6th Division: Reminisce (part 6 of 8)

a Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha fanfiction by Satashi

Back to Part 5 Untitled Document

I was really thankful when everything was settled down enough so I could finally do something besides attend meetings with people I didn't even know. The past three days were horrible, being mostly a blur of shaking hands, re-telling my story countless times, and defending Lutecia's actions in front of a court room. Thankfully Fate was with me most of the time and even went on stand once when Lutecia was being pressured with questions she couldn't answer. My sister calmed her down as best she could before asking her own questions gently to her. When done she went with the jury and used her influence to sway them over to her side. Being a criminal at first herself, it was easy for her to convince them that the summoner was more of a hostage situation than her willingly attacking and stealing. The answer was given today, and Hayate was charged with the responsibility of the girl. I was thrilled to hear that, as I knew Hayate was a very caring girl. Although I didn't interact with her much directly she still went out of her way and proposed Lutecia with an offer she couldn't refuse: Help us in the Jail Scaglietti mission and her record would be wiped clean. After that she was free to leave, but if she wanted to, she could stay and be a forward in section six. The look on her face was priceless and I couldn't be happier than I was right now. I had probably changed the girl's life for good, giving her a new opportunity. Now if only I could figure out why my Princess is being so shy around me I would be completely settled back in.

6th Mobile Division VI

By: Satashi

“Okay that's enough for today.” Vita told the group, who all instantly saluted her. “Dismissed.” To her surprise Subaru and Tia scrambled off quickly to the other side of the training field, where Fate and Nanoha were currently fighting. “Oi... if you have enough energy to run I'm obviously not training you hard enough.” She growled lightly to herself. “Anyway, Elio, you did rather well for not going through training for the past month. Did you do anything there?” She already knew he was treated well from the debriefings she had but was still curious about what he actually did there.

“I was locked in a room for most of the time, but Lutecia took me to the work out section a lot so I trained myself physically since my magic was locked.”

Caro looked over at him and dropped her gaze to his chest, where his shirt was clinging to him from the sweat. “Well,” She heard Vita continue. “It appears you shaped up a little. Caro apparently enjoys the new sight.” After hearing her name Caro gasped and tore her eyes away, blushing darkly. “Anyway, welcome back. We missed you.”

“Ma'am!” Elio saluted her crisply before she walked over to go observe her friends in their mock battle. “So,” He turned to look at Caro. “We havn't even been able to talk yet... How are you?”

“F-fine!” Her hands clasped together in front of her, rubbing over themselves nervously. Tia and Subaru both told her that her new feelings were probably a crush on the boy, come to her realization only after not having him nearby for so long. “How are you?”

“Great!” The boy looked around and took a long intake of air. “You have no idea how much I missed everything. Just simply running in the morning and being able to walk around... It's fantastic.” He looked over at her and realized for the first time he had grown a little bit since they had first met. “Hey, when did you get shorter?”

“I didn't get shorter!” She protested. “You got taller!” Caro blinked, realizing that it was true. “...When was it that I looked up at you?” the girl pondered a moment. “I never thought about it since we always stood next to each other.” True, her eyesight was now level with his nose. It wasn't much but still made her happy. “My knight is growing up nicely.”

“You'll still call me that?”

“Only if you want me to?” She looked away. “If you'd rather me not, I'll understand.”

“Why wouldn't I?”

“I saw you... you had Lutecia-chan's armor on.”

“That was an emergency.” reaching out, he put a hand on her shoulder. “Princess... I made an oath to Freidliche to protect you in exchange for the armor... but the reason I made it in the first place was because I wanted to. I'll say it again: I will protect you.”

Caro smiled. “Thank you.” Reaching out, she took his hand and walked with him over to the main base to meet up with her friend. “Lutecia-chan!” She waved with her free hand. “You're able to walk around freely?”

“I have a device on,” she showed her wrist that now had a rather nice looking watch on it. “I can't leave the base yet, but I'm able to go anywhere on it.” When the two got close enough she reached out for Elio's other hand, but paused before taking it.

“Go ahead,” Caro smiled at her. “I won't give up, though.”

“Thank you; neither will I.” Lutecia took the hand and gave Elio a soft look.

The red head blinked, but allowed himself to be lead off by the two girls. “I... don't really get it...Give up at what?”

Both girls looked back at him and laughed. “Nothing,” They both said at the same time, pulling him more and making him stumble to catch up.”So,” Caro began, “You're going to be stationed in my room while you're here, Lutecia-chan?”

On the training field still, Nanoha grunted out when Fate appeared out of no where and slashed her scythe down at her. Bringing up her own, she blocked the attack and stumbled to keep up with the following slashes. The girl's cape flared out around her as she twisted, trying to gain distance again but not being able to. Another few strokes and she found herself pushed against a tree with the pulsating blade of Bardiche itching her neck. “Yeild?” Fate asked, slight amusement in her voice.

“If Yield means the same thing as 'shoot' then yes,” Nanoha nodded down, revealing that in the last flurry she had phase shifted back into her normal form and had a charged attack at the tip of Raising Heart and pointed at her stomach. “Call it a draw?”

“You cheated.”

“Did not!” Nanoha flailed out her arms and went still when Fate pressed Bardiche closer to her. “H-hey!”

“Now I do win!” Fate called out triumphantly.

“... Cheater!

“Girls,” Yuuno sighed out. “The point isn't to see who would win.”

“True,” Fate pulled her weapon back and leaned forward, kissing Nanoha's neck.

Yuuno rolled his eyes. “Anyway, Nanoha, your Phase Shift thing that you do. You seem to be able to do it without loading a cartridge now?”

“Yeah,” Nanoha stretched out to ease her muscles after the intense spar she just had with Fate. “After I finished my training, they observed me when I did it to see if they could teach other people how to do it as well.”

Fate blinked. “How'd that go?”

“Horrible. They couldn't even start to understand how it worked. I can't do the attack Skeith did to drain the information to fuel the change. They did, however, tell me how my magic worked when I shifted, so I got a training exercise there and they got me to a point where I can shift without even trying.”

The male brought his hand to his chin and rubbed it in thought. “You can copy their barrier jacket, weapon, and skills, but not their talent or power.”

“So that is when our arc sabers hit each other's, mine ripped through yours so easily...”

The brown haired girl whined out. “What do you want from me? I can barely use the scythe, let alone your magic!”

“That's why we're training you,” Fate put one of her hands on Nanoha's shoulder. “Don't worry, we'll make sure that you are able to use it to it's full power.”

“Speaking of full power... Have we been able to find Scaglietti's base yet?”

“That's what I wanted to talk to you about,” Yuuno waved out his hands and canceled the simulation. “I have...” His eyes glanced over to Subaru and Tia. “Let's talk about this over lunch okay?”

“Why can't we know!?” Subaru instantly asked before Tia put her hand out in front of her. “Tia!”

“Permission to be briefed?” The gunslinger spoke instead, meeting Fate's eyes.

“I'm sorry,” Fate shook her head. “The only people involved in this mission are Nanoha and myself.”

“What!?” Subaru skated forward around Tia's arm. “Nanoha-san!?”

“Just as she said,” Nanoha stood her ground. “When we get the information, only Fate and I will embark on this mission.”

“WHY!?”

“That's why!” Nanoha shouted back at Subaru as she walked over to her. “You don't talk to your superiors like that, Subaru!” the blue haired girl instantly looked hurt. “Subaru, you are a good girl, a great girl with a kind heart... but you have yet to cross that line. I can't tell you exactly where that line is, or how to do it, but you're still too innocent. I know you're serious about your job, Vita-chan tells me all the time that you are her favorite pupil... But... You still havn't found your switch yet. I am your friend, and I'm glad, but there are times where you must put that behind you and salute. Just as if Fate would give me an order. I would click my heels, stand up straight, salute her, and do exactly as I was told because she's an enforcer and I'm an instructor.”

Subaru looked up at her, eyes confused. “I... I don't' think I understand?”

The blond girl walked over to them and put her hands on Subaru's shoulders. “Subaru, what happened right after the forest battle?”

“I... threw up.”

“And when the confirmed kills came and you heard your number?”

“...I threw up again.”

Fate smiled at her softly. “I didn't. I don't want you to be that hard just yet. You havn't crossed the breaking point of separating war from life, work from fun. Scaglietti has office assistance, and probably two to three hundred staff working under him at his real base. Drones don't think for themselves, Subaru. When we go, we are going for one reason: To kill.”

Nanoha nodded. “Can you honestly hold your glove to someone's throat while they're holding a gun to your stomach and crush it before you die?” The young girl turned and looked away. “War isn't pretty, and trust me, I don't like doing it. But we are going to save countless people's lives by doing this, and if we stop the main person trying to create and control life, we will also stop one of the cruelest human experimentation known to our kind. Because of this, I can fight and kill if I have to. When it is over, I will swallow it down and forget it ever happened so I can go on living a happy life.”

“I understand.” Subaru looked up and brought her hand up to salute them. “Please... Keep training me. One day, I want to be able to help.”

“Yes, soldier.” Nanoha and Fate both saluted her back. “As for you, Tiana,” Fate continued. “If something happens, we need you to be in charge of the forwards in missions while Vita and Signum are out.”

“Yes ma'am!” Tia saluted her solidly.

Yuuno put his hands on the leader's shoulders. “Very well worded, you two.”


“What do we know?” Yuuno leaned over Hayate and looked at her screen. Reaching out, her started typing one handed to bring up a few monitors for his friends and to also dim the lights. Hayate stayed silent, eying the mass of Yuuno's ponytail that seemed to have fallen from his body and landed on her shoulder. “...Hayate?”

“Oh!” She quickly began typing. “Sorry, I was lost in thought for a moment. Let's see... What we have,” the monitors all showed the same picture now, a floating fortress on a chunk of rock that seemed to be drifting in space. “From the information given to us by Elio and Lutecia, this is the main base.”

“Ugh, memories relived...” Fate frowned. “What is it with psychotic people and making fortresses in the middle of a dimensional tear?”

“What do you mean?” Hayate looked over at her friends. “This is the first one I've seen?”

“Someone we used to know did it as well,” Nanoha joined the conversation. “But that's in the past, can we get to this one?”

“Not without a war ship.”

“I've already contacted Chrono,” Yuuno stepped in before anyone could say anything. “He has given us permission to use the Asura since it's still under his command.”

“Wouldn't it be easier just to shoot the canon at it?”

Hayate gave Fate a nervous look. “If we shot the arc inside a dimensional tear then we could possibly create a black hole that would suck us all in and possibly alter the orbit of neighboring planets and destroy an entire solar system.”

Nanoha whistled. “That's bad, right?”

“Shoot first, ask questions later, the motto of the training force.”

“Yuuno-kun!”

“Anyway,” Hayate got serious again before they could argue. “The password Lutecia gave us still works, so we can teleport you directly into the base...”

The room went silent a moment before Fate took a few steps forward. “Why did you say it like that?”

“Because... the field only has access for two entries with the password before it is changed.”

Nanoha gripped her fist. “He knows we're still alive, and he's taunting us again.”

“There's more isn't there?”

Hayate looked down. “We can get you in, but we can't get you out. We would have to send Yuuno or Shamal in as well to teleport you back from there.”

“What about Arf? She's technically part of me, would that still count as an entry into the field?”

“Familiars are still life forms, only two can go in.”

“So what are our options?” Nanoha rubbed the bridge of her nose. “Obviously Fate and I have to go, and neither one of us can use long range teleportation, only battle warping.”

“Actually,” Yuuno chimed in. “Unlike a magical barrier, this field only prevents scanners, radars, and teleporting in. It's not meant to trap inside, so if you use cartridges to boost your power, you can get to the Asura from inside the field.”

“Then why can't you just port us out from inside?”

“Hellooooo,” Yuuno tapped Nanoha's head. “I just said it blocks scans. We can't get a fix on your location, but you can get a fix on ours.”

Fate nodded to herself. “You can't teleport something you don't know where is. If we could, things would be a whole lot simpler.”

“The point,” Hayate got back on track. “Is this would be a suicide mission...”

“If we only need to boost our power to escape, I think we can do it. Right, Fate?”

“Yeah,” She nodded to herself. “It's the same as a battle warp... picture where you want to go and teleport using your magic. If we use our cartridges then we can temporarily boost our distance...We can do it.”

The commander looked down sadly. “It's still... Two against an entire army. Even if they are scientist, none of them will hesitate to kill you.”

“What...” Nanoha walked over to her to see her monitor. “Is the success rate of this mission?”

“From all the other battles again him, this being on his home turf, him knowing you're coming...I'd say... Two percent... Max.” The words were so soft they could barely be heard.

Fate closed her eyes. “How long do we have?”

The male of the group gave Nanoha a hug when she walked over to him. “He won't keep the invitation up for long...If we take this chance...we need to leave for the Asura tonight.”


“Nanoha!” Kuhn greeted the girl when she walked into the bar. “What's shaking hot legs?” The girl walked up to him and saluted, making Kuhn instantly get serious. “What is it?”

“I'm... going on a mission tonight. If I don't come back in a few days...Will you give this to my family?” She sat an envelope on the bar.

“...Video letter?”

“Yes.”

“Is it that dangerous?”

“There is a ninety eight percent chance we'll both die.”

“...I promise.” He took the envelope and leaned over the bar to hug her. “But I won't have to. You'll come back like always. When you do, I'll treat you and your entire squad to an entire night.”

“Thank you.” She hugged him back tightly. “I'll be looking forward to it.”


Signum looked up as Fate passed by in front of her. “I heard,” She spoke softly, catching the blond's attention. “About the mission.”

“Signum...” Fate looked at her fully. “So you know that...”

“You better not die, Fate.” The pink haired girl pushed off the wall she was leaning on and walked over to her. “I won't forgive my rival if she makes a stupid mistake.”

“...Okay...” Fate blushed darkly when she found herself being embraced. “S-Signum?”

“Be careful,” She whispered into her hair. “I've never been more proud of you, for everything you've done and gone through recently. I know you'll come out of this alive, so don't disappoint me okay?”

“...Yes.” Looking up, her cheeks got redder when the older woman kissed her forehead. “You havn't done that since I was fourteen.”

“Consider it a good luck charm then.”

Fate nodded happily. “Okay!”


“Is it really that bad?” Caro asked softly as Nanoha unlocked a cabinet in her apartment that the younger one had never seen before. “Everyone is really tense.”

“Don't worry,” Nanoha spoke more to herself. “Everything will be fine.” Reaching in, she pulled out automatic cartridge reloads by the handful and started placing the clips in special slots on her barrier jacket.

Subaru's eyes went wide after the fifth clip was secured and held her breath when the girl didn't stop there, grabbing different types of gun devices and clicking them around her. “Nanoha-san... You know how to use all those?”

“Yes,” Her voice was still distant. “I can teach anyone anything... Using these is no problem. If I put too much stress on Raising Heart, it won't be good for her so I keep these in case I need them.”

Tia looked away and gripped her fist tightly. “Is there... nothing we can do?”

“Smile.” Nanoha moved to the other side and removed several magnum clips and tossing them to Fate. Finally she reached up at the very top and opened a small box marked 'SSS+' and removed the single magnum bullet and automatic cartridge. Raising Heart was shifted to reveal the single emergency load bay and she slid the bullet into it, twisting the staff back around and jamming her full clip into it.

“Mommy... You'll come back won't you?”

Nanoha stopped moving, taking a small moment to reflect on the question. “Of course,” She replied shortly. “Don't say silly things, this is easy for me!” Kneeling down she gave the girl a tight hug. “Mommy will be back tomorrow morning in time for breakfast. I promise.” Looking across the room, she saw Fate holding Elio tightly against her body. “So just wait for us... We'll come back.” She felt Subaru kneel down as well and wrap Nanoha in a hug also.

“I don't know,” The blue haired girl began, whispering into Nanoha's ear so Caro wouldn't hear it. “The details but... You honestly have all my faith.”

“Thank you, Subaru.” Nanoha closed her eyes tightly to prevent a tear from escaping. “Thank you.”


“Are you ready?” Yuuno asked as the girls stood on the transporting section along with him and Hayate.

“Nanoha!” A new voice screamed, making them all turn to see Vita running as fast as she could over to them.

“Vita-chan!” Nanoha stepped forward to meet her. “You are supposed to be on the other side of the planet right now!”

The small girl panted heavily, sweat drenching her clothes. “I found out,” She manged between gasp. “I came... as fast as... I could...”

Nanoha smiled down at her. “Thank you, Vita-chan.”

Vita looked up at her, eyes already moist. “I know everything, so...” She wiper her eyes furiously. “I'll save everything until you get back, you hear me? So...so.. come back!”

“I will,” The girl looked happy to hear that from Vita. “I promise.”

“...Aren't you going to do it?”

“Do what?”

“You know what!”

“But you don't like that.”

Vita glared up at her. “You know I do!”

“But you always say...”

“Pet my head, or I'll hit you!” Vita yelled up at her, instantly getting Nanoha's palm on the top of her. Her hair was ruffled a moment before Nanoha leaned over and kissed her forehead.

“I'll let you yell at me later,” Nanoha whispered to her before standing and walking back over to the group. “I'm ready, I've taken care of the last thing I wanted to do.”

“Then let's go.” Yuuno saluted everyone standing around and allowed the girls to see their friends a little while longer before spreading out his hands and teleporting them all away.

When Nanoha could see again she was on the bridge of a very familiar warship. Chrono stood several paces away from her in his full admiral gear. “Welcome,” He saluted the group. “To the Asura.”

“Admiral,” Nanoha saluted him. “Thank you for your kindness in letting us borrow the ship.”

The group looked at each other before the older man simply smiled at them. “This brings back memories.”

“It does, oni-chan.” The group walked over to him and Fate gave the man a hug. “When this is over, let's talk about some of them, okay?”

“Of course.” Chrono nodded. “Are you two fully prepared?”

“Yes,” Nanoha nodded.

“A.A.M.F?”

“Five each,” Fate agreed. “One on each wrist, ankle and a necklace.”

“Cartridges, weapons?”

“Check and double check.” Nanoha nodded at him. “Raising Heart is packed to the brim.”

“Bardiche is ready and steady.”

“I want to delay this as much as possible but there's a chance that Scaglietti knows we're here...”

Fate seemed to understand. “Okay, I don't want to risk the lives of everyone here. We'll leave immediately.” To her surprise Chrono grabbed her into a hug. “Thank you. We'll be fine.”

“You're going against an army,” He whispered. “Please, let me find another way to-”

“We can't,” She replied just as softly. “Two soldiers can do more damage than a battalion sometimes.”

“You're my sister, not just a soldier.”

“I know,” Slowly she pulled away from him and kissed his cheek. “And as a person I want to do this to save the lives of countless people who would perish in a full scale attack.”

“You've grown up so much. I'm proud.”

“Thank you.”

“I'm proud too,” A new voice spoke up, making Fate turn.

“Mom!?” Quickly she ran over to Lindy and gave her a fierce hug. “It's been ages!”

“I know, I'm so sorry.” Lindy gripped her more. “I'm thinking of moving back to Midchilda soon, so you have to help me pack okay?”

“Yes!” Fate gave her another squeeze before pulling back and seeing her familiar as well. “ARF!”

The small child leapt into her arms and clung to the woman. “Fate, I've missed you!”

“I missed you too!” She gave the girl another hug before setting her down. “I'm glad you came, I feel so much better now that I've seen you again.”

“Fate, be careful in there okay?”

“Of course.” The blond stood up fully. “Nanoha, let's go. I want to get back as soon as I can so I can spend some time with everyone okay?”

“Sounds tasty.” The White Devil formed her staff and began to walk to the teleport area, meeting everyone's eyes as she passed. “We'll be back in a few hours.”

The Terror of Death nodded at everyone, forming her scythe as she passed. “Ah. So don't worry.” The girls looked at Yuuno and met his eyes. Slowly the male turned and typed on the keyboard before nodding at them and slowly pressing the confirm button. The next moment, the girls were gone.

Hayate fell to her knees. “I could have very well just sent them to their death...”


Fate instantly looked around the moment she felt herself phase back together. As she had expected, several armed people were waiting on them. Before they could register the intruders she dashed forward and cleaved her scythe, flooring them. Three people remained on the other side of the hallway but they too fell, this time by Nanoha's silent magical bullets fired from a hand gun. Two people rounded a corner on patrol but a quick reflex from Nanoha made them both fall down before either could full recognize the girls as their targets. The blond looked over at her partner and watched her sheath the shotgun type device back onto her back. 'The White Devil, master of multiple weapons,' She recalled, a little pleased at the talent she had. “Can you hear me?” Fate asked mentally as they ran down the hallway together.

Yes,” Nanoha pressed her back against a wall. “Do you think they know we're here?” Carefully she peeked around the corner and shot two more armored soldiers patrolling the hallway.

If he can tell how many people teleport in, then he knows we're here.” Fate followed her, scanning the area with her eyes and waving her hand out when she saw a man in a white coat walk pass the hallway in front of them. A yellow dagger of magical energy formed at her command and flew silently through the air, hitting the man with an electric shock and making him pass out. “Let's find out where Scaglietti is and take him down fast. I want to avoid killing as much as possible.” She felt her partner agree and together they turned another corner. In front of them stood several armed men, holding different types of guns pointed at them. Before even Fate could react to the situation, Nanoha was already reaching into her cape. She pulled out a small ball of pink energy and threw it towards the group. Her other hand grabbed Fate and pulled her to the ground. A few blast of something shot over their heads but it was cut off by a soft sound and a sudden blast of wind. When Fate looked up again she saw the people laying on the ground, not moving. “What the hell was that!?

A type of magical burst.

Are they-”

Yes.

Fate nodded at her and left it there, running over the people and down another hallway before pulling back and this time grabbing Nanoha from the blast of fire that blared out around them. The soldiers screamed their position and kept shooting as they advanced. “Well,” Fate spoke verbally. “They definitely know where we are now.” She looked down at Bardiche and loaded a shell before jumping into the hallway. “Plasma smasher!” With a slash, she sent the blade of her weapon flying at them and smirked at their terrified expressions when their projectiles bounced off her shield. The next moment an explosion shook the area and the screams rang out as Nanoha rolled out next to her and shot several times while Fate Guarded her with her barrier. “Its been ages since we've been completely un-restricted. I almost forgot the power we have.”

“Kind of scary, isn't it?” She ran again, slightly behind Fate. “I felt those bullets. Whatever they are using, it has the power of double A magic blast. I'd hate to think what would happen if a standard mage came here...” Shaking the thought off, they continued. “We are going to go no where without a plan, what should we do?” Her eyes looked around a moment before reaching into her cloak and running ahead of Fate. The hallway split into a four way intersection and she stopped in the middle of it. Both hands came from her cloak and dual guns were produced, firing several different types of bullets into each direction. By the time Fate caught up with her the invading people on both sides were already on the ground. “Let's go,” Nanoha didn't look back. The end of the hallway revealed an elevator. “Pick a floor, any floor.”

Fate turned around and watched their back, sending more yellow flying daggers at people chasing them. “Hell if I know!? Twenty-six!?” She heard Nanoha punch the panel and when the sound chimed to announce the arrival of the transporter they both kept into it. “Five dollars says this thing is booby trapped and we're going to fall.” The two held their breath as the floors ticked off on the top of the door. Nodding at each other, Fate kneeled down and held out her hands, forming several layers of shields in front of them. Nanoha braced herself by placing one foot against the wall behind her and kneeling slightly. Raising Heart was called forward and shifted into shooting mode before charging. The final floor dinged and the doors opened. Bullets rained on them in masses, shattering the first three layers of the shield no sooner than they started. Fate heard Nanoha yell out her Divine buster and felt it rip over her head into the hallway. Several screams rang out but were cut off within seconds and the rest were drowned out by the explosion across the room. “Some are still alive!”

Nanoha and Fate dived out of the elevator and rolled on the ground. The blue eyed girl loaded several cartridges into her device and shot a barrage of seeking bullets, controlling them with her fingers. Once they met their targets and the blast confirmed their death she stood up. “We're on the right track, these have shields that two shells barely broke through!”

“Che,” Fate growled but ran along side Nanoha anyway. “How many people can possibly be here!?”

“The universe is a large place,” the other replied easily. “Rounding up several hundred people on a single planet is child's play...When you search countless civilizations, I'm sure you can scrounge up quite a few nut-cases more than willing to help out.” When more people came into her view she reached back behind herself and pulled her shotgun type device, shooting it twice to no effect. “Damn it!” She felt Fate grab her and pull to the side. The two hid behind a large pillar, seeing chunks of it getting blasted off by the ranged weaponry they were against. Concentrating again, Nanoha loaded three cartridges and formed a large ball of energy before shaping it into a half-sphere. “This will hold them off for ten seconds only.”

“It's enough.” Fate took it and concentrated, melding it to her own magic. After taking a breath she turned around and flew forward with her scythe reared back behind her. Her eyes went wide as the attacks fizzled out on the shield and felt like she was moving in slow motion on her way over to them. When she got close enough several shells fired out of her device and she slashed. Turning around, she brought her device up and quickly turned so she wouldn't see the man's face as he died. Spinning once more, her device fired out more shells to break through the shields put up. Once done she took a slow breath and allowed pink blast of energy to fly around her, taking care of the one she missed. “Bardiche, reload.” She heard her empty shells clatter on the floor and slammed another set into it. Nanoha reloaded her staff as well before catching up to Fate. “You said ten seconds...”

“I'm sorry,” The girl looked down at Fate's arm, frowning at the thick trail of blood. “I had no idea they would be that strong...There has to be type of boosting device in the building to prevent intruders.”

Fate nodded and stood up. “Let's not stand still.” Once they were running again, her eyes scanned the area. “We're constantly in an anti-magic field. Our shields and projectiles are no longer part of our body so they get weaker the farther they get from our A.A.M.F devices.”

“Just great,” Nanoha growled. “I'm going to concentrate more on shielding us, can you handle the attacks?”

“Cover me when you can, but make sure you're shielded before firing.” Fate darted forward, flying while laying down only a few inches from the floor. The people ahead of her turned and readied their weapons to shoot but found themselves tripped up before having yellow daggers thrust into them. The girl righted herself and stood in front of a door. “Feel that?”

“There is a mage behind that door.” Nanoha nodded at Fate and brought out another one of her devices, blasting the door several times and making it sail into the room quickly. The twisted piece of metal clanged loudly as the two leapt through the smoking area where the obstacle used to be.

Zest stood in the middle of the room, looking at them curiously. “The door wasn't locked.”

Nanoha blushed darkly but Fate came to her rescue. “We don't have time to worry with minor details.” She pointed her weapon at him. “Tell us where Scaglietti is or we'll use force.”

“He's above us,” Zest nodded upward and watched Nanoha look while Fate guarded her. “At the top of the ceiling there is a hatch that can only open two ways. He is behind there.”

“How is it opened?” Nanoha looked back over at him as Zest dropped into a fighting stance, throwing off his cloak to reveal a muscular body. “I see.” Nanoha called forth Raising Heart and pointed it at him as she circled the room. “Fate, be careful. He's strong enough to subdue Freidliche and easily take on two B ranked mages.

“Two ways?” Fate wondered aloud. “Assuming one is by you and the other is by Scaglietti?”

“By my death, or by Scaglietti,” He corrected her. “Before we begin, I have a question for you, since I answered yours.” After getting a curt nod from Fate he continued. “Is Lutecia safe?”

“She's fine,” Nanoha informed honestly. “We're treating her like a little girl should be treated and after we kill Scaglietti, her record will be clean and she will be free to live out her life.”

“I see. Then I am pleased.” Zest dropped into a fighting stance. “Although I'm afraid I can't let you continue. You see, I need Scaglietti to stay alive so I can continue to use him for my own purposes. I'm sure you want to end this quickly so I'll go all out from the start.” The man took a short knife from his boot and brought it up slowly, slicing his arm. Once the blood started to flow he called it up and formed it into a ball of energy. “As you may have guessed, this room is an exception to the anti magic field that worries you girls so much.”

Fate gripped Bardiche tightly, slowly leaning forward. Zest looked at her but moved his hand out to his side so it was pointing at Nanoha. The blast fired and Fate darted forward. Her scythe was grabbed by Zest's free hand and the blood quickly formed into a ball of power, shooting her point blank and sending her soaring across the large room and crashing into a wall. Coughing, she fell forward and took a ragged intake of air. Small chunks of the room fell around her and after glancing at the area behind the girl, realized that she had almost gone through whatever material it was. Her red eyes turned to scan for Nanoha and found her still pushing herself up as well, crawling from a long trench her body had just dug into the floor. “Bardiche,” She spoke quietly. “Let's finish this quickly.” She was confirmed and four shells shot out of her device. With a yell, the Terror of Death ran forward with her broadsword Zamber. More blood was channeled but Bardiche loaded the remaining cartridges and clashed against the force opposing him.

Nanoha reached into her cloak and pulled out her last ball of compressed energy, tossing it underhanded toward the pair. Fate read the move exactly and countered her force to flip herself up into the air. Nanoha pulled Raising Heart back and started charging her blast to prepare the counter measure. Her small ball of magic caught Zest's attention as it clattered to the floor by his feet. The shock wave ripped around them as the ground caved, showing the floor beneath them that was also blown away since the AMF wasn't active in the area. As expected Zest flew up into the air to avoid the blunt of the attack, but instead of looking more dead than alive he only seemed infuriated from the attack. All the blood coming from his wounds channeled up in front of him as he came closer towards Fate. “Shoot!” Nanoha screamed out, finally releasing her attack.

Fate flicked Bardiche's chamber out and moved to slam her reload in but some of Zest's attack still cut through Nanoha's blast that separated them. With a loud crash, the blond hit the ground and struggled to right herself while reaching into her cloak and pulling out another reload to replace the one that was just lost. Putting it in, she locked Bardiche back into place. The next moment she found herself suddenly behind Nanoha and screaming as an attack unseen ripped through her body. Falling forward, she allowed her partner to catch her and panted out heavily; having just been blasted clear across the room. “I forgot...” She whispered through the pain. “The more we hurt a blood magic user...”

“The stronger they become...” Nanoha finished for her, slowly laying Fate onto the ground. Before she could turn around she felt the familiar itch on the back of her neck once again. A shield was put up quickly but the attack still slammed into her, forcing her to hunch over Fate to protect the girl from the attack.

“Nanoha!” Fate caught her as she fell and gasped out at the burned red back visible through the ripped barrier jacket. “You bastard!” She glared over at the man who was weakly pushing himself up, bleeding drastically from most of his body. “If this keeps on we won't even face Scaglietti, much less kill him...” Fate held out Bardiche and glared. “Load full! Plasma Zamber Breaker!” She raised up her sword with one hand shaking. “Full power!” With those words she let it fall forward, blasting the energy into the man who brought up a glowing red shield. “Bardiche...” She whispered, bringing her other arm around Nanoha and holding the sword steady. “... Please!”

“Yes sir.”

Fate felt herself push back into the wall by the new force, finally breaking through the shield opposing her and ripping into the man's body. The blast made the area around them explode and cave in, destroying several floors and breaking out into space. “Emergency,” A female's voice came through hidden speakers. “Area breech, deploying Foam.” As stated, what appeared to be a type of foam sprayed through the areas and flew towards the suction leading out into space before solidifying and making a sickening splat sound when it hit the hole. Several layers piled up and Fate's hair fell back down when the suction was lost. Once done she dropped her sword and laid back weakly, leaving one hand over Nanoha's waist as she rested against her still.

“Ow...” Nanoha finally spoke after a minute. “Is it over?”

“He's dead.” Fate told her weakly. “I used my SSS shell... If he survived that there would be no way to take him out...”

“I hate...” Nanoha slowly pulled off of Fate and sat down next to her. “Blood mages...” Slowly she rotated her shoulder. “How are you?”

“Exhausted,” Fate answered honestly. “We've been using so many cartridges... it's taking it's toll on our bodies.”

“Yeah.” Nanoha panted. “Scaglietti knew we would...I bet you anything he set it up so we would tire ourselves out on pointless skirmishes to lower our guard when we fought a real opponent... And you know what? I bet the elevator we were on would have taken us here no matter what number we pushed in...and it worked. Dammit.”

Fate looked up at the ceiling above them and to the hatch. “If we're this tired after the pre-battle...”

Nanoha looked down. “We'll make it out. We'll steal a stupid shuttle if we have to. Take someone hostage and make them lead us.”

“Good plan.” Fate stood up, ignoring the alarm still sounding from where she blew up the immediate area. “What's your ammo situation, multi-weapon?”

“I hate that nickname, you know that.” Despite her protest she stood up as well and started taking inventory. “I have...A full clip, three left inside Raising Heart, my SSS+ shell, um, two shots left on my left pistol, three on my right... and one blast left on my shotgun.”

“No more grenade thingies?”

“They're distortion bombs, and no. How are you, Scythe Master?”

Fate couldn't help but smile lightly at their own stupid nicknames for each other. “Lessee...” Reaching into her pockets she pulled out a reload and filled Bardiche. “I wasted an entire load like a moron...”

“You were protecting me...Thank you.”

She grinned lightly. “Thank me when we're out of here... Son of a... I only have three cartridges left, not counting what's in Bardiche.” Looking up, she frowned. “What do you think our chances of beating him are?”

“Oh he's going to be beaten,” Nanoha assured her. “It's just a matter of us getting out alive when he blows this place up.”

“What do you mean?”

“He's going to self destruct the base when he loses.”

“Why in the name of all that's good and holy would he have rigged his entire base with explosives to detonate when he dies?”

“Because that's what mad scientist do?” She offered weakly, getting a sigh. “I'm telling you, he's going to self destruct!”

“Nanoha, I love you, but that is completely illogical. Stop reading those stupid science fiction books.” Fate looked over her fiancée to inspect her back. “Does this hurt?”

“Yes, very badly.” Nanoha smiled over at her. “Feels like I decided to iron my shirt with it still on.”

“Thank you,” Fate leaned over and kissed the base of her neck. “I would have died if not for you.”

“Hey, what can I say?” The two smiled at each other before suddenly losing their false happiness. “We should get this over with, huh?”

“Yes.” They flew upwards slowly and touched the hatch, letting it open up in two parts, sliding away. “Go in fast and together.” She got a nod and the two hugged each other, flying up as quickly as they could. Just as the blond predicted, the hatch slammed shut and locked, hissing out.

“Well, well, well...” a voice came up as the girls inspected the room they were in. “I was wondering how long it would take you to get here. I must say, I'm impressed. You didn't use nearly as many cartridges as I thought you would. Tell me, did the book worm counter my AMF device?”

“Gee I wonder?” Fate snipped at Jail Scaglietti, igniting Bardiche. “No, of course not! Whatever gave you that idea?”

Jail gave her an amused smirk before stumbling backwards when a large blast of energy shot into his face. The next moment he glared and knocked Nanoha's shotgun away when it was thrown at him. Once the item was out of his way he saw Nanoha in front of him, slashing her sword down where he was just standing. Using his arm he blocked her countless times before gripping the created blade and closing his fist, snapping it. Not one to give up, Nanoha simply twirled around, changing her form to match Fate's and slashing her new scythe out. The move worked and Jail lunged backwards, looking at his cut shirt. “Now that wasn't very nice,” He mused playfully. Fate snarled, running at the man and slinging her scythe, shooting out two shells as she did so. Jail's face set, glaring at her but only managing to slow her movements a little and not bind her like he had done before. Taken off guard, he turned to the side and leapt back, moving his hands up and concentrating harder. The blond lifted into the air and flew across the room, crashing against a desk. “You think you can win?” He laughed out again, grabbing Nanoha's scythe and turning around, slinging her into the opposite wall. “I havn't been sitting here doing nothing, you know.”

Walking down to the center of the large circular room, he looked at his opponents. “You see girls,” He continued. “I have finally managed to get a hold of a few things. I do believe you know what they are; Jewel Seeds as you called them.” Taking off his lab coat he revealed that the skin color of both his arms didn't match that of his body. Around his shoulders, a few blue gems were embedded into his skin as if they were joining the arms onto him. “It was quite painful, but I managed to be able to harness their power and convert it to my telekineses. I lost my other arm in the process, but having already rebuilt one before, it was simple to do it again.”

“Have I ever told you...” Fate picked herself up and loaded a cartridge just to restore some of her magical power. “That you're a sick individual?”

“I'll take that as a compliment,” He looked over at Nanoha, who was suddenly hunched over. “Are you done already?”

“Jewel...Seeds...” Her breathing picked up, shoulders heaving. “You...Created... More... Jewel Seeds!?”

Jail looked at her with an amused smirk. “Why yes I did, five to be exact.”

Fate yelled out and ran forward, loading another two shells to re-form her Zamber saber. Slashing down, her heart stopped beating for a moment when the man simply caught the blade in between his hands. “... Impossible...” Jail slung her against the wall with another mental blast before tossing Bardiche across the room. “To be honest, I have let you two survive up until now for one reason... To convert you both into Seeds and use your power to better myself! The ultimate fusion of technology and magic!”

“You...You...” Nanoha stood up, a light black mist coming from her clothing. “Just for your own gain...” Looking up, she blurred over to him and punched his stomach before he could react. Her other fist reared back and slung at his head, but only cut through air. Jail appeared behind her, grabbing her wrist and brining it behind her back. “Aggghnn!” She bit back her yell as her shoulder popped loudly out of joint. Forcing herself to stay perfectly still, she closed her eyes and trusted her gut feeling. Seconds later Jail leapt backwards when several yellow energy daggers embedded the area around them.

Fate appeared next to her seconds later. “You okay?” She looked at Nanoha's shoulder and frowned. “Dislocated?” This time Nanoha nodded and let Fate touch her a moment before gripping her and sharply popping it back in.

“Son of a-!!!” Nanoha rubbed her shoulder ruefully but quickly gripped Raising heart again and loaded cartridges. “Accel shot!”

Jail held out his hands and curved the blast upwards, blasting a chunk of the ceiling out but leaving him unhurt. “You are only delaying the inevitable,” He taunted before having a small melee fight with Fate. “I like your new hair style,” He cooed, receiving a sharp punch to the face but recovered by slamming his fist into her stomach before lifting her into the air with his mind and slamming her back into the ground. “Jewel Seed number Six...Fate Harlaown. Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?”

Nanoha's eyes dilated, heartbeat thundering in her ears. “I will help you,” A soft voice spoke deep within her.

The man lifted Fate back into the air and looked at her weak body. “But it would be a shame to waste such beauty. Perhaps I should just make you my assistant...?”

Swallowing, Nanoha flexed the fingers on her right hand. “Let her go...” She whispered out softly but knew Jail still heard her. “Don't touch... my fiancée..”

“Why is that?” He asked her, punching Fate when she tried to call Bardiche to her hands. “Once she's broken she'll be a wonderful slave. I'll even give her your jewel seed and use her to fight for me.”

“You...” Nanoha closed her eyes, mist circling her body. “Will not... touch her...”

“I already am.” To prove his point he wrapped an arm around Fate's waist and grinned at her weak attempt to struggle away from him.

Call me! I will find you!”

“Unhand her!” Nanoha threw out her arm, the sound of a tuning fork echoing around her.

I'll find you! Call me! Guide me to you!

Jail lifted up Fate's head and turned it to himself. “Come on...” Nanoha whispered. “Come on... Find me... find me!” She looked up slowly, eyes flecking yellow. Once she met his eyes he turned to Fate and smirked. “Come on...come on!” The mist around her body started clinging to her, altering her barrier jacket to deep black and yellow. “I'm...” Jail looked at her and smirked, bringing his lips closer to Fate's. “Right...” He kissed her. “HERE!

I have found you!

Nanoha's eyes snapped open wide, glowing yellow. Black liquid flashed around her body, forming a new jacket complete with gold spikes. Crawling up her neck, the ooze covered her mouth and nose as two bat wings ripped from her back. “Skeeeeeeiiiitttth!”

Jail flew across the room, slamming into the wall and continuing through it. After the shock he looked forward to see a girl he's never seen before reach out and grab his neck. Glaring, he sent a physic blast at her that she ignored as if it never happened. With a small flick of her wrist he found himself flying again, back through the wall he just came through and sliding on the floor of his main office. “What is this!?” turning, he saw a blur of black before he felt his back rip in pain. Quickly turning he saw Skeith standing with blood on her hands, slowly bringing one up to her mouth and licking it off.

“Taste like... fear.” She smiled at him sickingly, darting forward and easily countering his mind blast. “Scaglietti, I have waited years for this.” She smiled when his face went pale and followed his eyes down to his stomach where her hands were slowly cutting into his skin. “Try... Try and stop me...” She walked forward, holding him in the air by his neck and pressing her hand deeper into him. “Yes... That's right...I see it on your face...Fear...” Licking her lips, she pressed him against the wall. “Your sick games end here.”

“Nanoha!?” Fate coughed, forcing herself to stand.

“Kind of,” She threw Jail onto the floor and watched him slide across it, leaving a trail of blood. “Are you okay, Fate-san?”

“...Skeith...”

“Yes,” Walking over to her, she observed Fate's condition. “Are you hurt anywhere bad?”

“Where is Nanoha!?”

Skeith looked at her, a little hurt. “She's right here,” bringing one clawed finger up, she tapped her head. “Guiding me. She woke me up, so I am here to serve her.” Before she could get a response she suddenly fell forward. The ball of energy that had hit her exploded, slinging both girls away from each other. “Raising Heart!” She called the staff over to her and concentrated.

“Yes, my master.”

Grinning, she loaded the shells in her clip and pointed, destroying the whitish haze of physic energy tossed at her. Once clear, she removed the clip and tossed it, twisting the staff around to the reserve section. “Load Triple S!”

“Your magic can not stop me!” Jail screamed at her, furious. “I'll kill you both and turn you into programs!”

“I am not a program,” Skeith growled as she clapped her hands together and formed a ball of yellow energy, Raising Heart floating above her and sending it's power into the blast. “I am a human being!” Once all of her power was siphoned into the attack she ran forward and threw it. Fate cried out as Jail launched his attack as well. The resounding explosion made her roll across the ground several times before she could grab a hold of Bardiche and bring it up, loading a cartridge to form a shield around herself. When the area calmed down She opened her eyes slowly, watching Skeith limp over to Jail's body and reach down to pick him up. “You,” Skeith began, “Are finished, Scaglietti.”

Weakly reaching up, he gripped Skeith's wrist. “What, are you going to kill me? Kill me!? The greatest mind ever!?”

Skeith frowned at him, tightening her hold around his neck before letting him drop to the ground. “No... You are under arrest. I don't want to kill anyone again if I don't have to.” Turning, she walked over to Fate.

“Skeith! Behind!” Fate pointed at Jail, making the other girl turn around as fast as she could.

“You should have ended it!” Jail yelled at her, lunging forward with a ball of power in his hand.

“You fool!” Skeith flared her magic around herself, knocking his blast astray and forming her own. With a glare she thrust it forward against his chest.

“I backed my self up,” Jail told her with a sick smile. “Someone will re-incarnate me, with the ultimate body! I will return!”

“When you do,” Skeith told him, mask sinking back down her neck and revealing slate blue eyes. Nanoha smirked as the blast started to expand. “Give my regard to my daughter.”

Fate watched Nanoha fly back from the force of her own attack, which destroyed most everything in front of her. Acting quickly, she managed to leap in front of her and catch her fiancée before she hit the ground. “Nanoha!?”

“Yes...” She looked at the area in front of her, which was quickly being covered in the protective foam. “Is it over...?”

“You blasted him out into space... Nothing can survive that.”

Nanoha fell against her weakly, barrier jacket reverting back into it's white self. “Thank you... Aura...”

“Is... Is she okay too?”

“Sleeping...I used too much of her power...” Nanoha looked positively exhausted. “I... don't think I can move.”

“Me either...” Fate chuckled to herself. “I need a few minutes...”

A female voice came to their ears as red lights started flashing. “Self destruct sequence activated. T-minus Two minutes until detonation.”

“You're kidding me!?” The blond screamed, looking around frantically. “ What kind of sick minded... UGH!”

“I'm out of cartridges...” Nanoha looked over at Fate, scared.

“Bardiche!” The barrel of the staff opened up, revealing a single shell. “... One left.” The two looked at each other slowly.

“Can we... teleport with only one?” Her voice was soft, worried.

Fate licked her lips slowly, looking around as the area they were in started shaking. “I...” A sudden explosion made them fall over onto the floor. The woman's voice declared that there was only one minute left until complete detonation. “Nanoha,” Fate looked down at her and smiled softly. “Of course we can, can't we Bardiche?”

“Yes sir!”

“Oh thank Goodness...” Nanoha gave Fate a loving look. “When we get back, I'm going to cook you the biggest steak you've ever seen!”

“Sounds tasty.” Fate put one hand on Nanoha's shoulder as another explosion shook them. “I just want to say, Nanoha, that I love you very much... Just wanted to say that.”

“I love you too,” She smiled. “Let's say it more once we're back on the Asura, I don't want to stay here any longer than we have to.”

“Right.” Fate closed her eyes. “Bardiche, load cartridge!” She felt a tear roll down her cheek as her magic circle appeared under her. “I love you, Nanoha. Always and Forever.” She didn't have to look at her to feel Nanoha's sincere smile. “Teleport!” A flash of light engulfed them momentarily but faded just as fast as it was created. Fate slowly lowered her device and opened her eyes, looking at the spot her lover just was. “I'm sorry for making you lie, Bardiche.”

“Don't mind.”

Fate felt the tears come to her eyes. The floor gave out from underneath her, making the girl shakily try to keep herself from falling too fast. The room where they fought Zest was passed through and Fate found herself falling through the hole in the floor where Nanoha's bomb blasted. Finally she hit the ground and was shaken again by fire raining around her as bombs detonated. “Nanoha... Live a great life...” Her body was thrown to the side and onto the floor, where she pushed herself up and looked around. “I love you... I love you...” The words made her smile. “I love you, Nanoha.” Looking to the side, she saw something sparkle brightly in the light of the fire before an explosion ripped around her.


Nanoha gasped out when the cool air of the Asura washed over her. Instantly everyone screamed her name and she couldn't help but laugh out happily. “We did it! We did it Fate!” Turning to smile at her lover, she suddenly paused. “Fate... Fate!?” The girl stood up, turning circles. “Fate!? Where's Fate!? Yuuno where's Fate!?”

Yuuno looked at her a moment, trying to figure out what was going on. “Nanoha... Only one person teleported here...”

“No... No!!!” The girl ran to the screen in the middle of the bridge, looking at the fortress. “She didn't... She didn't!” A bright flash flared around the fortress before shattering into piecies, cutting off the visual from the blast. “Fate...? Fate...!? Faaaate!!!


Shamal: Nanoha has been hospitalized ever since she came back. Not saying a word to any of us, I treated her and patched her wounds. Her injuries were not life threatening but her Linker Core was down to a size where she wouldn't be able to use magic for a few days. Despite this, something is wrong with her...

Hayate: Nanoha!? Nanoha why won't you answer us!?”

Yuuno: This isn't right... Nothing is wrong with her to make this happen... Why won't she react to anything!?

Shamal: I've seen this before...Her body and Linker Core will be fine... but her heart, her soul...

Chrono: What do you mean!?

Shamal: She's... lost her desire to live.

Hayate: Next time on Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha's 6th Division... “Reminisce”

Onwards to Part 7


Back to 6th Division: Reminisce Index - Back to Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction