King's Heart (part 5 of 31)

a Final Fantasy 8 fanfiction by FFEverShadow

Back to Part 4 Untitled Document

Vacation Truth

           

            Quistis woke up when she felt her bed move. The wind was blowing especially harsh and she wondered if she had left a window open. Suddenly, without even opening her eyes, she realized she was not in her room. The sun was way too bright for her to be in her room. She could even hear the seagulls cawing. That was definitely not her room. She opened her eyes and looked up into the blinding sun.

            “What?” she said aloud, sitting up. She was in a moving car.

            “So, you’re awake.” Xu said in the front.

            “Xu? What the heck are you doing?” she demanded. “What time is it?” She checked her watch. “Hyne! Classes have started and you’re out for a joy ride? Xu I need to get back now!” She laughed.

            “Don’t worry, Quisty. Squall and Cid gave us the ok. Considering all that’s happened, they said that it was best if you got some rest and relaxation.” She replied.

            “No, you don’t under…Squall and Cid said what?”

            “They said it was best if you took a vacation and I’m accompanying you.” She replied coolly. Quisty rubbed her head and pinched her arm. It stung harshly and she knew it wasn’t a dream. “I wanted to surprise you. All our stuff is packed and we’re on our way.”

            “Good Hyne, Xu, did you get any sleep?” she balked. Xu shook her head.

            “Nope. All the confirmation and packing took me until morning. You sleep like the dead, do you know that? I’ve been driving for an hour already.” She chuckled. Quisty wasn’t so sure she was all that fond of having a driver that was sleep deprived. She climbed into the front seat next to her.

            “Where the heck are you taking me?” she asked. Xu gave a small smile.

            “I can’t believe you forgot…” she whispered. “You’ve been so busy lately and this news with Ultimecia. I can understand but…” Quistis looked at her, puzzled. “Look under your seat, Quisty.” The instructor gave another quizzical look before bending over and retrieving a white box. She carefully opened it and gasped.

            “Oh my…I can’t believe I forgot…” she breathed. It was a chocolate cake with the words, “Happy Birthday Quisty!” written in vanilla icing.

            “Selphie and the others gave it to you. Some of their presents are in the trunk so you can open them later. My kidnapping you and taking you on a vacation is my present.” Quistis let the box rest on her lap.

            “Of all the things to forget…” she whispered. Her eyes watered that her friends would remember when she didn’t. Maybe she wasn’t unloved.

            “Quistis?” Xu asked, clearly concerned by the tears in her eyes.

            “Thank you.” She said meekly. She looked ahead and instantly her sadness was replaced by fear.

            “TREE!!” She screamed. Xu’s head shot up. During the time that she had taken to make sure Quistis was all right, her car had gone off the road. Xu’s life flashed before her eyes and it was quite short. Quistis seized the wheel and veered away from the tree…and towards a mountain. The front of the car hit the stonewall but luckily, most of their momentum had been lost due to the sudden change of road and swerve. Quistis groaned as she staggered out of the car. Xu was less worried about herself and more about the car.

            “Oh man…Squall’s going to kill me!” she fretted, her head in her hands. “He told me that he had just gotten this car and he was doing a big favor by lending it to me…Hyne…” Quistis walked up beside her.

            “Don’t worry. What’s the worst he can do? Take away a paycheck?” Xu sighed.

            “One paycheck is my food for the month! I told you I wasn’t paid well…”

            “I’ll pay for half the damage. After all, it was my sappiness that got you distracted.” Qusitis offered. Xu shook her head furiously.

            “No way, Quisty, I’m paying for it.” she argued. Quistis gave her, “the look.” “The look” was a blend of Instructor sternness, cute Quisty pleading, and the promise of pain. Xu cringed a little at it, knowing full well how susceptible she was to “the look.”

            “Xu…” Now it was “the voice.” Xu had no desire to go any further into the abyss of guilt and fear of Quisty. She sighed and nodded. Quistis instantly brightened. “Now isn’t that better. So, what do we do?” she asked. Xu looked off towards the distance and let out another sigh. There wasn’t a town for miles. It’d take at least half a day to reach the town or they could go straight for her vacation house. It’d take just about the same amount of time. She silently cursed herself for buying a house so far away. It had seemed like a good idea at the time but now that she was stranded on the way there, it seemed like the worst idea she had ever had.

            “Half a day to go back to town or to the house. Your choice.” Xu replied. Quistis looked at the sky, it was still early and they had plenty of light before it grew dark. Besides, she had brought a few tents just out of habit. If they got lost, then they’d just camp.

            “This road’ll lead us to the house?” she asked.

            “Yep.” Xu answered.

            “Then let’s go for it. I don’t plan on wasting my vacation.”

            “What about the car?” Xu cast a sorrowful glance at the demolished vehicle.

            “We’ll leave it and call a tow truck when we’re at the house. So, let’s get going before we run out of day light.” She said cheerfully. Xu blinked a couple of times, unable to understand exactly how she could be so optimistic at a time like this. She began walking ahead, apparently intent of leaving her behind.

            “H-hey! Wait!” Xu shouted and chased after her.

.

            It wasn’t all that bad of a walk. They were right on the coastline so they were treated to beautiful waves and white foam as well as sun and white cool sand. Quistis yawned and stretched. Xu took off her shoes and walked along the beach barefooted. Quisty followed her example.

            “See, it isn’t so bad. It’s actually quite fun. I finally get to talk with my best friend.” Quistis said, glancing at her. Xu nodded quietly. Quistis stopped walking and waited for her to catch up. “What’s wrong?” I should be asking you that, Xu thought, looking up at her. There were so many things wrong, her life, the car, the thought that Quistis could be hurting herself. She heaved a sigh.

            “It’s nothing.” She lied.

            “Don’t give me that.” Quistis said in a motherly tone, shaking a finger at her. “I’ve said that way too many times and I know when something’s up. So, tell or I’ll throw you into the ocean.” She grasped Xu’s hands and dragged her towards the blue waters. Xu pulled away.

            “What’s got you in such a good mood?” she asked.

            “Well, I’m officially on a vacation that I’ve waited just about my whole life to take and I’m doing it with my best friend. What else could possibly put me in a better mood?” Quistis asked.

            “Maybe if we actually went to some seaside resort and you fell hopelessly in love?” Xu suggested. Quistis stopped running and her shoulders sagged a little.

            “Xu…I…I don’t think I can fall in love.” She sighed.

            “What do you mean? You’re the most perfect person I’ve seen. Don’t tell me you don’t have guys knocking down your door just for a glimpse.”

            “That’s not what I meant. I just mean, emotionally, I don’t feel attached to anyone. I’ve attended tons of SeeD balls and formal dances and parties and met many guys who were perfect but I just couldn’t see myself going with those guys. Maybe I’m born to be a bachelorette.” She looked at the ocean as they kept walking.

            “Quisty…don’t worry…there’s someone out there for you.” Xu said, trying to cheer her up. She smiled and threw an arm around her.

            “But in the mean time, I have you.” She teased and Xu blushed. Luckily, Quistis wasn’t looking. Xu walked along side, Quisty, trying to not to make the situation more awkward that it already was. Quistis’s arm felt especially heavy but that was probably just her imagination. Maybe it was the burden of something deeper…something she couldn’t express.

.

.

.

.

            “HA!! I caught one!” Quistis shouted from the sea. Xu watched in amusement nearby as she struggled with a red fish trying desperately to escape its predator. Xu was an expert at martial arts and her favorite weapon was a pole with blades on either side. Her martial arts enabled her to catch fish at will. By the time Quistis had one, she had caught three.

            “Quisty? You need help there?” She asked as Quistis let out an exasperated moan at having let the fish slip out of her hands.

            “I’m fine thank you. But they should’ve taught a class on how to catch fish with your bare hands.” She pouted, darting her hand into the water again, only to miss. Xu walked up and grabbed the retreating fish quickly and held it up, shaking it in front of Quistis’s face. “You’re so cruel.”

            “I know.”

            “You can’t eat that much.” Quistis argued, noting that Xu had a sizeable amount of fish.

            “Maybe I can, maybe I can’t.” She smiled; this was getting more amusing by the second. She knew how hungry Quistis was and she was going to make her beg for food. It was a pleasing image, the most perfect person in the world begging her for forgiveness.

            “Pig.” Quistis snapped and tried again. Xu shrugged and walked over to the fire, taking out her weapon and gutting the fish. It wasn’t pleasant because the blade was so large but she got the job done. After that, she began cooking the fish and watching as Quistis tried very hard not to lose to the game Xu was playing.

.

.

.

            Zell leaned back on his chair and yawned. He was utterly and completely bored. He had offered to take Xu and Quistis to the site but Xu insisted that the house’s location remain secret to anyone she didn’t invite. Zell had taken offense to that and swore that he would never offer another ride.

            “I thought I might find you here.” Ayane said, walking towards Zell. For the past hour, he had been sitting the cockpit of the Ragnarok wondering why the hell Xu didn’t want a ride in that wonderful machine. He was a mechanic at heart and he loved the Ragnarok dearly. Unfortunately, Selphie loved it just as much as he did and she was busy pouting in the hanger.

            “Quistis is gone so I’ve got no one to bother.” He sighed. Ayane laughed.

            “So you bother her? Well, that’s nice to know, seeing as how she’s always busy and has absolutely no time for slackers and botherers like you.” She giggled. Zell put his feet up on the controls.

            “So, what are you up to?” he asked.

            “I was bored too. All my friends have gone to visit their parents so I’m stuck here with a geek.” Zell slammed his feet down.

            “Hey! I’m not a geek!” He whined.

            “Freak then.” She teased, knowing just how to get on his nerves. He crossed his arms and frowned.

            “Fine, and here I was going to take you for a ride to the Shumi Village.” Ayane jumped up in excitement.

            “Really?!” She shouted.

            “Not anymore.” Zell smirked and put his hands behind his head. Ayane slapped him on the arm. She had always wanted to visit the Shumi Village but unfortunately, she never got the chance. Since Zell was one of the pilots for the Ragnarok, he took her everywhere except the Shumi Village.

            “You’re so mean! I guess I’ll just have to kick you out of our dorm then. And you know I won’t hesitate.”

            “Aww…fine!! But you owe me hotdogs for a week.”

            “Done!” Ayane was one of the few people that didn’t like hotdogs and Zell gladly accepted any hotdog she didn’t want. It was one of the few things in life that worked out nicely. He turned the key and the Ragnarok roared to life.

.

.

.

            Selphie and Irvine fell over during the sudden start. Up until then they were quietly engaged in… “activities” but the sudden movement caused them to break apart. Selphie stood up, brushing the dirt off her shirt.

            “What the heck? What’s Zell doing up there?” She demanded. Irvine shrugged.

            “Wanna go see?” he asked.

            “That’s so unfair! I want to drive!” She snapped and took off towards the elevator. Irvine chuckled, that was his Selphie ever so quickly distracted.

            Zell was driving quite nicely until a small fist slammed into the back of his head, causing him to real forward and the Ragnarok divebombed towards the ground. He looked up instantly and pulled back.

            “What the hell was that for?!” He yelled, turning back at Selphie who was glaring at him with fierce intensity.

            “You took off without informing me!” Zell rubbed the back of his head.

            “Damn…you could’ve gotten us killed. I thought you were too busy with Irvy-Poo to care.” He replied. Selphie giggled at his rendition of the nickname she was so fond of. Irvine smiled.

            “Does Zelly-Welly love me too?” he cooed. Ayane broke out in a fit of laughter and had to hold onto the edge of her seat to steady herself. Selphie joined in the merriment as the macho men stared in confusion.

            “You getting this?” Zell asked. Irvine only shook his head, not wanting to get too deep into the girls’ situation.

.

.

.

            Squall wondered exactly what happened. One minute he was outside for a nice brisk walk and the next minute, the Ragnarok was speeding by, nearly flattening him. He had jumped out of the way and ruined his pants in the process by jumping straight into mud. He walked towards the Balamb elevator, ignoring the looks of students as he walked by, mud stained and all. He gently nudged Nida to one side and opened the communication line.

            “Zell, what the hell do you think you’re doing?”

            “Oh, hey bossman.” Zell replied sheepishly. “Well, uh…Ayane wanted to go to the Shumi Village and seeing as how we’re really not doing anything, I decided to take her.” Squall sighed.

            “Zell, you’re supposed to get clearance first! Do you understand you’re in a position to be demoted a rank?” Squall snapped. There was an audible whimper from the other side. “Who else is with you?”

            “Irvine and Selphie.” He answered meekly. Squall slapped his forehead.

            “Well, what’s done is done. Just get back as soon as possible. If you don’t return in a day, I’m lowering your rank one.”

            “No probs!” The communication was cut off. Nida looked at him with a smile.

            “You’re going soft.” He chuckled. Squall shot him a glare and went towards the dorms to take a shower.

            Squall entered his room and Rinoa looked up from the bed, wrinkling her nose when she saw how dirty he was.

            “What happened to you?” She asked, putting down her magazine. Squall sighed and shook his head.

            “Zell broke protocol.” He replied.

            “What else is new?” She giggled. “Where did they go this time?”

            “Shumi Village. Ayane wanted to go so Zell did what she wanted.” He took off his jacket and his shirt, depositing them in a bin for cleaning.

            “I wish I was pampered like that.” Rinoa sighed, putting on a sad face. Squall smirked and shrugged. He stepped into the bathroom and closed the door.

            “You’re spoiled enough.” He shouted from the other side. Rinoa looked in shock and anger at him but that soon broke into a smile. She’d get him back later, she always did. The sound of the shower resonated throughout the room.

.

.

.

            Quistis finally caught a fish by casting stop on it. She sauntered over to Xu and sat down. Xu was quite full and she didn’t really get to finish the fish. In fact, she was full after two. Quistis on the other hand was ravenous due to the amount of effort it took for her to catch just one.

            “See?” She smirked. “I caught one. I didn’t need your help after all.” She gutted the fish and ate quietly. Xu stood up and walked over to the edge of the water, dipping her hand in as the waves lapped at the beach.

            “You’d better hurry. We’re running out of time as it is. If it gets dark, we’re in big trouble. Lots of monsters come out during the night to hunt.”

            “You scared?” Quistis asked slyly.

            “Not really. I just don’t want to be going back and telling Squall all about how a Malboro ate his Instructor.” She replied with a casual smile. Quistis made a very distasteful face.

            “Eww…they don’t have an attack called Bad Breath for nothing…” she cringed at the thought of even coming within feet of a Malboro’s mouth. She quickly gobbled down the rest of her fish and put out the fire. She ran to catch up with Xu.

            “How long do you think it’ll take?” She asked. Xu shrugged.

            “I dunno, maybe four hours? Five?” She replied. Quistis checked her watch and sighed. If Xu’s guess was even remotely correct, it’d be nine when they arrived. Such a long walk…

Onwards to Part 6


Back to King's Heart Index - Back to Final Fantasy 8 Shoujo-Ai Fanfiction