Final Distance (part 14 of 30)

a Mai HiME fanfiction by jaded088

Back to Part 13 Untitled Document

Come on, Natsuki! I want to get good seats!”

Suddenly jerked into a sprint, Natsuki was helpless to fight against her new roommate, Mai Tokiha, as she hastily tried to get her legs to catch up with the rest of her body.

Good seats for what?” the dark-haired girl managed to question, finally catching up enough to claim her arm back.

The battle between the top two Pearls, of course! It’s the highlight of the initiation ceremony I hear,” Mai informed her, the excitement evident on her face.

Natsuki’s emerald eyes lit up as well, “So we’re going to watch an actual battle?”

Mmh. Exciting, isn’t it? I can’t wait!”

Unfortunately for the two energetic Corals, by the time they arrived at the arena, most of the best spots were already taken by the older Pearls.

Mai visibly fumed, “Oooh…That’s so not fair!”

Over here,” Natsuki called, already weaving her way through the crowd.

Ducking her head as she slid past people, the girl bumped elbows with a few of the older girls, which earned her some not-so-pleasant glares that she promptly ignored, but when Natsuki finally made it through, she found herself right against the railing of the balcony. A few moments later, Mai stumbled through the wall of girls as well.

Geez, why did you go this way?”

The dark-haired girl merely pointed ahead of her.

Oh…Oh! This place is good. Nice job,” Mai exclaimed.

It was better than good, in fact, it was arguably the best seat in the house, save for the Headmistress’ balcony perhaps.

In a matter of minutes the rest of the arena was packed, no seat untaken, all standing room filled to the brim. Excitement filled the air like static as the crowd was becoming restless with anticipation, and then the announcement came welcoming everyone to Garderobe for the Ceremonial Butou between the top two Pearls. Natsuki watched on in awe as two giant columns rose from the ground to join the others that scattered the dusty arena, only atop these two new additions were standing the girl’s to participate in the battle.

The announcer introduced the busty blonde girl first, a Miss Haruka Armitage, current Pearl number two, who simply raised her hand in recognition when the crowd roared. Natsuki recognized her as one of the Trias members who had introduced themselves to the Corals earlier. From what she could tell, the older girl was a boisterous stickler when it came to obeying the rules of the school, not that Natsuki didn’t find that admirable, but she also didn’t think the blonde needed to be quite so loud about it…

Before the announcer could even say the name of the other contestant, the roar of the crowd erupted even louder. Natsuki recognized this girl as well. Shizuru Viola, Pearl number one and also a member of the Trias, the very girl who had caught Natsuki’s eyes during the earlier introduction. Of course the dark-haired Coral had acted like she didn’t notice, but that was because she had felt oddly vulnerable under the lingering gaze of the chestnut-haired upperclassman, but now she openly watched her at this safe distance. Or at least Natsuki thought it was safe until Shizuru, who had been scanning the crowd as she waved to her fans, paused when her crimson eyes met sparkling jade ones. The younger girl’s cheeks flared involuntarily, especially when she could have sworn that the girl in the gray and white robe winked at her from her spot on the pillar.

I hear that even though both Haruaka Onee-sama and Shizuru Onee-sama are only first year Pearls, they’re already the top of their class. Isn’t that amazing? Maybe that’ll be you and me one day,” Mai remarked.

Natsuki, brain still fumbling over what she thought she saw, couldn’t conjure a response, and would have been cut off anyway by the loud beep signaling for the battle to commence.

Instantly, the two Pearls summoned their quarterstaffs and flew straight at each other. Their varying fighting styles became quickly aware to Natsuki. Haruka was obviously the stronger of the two, her mighty blows causing more than one of the columns to come crashing down, while Shizuru on the other hand was deft and swift, easily dodging the slower girl’s assaults while scoring a blow when she found an opening. That isn’t to say that she came away totally untouched, for during one of these attempted attacks, Haruka managed to connect a counterattack, sending the beautiful russet eyed girl barreling into the same wall that Natsuki was on. The young Coral gritted her teeth, her hands gripping the railing tightly as she leaned over it, her emerald eyes glazed with concern. She breathed a sigh of relief, however, when before the dust could even clear, Shizuru came bolting out of the cloud, successfully delivering the finishing blow to her fellow Pearl.

Whoa! Shizuru Onee-sama sure is amazing, isn’t she?” Mai questioned, shaking a gaping Natsuki back and forth.

Y-Yeah…” the other girl stammered, not able to tear her eyes away from the crimson-eyed beauty standing solitarily in the middle of the cheering arena.


Later that evening at the initiation feast, Natsuki sat at the long table assigned to the new Corals stuffing herself with some of the best food she had ever tasted. Returning with another drink, Mai sat across from her with a curious gleam in her eyes.

What?” Natsuki asked somewhat nervously, obviously wary of the redhead.

I think you have an admirer, Natsuki.”

Hmm?” the girl murmured with her mouth full.

Shizuru Onee-sama has been staring in this direction for quite a while. I thought at first she was looking at me, but when I got up to get another drink, I noticed she was still gazing over here.”

Mai—!”

You should go talk to her. Although I would be careful, I’ve heard that our Onee-sama is quite fond of pretty girls.”

Sh-Shut up! That’s stupid!” the raven-haired Vedelian seethed, cheeks coloring, before furiously excusing herself from the dining hall.

Stepping out onto the veranda, Natsuki embraced the night air, allowing it to cool her heated features.

Honestly…” she whispered in a low raspy voice.

So involved in her own state of fluster was Natsuki that she didn’t even hear the soft footsteps approaching behind her, and only noticed the other presence when two slender arms snaked around her waist, drawing her back into a soft, calming warmth. Immediately she froze, audibly gasping in surprise, which only caused her captor to chuckle amusedly.

I was hoping for a chance to have you to myself,” the voice purred into her ear, and Natsuki registered it right away.

Sh-Shizuru Onee-sama!”

Ah, you remembered my name…I’m very honored” the other playfully teased, “Since you already know who I am, may I have the pleasure of knowing who you are as well?”

N-N-Natsuki…Natsuki K-Kruger.”

The older girl giggled again, “Natsuki-chan. Such a lovely name…Perfectly befitting of your beautiful face. But please, do not be so nervous around me.”

S-Sorry, Onee-sama…” the Coral seriously apologized.

Loosening her grip, Shizuru turned the shorter girl around to face her, “You don’t have to apologize. Tell me, did you enjoy the performance today?”

Y-Yes, Shizuru Onee-sama was truly magnificent.”

Ookini—“

To have such strength…” Natsuki openly spoke, her gaze falling to the ground, “I hope that I too may become strong like Shizuru Onee-sama, although I do not think that I could ever match your splendor…”

Touched by the girl’s sudden honesty, Shizuru couldn’t hold back the genuine smile that graced her features, “I believe that Natsuki can do whatever she puts her mind to.”

Natsuki raised her head, the moonlight gleaming on her perfect emerald eyes as they gazed into crimson pools full of loving adoration before the Pearl leaned in a planted a kiss on the unexpecting girl’s forehead.

Shizu—“ the dark-haired girl began to say, cheeks coloring yet again, before a single finger pressed against her lips, silencing her immediately.

I have to return now, but we can speak later if you wish,” she began as she backed away, “ If you ever need anything, do not hesitate to come to me, okay?”

Speechless, Natsuki watched as the older girl sauntered back into the dinning hall, disappearing behind the large double doors.

Shizuru…Onee-sama…”

Onwards to Part 15


Back to Final Distance Index - Back to Mai HiME Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction