6th Division: Reminisce (part 4 of 8)

a Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha fanfiction by Satashi

Back to Part 3 Untitled Document

My hands shook nervously while I waited impatiently for my friend to arrive. Ironically Fate's normal garage just so happen to have a towing service as well so when they showed up to remove the now flame-free wreckage they offered me a ride back to their office so I wouldn't have to sit on the street corner while waiting for someone to come get me. Currently the entire staff at the garage were all huddled around what used to be their best piece of work. The car barely resembled itself anymore, being nothing more than a burnt, broken frame and broken glass. Sora, the owner of the garage and one of Fate's best friends, sat down across from me in his office and gave me a look that clearly told me I was probably going to be impaled by Bardiche when my fiancée found out what had happened. I smiled nervously at him but he just closed his eyes and sadly shook his head. I swallowed thickly and suddenly felt like I was going to be sick. After a quick question he directed me to their bathroom, where I quickly walked to and proceeded to throw up due to the sheer nervousness and dread hanging over me. After rinsing out my mouth and waiting a moment to see if I would make it or not, I left the small room and saw Signum's car pulling up into the parking spaces. I felt a little better seeing my friend step out of the car but my stomach turned knots again when Fate also got out.

6th Mobile Division IV

By: Satashi

Nanoha quickly ran outside and greeted them nervously. “Um, hi,” She started, rubbing her hands together frantically in an effort to calm herself down. “Um, Fate, I, um, kind of sort of put a dent in your car!”

Fate blinked. “Oh...” The girl licked her lips, taking a small moment to herself before putting on a fake smile for her. “That's okay.” She started to walk past her but Nanoha jumped back and stood in front of her again.

“Well,” She started again, stumbling over her words. “It's kind of... a big dent...” Fate's eyes widened at the news and her already obviously upset expression suddenly got worse. “Um, um, um... Maybe a scratch or two...and, um, well, the tires...and um...” She tried to keep Fate from running past her. “I'll take care of it all I promise! So, so,” She finally allowed Fate past her when the woman snatched her arm back from Nanoha's hold. “Oh god, oh god, oh god, oh god...”

“It can't be that bad can it?” Signum asked, placing a hand on her shoulder. To answer her question all of the staff quickly came running from the back of the shop where Fate's car was, each saying they didn't want to be anywhere near her when the blond saw it. “Okay, maybe it is that bad...Sorry, Fate heard I was going to meet you so she tagged along...”

Nanoha walked along side Signum back around the building and over to where her fiancée was standing in front of the wreck. She watched her slowly walk around the remains with wide eyes. For a moment she thought that Fate would be too shocked to be angry but after a minute of inspecting the girl suddenly kicked the remains and pushed both her arms down, fist clenched and shoulders shaking. Fate turned around and glared her her, storming closer to them and panting heavily in anger. When she was close enough Fate reared back her fist and swung at the girl. Nanoha closed her eyes tightly and waited for the hit. When nothing came she slowly allowed her eyes to open and look at the fist hovering a few inches away from her. Fate's hand opened and closed a few times before she thrust both her hands down by her side again.

“You destroyed my car!” The words finally came. “What the hell, Nanoha!?” She threw a finger towards the scrap. “How is that possible!? HUH!?”

Nanoha swallowed back her tears. “I... Shot down a drone onto it and blew it up...”

Fate looked like she wanted to try hitting her again. “You can control your spells perfectly!” Fate yelled in her face. “How did you manage to screw up this bad!?”

Signum put a hand on Fate's shoulder. “Fate, maybe you.” She watched the blond move her shoulder and continue to yell at the one in front of her. “... Maybe not...”

“I-I'm sorry!” Nanoha finally started crying.

“Sorry doesn't' cover it!” Fate put her nose against hers and screamed. “That's my only release from work, and you destroyed it!”

“I didn't mean to!” The brown haired girl's voice broke, chocking on her own gasp for air. “R-really!”

Fate stomped on the ground, hands shaking furiously, before turning and storming off. “Lets so, Signum.”

“But,”

“Let's go!”

Signum turned to look at Nanoha, who had fallen to her knees and was covering her mouth with one hand while holding her stomach with the other. “I'll talk to her,” Signum spoke calmly. “And I'll get Yuuno to come get you.” She pat the girl's back briefly before standing and walking over to her car.

Nanoha looked up a little and saw Fate slam the car door before hitting the dashboard repeatedly with her fist. Slowly she sat down on the ground and hugged her knees, crying between them. She wasn't sure how long she sat there but after a while she saw the last of the day's light being cut off from her. Looking up, she saw Yuuno offering her a hand to help stand. Nanoha slowly reached up to take it and allowed her friend to put an arm around her while walking towards his ride. “You got here fast,” She finally spoke after he got in his car as well.

“I was already on my way,” He replied softly before backing out and heading back to the base. “They went to Fuji's so I don't think Fate will be back until late.”


Fate slammed down the shot quickly and crashed the glass onto the bar top in front of her. “Giv' me 'nother.” Her words slurred together, making it hard to fully understand her.

“I think you've had enough,” Signum corrected her. “Fate this is stupid, you never drink shots.”

“I dun wanna sip all'night.” She told her, leaning over as she talked and finally fell over onto her. “Stop makin' tha room spin!”

Kuhn set another shot in front of Fate and watched Signum's response happily. “Relax,” he told her with a grin. “The last four have been nothing but carbonated water.”

Signum's glare turned into a smirk. “Thank you.”

“So what happened?” The blue haired man started cleaning some of his glasses since it was a slow night for him, as many people didn't drink on Lightsday due to a religion. “Fate-chan never drinks like this?”

“Nanoha blew up'mah car,” Fate informed him, still leaning against her friend. She frowned darkly. “I'm gonna blow'up 'er training field...”

“No you're not.” Signum sighed. “I swear, sometimes she's the most mature and calm person I know, then I turn around and remember she's only nineteen...”

“Hard headed?”

“Yes. Very.” Signum stroked Fate's hair in an attempt to make her sleepy. “When she decides to do something, she does it. Trying to adopt Elio when she was seventeen, joining the military when she was eleven... believe it or not, this girl here is very dedicated. Nanoha is really lucky to have her.”

“Sometimes I wonder,” Fate muttered, voice slowly getting weaker as her weakness was being pet. “I almost hit 'er.”

“But you didn't,” Signum sighed. “I think I'm going to regret coming here tonight.”

Kuhn smirked. “Oh yeah. Fate always starts telling everyone how much she loves them and then berates herself when she's drunk.

“Don't remind me...”

“An...An...” Fate was still talking, despite no one listening to her. “And she always...always... leaves her clothes out and I trip over'em...”

“Why me?” Signum continued to stroke Fate's hair, wondering how long it would take before she fell asleep.


Signum waved the unconscious Fate's hand by the scanner next to her door and heard it unlock. After shifting her lightly the woman managed to open the door and walk into the loft apartment. To her surprise Nanoha leapt up from the couch and ran over to her. “You stayed up,” Signum spoke the obvious as she handed the girl over to her.

“I was worried,” Nanoha accepted Fate and cradled her in her arms. “Did she say anything?...You think she's mad at me...?”

Signum crossed her arms and smiled lightly. “She was going to drown you in the shower, cook you in the oven, tear you apart and play your lungs like bag pipes, then use your life insurance to buy a new car.”

“...Oh...”

Signum placed a hand on her head and ruffled her hair. “She also broke into tears because she almost hit you.”

“Really?”

“Ah. Put her to bed and get some rest yourself.” Signum nodded at her before leaving the two alone.

Nanoha looked down at the girl in her arms and slowly carried her up the stairs and awkwardly crawled across the bed to set her down against the wall. The motion made the drunk girl wake up and hazily open her eyes. “Go back to sleep,” Nanoha told her softly. “You're home now.”

“Go away...” Fate closed her eyes again and once more passed out. The blue eyed girl looked at her sadly a moment before hanging her head. Slowly she reached out for two of the numerous pillows on the bed and walked downstairs to sleep on the couch.

Morning came slowly, waking up Nanoha early since the sunlight hit her on the couch before it normally made it's way over to the bed upstairs. With a small groan she sat up and swung her legs off the couch. The girl let out a loud yawn while walking towards the kitchen and rubbing her eyes. Still half asleep, her hands went to work grabbing coffee beans and pouring them into her grinder. A few pulses later she was rewarded with a dusty powder that she poured into a filter and topped with hot water already warmed from their timer. No sooner than they started to soak Nanoha heard the front door open. Turning around, she caught the tail end of Fate's hair fly behind the door and see it close loudly. She looked from the door then back to the coffee then once more to the door. Finally she reached over and gently clicked off the coffee pot warmer and poured what she had into the sink before throwing away grinds she had just done. Nanoha walked out of the kitchen and went to the stairs, rubbing a hand across her eyes once and sniffing before getting ready for her day.


“You want me to do what?” Elio almost laughed. “I don't work for you.”

“If you want more information,” Jail told him with an amused look. “You will do as I require.” He formed a monitor in the air and slid it over to him. “That contains all the information on Project F, more than your precious Fate will ever be able to find out on her own. Get me what I want, and I'll tell you the password to unlock it.”

The boy looked down at the monitor, displaying 'enter password' over and over on it. “Why should I trust you?”

“Because that information contains nothing the government doesn't already know about me, nor anything that could possibly stop what I'm doing. To me, it's useless garbage I learned longer back than you've been alive. But to you...I suppose you've waited a long time to get a hold of it?”

“You're sick.” Elio growled. “When I get out of here...”

“You'll what?” Jail smirked. “You are no threat to me, and even if you do reveal this base I can vacate and have another one running within a week's time. The only reason you are still here is because my Lutecia wishes it to be so.”

“Strada!” Elio heard his device on Lutecia's wrist confirm his voice. “Store data.” The AI gave him an error message but Lutecia waved her hand over it. “Try again.” This time he got an accepted note and flew the monitor over to Lutecia, who raised her arm and caught it into his watch.

Jail looked over at Lutecia. “Would you like Zest to accompany you?”

“No thank you, he still needs rest.” Lutecia bowed lightly before turning. Elio followed her out back onto the military base and punched the wall next to him when they made it outside. “Don't hurt yourself, please.”

“How can you work with someone like that!?” Elio yelled at her. “What makes you think he's not just using you too?”

“I told you, I need to.”

“You don't have to! Shari-san can come up with something to help you! She made Caro-hime's gloves! If you come to my side, I'm sure we could work something out. Even Fate-san used to be a dimensionally wanted criminal stealing logia before she met Nanoha-san.” Lutecia looked over at him and met his eyes. “...What...?”

“No one... has ever tried to go out of their way for me before...” She looked away. “I don't know what to say.”

“Say you'll give it a try?” Elio put his hands onto her shoulders. “Lutecia...”

She looked up at him again, a blush on her face. “But if I leave now...” With a small step she stood closer to him. “I won't have anything keeping you near me.”

“Lutecia.” Elio took a small step back and felt like kicking himself when her face fell sadly. “Look, I kind of get the idea you want to be with me but... but I already promised my loyalty to section six and the dragon princess.”

“Caro-chan...” Lutecia started walking again, letting Elio catch up to her. “She had it as bad as I did, back then.”

“What do you mean?”

“We were experimented on together...” Lutecia looked at her hands. “I used to hold her when she cried... I thought... “ She turned to look at him again. “We kind of look the same, despite our hair and eyes...so I thought of her as my little sister.”

“You're... Not a bad person, are you Lutecia?”

The girl stopped walking a moment. “I...don't know. What I'm doing is wrong but...I can't live unless it's done. I don't have a choice.” She shook her head, voice suddenly flowing smooth again. “We should go.”

Elio licked his lips. 'She's holding back her emotions again... I can't even begin to imagine the fake ideas Jail put into this girl's head...' With a sigh he continued. “Where are we going exactly?”

“Far. We can make it in half an hour if we fly.”

“I can't fly.”

“Why not?”

“I don't know how,” He replied easily enough.

“I can let you fly.” Lutecia walked over to him. “If you want?”

“How so?”

“By giving you armor capable of it.” She offered a small smile. “Be my knight...?” She reached up to him but stopped herself before touching his cheek. “...Please?”

Elio gave her a sad look before reaching up and taking her hand, bringing it down. “Someone can take us.”

“...Yes.” She started to take her hand back but found Elio interlacing their fingers.

“If this will make you less sad, I don't mind.” He gave her a lopsided smile. 'She will hold on to me regardless anyway.'

“Yes...” Her lips turned up into the first true smile from her he's ever seen. “ It makes me happy..”


Tia looked at her instructor inquisitively. She had been standing there the past minute just staring into space, even after she had destroyed all the target balls thrown at her. Normally at a time like this she would call out to her and snap her back to the training but after her last 'flying lesson' she still had some pent up frustration she needed to release. The gun slinger moved silently around to her back, sneaking up on the teacher and yelling right behind her. “Incoming enemy attack!!!

Nanoha screamed out loudly, staggering forward and pointing her staff into the sky, turning around several times to try and find her enemies. When she finally realized Tia was smirking at her she let down her guard and panted out heavily, scared out of her mind. “I'm going,” She took a long intake of air. “To court marshal you, Tiana.”

“Is something bothering you?” She slid twirled her gun into it's card form and slipped it into her pocket. “You have been a little out of it, even more than usual.”

The teacher scratched her cheek with one finger. “Am I really that out of it while teaching you...?”

“Eh, um, no no...” She waved her hands. “I didn't mean it like that. It just seems that today you've...Ugh, I'm not good at this.”

“Thank you,” She offered her a smile. “I appreciate the effort. I'm sorry, I'll pay more attention now.” Before she could continue her thought a screen appeared in front of her.

“Nanoha, I have a lock on Elio!” Yuuno told her while running down a hallway. “I'm going to the control room right now to inform the others, could you round up your team?”

“Yes!” Nanoha saluted him briskly out of habit. “Tiana, go to Subaru, I'll get Fate and Caro-chan!”

“Ma'am!” She saluted quickly before running off while the other took to the sky.

“Fate!” Nanoha dropped from the air and landed next to her friend. “Yuuno got a lock- will you listen to me!?- He got a lock on Elio!”

“Caro, we're scrambling!” Fate ran over to her and wrapped her arms around the girl's waist before flying off towards the control room, leaving Nanoha behind.

“...I know you're upset at me, mou.” Nanoha leapt into the air as well, seeing Subaru's wing road rip up from the other side of the training ground. 'It'll probably be another day before she talks to me...'

Yuuno greeted them when the last of the group came in through the large window and stood at attention. “We found Elio,” He got straight to the point, bringing up a monitor that showed the boy fighting something that looked like a giant worm. “He's about two hours be helicopter.”

“How far by personal flight?” Fate asked instantly.

“Flying at how you probably would, still an hour and a half, and you'll also be too exhausted magically to do anything once you're there.” Shari crunched the numbers for her.

“Deploy by helicopter right away!” Hayate threw out her hand. “Riot force six, scramble!” She watched them all run out the door and turn down the hallway to get to the stairs leading to the helicopter pad. “Yuuno-kun, you didn't tell them?”

Yuuno looked at the monitor and observed Lutecia wielding Strada. “I'll tell them ten minutes before they get there. Right now I need them completely calm to prepare what they're going to do when they get there.”

Hayate smiled to herself. “You're quite the strategist aren't you?” She got a brief nod in return. “Come here,” She pet the arm rest of her chair.

“What am I, a dog?”

“Will you wag your tail if I say yes?” She teased up at him. “Will you help me command?”

“Only if you buy dinner after that comment.”

“Consider it done,” She waved her hand out to form monitors. “Help me think of possible scenarios and counter plan for them if you would?”


Elio slid in the sand and panted out, glaring at the huge beast in front of him. His hand gripped the standard spear device and growled deep in his throat when he remembered he couldn't load cartridges into it. “What I desire,” the words made him look to the side and see Lutecia's summoning circle spread out around her. “Those which beat the wings and cause the roar of wind,” She continued while Elio jumped into the air and spun around, ripping another hole into his opponent. “Wasp storm.” She pointed with one hand towards the worm several stories tall. As soon as her target was accepted the sand around them exploded into life. Countless wasp flew up and covered it, each stinging repeatedly. The attack only lasted ten seconds at the most before the horde of insects all flew away, dispersing into the skies. Elio looked at the worm who seemed unaffected by the attack. He prepared himself to strike again but Lutecia took a hold of his sleeve and shook her head. The boy turned his gaze once more to the beast and swallowed thickly when hives started breaking out on it and bursting.

“Remind me...” He started, turning and walking while the thing died. “To never piss you off...”

“Yes,” She didn't look too pleased, however.

“You okay?”

“I don't like killing...”

“It was a beast.”

“It was still alive.”

Elio stopped walking and looked at her back a moment before she stopped as well. “Lutecia...”

“Yes?” Her voice was still calm, still smooth.

“Don't...talk to me like that, I don't like it. If you're angry at something I said, say so.”

Lutecia looked down, clasping her hands in front of her. “I... don't want to risk losing control.”

“If you're trying to suppress your emotions, you're a fool.” He walked through the sand over to her and wiped the sweat from his forehead. “Because when you think you're being calm and collected, you're really so sad you don't know anything else. Lutecia I don't know what Scaglietti has told you but he's obviously telling you lies. Let us help!”

“Elio!” Lutecia was shocked at the tone of her own voice. “Please... I have to, I don't have a choice!”

“You do!” He grabbed her arms. “Don't let him bully you like this!” Elio allowed the girl to cling to his chest. “Lutecia, give me back Strada, let's leave and go to section six. I'll take care of you, I promise. Trust me.”

“I want to...” She whispered. “But as soon as you're not bound to me you'll leave... and I'll be alone again.”

“I won't leave you!”

Lutecia gripped him harder. “Let's... finish this mission...I'm hot, I don't want to talk here.”

“Okay.” He moved his arms so she could back away from him and for the first time didn't mind it when she took his hand. “So the dig site is around here, huh?”

“Yes. An ancient city was found under the sand of this desert. From what was found, the civilization was standard for the time it was dated to, but there is significant evidence to imply that this city had a power source to keep the heat from being unbearable and also supplied them with water. Our goal is to find that item and bring it back to base.”

Elio topped a sand dune and stood there, looking over what appeared to be a rather large hole dug in the ground. Several machines were around, most of which were a type used to dig. “Looks like this city did pretty well for itself.” His eyes looked around. “It has to be two miles long at least and it's not even completely uncovered yet...”

“Yes. The crew is not working today, there have been many sand creatures appearing lately. We need to hurry before a squad is sent to take care of them and catch us here.” The girl put Strada back into it's watch form and started to walk down the sand dune. A section caved in under her, making the girl fall and slide down quickly. Elio gripped her hand harder and slid down next to her, keeping her from falling and rolling all the way down to the bottom. “...Thanks,” She seemed a little shaken by the sudden fall.

“If you want to thank me, can I please at least use my barrier jacket?” He fanned the top of his shirt. “This black is killing me.”

“Bestow barrier jacket.” Lutecia pointed at him, forming the fabric around his body. “There you are.” Raising her other hand, she also called hers. Although her dress was black, it also showed her stomach, making the girl feel a little better.

“Thanks, I didn't think you'd actually do it.” Elio looked himself over, pleased to finally have a portion of his power back. “So the AMF field on me...?”

“Is off right now,” she finished for him, idly walking around and looking. “Telepathy won't work, though. There is still a jamming barrier around you coming from the band on your ankle. I don't want you to get hurt so I was able to release the AMF.”

“Can I have Strada back?”

“Sorry.”

Elio sighed out. “Fine...” He looked around a little more before catching up with her and allowing the girl to once again grip his hand. “I have a bad feeling... Like something is going on we don't know about...”


Fate sighed out when Yuuno's monitor blipped out. “Okay, Lutecia has Elio under her control right now. For whatever reason, Elio has to follow her until he can arm himself again with his device. Our first priority is to get into contact with him, then isolate him and Lutecia. Once done, depending on what Elio can tell us, we will either pull back or press on if there is a complication.” She got a salute from the three members. “Nanoha,” The girl looked at her hopefully. “Scan the area for Elio's personal signal.”

“...Yes ma'am.” Nanoha closed her eyes, ignoring the sudden looks she was getting. “I can feel Strada, but not Elio. He probably has a jamming field around him.”

“Figures.” Fate bit her nails but found Nanoha's hand on he wrist pulling them away out of instinct. The two looked at each other a moment before Fate turned her gaze. “I'm still not talking to you.”

“Sorry.” Nanoha took her hand back and looked over at the rest. “We will be one group this time, so listen to Fate for your orders. She does this for a living so don't question her when she tells you to do something, even if you don't understand it okay?” She got a few nods before Vice informed them that they would be landing soon. “Well then... All you.” She looked over at her fiancée.

The blond nodded and covered her eyes when the hatch opened up. Sand flew around them but she still ran out and leapt the few feet to the ground, crouching to absorb the impact and sinking to her ankles in the ground. She heard four sounds behind her before Vice backed off and the noise from the blades faded. “Let's move,” She darted forward, ignoring the heat coming over her from the cape of her jacket. The five ran through the sand before dropping and sliding along the dunes down towards the dig site. “This way,” she ran quickly, eyes looking around the stone buildings and scanning the ground for footprints. “Nanoha, scan again.”

Nanoha nodded and quickly combed the area mentally, using everything Yuuno had taught her about scanning magic. The results came back, making her almost falter in her stride. Sliding to a stop she scanned again, getting the same result. “Fate...he's here.”

“What!?” Fate quit running and looked back over at her. “What do you mean?”

Him.” She repeated, clenching her fist. “ Jail Scaglietti...” Her eyes glared into the distance, eying a man leaning against the door frame of a several story tall stone building. “I can feel him, I can smell him, I can see him!

“You three, continue the search,” Fate jogged over to Nanoha and looked where she was. “This is an emergency change in plans. Tia, you're in charge.”

“But ma'am!”

“Go!” The two older girls screamed at the same time, flying quickly into the air and spinning around each other as they charged the man who was walking into the building.

Tia looked over at the two people now under her command. “You heard her, let's move out!” She started running, pulling out her pistols as she did so. “Be on guard, people know we're here now so we need to get to Elio as fast as possible before they pull out!”

Nanoha and Fate landed on the balcony of the stone building and pressed their backs against the door. The two nodded at each other briefly before each running into the building at the same time and pointing their weapons. A glowing white-ish haze screamed around them, forcing both to their knees. Nanoha gasped out, panting for air, as her barrier jacket phased out from around her and Raising Heart returned to it's gem form. “An AMF!”

“Powerful,” Fate pushed herself up, now in her standard black enforcer outfit. “It's a trap!” The door behind them suddenly collapsed on itself, making the two scramble farther into the room. “Dammit...”

“Like a moth to the flame,” A new voice spoke up. “You two never learn, do you?”

Nanoha growled. “Show yourself, Scaglietti!”

“Right here,” The area around them lit up brightly, revealing a large room that had half the ceiling caved in. Jail was on the floor above them, standing near the edge. “What do you plan to do? You are both powerless.” He paced while talking. “Always depending on magic like the fools you are. Science is the true mystery of the universe!” The blond nodded over at Nanoha and waited until she got a nod back before running over to her and jumping. The brown haired girl caught her boots with both her hands and thrust upwards as Fate jumped again. She grabbed the floor Jail was standing on and grabbed Nanoha's hand when she jumped. Along with the force, she managed to get her hand up as well before they both climbed up. “Resourceful as always,” Jail mused. “Tell me, isn't it embarrassing jumping around and flying in those mini skirts?” The man dodged Fate's melee attacks and danced away from her when Nanoha also joined in. He caught her ankle when she tried to land a kick on his head and held it. “Oh, pink with lace, how nice.”

Nanoha jerked her foot back and took a few steps back to gain distance. “You're still a sick, perverted bastard as you've always been,”

Jail held up his hand and formed a barrier when Fate tried to attack him from behind. “Fate, Fate, Fate... What am I going to do with you?” with a flick of his wrist he sent her flying over his head and crashing into her girlfriend. “Without your magic you are nothing but a normal girl.”

Fate pushed herself up and spat a little blood from where she bit her lip. “You're nothing but a normal man with toys,” She looked around. “Where are you hiding your devices?”

“If I told you, where would the fun be?” Jail casually waved his hand, sending Fate flying back several feet and crashing into the wall, leaving cracks where she hit. He turned his gaze to Nanoha, who was seething at him. The first attack was blocked by his shield but the second shattered it. The third hit landed on his stomach making the man grunt. To avoid the fourth, he glared at her, sending her flying back and crashing onto the floor. “Very nice,” he rubbed the spot where he was hit. “I see you havn't been slacking on your hand to hand fighting.” He heard an explosion behind him and turned to see Fate slamming another small device into the ground. “You...!”

Fate flared forward, landing several hits on the man since the device making his shield was destroyed. “It's going to end, Scaglietti!” She screamed at him. “I won't forgive anyone who tries to play god!”

“Get off of me!” He raised his hand, slinging the girl into the ceiling and watching her collapse in front of him. “You can't even begin to understand the technology I possess!” He avoided another onslaught from Nanoha by blurring around her and slamming a fist into her gut. “My devices give me power that makes your foolish magic look like child's play.” Jail let Nanoha fall to her knees and grab her stomach. “Just with this one arm,” The man removed his science lab coat and revealed that his right arm was altered to look like a cross between a normal arm and that of a robot's. “I can channel all the telepathic abilities I possess into it and amplify it a hundred fold! You girls know nothing of the wonders science can do to better humans!” His eyes turned to Fate. “You disappoint me. I thought by now you would embrace what you are!”

“I am a human being!” She countered him. “I may have been born a copy but I will die an original!”

“Ah, Fate, how amusing.” Jail grabbed Nanoha's hair and hoisted her up, punching her stomach again.

“Don't you touch her!” The blond ran forward but had to stop to catch Nanoha when she was thrown at her. “Rest,” She told her, laying the coughing girl on the ground and frowned when she curled into a fetal position to try and get the air back that was robbed from her. “I'm going to kill you, Scaglietti!”

“You've promised that for years and have failed to uphold it, Fate.” He raised his hand and taunted her into attacking one again. When she was close enough he snapped his fingers, making the girl freeze in her tracks. “Unlike your binding spells,” He started, walking to the frozen girl casually. “My binds are complete. You can't even move your fingers can you?” Once he was close enough he trailed a finger along her cheek. “My, my, you grow more beautiful by the day.” The glare he received made him smile. “But you know what I like most about you? Besides your bust of course?” His hand went over her body, trailing over her breast.

“I'll kill you!” Nanoha's voice echoed around the room, pink energy starting to wisp around her as she struggled to push herself up.

“As expected,” Jail noticed. “Your anger increases your magic to the point where the AMF cannot contain it anymore.” He ran his hand over Fate's stomach

Nanoha screamed again, eyes going red. “Get your filthy hands off my fiancée!” Her body burned, the magic summoned being neutralized as soon as she formed it. “Come on... COME ON!!” The sound of a tuning fork rang into her ears.

Jail moved his hand out again, forcing the power of the field onto her. “Don't try it.”

“Come on... come on...” Nanoha glared at him, reaching behind her back and gripping air. “Phase Shift: Signum!!” The blood red sword came to her call. White and pink armor started to form around her body, swirling and hazing in and out of view. Still screaming, she ran forward and raised the sword to strike, stopping it instantly when Jail held up Fate as a shield.

“Die.” The single word came paired with electricity flaring around the girl. Another device activated, shooting a white haze directly into her, nullifying the energy she had managed to form. When the attack was over Nanoha sank to her knees, once again only in her flight uniform. “Since you draw so much power from seeing her in trouble... I wonder how it will feel to be the cause of her death?” Jail reached down and grabbed Nanoha's shirt, dragging her along the floor to the edge, where the ground broke off revealing the floor below them. “You know, Fate,” He spoke into her ear while the girl struggled to just be able to move again. “Your hair is what I love most about you,” He ran his hand through the silken threads. “But the best thing about hair is: by itself it is weak and fragile.” To prove his point he plucked a single thread from her head. “But... when grouped together...” This time he grabbed a fistful and yanked hard, pulling her head back. “The breaking point is increased as the thousands of threads share the force. Just as a bridge can be held up by twisting weak strings of metal, your hair can support weight easily when done right.” He pulled her hair up and grabbed the ribbon at the end, twisting it.

Nanoha coughed out, starting to push herself up. “I'm not... done yet...”

Jail waited until she stood before hitting her stomach again when she took a breath. When the girl doubled over he wrapped Fate's twisted hair around her neck and tied it into a knot. “So, what will happen now?” He forced Fate to the floor and grinned, making several rings of kinetic energy pin her to the ground, leaving one hand free. “Will you hang your lover, or will her weight break your neck first?” He kicked Nanoha's chest and watched her fall to the ground before sliding off the edge and falling. Fate screamed loudly as the bind on her was released, hand instantly going to grip the mass of twisted hair and pull on it to keep the weight from her head. “As much as I want to watch you two kill each other, I have more pressing matters to attend to.” With those words, he flew backwards and raised his hand, calling all his devices around the room to him except the AMF one. Once collected he leapt out a window and into the sunlight.

“Nanoha!” Fate pulled harder on her hair, wincing as her lover's choking sounds suddenly got worse. 'If I pull up, I'll choke her even more... If I don't, her weight will break my neck!' Her eyes closed tightly, struggling against the binds holding her on the floor. No magic came to her call despite how much she screamed. Almost half a minute went by before Nanoha went still, whimpering. “Nanoha!? Nanoha!?” She could feel it inside that she wasn't dead. 'Oh my god, she's suffocating herself so her struggling won't make it so hard to hold her up!' Tears came to her eyes. “Stop it!” She yelled out. “Don't die, you can pull yourself up, just grab my hair!” Nanoha didn't move. “Damn it Nanoha, do it! I won't let you die! Don't worry about me!” Still there was no response. Fate looked to the side sadly. “Nanoha, do it! My neck will break anyway, save yourself!” Gasping out, her eyes went wide, seeing a rock neck to her. It looked as if it had been broken in half at a sharp angle. Desperately she let go of her hair and grabbed it. The weight she felt was immediate, forcing her to try and lift all the mass with just the muscles on her neck and shoulders. Reaching back, she started stabbing blindly at her hair. She felt the strands start to rip and break, making her jab even more frantically at it. After a few seconds she reared back and thrust again, finally destroying enough of her hair for the rest to start to break. All at once she felt her hair give and heard a loud crash under her where Nanoha fell.

Nanoha gasped out loudly, rolling over onto her hands and knees and taking long ragged intakes of air. Once she was able to, she stood and scrambled her way over to the side, where she climbed up some rubble to be able to reach the floor above her. “Fate! Fate, answer me!” The mass of golden hair started falling from around her shoulders and onto the floor.

“Hey...” She moaned out. “You okay...?”

“Fate!” Nanoha ignored the sharp piece of rock and pulled herself up desperately, cutting herself and scraping her body. “Fate! Fate!” Once up she grabbed a hold of a spherical object and raised it above her head before bringing it down onto a pile of rocks. The device sparked, burning her hands, but she kept on until it finally gave up and died. “Just a second...” Nanoha formed a ball of magic in front of her finger now that the AMF device was no longer active. The ball shot each ring over her, freeing the girl. “Fate...!”

“Nanoha...” She smiled to herself when her fiancée fell on top of her and hugged tightly. “You idiot...don't you ever do something like that again...”

Nanoha coughed out and cried, holding her closer. “You're the idiot!” She protested. “I couldn't do something to hurt you!”

Slowly Fate reached up and embraced her back. “I'd give my life for you anytime,” She whispered into her ear. “There's no question about it.”

“Fate...”

“So...” She took a breath. “When I tell you to do something, do it.”

“I couldn't risk killing you,” Nanoha whispered back, sobbing silently. “I just couldn't...Even if you're not speaking to me, I can't-”

“Nanoha.” She spoke softly but the word still made the other girl stop talking. “I didn't talk to you because I was scared I'd say something to hurt your feelings; don't think even for a moment I ever loved you any less. You have any idea how much it hurt to know I almost hit you? I cried and cried and cried...”

Sniffing, Nanoha pulled back enough to put their foreheads together and kiss her quickly. “I'm sorry; I really am. But right now I just want to know you're okay.”

“If you want to make it up to me, “ Fate smiled, obviously in pain now that her adrenaline was wearing off. “I'd really, really like it if you got in touch with Shamal...”

“Okay, right away. Can you move your toes?”

“Yes, I'm not paralyzed but I have one hell of a headache...”


“Roger,” Tia let the monitor in front of her fade from view. “We're on our own,” She told her team. “Fate-san and Nanoha-san were defeated by Jail.”

“Are they okay!?” Subaru gasped out, shocked.

“They'll be fine, right now we are to focus on rescuing Elio.” She frowned. “Why havn't we seen them?”

“Maybe they went inside a building?” Subaru looked around slowly. “We should have seen their footprints by now, though.”

“Are we in the right area?” Caro asked suddenly.

Tia looked behind them, noticing that their footprints were being erased by a sudden shift in the ground. “What in the...” Before she could finish her statement the sand buckled upwards, creating an obvious roll in the ground. “Everyone scatter!” The three instantly ran in opposite directions as a giant sand worm surfaced where they had just been standing. “It's huge!”

“By the light of Elune!” Subaru gasped out. “What is that thing!?”

“A sand wyrm!” Tia shot the beast several times, drawing attention onto her. “Caro, keep going!”

“But-!”

“I said go!” Tia dodged to the side as the wyrm dived towards her and destroyed one of the stone buildings behind her. “Find Elio!”

“R-right!” Caro turned and ran off. 'Why did I leave without Freidliche!?'

Subaru ran in the sand a moment before jumping and forming her wing road along with her skates. “Lock and load!” A single rifle shell flew out from her glove as she charged the beast trying to get her partner. “Divine...!”

Caro ignored the loud explosion behind her and kept running, eyes scanning the area. A sudden vibrating on her hands made her look down, seeing her device glowing. 'Someone is summoning near by!' She turned and rounded a corner, following the feeling she was getting from her gloves. As she continued the feeling got stronger and eventually lead her to the edge of the dig site. A softy ripple made the sand around her shift lightly, a sign that there was a battle taking place on the other side. Quickly she scampered up the large dune and laid down at the top to peek over and see what was going on. Elio was crouched down, obviously panting hard. In front of him another giant wyrm, posed to strike. 'It's him!' She moved to slide down the dune but the sight of Lutecia made her stop. The girl was finishing her summon, seeking a swarm of locus onto the beast.

Elio wiped the smear of blood off his forehead with the back of his hand and gasped out. “Another one down... I can't do this anymore...”

Lutecia fell to her knees and breathed heavily. “We have what we need, let's escape here as soon as possible...” The wyrm they were fighting fell to the ground, dead. “I don't think... I can do this much longer.”

The red head nodded and pushed himself up. “Come on,” He started to walk over to her but the ground suddenly broke upwards, flinging both of them in separate directions. A large red scaled creature erupted from the ground and made a high pitched screaming noise. “Oh hell, we pissed off their mother!” His eyes went to the side, seeing Lutecia on her back, pushing herself away from the animal when it turned to look at her. 'She's going to get eaten!' His hand tightened around the spear he had. 'But... if she does... I'll be free and Scaglietti will lose one of his best soldiers...' His eyes went to the wyrm as it reared it's body back to strike, mouth open to reveal several rows of sharp teeth.

“Help me!!” Lutecia screamed out loudly. “My knight!!”

The worm shot forward, lunging towards the girl. Right before it could consume her a large gash ripped through it's scales, near the end of it's body. Elio flew down in front of Lutecia, hovering a few inches off the ground. Sharp angled purple armor reflected the sun's harsh light. Elio was now clad in a black under suit with purple metal forming boots on his feet up to his knees, where they split into double points. After a small break, more armor covered his thighs and lead up to a breastplate. His shoulders each held two points as well. Down his arms the armor continued, also giving a small break at his elbow before covering his forearms and the top of his hands. He had no helmet but from his back two large sheer pixie wings erupted, beating quickly to keep him in the air. The male held out his arm and opened his hand, prompting Lutecia to slowly reach upwards and hand him Strada. Now armed, he glared at the beast. 'As if I could let someone die.'

Elio's body left a blur behind it as he flew forward, slashing quickly. The beast let out another scream and fell backwards, exposing it's less armored stomach. The knight flew towards it quickly, shooting two cartridges from his spear. “Knight attack: Through the Never!” With a single swipe of his spear he sent a gash ripping through the animal, cleaving it in half. Slowly he landed after the attack and turned to look at Lutecia, who was laying on her back. “Are you okay...?”

“I... can't move...” She told him weakly. “Used too much... energy...” Despite her weak body she couldn't help but look at him in admiration. “You... accepted it...”

“I can't watch someone die,” He answered, kneeling to pick her up.

“Give me...Strada back...” She leaned her head weakly against his shoulder. “So Jail... Won't...”

“I understand.” He let his spear go back into it's watch form and watched Lutecia slowly try and attach it over her small wrist. “I guess I don't have a choice but to go back and get that password and get you treated...”

“Thank you.” She sighed out and closed her eyes, falling asleep.

Caro watched Elio jump into the air and fly away from her. The girl stayed there on her stomach for several moments before the first tear fell off her cheek. Soon another followed it on the other side while she stood up in the sand of the hot desert. She let out a small sob before her trembling hands slowly balled into fist and shook. Every so slowly she lifted her head and glared at the spot where Elio once was. Another tear fell from her eyes but this time held no sadness in it. Rage ripped through her heart, tearing at everything she knew. Her knight had been stolen from her, and she didn't like it. Not at all. She closed her eyes tightly, shoulders shaking.

Little Girl,” A voice floated to her, making Caro open her eyes once again. Snow flared around her in all directions, covering the ground and the trees around her. To her left a frozen pond caught her attention. “What is it that you seek?

Caro looked up above the pond, seeing a ice blue dragon standing before her. “Power,” She answered immediately.

For what?” The dragon asked her, stepping forward and spreading its wings to reveal an almost transparent material to catch the wind. The snow blew around them faster, swirling around between them.

“To fight,” Caro told him, eyes firm on the dragon's. “To hurt...To take back something that belongs to me!”

Revenge?” It pondered.

“Yes.”

The dragon seemed to smile. “Very well then, little girl. What is your name?

“Caro. Caro Lu Rushie.”

Princess Caro Lu Rushie. I will grant you the power you seek. Call my name, and I will come to your side.

Caro opened her eyes, once again in the heat of the desert. In front of her the ground opened up as a black demon wyrm arose. “You,” It spoke telepathically to the girl. “My mate and children are dead! I will take my revenge!”

“Your revenge,” Caro spoke calmly to it, raising a hand. “Is nothing compared to the ice in my heart.” Ignoring the loud roaring screech of the beast, she simply opened her hand. “Shiva.” The summoning circle appeared at once and the screech of her opponent was drowned out by the roar of the ice dragon appearing behind her. Flaring out her wings, Shiva took a long intake of air before breathing out frost, scanning the area in front of her. When the blue mist faded away, Caro was given the sight of a large block of ice where the father of the wyrms once was. The sand was frozen as well, even glistening in the sun's light. “Break,” She spoke, a light fog coming from her mouth. The ice in front of her shattered instantly, raining chunks down into the sand and sinking back into the hole it had came from. Shiva looked at its master a moment before shrinking down to the height of four feet and length of seven. Her wings folded onto her back and the two walked down the other side of the dune towards Tia and Subaru who were running at her.

“Caro!” Subaru shouted, dropping to her knees to look at the girl. “What happened!? Did you find Elio!?” She had blood smeared on her cheek from the battle but seemed otherwise unhurt.

“Yes,” She told them softly, looking down and suddenly overtaken by sadness. “He... He...” Not able to continue, she lost the rage and collapsed into tears, hugging Subaru as tightly as she could.

Tia looked over at the ice blue dragon with a confused expression. “Let's head back...I have the feeling we have a lot to talk about...”

Subaru nodded and picked Caro up, carrying her back to their rendezvous point. “So... you're a new summon, huh?” She asked the Dragon, who seemed to not be interested in her. “Um, I'm Subaru, and this is...” Her sentence trailed off when Shiva simply spread her wings and took into the air. “Well... not friendly like Freidliche is it?”


Next time...

Caro: She has taken something from me, something I want back. My mind tells me to be calm, to think, to think things through... But my heart hurts, my eyes water, and I feel something I don't like at all. This feeling... I don't want it, but its the only thing keeping me from breaking... I don't understand... What is this...?

Tia: My second mission in a row failed. I'm beginning to understand just how hard my path to an enforcer will be, but even so... I won't give up. I will lead my team.

Subaru: Nanoha-san was defeated in battle. I never thought it could happen... I've been thinking a lot lately, and I realize now the expression “nothing is invincible”. I can't slack off now. If my opponents become harder, then I will get stronger.

Elio: Lutecia is starting to listen to me, but the information I gained for my field trip has only lead to more questions. I have to gain more data... and somehow get it to section six. It's disgusting but for now I'll have to trade my power for information. Once I have enough to bring him down, I'll make my move. Wait for me, Caro-hime.

Nanoha: I have to become stronger... strong enough to overpower an AMF, but how? Even my best only gave me a few seconds of power... How can I fight Scaglietti, who uses technology to neutralize everything I am capable of...?

Hayate: Next time on Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha's 6th Division: Reminisce, “The White Devil and The Terror of Death”

Fate: I will always protect you, Nanoha.

Onwards to Part 5


Back to 6th Division: Reminisce Index - Back to Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction