Lovers Eternal (part 14 of 14)

a Kannazuki no Miko fanfiction by Tsuyazakura Kouyuki

Back to Part 13 EPILOGUE: WHEN THE CURTAINS FALL

EPILOGUE: WHEN THE CURTAINS FALL.

 

**************************************************************************************

 

It was already way past midnight, yet Yui, lying on her side, was still fully awake. She should have been able to close her eyes without having them spring open just a heartbeat later, providing that just a few hours ago, she and her loving companion, Yue, had lain in each otherfs arms, tangled in the linen beddings, so exhausted they barely had the strength to breathe. She should have been able to sleep, as Yue once in a while would whisper into Yuifs ears the lullaby composed from words of love before the silver-haired girl drifted off to her own slumber. Yui should have been able to even have sweet dreams – denied to her during the last three thousand years sometimes by feverish nightmares and most of the times, tearful sleeplessness – for she now had what she wished for most, never-ending bliss and the eternal company of the most magnificent girl in the world. She but wondered if her restlessness tonight was caused by the happiness that had been welling up in her soul, or the fear that all of this – the girlfs warm and even breaths tickling against Yuifs neck, the smoothness of her snowy skin under Yuifs hand, or the softness of her small and fragile body engulfed in Yuifs embrace – were but illusions created by her vicious father.

Carefully, Yui rolled Yue off her arm, laid the girlfs head gently on the soft, fluffy pillow, then rose quietly from the bed. She took a white yukata hanging over the changing screen and wrapped it around her bare body. Afterwards, she went to the far side of the room in the Lunar Shrine, slid open the shoji door, and sat down on the wooden floor, gazing at the dark, faraway horizon. The Moon looked even more lifeless than ever with its surface torn apart by seemingly bottomless cracks formed during the battle between Yui and Izanagi the Lord of Izumo a couple of days past.

She sighed. Although Yui and Yue had rebuilt the Lunar Shrine without breaking a drop of sweat, they were but powerless when it came to bringing life back to the deserted Moon. This place – once called the Land of the Eternal Light, honored as the most beautiful sanctuary in the Creation Realm – had been so thoroughly destroyed by the fight between Rinne and Akira three thousand years ago that not a spark of life was left beneath the ground. Yui doubted anything short of the Mirror of Life could return the Moonfs long-lost beauty.

gYui-chan?h a crystalline, melodious voice called, followed by the soft sounds of footfalls upon the wooden floor. Yui turned her head, and found herself washed over by a wave of wonder.

Even though most of the room was occupied by darkness, Yue still managed to be as radiant as if she stood amid sunlight. Silver hair falling in a straight, glossy stream to her feet, body covered loosely in white bed linen, showing skin on her neck, her shoulder, her long and slender legs, the Goddess of the Moon walked toward Yui and stopped upon reaching her. Yui looked up at her sweetheart, feeling as though drown in a sea of wine. The Immortals of Heaven were wrong when they kept insisting that Yui was the most beautiful being in the Three Worlds, for she believed only Yue was worthy of such title. She was not the only one who held onto that opinion, of course. Izanagi the Lord of Izumo, whether hefd admit it or not, obviously agreed.

gWhy are you out here, Yui-chan?h Yue asked softly while settling gracefully on her knees next to where Yui sat. With the g-chanh added, the silver-haired girl turned Yuifs name into the cutest sound ever.

gI couldnft sleep, so I didnft want to disturb you,h Yui answered with a smile. gHow about you? Why are you awake? You were just snoozing soundly just a minute ago.h

gWell, I...h Yue began. For some reason, she stopped abruptly after that, face growing redder by the minute. The beautiful girl looked away, then, clutching the bed linen at her front more tightly with her hands.

gOh, I see.h Yui laughed softly. gYou couldnft sleep without me next to you, is that it?h Judging by Yuefs face, the very picture of the setting sun, and the embarrassed gleam in her silver eyes, Yuifs arrow must have flown true.

gYoufre so cute, Yue-chan,h Yui whispered into her sweetheartfs ear and gave her a light peck on the cheek, turning the face of the Goddess of the Moon even redder, if that was possible. Smiling, Yui put an arm around Yuefs back and pulled her closer while her vacant hand gently cupped the silver-haired girlfs chin and raised it up. Their mouths found one another in a deep kiss that took their breath away.

 Even after their lips had parted, Yui didnft release her cuddly companion. She slid a hand beneath Yuefs knees, lifted her up, and placed the silver-haired girl on her lap. Although the Goddess of the Moon gave a surprised squeak at first, she adapted to the situation quickly. She settled her arms around Yuifs back, propped her head upon Yuifs shoulder, and nuzzled her nose against Yuifs neck while muttering things that Yui found utterly unintelligible. On the other hand, they sounded so adorable in Yuefs sweet voice that Yui would be perfectly happy to listen to them all night.

Sighing in contentment, Yui hugged her sweetheart tightly, leaning down to kiss her forehead or her cheek once every so often. Sometimes, the other girl would reach up and kissed her lightly on the lips, perhaps out of gratitude, or perhaps she just wanted to – Yui couldnft tell. They stayed that way for another while, enjoying each otherfs blessedly heart-warming company. Yui almost wanted to pinch her cheek just to make sure that this was not a wishful dream. She could not help, really, when she had spent the last three thousand years thinking that she was hated by the one she loved, when she had spent every moment, dreaming and awake, grieving for the first eighteen years of her life. She could not stop herself from doubting reality, for after all, the memory of that sorrowful day still seared her heart. It might take a while for her new-found happiness to heal it completely and forever remove its scar....

 

...

 

Face soaked with tears, which had started overflowing as soon as she woke, Yui stared at the darkness that hung about the ceiling. The holographic clock read twelve noon, yet only the light of a lamp post standing outside, beneath the dark, starless heavens, shone through her opened window. Of course, the Sun had died, just as she was about to herself. Once she drew her last breath, the Sun would explode on the spot, for they could not exist without one another. Well, Father would do something about that, naturally. No doubt he would create a new Sun and name a new Goddess to take Yuifs place. She only pitied the mortals what would die before the light of the new Sun would once again warm the Earth. In fact, according to what Izanagi-sama had told her every time he came here and tried to rouse her from her depression, a lot had died already. Her Father said that some froze to death while most became food in the bellies of the monsters born from the dead of night. Yet, try as the man might, he could do nothing to bring back to Yui the will to live. After all, why should she even want to? A life where she couldnft see the one she loved ever again was simply not worth the effort.

Yue... her beloved Yue-chan.... Yui wept harder. Why did this have to happen?

From when Yui was little, she had always liked Yue more than anyone else in the world. Growing up, it took her little time, and effort, to realize that she had found in Yue the other half of her existence, the one she wanted to spend immortality with. During their adolescent years, she had strived to stay by Yuefs side, trying her best to make the girl happy without saying right out that she had fallen in love. Perhaps she was shy, perhaps she thought that it wasnft that necessary, or perhaps she feared Yue would be horrified at her abnormal love. Or perhaps a little bit of each of these, Yui didnft know for sure what she felt at that time.

Then that day came, when Yui invoked the power of Inochi no Kagami to save the flower Yue had brought to Heaven from their most recent excursion trip to the Earth. She almost lost her life wielding the Mirror, but it was worth it, for Yue had given her something she had desired for a very long time in exchange. A kiss on the lips, a declaration of love from her most precious person. It was a mere touching of lips, yet it meant more than anything that could be told. Overwhelmed by the sensation and the affection that flowed into her soul, also from the fatigue of wielding First Supreme, Yui had passed out... just to regain consciousness a few days later when words were brought to her that Yue had returned to the Underworld.

Seized with incredulity, she had rushed to see her Father the Lord and ask for the reason. In his study, she found a man driven over the edge with rage, who snarled at her like a beast that she had better vanish from his sight before he ripped her head off. Later, her brothers, the young Susanou and Kagutsuchi, told Yui that the newest quarrel between Izanagi-sama and Izanami-sama had hammered the last nail on the coffin of the relationship between Heaven and the Underworld. Furious, the Lady of Reiha had decided to take Tsukiyomi the Goddess of the Moon back to her home City and severed all ties with Izumo. War was imminent. Yui hardly cared, for she had passed out once again as soon as she learned that Yue would probably never come back.

From that point on ward, she spent her days crying her heart out in her room. She didnft touch a grain of rice or a drop of water. As her spirit spiraled downward into depression, immortality failed her. Time began to tug at her body, reminding her that her aging process had started. Her celestial power waned, thus forcing the Sun to shut down as a result. The eternal night plagued the human world. Yet again, aside from pitying the mortals, Yui hardly cared. In fact, had she had the strength, or the opportunity, to commit suicide, she would have. Izanagi-sama, perhaps able to sense her wish for death, had cast upon her a spell that would stop her from doing herself harm. Worse, he planted all sorts of listening devices in her room to make sure he could response in time to whatever Yui did. Sometimes, Yui didnft know whether the man cared about her well-being or that of the Sun. Izanagi-sama seemed to have given up, though, for several months had gone by since Yui saw him last.

gAmaterasu-nee-sama,h a soft, emotionless voice said. gWould you just stop brooding and get on with your life?h Sei no Tsurugi no Rinne, in her white outfit and cloak, was looking at Yui coldly from the opened shoji door. The brilliant light from her eight wings, folded behind her back, banished the darkness of Yuifs room in no time. It was as though a sun had just emerged.

gGo away,h Yui sobbed, burying her face in the pillow.

gAkira is worried about you, you know,h Rinne continued as though she had not heard. gYou should at least let him speak with you.h

gGet out!h Yui lifted her head from the pillow and shouted at the Seraphim Blade. gWho are you to come here and tell me what to do? You only cared about your precious Akira!h

gNot just Akira,h Rinne continued, gbut Kagutsuchi-nii-sama and Susanou-nii-sama as well. They are so concerned about your health that they too, have grown much thinner during the last several months. I know you miss Tsukiyomi-sama but this cannot go on any longer. Think of what would happen to your brothers should you die, nee-sama.h

Yui threw a pillow at Rinne, which burst into flame and fell apart before it reached her face. The Seraphim Blade looked at Yui frostily, eyes narrowing, fists clenching, eight wings trembling behind her back. As far as Yui knew, no one had ever dared do that to Rinne.

gLeave, now!h Yui screamed. For a moment there, Yui thought the platinum-haired girl would march to her bed and haul her off the room by the scruff of her neck. She sure had the power to, now. Luckily, Rinne turned on her heel, slammed the door shut, and left without saying a word.

Yet, just as the Seraphim Bladefs shadow vanished off Yuifs door, anotherfs arrived. Sliding the shoji door open in a rush, the twelve-year-old Susanou the God of Storms hurried in, shouting, gWake up, Yui-nee-san! Wake up!h

The pillow flung from Yuifs hand struck the kid on his chest. Staggering, Susanou grunted.

gDid they not tell you to kill the messenger, nee-san?h Susanou picked up the pillow and placed it on Yuifs bed. He gave a start when Yui seized it with her hand and attempted to throw at him again. gOy, oy! I have good news, really!h

gUnless itfs news from Yue, I donft want to hear it!h

gYes! It is!h The dark-haired kid beamed brightly. gYue-nee-san has returned to us.h

Yui leapt from the bed. Before Susanou had time to react, Yui was already standing in front of him, hands gripping his shoulder blades as tightly as possible. He grunted again, this time in a much louder voice. When he looked up at Yuifs face, though, he broke into a warm smile that split his face apart.

gAre you... telling the truth?h trembling wildly, Yui asked.

gYes.h Susanou nodded. gFather brought her back from Reiha.h

gHe... did?h Releasing her brother, Yui clutched her mouth with her hands, trying to swallow a sob. Still, tears flowed uncontrollably down from her eyes.

gYes.h Although Susanou barely stood higher than Yuifs waist, he hugged her tightly and murmured, gWe know you have suffered... ever since Yue-nee-san went away... Yui-nee-san. We know you... missed her a lot. Now go to her.h The kid seemed on the verge of tears, as his voice broke several times before he could finish what he was saying.

gThank you, my dear brother,h Yui cried, sinking to her feet and hugging the little boy as hard as she could without hurting him. gThank you for letting me know.h

gYou are welcome, nee-san,h Susanou said, untangling himself from Yuifs grip. The young God of Storms then patted his small hand on her shoulder and smiled, his eyes shining with unshed tears. gDonft dally here anymore. Go see Yue-nee-san. She is in the Hall of the Morning Sky at the moment. Go.h

Yui didnft really know how she got the strength for it, but she ran as fast as she could out of her room and into the hallway lit by electrical lanterns. Even though she tripped and fell on her stomach a few times before she could get to the Hall of the Morning Sky – where grand ceremonies were held in the presence of the most prominent Gods and Goddesses – the pain was barely noticeable, as endless waves of joy kept washing over her with every step she took. That blissful feeling increased ten-fold the moment she reached the arched entrance of the Hall, the opening behind the doors of which was bustling with people.

Noticing Yuifs arrival, the Immortals quietly drew themselves back to form a clear path. As she passed them by, the High Immortals inclined their heads to show respect, some even smiled at her. Their acting was as abysmal as ever. Yui knew as well as anybody that the men and women in this Hall, most of them from the Celestial Assembly, didnft like her Father, or any of his siblings one bit. Yet, she forgot all about them as her eyes found the beautiful Goddess of the Moon, in her snow-white hagoromo, standing on the dais at the far side of the Hall. Next to her, upon the Throne of Heaven – a large armchair made entirely from precious gemstones – the Lord of Izumo sat, mouth moving as though speaking. When Yui heard what her Father said, she felt as though a steel hammer had slammed on her chest. Dizziness seized her.

gSo, in this joyous day,h Izanagi-sama announced, his stone-cold face showing not a scrap of his proclaimed sentiment, gI hereby adopt Tsukiyomi, the Goddess of the Moon, as my daughter.h He turned to Yue, dark eyes hard and harsh. Yue stared back at him in defiance, hands gripping at her clothes. The girl seemed ready to murder the Lord of Izumo. gI hope she knows how delighted I am to have her join my family.h

As the Hall of the Morning Sky erupted into thunderous applauds and deafening cheers, a terrible chill gripped Yuifs heart. Her head started to sway. Yue... adopted... by Izanagi-sama? What in goodnessfs name was happening here?

Rooted on the floor, Yui stood and watched the High Immortals approaching Izanagi-sama and Yue, shaking their hands, giving them congratulations that were as false as the smiles on the Gods and Goddessesf lips. The Lord of Heaven and the Goddess of the Moon didnft pay much effort to keep up the act, either. The lean, cold-faced man looked as though he wanted to crush the hand of whoever touched his while the silver-haired girl stared icy daggers at the people who attempted to shake hers. Yui couldnft comprehend this. Neither her Father nor Yue was happy about this whole adoption business. Then why the heck did they do it?

Suddenly, Yui noticed the High Immortalsf withdrawal from the Hall of the Morning Sky, bowing away from Izanagi-samafs presence. The ceremony was at the end. Soon, not a soul was left inside the spacious chamber save Yui, Yue, and the Father of All, who peered at each other with various kinds of expressions. The Lord of Heavenfs face became darker and angrier than ever, his eyes glaring at Yui with unspeakable hatred. The Goddess of the Moon, most astonishingly, was not any friendlier. Yuifs heart sank. She wouldnft care in the least bit whether her Father liked her or not but... but... it hurt so much to be looked at that way by the one she loved. What happened to Yue after she was taken back to Reiha? Yui intended to find out.

gYue-chan...h Yui began, moving toward the light of her heart. Her feet stopped, her tongue froze almost immediately after that, for Yue had flung a hand toward her, fingertips ablaze.

gOne more step, and I shall kill you, Goddess of the Sun,h Yue said coldly, silver eyes burning with an intense light. Yui had the feeling her heart just broke. eKill?f Should that be the first thing the girl said to the one whom she lip-locked with several months ago?

gNow, now, Tsukiyomi,h Izanagi-sama said, patting the silver-haired girl on the shoulder. gDo not treat your new sister that way.h

Yuefs hand landed on the manfs face in a loud, painful slap. Yui stared in shock and incredulity at the blood trickling out from the corner of her Fatherfs mouth, and at the red, swollen handprint on his cheek. eWhat the....f

gThat is not how a daughter treats her Father, either, girl,h the Lord of Heaven said while wiping the blood away with a handkerchief taken from one of his inner pockets. Now that was even stranger. Knowing Izanagi-sama, whose temper was like the short fuse of a ton of fireworks waiting for a spark, Yui herself would never have gotten away with that slap without spending a month in the top-security prison of Izumo, if not a dozen. Yet from the look of it, the man never intended to hit the Goddess of the Moon back, much less locking her up in a cell.

gYou know as well as I how much I want to stay away from that woman,h Yue rounded on the Lord of Izumo, forefinger jabbing in Yuifs direction. gWhy did you make me her sister?h Nerve-wrecking pain grabbed Yuifs heart. She staggered a few steps backwards. eStay away? That woman?f What was the meaning of this?

gYui-nee! Yui-nee! Are you alright?h Kagutsuchifs voice called. The young God of Fire and his brother, Susanou, were on Yuifs either side, hands tugging at Yuifs sleeves. eWhen did they arrive?f Yui thought dimly. eHow much have they heard?f

gNee-san, get a hold of yourself, nee-san!h Susanou said almost pleadingly. gPlease, donft cry!h Only then did Yui realize that tears had once again streamed down her cheeks. The boy looked as if he would burst into tears, too.

gBecause I want to make sure that no one gets what I cannot,h Izanagi said to Yue, his tone almost scathing. The silver-haired girlfs lips compressed in a thin line, her whole body trembling in anger. Yui didnft get it. What in the world were they talking about?

gSuit yourself!h The eighteen-year-old Goddess of the Moon spun on her heel, gathered her snow-white hagoromo, and stalked out of the Hall of the Morning Sky, face a thunderhead. When she walked past Yui and her brothers, the girl gave her a disgusted look before she stormed away with an expression that spelled doom to anyone who happened to be in her path.

Yui sank to her knees on the floor, tongue stilled, soul devastated, brain dead. There could be no mistake. Yue... hated her.

gNee-san!h Susanou screamed at the same time Kagutsuchi did. gYui-nee!h

gI see that you have recovered, Amaterasu,h the Lord of Heaven said quietly as he towered above Yuifs head. gIt is about time you do, of course. I expect the Sun to rise soon, do you hear me?h The man left the Hall of the Morning Sky without saying another word. Shortly afterwards, Yui passed out.

 

...

 

On that fateful day, a new chapter of Yuifs life started, a chapter that spanned three millennia, every day of which was written in the ink of tragedy. After that encounter in the Hall of the Morning Sky, Yue humiliated Yui publicly anytime she had onlookers. Those three thousand years had been so hard to live through that she herself was surprised that she survived afterwards. Still, she was glad she did; else she would not be sitting here right at this moment, holding the one she loved in her arms.

gWhy are you crying, Yui-chan?h Yue asked, silver eyes locking at Yuifs golden, voice anxious. The girl dabbed the bed linen with which she covered her naked body at Yuifs face, gently drying off the hot tears that were staining Yuifs cheeks. gWhat is wrong?h

gNothing, Yue-chan,h Yui said, taking her sweetheartfs hand into hers and placed a kiss on its back. gNothing. Donft worry.h

gDo not lie to me.h Yue glared at her. gWho would cry out of nothing?h

gI would.h Yui pressed her lips onto Yuefs, thus most effectively silenced her. The Goddess of the Moon struggled at first, trying to wriggle out of Yuifs arms but she gave up on resisting altogether when Yuifs hand slipped inside the silky cloth and placed itself upon the gentle swells of her chest. Without breaking the kiss, Yui gently laid the other girl on her back on the wooden floor and freed her from the bed linen wrapping around her body. At a snap of Yuifs fingers, the shoji door drew shut.

A few hours later, maybe more, maybe less, Yui and Yue – sitting at each otherfs side, wrapped cozily in one anotherfs arms and the thin bed linen – watched the sun rise through the opening of their room. With Yuefs head on her shoulder, hand on the hollow of her waist, Yui beheld in amazement the wave of golden light that was swallowing up the forsaken land. The dawn had never seemed more breathtaking.

gNe, Yue-chan?h

gYes?h

gLetfs go pay Chikane and Himeko a visit. I bet theyfd want to talk to you again, too.h

gCan we? I thought the laws of Heaven....h She stopped abruptly.

gForbid only Izumofs residents from making any contact with the dwellers of the Human World.h Yui chuckled. gWe are no longer under the authority of the Holy City We can do anything our hearts desire, my love.h

The dazzling face of the silver-haired girl broke into a whole-hearted smile. gI see,h Yue whispered before she captured Yuifs lips in a soul-searing kiss. It took them another while before they finally decided that they should depart to the Human World.

 

***

 

gYoufre not helping, Chikane-chan!h Kurusugawa Himeko complained in frustration and put down the mechanical pencil on her chemistry homework, almost blank except for a few lines that she doubted anyone except her could read, much less understand. About forty minutes ago, she had started working on the assigned ten problems but as far as she could see, she had not found even a clue as to how to solve the first. She blamed the blue-haired girl for this. The Himemiya princess – propping herself on her elbows, chin on her palms, eyes glued on Himeko, lying cheek by jowl with her on the soft mattress – was the underlying cause of all her troubles.

gWhatever do you mean?h Himekofs lover smiled at her in such an innocent way that any jury panel would have found her guilty on the spot.

gStop watching me, please?h she mumbled exasperatedly. The other girl, clad in a simple white yukata that did a poor job at hiding her magnificently curvaceous figure, had never stopped studying Himeko from the moment they woke regardless of whatever Himeko was doing. The Himemiya princess didnft take her eyes away when Himeko put on the pajamas, when she washed her face, when she ate breakfast, when she took out her books and notes from her schoolbag and started working on the chemistry homework.

gHow do you know I was watching you?h To Himekofs surprise, Chikane-chan rolled onto her side and... giggled quietly into her hands. She still managed to look graceful doing that, although Himeko never could understand how. And of course, her sweetheart was as gorgeous as ever.

gUm....h Himeko felt her face heating up. gAnyway, quit that, ne? I canft concentrate,h she said pleadingly.

gWhy can you not concentrate?h The giggle became soft, melodious laughter. The princessfs mirth was definitely improving... at Himekofs expense. She wasnft sure how she felt about that.

gWell, uh, because...h she stuttered. No explanation came. Well, not one that wouldnft embarrass her to death anyway. The truth was that Himeko – she didnft know whether it was an old or a new habit – constantly found herself stealing surreptitious glances at the blue-haired princess just to give a small start when their gazes met. The Himemiya Ojou-samafs sapphire eyes always sparkled with so much affection that she made Himeko blush every single time.

gBut do you really want me to not look at you, Himeko?h Chikane-chan said, lips compressed afterwards as though suppressing another fit of laughter. gFor all I know, you may just cry your heart out and complain that I do not love you anymore.h

gThatfs not....h Himeko closed her mouth with an audible snap. It was true.

Chewing her lips in exasperation and frustration, Himekofs face grew hotter than ever. When she glanced at her image imprinted on the mirror on the far side of the room, she realized that her complexion was as red as the content of any watermelon.

gYou are so fun to tease, you know.h The Himemiya Ojou-sama laughed out loud.

gOf all people in the world, why do you have to imitate Kannazuki Aoi, Chikane-chan?h Himeko muttered.

From the morning after their first night together to the following evening, Himeko had lain snugly in her princessfs arms, listening to her story about how Kannazuki Aoi and Akari grew up and inevitably fell in love. Of course, the other girl didnft leave out the fact that the Original Priestess of the Moon was relentless when it came to teasing the hell out of her beloved. Oh, how Himeko had been shocked realizing that ever since the awakening, such a terrifying habit had transferred into Chikane-chan whole. Now, the blue-haired princess made fun of Himeko and pulled tricks on her at every chance she had. Worse, the other girl didnft even mind doing that in front of the Head Maid either. Kisaragi Otoha-san had burst into laughter yesterday seeing Himeko gagging at her food, which apparently was loaded with shiitake mushroom secretly minced by the princess herself. Himeko had spent the next hour sulking in her room with Chikane-chan locked outside, thumping on the door and begging for forgiveness. Well, Himeko would have let the girl in much earlier had she not realized that when Chikane-chanfs voice was racking with hilarity, she didnft sound sorry at all.

gWhat is wrong with that?h Chikane-chan said, dazzling face brimming with amusement.

gYou arenft afraid youfd make me so angry that I wonft forgive you someday?h Himeko sighed.

gThe possibility of that happening is slim to none,h the other girl said, geven if you only have a tenth of Akaa-chanfs tolerance.h

gI wouldnft be so sure if I were you,h Himeko mumbled.

gWell, I do have my own method to calm you down in that case, however.h

Before Himeko knew it, Chikane-chan had reach out her hands and pulled her into her embrace. Then she kissed her. As the other girl smiled at her warmly afterwards, Himekofs irritation dwindled away. Sighing, she snuggled closer to the one she loved and decided to forget about what just happened. The blue-haired princess was right. As long as Himeko was in her armsf reach, there was just simply no way she could remain mad at her forever. On the other hand, Chikane-chanfs teasing was somewhat... cute, if not quite amusing and enjoyable, although Himeko would die before she admitted that. Furthermore, it wasnft like the cool, calm, and collected Himemiya Ojou-sama had disappeared anyway. Her occasional teasing and typical jokes aside, Himekofs sweetheart had been much more than loving, passionate, and gentle the rest of the time, especially... at night, in bed. She colored furiously.

gYou meanie, Chikane-chan,h she mumbled. It was the Himemiya Ojou-samafs fault that she became a giddy girl who mooned over her lover even when they were lying in each otherfs arms. Yes, it was definitely the other girlfs fault.

gYou cannot imagine how much you sounded like Akaa-chan when you said that, Himeko.h Crystalline laughter echoed in the room.

gNe, whom do you love more, me or her?h Himeko asked as she looked up at the other girl and tugged at the lapel of her yukata, almost sounding jealous. It was a foolish question, as she and the Original Priestess of the Sun were but one and the same person. Yet, she wanted to know.

gContrary to what you may think,h Chikane-chan said quietly, her voice serious. gI am not Kannazuki Aoi. I harbor no feelings toward Kannazuki Akari. The only one I love is you, Kurusugawa Himeko.h Soft, delicate hand caressed Himekofs cheek.

gGood answer,h she murmured happily before she moved in and kissed the blue-haired princess deeply on the lips.

gStop doing that boring homework and have fun with me, Himeko,h the princess said, holding Himeko more tightly. She blushed, wondering what kind of fun the other girl wanted to have.

gYou kept tempting me when you shouldnft, Chikane-chan,h Himeko mumbled against Chikane-chanfs neck. gIfm not smart, you know. I canft afford not doing homework.h She scratched her head worriedly. gAnd we just skipped two days of classes.h

gYou are just working too hard,h the blue-haired princess chuckled softly. gToday is Saturday; give yourself a break. Letfs go out side and have a little bit of fresh air, ne. We have stayed in here for too long, I think.h

Himeko blushed harder. Indeed, during the last two days, they had spent almost all of their time in this room. Well, Himeko and her beloved mainly sat next to one another and talked to their heartsf content, once in a while enjoyed a few kisses, or indulged themselves in each otherfs company. Still, the people in the Mansion didnft seem able to believe that. Himeko was once almost embarrassed to death upon hearing two maids wondering out loud ghow Ojou-sama and Kurusugawa-sama got the energy to keep it up.h While she was standing stiffly like a lamp post, red-faced, Chikane-chan had doubled over laughing and startled the poor, mistaken women. Like Himeko, the two had not gotten used to this new aspect of their Ojou-samafs personality yet. This time, she blamed Kannazuki Aoi for it.

gGo out?h Himeko cleared her throat. gAs in a date, ne?h

gYes,h the other girl nodded, softly nuzzling her nose against that of Himeko. gWe have never gone on a real date, have we?h

gBut your parents are coming home shortly,h Himeko said, tapping her lips thoughtfully. gShouldnft we stay here and wait?h

gNo need.h The Himemiya princess smiled. gTheir flight will not arrive until eight in the evening. And it is only eight in the morning now. We can go on our date and still be able to return before they can get out of the airport.h

gOkay, then,h Himeko said while gathering her notes and books and pencil on the bed back into her school bag. gWhere do you want to go?h

gHow about we go see a movie, have lunch, and then visit that puppy of yours?h For reasons incomprehensible, Himeko saw a strange glint in Chikane-chanfs sapphire eyes when she mentioned the movie. Was Himeko... just thinking too much?

gSounds great to me.h

The smile that bloomed on her princessfs lips was definitely suspicious.

 

***

 

gWhat is the next item on the reports, Fuyura?h sitting on the armchair behind her large desk in her office, Izanami said while trying to reorganize the files in her computer. After a few futile attempts of deleting out-dated documents and creating new folders and directories, she gave up in an exasperated sigh. Book-keeping, electronic or no, was just not her strong point. Maybe she needed to let Fuyura at it for a while. The girl was good at this stuff. Once, Izanami had had the chance to look at her Chancellorfs holographic monitor screen and be amazed at how cleanly and systematically organized her files were.

Izanami chuckled in amusement. It just happened two days ago, actually, when Izanami accidentally erased a document she was viewing. Since it was a joint report from the Landscape and Environment Bureau and the Soul Administration Bureau, who were asking for larger shares of budgets in expanding the Heart of the Underworld due to the sudden rush of immigrants from Izumo to Reiha, it was extremely important and needed to be dealt with in a timely fashion. Of course, she could never ask the Bureaus to send her that file again; they would fall over laughing to death. Who had ever heard of the head of a country being a failure when it came to electronics anyway? Which was why she had secretly snuck into Fuyurafs office after purposely sending the girl out for an errand and attempted to retrieve that same file. She did, but she also came across something else that was definitely more interesting.

It turned out that Fuyura had a folder somewhere in her Virtual Drives, where she stashed pictures she had surreptitiously taken of Izanami. It had been very heart-warming and enjoyable going through them, watching herself in various expressions and poses in the pictures, although Fuyura certainly did not think that way. The girl had fainted dead once she had opened the door to her office and found her target of affection completely engrossed in browsing through her gsecreth older. Once Fuyura had regained consciousness, she had literally shoved Izanami out of her office and declined any of Izanamifs attempts to apologize. Even now, after Izanami had summoned the girl here and forced her to go through the daily reports, the young Chancellor still hid her face behind her PDAfs holographic screen and avoided looking Izanami in the eye. The dark-haired girl... was just plain adorable.

gIt seems that the coalition between the ISR Agents and the Holy Messengers of Izumo have successfully restored order to the Human World, as the Treaty has specified, Izanami-sama,h Fuyura muttered sullenly. She had not been very pleased receiving the order that she had better come into Izanamifs office and do her duties or be dragged in by the scruff of her neck, by her own sisterfs hand. gWith the assistance of the Mirror of Life, the memories of the Earthlings have been completely modified. And of course, no traces of destruction were left, thanks to the hardworking people in the Landscape and Environment Bureau.h

gThat is good then.h Izanami nodded. gRemind me to give praises to the Bureau and the Agency later.h

gAs you wish, my Lady.h Fuyura inclined her head in acquiescence. gIf you have no further instruction for me....h

gI do, actually.h

gWhat may it be, Izanami-sama?h

gI want you to get rid of your collection as soon as you return to your computer today.h Izanami rose from her chair and walked toward the young Chancellor. The girlfs face paled, her whole body starting to quiver in shock... and rage. gAnd I also want you to vacate your office immediately.h

gWhy?h Fuyura said, voice strained, fist clenched, shoulders shook. gDoes that mean you want to deprive me of even the right to look at the one I love? Do you mean to fire me and chase me away from Reiha while you are at it, too?h A good many Immortals working for Izanami in Reiha, if not most, were afraid of voicing their thoughts and opinions even though sometimes she was the one who made mistakes. Tsukazaki Fuyura was not among those. Being the straight arrow that she was, the girl would march into Izanamifs office and said to her face what she had done wrong without a scrap of deference. A strange thing, that, for the girlfs blood sister, Tsukazaki Haruhi herself, did not seem as keen in speaking out.

gNo,h Izanami said and leaned in. gThere is no need for pictures when you can look at me every single day, is there?h She kissed the girl. The young Chancellor stiffened visibly; yet a heartbeat later, she yielded beneath Izanamifs lips and returned the kiss. As Fuyurafs arms tightened around Izanamifs back, the PDA in her hand fell and cracked open upon the floor.

Izanami once thought that she did not share her daughterfs particular interest in women. It turned out she was wrong. Ever since she learned that Tsukazaki Fuyura harbored a deep crush on her, things had changed, and she found her fondness for the girl growing after every time they exchanged words. The young Chancellor was a brilliant and witty conversationalist – although her views on dealings with other people were a little bit on the extreme side – a very efficient employee, and the most lovable partner one could wish for in Izanamifs opinion. She had no idea how she never noticed how cute Fuyura was the moment the girl came to the Underworld.

gYou have changed your mind?h Fuyura said breathlessly. When she confessed to Izanami a while ago, Izanami had turned her down with the excuse that she did not like the girl enough to take her for a lover. Fuyura had looked so crestfallen, so heartbroken at that time that right now, Izanamifs chest hurt just from recalling it. She wondered how she could have been so cruel.

gYes, Fuyura,h Izanami said. gWas I too late?h

gYou will never be late,h Fuyura said, hugging Izanami more tightly. gHad you made me wait for another hundred years or even a thousand years, you will still never be late.h

gThank you,h Izanami said, gently raking her fingers in her young subordinatefs black, glossy hair.

gThen what is the deal with telling me to vacate my office?h The young Chancellor looked up at her. In love or not in love, the girl looked ready to give Izanami an earful should she be given the wrong answer. Izanami chuckled. She liked this kind of outspoken attitude.

gBecause I cannot stand having you work in a different room,h Izanami said. gFrom tomorrow onward, my office will also be yours. Of course, I will have a new working station brought in here for you, too.h

gDo I get a raise in pay as well? Or a promotion?h Fuyura mumbled against Izanamifs chest.

gI will think about the first one.h Izanami smiled. gAbout the other, do not be greedy. You are already second in command. Unless you want to take over my job.h

gDonft want it,h the young Chancellor murmured. gToo much work. Not that enviable.h

gVery well.h Izanami laughed softly, holding the girl closer.

gIzanami-sama?h

gStop calling me with the honorific.h

gIt is not proper for one to address onefs superior plainly by her name. It will cause dissension in ranks. You do not want that.h

gIt is proper when we are alone, is it not?h Izanami said.

gSure,h Fuyura said after a while. gI... Izanami?h

gYes?h Izanami smiled.

gCan I keep my picture collection?h the young Chancellor blushed faintly.

gWhy?h

gI have been keeping them for so long that... I do not have the heart to erase them anymore.h Fuyura mumbled softly.

gHow long have you been gathering those?h

gErr....h The crimson color on the dark-haired girlfs cheeks deepened. gThree thousand years and a half,h she mumbled almost inaudibly. In other words, ever since the girl came to Reiha after she graduated from the Academy. Annoyance flashed across her lovely face as Izanami broke into laughter, though.

gOh, really?h Izanami pinched her subordinatefs cheek. gWhy did you only confess to me a short while ago?h

gI did not have the courage, or the opportunity,h Fuyura muttered. gThat control freak Haruhi kept sticking to me and refused to leave me alone until she went off to Onogoro for that mission.h

gI do not know whether I should thank her or punish her, now.h Izanami laughed.

gPunish. Definitely punish. How about you demote her?h Fuyura asked hopefully. gOr maybe ground her in Reiha or forbid her from dating any man?h

gDo you not think such punishments will only give me more chances to bother you and your... precious, little sister?h Tsukazaki Haruhifs voice said dryly from the door, which Izanami had no idea when it opened. Hastily, Fuyura scrambled away from Izanamifs hold and stood stiffly a good armfs length away, face beet-red. She apparently was too busy avoiding looking at her elder sister that she forgot about her broken PDA lying on the carpeted floor.

gForgive my intrusion, Izanami-sama,h Haruhi bowed, hand on her heart. gI knocked, but no answer came.h A knowing smile curved the girlfs lips. gI would have left, but it is imperative that I speak with you.h

gWhat is it?h Izanami said calmly while leaning against her desk. Tsukazaki Haruhi did not mention how long she had been standing at the door, listening to Izanami and Fuyurafs love-love conversation. Well, not that it mattered anyway.

gA notice from the Citadel, my Lady,h came the replied from her other Chancellor. gIt was marked as urgent.h

gShow me.h Izanami frowned. She had not received anything from the Citadel for as long as she could remember. Why now?

Holding the small, rectangular piece of platinum in her hand, Izanami let her mind delve into the thing and read it content. Then she put it on the table.

gI have personal business to attend to, so would you leave me on my own for now?h Izanami said quietly.

gAs you command, my Lady,h Haruhi and Fuyura said in unison and bowed to her.

gOne moment, Fuyura,h Izanami said when she saw the twin sisters start toward the door. gCome here.h Fuyura blushed hotly as her sister held a hand over her mouth and laughed.

gCome to my quarters tonight. We will have dinner together,h Izanami whispered into the young Chancellorfs ear, bringing a brilliant smile to her lips. gNow go gather your belongings and ready to work here tomorrow.h

gYes, Izanami-sama,h the girl whispered back. Then she kissed Izanami lightly on the lips and murmured, gSee you later. Do not fall for other girls while I am not around, ne.h Haruhi blinked in shock. Apparently, she had never seen her little sister acting so bold. Neither did Izanami. Not that she had any objection, of course.

Once the door had closed behind Izanamifs young Chancellors, she sat down on her chair and opened a direct communication channel to Izanagifs study in Izumo.

gWhat?h the infuriating man demanded from the holographic screen, face darker than ever. He had not adapted very well with the lack of Tsukiyomifs presence in Izumo, it would seem. She would not say she sympathized with him in the least bit, though.

gHave you received the notice from the Citadel as well?h

gYes,h Izanagi answered curtly.

gWhy do you think she wants to come here?h Izanami propped her elbows on the surface of the desk, worries clawing at her stomach.

gNo idea,h Izanagi actually sighed. gWhy do you ask me anyway? Kristall Aria was your best friend before she ascended to the High Chronicler position, was she not?h

gTrue.h Izanami nodded. gBut we have not met ever since you and I were assigned to this Star System. We did not keep in touch either.h

gWell, then probably she just wants to renew your friendship?h

gI hope so,h Izanami said, ignoring the scorn in Izanagifs voice. gWhat do you want to do, now? Kristall is the High Chronicler, Watcher of the Regents, after all. We need to give her a grand welcome, or the Board of Regents will look down on us.h

gFine,h Izanagi muttered. gCome to Izumo. We will start planning.h

gWhy not Reiha?h Izanami smiled. gIt is quite pretty here, you know. Oh, forgive me. I forgot you hate the Sealing Field.h

The creep favored her with a poisonous glare before he closed the communication channel.

Still, this was truly unusual for Kristall Aria – the Lady Aria, High Chronicler of the Eons, Watcher of the Regents, and personal Advisor to the Empress herself – to even want to travel to such a faraway and unknown System. She doubted all that Kristall wanted was the renewal of their friendship during their Academy years in the Citadel. Izanami raked her hair in puzzlement. Whatever her long time friend wished, the woman was going to cause trouble to Izanami for sure. Fuyura was not going to like this.

 

***

 

gIt looks like they arenft home, Yue-chan,h Yui said, settling down on the king-sized bed.

gYou know,h the Goddess of the Moon muttered, standing rigidly in the center of the spacious quarters, gyou should not have opened that Dimensional Portal directly into Himeko and Chikanefs room. You could have just come to the front door and ask for them.h

gOh come on, you act as though they are strangers.h Yui laughed softly and let her body fall onto the firm mattress.

gNot that,h the Goddess of the Moon said irritably, her hands clutching the front of her hagoromo as though trying to rip it off. Now this was strange. Annoyance was plain on the dazzling face of Yuifs sweetheart, as expected from her tone, but there was something else, too. If Yui had to guess, it was relief. Yui was confused.

gThen what?h

gHave you no sense of privacy, Yui-chan?h

gWhat do you mean?h Yui asked curiously.

gWhat if we had walked in on them... doing that?h Yue muttered, face going red. gWould it not be awkward for all of us?h

Yui burst into laughter.

gDid I say something funny?h The silver-haired girl narrowed her eyes dangerously.

gYou pervert, Yue-chan.h Yui wiped a tear from her eye, trying to suppress her mirth. It was difficult, really. gItfs midday, for Heavenfs sake. They couldnft have been going at it!h

The Goddess of the Moon opened her mouth as if attempting to protest and closed it firmly a second later, probably having realized that she was going to say something that a decent girl should not. Afterwards, she gave an exasperated sigh and sat down on the bed, slightly shaking her head. Yui had to try harder not to laugh. This was all too amusing.

gWhere do you think they are?h Yue said.

gNot sure.h Yui sat up straight, smiling at her sweetheart. gMaybe at an amusement park or somewhere, doing the typical dating lovey-dovey stuff?h

gBad timing on our part,h Yue muttered. gAnd bad planning too. We should have given them a notice first.h

gYeah,h Yui nodded. gWhat are we going to do now? Go looking for them?h

gNo, let them have fun by themselves.h Yue shook her head after she had shot Yui an annoyed look. gI do not think they would appreciate anyone butting into their date. Would you?h

gDefinitely not,h Yui said.

gLet us return to the Shrine, then.h

gWhat? Back to bed? Again? So soon?h Yui joked, feigning innocence at the Goddess of the Moon, who quivered as if struck. Yet, since spots of crimson were blooming fiercely on the silver-haired girlfs cheeks while her lovely lips thinned sullenly in a straight line, perhaps Yuifs guess was not that far away from its target.

gLet us leave a note here somewhere for them and return to the Shrine,h Yue said finally. gWe shall come visit them later.h

gSure.h

The sound of a car stopping from outside the room reached Yuifs ear, which inevitably lit a smile on her sweetheartfs lips. The silver-haired girl walked to the window and peered downward.

gThe children?h Yui asked. She knew the answer even before Yue opened her mouth and spoke, as the smile had slid off the girlfs face almost an instant after she looked.

gNo,h Yue said. gIt is their biological parents. Himemiya Kyou, Himemiya Kimika, a girl whose face I recognize but whose name I cannot recall.... I wonder who she is. Why are you frowning all of a sudden, Yui-chan?h

gI just sensed a gate-in signal,h Yui said grimly, turning around. gSomeone is coming here.h

No sooner had she finished than silvery sparks emerging from thin air started to coalesce into an oval vertical disc of light. It was a Dimensional Portal. They both raised their hands, celestial powers on the verge of release. Nothing destructive, of course, for she suspected Chikane and Himeko wouldnft be very pleased to return to their room just to find a big mess. What she readied at her fingertips, perhaps as did Yue, was but a binding spell to restrain the newcomer should need arise. It never did. They lowered their guard as soon as they recognized Tsukazaki Haruhifs noble features.

gPraises be to your names, Goddesses of the Sun and Moon.h The young Chancellor of Reiha gave them a solemn bow with hand on her heart.

gHaru-chan!h Yui laughed softly as she stepped forward and pulled the dark-haired girl into a warm hug.

gYui-sama, how have you been doing?h Upon being released from Yuifs arm, Haruhi smiled and said, managing even a little bit of fondness into her usually cold voice. gThe Rosenkyuu misses you.h An amused smile curved her lips as her gaze traveled to the third girl in the room, Yue, who looked suspiciously like someone who had a bottleful of vinegar forced down her throat. gYou too, of course, Tsukiyomi-sama.h Haruhi made it sound as though an afterthought, probably on purpose.

gI am sure it does,h Yue said in a strained voice and shot Haruhi a heated glare afterwards. Oh yeah, Yui forgot. The Goddess of the Moon got jealous fairly easily. All it took to ignite the flame inside her heart, all it took to raise a forest of thorns within her soul, was probably as simple as a look at another woman. And Yui just gave Tsukazaki Haruhi a hug.... Yui swallowed. This was not going to be good.... She guessed she should put more distance between her and Haruhi. Yui stepped back. The glare cooled down somewhat. For some reason though, Yue looked awfully cute when she was jealous....

gSo, you came to see us, I guess?h Yui cleared her throat, wondering whether she should cut back on the gHaru-chanh bit also.

gYes, Izanami-sama wishes to meet with both of you, Yui-sama, Tsukiyomi-sama.h The Chancellor nodded.

gVery well,h Yui said. gLetfs go see her, then.h

The grip Yue placed on Yuifs arm when they walked past the Portal Haruhi created was much firmer than usual, and the other girl was resting her head on Yuifs shoulder, pressing her body as close to Yuifs as public decency permitted. It was as if the girl wanted to prove to Haruhi that she was Yuifs girlfriend. Yes, absolutely adorable indeed. Yui chuckled quietly to herself. Maybe she should try to make Yue jealous more often. Maybe Haruhi would even lend help.

 

***

 

gDanna-sama, Oku-sama,h Kisaragi Otoha said, bowing deeply to the Master and Mistress of the Himemiya Mansion at the doorstep. gWe welcome you back.h Every manservant and maid in the Mansion, standing behind Otoha, echoed her in unison.

gWe are home, Otoha-san,h Himemiya Kyou-sama said. Even at the age of fifty, the tall, lean twenty-ninth Leader of the ancient, utterly wealthy, and exceedingly powerful Himemiya Clan still managed to look not a day beyond thirty. Short and somewhat gray hair framed a face any woman would call pretty, yet a face no man would say soft. In his grave black suit and necktie, he was the very picture of formality, propriety, and willpower. Strict and quite unrelenting, the Master could make a stone weep if he tried hard enough. He became a totally different, if not opposite, man when it came to his beloved daughter, though. There had been times when Otoha thought that Ojou-sama could twirl the man around her fingers.

gYou have worked hard in our absence, Otoha-san, so I thank you.h Himemiya Kimika-sama smiled and patted Otoha warmly on her shoulder. No older than the Master of the Himemiya Clan, yet appearing much younger, the Mistress was pretty in her well-cut dress and coat, undoubtedly made from the most expensive material and with the best hand. Yet, she in her finest dress, jewelry, and makeup would still pale beside her daughter in plain clothes. Well, that was hardly a surprise, actually. No one looked pretty compared to Himemiya Chikane-sama, of course.

gIt is my pleasure and my honor, Oku-sama.h Otoha gave another bow and motioned the servants to clear a path for the Master and the Mistress. Her breath caught, however, when she straightened up and her eyes fell on the person standing behind Kyou-sama and Kimika-sama. It was a pretty girl roughly Chikane-samafs age whose long black hair was tied into a neat pony-tail hanging at her front, whose eyes sparkled emerald under the glorious sunlight, whose clothes were as colorful as any stage performer. She was Ojou-samafs distant cousin. Himemiya... Kotone! What the heck is the brat doing here?

Quickly hiding her surprise, Otoha dismissed the other servants to their duties and fell in behind Kyou-sama and Kimika-sama as they walked into the Mansion.

gOur house is still as clean and tidy as always. Very good.h Kyou-sama said to no one in particular, but Otoha knew that the compliment was for her.

gIf I may ask, sir, why are you home so soon?h Otoha said. gWe are not expecting your arrival until the evening.h

gThe business meeting was adjourned earlier than we thought,h Kimika-sama smiled and said. gSo Kyou-chan and I decided that we would change the schedule and come back to Japan sooner. Besides, we miss Chikane dearly, you would understand.h

gAll is well with my wayward, stubborn, and disobedient daughter, I trust?h Kyou-sama laughed softly, sounding very fond.

gIf you mean her health, Danna-sama,h Otoha replied, gthen all is well.h Kyou-sama and Kimika-sama stopped abruptly and turned toward Otoha, worry plain on their faces. She almost smiled in satisfaction.

gDid something happen, Otoha-san?h Kimika-sama asked, anxiety racking her pretty voice. gTrouble?h

gCome to think of it, where is she?h Kyou-sama demanded, frowning. gWhy did she not come to greet her parents?h

gOjou-sama has gone to see a movie, sir, with her girlfriend.h Otoha delivered that smoothly and levelly, with a distinct stress upon a certain word, despite the anger bubbling in her heart. She had not been pleased at all being told that Chikane-sama and Kurusugawa were going to see a movie... in a dimly lit theater... probably with very few people around... doing Heaven knew what. On a bright note, though, Kurusugawa Himeko was not going to enjoy this. Oh no, she wouldnft! Otoha cackled gleefully in her head.

gOh, a girl friend?h Kimika-sama chortled in delight, totally missing the hidden meaning. Otoha almost tskfed in irritation. gSo my aloof daughter has finally made a friend? A movie, you say?h Kimika-sama turned to her husband and wrapped her arm around his, smiling brightly. gIs this not amazing, Kyou-chan?h

gIndeed.h Himemiya Kyou-sama smiled indulgently. gIt is good for her to leave the house once in a while. Her social skills would benefit, of course.h

gSo, who is this friend?h Kimika-sama asked, face still glowing with joy. gWhy did Chikane not tell us about her?h

gPerhaps Ojou-sama thinks that it is not yet time for her romantic interest to meet the parents, mafam?h Otoha allowed. The effect was immediate, the blank stares she received from her Master and Mistress most fascinatingly satisfying. They finally understood,

 gOh I get it, a girlfriend.h Himemiya Kotone chuckled softly. A glance over Otohafs shoulder showed her the sight of the brat, nodding to herself in somewhat of a delighted manner. If the girl was surprised, she did not give the smallest evidence that she was. gTook her long enough, I guess,h Kotone continued in a small voice that perhaps was not meant to be heard. Otoha gave her a sharp look, which she completely ignored.

gHow long... has this gone on?h Kyou-sama said, his voice deadly quiet. Next to him, Kimika-sama stood, eyeballs almost trying to jump out of her sockets. Poor lady. She had spent hours after hours on a plane to come home and see her beloved daughter just to be greeted with this devastating news? Poor lady.

gI know nothing, Danna-sama,h Otoha replied, gexcept for the fact that Kurusugawa Himeko-sama moved into Ojou-samafs room two days ago.h

gKurusugawa Himeko, moved in, two days ago,h the Master of the Himemiya Mansion repeated flatly. gVery well, come with me to my study, Otoha-san. We need to talk.h The twenty-ninth Leader of the Clan spun on his heel and strode forward, looking terribly angry and shocked. Kurusugawa would regret ever coming into the Himemiya princessfs life after this, that Otoha was sure.

gMy pleasure,h Otoha said, trailing after her Master and Mistress. Himemiya Kotone, most surprisingly, followed suit. She seemed eager. Otoha wondered why. One would have thought that the news would not sit well with her, at all, considering how last year she just....

 

***

 

Himemiya Chikane was very uncomfortable right now, but it had nothing to do with the scary, gory images flashing on the projection screen inside the movie theater. She was feeling unwell – or to use a more precise word, guilty – because the person sitting on the chair next to hers, Kurusugawa Himeko, the love of her life, was apparently frightened out of her wits. The girl was holding onto Chikanefs arm tightly with both of hers, twitching violently every time the vampire in the movie sank its fangs into a random victimfs body... or ripped their arm or leg off. Yet, for reasons incomprehensible, the little angel still glued her eyes at the screen as though she liked watching it. Chikane knew for a fact that the girl didnft. She almost wanted to scratch her head. Why?

For something that had started out so well, this scheme of hers was rolling downhill rather too fast.

 

...

 

gLetfs see this one, Himeko,h Chikane-said, pointing at one of the numerous movie posters outside the theater. The little angelfs face paled a little.

gIsnft it a horror movie, Chikane-chan?h the golden-haired girl asked, voice trembling slightly. Apparently, she did not find the picture of a man – face dripping with blood, eyes blazing in anger and hatred, mouth baring sickly yellow fangs and sharp teeth – appealing. Well, Chikane did not, either. She had never been a fan of scary movies. To her, they were just pathetic attempts to frighten the faint of heart.

gYes.h Chikane nodded, smiling at her little angel. gIs there something wrong?h

gUh... no.h Himeko shook her head hastily, trying her best to smile. As expected, the golden-haired girl would never refuse Chikane anything in her power whether she liked it or not. Chikane felt a little bit awful taking advantage of the girlfs unending love toward her so... but only a little bit. Fun came first. Besides, even if she somehow ended up making Himeko mad, it should still be no big deal. The little angelfs anger, however hot it was, would cool down as soon as Chikane could wrap her arms around the girl and gave her a kiss on the lips.

gThen follow me,h Chikane said, taking the golden-haired girlfs hand in hers and pulling her along. gLetfs go get us tickets.h

 She had always known that Himeko was easily scared. She had always known that the little angel was deathly afraid of pitch darkness. The night before, when the clouds blocked the moonlight from the heavens, she had lain in Chikanefs arms and quivered for a good thirty minutes after Chikane turned off the bed lamp with the false excuse that she could not sleep because it was too bright. No amount of kisses on Himekofs lips or soothing strokes on her back had calmed the girl down until Chikane decided the joke was scaring the heck out of Himeko and turned the light back on. And of course, the mere thought of spending two hours in a dimly lit theater while a horror movie was playing should give the girl the creeps.

 

...

 

Yes, it was but another prank Chikane intended to play on the little angel. All she wanted to know was how long it would take Himeko to ask Chikane to leave. She had wagered on fifteen minutes, as she had heard that Return of the Vampire was scary from the first second to the last, but Himeko had not let out a word of plea even though it was half-way through the movie already. It was not going well, for Chikane thought that should the angel become any more frightened, she might just break down and faint dead. It was definitely not going well at all.

gHimeko, are you alright?h Chikane asked. gWe can leave if you wish to.h This had gone too far, really. Chikane would rather admit defeat than having Himeko scared to death because of a joke that had stopped being amusing fifteen minutes ago.

gNo, letfs stay,h Himeko mumbled, voice trembling wildly the way her body was.

gWhy?h Chikane asked, shocked. gYou obviously do not like this.h

gBut you do, donft you, Chikane-chan?h Himeko said, eyes still glued at the screen.

gThat does not mean you have to watch it for my sake, you know,h Chikane pointed out.

gItfs not a matter of ehave tof when I want to, Chikane-chan,h the little angel muttered. gIf I donft, whofs going to talk about it with you afterwards? Isnft that what people always do after they go see a movie?h

gYou still watch even though it scares you... because of that?h Chikane said faintly.

gI just want you to have fun, preferably with me, thatfs all.h Even in the darkness of the theater, Himekofs blush was plain. Her grip on Chikanefs arm became softer and much more loving before it tightened in fright because the boring vampire in the movie had just found yet another utterly brainless human from whom he sucked blood and eventually massacred. But Chikane did not care about them now, did she?

gWe are leaving,h Chikane whispered into Himekofs ear before she took the little angelfs arm and stood up, pulling the girl along. Together, they treaded carefully down the steps and left the screening room shortly after. Once they were out in the hallway, littered with people chatting excitedly about the movie they just saw or were about to, Chikane wrapped her arms around her sweetheart and claimed her soft, honey lips. It happened so quickly that Himeko barely had time to be surprised before she put her arms around Chikanefs neck, rose on her toes, and daringly returned the kiss.

gWhatfs with you, Chikane-chan?h Himeko said, amethyst eyes glancing at her surrounding, cheeks warming up so rapidly Chikane could even feel the heat wafting off. The hallway had become deathly quiet as though someone had found the gMuteh button and pressed it. The people nearby, men and women alike, were looking at them, some in shock, some in amusement, and some, disgust. Parents, who failed to act in time to cover their childrenfs eyes, hastily led the kids away while muttering things under their breath. Undoubtedly curses, those. However, a good many remained, seemingly quite interested in seeing what was going to happen next between two girls in matching outfits, who just engaged in a steamy kiss where everyone could see.

gI am sorry, Himeko,h Chikane apologized.

gFor what?h The inquiry came with a smile and a tilting of the girlfs head. Somewhere in the background, someone chuckled, which Chikane was unsure whether from sarcasm or amusement. Yet, she still did not care, as the girl she loved was looking at her with a fond yet exasperated expression. gWhat have you done to me this time?h

gWell,h Chikane cleared her throat and told the little angel everything.

She regretted it right away.

The disaster began with the fading of the color from Himekofs cheek, followed by the drop of her arms from Chikanefs body and the arrival of a horrified look upon her face. Then the girl broke out crying. Chikane felt as though something just gnawed at her heart. She had never thought she would make the little angel shed even a drop of tear one day.

gI have no excuse, but forgive me, Himeko, please,h Chikane pleaded. When she tried to hug the girl, Himeko slipped away and refused to let her. It seemed Chikane had finally managed to tick the little angel off. Now how was she going to get out of this? She scratched her cheek, her serene façade cracking like egg on a rock. She only wished she could lay hands on Kannazuki Aoifs neck and strangle her.

 Himeko turned around, tears still dripping off her face, amazingly lovely even when sad. Noise rose around them in quiet murmurs. People, standing in clusters, were whispering something into their respective companionsf ears. The girl only wept harder.

Realizing that it was not a good idea to let Himeko cry in front of strangers, Chikane scooped the girl into her own arms and hurried out of the theater. In the beginning, Himeko struggled desperately, crying while demanding that she be put back on her feet. When the little angel learned that Chikane was not going to do what she wanted, she settled with gripping the front of Chikanefs white blouse and continued weeping. Ignoring the people who went wide-eyed at them on the way, Chikane walked faster.

A while later, Himeko sat on a bench in an empty corner of the park right in front of the movie theater, still crying her eyes out, and brushed Chikanefs hand off whenever Chikane tried to touch her. The girl never acknowledged Chikanefs heartfelt apologies, either. Now, Chikane was seriously afraid. She had never thought it possible, but if she was not going to do anything soon, she might just have to sleep in a different room tonight. After two days of cuddling Himeko in her arms whenever they went to bed, she doubted she could live through a night all on her own.

gHimeko, please, listen to me, I....h

gTo think that I even wanted to make her happy! To think that I had sat through those scary things for her sake!h The little angel never raised her voice; she merely mumbled things to herself while burying her face in her hands and wept. Yet, Chikane would have felt a whole lot better had the golden-haired girl just shouted at her... or snapped her head off. Chikane sighed and cursed herself for letting Kannazuki Aoifs nasty habit getting the best of her. Chikane sighed again. She guessed there was no other way. She stretched her arm backward as far as she could.

The first slap Chikane landed upon her own face made a storm of fireflies erupted in her vision. The little angel stopped crying immediately as she gave a violent start. The second slap, on the other cheek this time, almost unhinged Chikanefs jaw. Slowly, blood trickled out of her mouthfs corner, and her face became so swollen that she thought any touch would burst it like a needle would a bubble. Still, her hand rose once more.

gStop that, Chikane-chan!h Himeko cried in panic, grabbing Chikanefs hand with both of hers. gWhatfre you doing?h

gI was mean to you, Himeko; I made you angry,h Chikane said. gEvidently I have to take punishments.h

gShouldnft I be the one to decide that?h the little angel said quietly after a moment, amethyst eyes shining in the sunlight. Dimly, Chikane noticed that they were not wet, but only very dimly. Regret, guilt, and shame were all but occupied her heart.

gThen punish me however you want. I will have no objection as long as you forgive me afterwards.h

gHowever I want? Whatever I want?h Chikanefs sweetheartfs expression grew grim at the same time her voice turned hard. She looked... dangerous. She looked... deadly. She looked... beautiful.

gYes,h Chikane said firmly.

gThen itfs decided. Youfre going to help me with my homework from now on, okay? Ifm really bad at the natural science subjects,h the golden-haired girl said ruefully, wiping the trails of her tears off her face with her sleeves.

gThat is all?h Chikane blinked. gI was thinking something like kneeling here all day or running laps around the park.h

gWhy? Youfre hurt badly enough already,h Himeko said, both of her gentle hands caressed Chikanefs swollen cheeks with a painful expression on her own face. Then she took out her handkerchief and tenderly cleaned the blood off the corners of Chikanefs lips. gDonft hit yourself so hard ever again, ne.h

gYou are not angry any more?h Chikane took the little angelfs hand into hers and pressed it against her cheek. Pain jolted, but was quickly subdued and forgotten by the softness and silkiness of the girlfs touch. Chikane could even feel her loverfs heart through the pulse, beating in a quiet melody.

gIfd stopped being angry even before we arrived at the park.h The little angel laughed softly.

gEh!h Chikane stared at the golden-haired girl in shock. gYou were pretending the whole time?h

gYep.h Himeko stuck out her tongue at Chikane, face brimming with hilarity. gWhy do you think I hid my face in my hands?h

gYou....h So that was what it meant to ghave a taste of your own medicineh. It was surprising though. She did not believe Kannazuki Akari herself had ever considered the idea of payback. Something had definitely changed in the course of three thousand years.

gServes you right, in any case,h Himeko said, sticking out her tongue again. gWho told you to toy with me?h Her expression turned a trifle sad afterwards, however. gI didnft expect you to slap yourself, though. Ifm sorry. It still hurts, doesnft it?h The little angelfs face drew closer, her voice growing quieter, sweeter, and much more alluring.

gA little bit,h Chikane replied, turning her face aside.

gPoor you,h Himeko said and placed her soft lips upon Chikanefs swollen left cheek, then her right, and finally her lips. They kissed over and over again, probably would not have stopped any time soon had they not heard the sound of people approaching. It turned out to be a couple, who seemed to be looking for a place to... perhaps share a few moments of intimacy. The young man and the woman, well-matched and well-dressed, had arched their eyebrows at Chikane and Himeko, who rose from the bench and walked away giggling to each other. Treading along the streets of downtown hand-in-hand with the little angel, Chikane silently vowed that she never again would tease her sweetheart. Himeko forgave her this time but there was no telling whether the girl would next time. The mere thought scared Chikane witless.

 

***

 

Himemiya Kotone, standing against a wall in her Uncle Kyoufs study, quietly observed the Head Maid Kisaragi Otoha withdrawing, closing the door behind her with a small click. Kotonefs lips curved into a little smile. The woman was hysterical, although no one would know that unless they looked into her eyes and discovered the gleeful gleam that appeared whenever she succeeded in landing a subtle blow at Kurusugawa Himekofs image with her ill-willed stories, which the Head Maid claimed absolutely correct. By the time the woman was done, Chikanefs newfound lover had come out bearing a striking resemblance to a blood-sucking leech, only much more shameless and clingy. Otoha was good; Kotone had to give her that. She managed to splash a whole load of mud onto Kurusugawa without dirtying herself, without even letting Kotonefs Aunt and Uncle become aware of her raging jealousy. The Head Maid was indeed dangerous.

Kotone chuckled softly. Chikane was going to have one hell of a time clearing her new lovefs name after this.

gThis is unthinkable!h Kotonefs Uncle – lounging on the sofa in the center of the room, next to his wife – declared heatedly. gUnthinkable! We must break them up!h

gKyou-chan, dear,h Kimika said, hand on her husbandfs shoulder. gCalm down.h

gHow can I?h Kyou muttered. gWe surely did not bring her up just so she could take another girl for her romantic interest!h

gLove is a strange thing, dear.h Kotonefs Aunt sighed. gWho are we to tell who she can fall in love with?h

gNot love!h The twenty-ninth leader of the Himemiya Clan slammed his hand upon the arm of the sofa. gShe merely mistakes her affection for a friend for love, that is all! What does a seventeen-year-old know?h Kotone simply smiled and refrained from pointing out that Himemiya Kyou was barely older than his daughter was when he became infatuated with a certain someone. From the twinkle in her Auntfs eyes and the tightness around her mouthfs corners, she was trying her best not to say the same thing. gIt surely cannot be love!h

gWhat if it is?h Himemiya Kimika said gently.

gEven if it is, we still cannot allow it!h Kyou insisted. gNot with a questionable person like Kurusugawa Himeko. Otoha-san is a good judge of character. She cannot be wrong.h

gWhat would you do it if Kurusugawa Himeko were not a bad girl, Kyou-chan?h Kotonefs Aunt said with a smile. She faltered a little bit at ggirlh, though. Kotone wouldnft blame her. After all, all of this was just too much of a shock for a mother. Well, Himemiya Kimika was taking it better than most, Kotone supposed. Another woman in her place would be screaming hysterically, or drowning herself in denial like her husband was.

gWell, I...h Kyou muttered.

gWould you still want to separate them?h

gI really do not know, Kimika.h Himemiya Kyou sighed.

gSay, Kyou-chan, why donft we wait to see this Kurusugawa Himeko first and then decide?h

A moment of silence passed before the man finally nodded.

gOkay.h

None of them noticed when Kotone opened the door and left.

Treading in the hallway, Kotone smiled thoughtfully to herself. She only returned to Japan to see how Chikane, the only girl she had failed to win over, was doing; she never thought that she would learn that someone, another girl at that, had managed to do what she herself could not. She wondered what this Kurusugawa Himeko looked like. Well, the Head Maid described her as a golden-haired milksop who did not look an inch above average but Kotone would buy none of that. Someone who had been chosen by Himemiya Chikane couldnft be not pretty. After all, even Kotone herself was not good enough for the girlfs taste.

 

***

 

gThey are home, Kyou-chan,h Himemiya Kimika told her husband. She was standing by the window of their study, looking down on the front yard where a black limousine just came to a stop, while her dear Kyou-chan was sitting on the couch, massaging his temples. gCome have a look.h

gAh, sure,h Kyou stood up, walked to Kimikafs side, and peered through the opened glass window. His eyes widened slightly when he saw two girls emerging from inside the car.

Himemiya Chikane, their beloved daughter, was in a white, long-sleeved, and unbuttoned blouse worn over a shirt of the same color. On her neck, there was a blue scarf one end of which hung down her front, keeping her warm in the cold night of October. Instead of a long skirt, which was usually the piece of clothing of her choice, she now donned a pair of casual, tight blue denim jeans that showed all too clearly the shape of her thighs. With a pair of sneakers adorning her feet, she looked like a boy, although she could never have passed as one with her slender figure, her glossy stream of long blue hair, her ample bosom, and her exceptionally beautiful face. Yet, if Kimika was surprised at her daughterfs outfit, she was shocked by the childfs whole-hearted laughter, loud enough to reach the second floor, where Kimika and her husband stood. As far as they were concerned, Himemiya Chikane had never done that.

Chikane, since her childhood, had always been a quiet girl who rarely showed emotions. She might smile to Kyou and Kimika, she might chuckle at a joke they told, but she never laughed. She was now, to a girl hanging tightly on her arm, who wore the exact same outfit except for the red scarf around her neck. Kurusugawa Himeko, Kimika guessed that was the girlfs name, with her cute face and long golden hair, seemed to be glowing like the stars up in the night sky while laughing along with Kimikafs beloved daughter. Kimika gave her lips a thoughtful tap. No one could look at the two of them without thinking that they were perfectly made for each other. In fact, they complemented one another so well that they in their current clothes could probably best Kimika and her Kyou-chan on their wedding day. Strange to think that Kurusugawa Himeko matched their little princess better than any boy would....

gOur daughter seems so happy, Kimika,h Kyou said quietly.

gShe does,h she agreed. gHow regrettable that the one who makes her so is not us.h Her husband let out a long sigh that was meant for an agreement.

Kimika and Kyou returned to the couch and waited. Otoha would bring words to Chikane that her parents were expecting her alone in the study. The girl would come, soon.

Less than five minutes later, someone knocked on the door.

gFather, Mother, it is I,h their daughterfs voice said, sounding strangely collected. Well, maybe not strange at all. The daughter of the Himemiya, the ice princess who bent knee to none, was never frightened easily. There were times Kimika wondered how she and Kyou, both incredibly soft when dealing with Chikane, could bring her up to be such a strong girl.

gCome in,h Kyou said.

The door swung open, admitting the blue-haired princess, whose face was set with determination. The girl knew why her parents awaited her here... and decided that she would beat them down with her will.

gWelcome home, Father, Mother,h Chikane said, bowing deeply to them.

gHave a seat, daughter. This will not be short.h Kimikafs husband gestured toward the couch sitting opposite theirs, across the glass table.

Once the girl settled down – with the grace of a queen addressing a court of nobles she meant to squelch before they had the chance to rebel against her, Kimika had to say – Kimika spoke, gTell us all about your girlfriend, will you? We would like to learn more about her.h

Himemiya Kimika had never seen a more dazzling smile blooming on her daughterfs lips.

 

***

 

During the three thousand years she had lived through, Yue never once thought that one day, she would catch her Mother, the ever graceful and imperturbable Izanami of the Underworld, smooching another woman on the lips. Neither did she imagine that the latter, who happened to be Tsukazaki Fuyura, the Chancellor serving under the Supreme Ruler of Reiha, would jump up from the formerfs lap and fell on her back on the ground. After the young woman had gotten back to her feet, with the help of a very concerned Izanami-sama, she had stormed out of the Office, mumbling in a frustrated voice whether gthe whole freaking world is going to walk in on us.h

Yue finally understood why Tsukazaki Haruhi had specifically emphasized that since the Mother was expecting Yue in the Office, there was absolutely no need to knock on the door. The woman was lying through her teeth! She bloody knew that Izanami-sama was sharing a moment of intimacy with her other Chancellor in there! Yue should have known that something was very wrong when Tsukazaki Haruhi finished saying that, for Yui had looked at the woman in a very quizzical way and started to giggle softly as soon as Yue touched the doorfs handle. Had she stopped right there and knocked, perhaps she would not have been standing here, desperately wanting to find an excuse to leave.

gI thought you turned her down a while ago, Mother,h Yue said in an attempt to break the awkwardness of the situation. She glared at Yui, who was still giggling quietly next to her, though. What was so amusing about seeing her lover being made fun of anyway?

gThings happen, daughter,h Izanami-sama, sitting on the chair behind her desk, answered, eyes sparkling with amusement. Unlike her young Chancellor, Izanami-sama never gave any indication that she was embarrassed. gBut how do you know that?h

gFuyura slipped when you sent her to me a while ago in Heaven,h Yue answered, face growing hot as the image of Izanami-sama kissing Fuyura just popped up in her head. Yue had never seen her Mother or Tsukazaki Fuyura so happy, so dreamy, and so sweet ever before. She but wondered if she looked the same way in Yuifs arms while tasting her lips. She suppressed a chuckle. Does bird fly?

gI see,h Izanami-sama said simply.

gMore importantly, Mother, why do you summon us here?h Yue hastily changed the topic. gIs there something urgent?h

gAh, no.h The Supreme Ruler of Reiha shook her head. gI only want to ask if you two have free time this Tuesday.h

gWe are, Mother,h Yue said. gMay I inquire as to why you asked?h

gAn hour ago, a notice from far away came to me, saying that an old friend of mine is coming here for a visit,h Izanami-sama answered. Yue lifted an eyebrow in surprise. Her Mother had an old friend? gI do not know how, but she is aware that I have a daughter. She requests that I bring you along to see her when she arrives. Would you both like to accompany me to the Court of the Wishing Stars, where Izanagi and I will receive her on Tuesday?h

gOf course we would like to,h Yue said, inclining her head slightly in acquiescence.

gIt sounds fun, Izanami-sama.h Yui beamed brightly. Unlike Yue, the Goddess of the Sun threw all formality out the windows regardless of whom she was addressing. Well, it irked Yue somewhat but if the Mother was fine with it, she guessed there was no problem.

gYou seem to have a question, daughter. What is it?h Izanami-sama looked at her.

gNothing much, it is just that I never thought it possible that you had friends, Mother.h

gOh? Why is that, child?h

gWell, you see, I figured that since you and Izanagi-sama are the only two Makers and all....h How the heck were the two people who created the Three Worlds System able to have long time friends?

gYou never wondered where I came from, did you, Tsukiyomi?h

Yue shook her head apologetically. She was such a negligent daughter.

gI think we both took your and Izanagi-samafs existences for granted, Izanami-sama,h Yui put in, smiling.

gWell, you two were just too busy dreaming about each other when you were young to have noticed that I was not born out of thin air, I would say.h The Lady of Reiha chuckled quietly as she eyed Yue and Yui in amusement, which made them blush.

gWe would be perfectly happy to hear more about your life story, Izanami-sama.h The Goddess of the Sun smiled. gWouldnft we, Yue-chan?h

gUh... yes.h Yue nodded.

gProbably later, children,h the Mother said. gI have a few things to take care of.h Her dark eyes flickered toward the other empty desk in the Office as her lips curved up in a soft smile. She cleared her throat afterwards, though, no doubt trying to hide the fact that she just spent the last second mooning over her lover. gThe mountain of reports I have to read is a little bit of a bother, you see, not to count the fact that I must come to Izumo this evening to meet with the creep Izanagi so we can plan the Welcome Banquet for my friend at the Court of the Wishing Stars.h Izanami-samafs face grew sour.

gIf she is your friend, Mother, why is Izanagi-sama involved?h Yue asked, puzzled.

gI forgot to mention, child,h the Lady of Reiha said grimly. gKristall Aria, that is her name by the way, stands much higher than Izanagi and I in the hierarchy. In fact, she is the second most powerful individual in the universe.h

For the first time ever, Yue sensed apprehension in her Motherfs voice.

 

***

 

gI think we should call it a day, Chikane,h Himemiya Kyou raised his hand and said. gI am sure we can continue our conversation tomorrow.h

gYes, Father,h his daughter answered with an incline of her head.

gDinner will be ready soon, so return to your room and have a rest until we call for you, dear.h Himemiya Kimika, his beloved wife and faithful companion, smiled gently to their little princess.

gYes, Mother.h With that, the girl was gone. Her steps were much lighter than those with which she had arrived at this study, though. Her expression was much softer, too, no longer that of a warrior ready for a battle. Probably she thought she had won.

gWhat do you think about this Kurusugawa girl, dear?h Kimika turned to him and asked.

gI believe Otoha-san hates her with a passion, although I cannot comprehend why,h Kyou said dryly. gIn Chikanefs eyes, the girl seems to be the most wonderful person on Earth.h

gShe was exaggerating, wasnft she?h

gOf course she was!h he muttered. gAnyone head over heels in love would! And we both know how Chikane is nuts about Kurusugawa Himeko.h

gDo you know who she reminds me of?h Kimika chuckled.

gWho?h

gYou, Kyou-chan!h His wife nudged him gently on the cheek. gShe acted exactly the way you did when you were young!h

gI cannot recall,h Kyou said defensively.

gI can.h The chuckle became a soft laughter. gOne day, when we went out for lunch with your friends from college, you spent the entire meal talking about me and how wonderful I was. It was really embarrassing, you understand, listening to my boyfriend feverishly listing my good points.h

gYou never stopped me?h

gI did try,h his wife said wryly. gYou never noticed.h

gReally.h Kyou cleared his throat. Now was that not a disturbing image? He, the mighty Himemiya Kyou who stood on the same level as world leaders, acting like the giddy girl who just departed from this study? Disturbing... indeed.

gAnd have you any idea how similar their daily activities sound like ours during our honeymoon!h

If anything, Kimika only appeared deeply amused by this revelation. He... well... he was not sure he did not feel the same way about his daughter and her girlfriend. That word came a little bit easier in his mind now. Anyway... his wife did have a point. Staying in their room almost all the time, having breakfast in bed, eating dinner under flickering candlelight, wearing matching outfit, making out whenever a chance – or an empty corner – presented itself... those were what Kyou and Kimika used to do shortly after being wed. Embarrassing to think of at the moment, but extremely fun and romantic back in those days, of course.

Still, what shocked him the most was the fact that his daughter cooked now. Their little ice princess – who had servants waiting at her beck and call, who could not tell a frying pan from a soup pot – actually cooked! According to what the girl briefly mentioned in passing – she mainly talked about her lover – Chikane spent two hours a day in the kitchen, learning how to make food from a very weary chef. She made a mess more often than not, which amused her no end for some reason, but she had managed to fry eggs without making it seem like burnt-out coals afterwards. She was really proud of that, and very happy, too, when her lover told her that the dish tasted well. From what he could gather from the girlfs story, Himemiya Chikane must have been beaming like a fool hearing the compliment. Another disturbing image....

gWhen are we going to meet Himeko?h Kimika touched his arm and asked. So they were on the first name basis now?

gYou sound like an overly excited mother-in-law, Kimika,h Kyou pointed out.

gSo what?h His wife chuckled. gI really want to meet her. I do not care if she is a girl. Any person who can make our daughter this happy is a treasure. Should we call her here and have a little chat?h

gYou will have your chance during dinner, dear,h Kyou said dryly. gNo need to scare the girl.h

gYes, you are right.h Kimika beamed brightly.

An overly excited mother-in-law, no doubt. Well, he himself was very much looking forward to meet the girl, too. Although for a much different reason, he supposed.

 

***

 

gWhat did you talk about, Chikane-chan?h Kurusugawa Himeko asked as soon as the blue-haired princess closed the door to their quarters.

gI was badmouthing you to my parents, Himeko,h Chikane-chan said, smiling as she sat down next to Himeko on the bed.

gThen, how badly do they think of me now?h

gThey dislike you so much they hardly said a word to me.h The Himemiya Ojou-sama laughed softly into Himekofs ears and gave her a light peck on the cheek.

gOh really?h Himeko leaned over and rest her head on the other girlfs shoulder.

gYes really,h Chikane-chan said, putting her hand on the hollow of Himekofs waist.

gYou stayed there for more than an hour, talking behind my back,h Himeko murmured. gI didnft know there were so many bad things about me.h

gYes, even I was amazed.h

gDid you tell your parents how much of an idiot I am to have fallen in love with you, too?h

gI think my choice of word was glucky girlh, not gidioth, Himeko.h They both laughed at that.

gI wonder how theyfd act toward me when I meet them,h Himeko said.

gYou will know soon. We are going to have dinner with my parents after all.h

gIs she going to be there, your cousin?h Himeko asked a little bit apprehensively.

gProbably yes.h The blue-haired princess peered at her with a glint of amusement in her sapphire eyes. gWhy? You dislike her?h

gNo, I donft dislike her exactly.h Himeko winced. gShe just... made me feel very uneasy.h

gLet me guess, Kotone flirted with you?h Chikane-chan said casually, which made Himeko give a small start.

Actually... Himemiya Kotone, a girl most would call pretty although she couldnft compare to the princess of the Himemiya, didnft just flirt with Himeko. The girl bloody well tried to seduce her! On the way back to her room alone, Himeko had unfortunately run into Himemiya Kotone, who asked in a drop-dead serious manner whether she would like to have a private walk in the back garden and make themselves comfortable, preferably without clothes. Chikane-chanfs cousin tended to let her hands wander, too. Thrice she had tried to touch Himeko in weird places. Had Himeko not practically pushed the girl off of her and run back to her room, something really bad would have happened, and being touched would have been the least of it. Himeko told her sweetheart as much.

gShe did that, did she not?h The blue-haired princess sounded terribly amused.

gYoufre taking this really well, Chikane-chan,h Himeko muttered. gI thought youfd be jealous.h

gWhy? Kotone may flirt to her heartfs content, but I doubt you would look at her the way she wants you to.h The Himemiya Ojou-sama smiled, her hand caressing Himekofs cheek. gI know you are madly in love with me.h

Himeko blushed.

gIt must have shocked her to the base of her foundation, in any case.h Chikane-chan laughed quietly. gGirls seldom say gNoh to Himemiya Kotone, you understand. When she asked, almost every girl would gladly climb into her bed even if they are nuts about boys before they meet her.h

gDid you?h

gI think Kotone told me I was the first one to decline her forceful offer,h the Himemiya princess said, winking at Himeko. gThat only made her try harder, of course. She never succeeded, mind you.h

gWhy?h Himeko asked curiously.

gBecause she only started hitting on me last year, shortly after I met you in the Garden of the Roses.h Chikane-chan tapped her finger on Himekofs nose in a teasingly gentle way. gYou see, I was hardly vulnerable to Kotonefs advances when I was already in love with a much prettier and cuter girl.h

gFlattery will get you nowhere with me,h Himeko mumbled, her face growing hot.

gI only tell the truth as it is.h The Himemiya Ojou-sama chuckled. gBesides, Kotone must have thought the same way about you. She only dates beautiful girls, I will have you know that.h She gently cupped Himekofs face with her hands and kissed her on the lips.

gDo your parents know about her uh... interest in girls?h

gEven Kotonefs own parents are not aware, Himeko.h The other girl chuckled softly. gShe keeps it hidden well. But enough about my cousin, really.h

gHey, whatfre you doing?h Himeko squeaked as the blue-haired princess scooped her into her arms and rose to her feet.

gWe cannot exactly come to dine with my parents without taking a shower first now can we?h Chikane-chan smiled, amused. gWe have been running around since the morning, in case you have not noticed.h

gBut wefll be late,h Himeko mumbled against her loverfs chest.

gI am sure we will not,h the blue-haired princess assured Himeko, her sapphire eyes twinkling under the fluorescent light of their private bathroom. She was right. They were in time afterwards... but only barely even though the servant came to knock on their door and announced that dinner was ready an hour after they lost themselves in each otherfs embrace under the sprays of the showerhead.

 

***

 

For Himemiya Kimika, this was a rather... exciting yet extremely uncomfortable experience. She had looked forward to talking to Kurusugawa Himeko, her daughterfs girlfriend, so much that the moment the two girls entered the dining hall, she had immediately asked that Himeko be seated at her side at the table. Both Chikane and Himeko had given a small start right after she finished saying that. She really could not tell what had startled them more, the unusual request, or the eagerness of her voice.

Of course, the golden-haired girl could not refuse – she clearly wished she could, judging by the reluctant expression on her face– so she meekly settled herself upon the high-backed chair next to Kimikafs. Kurusugawa Himeko, in a red velvet dress baring her slender shoulders, with a ruby pendant adorning her neck, was definitely prettier than most girls her age. Some would even call her beautiful, although in a very different way from Kimikafs daughter, she supposed. Others might be enthralled by Chikanefs cool and gorgeous appearance but Kimika knew that most of them were terribly afraid of the girlfs unnerving sapphire gaze, which seemed more than capable of punching holes through a granite wall. Kurusugawa Himeko, on the other hand, looked so adorable that people just wanted to pull her into a hug.

Kimika almost scratched her head in puzzlement. Why in Heavenfs name could the Head Maid Kisaragi Otoha have borne such a grudge against such a cute little girl? Even now, the young woman, standing behind Himemiya Kyoufs chair at the head of the table along with other maids, were still throwing pointed looks at the golden-haired girl as though they were sworn enemies. When Kimika listened to Otohafs stories about how much of a freeloader and a vermin Himeko was, she already had an inkling not even twenty percent of them was truth. Now, she doubted any of them was.

Well, Kimika being uncomfortable had nothing to do with the Head Maidfs hostile mood, however. In fact, if Otoha snatched one of the silver knives on the table and started to go after Himekofs life, she still would not be able to unsettle Kimika more than the gloomy gaze her daughter – in the same outfit as that of her girlfriend, only with the color blue – was sending her from across the table. The blue-haired girlfs expression strangely resembled that of her husband a few years back when he had to go see the dentist due to teeth problem – which he dreaded every step of the way. No doubt Chikane wished to be the one in Kimikafs seat, next to her girlfriend. In the beginning, she had tried to sit next to Himeko, on the same side of the table as Kimika of course, but she failed, for Kyou told her that he wanted her next to him so they could talk. For some reason, the little princess directed all her irritation at Kimika instead of her Father, which made absolutely no sense.

Realizing that twenty minutes had passed in dead silence, with Chikane trying to murder her filet mignon with fork and knife while everyone else chewing theirs tastelessly, Kimika decided to speak. After all, that was what she came here to do.

gI do realize that this is our first meeting.h She turned to the golden-haired girl, smiling gently. gBut would you mind if I address you as Himeko?h

gOh, no, not at all.h Chikanefs girlfriend gave a nervous smile after a frantic shake of her head.

gSo, Himeko, what do you think of our Head Cheffs skill?h

gI think hefs great... um... Himemiya-san,h Kurusugawa Himeko answered timidly. Her compliment was certainly at odds with the food on her dish, which she barely touched at all. Kimika would not blame her, though. Any other girl in her place would not have much of an appetite either when sitting at the same table with the parents of the one she loved.

gJust Kimika is fine, child,h Kimika said. Somewhere in the background, she heard the sound of a china dish crashing into the tiled floor. Turning her head, Kimika saw a mess of broken shards and food near the Head Maidfs feet, showing her exactly who it was that dropped the thing. It seemed Otoha was handling – well, trying to handle – a dish when Kimika asked Himeko to address her by her first name. Perhaps the young woman never expected her Mistress to permit such intimacy from someone whose image she tried her best to smear earlier in the afternoon. Perhaps.

Kisaragi Otoha was not the only one surprised. Chikane was, too, before she managed to mask the shock. Kimikafs husband, well... he merely smiled. The man saw it coming and certainly had no qualm about demonstrating his knowledge. In fact, he had always claimed that he could predict whatever Kimika was about to do. Well, he would be surprised.

gWhy are you so silent?h Kimika chuckled after another moment of absolutely no sounds. gIf you wish to call me Kimika-chan, I have no problem with it either.h Another dish crashed. Otoha looked sickened to the core. Chikane and her Father were so stunned that they failed to notice the knives and the forks had dropped from their hands onto the table. Kimika rewarded herself with a satisfied grin.

gOh, no!h Himeko said hastily. gI canft do that!h

gWhy not?h Kimika said, amused. gMy daughter informed me that you called her Chikane-chan on the day you two first met. I see nothing wrong with doing the same with my name.h

gBut youfre Chikane-chanfs mom!h Himeko protested. Before she could say any further, Kimika cut in.

gDoes that mean you think I am too old to be called that way?h She feigned a long, saddened sigh. She even pressed the back of her right hand against her forehead for dramatic effect. gYou must forgive me, Himeko. Sometimes I fall under the illusion that time still has mercy on me.h Too bad her acting skill was not so good that she could cry anytime she wanted. A glance out of her eyesf corners showed her husband hiding his mouth in his wine glass, his shoulder trembling slightly in mirth. Chikane, on the other hand, was looking mightily anxious, probably worried to death. Yes, no wonder they said that a woman in love was as good as blind.

gYoufre not old... Kimika... chan,h Himeko said after a while.

gWould you be more careful with the dishes, Otoha-san?h Kyou said, annoyed. gYou almost splashed all that food on my face.h

gReally, Himeko?h Ignoring the Head Maidfs frantic apologies in the background, Kimika beamed at the golden-haired girl, who smiled back at her awkwardly. Kimika bet Himeko had never encountered any parent like her. Well, even her beloved Kyou-chan sometimes accused her of acting more like Chikanefs friend than her mother. It was a severe case of a pot calling a kettle black, seriously. He was the one to talk when he melted like a candle under a flame every time he hugged the kid.

gYeah.h Her daughterfs girlfriend nodded most emphatically. gYoufll look like my sister if we go out together. Really!h If those words came from the mouth of anybody else, they would seem fake. From Himekofs, they sounded perfectly honest and heartfelt. For the first time after so many years of hearing compliments from her business partners, Kimika actually felt flattered.

gMother.h Chikane coughed. gIf I did not know you better, I would think that you were trying to seduce my girlfriend.h

gQuiet, daughter,h Kimika shushed her little princess. gYour father is right here.h The table erupted. All but Otoha and the maids were seized with laughter. The maids were trying their best not to, though.

gSeducing aside, why is Kotone not having dinner with us?h Chikane said, finally offering Kimika a smile. gI do wish to introduce Himeko to her properly.h The golden-haired girl, face suddenly flushed with a dark crimson color, made a choking sound in her throat. Kimika hoped she was okay.

gShe said she was not feeling well,h Kimika turned to her daughter and answered. gShe requested that food be brought to her in her room. I wonder if I should give Katou-sensei a call and asked her to come see the poor kid.h

gYou should not worry about Kotone, Mother,h Chikane said, her voice brimming with hilarity. The girl even gave Himeko a wink, which was returned with a small, nervous laughter. gI am sure she will get over her shock soon enough.h Kimika blinked. Now what was that supposed to mean?

gAnyway.h She cleared her throat. gTomorrow is Sunday. Would you two like to accompany me in a trip around Mahoroba? It has been a while since I did that.h

gIt seems a great idea, Kimika,h Kyou said suddenly. gYou should take Chikane and Kotone with you.h She could almost feel the golden-haired girl freeze dead when she did not hear her name mentioned.

gWhat about Himeko, Father?h Chikane narrowed her eyes slightly.

gShe would stay home with me, evidently,h Kyou said. gI would like to have a chat with her.h He turned to Himeko, face by no means soft. gYou would not mind, of course, Kurusugawa-san?h

gOf course not.h The golden-haired girl shook her head but according to her face, pale as a blank sheet of paper, she would rather have nodded. Chikane did not look any better, either. Kimika did not doubt both of them would spend the whole night practicing questions and answers in preparation for the confrontation with Kyou tomorrow. She chuckled. No, she would not let that happen. In fact, she was going to make Chikane spend the night with her under the obvious pretense of gwanting to catch uph. If Himeko was going to talk to Kimikafs husband, she had better go to him as her own person, not a parrot taught to answer questions by her girlfriend. Kyou would not appreciate that.

 

***

 

The morning after, Himemiya Kyou sat on one of the couches in his study, peering at Kurusugawa Himeko, who sat opposite him in another couch, appearing a wreck of nerves. Kyou suspected that if anyone tried to touch her, she would scream and jump off her seat. Well, he guessed he was rather intimidating for her.

gWould you care for a cup of tea, Kurusugawa-san?h Unlike his beloved wife, he had no intention of calling the girl by her first name at this moment. gOr if you would tell me what you like, I will ask Otoha-san to prepare it right away.h

gTeafs fine, Himemiya-san,h the golden-haired girl answered. After she had received a cup of black Oolong tea, she took a small sip. She winced slightly afterwards, undoubtedly unused to the bitter taste of the black liquid inside. Well, not that he expected her to appreciate the exquisiteness of the finest Oolong tea brought straight from China, though. Young people nowadays seemed to preferred beer or wine whether they were old enough to drink or not. He but wondered if Kurusugawa Himeko was one of these. He guessed he was going to find out soon.

gChikane mentioned to me that you moved to Mahoroba only recently, correct?h he asked.

gYes,h the girl said. gMy aunt and uncle in Tokyo sent me here to study.h

gAunt and uncle?h

gAh, my parents passed away when I was little because of a plague, so I had been living with the family of my fatherfs elder brother until last year.h

gI am sorry to hear that, Kurusugawa-san.h

gItfs alright, sir.h The golden-haired girl smiled a little.

gForgive me if I sound rude, but according to what I gathered from my daughter, I understand that you have been having financial problems?h

Actually, Chikane spoke of no such things except one little detail that Kurusugawa Himeko had labored two months in a local restaurant to make enough money to buy Chikane the sapphire ring she now wore on her ring finger. Even though Kyoufs daughter could have bought a dozen of them with the allowance provided each week, she treasured the present more than anything her parents could give. Anyone would realize that were they to see the affection in the little princessfs eyes whenever she touched the sapphire ring. As a father who showered his daughter with gifts more often than not, Kyou was not quite pleased upon learning that.

gYou can say that.h A faint color crept onto the girlfs cheeks.

gThen I believe you would appreciate this,h Kyou said while taking a rectangular piece of paper out from his pocket. Himekofs amethyst eyes widened in shock when Kyou put the thing on the table that stood between their couches. It was a check, which would make the girl twenty million yen richer once she deposited it into her bank account.

gWhat... do you... mean by this, Himemiya-san?h Himekofs voice was trembling.

gDo you wish for more? I can double that amount any time.h

gIfm not sure... I understand.h Himeko looked at him, her face bloodless.

gYou do. You are smarter than you let on, you know that.h Kyou chuckled. gBut if you like me to be more... direct, I will gladly comply. Here me well, kiddo. I will double this amount of money, tripling even, if you promise me you will leave Mahoroba and never return.h

gYou are... bribing me to leave Chikane-chan forever?h

gExactly!h Kyou laughed. gSo, what say you? Do we have a deal?h

gI canft accept it,h Kurusugawa Himeko said, pushing the check toward Kyoufs end of the table. gI wonft accept it.h

gWhy not? I thought money was what you were looking for when you befriended my daughter.h Kyou propped his elbow on the arm of the couch and put the side of his face against his fist, coldly studying the golden-haired girl sitting opposite him, who seemed to be on the verge of tears. Girls. They always cried so easily.

gI... I... didnft become Chikane-chanfs friend for her money,h Himeko said, hands trembling on her laps, eyes focusing on the carpeted floor, voice shaking wildly. gI didnft fall in love with her because I wanted twenty million yen.h The last few words came out along with a painful sob.

gYou sure are greedy. Very well then. How about two hundred million yen? Should be enough for you to spend your whole life.h

gEven if you... give me everything you have, Himemiya-san, I still wonft accept it.h Kurusugawa Himeko shook her head hard.

gLet me guess, because you love her?h Kyou rose to his feet and walked to the large French window, from where he peered down at the front yard of the Himemiya Mansion. His voice grew cold. gDo you not realize that you are a threat to her future?h

The golden-hared girl said nothing as tears silently streamed down her cheeks. She never thought that someone who spent the last evening eating at the same table, laughing at the same joke could be so terrifyingly cruel, Kyou bet. Well, many of his business partners should be wondering about that, too.

gYou would understand, Kurusugawa-san, that we brought up Chikane to be the heiress of the empire we have spent our life to maintain,h Kyou continued, back leaning against the wall. gIt is our duty to see that she inherits it without encountering any obstacle on her way.h A glance in Himekofs direction told the girl exactly whom he referred to with a certain word.

gWhy am I... an obstacle?h she said, voice tight.

gBecause the world we are living now has not been able to comprehend the love two girls may share with one another. It is harsh, discriminating, and homophobic, especially in the business aspect.h He looked straight at the young girl in the eyes, making sure his words were driven home. gLet us take Himemiya International for an example. True, the Himemiya Clan founded the company, yet a large portion of the power rests in the hands of the investors, represented by the Board of Executives. Imagine what would happen should I tell those crippled, old-fashioned, ancient men and women that the future C.E.O. of the company has a girl for her lover? They would withdraw their investments on the spot, causing the immediate collapse of Himemiya International and spelling doom for Chikanefs future. That is why if you sincerely love her, leave her for her own good.h

Kyou had thought that such a reasonable, nicely delivered speech would have made Kurusugawa Himeko keep silent and start thinking. He was wrong. The girl had opened her mouth as soon as he finished.

gI canft,h she said determinedly while scrubbing at the tears on her face with her long shirt sleeves. Her breath was still uneven from all the crying.

gWhy is that?h Kyou narrowed his eyes dangerously at the golden-haired girl.

gBecause no matter where I go, she will find me,h Himeko said quietly, both of her hands on her heart. Her expression became distant as the fingers of her right hand started to caress the little finger of her left. Kyou frowned. His daughter did that last night, too, although apparently without knowing that she was doing it. He wondered why.

gOnce you tell her that you do not love her anymore, she will not look for you when you leave,h Kyou suggested.

gEven if I can make myself tell her that lie, I still wonft.h The golden-haired girl shook her head. gChikane-chan said that the day I stop loving her will be the day she cut open her wrist.h

gYou do not seriously believe her, do you?h Kyou scoffed derisively.

gI do.h Her gaze met his firmly. gBecause itfs something Ifd do. I live for her, and she for me. Wefd die before we abandon each other.h There was no hesitation in those lovely amethyst eyes, not even a scrap of diffidence. There was only strength and the determination of someone who knew exactly what she wanted and would pay any price to get it. She reminded him of Kimika somehow.

In any case, the girl was right about what she said. When his little daughter talked to Kyou and Kimika the night before, she came very close to saying right out that the two of them were so deeply in love that no method could be employed to separate them short of killing either. Kyou was under the impression that should he somehow manage to eliminate Kurusugawa Himeko, his daughter would not survive the girl a week, if not an hour. It was startling, really, how his ice block of a daughter could grow to love someone so much. And he used to be afraid that she would remain single for the rest of her life. How stupid he was.

 gVery well,h Kyou said with a sigh as he seated himself back on the couch. Then he picked up the check and tore it into pieces. Meanwhile, Kurusugawa Himeko only watched him curiously, maybe wondering what he was going to do next. gYou leave me no choice but to disown my daughter.h He shot Kurusugawa Himeko an accusing look.

gWhy?h Himeko gave a start. Tears welled up in her amethyst eyes once more.

gI have to demonstrate to the Board of Executives that no heir of Himemiya International will do what society does not permit,h Kyou said, his voice cold and harsh. gI must convince them that their moral beliefs would never be betrayed by the members of the Clan. Before the run rises tomorrow, I will see to it that both of you leave the Mansion.h

Time had passed in silence for several minutes before the young girl decided to speak. gI guess it canft be helped. Wefll try to pack as quickly as we can.h

gYou two are not allowed to take anything from this house except Chikanefs clothing,h Kyou said, his tone growing grimmer with every word. gShould you dare take a yen from this house, you will be delivered to the police. Thanks to you, Chikane will have the chance to live the life of a lowly commoner.h

gWe donft mind,h Himeko answered. If those hard words managed to offend her, she did not show it.

gBe aware that once Chikane steps out of this house, she will become a burden which you will break your back carrying. She has almost no social skills, and would most likely try to bully people into doing what she wants them to. It works when she has the power, but without the Himemiya Clanfs support, she will get herself into deep troubles.h

gChikane-chan does that, doesnft she?h To his astonishment, Kurusugawa Himeko smiled softly, almost to herself. gI suppose I have to talk to her about that.h She sounded... quite fond ... and amused by the fact. gShe does almost everything I ask her to, so probably I can manage to make her change a little bit.h

gIn case you do not sense the gravity of the problem, I will spell it out for you,h Kyou said coldly. gHimemiya Chikane is a girl who is used to luxury. She knows neither the importance of money nor how to earn it. Given her temperament and lack of experience, she would be fired from a job as soon as get it. Being a high school girl, there is no way you can support her and yourself. Compared to having her clinging to you like chunk of rock when you are swimming, you would be better off by yourself. Even if you do not care for her future, at least think of your own. Life would be much sweeter and more enjoyable, I daresay.h

gChikane-chan is my future,h the golden-haired girl said quietly. gShefs my life. I never think of her as a burden, and never will.h

gOh, what is this?h Kyou looked at Kurusugawa Himeko intensely. gSuch confidence. Canft you see that you may not find a shelter after you walk out of my door, being the poor high schooler that you are?h

gI donft have much, but I have enough to rent an apartment for the two of us,h the girl said. gIfve been saving ever since I came to live with my aunt and uncle. If we spend carefully, the money in my bank account can cover us for the first few months.h

gAfter that?h

gI think I would have found a job by then. If I work really hard, Ifm sure can keep both of us alive.h Kurusugawa Himekofs voice was tinged with worry and somewhat of uncertainty, yet dominating them was a very strong determination rarely seen in youngsters these days.

gAre you going to be a high school dropout?h

gIfm... not really sure myself.h Himeko blushed. gI... well, um... I donft do well in class and I donft love it exactly, but Ifm going to try to stay in school.h Something told Kyou that maybe the first thing the girl did would be quitting school and finding a full-time job. gIfll make sure Chikane-chan does, though!h She beamed brightly.

gWhy?h

gBecause you know, ne,h Himeko said, sounding proud all of a sudden. gTokyo University has offered her a scholarship. One she is done with high school, she can come straight to the capital and study, all living expense and tuition paid by the university itself. Chikane-chan told me she was going to be majored in music there, that when she graduated, she would like to become a composer. Ifm sure she will. She has the talents, donft you think, Himemiya-san?h

gI notice that you never mentioned about Chikane working before graduation from university. You are not going to let her work?h

gIf she can find a job, itfll be wonderful,h the girl said with a smile. gBut Ifm not going to press her.h

gWhy? Her getting a job would certainly help lift your financial burden.h

gWell, um, you see, Himemiya-san,h Himeko hesitated, face coloring again. gItfs like what you said earlier. Itfs way too dangerous for Chikane-chan to go out to the world the way she is now. I know she has to sooner or later but Ifll feel a lot safer if she stays home and concentrates on studying.h

gIn other words, you are going to spoil my daughter rotten, correct?h Kyou chuckled quietly, amused.

gUm, yeah.h She nodded, face redder than ever. gShe spoils me all the times, though, so I guess thatfll make us even.h Suddenly, the girl blinked and gave a start. She probably just realized that the atmosphere between them had changed.

gYou seem to know exactly what to do with your future.h Kyou nodded to himself. gIt is rare for one so young.h

gActually, I didnft give it much thought until two days ago,h Himeko said timidly. gChikane-chan and I werenft... together before that. Only after I moved in with her did we have time to talk.h

gI find it surprising, still. Youth these days seem to be... reluctant when it comes to discussing their future with their partners. They would most likely want to have fun and forget about it.h

gWell, Chikane-chan and I love to talk to each other, and it happened that I was uneasy about what was going to happen to us when you came home, Himemiya-san.h The girl smiled ruefully.

gSo you expected that I was going to kick you out in the first place.h Kyou laughed.

gIfm sorry,h the girl said frantically, trying to get her words out in a rush. gI donft think that youfre mean or anything. Itfs just that Ifm....h

gNo need to say more, child.h Kyou smiled gently at Kurusugawa Himeko. gI understand.h If anything, the girl only stared at him in shock. She probably had gotten too used to him being cold-faced and harsh to cope with his current friendly attitude. gChikane told us last night that she was very fortunate in having you for a girlfriend. I see that she is not wrong.h

gEh?h

gYou have won, my dear Himeko. You have passed the test.h

The girl was so confused that the only thing she could mutter was, gEh?h Kyou chuckled quietly to himself. This was going to take a lot of explanation, he supposed.

gI think you should stop calling me Himemiya-san from now on too, Himeko.h

gEh?h

 

***

 

gYou seem happy, Kyou-chan,h Himemiya Kimika said while pouring her husband a cup of tea. gI guess your little chat with Himeko went well.h

gIt did.h Kyou nodded, a small smile curving his lips.

gWhat do you think about the kid now?h Kimika took a sip at her own tea.

gShe is very honest and kind.h Her husband chuckled softly. gShe does not have a temper, she likes to speak her mind, and she loves our daughter a lot. She is a little bit clumsy when expressing her feelings, though, but that can be worked on.h

gFine traits to have, are they not?h Kimika said. gAlthough anyone who talks to her in five minutes would know all about those,h she pointed out. gI am surprised that you did not see her good points when we had dinner with her last night.h

gI did,h the twenty-ninth head of the Himemiya Clan answered dryly. gBut what do you know; first impressions are almost always misleading.h

gWell, what did you tell her anyway?h

gI tried to bribe her, threaten her, intimidate her, and scare her.h Kyou laughed. gI failed in every one of those. She passed the test with flying colors.h

gI guess we are not separating them, then?h Kimika chuckled. She had known ever since last night that the girl was strong enough to stand up to the C.E.O. of Himemiya International.

gYou never had any intention of doing that, Kimika,h her husband said.

gNo.h Kimika shook her head. gUnlike a heartless someone, I never planned to do something that can make my daughter cry.h

Quiet laughter answered her.

gJust tell me one thing, Kyou-chan.h Kimika put the cup of tea down on the table. gWas it only a test?h

gWhat do you mean?h

gI have been your wife for too many years to not know what you think, oh my dear husband,h Kimika said, voice serious. gYou tried to get rid of her for real, did you not?h

gSaa, who knows?h The man stood up and walked to the window of his study while sipping at his tea, yet Kimika knew as well as he that the answer to her question was a gYes.h

 

***

 

gSo my Father has been toying with you since the beginning,h Himemiya Chikane said, annoyed. He forced her Himeko to stay home just for this?

gUm, not toyed,h the little angel giggled softly as she snuggled closer to Chikane. gHe said test.h

They were lying in bed, with the light of the late afternoon sun shooting through their opened windows, with the golden-haired girl cuddled tightly in Chikanefs embrace. It was only a day in which they were apart, yet she missed Himeko so much it was open wonder how she was not driven insane.

Chikane had just come back from her shopping trip with her Mother and Himemiya Kotone, who had been so engrossed in hitting the malls and stores that no one could have thought one of them was the C.F.O. of the powerful Himemiya International and the father of the other had a seat in the same companyfs Board of Executives. Chikanefs Mother had said that it was Chikane who was weird if she was not excited about it. Kotone simply commented that Chikane was out of her mind.

gHe made you cry,h Chikane said flatly. Himemiya Kyou-sama was going to have an earful from her after this.

gI donft mind,h the golden-haired girl cooed softly as Chikane stroked her head. gAs long as hefs okay with me being your girlfriend, I donft mind.h

gWhat did he tell you afterwards, though?h

gHe said there was no need to worry anymore, that from today onward, the Mansion will be my home,h the little angel murmured. gHe said he was going to pay for my education, too, that I could go as far as I wanted. Hefs very nice, isnft he?h

gWell, I expect him to do so anyway, but yes, it was very nice of him to offer you that.h Chikane smiled. gWhat else?h

The golden-haired girl blushed hotly. gHe said... he was going to throw a Christmas party in Mahoroba this year,h she murmured again. gHis friends would come, and he would introduce me to them... as your fiancée. He seemed... to be looking forward to surprising them. He scared me a little bit when he talked about wanting to see the look on his friendsf faces, though.h

gHe said so?h Chikane said quietly, her whole body growing hot. gWait, fiancée? Does that mean....h She suddenly felt suffocated by the revelation.

gYeah.h Himeko wrapped an arm around Chikanefs waist and hugged her more tightly. gHe said he would arrange a wedding for us once we graduated from high school.h The angelfs voice dropped to a whisper as her face drew slowly toward Chikanefs. They kissed.

gI told him last night that I would like to marry you,h Chikane said breathlessly once Himeko had released her lips from the sweet and passionate kiss. gBut I did not imagine that he would grant my wish so easily.h

gYou told him... last night?h Himeko said quietly. gWhy didnft you mention it?h

gBecause I was waiting for something else, Himeko.h Chikane chuckled softly after she had placed a quick peck on the little angelfs forehead.

gWhatfs that something else?h

Chikane withdrew her arm, which made a regretful sigh escape Himekofs lips, and reached her hand into her coat pocket.

gThis.h When she took her hand out, she was holding a pair of simple gold bands, one carved with her own name in a flourished hand on the surface and the other, with Himekofs. The angelfs breath caught. gI sneaked away from Mother and Kotone today when we visited a large shopping mall just so I could go into a jewelry shop and got them for you.h She stepped down from the bed, got down on one knee, and looked up at the love of her life, sitting at the edge of the mattress.

gWill you marry me?h she whispered as she took Himekofs hand into one of hers, the other holding the gold band carved with the golden-haired girlfs name. Chikanefs sweetheart went red in the face but at the same time, her expression grew affectionate enough to make Chikanefs heart skip a beat.

gDo you have to ask?h the little anger whispered back, her voice sounding warmer than fire, sweeter than honey. gYes.h She pulled Chikane back onto the bed once Chikane had slipped the band around her ring finger on her left hand. There, the little angel cuddled her lightly and gave her kisses that curled her every toe and heated up her blood.

gDo you not think you should reward me more than that?h Chikane whispered into the angelfs ear afterwards, hands caressing her cheeks. gThese bands cost a small fortune.h The golden-haired girl blushed even redder than the sun that was sinking into the faraway horizon. Still, her hands settled on the buttons of Chikanefs white blouse as her body drew even closer.

It turned out that Chikane was unable to claim her reward right at that moment, for her Father was knocking on the door, calling, gHimeko, Kimika would like to see you. She said she bought a lot of clothes for you, child.h

gIfm coming, Kyou-chan,h the little angel said, hastily scrambling away from Chikanefs embrace to her feet.

gVery well.h Himemiya Kyou-samafs voice sounded exceptionally pleased. Slowly, his footsteps faded into the distance.

gKyou-chan?h Chikane looked at her sweetheart. Amusement seized her.

gWell, um,h the other girl stuttered. gHe said he didnft want to be called Himemiya-san by his future daughter-in-law, and that he wanted a nickname like the one I gave your mom, so....h

gYoufre doing well with my parents, you know.h Chikane chuckled. gFirst you called my Mother Kimika-chan, now my Father Kyou-chan. I think they will grow to love you much more than they do me.h

gThatfs not possible,h the little angel mumbled.

gNot that I mind, of course.h Chikane stood up, re-buttoning those few her lover had managed to undo prior to her Fatherfs extremely untimely knocks. gThe more they love you, the happier I am.h She smiled at the little angel. gBut shall we go? Letfs see what my Mother got for you.h

gSure.h

They walked out of the room, arm in arm, both could not seem to stop smiling. There was another year until graduation, another three hundred and sixty-five days until Himeko officially became a part of the family, but waiting anxiously during that time made the prize all the sweeter to have, of course.

 


Back to Lovers Eternal Index - Back to Kannazuki no Miko Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction