of 7)

a Ranma 1/2 fanfiction by LsMcGill

Back to Part 4 Untitled Document

Between the Darkness and the Light

Orihime looked down to where Lin Tzu had finally cried herself to sleep, and decided it was time to intervene.

She slipped out of the bed, careful not to disturb Ye-Ying or Lin Tzu, and padded to the door.  As she grasped the Dragon’s Wrath, her armor formed, sheathing her nude body in smooth silk and cool golden metal.  She nodded to the guards as she left the Imperial bedchamber and headed to the rooms given to the Emissary.

“I have come to speak to Lady Phoenix,” she told the serving maid who answered her knock.

“She is indisposed, Noble Guardian,” the servant said as she bowed in apology.  “She has not slept well, and will not eat.”

Orihime raised an eyebrow.  “I see.  I have just come from the Empress, who has also been suffering from this malady.  Perhaps you could let Lady Phoenix know I have come to possibly offer aid.”

“Xianghua?  Who is there?” a voice called from deeper in the suite.

The servant turned.  “It is Lady Orihime, my lady.”

Lady Phoenix appeared in a doorway, her long dark hair in disarray, and the short red skirt she wore rumpled from being slept in.  She fixed Orihime with red rimmed eyes, having obviously been crying recently.

“What do you want?” she asked rudely.

Orihime ignored the insult as she bowed slightly.  “I have come on behalf of my Empress, Lady Phoenix.  I had hoped perhaps I could find a way to overcome the difficulties that have arisen.”

“What, you came to beg me to sleep with her?  She tried to MOLEST me last night!”

Orihime sighed, and leaned the Wrath against the wall as she waved the serving girl away.

“My empress can be a trifle… enthusiastic, Lady Phoenix.  I apologize on her behalf.”

Phoenix sniffed.  “I – I…” more tears fell from her eyes as she turned away.

Orihime crossed the room and placed a hand on the distraught woman’s shoulder.  “Please forgive her, Lady Phoenix.  She has no head for wine, and she had too much last night.  She has spent the night crying, fearing that she has destroyed the friendship she has forged with you by her drunken advances.”

Phoenix sobbed.  “Advances?  She practically had me stripped naked before I even knew what she was up too.”

“I must apologize for that as well, My Lady.  I fear Ye-Ying was distracting me, or I could have perhaps enticed her to turn her attentions to me.  I failed in my duties as her Guardian and as her wife.”

Phoenix turned and looked at her with tear streaked eyes.  “It wasn’t your fault, Orihime.  I – I would have utterly failed in my duties as Emissary without your help and advice.  I know Lin Tzu is interested in me.  I – I just… I wasn’t ready for her to express her interest so directly.”

“My beloved cannot love less than wholeheartedly, my Lady Phoenix.  She loves too intently to offer less than the entirety of her self.”

Phoenix hung her head and took a seat on a soft cushion, inviting Orihime to sit as well.  “I – I have wondered many times what Lin Tzu finds so attractive about me.  I am just a simple warrior.  I don’t even know why Queen Serenity decided to send me as her Emissary to the Court of the Dragon.”

Orihime smiled and reached out to Phoenix’s hand.  “You are one of the chosen Guardians of the Moon Princess, and that is a far cry from a ‘simple warrior’.  Serenity chose wisely when she sent you.  I have met the other Senshi, and much as I respect them all, only you care about Lin Tzu as more than a friend.”

Phoenix looked at her.  “Wha – what do you mean?”

Orihime clasped Phoenix’s hand in both of hers as she leaned forward.  “You do not reject Lin Tzu’s love for you out of hand.  I know you find her attractive.  I have spent too much time watching the two of you together to miss the signs.  Had my love not overstepped last night, perhaps in a month, perhaps in two, I doubt not you would have accepted her advances.”

Phoenix blushed.  “I – I feel as if I betray my friendship with you, Orihime, to admit that I have thought of your wife as a lover.”

Orihime lifted Phoenix’s hand to her lips and kissed it softly.  “I would not view it as anything other than the fulfillment of my own desires, Phoenix, for I have come to love you as much as she.  I cannot deny that the soul of fire you possess has drawn me as a moth to a flame.”

Phoenix sighed softly.  “You – you love me?”

Orihime smiled.  “My telling you does not offend you?”

Phoenix shook her head.  “I – I cannot say that I have not come to love you as well.  I have never thought I could so love a woman.    I have always wished to catch Jadeite’s eye, but he has no thought of any these days save Beryl.  I never expected to find love here, amidst the splendors of the Imperial Palace.”  She blushed.  “I cannot deny that I was scandalized when my Queen commanded me to so notorious a Court.”

Orihime shook her head.  “I know my love has caused much commotion among the nobles of Earth with her choice of bedmates, and the number of them, but can you say that we do not truly love one another?”

Phoenix shook her head.  “I cannot.  I had never understood Neptune and Uranus until now, but I have never met souls that have called to me more than Lin Tzu and your sister-wives,” she said softly, her eyes lowered.  “I have for months yearned to be loved so as well.”

Orihime moved to sit next to her and placed an arm around the slender woman’s shoulders.  “Now that you know that you are, will you not join us?  Ye-Ying has been pestering me for weeks to ask you.”

Phoenix smiled shyly.  “Even such as she?  How can I compare to the Songbird of the Imperial Palace, Lady Nightingale?  She is acclaimed everywhere as one of the great treasures of Lin Tzu’s court.”

Orihime laughed gently.  “Would it please you to know I was distracted by her asking me to help her with an ode to her glorious bird of fire?  Despite her incredible voice, my darling songbird is not the most adept of scholars; she is a far better warrior than she has ever been a song writer.” She hugged Phoenix tighter.  “You should have heard the flowery phrases Ying-Ying was supplying her with.  The Imperial Physician was as extravagant as any lovesick bard.”

Phoenix blushed again and smiled softly.

“We all love you, my darling Sailor Mars.  We all welcome you.”

“I welcome you as well, Orihime.  All of you.”  She sighed.  “I – I just was not prepared for the intensity of the desires Lin Tzu displayed last night.  I – I was not ready.”

Orihime nodded in understanding. “Since my love has been claimed by the Dragon, she has gained many unique gifts.  She is like a raging mountain stream, pure and swift and exhilarating.  Even I can be overcome by the intensity with which her affections can be delivered.  Yet I cannot deny that it is also what finally won my heart.  I fought her desires until I could fight her no more, and when I could no longer struggle against the currents of her love, when I finally allowed her to take me where she willed, I found a happiness beyond any measure.”

Phoenix sniffed and smiled shyly.  “Perhaps it is simply I am too poor a swimmer for such currents.  I – I am too young and inexperienced to enter so dangerous of waters.”

Orihime reached out to stroke her cheek.  “Perhaps you should learn to swim in a placid lake first.”

Phoenix closed her eyes and sighed softly.  “I – I think I would like that very much, my lady…”

* * * * *

Ukyo opened her eyes to look into the concerned face of Rei, who was gently wiping her forehead with a cool cloth.

“My Lady Phoenix,” she whispered softly as a smile crossed her lips slowly.

Then sleep claimed her again.  No longer the sleep of fever dreams and memories, but the gentle sleep of healing rest…

* * * * *

Kagura woke to the quiet of sunrise, and blinked as she took a second to recall that she was in the tent she was sharing with Sango and Kagome.  She looked around to see that Sango was asleep sitting up against the tent pole, a bowl of water and a damp cloth in her lap. 

She nodded again as she remembered getting stung by the wasp.  The youkai hunter must have been tending her fever when she fell asleep.  It was surprising.  She would not have expected such concern for someone like her.

She closed her eyes again as she decided she was not quite ready to try moving around much yet and her thoughts drifted back to the conversation she had been having with Nabiki.  It had been so confusing, though she thought she understood the gist of it.  Her dreams had been so chaotic, filled as they were with the images of a phantom figure touching her body, touching her with their lips, and even their tongue.  Her hand rose under the blanket to caress her nipple. 

I have often wondered why it felt so good to touch myself here and between my legs.  It must have been this thing called an orgasm that I have felt, this strange but pleasurable sensation that I have occasionally brought myself to.  I had thought it curious that Naraku had given me such a weakness, such a method of being rendered helpless and unable to move, but perhaps it is simply something Naraku never considered, something that is simply innate in my existence.  There have certainly been enough youkai I have had to kill for attempting to use me as a sextoy simply because Naraku made me female, but it was always an attempt by them to dominate me, to show their strength.  I never considered that perhaps there was more to mating among humans than such simplistic power games.

Her hand found its way lower, and she investigated the warmth and wetness.  It does feel very pleasurable to touch myself so, yet even on those occasions where I have felt secure enough to incapacitate myself for such feelings, they have always left me feeling like there should be more.  It has always puzzled me that it leaves me so helpless yet so desiring of repeating the sensations, and so filled with a yearning to which I had no name.

She sighed as she removed her fingers, and sat up, the blanket falling to her lap.  She looked down at her breasts, and their erect nipples.  Perhaps the reaction to my being unclothed is due to the knowledge that these have some function in sex?  That would explain the monk’s behavior towards Sango, I suppose.  Her combat dress is very form fitting.  Clothing has always simply been a convenience,  simply a way to blend in among humans, but perhaps I should try to be more aware of it.

She found her yakuta and dressed before stepping to the opening of the tent.  Outside she could see Kagome nursing their fire back to life as Inuyasha brought her an armful of firewood.  The young girl yawned and waved at her.

“Glad to see you’re feeling better.”

“Yes.  I feared we were too far away for a rescue.  I hope that the monk did not injure himself by using his kazaana.”

“Actually, Nabiki saved you both.    Inuyasha smelled them, but from what he said, she had killed the whole swarm by the time they got there.”

“Yeah, I squashed them between my shields.” Nabiki said with a yawn as she poked her head out of her tent.  “Only thing I could think of at the time.”

Kagome sighed.  “Can’t you put on some clothes before you come outside?”

Nabiki stuck her tongue out at the younger girl as pink fog suddenly sheathed her from breasts to mid thigh, clinging to her like a second skin.  “That better?”

Kagura smiled.  “So long as you do not forget and allow it to disappear.  I am finding myself amazed at the cleverness with which you are using one simple magical skill.”

Nabiki laughed.  “Nothing to it really, Kagura-san.  Too many years reading superhero comicbooks.  Figuring out how to manipulate the shield into any shape I want has far more to do with Green Lantern than with me giving it any serious thought.  Once you showed me how to make them, and I could make them solid enough, the rest was easy.”

“I see.  But tell me, can you manipulate more than just a single shield?”

Nabiki nodded.  “So far, the best is three, so long as they are pretty simple.”

“Perhaps once you have practiced for a few more days I will attempt to teach you the only other magical art I know, that of actually sensing the flows of  youki which surround us.  If you do as well with that, then you should be able to tell what is occurring around you even when it is not visible.  Had I not been distracted yesterday and allowed myself to be caught unaware, we might have avoiding this unpleasantness.”

“Yeah.  Rei and Ukyo got attacked too, but Rei incinerated her bunch.  Ukyo got stung though.”  Nabiki looked at Kagome.  “She still sleeping?”

Kagome nodded.  “She was when I woke up.  I think Rei was with her half the night.  She’s got to be exhausted.”

Nabiki yawned again as she nodded.  “Yeah, that makes two of us.”

“Your tiredness is for entirely different reasons,” Kagome said with a huff.

“I’m a bunny girl.  He’s a cat.  We’ve both got libidos off the charts.  I’ll try to be a little less enthusiastic.”  She stretched.  “Well, I’m off to the little bunny bush.  What’s for breakfast?”

“Oatmeal.”

“Yuck.  Oh well.  Maybe we can find a pig later.  I’d kill for some bacon.”

Kagura took a seat on a nearby log and enjoyed the warmth of the fire as Nabiki wandered towards the designated bathroom bush.  As she vanished into the small copse of trees, Tatewaki emerged from the one on the other side of camp and walked into the center of the area that they had been using yesterday to spar in.  She watched in interest as he assumed a stance and began going through his kata slowly.

It was interesting really.  In the early morning light, his features mirrored Sesshomaru’s impassive demeanor, and there really was a grace to the motions of his body and sword.  She compared him to Inuyasha, who was currently lounging against a tree behind Kagome, and she could easily see traces of the inugami in his descendant.  But that was where the similarity ended.  She’d fought Inuyasha enough times to know he was fast and agile, but the way he moved was vastly different from the way that the swordsman moved.  Tatewaki had an elegance that Inuyasha lacked, much like his older brother Sesshomaru. 

Then she noticed that Kuno had seen her looking at him so intently, and he blushed, his motions momentarily halting before he closed his eyes and her sharp ears heard him muttering “I must be worthy!  No matter how pretty she is, I will not become a fool.  I must be worthy!  I cannot ask her to date with me!”

Kagura blinked.

Then Tao-Ching came out of his tent, his massive blade over his shoulder, and headed over to the practice area while inviting Kuno to spar.  She turned back to the fire as they limbered up.

And smiled…

* * * * *

When Ukyo awoke again, it was early morning, and Kagome was sitting beside her with a bowl of warm oatmeal.  Ukyo blinked and tried to sit up, wincing at the remnants of pain in her side.  A wave of dizziness came and passed quickly as Kagome reached out a hand to steady her.

“Careful.  The poison is out of your system, but you might be a bit dizzy for awhile.  Miroku usually is.”

“What happened?”

“You got stung by one of Naraku’s wasps.  So did Kagura.  You’re both fine, but you probably should eat something before you try to move much.”

Ukyo nodded and accepted the bowl of oatmeal.  “How is Rei?”

“Rei is fine.  We found you two in the middle of a half mile wide circle of fine ash.  Rei says she lost her temper when you got stung.”

“Wai for being a Senshi.  All I remember is hearing a buzz and then searing pain.  I guess that must have been the sting.  Glad she was there.”

“Yeah.  Nabiki saved Kagura from another swarm of them.  Naraku uses them as spies and assassins.  Miroku has been poisoned a bunch of times because Naraku uses them to make him keep his hand sealed.  We think they were hunting for Kagura, and probably attacked you because it was an opportunity.”

“I see.  How long was I out?”

“Just the night.  Rei was up half the night taking care of you, until your fever broke.  She’s still sleeping.  Totosai is outside, but he said take your time.”

Ukyo handed the empty bowl back.  “No, if he’s done, I want to see it.”  She stood carefully, waiting for a second as the dizziness passed, but it went quickly, and with food in her stomach, she felt almost normal.  She nodded to herself and straightened her tube top and tights, then stepped out of the tent.

She found Totosai sitting by the campfire, watching as the fighters sparred.  Tao-Ching was explaining something to Inuyasha while Kuno and Miroku demonstrated.  It looked like the white haired youkai was grumbling, but listening.

The smith looked at her as she approached, the long metal shaft in his hand gleaming golden in the morning light.  Ukyo looked it over, noting the counterweight at the base of the staff, and the long bag that covered the blade.  Totosai nodded as he stood.

“I have finished, Lady Ukyo.  It is a simple blade, but the balance and weight should be right.  It hungers for your hand.  Much of yourself was imbedded within the metal of your axe, and it joined with the essence of the single gold dragon scale I had left.  It is no comparison to the Wrath, but as I promised, it is a weapon that will serve you well.”

Tao-Ching and the others had come over on noticing that she had come out of the tent, and they looked on as the smith held out the weapon.  Ukyo bowed, and reached out to let the smith gently place it in her hand. 

From the moment it touched her hand, she felt the rightness, and as Totosai untied the cover and drew it from the blade, she felt herself smile.

It was plain, unadorned.  As he had said, a simple weapon, but she knew the curves of its blade, the weight of its metal, the sweep of its razor sharp tip.

Totosai had copied the Wrath.

Right down to the long crimson ribbon that hung from a small ring at the back of the blade.

She placed the stubby pyramidal spike at its base against the ground as she held it upright and bowed.  “Thank you, Totosai-sama.  I do not know how to repay you.”

Totosai smiled.  “You can repay me by coming back to me with the Dragon’s Wrath once more in your hand.  Seeing my master’s finest work back in the hands of its true owner is all I ask.”

Ukyo nodded solemnly.  “When I have recovered it, I shall somehow find you, and give you that payment.”

Nabiki smiled.  “Lo Shen said Totosai lives near the palace in our time.  We’ll be able to keep that promise, no matter when you fulfill it.”

Ukyo nodded.  Tao-Ching cleared his throat.  “So Ukyo, you ready to give that toy a proper welcome?”

Ukyo gripped the haft of her weapon and smiled.  “It’s a guan dao, Tao-Ching, and yes, I think the Wrathseeker and I want to play.

* * * * *

Ukyo stood on the edge of the small field and slowly twirled her blade staff.  It moved easily in her hand, naturally.  The long ribbon twirled behind it in a spiral as she waited for Tao-Ching to make the first move.

He came, an overhand blow that she sidestepped, and she twisted the staff in her hand to cut towards his back, smiling as he ducked under it and responded with a kick at her ankle that she avoided by vaulting over him.  Her fingers loosened slightly as she landed and the haft slid through them until she had the larger section of the counterweight in her hand, and she thrust, forcing him to alter his charge into a block as he realized she had almost fourteen feet of reach.

“Tricky.  Good.”  He said through a wide grin, his fangs showing as he licked his lips.  “Let’s pick up the pace shall we?”

Ukyo laughed as she flipped aside from the sweeping cut, then swung the staff behind her back to block the following slash.  She placed the point of the blade against the ground as she launched herself upwards, doing a handstand on the very end of the staff before she used her momentum to snap the blade over and down.

Tao-Ching caught it on the flat of his blade.  “Nice move.  You looked like Seung Mina from Soulcaliber with that one.  My mom is the Amazon’s Guan Dao master.  She’d say you were showing promise.”

Ukyo smiled.  “You ain’t seen nothing yet, sugar.” she said smugly as her ribbon wrapped around his feet and she pulled them out from under him.

Tao-Ching turned the fall into a roll and came up blocking her multiple thrust assault, his zanbatou ringing as it absorbed the impacts.

As they stepped back to circle each other, Tao-Ching grinned in savage joy.  “Okay, warm up’s over.  Ready to get serious?”

Ukyo grounded her guan dao and leaned it on her shoulder as she cracked her knuckles and shook her body to loosen her joints.  Then she resumed a stance.  “How serious you want to get, sugar?”

Tao-Ching’s head lowered as his eyes glittered and he began to glow a soft green.  “Let’s see how good you really are.”

Ukyo smiled too as she was surrounded by a neon blue aura.  “Yeah, I like that idea.”

* * * * *

Rei emerged from the tent to see Ukyo and Tao-Ching sparring, and she smiled.  It looked like Ukyo had gotten her new weapon.

She joined Nabiki to watch as Ukyo and Tao-Ching started to glow, and her jaw dropped.  “What’s going on?”

Totosai was watching as well.  “I believe we are about to witness two masters of their craft display their finest arts.”

She watched as the auras around the two grew brighter, and the wind around the field began to blow inward towards the two warriors, then she blinked as the stony ground around them began to crack and small stones began to rise.  Even Inuyasha whistled. 

“Man, that’s some battle aura.”

Totosai nodded.  “And neither of them have their true weapons either.  Watch Inuyasha.  Watch and learn.”

With a roar almost like his smilodons’, Tao-Ching moved, his blade blurring.

But Ukyo blurred too, and she matched him thrust and parry.  Her guan dao shone with a clear blue light, and rang like a bell as it countered the glowing green zanbatou.

Then she got in a kick that sent Tao-Ching flying thirty feet, but he twisted in mid air and landed catlike on his feet, launching himself back instantly, the rock under him shattering with the strength of his kick.  Ukyo caught his attack on her staff, the ground under her crumbling as she absorbed the force of his blow, and then threw him into the sky, launching herself after him.

Rei watched as they clashed in midair, both seemingly as comfortable in the sky as on the ground, and knew she was watching as Ukyo gave in to her memories.  Ukyo Kuonji, the combat okonomiyaki chef, had surrendered her fight against Lady Orihime and resumed her role as the Dragon’s Guardian.  She had known it last night, when Ukyo had called her “Lady Phoenix”. She had accepted at least that part of her destiny, as Rei had once had to do to fight Beryl.

She had known it was coming from the moment she had seen her Phoenix on Ukyo’s back… so close, yet so far away…

And she knew, she truly knew, how Akane felt.

She sighed, and watched as Ukyo - who like Zhu Shu would never be her Ukyo, but who would always be in her heart - took one more step towards becoming who she had once been, and realized that she was finally at peace with giving Zhu Shu to the chef.

Because, in the end, she was losing nothing.  Though her destiny might lay on a different path, it would always be intertwined with them both.  If she was to be the means by which Ukyo overcame her reluctance to love Zhu Shu, then she could only count it as a blessing from the Dragon.  As much as she wished it could be more, she had Ying-Ying’s sad confirmation that it would never be.

She smiled as she watched Ukyo move, enjoying her elegance of motion as she danced amid the clouds of shattered rock the pair were making, and found herself wishing that those damn wasps hadn’t interrupted yesterday.  Still, they had a long journey ahead of them, and Rei was certain they would have another time alone.  Maybe by the time they had rescued Zhu Shu, Ukyo might even be willing to go beyond kissing.  She so looked forward to feeling Ukyo’s lips caressing hers and badly desired to show the chef the intensity of her own desires.  Their kiss had woken such a need inside her she hardly could contain herself, and she could only hope that Ukyo would be willing to share that passion with her for what little time they could be together.  She so envied her and Zhu Shu for the soulbond that they shared, yet it was also what had drawn her so completely to them both.  To be so loved…

Beside her, Nabiki noted the dreamy eyed look, and smiled.

* * * * *

The sparring match ended when Ukyo disarmed Tao-Ching, sending him and his zanbatou spinning in opposite directions when she had descended in front of him, driving her weapon into the ground in a pulse of ki that exploded into a massive shock wave as she hit.  He picked himself up from the edge of the thirty foot wide crater, dusted himself off, and bowed.  “Not bad, not bad at all.  You’d probably give my mom a run for her money.”  He walked over to his sword as Ukyo climbed out of the crater, then joined her.  “Mind if I take a closer look?”

Ukyo smiled as she tossed the Wrathseeker to him and gratefully took the towel Rei held out for her to wipe the sweat off of her face.   “We’d both probably have lasted longer if we weren’t rusty.”  She chuckled.  “Last time I held a guan dao seems like a lifetime ago.”

Rei giggled along with Ukyo as Tao-Ching nodded.  “Yeah.  I was stupid and let the teasing of my buddies in the JSDF get to me and put it away for three years.  I’d almost forgotten how good it feels to use the weapon I spent so many years perfecting my skills at.  While a gun is quick and effective, and my hand to hand is nearly as good as your average female warriors, it’s just not the same.  I really wonder what might have happened had I chosen to continue my training and met Herb with three years more skill than I had when I first fought him.  I lost mainly because it was three to two.”

Nabiki raised an eyebrow.  “What exactly happened when you went to fetch the Kaisufuu anyway, Tao-baby?  You never did tell me that story.”

Tao-Ching shrugged.  “Lo Shen and Ke Lun wouldn’t have approved of my tactics.  I shot Herb in the head with armor piercing rounds.  She’s a skeleton on the bottom of Tokyo Bay.”  He shrugged.  “I would have liked to have collected her armor as proof, but the sharks were a bit thick.  I’ll have to go scuba diving one of these days and see if I can find it.”

Nabiki blinked.  “Wow, hun, you can be downright evil when you want to be.”

Tao-Ching grinned as he gave the Wrathseeker a few twirls.  “I’m an Amazon, Nabi-chan.  When necessary, we kill, and we always settle our debts.”  He nodded as he handed the blade staff back to Ukyo.  “Nice.  I would have thought that the blade being off center like that would make it a little awkward, but the cutouts lighten it and the upswept point actually brings the blade’s center of balance back to midline.  That thing’s as much an axe as it is a spear.”

Ukyo nodded.  “The cutouts can also be used to snare an enemies weapon to disarm him, or to break his weapon, and the curve gives it tremendous cutting power.  The Wrath itself is more ornamented, with dragons etched and silver plated on either side of the blade, and a gold leaf dragon wrapping the length of the staff, against crimson lacquer.  Then there’s the armor that it summons…”  Ukyo blushed.  “I have a sneaking suspicion that it was designed by a hentai video game designer.  It’s a bit, um… risqué.  Totosai says it is magical, and despite the, um, lack of substantiality, it is impervious to ordinary weapons.”

Tao-Ching raised an eyebrow.  “The Wrath?”

Ukyo shrugged and jerked a thumb at her back.  “The Dragon’s Wrath.  My true weapon, from my previous life.”

“Ah.  Yeah, I remember Zhu Shu’s the reincarnation of the Dragon Empress, I didn’t know you were a reincarnation too.”

Ukyo sighed and leaned on the Wrathseeker.  “Yeah.  I used to be Lady Orihime, the Dragon’s Guardian.”

Tao-Ching laughed.  “YOU’RE Lady Orihime? Oh man, you have got to meet my mother now.  I’ve spent my life hearing her stories of Lady Orihime, the ancient hero who has been her idol since she was a little girl.”

Ukyo raised her eyes to heaven as she pleaded to the Dragon to please spare her from ever having such a meeting…

* * * * *

The school day passed uneventfully, though Akane was starting to wonder if Kodachi had finally given up on her.  She had been missing ever since the night at the Club, and Akane could have sworn she had seen Sasuke hovering around the school entrance that morning anxiously looking for her.  Annoying as she was, Akane still hoped she was just off sulking and not in some sort of real trouble. 

After school, she had called the Kuno mansion, but there had been no answer.  She let it ring for three minutes before shrugging and going into the dojo to teach the girls.

She’d put it out of her mind by the time Luna and Artemis came into the dojo just as practice was ending.  Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Ranma start as she saw the felines, then recognition set in and she relaxed.  Akane raised an eyebrow as she thought, Interesting. 

“Hiya Luna, what’s up?” Usagi asked as she wiped her face off with a towel.  “You just missed me actually getting a compliment from Ranma on my kick!” the blonde girl beamed.

“Don’t let it go to your head, Usagi.  I said you did one kick perfectly.  You still need work to be consistent.” the red head grumbled.  “You’re acting like you’re afraid to actually follow through on the kick because you’re afraid someone might see your panties.”

The odangoed girl blushed.

Shan Pu chuckled.  “If is true, Shan Pu can fix.  Make train way Zhu Shu do.”

Mina chuckled.  “I can just see that.  All of us doing kata in the nude.”

Akane shrugged.  “If that’s what it takes.  Modesty has no place in combat.  Particularly when your life is on the line.”

Usagi blushed harder.  “But – but Ranma is a boy!”

Akane gave her a level look.  “Not at the moment she isn’t.  And that’s beside the point.  You can’t afford to be embarrassed when you’re fighting a youma.  That thing I fought might not have been much of a threat, but she was seriously trying to kill me. So, tomorrow, you all better bring gym shorts and bikini tops.  I’m forbidding you gi as of now.  And if you keep it up, I will make it nude practice.”

Ami blushed as well, while Mina and Makoto chuckled.  “This should be fun,” Makoto said to the blonde.

Mina gave her a grin.  “I wonder if our princess can do it.”

“You’re all picking on me!” Usagi wailed.

Ami put a hand on her arm.  “Really they aren’t Usagi-chan.  I’m embarrassed too, but Akane is right.  I’ve been studying martial arts books and watched some of the professional video tapes.  None of the female fighters who’ve been champs seem to worry about their modesty during a fight.  It’s something we should try to overcome.”

Artemis chuckled.  “That’s never seemed to have been a problem with Minako.  But, if I may interrupt this amusing discussion? We’ve come to speak to all of the Senshi.”

Akane nodded.  Ranma looked to Shan Pu and back at the white cat.  “You want us to duck out?”

Artemis sat on his hindquarters and shook his head.  “Not necessary.  In fact I want to thank you and Akane and Shan Pu for training everyone.  Because of that, Luna and I have been working on something to help out too.”

Luna went to the dojo door and dragged in a large pouch.  She nosed it open and pulled out five wands and six watches, each marked with a symbol for one of the Senshi.

“Artemis and I have been fine tuning things using the records Ami’s been making and we’ve made new wands and communication watches for each of you.  These new wands have been calibrated to your new power levels, and should enable all of you to be stronger than the previous ones.”

Akane blinked as she reached out to touch the one that had a plain circle around a dot, the symbol for Earth.  “This one is mine I take it?”

Luna nodded.  “It’s calibrated to you directly instead of to Zhu Shu, so it shouldn’t have any weird side effects like what the other one did to your hair.”

Akane laughed.  “I’m not complaining.  I like it, and apparently so does Shan Pu.  She’s been washing it for me every bath, and rebraiding it every morning.”

The catgirl giggled.  “Shan Pu like run fingers through Ai Ren hair, nyah.”  Then she frowned.  “New pen still give same outfit, yes nyah?”

Artemis nodded.  “Yes, we didn’t modify the designs, just boosted the effectiveness.”

Usagi pouted.  “Poor Rei isn’t going to be able to use hers for a while.”  Then she did a double take.  “Hey, there’s only a watch for me?”

Luna sighed.  “Your locket has the Ginzishou, Usagi.  How are we supposed to upgrade that?”

“Oh, yeah.  Cool.  Wow.”  She smiled.  “We should celebrate!  Let’s go get ice cream!”

Makoto laughed.  “That’s our princess.  Always thinking with her stomach.”

Ranma laughed.  “Well, she’s right.  I’ll even treat.  We’ve been making tips like mad at the club, and I want to relax before work.”

Akane gave her a sidelong glance.  “You just want ice cream.”

Ranma gave her a grin.  “Of course I do.  I like being able to order anything I like and not having to be embarrassed to eat it.”

“It’s a wonder you haven’t turned into ice cream, you eat so much of it.”

Shan Pu giggled.  “If Ai Ren do, it just excuse for Shan Pu eat. Myuu!”

Ranma blushed to her neckline as Akane laughed.

* * * * *

Konatsu watched wide eyed as Lo Shen sat back and gave Ying-Ying a small frown.

“Well, this will make things a little more difficult.  I can’t get a clear connection to you to examine you.  Must be because you lack a body to anchor your soul, so you’re just pure spiritual essence.”

Ying-Ying lowered her eyes.  “I am sorry, Loremistress.”

“It just means I’m going to have to question you, and please be as precise as possible, because I need to know what you still have to learn.  First, who’s been teaching you magic?  Ke Lun said no-one in Zhu Shu’s village was a mage.”

Ying-Ying shook her head.  “I have been Legend’s apprentice for the last four years.  He said he could have simply given me the skills of a master mage, but he has been insistent that I try to live as close to life as I could.  My return to the mortal world has been stranger for me than my existence in the spirit realm due to my intangibility.  I may not have had to sleep in the spirit realm, but in my little place I was quite physical and retained physical sensations such as hunger and thirst, so I have a kitchen and the various accoutrements of my life, and have learned how to cook quite well out of simple boredom.  In many ways, my life as a spirit has been identical to the life I had before I died.”

Lo Shen raised an eyebrow.  “I see.”

Ying-Ying nodded.  “In the same manner, Legend has trained me as any apprentice in the mortal realm has been trained.  I have learned meditation, shielding, centering, basic scrying, and much about healing the mind and body.  Primarily I have learned the various magics of the mind, mostly communication, empathic as well as telepathic, and of course telekinesis.  I have also studied the art of dreamweaving.  Of the physical magics, I have studied little beyond basic alchemy and herbalism - mainly healing medicines.  I have also done much reading about the modern art of medicine with particular interest in the science of psychology.”

Lo Shen nodded.  “Interesting.  So Legend has trained you primarily in the physician’s arts, the skills that suit a priestess of a peaceful deity.  I really should have known that already, Lady Ying-Ying,” she said with a rueful smile.

Ying-Ying blushed.  “Legend would be the first to tell you that he is no god, just an embodiment of the forces which shape all things.  He tends to get embarrassed when people call him a deity, or pray to him.”

Lo Shen laughed.  “I like him already.  Wish more of the supernaturals thought like that.  Too many deities have egos that far outstrip their powers.”

“Legend has very little ego, Sensei.  While it is true I am essentially similar to a priestess fulfilling the desires of my deity, Legend does not desire worship, nor do I have any duties beyond those of being his representative and guarding my soulmates as best I may.  In this alone has Legend granted unto me any innate powers and abilities, and even I am unaware as to the extent of them.”

Lo Shen nodded.  “Fair enough,” she said as she stood.  “Alright, you two stay here, I have to go and collect a few books and materials.  I believe I brought a few primers that I can let you go over to see what you already know and we can go from there.”

Ying-Ying bowed as the bunnygirl mage slid closed the door to the room.  Then she turned as she felt Konatsu’s hand brush through her arm.

“I am confused,” Konatsu’s emerald eyes blinked.  “Who is this ‘Legend’ you speak of?”

Ying-Ying laughed.  “Legend is the name the Dragon has chosen for himself.  He says he got tired of always being referred to as ‘The Dragon of Legend’ by a western mage once known as Merlin.”

“You speak of the Dragon as if you have met him.”

“Indeed, I have bided in a place of his making for the four years since my death, watching over his daughter, Zhu Shu.  He is my teacher, and I spoke to him only days ago.”

“Is not the Dragon an ultimate being? The ruler of all gods?  I had thought that was why he alone was the patron of the true line of the Imperial Dynasty.”

Ying-Ying shook her head.  “He is beyond our comprehension, my love, but he is as much a part of our greater universe as you or I.  He rules no-one and commands nothing.  He merely is.  He is a manifestation of the forces of the universe, the force which seeks balance in all things, just as Chaos is that principle which seeks to undo balance and force everything to an absolute, be it absolute order or absolute anarchy.  Legend is Unity, where Chaos is Division.”

“But you have called Zhu Shu the Daughter of the Dragon, the true heir of the Imperial Line, and the heir to the powers of the Empress Lin Tzu.  If he is not a god, what does that mean?  Is it but an empty title?”

“It means exactly what it says, Ko-chan.  That she is Legend’s child.  And as such, she is tied to the primal forces which underlie our reality.  In this, she is no different than any other sentient being, save that her abilities to shape the world around her are as much instinctual as they are learned.  As Lo Shen has learned to affect the reality we live in by force of will, so can Zhu Shu.  The only difference is that for Zhu Shu, what would take Lo Shen a mighty effort, much knowledge, and great force of will to accomplish, she could do by instinct alone.”

“So she is more powerful.  More than merely human.” Konatsu said decisively, nodding.

“No.  She is not.  She is simply more intuitive.”  Ying-Ying sighed.  “It is that misperception which has caused Clan Dragon so many troubles throughout the centuries since Lin Tzu first won Legend’s love.  Sadly, it even caused the rift which pitted Musk against the Dragon, and which set poor Clove on her mad misguided quest to become the sole Daughter of the Dragon.  The powers of Lin Tzu, the Dragon’s Gift, as it has been called, is the drop of Legend’s blood with which he made her his child.  Through that gift, he made her a part of himself, and all else came from that.  While it is true that Zhu Shu is not truely human, and that she has the potential to wield the power of what we call a god, in this, she is no different from any thinking creature who understands that the world we inhabit is merely a shadow created by our limited perceptions.  Even the spirit and the mortal realms, from Earth to the Celestial and Infernal realms are but shadows of the true reality.  The only universal truth is that we are all simply patterns of coherent energy, from the tiniest subatomic particle to Legend himself.  Only our level of complexity changes.  It is our perceptions of reality that confine us to our limited reality, and our ability to change those perceptions which enable us to alter it.  Everyone has this ability, but few understand, or use it.  All that Legend’s blood has granted to his daughters is a wider perception.”

“Only his daughters? Not the entire line of Lin Tzu?”

Ying-Ying laughed.  “It is even more limited than that.  What the Dragon’s Blood inadvertently did was make a very specific energy pattern overwhelmingly dominant.  Every Daughter of the Dragon save Clove has been in essence an exact copy of Lin Tzu.”

Konatsu blinked.  “Why not Clove?”

“Because Clove also bore the blood of a true dragon, and it’s magical nature merged with that of Legend’s legacy.  Zhu Shu is the reincarnated soul of Lin Tzu, reborn time and again, but Clove is not a copy.  She is more like her sister.”

The kunoichi’s eyes were troubled.  “But what of the Fang and the Talon?” Konatsu asked in bewilderment.  “The swords of power born by the Heir?”

“They are swords crafted by a powerful wizard and empowered by an object of immense mystical power, the Ginzishou.  That imbued them with of a limited sense of self awareness.  In times of great need or of great danger, they can act on their own to aid the Heir and use the various special abilities they were crafted with, but their perceptions of our world are linked to the Heir, and they may only act if called upon.  Their power is immense, and when they are coupled with her senshi henshin, they are nearly a match for the Ginzishou in raw mystical strength, though more limited in how they can use that power.” 

Konatsu blinked several times as she digested that.  “So then why is being the Dragon’s Child so important?  Why would Xi’an Chi covet her so?”

Ying-Ying shook her head sadly.  “Because she is inherently as much a part of the greater universe as she is part of the limited realm of mortal existence.  And as such, she is seen by him as a shortcut to power great enough to overthrow his mistress, Chaos.  He believes that if he takes the Blood of the Dragon for himself, he will become the most powerful god in existence.  What he has never grasped is that he chases an illusion.  He is already as powerful as Lin Tzu ever was, due to his alliance with Chaos, and even were he to take her link to Legend, it’s sole use would be to allow Chaos to strike at Legend directly.  Xi’an Chi would gain nothing from her death because Zhu Shu is no more powerful than any conscious being, from Legend on down to the lowest thinking creature.  She appears more powerful solely because her ability to manipulate the patterns of energy around her is subconscious.  Any mage, with sufficient will and mental discipline, could equal her.  It is her ability to instinctually manipulate energy that is her true strength.”

Konatsu blinked, her green eyes looking stunned.  “But if that is true of any Daughter of the Dragon, wouldn’t that mean that Clove is exactly the same?”

Ying-Ying nodded.  “She was, and is, just as much Legend’s child as Zhu Shu.”

“Yet one is favored and the other hated.” Konatsu said bitterly.

“Not by Legend, Ko-chan.  He loves Clove as much as Zhu Shu.  It is merely the fact that she has been set to do great harm to her sister by Hild that we guard against her.  Hild brought her back and set her to a task of pointless revenge for the ‘crime’ of saving the life of Mara, a demon who loved Hild’s own daughter, and who was forced by Hild to work for her love’s ruin.  Because Legend chose to allow their love to flourish instead of being destroyed, Hild resurrected Clove, and now she waits for her to kill Zhu Shu.”

“But did not Zhu Shu destroy the last of the Musk dynasty?  Does not Clove have a reason for revenge? A right to seek it for the murderer of her family line?” Konatsu asked heatedly.

Ying-Ying sighed as she shook her head. “Clove has been deceived, and tricked into seeking vengeance.  Xi’an Chi seduced the three sole survivors of the Musk, Herb, Lime and Mint, and set them to attack the Amazon village.  Lime was slain fighting against Tao-Ching.  His death was a personal score between them, brought about by the hatred he bore his enemy and that Tao-Ching bore towards him for his near death at the Musk’s hands.  Had Lime not attacked the Amazons, Tao-Ching would not have had to carry out the blood vow he had made to kill Lime when next they fought. Xi’an Chi killed Mint from hiding with a spell solely to prevent the Loremistress from questioning him, and Clove was placed into the body of Herb, who Hild herself killed solely to provide an empty vessel.  While it is true the Musk are no more, it was Xi’an Chi who set their destruction in motion, just as he did so many years ago.  And he did so for precisely the same reason he had used them before, in an attempt to possess the Dragon’s Child.”

Konatsu looked down at her hands.  “By the gods… So much tragedy… So much pointless death and destruction because of one madman’s obsession.”  She trembled.  “If Clove is truly as much Legend’s daughter as Zhu Shu, then why did Xi’an Chi kill her?  Why did he set her against the Clan of the Dragon?  Why not simply use her as he tries to do to Zhu Shu. Why did he toss her aside and drown her?”

Ying-Ying laid her hand on Konatsu’s and gripped as tightly as her ghostly state would allow.  “Because his obsession with the descendants of Lin Tzu would not let him believe that Clove was a true heir of the Dragon.  His sole objective was Song Shi Wang’s young daughter.”  She sighed.  “I feel so sorry for Clove, because all her life, both past and present, she has been used badly by those who have deceived her.”

Konatsu’s emerald eyes met Ying-Ying’s crystal blue ones.  “You – you do not hate her for being sent to kill Zhu Shu?” she asked in surprise.

“I cannot, Ko-chan.  She is Legend’s child, and her life has been so filled with tragedy, misunderstandings, and deceptions.  Between Xi’an Chi’s manipulations of tensions between Musk, Dragon, and Joketsuzoku, her own father’s greed and ambition, and the petty jealousies and rivalries of her friends and peers, she never had a chance for happiness.  Legend hopes that with her rebirth, perhaps that can be found for her at last.”

Konatsu looked away and sighed.  “If she is caught, she can hardly even expect mercy, can she?  Not after everything that has happened.  How can she find happiness?” she said sadly.  “Even if she is shown the lies she has been deceived by and regrets what she has done, she is doomed to be despised and hated by those who have wronged her and who she has wronged.  All chance of happiness was lost long ago.”

Ying-Ying reached out to touch her cheek and bring Konatsu’s eyes back to hers.  “It is true Ke Lun, and Lo Shen remember too much of their past bitterness.  In time, I have hopes they will let go the past and see the truth of their own misperceptions.  And not everyone who yet lives remembers Clove with anger and hate.  There are those who have already forgiven her for her sins.”

Konatsu sighed as her head dropped and her bangs shadowed her eyes. “Even if there are, she has bargained with the Queen of Hell.  Her life is forfeit should she fail in her quest.  She must kill Zhu Shu or Hild will take back the life she restored.”

Ying-Ying raised Konatsu’s face with her hand to look her in the eyes again.  “And if Hild tries, she will have to fight for her.  On that, you have Legend’s vow.”

Konatsu’s breath caught as the ghost’s eyes swirled and liquid gold replaced the crystalline blue.

Ying-Ying gave her a toothy smile.  “At least for now, Clove has found a safe place to hide.  Hopefully, she’ll stay there for awhile, while Legend prepares.  If she comes out of hiding too soon, saving her from Chaos might not be possible.  Things aren’t ready yet, because Legend never expected Hild to resurrect her, but once they are, not all the forces of hell itself will prevent Legend from reclaiming his lost child.”

Emerald green eyes stared into ones of molten gold for a long moment before they slowly faded to dark brown…

But before they were gone, there was hope in them, and for the fleeting instant that passed before Legend released her, Ying-Ying felt him smile.

* * * * *

Since Ranma had offered to buy, the girls all decided they wanted to check out this new ice cream store they had passed on the bus to the dojo.  They had said there had been a big crowd, and when they got there it was still pretty packed, so the girls all picked a table on the outdoor patio as Akane and Ranma went to the window with their order.

“Man, did they have to order the most expensive things on the menu?”  Ranma groused.

Akane chuckled.  “You were the one who offered to treat.  But don’t worry, I’ll chip in too.”  She looked to where Shan Pu was sitting with the other girls, her hands filled with two bundles of ecstatic fur, and smiled.  “Trust a cat to know exactly how to make another cat happy.  I thought for sure those two were going to cry before Shan Pu volunteered to stay at the table petting them.”

“They were all three purring on the bus ride here.” Ranma chuckled.

“Speaking of cats, I noticed you almost jumped when they came in to the dojo earlier.”

Ranma sighed.  “Yeah, I guess I’m not totally over being afraid of cats.  Regular cats still give me chills, but at least it’s not the all out panic I used to have.  I actually managed to force myself to pet one the other day.”  The red head shrugged.  “Cats that I know are not really cats, like those two and Tao-Ching, don’t seem to bother me at all anymore.  It was just the seeing cats before recognizing them that made me start.”

Akane smiled.  “That’s good.  If you can at least function around them, maybe we won’t ever have to worry about you going into the Neko-ken again.”

“I wouldn’t mind being able to use the Neko-ken, Akane, if I could only not lose my mind doing it.”

Akane shrugged, and watched a customer in line ahead of them pick up a particularly delicious looking treat.  She eyed it enviously as the guy walked away a short distance and took a huge lick.

And she saw his aura flicker and dim slightly.

She blinked, but as he took his next lick, it happened again.  It was a small difference, but she was looking right at him as it happened.

“Akane?” Ranma asked.  She held up her hand as she looked for another customer.  This one was a young girl holding her fathers hand as they each took an ice cream cone from the counter girl.  Her aura was a rosy pink.  Akane watched closely as she smiled happily at the ice cream and thanked her dad for getting it. 

Then she took a lick, and her aura flickered, she looked at her dad’s hand holding hers in annoyance, and yanked it free.  Her father snorted and turned away from her as he took another bite.

She looked around, and saw similar incidences occurring with every customer.  It was slight, but everyone who was eating the ice cream had dimmed auras.

“Ranma, there is something wrong with that ice cream,” she said quietly.

“Huh?”

“Everyone who’s eating it.  Their auras are dimming.  It’s like the ice cream is sucking the energy out of them.”

“Say what?”  Ranma yelped.

Keep your voice down!” Akane hissed.  “You want to start a panic?  I’m telling you something is not right here.”

Her eyes swept the crowd, trying to figure out what was going on.  Then she jerked her eyes back to the one person who was also looking over the crowd.

And smiling.

She was tall, with white hair in a braid hanging over her shoulder, and her bangs held back by another braid cleverly woven across her forehead.  It almost, but didn’t quite, cover the upside down black crescent moon on her forehead.

“Ranma.  Go back to the girls.” She said very quietly, barely moving her lips.  “Tell them that there is someone from Blackmoon doing something nasty at this shop.  It’s not that Cooan person that attacked Chibi-Usa, but I’ll bet she’s one of the ‘Four Phantom Sisters’.”

Ranma suddenly went on high alert.  “Where?” she said just as quietly, her eyes scanning without her head moving.

“That white haired lady with the parasol.”

“Got her.” She raised an eyebrow.  “So what’s the plan?”

“Tell Shan Pu and Makoto to hit the roof, and have Makoto henshin.  If she leaves, I’m going to try and follow her until she’s someplace we can capture her.  They’re my back up.  You and the others are going to hang out here, and when this place closes in a half hour, go in and investigate.  I’m betting at least one of those shop girls is another youma.”

“Why not me and Shan Pu?”

“Because I might need magical backing, and they might need physical.  This way we’ve got it covered both ways.”

Ranma raised an eyebrow.  “You better watch yourself.  I’m going to be pretty pissed if you get hurt.”

Akane kissed her on the cheek.  “Same to you.  Now scoot, it looks like she’s about to leave.”

Ranma moved quickly, dodging out of the crowd without making a disturbance, and Akane saw out of the corner of her eye as Shan Pu and Makoto nodded and did a quick fade.  She was edging out of the crowd herself when her quarry started to turn and walk down the street.

Blessing Zhu Shu for the speed she had gained as part of their link, she blurred to the roof, nodding to see Shan Pu was already following and Makoto had changed.

“Okay, we’re going to try and take her.  We’re going to have to do it unawares, because if she sees us, she’ll just teleport.  We’ve got to take her out first.  Once she’s unconscious, we keep her that way and get her to the dojo.  Lo Shen can probably keep her from teleporting away once we wake her up.”  She pulled out her wand as she talked.  “I’m going to be the one grabbing her.  You two keep me covered just in case.”

Shan Pu frowned.  “Ai Ren not only quick one, nyah!”

Akane gave her a peck on the cheek.  “I know, hun, but I am the fastest one here.  And I’m a senshi.”

The cat girl pouted.  “Shan Pu wanted in on fun too, myuu.”

“You will.  Next youma is yours, okay?”

Makoto rolled her eyes.  “Man, you guys remind me of me and my Sempai before Kodachi stole him.”  She nodded.  “I think she’s going for that alley up there.  Let’s intercept her.”

Akane nodded and held up her wand.  “Earth Star Power, MAKE UP!

* * * * *

Ranma lay on the edge of the roof watching the store clerks and trying to figure out which one was a youma.  She looked over as Usagi wiggled up next to her, followed by Luna.

“Keep your head down, you baka.  Those odango stick up way too far.”

Usagi fumed.  “If you’re going to be that way, I’m not going to tell you the message we just got.” She tried to look disdainful while Luna sighed.

“Akane got the Blackmoon sister.”

“Huh, hey how did you know that?”

Ranma rolled her eyes.  “Because that’s what she went to do, so what else would she call to say?  She’s not going to screw up something that simple.”

The blonde pouted.  “Are you saying that I would?”

Ranma sighed.  The last thing they needed was an argument to draw attention to them.  “It was a simple snatch and grab.  Too easy for anyone to screw up.” Except maybe you, she thought, unable to avoid the dig in her head.  She pointed to the counter girl with long blue hair.  “I think that’s our youma.”

“Why do you think that?”

“She’s all business, and I mean all business.  The other two have been gossiping, but that one just keeps serving.  She doesn’t talk to the customers beyond getting their orders, and hasn’t even smiled at the few guys who have flirted with her.  She’s a regular ice maiden.”

“Mina wants to go look and see if she can find a back door to that warehouse thingie the shop fronts.”

“Not a bad idea if you ask me.” Ranma said.  “But you’re their leader.  You make the decision,” she said pointedly.  “I’m just your teacher, and I’m strictly backup.”

Luna looked at the red head in surprise and nodded approvingly.  Usagi stared at Ranma wide eyed as well, then nodded and tried to put on a face she no doubt thought showed great resolution.  She wiggled away from the edge backwards, her butt in the air as Ranma tried hard not to laugh.

By the time the shop closed ten minutes later, Mina had indeed found an entrance, and though Ranma thought she had been a bit reckless, she’d snooped inside and found that there were several people in the large freezer, frozen in blocks of ice.

Then the youma found her, and Ranma sighed as she called for help.  “Okay girls, looks like we’re going in the hard way.  When I take down the wall, move in quick.”

Usagi and Ami blinked at the small red-head, but moved quickly when she jumped down and headed to the nearest wall of the shop, her red ki aura flaring as she launched a flying kick at the concrete.  The wall shattered in a hole almost eight feet across as Ranma penetrated, then she skidded on the icy floor inside, taking cover behind a large crate as Sailor Moon and Mercury joined Venus on top of one of the larger racks.

The youma, who Ranma had indeed been right about, looked almost human.  She was dressed in a robe of traditional design, and only the red eyeshadow she wore made her look sinister.  She had shielded her face from the flying debris of the wall as they had come in, and now looked up at the three scouts in annoyance.  “Who are you?”

Sailor Moon struck a pose.  “I am the Pretty Sailorsuited Solider of-”

“Never mind.  Die!” the youma said as she pursed her lips and blew.  The Scouts dodged as a blast of icy cold wind froze the shelf they had been standing on.  They took cover behind another one as the youma continued to blow a freezing blast at them.

“S-so-so c-c-c-c-old!”  Mina stuttered.  “T-t-t-the N-n-n-north P-p-p-ole wa-wa-wasn’t th-this cold!”

Ranma huddled behind her box.  “Mercury!  She’s an Ice Maiden!” she shouted across at the shivering trio.  Ami looked at her and nodded.

Ranma jumped.  “Yo, over here!”  She ducked under the icy blast the youma sent her way, landing on her hands as she kicked the box she had hidden behind with both feet.  It flew at the youma, skidding across the ice, but she blew at it and froze it to the floor.

However, it had bought Ami enough time to step out and call “Shine Aqua Illusion!”

The youma screamed as a column of water formed around her, swirling like a tornado for a second before it froze into solid ice.  Ranma nodded and dusted off her hands as she walked up to the frozen monster.  “Good job.” 

Ami blushed.  “Wow.  I like my new attack.”

Ranma cracked her knuckles and smiled at the youma frozen in the ice.  The monster looked back at her angrily.  She chuckled.  “Ya know, I’m really annoyed at you for messing with the ice cream.  I was really looking forward to it.”

With a loud ‘Kyaa’, she turned and snapped a kick at the ice column, shattering both it and the youma inside.

“Hey!” Sailor Moon called, her scepter in her hand.  “I was going to finish it off!”

Ranma put her face in her palm and shook her head.

* * * * *

They took a minute to make sure the frozen people in the cooler were recovering before they all headed back the dojo to find Lo Shen and Ying-Ying looking over the captured Blackmoon sister.

“So, tell me what you see, Ying-Ying,” Lo Shen asked as Ranma and the remaining girls entered the dojo.

The pink haired ghost nodded and put her hands on the unconscious woman’s temples.  “She has been touched by the hand of one who has corrupted her mind.”  She shuddered.  “He has filled her mind with hate and anger, and suppressed every emotion of kindness and love.”

Lo Shen nodded.  “It’s a nasty spell, and an old one.  Variations of it have been around since the beginning of time, I imagine.  It’s been used countless times by warlords seeking to make the ‘perfect army’, and none of them ever seem to realize that if they repress everything but the negative emotions, they will end up with soldiers who have no loyalty, no camaraderie, and no willingness to serve anyone they see as weaker than themselves.  Their commander must be a fairly powerful individual if they serve him without obvious rebellion.”

Ying-Ying nodded.  “I sense a twisted form of desire within her.  I think whoever commands her has used her sexually, and made her crave him.”

Lo Shen sighed.  “I think I hate those kind worst of all.”

Akane, still in her Sailor outfit, asked “Can you keep her from teleporting away if we wake her to try and get some information?”

Lo Shen chuckled.  “Of course I can, but there’s little need of that.” Her hands sparkled as she placed it on the woman’s forehead.  “Let’s see what kind of memories your pretty little head holds, my dear.”

Long moments passed as Lo Shen concentrated, then she frowned.  “You girls might as well relax.  Whoever did this to her has some skill.  I can break his spells, but it’s going to take the rest of the night and probably tomorrow too.  I’ll call Ke Lun at the club and have her call in the swing shift girls tonight.  If I break through early, I’ll let Akane know and she can call the rest of you.”

Usagi nodded, and wiped the back of her hand across her forehead.  “Thank the gods.  I’m bushed.”  She yawned as she stretched.

Lo Shen laughed.  “Go home and do your homework, princess. If nothing else, I should have her finished by the time you all get here for practice.  I understand you’ve been restricted to gym shorts and halter tops.  I’ll be sure to bring popcorn.”

Usagi blushed as Mina and Makoto burst out laughing again before linking their arms through the chagrined blonde’s, and leading her out.

Ami stayed a moment.  “Lo Shen-sensei?  Do you mind if I stay?  I – I don’t know anything about magic, but I’d like to take readings.”

Lo Shen smiled.  “Don’t know magic, humm.  High time you learned some then.  Why don’t you and Ying-Ying stay with me for a bit, and I’ll give you a lesson.  A scientific mind like yours should find this quite interesting.”  She turned to the trio of girls still left.  “You’ll find Konatsu once again polishing the floors to a high gloss.  Be a dear and send her here too, please.”

Akane tilted her head.  “Okay.  I wouldn’t think she’d be much help though.”

Lo Shen gave a mysterious smile to Ying-Ying.  “I think that pretty little face hides a rather perceptive mind, my dear.  Konatsu may not be terribly bright, but I bet she has incredible intuition.”

Ying-Ying blushed brightly and looked a little worried.  Akane looked back and forth between the two, then shrugged as she turned and left the dojo with Ranma and Shan Pu.

I wonder what that was about.

* * * * *

Ukyo looked out over the cliff and sighed. 

It had been a long day’s ride back to the exterminator’s village, which had been on a direct line to the coast and the road they would have to take to reach the Hasai domain, and she had spent the day mainly musing as she shared Tao-Ching’s back with Nabiki.  She’d wished she could have talked to Rei more, but the decision had been made that between Rei’s senshi powers and Kagura’s abilities, they had made the best combo to provide air cover, since Kirara had to walk tied to Tao-Ching if they didn’t want the smilodon wandering off. 

She couldn’t have said why the dream she’d had while suffering the wasp sting had seemed to break down some sort of barrier in her, yet it had.  She’d reached at least a partial peace with her past life, and while she still wasn’t sure about the concept of becoming a complete lesbian, she had accepted something very important to both Orihime and Ukyo.  She was Zhu Shu’s fiancée.  It didn’t matter if it had been forced upon her by her dad, she had made a choice by forgiving Zhu Shu.  She had accepted Zhu Shu as the girl she was going to marry.  By doing so, she had made a commitment, one that had certain duties and obligations, one of which was to defend her future wife.

She had already accepted the role of Guardian of the Dragon.  She had accepted the moment she had seen Zhu Shu in that mirror in the strange dream world they had shared, and had truly admitted that she had a past life to both the dragon girl and herself. All the dream had done was show her what being the Dragon’s Guardian meant, and showed her that she had never been alone in questioning, and that her life was not an endless repeat.  Her memories of Lady Phoenix had let her know that nothing was ever the same, and that all of their memories of the past were too fragmented to base the present on. 

It was too bad Rei had been so tired after not getting enough sleep last night.  It might have been fun to see where kissing would have led to if they were uninterrupted.  Yes, she still wanted a boyfriend, but considering how open Rei had been about her desires, and her certainty that Zhu Shu wouldn’t mind her and Ukyo playing, she had spent most of the day contemplating the beautiful miko, and if she was ready to take the next step and actually share her body with a girl.  She had tossed it back and forth in her head all day, thinking about her own responses to Rei’s kiss, and most especially to Zhu Shu’s dancing, and had decided the next time she and Rei had an opportunity, she was not going to hesitate. 

And when she had rescued Zhu Shu…

A whisper of noise behind her made her turn, and she found herself looking into two bottomless black eyes.

“Z-Zhu Shu?”

The dragon girl gave a quiet hiss and drew back, and Ukyo noticed that she was on all fours.  She crouched, looking at the chef warily.

Ukyo was very still, realizing that she was in great danger.  She knew from her dreams that something was wrong with the dragon girl, and her current actions were merely confirming it.  Whatever Naraku had done to her, she was little more than a wild animal at the moment.  Whatever had prompted her to leave the castle and find Ukyo, it had not been a conscious thought.

But maybe it had been the still connected link, and maybe that would give her a chance to bring her fiancée back from whatever dark hell Naraku had confined her to.

She made soothing noises as she tried hard to send comforting thoughts through the link.  <<It’s okay, Zhu Shu.  It’s just me.  Just Ukyo.  I’m not a threat, I’m your fiancée.>>

The dragon girl made a half step to the side, and mouthed Ukyo’s name.  She made a questioning noise.  Ukyo raised a hand, palm up, her fingers outstretched.  “It’s me.  Ukyo.  Please.  We’ve been so worried about you,” she said softly.

Zhu Shu leaned towards her hand, sniffing.  As if forced through an immense barrier, she spoke.  “U-Uk…yo?”

Ukyo nodded and made a small beckoning motion.  “Yes.  Ukyo.”  She leaned forwards herself, trying once more to push through the link.  <<Ukyo.  Your fiancée.  You love me…>>

The dragon girl looked puzzled, and took a step closer, her face just inches from Ukyo’s hand as she sniffed.  Ukyo took a chance and reached forward just a little more to gently touch her cheek.  She repressed a small shudder as instead of soft skin, she touched the silky smoothness of tiny scales.  But the dragon girl didn’t withdraw from her touch.  Instead she closed her eyes and made a small noise like a purr.

Emboldened, Ukyo turned the touch into a soft caress, and smiled encouragingly as the dragon girl took another step towards her, allowing her to stroke Zhu Shu’s long ear and making her earring and chains chime softly.  Ukyo looked at them and smiled, remembering their song during Zhu Shu’s Dance of the Veils.

“Uk…yo.” 

“Yes.  Ukyo.  We’ve been looking for you.  We want to help you,” she said gently.  <<Ukyo.  The one you love,>> she thought as she felt the tiniest of flutters at the back of her mind.

The diminutive girl moved closer, nosing along Ukyo’s arm until she was sniffing Ukyo’s breath.  Ukyo swallowed, realizing that even with the fine coating of scales, Zhu Shu’s naked body was still a sculpture of exquisite beauty.  The dragon girl was purring audibly now, her eyes still closed as she smiled, apparently enjoying the caress of Ukyo’s fingers.  Ukyo’s mind went back to the thoughts she had been having just as Zhu Shu had appeared, and she came to a decision.

Ukyo screwed up her nerve and leaned forward just a little, trying to remember how she had kissed Rei yesterday, projecting through the link as hard as she could <<Come back to me, Zhu Shu!>>

As her lips met Zhu Shu’s, something seemed to unlock inside the little dragon girl, and Ukyo’s eyes widened in shock as she felt the link tear open and she found herself washed away in a wave of desire.

<<UKYOUKYOUKYOUKYO>> the link repeated over and over as Ukyo was bowled over, the dragon girl’s strength pinning her to ground effortlessly as she kissed Ukyo ferociously, the power of her chi pouring through Ukyo and making her lose all control of her body.  She lay helpless as the dragon girl shredded her clothes and left her naked, their bodies pressed together as Zhu Shu’s mind poured pure raw lust through the link, and Ukyo realized she was about to be raped, so intense was the dragon girl’s desire.

She sobbed, terrified, but she closed her eyes and thought <<If this is what you need, Zhu Shu, then take me!  Take me and come back to yourself!!>> She swallowed hard.  <<If you need me this badly, I won’t fight you!  Just please, come back to me!>>

She felt the dragon girl stiffen and she opened her eyes to find herself staring into the horrified jade green eyes of Zhu Shu as she heard a strange voice over the link.

<<Controlling you?  T’was it not the darkness in your own soul which corrupted the Shikon shard I gave you?  The anger and despair you hid so deep inside?  I may have used you, but I did not give rise to the lust which made you rape Ukyo.>>

Zhu Shu sobbed, and in a choked voice whispered “What have done?”  Shame made her eyes dark pools of self loathing.  “Oh beloved Ukyo… WHAT HAVE DONE!

She sat up and screamed in utter despair, a long howl of grief and loss, before she hurled herself over the cliff and vanished in the darkness.

And as Ukyo turned to watch her go, sobbing as she reached after the vanished dragongirl, her mind filled with the grief and shame of her soulmate, she felt the link shut down once more…

Onwards to Part 6


Back to Tears of the Dragon, Part 4: Days of Future Past Index - Back to Ranma 1/2 Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction